Christie: Once again, “I had nothing to do with this”

posted at 9:01 pm on February 3, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

As Ed noted this morning, Chris Christie’s office was back on “Bridgegate” offense over the weekend after Friday’s not-bombshell bombshell, courtesy of the New York Times; and here’s the audio-visual followup from the man himself in a radio interview this evening, via CNN. Christie’s been consistent in his responses to the whole rumpus so far, and the NYT’s published-and-then-scaled-back allegations didn’t do anything to change his story: “The most important issue is, did I know anything about the plan to close these lanes? Did I authorize it? Did I know about it? Did I approve it? Did I have any knowledge of it beforehand? And the answer is still the same, it’s unequivocally no. And in fact, no one’s ever accused me of that. … So, my dispute is, twofold. First: To make clear to everybody in the midst of all the things that were reported over the weekend, that nobody has said that I knew anything about this before it happened. I think that’s the most important question. Secondly, when this first became an issue for me, because, let’s face it, Eric, there’s traffic every day… that’s not something that rises to the gubernatorial level.”

Comments

Who gives a sh!t whether you did or didn’t. You were never gonna be President.

Lanceman on February 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM

…the politburo press doesn’t care fatso!…they have a job to do!

KOOLAID2 on February 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Seriously, Christie, it’s over.

You’re stuck in New Jersey for at least another four years!

PolAgnostic on February 3, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I don’t think he did either but I’m pretty okay with this damaging his chances for the nomination.

gophergirl on February 3, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Why wasn’t this saved for the QOTD thread?

de rigueur on February 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Part of the stupidity of the Stupid Party is their inability to learn that the media is not on their side!

Play nice with the Dems and their President all you want, it’ll never get you a spot at their table unless you’re paying the check.

Ukiah on February 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

I said the other day that this is so frustrating and anger inducing.

Why these See You Next Tuesdays can’t show even a quarter of the interest in Benghazi, NSA, IRS, F&F, ObamaScare, etc, etc, etc.

$%^#%

kim roy on February 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM

The dems will always have people who say, “I swear, this time communism is gonna be different,” and the GOP will always have people who say, “Yeah, the media hates those other guys, but I’m a moderate so they really, really like me.”

As the saying goes: You can’t fix stupid.

Rational Thought on February 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Transcripty:

Published on Feb 3, 2014

Ask The Governor, 2/3/2014. (Transcript Below)

Governor Christie: Well Eric, listen let’s make one thing clear right off the bat which I think is the most important issue and the most important issue is did I know anything about the plan to close these lanes? Did I authorize it? Did I know about it? Did I approve it? Did I have any knowledge of it beforehand and the answer is still the same, it’s unequivocally no. And in fact, no one has ever accused me of that and that’s the thing that I think people in New Jersey care about the most. Now, when did I first know about the lane closures. You know the fact is that the first time this really came into my consciousness as an issue was when Pat Foye, the Executive Director of the Port Authority’s email about this incident was leaked to the media and reported on. And that was the first time that I got a sense of, there might be some issue here.

Eric Scott: And who brought that to your attention? Was that staff?

Governor Christie: No it was news accounts. I mean…

Eric Scott: But you read them personally or did somebody bring it to your attention?

Governor Christie: No I read it.

Eric Scott: You read it.

Governor Christie: I read it in the Wall Street Journal. And it was that day then when I read that Pat Foye was saying, ‘I didn’t know about this. It wasn’t cleared through me.’ And whatever else he said in that email. That’s when I asked my Chief of Staff and Chief Counsel. I said to them hey, would you look into this and see what’s going on here? Now if prior to that, I know prior to that that there were press accounts about traffic issues up there and you know if someone, if I either read that or someone said something to me about traffic issues up there, it wouldn’t have been meaningful to me. I didn’t know that there was any problem up there because you know I didn’t know that we had actually closed lanes up there before that.

So my dispute is two-fold. First, to make clear to everybody in the midst of all the things that were reported over the weekend that nobody has said that I knew anything about this before it happened and I think that’s the most important question. Secondly that when this first became an issue for me because let’s face it, Eric, there’s traffic every day at the George Washington Bridge, at the Lincoln Tunnel, at the Holland Tunnel. I hear those reports on the radio. We all hear about them. That’s not something that rises to the gubernatorial level. When this first became clear to me that this was a potential issue was when the Foye email was put out. Now like I said to you, there were press accounts before. Whether I read any of those, if I did or heard anything from anybody about traffic, it would not have been meaningful to me. Because now we’re looking at it in the prism of knowing everything we know since January 8. Back then this was not a major issue. And it became one to me in terms of finding out what was going on when the Foye email came out.

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Ahhhh, more fat-boy…
Thanks for the birthday gift, Erika…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Try closing one lane to your pie hole. You might lose a few pounds and save some food for the rest of us.

SparkPlug on February 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM

New Jersey 101.5
@nj1015

New Jersey · nj1015.com
************************

New Jersey 101.5 ‏@nj1015 1h

For complete coverage of Ask the Governor and stories from the show,

go to http://nj1015.com

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Has anyone ever seen that cartoon where animals are sleeping in bed and snoring, and every time they breathe in the blankets roll up, then roll back out again when they breathe out

jaime on February 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Results for #Bridgegate

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM

The Lynch Mob media must have a pound of flesh every few days.

Christ Christie a couple of weeks ago. The whole Georgia traffic debacle late last week. Now they are going after Woody Allen to a lesser degree, just wait in a couple of days it will be someone else (hopefully a Conservative or in the case of the Jersey Mauler, a Ruling Class RINO).

Who will the media turn on this week?

PappyD61 on February 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Part Deux Sumpins:

VIDEO:(2:24)
Governor Christie To New Jersey: Something Like This Will Not Happen Again

Published on Feb 3, 2014
*************************
*************************

Ask The Governor, 2/3/2014. (Transcript Below)

Governor Christie: What I’m curious about, Eric. What I’m curious about is what happened here. And that (video skips) an internal investigation as I talked about on January 9th.

Eric Scott: Mmm hmm.

Christie: And we’ve hired a law firm to come in and do that internal investigation. They’re working really hard. They’re working diligently. And I can’t wait for them to be finished so that I can get the full story, here.

Eric Scott: And this is the internal investigation of your staff to determine who may have known –

Governor Christie: Right

Eric Scott: — What?

Governor Christie: And get into the situation. I mean, we’re going to try to get as much information as we possibly can by interviewing folks and reviewing documents that are in our possession that we have access to. And then they’re going to give a report. And so that’s what I’m really anxious to find out about.

Eric Scott: Is there a timeline on that?

Governor Christie: My timeline for them is as quickly as possible.

Eric Scott: Because you made it clear during that press conference if you find out anybody else on your staff lied that there are going to be repercussions.

Governor Christie: They’ll be fired. I mean listen, here’s the thing that I find so interesting is what’s going on now with all this other stuff? It’s just a game of gotcha. You know it, you ,know when did I first learn about this or that. Well, the fact of the matter is I’ve been very clear about this. Before these lanes were closed, I knew nothing about it. I didn’t plan it. I didn’t authorize it. I didn’t approve it. I knew nothing about it. Thereafter, and I’ve said this a number of times before, it became clear to me that this was an issue that I had to have somebody look into when the Foye email came out. So, in the period of time before that, there were press accounts. You know, things could have been mentioned to me about traffic at any point in time. None of it was memorable to me, Eric, because I didn’t know there was any issue. So, what I’m curious about — I’m sure the documents will eventually, I’ll get a chance to look at them. I mean, I don’t even know if we’ve gotten copies of them at this point in the Governor’s Office because they were produced to the Legislature. But, what I’m really curious about is the folks that I’ve hired. We hired a national law firm to come in, being led by a former Assistant United States Attorney who is leading an internal investigation who has done a lot of interviews, I know already. And I want to find out what happened here so I can make changes if necessary. If there’s anybody else that needs to be held to account, I’ll hold them to account. And then to make changes hopefully so I can assure the people of New Jersey that something like this won’t happen again.

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM

The NeverEnding Christie Bridge Story!!

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 9:32 PM

OT – Flora Duh posted on the Obama trainwreck interview thread. Check it out.

22044 on February 3, 2014 at 9:35 PM

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Thanks for the transcript. Despite all the fog created by the hyperventilating in the media and the dishonest, smear-merchant, commenters on this site, it’s becoming increasing clear that I was one of the few people who got this right from the outset. Chris Christie did not decide to risk his career and freedom over anything as brain-dead stupid and petty as engineering a “get even’ traffic jam”.

Basilsbest on February 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM

At this point what does it matter? The nature of the evidence is irrelevant. All that matters is the seriousness of the charge. I can’t recall. I didn’t have sex with that woman. I am not a crook bully.

Fenris on February 3, 2014 at 9:40 PM

UGH!!

How high school explains Chris Christie’s problems

By Aaron Blake
February 3 at 6:30 am
**************************

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM

You most certainly did have something to do with hugging Obama on the beach.

Bitter Clinger on February 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Basilsbest on February 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Basilbest: The radio interview popped up, a couple hours,

I too, don’t think he was that stupid to toss himself
under the bridge, er, bus!:)
=======================================

George Washington Bridge ramp closings scandal
2h
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie: ‘Unequivocally,’ he had no knowledge of lane-closure plans – @CBSNews live video
read more on cbsnews.com

canopfor on February 3, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Basilsbest on February 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I did. And I’ve gone further. I’ve said this is an opportunity for him and he could emerge stronger than before. If he squares off against the media and collects the scalp of the NY Times he’ll redefine the RINO brand and be better positioned than ever to claim the nomination. This has nothing to do with whether I like him or not, just how this could turn out.

rrpjr on February 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM

gophergirl on February 3, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I’m more than okay. One less gun grabbing, Muslim and illegal alien loving RINO to deal with.

TxAnn56 on February 3, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Chris Christie gave us Corey Booker, future progressive President of the United States. He also gave Obama momentum after Hurricane Sandy. I don’t care if he knew or didn’t know. His chances of getting the nomination are now zero and I am loving every second of his fall. Screw you, Christie.

Jack_Burton on February 3, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I don’t like Christie. I don’t like Rachel Maddow. But I was intrigued by about 15 minutes of her show I watched where they have emails between his staff members discussing the mayor of Fort Lee, that his emails were blocked, ” he got through by using someone else’s e-mails” and they refer to him in their official correspondence as “the FINE mayor from Fort Lee” and Maddow cuts that with statements out of Christie’s mouth that he didn’t know who the hell he was.

Seriously, his supporters believe this? If you buy it you have to believe he’s totally clueless as to what goes on around him.

Marcus on February 3, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Don’t care. RINO fat man is never going my vote anyway!

Doomsday on February 4, 2014 at 4:48 AM

The Obama lie: I’m a victim of my hand-chosen loyal underlings, just doesn’t cut it–evidence or not.

We have seen both your souls and are reminded of Hillary’s, “the willful suspension of disbelief” comment.

Don L on February 4, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Christie: “I had nothing to do with this …

… except for planning it, ordering it and lying about it (burp).”

Pork-Chop on February 4, 2014 at 8:04 AM