Video: Check out the cool human beings playing in the Super Bowl

posted at 8:01 pm on January 31, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

I’m gonna give you one on both sides of the contest, so as not to be accused of bias.

Peyton Manning explains how not to let an opponent get in your head:

The Denver Broncos quarterback was asked about Richard Sherman saying he doesn’t have a strong arm, and that he throws ducks.

Manning’s response was perfect and proves you can’t get in this future Hall of Famer’s head.

And, Seahawk Derrick Coleman, the league’s first legally deaf offensive player (also the star of this great Duracell commercial), gave two twin girls with a hearing impairment a great surprise after they wrote him a letter, calling him their “inspiration.”

Comments

Great commercial…

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2014 at 8:06 PM

That’s nice.

I’m still not watching the SB. Hate both teams. Although, at this point, I’ve had just about all the Peyton Manning crap shoved up my rectum that I can take and I’m rooting for Denver to lose more than I’m rooting for Seattle to win.

Bitter Clinger on January 31, 2014 at 8:12 PM

…basically…lately…most of the viewing audience…have been caught up in the commercials that are run…and not the game itself!

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Im sitting inside a hospital right now and these places always make me super emotional but those little girls almost made me cry

Politricks on January 31, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Coleman is awesome and Sherman is too,we shall see.

tim c on January 31, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Go Hawks! And go Duracell! My new battery brand.

HiJack on January 31, 2014 at 8:31 PM

That is how you really build a great reputation, both for Coleman and for Duracell.

Bravo. Well played.

jnials on January 31, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I never watch all the pre game hype, I just wait for the game. I’m a Bronco fan from way back (since before the 3 Amigos!) and I’d like to see them win. If they don’t, then I guess I will congratulate the Seahawks. I hope they don’t have to play in sub-zero temps.

scalleywag on January 31, 2014 at 8:44 PM

I’m reserving judgment on the Coleman commercial until MSNBC weighs in to inform us that conservatives will find it abhorrent.

On both sides, the Seahawk was awesome, and the twins were cute and appropriately thankful.

Memo to Left: I saw content of character all throughout this clip; simple human kindness bridges all gaps–even your beloved racism.

BuckeyeSam on January 31, 2014 at 8:45 PM

scalleywag on January 31, 2014 at 8:44 PM

ESPN survey says…GO, BRONCOS!

Christien on January 31, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Go Peyton, you are a class act. BTW you got screwed out of the heisman.

Mini-14 on January 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I support Denver. For one reason only since I don’t have a “duck” in this fight. The Manning family. When I was living in New Orleans back in the late 90s, Peyton was a star at Tenn. and his little brother was still in High School. The family was as real and down to earth then as they are now. This is old school football where teams are led by decent human beings and not tatted up “superstars.”

Happy Nomad on January 31, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Thanks for putting that video of Coleman up.

It’s been a really rotten year so far, and it’s nice to see that someone who has worked so hard and overcome so much not only become successful, but remain a really good guy, as well.

In a world oversaturated with Justin Biebers and Miley Cyruses, we need all the Derrick Colemans we can get.

arik1969 on January 31, 2014 at 9:31 PM

NOW THAT WAS NICE. CUTE KIDS AND DERRICK SEEMS LIKE A NICE YOUNG MAN. IT’S GOOD TO SEE SOMETHING PURE AND POSITIVE FOR A CHANGE.

(Just in case the girls or Derrick are reading.)

justltl on January 31, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Dude, I laughed out loud but that was so uncool.

John the Libertarian on January 31, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I have to root for Seattle. Peyton Manning played for the Tennesse volunteers in college; therefore, he not root-forable.

SouthernGent on January 31, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Tim Tebow has a new T-mobile “no contract” ad, I think it’s for the Super Bowl.

Flange on January 31, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Cool stuff.As a life long Houston Oiler and Texan fan it is always a wait till next year year.

docflash on January 31, 2014 at 10:33 PM

The Coleman tales leave me cold….
These human interest stories emphasize “legally” deaf.
What does “legally” deaf mean?
Is government (legal) deaf different from actual deaf?

egmont on January 31, 2014 at 10:43 PM

BuckeyeSam on January 31, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Loved the girl closest to Coleman as he sits down, “are, are you real?”

arnold ziffel on January 31, 2014 at 11:52 PM

It’s nice to see sports figures these days who are nice people, not thugs.

PattyJ on February 1, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Well everyone knows that Republicans don’t like bi-racial, human interest stories.

Vince on February 1, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Tim Tebow has a new T-mobile “no contract” ad, I think it’s for the Super Bowl.
Flange on January 31, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Love that.

bluegill on February 1, 2014 at 3:00 AM

This made me feel good, for a minute. Then, I thought about it. Understand I’m not inhuman. We live in a nation of over 300 million. In the grand scheme of things, we are all insignificant and media-arranged encounters like this are rare and give us all the illusion that we may have a ‘connection’ to the ‘stars’ in our entertainment/propaganda complex. The same thing is often done with our politicians. These kinds of stories give us a ‘cult-like’ sense of euphoria. The truth is, everyone, including deaf NFL players, the NFL itself, Liberals, Conservatives, Black, White, Brown, Yellow, etc are ultimately out for themselves, their own. Unless they are Mother Teresa, they are just doing these ‘social concern’ encounters for effective, cheap PR and marketing. It’s just ‘Warm-fuzzies’ to make us watch. In fact, this particular push would seem to appeal to women to a great extent and often, they don’t like Sports (By the way, the Super Bowl spousal-abuse rumors are akin to Elvis sightings) It doesn’t change the fact that corporate entities like the NFL, TV networks and the Corporations that sponsor them are mostly indifferent to the vast mankind and market that they regard as boob-tube idiots and ‘demographics’ to be exploited using ‘lowest-common denominator’ feel-good rhetoric and situations. I might buy the genuineness of these pieces in their individual settings, but I don’t pretend that any of that makes all of us or those pushing this fluff any more humane, caring or sensitive to the overall condition of humanity in our day and age. The events may be real but the intent is superficial and that superficiality is ultimately used to manipulate us economically.

Corporal Tunnel on February 1, 2014 at 3:26 AM

That was really sweet!

Sherman1864 on February 1, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Denver had its own deaf player during the John Elway years, defensive lineman Kenny Walker (it was easier to play defense than offense, since he could go on the snap of the ball at DE — playing OL like Coleman does and having to adjust to the QB changing plays and blocking assignments would probably be impossible without the assist from the hearing aids).

jon1979 on February 1, 2014 at 9:48 AM

The Coleman tales leave me cold….
These human interest stories emphasize “legally” deaf.
What does “legally” deaf mean?
Is government (legal) deaf different from actual deaf?

egmont on January 31, 2014 at 10:43 PM

I really don’t understand what your point is. The guy wears a hearing aid to function normally, as do the little girls. It is a disability and he has not let it affect his life in a negative way. In addition, he is giving encouragement to others in his situation. What can possibly be wrong with that? My guess is that many things you can’t relate to leave you cold….

Ann on February 1, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I just jammed Q-Tips deep into both of my ears.

I can has tickets?

Hello??!?!?!?!

Shy Guy on February 1, 2014 at 12:07 PM

BuckeyeSam on January 31, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Not surprising (and likely to be ignored in most coverage especially from the left) is that Coleman has a strong belief in God. Faith helps retain character in the face of fame and fortune.

AJsDaddie on February 1, 2014 at 12:26 PM

The Coleman tales leave me cold….
These human interest stories emphasize “legally” deaf.
What does “legally” deaf mean?
Is government (legal) deaf different from actual deaf?

egmont on January 31, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Same as legally blind. You have some hearing but not enough to be able to function without aids. Nothing governmental about it; it just means his hearing is so bad that he is functionally deaf.

I’m with Ann on this.

AJsDaddie on February 1, 2014 at 12:28 PM

This made me feel good, for a minute. (…) The truth is, everyone, including deaf NFL players, the NFL itself, Liberals, Conservatives, Black, White, Brown, Yellow, etc are ultimately out for themselves, their own.

Corporal Tunnel on February 1, 2014 at 3:26 AM

Well, in the end everybody is out for themselves and their families, but that doesn’t stop us from being good, caring people. Everything I’ve seen of Derrick Coleman indicates that he truly believes he is blessed, was touched by the girls’ letter, and wanted to do something nice for them. Sure, everything he does that is associated with the team is packaged for maximum profit, and it should be. He is being paid millions of dollars. But that doesn’t mean his motives are as jaded and cynical as you make them out to be. There is a place where profits and good deeds can work together. If you don’t believe that, then you’ve spent too much time among Liberals.

AJsDaddie on February 1, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Sadly, and how petty, there are some deaf extremists who use American Sign Language as their main mode of communication who do not support Derrick Coleman simply because D.C. does not sign language and instead prefers to use his voice to communicate.

Here’s a great captioned video from the deaf and hard of hearing children of John Tracy Clinic who support D.C.:

Kokonut on February 1, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Don’t care about Duracell’s motives (whether or not it is self-serving). It is nice to have heroes in this day and nice to see a decent promotion and celebration of people and their hearts.

RightTurn on February 1, 2014 at 4:48 PM