Dawww: Budweiser releases Super Bowl ad with all the cutes

posted at 9:21 pm on January 29, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

A palate cleanser after State of the Union is in order, I think. This one’s as light-hearted and saccharine as they come.

I was prepared to be a steely-eyed, stone-faced, savvy consumer, unmoved by Budweiser’s latest attempt to turn a CuteEmergency post into a Super Bowl ad. But alas, the reason this stuff works is blatant appeals to emotion and bland, nonspecific, but beautiful feel-good images that studiously avoid references to the actual product at hand are pretty darn effective. Amirite, America? And, then there you are tearing up at a beer commercial. The same thing happened to me with “Marley & Me.” Which, it could be worse. I’m on the record as preferring a Super Bowl ad that appeals to our better angels rather than the crass, dumb, unfunny, and often sexist jokes (to both sexes, mind you) that riddle so many of them. And, Bud has been better than many of its fellow beer-hawkers in this respect. I liked last year’s cutesy Clydesdale commercial, but more than that, I’ve enjoyed the “Superstition” series of Bud Light ads, which hits on the near-universal tendency of sports fans to put their faith in nonsensical sacred talismans (and, as a bonus, features normal women enjoying football and beer alongside the men in the commercials).

Anyway, here are your feels. I mean, it’s even called “Puppy Love.”

Dark exit question: What happened to the guy who tried to adopt the puppy?

Comments

Cute sucks.

Discuss

(ducks and runs for cover)

viking01 on January 29, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Dark exit question: What happened to the guy who tried to adopt the puppy?

The puppy needs meat to become big and strong.

At least this is a commercial I don’t need to suddenly launch across the room to shield my younger children’s eyes from while we watch an effin football game.

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I don’t care about the beer. I want a puppy and a horse now.

mimi1220 on January 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Dark exit question: What happened to the guy who tried to adopt the puppy?

The puppy needs meat to become big and strong.

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 9:29 PM

You, Bishop, owe me a lap top screen.

It beats the ASPCA “dead animal” commercial, at least, that’s what we call it….”Turn the channel, the dead animal commercial is on again!”

Bud’s tribute to 9/11 made me cry like a thin skinned socialist.

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I heart MKH

John the Libertarian on January 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

This is MY favorite Budweiser ad.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 29, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Dark exit question: What happened to the guy who tried to adopt the puppy?

It was Obama and he ate him.

John the Libertarian on January 29, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I don’t know how they’ll do it, I havn’t a clue….but….

MSNBC will try to prove to America that that commerical is…

RACIST!

KirknBurker on January 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I like cite puppies too, but this ad did nothing for me. I think the writeup had me expecting too much.

Fenris on January 29, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Dark exit question: What happened to the guy who tried to adopt the puppy?

He got a cat instead, they moved to NYC and lived unhappily ever after.

Grinch on January 29, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Dark exit question: What happened to the guy who tried to adopt the puppy?

He’s sleeping with the fishes in the manure pile.

HotAirian on January 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I don’t know how they’ll do it, I havn’t a clue….but….

MSNBC will try to prove to America that that commerical is…

RACIST!

KirknBurker on January 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM

“What color is the puppy?”, Eric Holder shouted angrily.

viking01 on January 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM

This is MY favorite Budweiser ad.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 29, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Horses in NYC? Not in de Blasio’s America!

Fenris on January 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM

this is MY favorite Budweiser ad. annoyinglittletwerp on January 29, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Yea,, that’s good.

wolly4321 on January 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I like the one where the guy raises the Clysdale anr sends him off. Goes to see him perform years later and the horse sees him. Hunts him down. Makes me well up..

wolly4321 on January 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I bet you..

That horse and that dog didn’t watch the SOTU….

Just sayin’

Electrongod on January 29, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Awwww. A puppy and horsies – can’t beat that. Well, maybe if they coulda worked a kitten into it, too.

whatcat on January 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Awwww. If I drank beer, I’d choose Budweiser. I think.

SouthernGent on January 29, 2014 at 9:55 PM

For Wolly.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 29, 2014 at 9:56 PM

This is MY favorite Budweiser ad.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 29, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Dammit, ALT. I have something in my eye. You did that on purpose!

HornetSting on January 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Dog makes a fine meal, and they shoot horses, don’t they?

locomotivebreath1901 on January 29, 2014 at 9:58 PM

As usual, another brilliant ad by the A-B ad folks. They have a long and illustrious history of creating Epic Ads. Money be damned!

In fact that’s the key as to why all of their ads have worked-film production values second to none.

Speaking of Dogs, be sure to cheer for “Wyatt”, a 4 month young Terrier mix from here in NH. He’ll be a participant in this Sunday’s Puppy Bowl.

Pound Puppy.

Del Dolemonte on January 29, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Dammit that made me cry. Going to go hug my dogs now.

Defenestratus on January 29, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 9:29 PM

You’ll likely still need to shield the kid’s peepers during the halftime show. But at least a real singer will finally be singing the national anthem.

whatcat on January 29, 2014 at 10:03 PM

That’s the one ALT, thx.

I’m not crying.. ;)

wolly4321 on January 29, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Go look up “Audi 2014 big game ad”

It’s quite hilarious.

Defenestratus on January 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Heterosexual (homosapien) couple even gets together at the end of this ad. GLAAD will likely be launching a boycott of Budweiser.

RushBaby on January 29, 2014 at 10:08 PM

What is “Because there’s a micro-brewery within a few miles of you, owned by your neighbors not a foreign conglomerate, that makes outstanding, wonderful actual beer?”, Alex.

M240H on January 29, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I drank far too much of the Wisenheimer while in the Navy, and to this day the only reason I can come up with for why is because it was so friggin’ cheap. Even smelling the stuff today will turn me green, sorry but it’s bad beer.

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 10:13 PM

This ad promotes bullying by Clydesdales – Progressive Moonbat

workingclass artist on January 29, 2014 at 10:15 PM

This is my favorite Budweiser commercial

Airport

gophergirl on January 29, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Still, I’d drink Bud before having another of what I guzzled in high school, the infamous Strohs. If I so much as cracked a can of that now I would instantly have a migraine.

Not that I drank in high school. I meant IF I had drank in high school.

Bishop on January 29, 2014 at 10:19 PM

What happened to the guy who tried to adopt the puppy?

The same thing that happened to Catherine the Great. IYKWIMAITYD

myiq2xu on January 29, 2014 at 10:23 PM

This is MY favorite Budweiser ad.
annoyinglittletwerp on January 29, 2014 at 9:37 PM

That was great, ALT – this isn’t a Bud ad, it’s the national anthem ceremony from the Chargers-Vikings Sept 11th, 2011 game. Still makes me choke up.

whatcat on January 29, 2014 at 10:28 PM

1) Bud Light is my beer of choice. (I know, I have plebian tastes.)

2) This is such a girly thread. That’s ok though, I like girls.

3) Yeah, ‘Marley & me’ was pretty good. Not the kind of movie I would have ordinarily watched, but I think I saw it when I was staying in a hotel on business and there was nothing else on. Turned out to be ok.

Speaking of cute dog movies, has anyone seen ‘Starlet’? A small indie flick which I believe is available on Netflix streaming. Good dog movie.

WhatSlushfund on January 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Dark exit question: What happened to the guy who tried to adopt the puppy?

Glue factory.

nukemhill on January 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM

OK.. I’m a sap.. but I love the Bud ads… and this one is just sooo darn cute.. how can you go wrong with puppies and horses???

vamp57mw on January 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM

ALT.. that one always makes me tear up.. thanks for sharing and reminding us…

vamp57mw on January 29, 2014 at 10:50 PM

MELVIN UDALL: Over a dog! Over an ugly dog.

mike_NC9 on January 29, 2014 at 10:53 PM

…JugEars will think the dog is a meal!

KOOLAID2 on January 29, 2014 at 10:58 PM

I’ve got so many tears in my eyes over this sweet commercial that I’m starting to look like Boehner.

neyney on January 29, 2014 at 11:18 PM

It took them months of training to get that pup to sniff the horse’s nose and more to teach the horse not to stamp on him. A lot of horses hate dogs. They remind them of wolves.

Those Clydesdales are pampered and kept for P.R. In real life, they deliver beer in big trucks that would flatten that pup before the driver could see him chasing the tires.

I just watched a program on NatGeo about alcoholism. It said that 45,000 people die of it each year. Probably why it’s called inTOXICation.

flataffect on January 29, 2014 at 11:19 PM

fans to put their faith in nonsensical sacred talismans

It’s only weird if it doesn’t work.

John the Libertarian on January 29, 2014 at 11:41 PM

I used to work at an A-B owned theme park. We’d see previews of the new ads at the employee banquets. Got to play a bit with our park’s Clydesdale hitch too.
I used to love to see the horses being walked every morning, four or more at a time by one guy who was dwarved by the calm giants. We’d joke that the horses should make a wish. Then we’d see the horses all groomed to the nines in their afternoon parade. It took hours to get them ready for that everyday.

Passing by the barn one morning I saw that Bud, the Dalmatian, who usually ran loose, was locked up in a stall. He had hiked his leg on some merchandise and was in time out. I’m glad I don’t have that job anymore, but there are some things I really miss. It was a good company to work for too.

juliesa on January 30, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Daaaawwwwwwww! :)

BoxHead1 on January 30, 2014 at 1:02 AM

I don’t care about the beer. I want a puppy and a horse now.

mimi1220 on January 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I like the one where the guy raises the Clydesdale and sends him off. Goes to see him perform years later and the horse sees him. Hunts him down. Makes me well up..

wolly4321 on January 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM+

Me too to both.

MKH: this was an EXCELLENT antidote to last night’s…um…er…Oh, I’ll be nice…speech. Thank you.

Kevin K. on January 30, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Am I the only one who thinks this is a corny, ineffective ad? Did nothing for me. And I can get emotional at good commercials. They are putting human characteristics on these animals.

I think this Thai one is more emotional:

bluegill on January 30, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Am I the only one who thinks this is a corny, ineffective ad?

Cute is often corny.

They are putting human characteristics on these animals.

That’s a hallmark tradition of the Bud Superbowl ads, e.g. this.

I think this Thai one is more emotional:
bluegill on January 30, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Naw – Superbowl ads are designed to make people feel happy, not depressed.

whatcat on January 30, 2014 at 5:23 AM

flataffect on January 29, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Good grief, you must be a ball at parties.

DrMagnolias on January 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM

What happened to the guy who tried to adopt the puppy?

He also lost his insurance.

rubberneck on January 30, 2014 at 7:52 AM

MSNBC will try to prove to America that that commerical is…

RACIST!

KirknBurker on January 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Clearly, it’s racist.

The woman who owns the puppy farm is white, the man who owns the horse farm is white, the customer who buys the puppy is white. Hell, even the dog itself has light-colored fur.

There is only one non-white person in the commercial, and if you blink you’ll miss him. Clearly the corporate interests responsible for creating this commercial are reinforcing racist stereotypes by casting all the major roles with white (or in the case of the dog, cream colored) actors, while relegating the sole non-white actor to a subservient, barely visible part.

Where’s Al Sharpton when you need him?

AZCoyote on January 30, 2014 at 8:02 AM

You don’t open presents until Christmas morning, and you don’t watch Superbowl ads until the Superbowl.

Harrumph!

rbj on January 30, 2014 at 8:11 AM

AZCoyote on January 30, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Hold up Coyote there may be plenty of faux outrageous outrage over the new Cheerios commercial. Actually there may be potential for cross branding here…perhaps the dad in the Cheerios commercial was getting the puppy in the Bud ad?

Brat on January 30, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Brat on January 30, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Yes, I remember the “outrage” over the bi-racial couple in the Cheerios ad. Because bi-racial couples are so unusual, right? I mean, people rarely ever see that kind of thing here in 1950′s America, so naturally people were shocked.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out that the much-ballyhooed “racist” reaction to that ad was manufactured by the ad agency as a way to get more attention paid to the ad. The left is adept at manipulating people that way (remember all the media attention paid to Obama’s 2008 campaign when women started “fainting” and “swooning” at the mere sight of His Awesomeness at campaign events?)

AZCoyote on January 30, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Well Coyote, right on cue I see in the Headlines that MSNBC made an ass of themselves already in regard to the Cheerios ad.

And I agree with other commenters, I don’t like seeing SB ads before the SB.

Brat on January 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM

M240H on January 29, 2014 at 10:11 PM

What about if there’s a Budweiser brewery just a few miles from my house? Depending on which way the wind’s blowing while driving on I270, you can smell the hops.

dominigan on January 30, 2014 at 9:48 AM

My personal fave…

CurtZHP on January 30, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Slightly, but not really, off-topic: Budweiser’s Dalmatian, who rides on the wagon next to the drivers, is named Brewer! Wonder what he/she thought of the commercial. Gotta love the name.

polarglen on January 30, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I love the Clydesdales. Especially when they play football.

RebeccaH on January 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Bud usually has good commercials – but that’s because they need them.
Their beer SUCKS!!!

dentarthurdent on January 30, 2014 at 1:12 PM

A real dog and pony show

NOMOBO on January 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM

My two older St. Bernards and the neighbor’s horses love to play with each other. It’s really cute how animals can seemingly create a bond with one another.

NOMOBO on January 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Hey, I love dogs. I even like nerve-wracking ton plus draft horses, but that doesn’t mean I want to drink their piss.

Gives me a headache.