Maine Supreme Court locks in transgender student bathroom rights

posted at 3:31 pm on February 2, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

I’ve been to Maine quite a few times, dating back to my childhood. A couple of years ago I saw a moose there. Once, when I went there with my dad as a kid, we were pretty sure we saw a gray wolf. But I never saw anything like this.

The Maine Supreme Judicial Court on Thursday guaranteed the right of a transgender child to use the school bathroom designated for the gender with which he or she identifies.

It is the first time any court in the nation has ruled it is unlawful to force a transgender child to use the school bathroom designated for the sex he or she was born with rather than the one with which the child identifies, according to the Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders of Boston, which represented the girl and her family.

“This sends a message to my children that you can believe in the system,” Wayne Maines, the father of Nicole Maines, the girl at the center of the case, said Thursday afternoon in a conference call.

An emotional Wayne Maines said that he was proud of his wife, Kelly Maines, Nicole Maines and her identical twin brother, Jonas Maines. The children now are 16. Wayne Maines live in Orono. Kelly Maines and the children live in southern Maine, where Nicole and Jonas attend private school.

At the Corner, Wesley Smith thinks this may cause more problems than it solves.

The focus on bathrooms is misplaced. In CA, a girl with a penis will have to be allowed to use the girl’s locker rooms and allowed on female sports teams, and vice versa.

It used to be that to have a sex change officially recognized, you had to undergo counseling and obtain a court-ordered change of birth certificate. That at least brought some structure to this very sensitive issue.

No more.

GLAAD advocates assert this will reduce bullying. Alas, I think the opposite is true.

Not to detract from what Wesley is saying, but isn’t childhood hard enough (and confusing enough) as it is? Yes, bullying is also a problem in schools (among both genders) and Smith has a point in saying that this can simply exacerbate matters. But all of these arguments seem to skip straight past what should, I think, be one of the larger questions. We’re talking about children here. They’re going through their formative years and facing a lot of changing, confusing things in their world where they should be not only supported, but guided and directed by their parents to the best of their abilities. (By their teachers too, assuming you can find teachers still interested in doing it.) The student in question is 16 now, but the case began in elementary school.

What person knows where the heck they are going in elementary school, say nothing of making “gender judgements” in fourth grade? This is also not an age appropriate conversation to be forced into having with the rest of the students at that age. And – again – what third grader has already concluded that they were born with the “wrong naughty bits” and need to work on gender reassignment absent picking that up from their parents? This just looks like a bad move. They’re kids! Let them just be kids!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Are they going to mandate drilling holes through the stall dividers?

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM

We should pause to consider what visiting foreigners think of our society…just for kicks.

When I was working in Saudi Arabia, one of my Saudi students told me of his visit to a Miami restaurant. In the mens room he saw a vending machine selling condoms. “What do Americans do in the bathroom?!” was his rather predictable question.

If I saw that sign on a restroom while visiting a foreign country, I’d likely not visit it ever again.

Oh, and I blame the Democrats for this crap.

thejackal on February 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Why not demand special bathrooms for the gender-confused?

OmahaConservative on February 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM

In CA, a girl with a penis

Only in a society that deserves to be vaporized.

Murphy9 on February 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Pretty sure that having a penis precludes you from being a girl.

BKeyser on February 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM

How about a third bathroom for those who are not one of the other 2 genders.

Just put a ? on the door.

profitsbeard on February 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM

They’re kids! Let them just be kids!

Nope, in the progtard superstate they are the next generation’s agents of change. Their minds and values must be perverted by “educators” in order for them to be pliant members of society.

Murphy9 on February 2, 2014 at 3:42 PM

At 14 I would’ve totally self identified as a girl on every gym day.

And when I wanted to make the varsity basketball team.

Spade on February 2, 2014 at 3:44 PM

A few years ago, my then 8 year old cousin told me he thought he was gay. I asked why and he said his teacher told him that men that preferred men were gay. Of course the vast majority of boys at that age would rather be around other boys, but the teacher didn’t bother to clarify that part.

Flange on February 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Oh brother…

William Eaton on February 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Liberal logic:

Sexual orientation/attraction is genetic, immutable, and (if toward the same sex) must never, ever, evah be allowed to change even if a person wants to try treatment to change.

However, a person born with XY chromosomes and a pe*** can call himself a girl and society must accept his delusion.

Oh, and you can all call me “Your Majesty” because I am Queen Victoria and I demand you acknowledge my right to be whatever I say I am.

CJ on February 2, 2014 at 3:47 PM

They will pass a law that every facility has 3 bathrooms: male, female, transgender.

albill on February 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM

If only I were a boy in high school again. I’d be singing, “Man, I feel like a woman, so let me in that girls lockers room because I’m suffering from a temporary gender identity crisis and I’ll feel much better about it if I could shower with the girls.”

dougless on February 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I’m thinking their guv might just decide this is the issue to take a stand against stupid judicial tricks. He might just defy them and their Mt. Olympus mewling.

One thing is certain – he will not go quietly into the night. So stay tuned.

platypus on February 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM

why even have two separate bathrooms, then? no honestly, why? i mean, there is no point anymore.

Sachiko on February 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM

. thejackal on February 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM

In Navy “A” school we had foriegn students. It was winter in VA beach, cold and damp. Everybody was sick with a cold. Blowing our noses in hankys.

My Phillipino friend pulled me to the side and asked,,

“why you Americans save your snot?”

wolly4321 on February 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM

This just looks like a bad move. They’re kids! Let them just be kids!

I think reasonable parents should insist that the schools add a third bathroom. One for those who have decided they’re ‘trapped in the wrong body’ as well as one for boys and one for girls. Parents have a duty to protect their children.

I agree entirely that children should be allowed to be children.

I also maintain that there is a very good and sound reason why we have had separate bathrooms for boys and girls. It is a time tested method of dealing with the issue.

I also agree that a third or fourth grader who has decided that they were born with the wrong sexual organs is likely picking up cues from their parents and I think social services should take a very close look at the parents and that family dynamic. I would certainly consider it child abuse to convince a child that there was something wrong with the gender they were born with and single that kid out for sexual reassignment based on parental preference.

Perhaps, instead of just allowing lawsuits filed by one side of this issue to decide this matter, those officials and agencies tasked with preventing child abuse should do their jobs and take into consideration the well being of the majority of children as well as the well being of the minority of children.

A third bathroom would settle the issue.

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

So what other forms of mental illness are we going to be eventually forced to accept and accommodate?

Mark1971 on February 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

CJ on February 2, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Is one knee kneeling enough or do we have to bang our foreheads on the floor while passing gas skyward?

platypus on February 2, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I wonder if this will lead to all Public Bathrooms as well? Will make visiting the beach this summer interesting.

Visit Maine – Come for the Lobster, stay for the Freaky Bathrooms

But remember; we don’t want “Special Rights, just Equal Rights. Bullsnot.

D-fusit on February 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM

What coud go wrong?

ThePrez on February 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Girls who ‘identify’ as boys should be required to use the urinal. Because plumbing (both literal and biological) have nothing to do with what bathroom you should be using.

Fenris on February 2, 2014 at 3:55 PM

her identical twin brother

That’s a phrase that I haven’t seen before.

J.S.K. on February 2, 2014 at 3:55 PM

More insanity.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 3:56 PM

A third bathroom would settle the issue.

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

but who would be allowed in that bathroom? would i be allowed? i am not transgendered. is the third bathroom for everyone, or just transgendered? (honest question)

plus, consider the added cost of building a third bathroom, locker room, dressing room… that’s extra money being spent.

bathrooms should be based on the biological sex you were born as. period.

Mark1971 on February 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

i think multiple personalities could be normalized eventually. i think there really are some people who are trying to normalize that. society would have to accept that there can be “multiple people” in one body. (which of course, is a mental disorder) imagine what that would be like…!! *shudder*

Sachiko on February 2, 2014 at 3:56 PM

A third bathroom would settle the issue.

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

A better settlement would require having the “confused” sent off to the funny farm. And if it’s found that their parents are the source of the confusion, to instead have the parents permanently committed.

Stoic Patriot on February 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM

This is probably the most telling part of the story.

nobar on February 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I think reasonable parents should insist that the schools add a third bathroom…A third bathroom would settle the issue.

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

3? I think more like a dozen or so extra. You think the born-male-preop-lesbian wants to use the same facilities as the transgender-crossdressing-bisexual? LGBTQ is just the start of it.

Fenris on February 2, 2014 at 4:00 PM

dougless on February 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM

But think about it…they’d know you were lying after about 5 seconds.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Obama Personally Signed EMail Referring To Washington DC As A State

Ladies and Gentlemen. The President of the United States… all 57 of them, apparently.

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM

interesting questions, posted by a commenter at national review:

I understand the concept. But if the maine supreme court really believes that just thinking you are something makes you something, why stop at your gender identity?

If a white person thinks they are black, should they not get to participate in all racial minority set-a-sides?

If a human thinks they are an animal, should they not be treated as an animal, and not have to pay taxes or otherwise answer for their actions? I mean, we are talking about bathrooms, right? What if you try to arrest someone for peeing in public, and they claim they identify as a dog or a cat? I’m not making this up, there are people who claim this is a thing. On the other hand, if a human thinks they are a dog or a cat, can we get them for leash law violations?

i’ve always wondered these things myself. why stop at gender identity? what does “i identify as” mean, anyway? can someone just “identify themselves as” whatever they want, and everyone has to agree with them?

and yes i’ve seen the people who think they are animals. they are called “otherkin.” it’s so bizarre to me…

the race question is very interesting and i want liberals to answer. can a white person who always hangs out with a group of minorities, and takes part in their culture, identify as that minority?

(i’m black, but i love anime. can i identify as japanese? lol)

Sachiko on February 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Sorry… forgot the “Off Topic” tag up there :) ^^^

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 4:03 PM

From the article;

“I want to enjoy the moment, hug my kids and do some healing,” he said.

If this is “normal” what’s to heal Mr. Maines?????

D-fusit on February 2, 2014 at 4:03 PM

And this is where the maddening gay politics has brought us. We’re whacked.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Every single human (along with nearly every other non-vegetative life form on this planet) regularly expels waste. So if everyone uses the barricades, and keeps the doors closed. Why is an all-sex bathroom a problem?

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Mark1971 on February 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

All of them.

Murphy9 on February 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Well, we’ve got something like 20 million people here who identify themselves as legally able to be here even though the law says differently — and it seems like they may be able to convince the Congress of the US to agree with them.

CJ on February 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM

her identical twin brother

That’s a phrase that I haven’t seen before.

J.S.K. on February 2, 2014 at 3:55 PM

…good catch……none of us have ever seen this country…this phucked up before either!

KOOLAID2 on February 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Because males don’t put the seat up.

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Someplace recently I read about a study of sexual preference in teenagers which found that 11% (iirc) of teens considered themselves “gay” or “bi”, but two years later over 2/3 of that 11% now self-identified as “straight”. I don’t recall there being any statistically significant number switching in the other direction.

LibraryGryffon on February 2, 2014 at 4:13 PM

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

And who’s going to pay for all these new ‘all stall’ restrooms to replace the current male restrooms… and the re-institution of Restroom Attendents to see that nothing untoward… or illegal… transpires in those restroom?

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 4:15 PM

GLAAD advocates assert this will reduce bullying.

I think GLAAD will continue its bullying.

I remember when the ERA was debated detractors argued it would end up in unisex bathrooms in public schools. Those detractors were regularly laughed at and called paranoid. I’m beginning to think it’s not possible to over-predict the damage caused by leftist policies, they always manage to meet or exceed the worst expectations imaginable.

Socratease on February 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

You’re kind of used to all kinds of shit aren’t you?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 4:18 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Doesn’t the unhinged loner schtick get old sometimes?

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM

This is probably the most telling part of the story.

nobar on February 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I agree. I don’t know whether or not you mean the fact that the family is broken apart or the ridiculousness of maintaining the biological nonsense that a boy and girl can be identical twins.

Perhaps, instead of just allowing lawsuits filed by one side of this issue to decide this matter, those officials and agencies tasked with preventing child abuse should do their jobs and take into consideration the well being of the majority of children as well as the well being of the minority of children….

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

This is my opinion as well.

INC on February 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Gender identification shows up very early, which is why baby girls are so different from baby boys. Likewise, ‘inappropriate’ gender identification shows up early in childhood (as you noted, “the case began in elementary school”) and has proven no easier to ‘treat’ than appropriate gender identification would be.

The point is, you’re simply wrong, because you’re confusing ‘sex’ (onset at puberty) with ‘gender’.

PersonFromPorlock on February 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Most guys and most gals don’t like taking a crap right next door to anyone much less someone of the other sex.(Especially not teens or younger). Freaks like Libfree acting differently is just plain stupid.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM

INC on February 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Good afternoon, INC. :) Good to see you.

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM

PersonFromPorlock on February 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Because….you say so? Links, please.

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Doesn’t the unhinged loner schtick get old sometimes?

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Yet you’re still a pervert who advocates for sex with minors. You’re mentally ill.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM

libfreeorgan on February 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

…because people like you…generally PISSall over the toilet seats?

KOOLAID2 on February 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Biologically speaking you are, of course, correct.

But psychologically speaking, no. There are too many “men” and smartass teenage boys who would make women and young girls feel uncomfortable.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Hey, Jackie! Good to see you, too! I hope you’re doing well.

INC on February 2, 2014 at 4:29 PM

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM

How long did it take you to get used to the smell of shit on yourself and your sheets? Think about deranged you are to think that is normal. How gross do you have to be?

Excuse me if I don’t look to you for advice on how these issues are to be handled. We don’t look to the ill for advice.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I apologize for the stupidity running rampart up here.
40+ years of liberal polices.
nothing in this state is worth saving.

dmacleo on February 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM

LGBTQ is just the start of it.

Fenris on February 2, 2014 at 4:00 PM

yep. it’s actually LGBTQIAP+ now. lesbian, gay, bi, trans*, queer/questioning, intersex, asexual, pansexual, and + means, anything else! i think i got all that correct but i’m not sure. i might be wrong.

and yes, you have to spell trans* with an asterisk because the word has multiple meanings. thus sayeth the social justice people…

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

either buildings would have to add on a third bathroom, which would increase costs, or just combine everything into one big bathroom, which would force everyone to share the same room. and it’s not just bathrooms. it’s locker rooms and dressing rooms too. i’m female and i would not feel comfortable with a male in these places. bathrooms/locker rooms/ dressing rooms require people to take off clothes. i don’t want to be exposed to men in that way. stall doors can break or not lock correctly, or have a gap where you can see through. i want to be surrounded only by other (biological) females when i am in these rooms. mixing everyone together would increase sexual harassment- that’s why we have separate rooms in the first place! (most people are straight, after all.)

Sachiko on February 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM

And you don’t think that there are not plenty of smartass females who can be just as nasty as any boys? Times have changed.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM

INC on February 2, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I’m fine, INC, thank you. I hope you and yours are well, too. :)

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Sachiko on February 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM

You make too much sense for this world.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM

dougless on February 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Your obvious ‘excitement’ at the situation would be because you were a lesbian. Only a bigot would point it out and make fun of you.

fadetogray on February 2, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Sachiko on February 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Marry me.

nobar on February 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM

This is pathetic

Iblis on February 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Good point. I do remember my mother saying how disgusted she was by some of the women’s public restrooms she had been in.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 2, 2014 at 4:48 PM

mixing everyone together would increase sexual harassment.

Sachiko on February 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Mandatory sexual harassment training from K-12 should fix that, right?

When I was in basic training, the Tailhook scandal just occurred. MCRD recruits, and all branches for that matter, were required to sit through sexual harassment classes.

Seems to me that big brother could have avoided Tailhook if we only had training in K-12.

Everyone will be good boys, girls, and confused beings with the right training.

/liblogic

Mark Boabaca on February 2, 2014 at 4:49 PM

libfreeordie, I’ve already had to delete one of your comments. Ed welcomes all points of view here, but watch your language please.

Jazz Shaw on February 2, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Far worse things than that are said here regularly Jazz. But consider myself chastened.

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:56 PM

…picking that up from their parents

Nails it. Maine is full of these clowns. They need to change the state motto from ” The Way Life Should Be” to ” Abandon All Hope, O Ye Who Enter Here.”

Cleombrotus on February 2, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Jazz Shaw on February 2, 2014 at 4:51 PM

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:56 PM

And the rest of us will undoubtedly shake our collective heads seeing another example of a troll getting away with crap that others have been banned for in the past.

D-fusit on February 2, 2014 at 5:06 PM

But think about it…they’d know you were lying after about 5 seconds.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Boy thinks that he’s a lesbian girl… Problem solved.

blammm on February 2, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Society decided to accommodate and now has been forced to capitulate.

echosyst on February 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Legitimate gender identity issues are still classified as mental illness, according to the APA, and tax payers should not be forced to fund or facilitate such dysfunction – ESPECIALLY in regards to school children.

STOP. ATTEMPTING. TO. NORMALIZE. PERVERSION.

locomotivebreath1901 on February 2, 2014 at 5:25 PM

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

You make a very good point. For example, I will maintain that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have decided that their daughter Shiloh is their very own social experiment. From the time she was a toddler they have directed her toward male clothing/toys/pursuits; conversely, their daughter Zaharia (sp?) is being raised as completely feminine, always in a dress and carrying a doll. I will be very curious, over the next 3-5 years, how Shiloh asserts herself vis a vis society norms.

herm2416 on February 2, 2014 at 5:36 PM

STOP. ATTEMPTING. TO. NORMALIZE. PERVERSION.

locomotivebreath1901 on February 2, 2014 at 5:25 PM

If I told a surgeon that I wanted to chop off my left arm because I believe that I don’t have a left arm, what would be more likely: the surgeon amputates my arm or I get committed to a mental institution?

blammm on February 2, 2014 at 5:37 PM

You make too much sense for this world.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM

i know… it’s hard for me to live in this world… *cue dramatic music*

Marry me.

nobar on February 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM

ah what the heck, sure… lol

Mandatory sexual harassment training from K-12 should fix that, right?

Everyone will be good boys, girls, and confused beings with the right training.

/liblogic

Mark Boabaca on February 2, 2014 at 4:49 PM

it’s so strange that liberals think you can train people to learn how to not sexually harass. is it really that complicated? i’m pretty sure it’s not.

Sachiko on February 2, 2014 at 5:39 PM

blammm on February 2, 2014 at 5:37 PM

They’d go for the amputation and the 30, 40, $50,000 reimbursement.

Flange on February 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM

They’d go for the amputation and the 30, 40, $50,000 reimbursement.

Flange on February 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Touche. Let’s just pretend that I’m on Medicaid.

blammm on February 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM

(i’m black, but i love anime. can i identify as japanese? lol)

Sachiko on February 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Hai, Sachiko-san!

Then again…

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 2, 2014 at 5:51 PM

What a country. Men can be women and women can be men. We are truly a country of opportunity.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 5:54 PM

blammm on February 2, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Depends. Is “left arm” a euphemism?

Fenris on February 2, 2014 at 5:55 PM

1. Homeschool.

2. Private schools, preferably religious ones.

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

You are a pervert if you don’t understand this. Sachiko gets it.

theotherone on February 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I’d love to hear Susan Collins speak about this. Her shaky voice and bobbling head would add infinite amounts of amusement to this story.

SouthernGent on February 2, 2014 at 6:03 PM

You are a pervert if….
theotherone on February 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM

There are no ifs.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 2, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Touche. Let’s just pretend that I’m on Medicaid.

blammm on February 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM

OK. I got some health insurance. You don’t have no insurance, you didn’t get none. You can’t afford it. Your dad’s on welfare.

Just kidding.

Flange on February 2, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Next up……if you won’t let your kids go in these bathrooms you’re a hater, and need to have your kids taken from your bigoted home.

Welcome to the United States of Sodom.

PappyD61 on February 2, 2014 at 6:09 PM

1. Homeschool.

theotherone on February 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM

We do. But we don’t have gender specific bathrooms.

: )

herm2416 on February 2, 2014 at 6:09 PM

A third restroom as a solution doesn’t have to be prohibitively expensive. Since the number of students who would express genuine gender identity issues would, necessarily, be small comparatively speaking, a small, private restroom would serve the purpose. Either sex of student with gender identity issues could use the restroom. If it was occupied, the student would simply wait until it was vacant, just as people do on airplanes or in a home with a single restroom.

This allowance could be made because we are discussing children and it is possible to understand that a child who genuinely suffered from such an issue would be adversely effected by having to use a public restroom that made them very uncomfortable, just as having a person of the opposite sex using their restroom might well make the majority of children uncomfortable.

thatsafactjack on February 2, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Waiting to hear reports of the tran-leaning quarterback having his clock cleaned and stuffed in a locker by the Cheer squad ladies.

Taking bets on who’s first to bust out the *HOSTILE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT* suit; Alinsky said “Make ‘em eat their own rules.”

CaveatEmpty on February 2, 2014 at 6:25 PM

her identical twin brother

That’s a phrase that I haven’t seen before.

J.S.K. on February 2, 2014 at 3:55 PM

No kidding!

Alana on February 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Wonderful . . . stay out of Maine.

rplat on February 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Biologically speaking you are, of course, correct.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM

The men can be perfectly nice and normal, I still don’t want them in the bathroom to me.

Alana on February 2, 2014 at 6:38 PM

*with

Alana on February 2, 2014 at 6:38 PM

libfreeordie on February 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Because *I* don’t want to use a mixed sex bathroom. I don’t want to worry that someone is looking through the openings in the walls (it’s not a hermetically sealed box where everything inside is invisible). Plus, I doubt men want to be standing at the urinal while women are putting on the lipstick or fixing their faces.

I don’t think I’m alone here and *****WE***** don’t matter, only the liberal agenda no matter how idiotic it is.

Ladies, if some doofus comes into the loo saying they’re “transgendered” or whatever it is, hang out and make THEM uncomfortable. Hang out at the mirror/sink and take your time.

kim roy on February 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Until boys need to use the feminine hygiene product disposal boxes available in women’s bathrooms and girls can tinkle in the urinals available in men’s bathrooms, conversations–and rulings–like this are absolutely absurd.

But rapists rejoice! You’ve just been given prime targets for your crimes: the confused girl who insists on using the men’s room and the girls in the women’s room whose guards are now down because it’s supposedly “normal” for a man or two to be in there.

I shudder to think what emotional trauma these crazy, crazy adults are inflicting on the children of today.

butterflies and puppies on February 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I don’t think I’m alone here

kim roy on February 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM

No, you’re not. I still prefer privacy in the bathroom – away from my husband of 36 years – in my own home. Does everything have to be shared? and can’t some things be left to a little mystery?

lynncgb on February 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM

lynncgb on February 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Yep.

It’s too bad these delicate flowers can’t be initiated into same sex washrooms by the Taco Twins.

Even my husband knows – he wanted to do something by the washroom, but I had to go and so he waited to “give me a little privacy”.

He probably doesn’t want me hanging around when he’s busy either.

This is just so silly.

kim roy on February 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM

yeesh. opposite sex washrooms…

kim roy on February 2, 2014 at 7:52 PM

(i’m black, but i love anime. can i identify as japanese? lol)

Sachiko on February 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Bubba did allow people to claim he was the “first black President” back in the day. If you were to talk to white liberals (especially in hollyweird) they would quite likely respond to your query in the affirmative.

Oh, and don’t forget how quickly liberals label black conservatives as “Uncle Toms” or “Oreos”, and how, just as quickly, [uneducated] black people so often frown on being taught to use proper diction because it makes them “sound white” or something.

Finally, while I know people who have DID, it’s certainly not something the people I know would want normalized. Ugh.

Wanderlust on February 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM

They’re kids!

Says you. What if one decides he/she is a salamander? I don’t see why the lack of some salamander parts should stop one of these things born as human from deciding he’s a salamander. It’s only our obstinacy and bigotry that stops society from accepting that humans are really salamanders … on the inside.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 2, 2014 at 8:14 PM

It’s a Democrat Party recruitment tactic, not just a sodomy lobby recruitment tactic.

Akzed on February 2, 2014 at 8:24 PM

“If you go in there while Debbie’s in there, I will break your face.”

Of course, that’s just “bullying” right outa the blue.

It’s the “bully” who’s got the problem, don’t you see?

Hey, I got a question: if sodomists are “born gay,” why do they produce semen? If female pervs are “born that way,” why do they menstruate?

Akzed on February 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM