Former MSNBC host: Channel has problem “spiraling out of control”

posted at 2:41 pm on January 31, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

“I’m sure Phil Griffin believes it’s a real problem,” S. E. Cupp tells The Blaze today in speaking about her experiences at MSNBC and the trolling tweet that resulted in Griffin’s apology. As Cupp points out (and as Erik Wemple did yesterday), the apology route only signifies that the problem of race-baiting demagoguery at the NBC/Comcast subsidiary is real, and getting out of control. The former MSNBC contributor says she used to welcome that debate when she co-hosted “The Cycle” on the cable channel, as a means to explore the lack of tolerance and demagoguery on the Left. When the network itself participates in that behavior, it moves to an entirely different level, Cupp argues:

Cupp is a former co-host of MSNBC’s “The Cycle,” a show on which race “came up a lot.”

“I always welcomed that idea where someone, some less thoughtful pundit, would introduce that idea that half the country is racist because they’re Republican, because I thought, ‘This is great. If liberalism exposes tolerance, I’m glad we are showing and exposing that lack of tolerance for what it is,” she said Thursday on TheBlaze TV’s “Real News.” “It’s all they can see.”

Cupp added that it was also fun “shooting down” these ideas when they were brought up by her former MSNBC colleagues.

“But when it comes in an official capacity from the network,” she said, referring to the Cheerios tweet, “I think that’s deeply disappointing. Deeply, deeply disappointing.”

Frankly, I’m not sure anyone’s expectations of MSNBC are high enough for that to be disappointing at all. The escalating string of incidents and apologies clearly show a kind of media “pathology” at work, as Wemple put it yesterday, and one that should embarrass Phil Griffin, NBC, and Comcast. So far, though, aside from firing some still-unnamed staffer over the tweet and having someone leak how angry Griffin got, we’re not seeing much evidence of shame at Comcast, NBC, or its spiraling subsidiary. When the on-air talent changes from rank demagogues to people a little less inclined toward that particular “pathology,” or management changes are made to underscore those lessons, then perhaps we can raise our expectations enough for other incidents to be “deeply, deeply disappointing.”

Griffin won’t help his credibility with a fantasy of non-partisanship:

MSNBC chief Phil Griffin denies his cable network is a platform for the liberal agenda, insisting the channel only welcomes a certain “progressive sensibility.” …

He told the Daily Beast in an interview published Thursday, though the chat was conducted before the social media scandal, that he hires “people who fit the sensibility” but denied being a flag bearer for any certain ideology.

“If you’re a Democrat in trouble … you’re not going to get a free ride if you did wrong,” he said.

But Griffin insists that Fox is ideological compared to MSNBC’s “sensibilities”:

In his office Griffin insists: “I think we’ve never had an ideology. An ideology is a single thought across all programs. We’ve never had that.” As evidence, he mentions the spirited on-air debates in 2010, pro and con, concerning whether the Bush tax cuts should be allowed to expire. “Obviously I hire people who fit the sensibility,” Griffin says. “We do stay true to facts. You have to build your argument. That’s why I call it a sensibility.” …

As for Fox News, “I think they do have an ideology,” Griffin says, “because every Republican who’s in trouble goes on that network to be taken care of…They’re owned by News Corp., which is Rupert Murdoch. Roger Ailes runs it, and he comes out of the Republican Party.” Griffin adds: “That’s fine. They’ve done an incredible job over there. They’ve been very successful. They drive a lot of the conversation.”

Yes, I’m sure that this is the way to convince people you’ve grasped the problem. Meanwhile, Katie Pavlich rounds up the win from yesterday, giving kudos in particular to the Boss Emeritus. In the battle of credibility, I know where I’d place my bets …

Update: I published this by accident while still editing it earlier. That’s why the first comment is before the displayed publish time.

Comments

Cupp is disappointing. MSNBC is just simply vile.

NotCoach on January 31, 2014 at 1:30 PM

We really need to stop pretending MSNBC and NBC are two separate entities. MSNBC should always be called NBC. They should be forced to share the blame for what they obviously approve of.

Flange on January 31, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I was trying to comment in this thread earlier and the it went *poof* to 404-land…

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I’m not a fan of this whole “I’m outrageously outraged so someone needs to fire and an institution needs to apologize!”.

MSNBC is a cesspool of hatred. This nameless face behind the official tweet is just following the lead of all the “big names” at that network. They didn’t tweet anything different than what is said by most of their hosts on air. If they want to be vile and idiotic then I say let them. We’re free to ridicule them and hit them over the head for it. They’re not going to change perceptions of undecided people.

Now, if the executives of NBC/MSNBC decide that they don’t want to lead up the brand of leftwing nuttery and hatred then they should clean up but firing some nameless staffer isn’t going to change what is a systemic problem.

gwelf on January 31, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I’m trying to keep track of all the time traveling going on here, I don’t need you making my job obsolete.

nobar on January 31, 2014 at 2:45 PM

She is sooo perceptive…

Murphy9 on January 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM

My Bishop was so hard it killed this post for over an hour.

NotCoach on January 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM

My Bishop was so hard it killed this post for over an hour.

NotCoach on January 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM

lol!

Murphy9 on January 31, 2014 at 2:47 PM

In his office Griffin insists: “I think we’ve never had an ideology. An ideology is a single thought across all programs. We’ve never had that.”… “We do stay true to facts. You have to build your argument. That’s why I call it a sensibility.” …

NOTE: Add “sensibility” to the 1984 Newspeak Dictionary..

kcewa on January 31, 2014 at 2:49 PM

My Bishop was so hard it killed this post for over an hour.

NotCoach on January 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM

You Bishop’d the actual post!

gwelf on January 31, 2014 at 2:49 PM

That’s true. MSNBC tolerates fascists as well as socialists and communists. See how diverse they are?

rbj on January 31, 2014 at 2:49 PM

You Bishop’d the actual post!

gwelf on January 31, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Damn, you’re right!

NotCoach on January 31, 2014 at 2:50 PM

It goes all the way to the board room of Comcast…they are getting what they want.

d1carter on January 31, 2014 at 2:51 PM

SE was brain damaged by her time there.

nobar on January 31, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Will you marry me, Sarah Elizabeth?

Lanceman on January 31, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Disappointing may not be the right word since none of us expect anything resembling decency from MSDNC. But I will say I was surprised that the official Twitter account posted something like that. Couple that with the Melitha Harrith-Perry segment mocking the Romney family a few weeks ago, and it’s clear they have no one monitoring their TV and internet content over there. And that falls on Griffin. Sorry, but claiming to be outraged over it and laying off some low-level staffer won’t cut it. If he’s truly PO’d about what keeps transpiring at his network, he needs to get to the root of the problem and fix it.

Doughboy on January 31, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Can someone remind me how S.E. Cupp came into existence as some kind of spokeschick for the right side of the aisle? I’d never heard her name, and suddenly she’s got a column in the NY Daily News and then she’s co-hosting cable shows….

Which think tank hatched her?

TC@LeatherPenguin on January 31, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Wow…..

BallisticBob on January 31, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I cannot see how he can say that with a straight face.

tru2tx on January 31, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Cupp is such a phony. I didn’t even know she got booted from MSNBC. Now she’s trying to suck up to The Blaze again. What a whore. Next week she’ll be back on MSNBC claiming it’s “really changed.”

WhatSlushfund on January 31, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I cannot see how he can say that with a straight face.

tru2tx on January 31, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Lying comes naturally to Leftists.

Bitter Clinger on January 31, 2014 at 3:01 PM

NBC and MSNBC are owned by Comcast. Is Griffin telling us that Comcast believes in the direction of his network ?

J_Crater on January 31, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Griffin insists: “I think we’ve never had an ideology.” and “…Roger Ailes runs [Fox News], and he comes out of the Republican Party.”

Well, there ya go. Liberal logic unfolding before your very eyes. Because Ailes “comes out of the Republican party”, he’s bad. The fact that Griffin and 99.9% of the msnbc personalities are Democrats has no bearing, obviously.

KS Rex on January 31, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Comcast needs to kill it.

forest on January 31, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Damn, you’re right!

NotCoach on January 31, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Would that make you an Archbishop?

jon1979 on January 31, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Will you marry me, Sarah Elizabeth?

Lanceman on January 31, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Heh

I think I’m going to refer to Griffin as Peter Griffin

22044 on January 31, 2014 at 3:06 PM

IT’s only fine if the bad behavior is carefully controlled.
Spiraling out of control is simply not acceptable.
Spiraling into control is.

rbj on January 31, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Well said.
All of these have subtle differences. But of course, they are all scumbags.

Badger40 on January 31, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Apparently, MSNBC has more Twitter followers than viewers.

Curtiss on January 31, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Cupp is disappointing. MSNBC is just simply vile.

NotCoach on January 31, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Were it not for Cupp’s cups, no one would have ever heard of her.

bw222 on January 31, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I think I’m going to refer to Griffin as Peter Griffin

22044 on January 31, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Sweet!

Lanceman on January 31, 2014 at 3:09 PM

How can you say we’re ideological?! We had people disagree about something on air 4 years ago!!!

topdawg on January 31, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Is an E. Cupp bigger than D. Cupp?

Tom Servo on January 31, 2014 at 3:12 PM

d1carter on January 31, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Very true. Comcast leadership consists of major Obama supporters. Conservatives should boycott Comcast and other left-leaning companies (like CVS/Healthmark, General Electric, General Mills and anything associated with Warren Buffet (e.g. GEICO).

bw222 on January 31, 2014 at 3:13 PM

In his office Griffin insists: “I think we’ve never had an ideology……….

……..As for Fox News, “I think they do have an ideology,” Griffin says,

Typical leftist. They think they are the center of the universe, and therefore at the center of the political spectrum. No self-awareness or perspective.

Dan Rather demonstrated this one time. In an interview, he was asked where he felt the New York Times editorial page fell on the political spectrum. His answer was “middle of the road.” He agrees with them, and he believes himself to be the center of the universe, and therefore they are in the middle. Childish.

iurockhead on January 31, 2014 at 3:14 PM

What does he think a progressive bent is, if not an ideology? Dumb.

changer1701 on January 31, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Which think tank hatched her?

TC@LeatherPenguin on January 31, 2014 at 2:57 PM

It may have been a plastic surgeon that hatched her.

bw222 on January 31, 2014 at 3:16 PM

bw222 on January 31, 2014 at 3:13 PM

How? It’s all around us. I can’t get Internet if I boycott comcast. Believe me I would love nothing more than to find a better alternative than continue to pay out the azz for mediocre Internet service but until their monopoly is broken up, I stuck with them.

jawkneemusic on January 31, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Would that make you an Archbishop?

jon1979 on January 31, 2014 at 3:05 PM

The Archbishop of hot Air. I kind of like that. Kiss my ring.

NotCoach on January 31, 2014 at 3:19 PM

So many psychos and fanatics running it you’d think it was the JustUs Department.

viking01 on January 31, 2014 at 3:19 PM

jawkneemusic on January 31, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Go DSL.

NotCoach on January 31, 2014 at 3:20 PM

“There is no such thing, at this date of the world’s history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it.

“There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone.

“The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press?

“We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes.” -John Swinton (Labor’s Untold Story, by Richard O. Boyer and Herbert M. Morais, published by United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers of America, NY, 1955/1979.)

Akzed on January 31, 2014 at 3:20 PM

“Fifty men have run America, and that’s a high figure.” –Joseph Kennedy, The New York Times, July 26th, l936

Akzed on January 31, 2014 at 3:20 PM

The only reason Griffin apologized for MSNBC’s race-baiting was because Reince Priebus finally found something he was willing to at least sound like he willing to fight over, and threatened to stop the supply of GOPe squish cannon fodder for their “opinion” shows, where the leftist hosts pummel away at the ineffectual squishes for all but the last segment, when everyone on the set laughs and agrees that those “teabaggers” sure are nasty people.

I expect to see no reduction at all in the volume of race baiting coming from MSNBC, and it will only get nastier and nastier in tone. The only difference is it will be more “nuanced”; instead of saying the “right wing” will get upset over a cereal ad, they’ll say “tea partiers” or “Palinbots” or something similar instead.

And Priebus, McCain, Boehner and the rest will have no problem with that at all.

Gator Country on January 31, 2014 at 3:20 PM

MSNBC should hire someone like this.

Here’s a Friday afternoon jam.

ToddPA on January 31, 2014 at 3:20 PM

SE started on RedEye with Greg Gutfield on FoxNews, if I’m not mistaken. She was a regular on the show and the eye candy.

From there, I don’t recall. Wierd how she ended up on MSLSD…

-west

mr_west on January 31, 2014 at 3:22 PM

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I warned ya’ll. HA is hijacked (Hi, NSA!) and auto-enrolls you in ObamaCare.

Tsar of Earth on January 31, 2014 at 3:25 PM

From there, I don’t recall. Wierd how she ended up on MSLSD…

-west

mr_west on January 31, 2014 at 3:22 PM

And then CNN. She’s going backwards. Next will be al Qaeda News Network.

NotCoach on January 31, 2014 at 3:25 PM

…but they only seem to hire these…

ToddPA on January 31, 2014 at 3:31 PM

If liberalism exposes tolerance

If liberalism ESPOUSES tolerance.

No, they espouse some caricature of tolerance, based on surface features, which in turn is based on a political correctness which rather than based on principles, or heartfelt belief, is derivative of whatever the times and the elite powers that be, dictate.

So on the surface, liberals appear righteous, within their own understanding, but outside of that understanding they’re as prejudiced and ugly as can be. One manifestation of this is the race-baiting on MSNBC. Real goodness is through and through, both on the surface and within the person, not just in appearance as in liberalism.

Paul-Cincy on January 31, 2014 at 3:37 PM

MSNBC is a cesspool. Period.

Shay on January 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Is an E. Cupp bigger than D. Cupp?

Tom Servo on January 31, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I don’t think her “Cupps” runneth over…

ToddPA on January 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Griffin’s blathering sounds like the drunken nonsense of a DC staffer at Happy Hour. I’m sure he believes his own bullshit, which makes it all even funnier. He runs the least trusted, most despised network in television, and still thinks they are “non-ideological”.

He is an idiot and without a grasp on reality.

Jaibones on January 31, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Were it not for Cupp’s cups, no one would have ever heard of her.

bw222 on January 31, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Pretty sure that’s not it. But she is bright and pretty. Seems to suffer from media-RINO syndrome.

Jaibones on January 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Only an idiot could be “deeply, deeply disappointed” by MSNBC and not have seen all of this coming miles away.

rrpjr on January 31, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I experience this kind of spiraling every day, and in the northern hemisphere, it always progresses the same.

WryTrvllr on January 31, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Former MSNBC host: Channel has problem “spiraling out of control”

…no shit!…started way before JugEars became a candidate…and nosedived from there!

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2014 at 4:10 PM

New MSNBC motto:

“We are the Sorriest Station On TV!”

Trochilus on January 31, 2014 at 4:13 PM

S.E. Cupp

Lanceman on January 31, 2014 at 2:53 PM

…would you?

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Seeing as this is Super Bowl weekend, I’ll
go with this quote to Miss Cupp,

Courtesy of John Riggins before the 1983 Super Bowl
to Justice Sandra Day O’Connor

“Loosen up baby”

ToddPA on January 31, 2014 at 4:39 PM

S.E. was on the online version of “The Five” before The Five. She reminded me of Nicole Wallace a little. she is a big gun rights but goes into the weeds after that.

KBird on January 31, 2014 at 4:40 PM

The guy’s delusional. He doesn’t see that all flavors of leftism stem from a single ideology. You can’t fix it if you don’t know it’s broken.

HiJack on January 31, 2014 at 4:42 PM

I cannot see how he can say that with a straight face.

tru2tx on January 31, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Lying comes naturally to Leftists.

Bitter Clinger on January 31, 2014 at 3:01 PM

He almost certainly is a liar, but in this instance I think that he is just plain delusional.

SubmarineDoc on January 31, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I watched with the sound down.
I agree with whatever she said.

justltl on January 31, 2014 at 5:07 PM

S.E. Cupp

Lanceman on January 31, 2014 at 2:53 PM

…would you?

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2014 at 4:25 PM

In a heartbeat.

Lanceman on January 31, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Cupp is a former co-host of MSNBC’s “The Cycle

Um, did anyone see this program? Was it a women’s issues show?

Fallon on January 31, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Ed, the next time you go on the MSNBC morning show, are you going to take the channel to task?

We certainly hope so!

bluegill on January 31, 2014 at 6:31 PM

She is giving the camera such a look!

I suspect that, unlike sh1td1ck Griffin and the various freaks who make up the MSLSD “news” staff, Miss Cupp is finding this story personally embarrassing. While advancing her personal career as the token Republican there, she was a very softly conservative voice on the various idiotic shows she graced there, rather than the perpetually outraged Voice of Reason that an actual conservative would have been.

She does not seem amused to watch them continue to embarrass anyone who ever set foot in their studios.

Jaibones on January 31, 2014 at 6:43 PM

In a heartbeat.

Lanceman on January 31, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Amen.

Jaibones on January 31, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Yep…

celt on January 31, 2014 at 7:08 PM

His view of Fox News – as the ideological network – is pretty telling. There is actually only a handful of conservatives on Fox. Most debates are RINO vs. liberal. But at least Fox doesn’t censor the conservative viewpoint like everybody else does.

TarheelBen on January 31, 2014 at 7:25 PM

For Fox to score 35%, given the way the left has really tried to delegitimize them, is truly amazing. I can understand how the other networks weren’t close because there was such a split in viewers. However, with MSNBC, they’re certainly not a news organization, Fox is. The plan has worked so well, with Fox, that they’re using the same plan on the tea party.

The funny thing is, what they accuse Fox of doing, as far as being a mouthpiece for the Republican Party, their networks are actually doing. Just think of the many stories Fox has covered that the media wing of the Democratic Party (thanks Roger Hedgecock) has avoided. That says it all, in my book. Why watch a network that is helping the administration hide the truth?

bflat879 on January 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I don’t know why these bastards don’t admit it. They are the mouth of Barrack Hussein Obama, PERIOD. That’s why only six people watch this channel. I can’t see why how they stay in business. Probably because NBC keeps pumping money into these LOWLIFES. With all of this in mind, occasionally I flip over there to get a good laugh.

tmgrant on February 1, 2014 at 8:15 AM

What a whore.

WhatSlushfund on January 31, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Wow.

Reaps on February 1, 2014 at 11:04 AM

one that should embarrass Phil Griffin, NBC, and Comcast.

You can’t embarrass Godless, Shameless F#@&ing Leftist. LMAO!

Pole-Cat on February 1, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Flange on January 31, 2014 at 2:44 PM

And I’m sure MicroSoft is thrilled no one remembers what the MS stands for.

Pole-Cat on February 1, 2014 at 10:03 PM

TC@LeatherPenguin on January 31, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Nah. She has a product to sell (her) and she’s working on building her brand. Everyone can’t be Ann Coulter or Megyn Kelly. I think there is plenty of room in the media world for SE Cupp. More established brands are not going to sully themselves by appearing on PMSLSD with the likes of Toure the hiphop bozo.

Jaibones on February 2, 2014 at 11:06 AM