Opposition to ObamaCare now 2:1 … among the uninsured

posted at 10:41 am on January 30, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Behold, your chart of the day. This comes from Kaiser Health News, which has regularly polled on health-related policies, and in particular the uninsured in relation to ObamaCare. Since 2011, the support and opposition have remained fairly close together, but now that ObamaCare has been implemented, a dramatic change has taken place — and one the White House and Democrats won’t like:

kaiser-poll-uninsured

KHN says, presumably without irony, that the reason for the sudden shift is unclear:

Uninsured Americans — the people that the Affordable Care Act was designed to most aid — are increasingly critical of the law as its key provisions kick in, a poll released Thursday finds.

This month’s tracking poll from the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 47 percent of the uninsured said they hold unfavorable views of the law while 24 percent said they liked it. These negative views have increased since December, when 43 percent of the uninsured panned the law and 36 percent liked it. (KHN is an editorially independent program of the Foundation.)

The poll did not pinpoint clear reasons for this drop, which comes in the first month that people could start using insurance purchased through the online marketplaces that are at the heart of the law. It did point out that more than half of people without insurance said the law hasn’t made a difference to them or their families. In addition, the pollsters noted that almost half of people without coverage were unaware the law includes subsidies to offset premium costs for people of low and moderate incomes.

Among all Americans, the sentiment was also negative, with 50 percent holding unfavorable views of the law and 34 percent supporting it. Views on the law have not been even since the end of 2012. Despite this, just 38 percent of the public wants the law to be repealed.

One reason could well be that there are more uninsured, and this time because of ObamaCare. The poll showed that “a quarter of Americans reported a change in their insurance status during the past six months,” and that half of those cited ObamaCare for the change. If that’s exactly even, then 12.5% of all Americans have seen their insurance change (for better or worse), which makes tens of millions impacted by those changes. If half of those were negative impacts — like losing current coverage — then we’re still talking about many more Americans than we presumed to have lost insurance or experienced skyrocketing premiums. And that would, indeed, account for the large shift in public opinion over the last quarter.

The graph suggests this interpretation, too — and a bit more. Opposition to ObamaCare among the uninsured (orange line) had been rising all year in 2013, but took a sharp spike upward when it rolled out at the beginning of October. Either the uninsured discovered that being forced into the system was not the panacea promised, or a whole lot more unhappy uninsured suddenly materialized in the survey pool — and probably both are true.

Here’s another interpretation that supports the first premise. Support (blue line) had remained more or less stagnant for a year prior to the rollout, which supposedly benefited this population most. It even remained flat in the first few weeks of the rollout. Suddenly, in December, support plunges just as people are being forced to meet the deadline for January 1 coverage. That appears to indicate that support was mostly theoretical, and the reality has changed a lot of minds even among those supposedly helped most by the law.

Either way, this is not a good sign for Democrats hoping to defend themselves by citing a few anecdotes of success. They’ll have to do better than this when they try it, too:

A few weeks ago, Rep. Donna F. Edwards (D-Md.) invited a guest to President Obama’s State of the Union address: Lorita Katherine Waltz, a 49-year-old nurse from Prince George’s County who the congresswoman considers an Affordable Care Act “success story.”

But Waltz’s family did not become enrolled in a new insurance plan until Tuesday — the day of the president’s address — after weeks of trying and only with help from state leaders.

After Maryland launched its online health insurance marketplace Oct. 1, Waltz said that her husband tried to enroll but that theWeb site was not properly functioning and their status in the system was unclear. He would periodically try to log in without success, but given that the family has coverage until the end of January, Waltz said they were not worried.

On Tuesday morning, Waltz said she told Edwards’s office that she had not yet enrolled in a new health insurance plan. The office quickly put her in touch with a navigator, whom Waltz described as an official in Gov. Martin O’Malley’s Office of Health Care Reform. Waltz said that she and her husband put the navigator on speaker phone and that they tackled the health exchange Web site together.

If that’s the smell of success, it’s no wonder that the uninsured aren’t attracted to it.

Comments

Hang ‘em high this Novermber. That’s the only way they’ll hear you.

crrr6 on January 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM

“Then maybe we’ll stop passin’ votes an’ bills in a meanin’less attempt to repeal a law that already helpin’ millions of folks!…”

Or something like that.

Lanceman on January 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM

You get what you vote for morons…

PatriotRider on January 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM

*Quote from nonpartisan about how once the website is fixed we won’t have anything to use against Dems goes here*

*Quote from libfreeordie about how the country will love ObamaCare, and Dems will run on it in 2014 (mark his words), goes here*

*Quote from verbaluce about website not working on day one goes here*

NotCoach on January 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Amazing what happens when Utopia starts digging into your wallet; “free” apparently doesn’t actually mean free.

Bishop on January 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM

The Kaiser Family Foundation is Obviously a Front
for the Koch Brothers. Geez!

Do we have to explain everything to you Rubes?

ToddPA on January 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM

We’re still waiting, (D) voters…

…Hospitals will still be required by law to provide care regardless of insurance coverage or ability to pay.

Can you explain how Obamacare does anything to change the free rider problem?

Give us specifics, please.

rogerb on…

urban elitist?

verbaluce?

libfreeordie?

justthefacts?

inklake?

Can.I.be.in.the.middle?

Genuine?

bayam?

lostmotherland?

triple?

Mmm… burritos?

loveofcountry?

Not a single one of you has any idea of how it does.

Or you accept that it doesn’t and are simply ashamed to make it visibly known that you still support the takeover and associated destruction of middle class wealth.

There are no other choices.

(Although, frankly, it could be a willing combination of both.)

rogerb on October 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Crickets.

rogerb on January 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Bishop on January 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM

What truly amazes me is just how ignorant of human nature and economics those who passed and championed this law are. Of course now that we have writers at Rolling Stone openly cheering for Communism I guess criminal ignorance is all the rage nowadays.

NotCoach on January 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM

There is one clear message that needs to be repeated EVERY time Obamacare is mentioned:

Obamacare policies require MUCH higher deductibles to be paid FIRST before the insurance will pay ANYTHING.

Start from that perspective and it’s obvious WHY Obamacare is MORE unpopular with the uninsured.

Before Obamacare – YOU could CHOOSE not to be insured.

After Obamacare – The IRS will take 1% of your pre-tax income unless you are STUPID enough to get a policy that will cost you an AVERAGE of 3% of your after-tax income.

And it only took 5 statements, rather than 12 paragraphs and a chart.

PolAgnostic on January 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM

24% said they Like it

Yeah, well, these are the same saps who enter
a restuarant and when the greeter asks “Table for how
many”, they respond
“I don’t know, I can’t count that high either”.

ToddPA on January 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM

And democrats want to run on ObamaCare this fall…

Electrongod on January 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM

“I think actually that Democrats will be able to run on Obamacare as an advantage,” Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz

Clearly, if we want the uninsured to be more happy we need to follow the lead of Ms. Waltz who successfully got enrolled due to the involvement of both her Congresscritter and governor! I am quite sure that Ms. Waltz will be voting Democrat in November.

Happy Nomad on January 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Yeah, millions of Americans without health insurance- many for the first time ever. We don’t hear about these people as the left showcases the “success stories” like Ms. Waltz.

Happy Nomad on January 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM

And democrats want to run on ObamaCare this fall…

Electrongod on January 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Obamacare was designed so that the Dems would get all the credit in the 2014 elections. At this point they either run on Obamacare or run from it if they can. And incumbent Democrats can’t run away from it so they will declare it an unqualified success no matter the reality.

Happy Nomad on January 30, 2014 at 10:59 AM

It’s amazing to me that millions of people go through life not comprehending what goes on around them. They never try to understand how things work or why and just feel that when they need something, poof, it’s there!

These people vote!

Vince on January 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Isn’t it ironic that most of the uninsured don’t even understand or know about ObamaCare, let alone they are not signing up…..

Yet these same people go vote for the most socialist politicians that America offers.

Just because a politician offers you utopia – does not mean they can deliver utopia.

The government can only take and control. And yes eventually the government will take
everything from everybody – liberal, conservative, rich, poor, black, white – it will be gone.

redguy on January 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM

redguy on January 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM

That’s because elections have become no different than reality TV shows. LIVs wanted to give the final rose to “the black one” and no amount of common sense or fact would have made a difference.

Happy Nomad on January 30, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Happy Nomad on January 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM

It’s called projection. The statist excels in this form of propaganda.
Forget the fact that for every “success story” there are 1000 failures.

Remember this: The Khmer Rouge period (1975–1979) refers to the rule of Pol Pot, Nuon Chea, Ieng Sary, Son Sen, Khieu Samphan and the Khmer Rouge Communist party over Cambodia, which the Khmer Rouge renamed as Democratic Kampuchea.
The four-year period cost approximately 2 million lives through the combined result of political executions, disease, starvation, and forced labor.

The “rights and duties of the individual” were briefly defined in Article 12. They included none of what are commonly regarded as guarantees of political human rights except the statement that “men and women are equal in every respect.” The document declared, however, that “all workers” and “all peasants” were “masters” of their factories and fields. An assertion that “there is absolutely no unemployment in Democratic Kampuchea” rings true in light of the regime’s massive use of force.

Sounds a lot like the democrats in America……

Ayers’ plan for American re-education camps and the need to kill millions

redguy on January 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

The dems don’t want that website to work until next December.

docflash on January 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Go to Drudge and take a look at the video of the auto shop workers discovering just how much Obamacare is going to cost them! Well worth watching.

Happy Nomad on January 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM

To paraphrase the old line…

Jarrett: “The uninsured are revolting, Barry.”

Obama: “I’ll say they are.”

Drained Brain on January 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Henry Waxman Retiring!!!!!!

No word on who will take over meaningless “investigations” during election years.

Happy Nomad on January 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM

To paraphrase the old line…

Jarrett: “The uninsured are revolting, Barry.”

Obama: “I’ll say they are.”

Drained Brain on January 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM

And nobody is madder than Obama.

Happy Nomad on January 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Crickets.

rogerb on January 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM

rogerb:Check out these increases:
===================================

media
33m
Associated Press writers are stepping up their fight for affordable healthcare benefits and fair contracts by omitting bylines from their articles – @HuffPostMedia
read more on huffingtonpost.com
*******************************

Staffers: AP’s health care proposals would really hurt us
Posted on Jan 21, 2014 Last Updated Jan 22, 2014 Posted by Linda Johnson
************************************************************************

News Media Guild members across the country are uniformly opposed to AP’s health care proposals, which would cost many staffers far more than they could afford and effectively slash their income.

People would be hurt financially whether they are healthy, have a complex chronic illness, need surgery, are seriously injured or have a baby. Guild members are speaking out about how much they would be hit:
**********************************************************************

I have a rare cancer. I’ve had two major surgeries in the past two years. I’ll probably have more surgeries and possibly chemotherapy. My out-of-pocket costs for previous surgeries under the current AP health care plan amounted to probably less than $1,000. Now, I think it’s pretty likely I’ll reach the $4,800 ceiling for maximum out-of-pocket treatment expenses under the family plan this year if AP’s health care proposal stands. My two sons are on the family plan with me. One takes a medication that currently costs us $192 a year. Under AP’s proposal, that would increase to $698. The bottom line:

I see our out-of-pocket health care costs/premiums going up around $6,000 or more this year. And that’s if I stay entirely with in-network providers. I’m 57 and I’ve been healthy all my life until now. Now, when I most need insurance, I would have the worst coverage of my life under AP’s proposal. JOAN LOWY, WASHINGTON, D.C.

I have had a kidney transplant and have chronic, recurring autoimmune disease that attacks my new kidney. The new plan would cost me about $7,000 more a year if my treatment were to stay constant _ and more if new side effects occur and treatments are prescribed, which often occurs. MICHELLE MINKOFF, WASHINGTON, D.C.

My wife and I paid more than $1,000 in 2012 for the birth of our second child, and we would get hit much harder under the new plan, which would stress us financially. One of the biggest bills last year was the facility charge, for the use of the hospital. That totaled $9,414. Under our (basic) plan, we paid a $672 coinsurance payment, with the insurer picking up 90 percent of that bill after deducting the discount Aetna negotiated with the provider. Under the new plan, with the less-than-generous 75/25 percent coinsurance split AP’s proposing, my coinsurance payment would more than double to $1,679. That is just one of several bills you receive after having a kid. Having another baby will become a bit cost prohibitive, which is maybe what the company wants. TOM MURPHY, INDIANAPOLIS

I had a knee replacement done late last year. It cost me about $385 dollars: a $150 deductible, a $200 hospital copay and about $35 for prescriptions. The bill for doctor fees, hospital, in-home care and physical therapy _ but not pain meds _ to date is $74,774, although UHC paid at discounted rates. If I’d had this done under the health plan AP’s proposed, my potential exposure could be up to $11,350. I can really appreciate the statement, “Don’t get sick, but if you do, die quickly,” because if you live, you’ll be paying for a long time. GARY MORTLOCK, SPOKANE DATA CENTER

The health plan proposed by the AP in the current contract talks would cost me at least $2,800 in the first year and more in future years, not counting any new health issues that might come up. That’s because of expensive drugs I take to keep a muscle condition I have from getting worse. What’s far more troubling than this expense, which will wipe out any ability I have to save money, is the effect it will have on families with their pressed budgets and multiple, sometimes serious, health needs. For them, the costs of this plan could be financially crippling. WILL LESTER, WASHINGTON, D.C.

My family and I are basically healthy and fit, but under this proposed plan, I would be spending more than $17,500 a year in medical expenses within the next two years. This is untenable. MARTHA MENDOZA, SAN JOSE

My rough back-of-the envelope estimate of my cost increases under AP’s plan are dramatic since I get ostomy supplies every month and will for the rest of my life. I estimate my costs in 2013 at around $1,300. Under AP’s proposal, my costs _ including premium _ would rise to $3,500 in the first year and to $4,200 the year after _ AND that assumes medical costs remain the same, which they won’t. NORMA LOVE, CONCORD

Even though I am a very healthy person with no chronic health problems, my health care costs will more than quadruple in three years under the AP’s plan. This is unsettling. It means that I would pay much more for health insurance if this is approved. More importantly, it also makes me fearful of what would happen — and how much it would cost — if I become really sick or was injured. TAMARA LUSH, TAMPA
The AP plan would cut my salary by the $12,500 maximum, given that my wife is being treated for ovarian cancer. That is unacceptable. STEVEN HURST, WASHINGTON, D.C.

canopfor on January 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Nothing a couple dozen speeches won’t fix.

HumpBot Salvation on January 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Happy Nomad on January 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM

What’s on that video is being played out all over the country, so I’m praying that the Creature from the Hack Lagoon (aka DWS) gets her comrades in the House and Senate to actually run on Obamacare. It will make 2010 look like a day at the beach for them.

TXUS on January 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Waltz said that she and her husband put the navigator on speaker phone and that they tackledHACKED INTO the health exchange Web site together.

Key West Reader on January 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Crickets.

rogerb on January 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Thank you, rogerb.

Mark Boabaca on January 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Happy Nomad on January 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Where was the follow up question: How many of you voted for Dog Eater or the demorat party ticket?

Bishop on January 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Embrace the suck.

HiJack on January 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM

*Quote from verbaluce about website not working on day one goes here*

NotCoach on January 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM

OK. Just so happens I have at least one of those quotes handy….

Ed –
You mean the websites aren’t working perfectly on day one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen seventeen eighteen nineteen twenty twenty-one twenty-two twenty-three twenty-four twenty-five twenty-six twenty-seven twenty-eight twenty-nine thirty thirty-one thirty-two thirty-three thirty-four thirty-five thirty-six thirty-seven thirty-eight thirty-nine forty forty-one forty-two forty-three forty-four forty-five forty-six forty-seven forty-eight forty-nine fifty fifty-one fifty-two fifty-three fifty-four fifty-five fifty-six fifty-seven fifty-eight fifty-nine sixty sixty-one sixty-two sixty-three sixty-four sixty-five sixty-six sixty-seven sixty-eight sixty-nine seventy seventy-one seventy-two seventy-three seventy-four seventy-five seventy-six seventy-seven seventy-eight seventy-nine eighty eighty-one eighty-two eighty-three eighty-four eighty-five eighty-six eighty-seven eighty-eight eighty-nine ninety ninety-one ninety-two ninety-three ninety-four ninety-five ninety-six ninety-seven ninety-eight ninety-nine one hundred one hundred one one hundred two one hundred three one hundred four one hundred five one hundred six one hundred seven one hundred eight one hundred nine one hundred ten one hundred eleven one hundred twelve one hundred thirteen one hundred fourteen one hundred fifteen one hundred sixteen one hundred seventeen one hundred eighteen one hundred nineteen one hundred twenty one hundred twenty-one one hundred twenty-two
verbaluce on October 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM

canopfor on January 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM

That’s awful. Of course, if these people hadn’t been such cheerleaders for Obama and Obamacare, I would feel much worse.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM

media
33m
read more on huffingtonpost.com
*******************************

Staffers: AP’s health care proposals would really hurt us
Posted on Jan 21, 2014 Last Updated Jan 22, 2014 Posted by Linda Johnson
************************************************************************

canopfor on January 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving group. Maybe, if it takes long enough for this group to get medical care, they will be self-extinguishing for the good of the world and country.

Old Country Boy on January 30, 2014 at 12:07 PM

canopfor on January 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM

There Goes the Neighborhood:Yes, good point on the cheerleading:)

canopfor on January 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Henry Waxman Retiring!!!!!!

Happy Nomad on January 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Who will now represent the planet Ferengi?
For the non-trekies:

Ferengi —- Waxman

kurtzz3 on January 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Crickets.

rogerb on January 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I salute rogerb, the master of holding people up to see their own hypocrisy.

Sadly, the electorate has a much shorter memory than he does.

KW64 on January 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM

So political favoritism (help) got the Waltz family their coverage.

Exit Question: Is O’Malley ready to do the same for others without insurance?

GarandFan on January 30, 2014 at 12:55 PM

and then hotair will run out of material to bash the President on…that’s what you’re really afraid of, right?

nonpartisan on November 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM

But these Obamacare posts are about whistling past the graveyard, by next Novemeber Democrats will be openly running on the ACA. Mark my words.

libfreeordie on December 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Chris of Rights on January 30, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I can think of some reasons why more uninsured are turned off by the PPACA. If you think about it, excepting those enrolling into Medicaid which will have its own problems, there has been a lot of news about the structure of the individual plans — higher premiums, higher deductibles, and (now) shrinkage in provider networks. If you were uninsured before, then the prospect of obtaining coverage likely seems to be more remote and you may get charged a penalty if you don’t sign up for costly coverage.

Looks like a losing situation — you pay sizeable premiums you didn’t have while uninsured, you can’t access the plan benefits until you meet the deductibles which are generally total to a significant fraction of the premiums you have to pay as well, and your choice in providers is more circumscribed.

Sure there are subsidies that some can access, but those mechanisms are (iirc) still to be built or work unreliably. This does not even take into account reports of premiums being charged multiple times, or the general difficulty in confirming coverage that was paid for.

What’s to dislike?