Paul Ryan: Under our plan, illegals will have probationary legal status while the border is being secured

posted at 3:21 pm on January 29, 2014 by Allahpundit

We’re still waiting for Boehner and the House leadership to release their new “principles” on immigration, but I think this tells us most of what we need to know.

Pay close attention at around 1:40 of the clip. Lefty Greg Sargent thinks it’s significant. I agree.

Ryan confirms GOP “principles” will include legal status for the 11 million, but he also says this will be a ”probationary status” to make sure the 11 million will not be “preferenced over people who did follow the laws.” It’s important to have confirmation that there will be a way out of the shadows. But the probationary period idea is problematic. Details will matter, but it would probably allow for people to get the right to work up front, but they could be kicked off of probationary status if certain security benchmarks aren’t met.

Advocates see this as bad policy: Why would undocumenteds step forward, if they know they can lose work status and get deported later because of nothing that they did, but only because Washington failed to decide certain metrics had been fulfilled?

However, Ryan also says the undocumented will be allowed to work as part of “probationary” status before security benchmarks are met. “You can be on probation,” Ryan says, “while the border is being secured.”

Solution: No one comes out of the shadows until the border’s secured. The status quo on legalization holds in the meantime. There’s no rational reason why a country needs to make concessions to illegals before, or concurrent with, strengthening its borders, just as there’s no rational reason to think the GOP would use the security trigger to delay legalization ad infinitum. Everyone understands the demographic realities of the last election. Everyone knows how eager the Republican establishment is to attract Latino voters. And everyone knows how gleefully Democrats will demagogue them for dragging their feet on legalization while the border saga is playing out. Left to their own devices, Republicans would legalize illegals sooner rather than later. There’s no similar reason to believe that Democrats, left to their own devices, would eventually get around to tackling the border once legalization happened.

But I digress. “Probationary” legalization while security improvements are being made is the same nonsense in the Gang of Eight proposal, and it’s unacceptable for the same reason. Namely, in reality, there’ll be nothing probationary about it. Once “probation” is granted and illegals gain a temporary right to stay in the U.S., Congress will never muster the will to rescind that right even if the new border security efforts fall apart (or, more likely, if Obama simply refuses to carry them out). It’ll be like any other entitlement — once it’s in effect, congressional cowardice at upsetting people’s expectations will ensure that it’s with us forever. If you think the left’s immigration demagoguery is bad now, imagine what it’d be like in the summer of 2016, with border enforcement going nowhere and some Republicans in Congress whispering about canceling the conditional “probation” that was granted to illegals as a result. It’ll never happen. “Probationary” legalization is permanent legalization, period, which is why it can’t be granted until after the border’s been measurably improved. And the left will never agree to that because they don’t want the border improved; how will there be another new influx of Democratic voters over the next 20 years if the border becomes too solid to breach? They want the people here now legalized without any hard conditions and they also want to make sure that there’s not so much pressure on DHS to upgrade security that the 2045 amnesty will have to be canceled. Sounds like Boehner and Paul Ryan are going to make their dream come true.

Sargent’s also right about the path to citizenship here. Ryan mentions that there won’t be a “special” path, but near the end he imagines legalized illegals being able to apply for green cards eventually through currently existing channels, the penultimate step to citizenship. You already knew the leadership was leaning this way, but now here’s the proof. Everyone excited?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

bluegill,
there is also no great desire among voters to toss illegals out by force either. Or it would have been done by now.
I’m not sure we would ever be able to elect someone that meets your standard of conservatism anyway. I’m afraid you are just making it tougher to fight the left…sadly.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM

And even less trust in politicians not to lie to us and screw us over on whatever “deal” they come up with to deal with this problem that they are responsible for.

besser tot als rot on January 29, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Dunzo. When the D’s take over, and they will, they’re gonna ban the guns and ammo, so I’ll just stockpile while I can.

El_Terrible on January 29, 2014 at 6:56 PM

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Great to see you!!! No brownies, I’ve lost about 15 lbs and want to lose ten more. Normally the Husband would tell me to look behind me when I say that.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Lol. Great for you, Mrs. Munford! Gonna miss those brownies, though. I went vegan, but I heat chocolate is a vegetable.

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 6:58 PM

And if the border never gets secure we what? Revoke their “probationary” legal status?

LMAO!

#partyofsurrendereunuchs

HondaV65 on January 29, 2014 at 7:03 PM

NO NO NO! Hell no. They can all be either deported or driven out THE SAME WAY THEY GOT HERE – A FEW AT A TIME – and they must be. This is not happening because there are too many crooked politicians being greased by big business.

dogsoldier on January 29, 2014 at 7:07 PM

LMAO!

#partyofsurrendereunuchs

HondaV65 on January 29, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I think anybody with a brain has come to realize this will be settled the old fashion way. The way man has been settling territorial disputes since we began forming groups. Nearly everything we argue about here is nothing more than a foregone conclusion now. It’s all for entertainment whether we realize it or not. The question is when do we enter the next, more serious, phase of negotiations. Don’t hold your breath though, Rome fell for decades.

DFCtomm on January 29, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Paul Ryan, the most pro-amnesty member of Congress:

Paul Ryan called illegal aliens “exploited Americans”:

bluegill on January 29, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Cindy Munford

Mike Lee

What will we say about Mike Lee in 10 years?

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM

besser tot als rot on January 29, 2014 at 6:55 PM

True enough. I just think that we have made our point as well as we’re going to make it. It’s time to roll the dice with immigration reform and try to make the best of it. While we’re at it, perhaps we should make this less of an us versus them thing which has gotten us nowhere.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM

bluegill,

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM

That is a lefty narrative, and one often spoken by rinos. No one is talking about rounding them up, except maybe gang members and pedophiles by ICE, but if you use E-Verify, cut off the jobs, cut off benefits, there is no longer a magnet for them to stay. Most do not want citizenship. They want our money.
Capitulating to the left and parroting their talking points also makes it tough to fight them.
Bluegill…..SARAH PALIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 7:11 PM

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I’ll put it in my vegetable list. It’s a lead pipe cinch it isn’t a carb.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 7:15 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I don’t know which is more funny, bluegill as a rabid conservative or the people of the U.S. taking the law in their own hands and ousting illegals. What part of the country are you in?

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I love Sarah Palin like crazy. I wish I could agree with her 100 percent.
Is Bluegill actually her? I haven’t been around here much lately.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Hi Cindy,
I’m in Charlotte North Carolina. What about yourself?

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Ryan gets stupider looking every day.

rrpjr on January 29, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Odd, I seem to remember him being some kind of Conservative hero not too far back.

These guys are scum, just pure scum and I’m not sure which are worse-the ones who admit they’re pinko Socialists or the ones who claim they’re Conservatives and really aren’t.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 29, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Forget the bullshit folks. The border will never, and I repeat never, be secured. Both parties know this. The actuary tables for the US prevent it. The entire structure, supported by both Dems and Repubs, calls for a minimum fixed population growth without which the entire system collapses. The Paul Ryan’s of the world are as full of sh*t as any Pelosi looking for the next cheap vote.

My advice…learn Spanish.

patrick neid on January 29, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I love Sarah Palin like crazy. I wish I could agree with her 100 percent.
Is Bluegill actually her? I haven’t been around here much lately.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Yes, yes, Bluegill is Sarah Palin! /s

Southern Border Zone, USA with a soldier in the border battle. You will NEVER convince me that amnesty or anything other than an eviction notice is best for illegal aliens.

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 7:26 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Northern Florida. To say that bluegill doesn’t like Gov. Palin would be the understatement of the century. Somehow she went from being a devotee of Gov. Romney to Sen. Cruz. While I like the direction, I am at a loss to explain it. Personally I think it is that he went to Harvard.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 7:30 PM

At this point HornetSting I’m more concerned about what is best for us. After 8 years of this we have not convinced them to issue that eviction notice. What does it say about us that we can’t accept defeat on the path to citizenship question? I’m not trying to change your mind, I agree with you. I just don’t see any shame in living to fight another day.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Has a decent primary challenger shown him/herself in Ryan’s district?

NotCoach on January 29, 2014 at 3:24 PM

According to this FEC list http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2014/2014pdates.pdf
The Congressional Primary Election in Wisconsin is on August 12, 2014. The deadline for candidates to get on the Primary ballot is June 2.

A quick Google search turns up 2 Democrats running against Paul Ryan in Wisconsin’s 1st Congressional District. These Democrats are Rob Zerban and Amardeep Kaleka.

I have not been able to find a Republican candidate who has announced a run against Paul Ryan in the Primary yet.

If Paul Ryan is in favor of any immigration policy other than deporting ILLEGAL aliens as efficiently as possible, then he needs to be challenged in Wisconsin’s Republican Primary Election.

I am sad to see Paul Ryan turn against American Citizens and LEGAL immigrants by supporting allowing ILLEGAL aliens to stay in the USA. I used to be a big fan of Paul Ryan. But after watching that video, it is clear that it is time for Paul Ryan to be VOTED OUT OF OFFICE.

wren on January 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Perhaps Palin simply picks form the field in play – and not from the field she wishes were in play.

Maybe?

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM

30-40 million illegals with a pathway to citizenship, now do you think once they ARE GIVEN citizenship, because they sure didn’t earn it, they are going to want to dig ditches, clean hotel rooms, and pick lettuce…oh no, they want your job. And, the democrats will fight for special programs to help them. Are you going to accept defeat for that? How about the democrats fight to give them voting privileges and a pathway to more freebies? Are you going to take a stand then?
Your fight will be shouted down in forty different languages at the voting booth.

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Thanks Cindy. I’ll see if that insight helps me any…it could.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Palin supports rinos Lindsey Graham & Mitch McConnell.
Huckabee supports Graham, calling him a “conservative champion”.
The AZ republican party censured McCain calling his liberal record in the Senate “disastrous & harmful”.
Sarah Palin defended McCain…why would the GOP reprimand such an American hero?!?
What’s that tell ya?

Belle on January 29, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Preferenced? What kinda “speak” is dat?

Boy these RINOS really know how to lose their base and lose elections.

They are GDed experts at it!

Sherman1864 on January 29, 2014 at 7:46 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM

You and all like you are equal traitors, same as Ryan and obama.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 7:52 PM

What’s that tell ya?

Belle on January 29, 2014 at 7:44 PM

It tells me that you are bent on trying to find ways to divide us further rather than find ways to unite us.

Hornet, if they are “given” citizenship then they will be citizens and I would hope for their full success just as I hope for any American to be successful.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Fools, NO one has asked for trucking or busing people out.

Remove the carrots and bennies, and they’ll self-deport.

Most don’t give a damn about the US or about citizenship. Most send all their dough, incl. the tax refund, which Ryan/Murray passed, at the cost of the Veterans’ pay cut, back to their lands of origins.

Go to Hell all you traitors.

No, I don’t care what you squishes from the right think. YOU are more disgusting than the leftist thugs, who always fight for their lack of principles.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Hornet, sting! Your enemies are on the right, waaaay more guilty than on the left. The former enable the latter.

Have you no shame, you illegal azz-kissers?

I hope your children and you suffer the consequences of all this illegality, for good. YOU deserve no less. YOU are disgusting, traitors to the land, the legal US workers, your children and all who immigrated to the US legally.

I hope you get your amnesty. The borders will Never be secure and I hope you Never ever again win a single race.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 7:55 PM

America is being sold/destroyed by the squishy right.

obama is not the real enemy. He holds the second place to the traitors from the right.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 7:57 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM

We can’t even get them to secure the border, no many how many times they vote on it and how much money is alotted. There is zero reason to reward lawlessness.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 7:58 PM

This means the death of the GOP and, therefore, the death of America.

Why because legitimate opposition to the socialist left will cease while a new political opposition gets organized and America cannot survive the political hegemony of the Alinsky socialist left.

Defeat Greg Walden.

Whitewolf7070 on January 29, 2014 at 7:58 PM

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Sorry, you misunderstood, we are talking about bluegill. The only way Gov. Palin works into the conversation is bluegill’s disdain for her.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 7:59 PM

bluegill, you fight!!! I don’t even care if you’re AP himself.

Your comments are impeccable. Whoever you are, you are very smart and you have the capacity to annoy the hornets’ nests (not related to Hornet Sting at all).

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 8:00 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Also, I might point out that the American people have never voted on this and their elected officials are being paid to supply cheap labor. That’s why I think your remark about

is so odd. The citizens of this nation don’t make a habit of taking the law into their own hands.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 7:59 PM

You are right – I did misunderstand

I stand corrected and in apology

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 8:03 PM

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 8:03 PM

No apology necessary.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Napolitano, with the blessings of obama and the Rs, made it so the border will NEVER be enforced, ever again.

Don’t be fooled by any border talk, no matter where it comes from. The borders are effectively open and will remain so. The rest is just fooling you, or with you.

One thing the morons should do – replace all the PC thugs who work at the airport immigration. It is a national shame to watch how sub-human the agents are and how they treat the legal tourists to America.

Nowhere in the world, absolutely nowhere, do such sub-human PC swine work for immigration. One can safely and pleasantly travel the world over, and one can never experience the shameful actions of the hyenas of the US immigration goons. It is disgusting and it costs the US a lot in lost dollars, from tourism alone. I’ve experienced it hundreds of times, watching the most disgusting treatment of decent people from all over the world.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 8:04 PM

No apology necessary.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:03 PM

It’s a habit – daughters you understand …..

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Then, you are a fool. But, my husband is out on that line tonight, risking his life to defend that border, so that fools like yourself can feel all good about yourselves and reward lawbreakers.
Yes, I am very biased, that makes me black and white on this issue. Your thinking makes you foolish and a steady friend of the democrats and their agenda.

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Have you no shame, you illegal azz-kissers?

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 7:55 PM

They should know better, my Schad. You are correct, sir!

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 8:09 PM

There are two types if illegal immigrants, the grunts and the white color ones.

What “cheap labor” are you talking about, as regards the white color labor? The illegals from India make on average 90,000/yr, taking your best jobs away…they are not employees…they are most all contractors.

I have resumes they fudged, over and over…they and their own agencies make up resumes, on an as-needed basis. If they get caught the form another agency. They are sharp and fight to get in, at lower costs, then learn on the job and see to it that they get more work and etc.

YOU can send your kids to college and then they can politely and honestly watch how these people take their bread and butter. They are not alone…other Asians have different ways to operate…

Illegals are not only about construction and restaurant workers.

You and your kids are sold by the R/Ds, for their stuffed pockets, cheap labor and D votes.

Work harder, idiots. The global redistribution and D-voting pools need to be sustained…by your sacrifices, your reduced standard of living. Who needs laws?

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 8:13 PM

It’s true, the GOP has sold us down the river.
The progressives are more honest than the GOP.
They want to destroy America, & are honest about it.
The GOP’s pull their act together, mostly at election time, like McCain sold secure borders to his constituents at re-election time. Others, like Boehner, don’t have to pretend. These despicable politicians have their pockets lined with gold & probably a separate file for all the lobbyists offers.
Ryan just won re-election, so he can comfortably get out of the closet.
Graham is trying to reinvent himself as this true blue conservative. Yep, true blue alright.
Schadenfreude, is there no hope?

Belle on January 29, 2014 at 8:13 PM

LMAO!

#partyofsurrendereunuchs

HondaV65 on January 29, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Hey! It’s the ObamaVoter!!

Why are you complaining? You voted for the Amnesty Party, not the Surrender Eunuchs. It’s exactly what you voted for.

Just be patient and there will be millions more ObamaVoters just like you!

kim roy on January 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Cindy,
That’s what I meant when I said this issue is tearing us apart. There are forces on both sides that have allowed this to happen. So in a sense you can say that we created this problem together and that’s how we will solve it. If the majority of Americans wanted to forcibly remove all illegal immigrants and their anchor children, we would have elected government officials that are committed to doing that. But we have not done so. I think we need to let folks like Ryan come up with some new border enforcement and move forward.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Schadenfreude, is there no hope?

Belle on January 29, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Looking around, very little. The Rs disgust me more than the Ds. The latter are thugs, who fight for the retarded Utopias. The former help them out, in droves.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 8:21 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Quit your “forcibly” lying bullchit!

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 8:22 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM

No, because we elect people that lie to us. How many times have we heard secure the border and it has not been done. So you think we really don’t want the border secured? The GOP is getting ready to go belly up because they are nothing different from the Democrats. And if you don’t think the base is starting to catch on and stay home, say hello to President Romeny.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:22 PM

There will never be “border enforcement”, only the illusion thereof.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 8:23 PM

If you can’t trust obama on obama’care’, to enforce his own signature law, why would you trust him on amnesty/borders?

Wake up already.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Oh okay Hornet, de facto amnesty is better than the real thing. Just keep the cabbage pickers in their place….got it.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

1-e-verify
2-secure the border in the name of national security
3-anyone applying for any fed or state benefits of ANY kind must show proof of citizenship.
4-put a reasonable time frame for self deportation
5-anyone still in the country after that time frame gets deported immediately with no possibility to reenter the country legally for any reason.
6-anyone who leaves before the deadline can get on line like e eryone else.

hopeful on January 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:22 PM

+ 200 million sane legal Americans

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 8:25 PM

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Yeah, that’s about it. Further down to the Almighty Government Teat. More Julias and more socialism.

Oh, and don’t forget the shiny new race cards that will be played.

This is what happens when you have elected officials who want to get along and take the easiest route. Until that changes, we carry on the same merry road.

kim roy on January 29, 2014 at 8:25 PM

There will never be “border enforcement”, only the illusion thereof.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Of course not. Nothing’s been stopping them from doing something for the past how many years.

kim roy on January 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Oh and by the way, only 3% of citizens polled think that this is an issue that is pressing. I assume it was “citizens” polled.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:28 PM

200+ years of discussing this issue – maybe the other 97% of the population is in fact, focused elsewhere.

The passion is real – no denying that.

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 8:29 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

That wasn’t what she said.

And why are you so stridently advocating capitulation? Do you really think that just opening the doors to any kind of legitimacy for a number of ILLEGAL residents is going to be good in any way, shape or form??

kim roy on January 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Nice race card, I bet you keep it handy. How many laws do you get to break on a daily basis and get rewarded? Can I steal a car and keep it if I take really really good care of it?

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Allowing lawbreakers the chance at citizenship over those who waited their turn and paid their dues and fines because we have a socialist, pen wielding, walking constitutional crisis who wants 30-40 million more welfare zombie voters? So you can feel better about yourself? No thanks.

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 8:33 PM

On this issue, Ann Coulter tells it like it is:

bluegill on January 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 8:29 PM

We seem to be forgetting all the moving stories about Ellis Island and what it took to get here for people in the past. I’m sorry but I care more about my countrymen and their needs than lawbreakers. There maybe on 3% who feel this is a pressing issue for Congress to tackle but you let them grant amnesty and they will hear from a lot more than that. I am sure they figure we will get over it. It worked out so swell last time it was done.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Check out Drudge’s picture of Boehner. http://www.drudgereport.com/

davidk on January 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Check out Drudge’s picture of Boehner. http://www.drudgereport.com/

davidk on January 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Hilarious, if it wasn’t going to kill the country….Ann depressed me.

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Anyone who doubts that RINOs are simply democrats who have infiltrated the GOP in order to destroy hasn’t been paying attention. Our country is beyond saving politically and will soon be beyond saving by any means.

bgibbs1000 on January 29, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM

But Cindy – used to be you came to the USA to work hard – to start at the bottom. There was no welfare – no food stamps – you acclimated yourself into society – you drove your family to succeed.

The pendulum will swing – when we again have leaders that speak the virtues of hard work – of self worth.

I am just old enough to remember the Carter years – Vietnam – Nixon – stagflation – no gas at the pumps.

We will rise again – I believe that. No, I know that.

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 8:41 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM

You don’t have to even take care of it, Mrs. Munford. Ever seen a neighborhood overrun by illegal aliens? And, I have never picked cabbage out of anything but a produce section….almost half of me is offended. /

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Just keep the cabbage pickers in their place….got it.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Dear God.

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 8:44 PM

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 8:41 PM

They advertise foodstamps in Mexico. I am sure that a good number of these folks still come to work and do well for their families and if Congress wants to make it less expensive and the paperwork and time less onerous, that’s fine. After the close the border. As for those here illegal. They are S.O.L. as far as I am concerned, no rewards for lawbreakers.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:46 PM

We are in agreement.

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2014 at 8:47 PM

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I’m sure that’s because they are in the shadows and everything.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Sooo…it’s the old “Trust me: I know what I’m doing” routine??

And you’re advocating essentially the same plan which has produced decades of failure due to refusal to enforce existing laws? And you’re doing NOTHING about enforcing laws??

HELL NO!!!

landlines on January 29, 2014 at 8:48 PM

What we need is an authentic Champion of the People. Someone who actually fights for American citizens, especially the middle class, and not for illegals and a handful of billionaires. If the Republican Party refuses to listen to it’s base then the base needs to leave the party.

Oracleforhire on January 29, 2014 at 8:54 PM

..you can’t secure the border?…phuck everyone and their talk of “reform”…OR………..”our program”…phuck your programs!

KOOLAID2 on January 29, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Senator Sessions warns House GOP ” Immigration Bill is Bad Politics and Bad Policy”

Sessions stands up for citizens and legal immigrants, the rule of law and working Americans.

thatsafactjack on January 29, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Primary this JACKASS

WisCon on January 29, 2014 at 8:56 PM

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I’m sure that’s because they are in the shadows and everything.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I only do the jobs Americans won’t do. In the shadows. Except on MayDay, when my la raza and Lulac friends march for my rights with the communists and the socialists.

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 9:02 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 9:03 PM

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 9:02 PM

You would think these desperate to be citizens of the U.S. would buy a clue on their flag waving and apparel choices.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Great headline link on Drudge, but according to the genius bloggers at HA so-called immigration reform is a nothing-burger when it comes to electoral consequences.

Wigglesworth on January 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM

And keep better company.

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Wigglesworth on January 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I imagine that the chances vary from day to day based on the amount raked in from donors. The more wishy washy the Republicans are, the more money is shoveled their way. In the end they will screw us all.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2014 at 9:19 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 9:03 PM

It’s good you re-quoted the above because it clearly illustrates that you decided to interpret it in a negative manner and cherry picked two words to fulfill whatever agenda you are choosing to fulfill.

Just to remind, this was your comment:

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Nowhere in the above that you so kindly reposted is anything said about keeping anyone “in their place” and to distinguish “cabbage pickers” out of that laundry list…. why that is what the liberal media do.

Makes me wonder if you are a liberal what with favoring amnesty and your tactics here.

kim roy on January 29, 2014 at 9:25 PM

bluegill,

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Do NOT mistake whether something has been done or not as a measure of what the will of the people is.

There are great swathes of stuff the people *want* that aren’t being done, and things the people do NOT want that *are* being done.

Midas on January 29, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I’m afraid you are just making it tougher to fight the left…sadly.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Sockpuppet goal.

Murphy9 on January 29, 2014 at 9:34 PM

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Just to remind, this was your comment:

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 8:24 PM

kim roy on January 29, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I completely missed this Kim. Thank you, couldn’t say it better myself. And, I said lettuce so that you could feel more kinship with John McCain. You two have so much in common, NC, way way away from the border.

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 9:37 PM

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 9:37 PM

My pleasure. It’s almost like you used the words “lettuce pickers” as sort of a dog whistle, even though it was abundantly clear what you meant if one were to read in context.

Nicely done.

kim roy on January 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM

kim,
I don’t need my conservative bonafides validated by you or anyone else. Just simply pointing out that racism does play a part in the objection to immigration reform. If you don’t believe so, you’re naive. The majority of Americans want immigration reform. Period. Obviously those that support the status quo are here in force and not all are racially motivated but it’s time to break the impasse.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I believe the GOP is gambling they can replace the votes they’ll lose from the conservative base over passing amnesty with those of disaffected Democrats who are livid over ObamaCare and some Latino’s they may pick up for passing amnesty.

They’re thinking must be along the lines that they don’t need to keep those disaffected Democrats votes long term because they’re banking on the conservative base ‘getting over it’ and forgetting they betrayed their own base.

In my case, I’ll forget about it when Satan is wearing a parka and thermal underwear, selling snow cones on the corner of Sulpher and Brimstone.

I will never again vote for any member of the political class, Left or Right, who either supports amnesty, or has a hand in passing amnesty, for any office, in any capacity. It’s my civic duty not to return a politician who has betrayed the public trust, in specific American citizens, to any form of public office. Ever.

As to those disaffected Democrats: they won’t come over to the GOP in any great numbers. This nation has never been so divided. There are still far more in the LEFT voting simply to keep their benefits than there are those willing to cross the aisle out of anger over ObamaCare.

This is a massive miscalculation on the parts of the GOP and their donor masters.

thatsafactjack on January 29, 2014 at 9:49 PM

kim roy on January 29, 2014 at 9:25 PM

No, they are GOPe trolls here to “alinsky” conservatives who comment on Hot Air.

The difference between “political operatives” and prostitutes?

There are some things even a prostitute WON’T do for money.

PolAgnostic on January 29, 2014 at 9:49 PM

it’s time to break the impasse.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I’ll agree with that much of what you’ve said.

Enforce the law. Secure the border. Institute mandatory E-verify for every employer with a stiff prison term and fine for violation. End automatic birthright citizenship for the children of foreign nationals unless one parent is a citizen or a legal permanent resident.

It’s interesting that you use that ‘racism’ canard. Which race do you suppose people are opposed to being allowed to remain in our nation, since illegal aliens hale from all over the world, are of virtually every ethnic group and every race?

This nation already has one of the most generous immigration systems in the entire world. We accept about 1 million legal immigrants every year. Of those, about 750,000 are legal immigrants, and about 250,000 are asylum seekers and refugees.

There are currently about 4.5 million potential legal immigrants waiting around the world, already part of the system, for the opportunity to come to this nation legally.

No one who has willfully shattered federal immigration law in order to satisfy their own goals has the right to push ahead of those waiting around the world to come here legally.

thatsafactjack on January 29, 2014 at 9:55 PM

It will be just like 1986 – amnesty with no enforcement, no additional border security and no e-verify.

People like Schumer, McCain and Ryan have lied to us before and they will lie to us again.

bw222 on January 29, 2014 at 10:01 PM

From NumbersUSA:

Even before Speaker Boehner and other leaders formally unveil their immigration principles at the House Republican retreat, several members of the influential Republican Study Committee have said there is a growing consensus of Members who believe that it is a bad idea to consider immigration on the House floor this year. Not having the support of the Republican Study Committee, which is comprised of over 160 conservative Republicans, could damage Boehner’s efforts to move piecemeal legislation in 2014.

If you haven’t signed up go to http://www.numbersusa.com. You send free faxes and alerts of when to call.

One of the NUSA directors emailed me yesterday that an aide in a S.C. office they received over 400 calls within an hour.

TxAnn56 on January 29, 2014 at 10:08 PM

thatsafactjack on January 29, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I’m not defending the actions of any illegal immigrant. Just being honest about how we as a nation have been implicit in allowing the current situation to exist. If you want to just blame illegal immigrants and take no responsibility, then I guess that’s your right. I agree with you that we are a generous nation when it comes to immigration, that’s why I believe that we can and should keep trying when it comes to our immigration policies and the enforcement of our southern border with Mexico.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 10:10 PM

America is being sold/destroyed by the squishy right.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Welcome to the party, though most of Hot Air was scolding those of us warning you guys about all this since 2007. Could be too late now.

newtopia on January 29, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I do hope there is some action on immigration reform.. pushing this issue down the line is what has brought us to this mess of a system..

Immigration reform does not equal to amnesty. We need to urgently convert our legal immigration system from family based chain migration to skills/education based. we are the only developed nation having a family based immigration system. The diversity visa needs to go. There needs to be stricter tracking on people on tourist /student visas so they don’t overstay.

The democrats insistence on a comprehensive bill has left these issues festering for too long..

jdivito on January 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM

As for illegal immigration: Divide and conquer..

Give the dreamers student visas with strict criteria – they will then have to join the back of the line for legal immigration.

The Chamber of commerce is pushing for low wage workers, instead give them agricultural and construction visas.. employers will have to furnish bonds that the workers will go home when their visas expire.. Illegals in the country can apply for such visas – they will be work visas with an expiration date and a bond. They will never be eligible for legal status. The Chamber gets its workers and a big force pushing to amnesty will be diminished.

While reforming legal immigration get controls in place that will ensure workplace compliance and huge fines for hiring illegal workers.

jdivito on January 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Anyone who doesn’t want illegals out of the country doesn’t have to deal with massive swaths of them.

I constantly have mexicans start speaking to me in spanish for whatever reason, they then look at me like I am a dumb@ss because I don’t speak Mexico’s native language.

JAGonzo on January 29, 2014 at 10:43 PM