Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on February 3, 2014 by Allahpundit

These ad pros divided their top picks into two categories: A trio of ads expected to come out on top in the annual USA Today Ad Meter, and three personal favorites.

The only commercial to make both lists was Coca-Cola’s feel good anthem “America the Beautiful” sung in seven languages over scenes of Americans of different ethnicities spending time together…

“They’ve tried to do it in the past but it hasn’t worked because it was just a rerun,” said Bill McKendry… “This one broke new ground by having all the languages. It is celebrating what America is about at its core.”…

“I think they are loving this controversy because it extends the life of the ad,” McKendry said. “They are going to win because this generates debate and they are going to come out on the popular side.”

***

“‘It’s Beautiful’ was created to celebrate Coke moments among all Americans who together enjoy ice cold, refreshing Coke. For centuries America has opened its arms to people of many countries who have helped to build this great nation. ‘It’s Beautiful’ provides a snapshot of the real lives of Americans representing diverse ethnicities, religions, races and families, all found in the United States. All those featured in the ad are Americans and “America The Beautiful” was sung by bilingual American young women.

We believe ‘It’s Beautiful’ is a great example of the magic that makes our country so special, and a powerful message that spreads optimism, promotes inclusion and celebrates humanity – values that are core to Coca-Cola.”

***

I am quite sure there may be some who appreciated the commercial, but Coca Cola missed the mark in my opinion. If we cannot be proud enough as a country to sing “American the Beautiful” in English in a commercial during the Super Bowl, by a company as American as they come — doggone we are on the road to perdition. This was a truly disturbing commercial for me, what say you?

***

The Coca Cola Super Bowl commercial featuring a rendition of “America the Beautiful” sung in different languages was also the first Super Bowl advertisement to feature a gay family.

The male couple and their daughter appeared about 45 seconds into the minute-long ad at a roller rink…

“Including a gay family in this ad is not only a step forward for the advertising industry, but a reflection of the growing majority of Americans from all walks of life who proudly support their LGBT friends, family and neighbors as integral parts of ‘America the Beautiful,’ GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis said in a statement.

According to the LGBT organization, the ad will also air during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Coca-Cola is a sponsor of the games.

***

Now, here is my recommendation of what the Coca Cola marketing executives should have done. Coke’s “America the Beautiful” should have been sung in English and showed Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen of diverse races, sex, and creed deployed all over the world drinking Coca Cola. If you truly want to show a diverse commitment to service, sacrifice, and honor that enables us to live in “America the Beautiful” that would have been rated the best commercial advertisement of the Super Bowl. And we would be here talking about how we were all touched emotionally…

Commonality of language unites and enables the passing of a national character to subsequent generations and to all those who – legally — come to our shores.

***

Let’s calm down before we jump to hasty conclusions, people. Many people, including most of our ancestors, came to America speaking little to no English. Yes, most of them eventually learned English – something citizens of this country should do. There was nothing in the commercial that denounced that.

The U.S. is comprised of people from different countries, many who speak two, three or more languages. I only wish I could say that of myself.

The was was Americana at its most diverse and it showcased some of the nation’s most iconic scenes: the California coastline, New York streets, Arizona desert and more…

I don’t believe in open borders, free for all amnesty or changing America’s official language. That doesn’t mean I can’t celebrate the country we are – with the thousands of languages spoken within our borders every day from sea to shining sea.

***

The xenophobic protesters had one thing right: we do speak English in America. We speak it on official business and in Super Bowl broadcasts; we use it in publications like this one.

But that’s not all we do. People like my immigrant mother and her immigrant sisters learn English as adults and raise their kids to speak it, and also speak French and Arabic at family get-togethers and on phone calls. We speak English in school and Spanish with grandparents and Spanglish with friends. We speak Creole and Chinese and Tagalog sitting down to family dinners–maybe with a bottle or two of Coke around the table, which is why Coke is smart to recognize this.

We come to America, in other words, and we become American–but we don’t erase everything else that we were before, we don’t forget our cultures and languages as if they never existed, and we don’t hide them as if they’re shameful or less than patriotic. We bring them out and share them, and they make this country better and stronger. America isn’t weakened because people don’t submit to a monoculture; it’s strong because it can absorb the peoples and aspirations and talents of the rest of the world without erasing their cultures.

***

***

But perhaps those of us who care about inequality and racism should be angry, too. Coca-Cola’s diversity ad wasn’t purposed just to celebrate the reality of a multi-ethnic America. It was to sell soda to rapidly-expanding but vulnerable populations, even if that means contributing to serious health problems, exploiting divides in class and education, and exacerbating racial inequality…

But that doesn’t mean we should be applauding soda companies, even if their ads tug at our heartstrings and our liberal values. It means consumers should have more affordable options, corporate advertising of unhealthy food should be regulated more tightly and Americans should be collectively enraged at our obscenely low wages and lack of a comprehensive social safety net – the things that create unhealthy, perverse incentives for consumers. It means we should cast a critical eye when soda companies fly the flag of diversity, when, in fact, their product contributes to stark racial inequalities.

Coke’s targeting of Latino and other immigrant populations is about as progressive as RJ Reynolds marketing menthol cigarettes to African-Americans or Phillip Morris hawking Virginia Slims to women – that is, not very. Before we applaud Coke’s advertising diversity, we should ask: do we really want Coke to diversify?

***

People being outraged about everything under the sun has been a theme on Twitter for a while. Media outlets hunting down the outrage and publicizing it as a relatively cheap way to score hits from people who like to be outraged about the outrage of other people followed not long after. For the Coca-Cola commercial, reaction tweets were posted at USA Today, E! Online, the Daily Mail, Talking Points Memo, Mediaite, and likely others…

“Man on the Street” pieces were never all that interesting or useful to begin with, but at least it involved an actual person in an actual place who chose to share his or her opinions to a reporter for our evaluation. This nearly contextless sharing of random angry tweets illuminates even less. But it’s good for stirring up a round of counteroutrage, isn’t it? And that counteroutrage at some anonymous, undefined number of people behaving badly on the Internet makes some others feel more superior, doesn’t it?…

I am outraged by how utterly pedestrian it is. This could have been a Levi’s ad five years ago. It could be advertising anything.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

B.More!

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 10:41 PM

ratso!

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Ratso has no balls!

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Terryann will be here explaining how racist everyone on HA is.

RickB on February 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM

The Ratster comes home at seven thirty in the morning. Thgink he’ll be pissed?

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Results for #coke

Results for #speakamerican

Results for #boycottcoke

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I’m not outraged by the ad (didn’t get to see it aired during gametime anyway). I’m just pissed that NO ONE will ever get to see a conservative alternative on TV, because we either don’t try or are too afraid to stand by the courage of our convictions. F*CK THE PC MACHINE!

nobar on February 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM

RickB on February 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM

She was absolutely annoying in that earlier thread today…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:46 PM

============================================

It appeared to me as a Pro Illegal Immigrant AD!

And yes,..the otherside, says thats Bigotry/Racism!!!

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Which is… Balkanization?

FU, Coke. If you can’t do it in English, leave it alone. Get your own song.

bofh on February 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM

ratso!

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Ratso has no balls!

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Somebody had better sleep with one eye open in case Ratso decides it’s payback time….

viking01 on February 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Wow … how does AP keep on coming up with QOTD themes only Liberals and RINO’s would care to discuss?

… Is it talent or predisposition?

PolAgnostic on February 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM

America is over, people. Now we’re just dickering over the speed into obscurity.

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Gap.

Bmore on February 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Multiculturalism is national suicide as demonstrated by history.

Stop celebrating your differences you f’ing morons. Celebrate the things that unite you and in our modern nation state that means the tenants of our free civil society.

This is why I despise the pandering of the modern GOP.

Meat Fighter on February 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

She was absolutely annoying in that earlier thread today…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:46 PM

excuse me-but I’m the most annoying person here!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I am damned sick and fed up of being called a racist for wanting our borders enforced. I have blood relatives with Mexican, black, Chinese, Filipino. American Indian and other races flowing through their veins. I happen to be German/Danish, but I am not a racist…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Coca Cola Advert – I’d Like To Teach The World To Sing
******************************************************

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 10:52 PM

viking01 on February 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Guess I’ll sleep in the basement Morrow and lock the door from the inside…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM

viking01 on February 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Ratso is an applehead, not a wedgehead so Omaha should be OK.

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM

damnit. Tomorrow…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:54 PM

♫Quiero instructarse el Mundo en (what ‘Twerp said once) armonía.♫ ?

viking01 on February 3, 2014 at 10:54 PM

excuse me-but I’m the most annoying person here!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Heh. You got a ways to go before you’re hagfish material.

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Ratso is an applehead, not a wedgehead so Omaha should be OK.

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM

According to ALT, I have the superior kind of Meezer…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

OmahaConservative: I hear ya Bro, and agree with you.

My wife is half German as well:)

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM

What America needs is more poverty-stricken pro-big government voters — and not learning English is a fantastic means to that end.

Jeddite on February 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM

excuse me-but I’m the most annoying person here!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

That temp ban did give your claim much street cred. Props!

I kid, I kid…

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

terryannonline was out of control earlier–forgot which thread…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM

viking01 on February 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Ratso is an applehead, not a wedgehead so Omaha should be OK.

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Better to lock up any electric scissors or tools just to be safe…

Siamese cats are clever with long memories.

viking01 on February 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM

eren ‏@seren077 21m

This makes me embarrssed to live in this country… people are so ignorant by using #speakamerican
=====================

Henry Campos ‏@HanktheBankroll Feb 2

I guarantee that if I sang Das Deutschlandlied in English, Germans would be looking at me cross-eyed. What’re you doing Coke? #SpeakAmerican

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM

============================================

islam isn’t an ‘ethnicity’.
That young lady in the screencap is lovely-really-but the amira that she’s wearing isn’t ‘shouting’ melting pot.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2014 at 10:58 PM

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Good ‘un…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:58 PM

ey Ney ‏@BigDyTerminator Feb 2

I speak English. My co-worker speaks Chinese.My friend speaks Irish.My husband’s family speaks Hebrew; mine, Italian. We all #SpeakAmerican
=====================================================================

Jessica McLean ‏@jessica_mcleann Feb 2

It is embarrassing, intolerant, and disappointing that #speakamerican began trending after Coke’s commercial.

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 10:58 PM

when..if ever…will they learn..
not to push political agenda in your adds…

another example is cheerios..
its a breakfast cereal..
not a vehicle to push different race marriage..

you shouldn’t have to explain inter-race marriage to your 2 year old over breakfast..
all you really want is for your lil one to have breakfast.. without too much sugar it..
stop with all the political messaging in simple adverts..

going2mars on February 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM

was also the first Super Bowl advertisement to feature a gay family.

Didn’t even notice…coulda been two brothers and little sister or the daughter of one of them for all I know. On the bright side, another “first” out of the way.

Brat on February 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Maybe, but probably only if you sang the banned “Ueber Alles” verses.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 3, 2014 at 11:00 PM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM

It was the Rubio thread. Both she and illinidiva were getting nose bleeds from sitting on their high horses.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Is it too much to ask for a positive ad focusing on the greatness of this country that doesn’t instantly go PC? Is the Paul Harvey ad the best we can do?

NATIONAL DIVORCE! Because there are, indeed, 2 (or more) Americas.

nobar on February 3, 2014 at 11:01 PM

excuse me-but I’m the most annoying person non-troll here!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

No offense, ALT

PolAgnostic on February 3, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Coca-Cola pressured law firm King & Spalding to drop their DOMA defense on behalf of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Coca-Cola sucks and I haven’t used any of their products in a couple of years.

Here is a list of coke’s products

jaime on February 3, 2014 at 11:02 PM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Look up the definition of racist from any online dictionary and post it …

… I’d like to make a point about “racism”.

PolAgnostic on February 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM

I do so enjoy a sanctimonious lecture from Erick Erickson from time to time.
I am sorry we embarrass him sometimes.

NeoKong on February 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM

No offense, ALT but YOU have never annoyed any of us to the level of libdie, drywall, verbie or a half dozen others.

PolAgnostic on February 3, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Well, I agree with you on the drywall thing, but libdie and verbie? Meh. I like it when Del calls him verbaloon.

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM

UGH!

Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism

The Huffington Post Rebecca Searles First Posted: 02/01/2012 7:52 am EST Updated: 04/09/2013 6:04 pm EDT
*******************************

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 11:04 PM

So why are you telling me this in English?

Wouldn’t it be much better to hear the mellifluous tones of another tongue?

Axeman on February 3, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Don’t you know that all of those non-English speaking people here in the US are tourists and will eventually leave?

I drink diet Pepsi anyway.

Vince on February 3, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Me thinks,

Coca Cola was trying to hit a world marketing idea,..they just so happened
to use the US of A as that vechicle!!

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 11:06 PM

The Tebow ad was good.

22044 on February 3, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Has anyone told these idiots that America the beautiful isn’t the national anthem…..

libfreeordie on February 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Remember when we used to all sing in harmony?

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM

libfreeordie on February 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Is that what they’re bitchin’ about? Please tell me… NO! Oh God…

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Cha..Duh! ‏@ChaSoHard 5m

This #SpeakAmerican hashtag is BEYOND ignorant. Really? America doesn’t have an official language. Read a book please! Educate yourself!

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 11:08 PM

libfreeordie on February 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Is that what they’re b!tchin’ about? Please tell me… NO! Oh God…

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM

No-because I was only a year old(maybe less) when that ad came out…and my parents weren’t hippies.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2014 at 11:08 PM

America the Beautiful is a patriotic song. If you want to sell your sugar swill, use another song.
And, if you want to be successful in the US, speak English.
And, Erick Erickson is a jackhole.

RovesChins on February 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Valley of the Dolls

jaime on February 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Coca Cola was trying to hit a world marketing idea,..

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Hmmm… Maybe, they thought they could save a little money by making a Super Bowl and Winter Olympic two-fer?

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Our “Ten Least Wanted” list is a diverse collection of character faults, each of whom is repellant in their own disgusting manner.

Besides, it’s EASY to ALT riled … just pick a “hot button” topic from the ALT Jeopardy Board:

“I’ll take ‘Tips on Hunting/Skinng Rabbits’ for $ 500, Alex.”

PolAgnostic on February 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM

And, Erick Erickson is a jackhole.

RovesChins on February 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM

That Palin-bashing weasel is all that and a bag of chips, but I can guarantee you Pepsi does its share of ‘un-American’ stuff as well.

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Look up the definition of racist from any online dictionary and post it …

… I’d like to make a point about “racism”.

PolAgnostic on February 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM

rac·ist
[rey-sist] Show IPA
noun
a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that a certain human race is superior to any or all others.
adjective
of or like racists or racism: racist policies; racist attitudes.
Origin:
race2 (n.) + -ist

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 11:11 PM

“I’ll take ‘Tips on Hunting/Skinng Rabbits’ for $ 500, Alex.”

PolAgnostic on February 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I got the shark-eating video daily double.

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Official English

Founding Fathers and Official English

There never was a deliberate decision against making English the official language of the United States. With English as the language of the Constitution, the Founding Fathers, and the vast majority of the population, a declaration of English as our official language may have seemed superfluous. Quite simply, it may not have occurred to them to do so.

Of the fifty-five delegates to the Constitutional Convention in 1787, only eight were not born in the United States. Of those eight, four were from Ireland, two from England, one from Scotland, and one (Alexander Hamilton) was born in the West Indies. We have found no evidence to show that any of them had a first language other than English.

This does not mean that none of them did, just that we cannot find any evidence of it. For instance, while it is possible that at least one of the four Irish-born delegates spoke Irish Gaelic as his first language, the very fact of their success in the English-speaking American colonies weighs against the possibility. Surely the story of the immigrant who learned English and went on to become a delegate to the Constitutional Convention would be a story worth mentioning. The absence of such a story strongly suggests that all the delegates were native English speakers. (More….)
======================

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM

It didn’t bother me, because it can’t begin to compare to Ray Charles:

notropis on February 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Flora Duh was here today…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM

“I’ll take ‘Tips on Hunting/Skinng Rabbits’ for $ 500, Alex.”

PolAgnostic on February 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM

PolAgnostic: That better be in English!:)

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM

How’d we lose the link? Because it’s youtube?

link

No, my bad….

notropis on February 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM

libfreeordie on February 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmm ……..

OK … Would someone tell libslave “America the Beautiful” is NOT the national anthem?

;->

PolAgnostic on February 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM

And, Erick Erickson is a jackhole.

RovesChins on February 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Obama and Reggie snort Pepsi, but Erick Erickson is still an asstastic rino hump.

RovesChins on February 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM

one who dares criticize the Obama affirmative-action disaster.

viking01 on February 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM

We, as a nation, are being deluged with propaganda, not even deluged, but browbeaten.

I can guarantee those choosing to ‘educate’ Americans on multiculturalism and diversity are forcing the opposite reaction in many.

There’s a high water mark for everything. Those pushing the ‘globalization’ ‘cosmopolitan’ ‘multi-culti’ propaganda, claiming to celebrate all cultures and ethnic groups, have exceeded the boundaries of good taste and now make it clear that they value the unique American culture least of all, and in fact, hold anyone expressing the desire to honor and preserve that unique American culture in derision.

To those advertisers, the media, and the entertainment industry: You’ve exceeded that saturation point, and waded into intolerance.

thatsafactjack on February 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM

I’m surprised it wasn’t sung in Esperanto.

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM

I drink diet Pepsi with the Obama logo on it anyway.

Vince on February 3, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Just to make you feel better.

RickB on February 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM

wedgehead meezer

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM

That thing is ugly. Simian, almost. Glad my cats are appleheads.

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Good evening peeps and peepettes… :)

Scrumpy on February 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM

libfreeordie on February 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Hey Michael Eric.
Rush was close with the late Ken Hutcherson, a black conservative preacher in the Seattle area.
Too much for you to handle, huh?

22044 on February 3, 2014 at 11:16 PM

SCRUMPERS!!!

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Flora Duh was here today…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Flora Duh is back, Omaha?

That’s great!:)

Good evening. :) Did you get your birthday wish?

thatsafactjack on February 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Hey Jackie, I’m in a melancholy mood with Ratso’s absence. How about a melancholy tune?

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM

thatsafactjack on February 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Right On Jackie!!

Scrumpy on February 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Not as cute as the fatheads.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM

wedgehead meezer

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM

That cat looks homicidal. You better just take your lumps and give him your balls; gift wrapped.

RovesChins on February 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Woman Woman

jaime on February 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM

The male couple and their daughter

I missed Bruce’s baby shower? Dang! I hope he didn’t mistake flatulence for labor pain and cause his poor husband to panic needlessly.

whatcat on February 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Lancerman!! :)

Scrumpy on February 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM

**America,..Buck Up on English Language **
(snark)

My City:

Sault Ste. Marie language resolution

The Sault Ste. Marie language resolution was a government motion passed on January 29, 1990 by Sault Ste. Marie City Council, the governing body of the city of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada,

which resolved that English was the sole working language of city government.

The resolution ignited a national controversy

which made the city a flashpoint

in the Meech Lake Accord debate.

The Sault Ste. Marie resolution was not the first of its kind in Ontario, but Sault Ste. Marie was the largest municipality to pass such a resolution and bore the brunt of the controversy.

Background

Sault Ste. Marie was originally founded by French-speaking missionaries in 1623 but had become overwhelmingly English-speaking by the twentieth century.

In response to a French-language education controversy which began in 1987 when a group of Franco-Ontarian families lobbied to have a new French school opened in the city, the Sault Alliance for the Preservation of English Language Rights (SAPELR) was formed and began circulating petitions to have this resolution passed by council. The group worked in concert with the Alliance for the Preservation of English in Canada (APEC), a lobby group which was concurrently campaigning against the provincial government’s French Language Services Act. Although that law dealt only with provincial government services, APEC’s strategy was to convince municipalities that they would be required to provide services in French, regardless of cost or benefit, in an attempt to convince the municipalities to pass this type of resolution. As a result of the schooling controversy, the SAPELR petition quickly garnered over 25,000 signatures.

The resolution was widely seen as retaliation for Quebec Premier Robert Bourassa’s move to override the Supreme Court of Canada ruling that declared parts of Bill 101 unconstitutional. Bill 101 had declared French as the only official language of Quebec.
Text of the resolution

Whereas the City of Sault Ste. Marie is composed of many different ethnic groups, languages and cultures;

And whereas the City of Sault Ste. Marie has always shown respect for each of these cultures by providing preferential treatment for none;

And whereas the City of Sault Ste. Marie has throughout its history had one common working language for all of its written and oral communications, which is English;

And whereas the preferred common language of commerce, business, trade, science and normal everyday activities is English;

Now therefore be it resolved that the Corporation of the City of Sault Ste. Marie in the interests of maintaining goodwill, harmony and sound and responsible fiscal management continue as it has in the past to accept the use of English as the official language of communication with its citizens and with all levels of government, thereby demonstrating the concept of equality for each ethnic, cultural and language group in its jurisdiction.

And further resolved in accordance with the Provisions of the Municipal Act of Ontario Part VII and more specifically Section 104a of Said Act the Council of the Corporation of the City of Sault Ste. Marie declares English to be the official language of the said Corporation.[1]
(More……………………………..)
==========================================

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Scrumpy on February 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Good evening, Spritely One. :) Wonderful to see you.

thatsafactjack on February 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM

thatsafactjack on February 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Hi Jackie. I noticed the other day that people were referring to you as MG, or MJ, or JG or something. What’s that about?

jaime on February 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM

A famous Democrat once had this to say, in regards to immigrants and language (emphasis mine):

In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American…There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile…We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language…and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

Wanderlust on February 3, 2014 at 11:19 PM

“E Pluribus Unum”…

“Unity” and “Unum” both refer to ONE.

Having ONE language helps our nation have unity and helps the many become one.

Having that exact same ad, but with each singer singing in English, would have been a beautiful ad which celebrates both diversity and unity.

However, having the singers sing in a plurality of languages sends the opposite message…

…essentially E Pluribus Pluribus – from many, many, NOT one.

ITguy on February 3, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Multiculturalism is national suicide as demonstrated by history.
This is why I despise the pandering of the modern GOP.
Meat Fighter on February 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM

The things that unite us? Like a song and Coca-Cola? Just saying…

aryeung on February 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM

RovesChins on February 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM

The Ratster is an applehead

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM

The Ratster is an applehead…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM

That could be JR as a baby!

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM

you Pepsi does its share of ‘un-American’ stuff as well.

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 11:10 PM