Udall: Me, campaign with the president? Er… we’ll have to see what our schedules are…

posted at 1:21 pm on January 29, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

On Tuesday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid struck a bullish tone on President Obama’s approval ratings and the upcoming midterm elections, insisting that “Barack Obama is personally a very popular guy,” and that yes, he certainly would encourage some of his vulnerable Democratic colleagues in the Senate to hit the campaign trail with him in their home states.

I daresay that they don’t all feel quite the same way about it. Via RCP:

UDALL: We’re going to be running a strong campaign based on Colorado’s interests and Colorado’s future. My job, I think, is to protect Colorado’s way of life. We’ve got a wonderful –

BASH: That was not a yes or no. Yes or No?

UDALL: We’ll see what the president’s schedule is; we’ll see what my schedule is. But Coloradoans are going to re-elect me based on my record, not the president’s record. Not what the president’s done, but what I’ve done and how I have stood up for Colorado. That’s the case I’m going to make to Coloradoans.

BASH: Wow. One more chance, you’re not going to say yes or no, are you?

UDALL: We’ll see what the schedule allows. I’m running for re-election, not the president of Colorado.

BASH: Wolf, I think that’s our answer.

Sen. Udall isn’t in the hottest water relative to a handful of his fellow Democrats from red-Romney-states, but his race has been getting more competitive and the president’s slipping approval rating in Colorado isn’t likely to do him any favors, via National Journal:

Republicans need to capture six seats to win control of the Senate, and Democrats have to defend five deep-red states—Arkansas, Alaska, Montana, South Dakota, and West Virginia—where Obama’s approval rating was at or below 35 percent in 2013, according to Gallup’s 2013 polling averages. The president was also far underwater in another two Democratic-held states he lost in 2012, Louisiana (40 percent) and North Carolina (43 percent), as well as purple-tinged Colorado and Iowa (42 percent), which Obama won.

Overall, Gallup calculated Obama’s average approval in 2013 at 46 percent. …

In the past 10 years, just nine senators of the president’s party have won elections in states where presidential approval slips below the national average, according to a review of exit polls and election results since 2004.

And a lot of that slippage, of course, is coming from Coloradans’ negative reactions to the rollout of ObamaCare. The state GOP has been taking Udall to task over his possible involvement in pressuring the state’s Department of Insurance into lowering its estimate on how many Coloradans received insurance cancellations as a consequence of ObamaCare last fall, and the situation does seem pretty dicey:

A skirmish over Sen. Mark Udall’s efforts to pressure state insurance regulators into reworking their Obamacare cancellation figures has entangled another prominent Colorado Democrat: Gov. John Hickenlooper.

The Hickenlooper administration is accused of covering for Mr. Udall by claiming his staff was cleared of bullying accusations by a “neutral and objective panel” that turned out to be three administration Democrats.

Now state Republicans are calling for the resignation of a top Hickenlooper appointee, as well as for joint legislative hearings into accusations that Mr. Udall’s staff tried to intimidate state Division of Insurance employees for political gain.

Do you suppose he’s feeling nervous, perhaps?

Comments

All Udalls need to go to the same Hades as the Landrieus and Pryors, who distanced themselves from the oaf-in-chief’s ants speech.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Udall didn’t get this thug’s message.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Jump, little ‘rat, jump for your life.

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Still, I think we should use libfree’s method of political study to figure this out:

Udall is white.

Dog Eater is black.

Udall refuses to meet with a black man.

Racism is the only answer.

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Obuggerme is in WI tomorrow morning; Mary Burke, Democratic candidate for governor and Trek Bicycle silver-spoon heiress, can’t seem to coordinate her schedule with him.

M240H on January 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM

And yes, Bishop, we have paved roads and flush toilets now.

And of course, your sister spreading STDs.

M240H on January 29, 2014 at 1:31 PM

nice to see Dana Bash from CNN there actually talking
to a Dem, instead of only being used as a Doorstop by the Dems…

ToddPA on January 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM

M240H on January 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM

At the end of the day Madison will be a Chocolate Cit..er

Oh Sorry, I got my Racists mixed up…

ToddPA on January 29, 2014 at 1:36 PM

President Kryponite

portlandon on January 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Udall is white.

Dog Eater is black.

Udall refuses to meet with a black man.

Racism is the only answer.

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Barrock KNOWS what it’s like to be livin’ in a world run by RICH. WHITE. PEEPUL!!!’

Lanceman on January 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Win this for us, Amy Stephens.

GOPRanknFile on January 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Jump, little ‘rat, jump for your life.

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Perfect.

HiJack on January 29, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Win this for us, Amy Stephens.

GOPRanknFile on January 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Thanks for this link. Nice write up of her…hope she does well.

ToddPA on January 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Lanceman on January 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Heh.

My all time Rev. JWright quote:

Bill Clinton, he was ridin’ DIRTY!

ToddPA on January 29, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Lanceman on January 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM

How much money must one have to be rich? Or can someone be rich without a huge bank account?

Sabercat2 on January 29, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid struck a bullsh-t tone on President Obama’s approval ratings

Gratis.

CurtZHP on January 29, 2014 at 1:58 PM

And yes, Bishop, we have paved roads and flush toilets now.

Those are actually just over the state line in MN, not that I expect Wiscotonans to be able to understand a map.

And of course, your sister spreading STDs.

M240H on January 29, 2014 at 1:31 PM

So she’s improving the place then, she always has had a kind heart.

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 1:58 PM

It’s going to be a strange campaign.

DanMan on January 29, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Dance monkey dance to your messiah’s tune.

neyney on January 29, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Wow. Just wow.

Let’s start with the obvious. Just what exactly is the President’s record and why wouldn’t you want him to campaign for you given you vote with him nearly 100% of the time? It’s almost as if you’re afraid to be seen with him or somethin’.

And what exactly have you done for Colorado?

Happy Nomad on January 29, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Racism is the only answer.

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Maybe we’ve finally identified one of those racist individuals who only recently discovered that Obama was black.

Happy Nomad on January 29, 2014 at 2:01 PM

And what exactly have you done for Colorado?

Happy Nomad on January 29, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Nothing.
And hopefully, we’ll do to him what we did to the gun-grabbing state senate Dems last year.

dentarthurdent on January 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Nothing.

dentarthurdent on January 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM

And the gun-grabbing Gov Chickenpooper as well.

dentarthurdent on January 29, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Udall is white.

Dog Eater is black.

Udall refuses to meet with a black man.

Racism is the only answer.

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Lanceman on January 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I don’t think you’ll ever beat “the police acted stupidly” statement about a white police officer…

… in a town run by a black mayor

… in a state run by a black governor

… in a nation run by a black president.

That may be the race card record to beat of all time.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 29, 2014 at 2:12 PM

That may be the race card record to beat of all time.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 29, 2014 at 2:12 PM

I thought I was native-American because of my high cheekbones is also a contender. But, honestly, the whole idea of a “white Hispanic” pretty much is the trump card for me.

Happy Nomad on January 29, 2014 at 2:16 PM

dentarthurdent on January 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Udall is definitely no moderate. It’s fun watching him squirm about being seen with Obama. Five years ago he would have dropped everything for a photo-op.

Happy Nomad on January 29, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Thanks for this link. Nice write up of her…hope she does well.

ToddPA on January 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM

You and I have been agreeing a lot lately. Weird, huh?

GOPRanknFile on January 29, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Bank on the Rs scrooming it up.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 2:22 PM

He doesn’t care about you, rats.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Let’s stop right there. Popular with whom? The radical left? The shakedown artists? I can’t see that many people (other than a few cultists like the idiot trolls here, those who have not yet personally felt zer0′s disdain of them) like him much, if at all.

clear quadruped

Elephant

MisterElephant on January 29, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Drown on the way to Starving! Lolz!

Bmore on January 29, 2014 at 2:40 PM

With 80% approval rating for Obama in NYC and DC, the media types don’t understand how he is so unpopular in the rest of the country.

Tater Salad on January 29, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I love her “Wow” reaction. Their world is starting to crash into reality.

WisRich on January 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM

He gets an F from the NRA.

dentarthurdent on January 29, 2014 at 3:03 PM

My job, I think, is to protect Colorado’s way of life.

A way of life which has ALWAYS included exercising 2nd Amendment rights. How do you feel about your comrades driving away jobs because of their idiotic, knee-jerk state legislation, Mark?

Dexter_Alarius on January 29, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I just don’t see strong candidates running here. I’d love to see Mike Coffman run. Ken Buck is apparently going to run but Dems so dirtied him in his last run that I think he’s damaged goods. Udall lurches to the right the closer we get to election. And hope that Tancredo can defeat Hickenlooper.

COgirl on January 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM

If Coloradans want to take back their state, they will rid themselves of people like Udall.

He has not only voted lockstep with the Obama agenda (it’s on the record and you can’t run from that) he has supported the entire liberal anti-Second Amendment agenda in the state of Colorado.

Marcus Traianus on January 29, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Thanks for this link. Nice write up of her…hope she does well.

ToddPA on January 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM

You and I have been agreeing a lot lately. Weird, huh?

GOPRanknFile on January 29, 2014 at 2:21 PM

let’s not get carried away…

ToddPA on January 29, 2014 at 4:01 PM

COgirl on January 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM

I hope the Republicans keep pushing Ryan Frazier to run for something. He’s very talented.

GOPRanknFile on January 29, 2014 at 4:09 PM

COgirl on January 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM

They’ll have a hard time getting mud on Amy Stephens, so hopefully she can knock off Udall. She’s a solid smart conservative from my area – overall very conservative El Paso County.
I’d like to see Tancredo beat Chickenpooper, but he PO’d a lot of people the last time around.

dentarthurdent on January 29, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I was really, really hoping Udall would resign.

But now that I’ve thought about it a bit, watching him twist in the wind while trying to get re-elected (and watching his disbelief when he fails) could be entertaining.

bigbeachbird on January 29, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Unfortunately, the largest city in his district is the “Peoples Republic of Boulder”. I think he’s fairly safe.

chewydog on January 29, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Amy Stephens, conservative? Seriously? Founder of the Colorado Exchange before ObamaCare was even challenged by the Supreme Court? She just couldn’t wait to be a democrat. I bet she can hardly wait to join the new Boehner amnesty ticket.

Why replace one democrat with another (that just happens to be a Republican)? At least with Ken Buck, you have conservative. Maybe not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but a conservative.

NoPain on January 29, 2014 at 10:27 PM

chewydog on January 29, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Senators don’t have districts.

dentarthurdent on January 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM