Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on January 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

[A]cross the country, resistance to legal marijuana is also rising, with an increasing number of towns and counties moving to ban legal sales. The efforts, still largely local, have been fueled by the opening, or imminent opening, of retail marijuana stores here and in Colorado, as well as by recent legal opinions that have supported such bans in some states…

Though it seems strongest in more rural and conservative communities, the resistance has been surprisingly bipartisan. In states from Louisiana to Indiana that are discussing decriminalizing marijuana, Republican opponents of relaxing the drug laws are finding themselves loosely allied with Democratic skeptics. Voices in the Obama administration concerned about growing access have joined antidrug crusaders like Patrick J. Kennedy, a Democratic former United States representative from Rhode Island, who contends that the potential health risks of marijuana have not been adequately explored, especially for juveniles — and who has written and spoken widely about his own struggles with alcohol and prescription drugs.

“In some ways I think the best thing that could have happened to the anti-legalization movement was legalization, because I think it shows people the ugly side,” said Kevin A. Sabet, a former drug policy adviser to President Obama and the executive director and co-founder, with Mr. Kennedy, of Smart Approaches to Marijuana. The group, founded last year, supports removing criminal penalties for using marijuana, but opposes full legalization, and is working with local organizations around the nation to challenge legalization.

“If legalization advocates just took a little bit more time and were not so obsessed with doing this at a thousand miles per hour,” he added, “it might be better. Instead, they are helping precipitate a backlash.”

***

Colorado Springs, sometimes known as the “evangelical Vatican,” successfully banned weed commerce in Colorado. Yakima County, Washington, plans to ban marijuana businesses once legal weed goes into effect in the state. Yakima City Council member Dave Ettl told the Times, “There’s some money that’s not worth getting.” In Oregon, where recreational weed will most likely be on the ballot this year, lawmakers are debating a bill that would let municipalities ban or limit medical marijuana sales.

The backlash movement is reminiscent of the post-Prohibition era, when “dry towns” popped up to combat the legalization of alcohol. History shows that this wasn’t an effective tactic in the long term. Still, the backlash movement will make legalization more complicated than it already is. Tension exists, of course, between federal and state law. While President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder have come out and said state-by-state legalization is okay, there are still a myriad of issues that threaten to upset the process. Banks, for example, are hesitant to take money from legal weed businesses, forcing dispensaries to deal entirely in cash.

***

DEA chief Michele M. Leonhart slammed President Obama’s recent comments comparing smoking marijuana to drinking alcohol at an annual meeting of the nation’s sheriffs this week, according to two sheriffs who said her remarks drew a standing ovation.

Bristol County Sheriff Thomas M. Hodgson said he was thrilled to hear the head of the Drug Enforcement Administration take her boss to task.

“She’s frustrated for the same reasons we are,” Hodgson said. “She said she felt the administration didn’t understand the science enough to make those statements. She was particularly frustrated with the fact that, according to her, the White House participated in a softball game with a pro-legalization group. … But she said her lowest point in 33 years in the DEA was when she learned they’d flown a hemp flag over the Capitol on July 4. The sheriffs were all shocked. This is the first time in 28 years I’ve ever heard anyone in her position be this candid.”

***

But some people like Mario, a 31-year-old graduate student who works part time at a restaurant, are still turning to the black market for their weed

“I’m afraid that information could get somehow compromised,” he said about his fears of his loans being affected by being on a medical registry. “The last thing I’d want is to get my federal funding cut off.”…

“It’s human nature; nobody wants to be on a list,” said Nelson, a cheerful woman with a curly halo of light red hair and thin purple glasses. “So people have continued to foster the black market.”

***

“Some check-the-box items that should take a couple of hours take a month,” Kennedy says. Lining up payroll services or security or lawyers or even a bank can be arduous, as many of those companies fear legal ramifications. The Colorado Bar Association recently prohibited attorneys from working with marijuana-related businesses for just this reason—which means that, for now at least, pot businesses can’t hire a lawyer to draw up a contract or close a deal. And even Privateer, with its multimillion-dollar investment deals, was turned down by 16 different banks for a simple checking account…

Meanwhile, an astonishing amount of this fast-growing industry is still conducted in cash—a situation that can leave businesspeople a little jittery. “I’ve been in rooms with a million dollars,” Kennedy says. “It’s not a good feeling.” Companies have to pay for security to prevent robberies, and getting loans is a headache. “We wanted to build a farm on a piece of property where anyone with a credit score over 700 could get it,” Cooley says. “Mine is over 800, but I couldn’t get a loan. Last year, when we were jumping through hoops becoming permitted, instead of a line of credit, we stopped taking salary.”…

And then there are all the requirements from the Justice Department, which, as a condition for allowing the businesses to operate without FBI raids, has mandated a long and complex set of regulations that the new businesses are struggling to meet. Washington’s marijuana-legalization initiative, for example, includes a provision that bans retail stores within 1,000 feet of a park, church or school. “In some parts of our state, it’s tough to get 1,000 feet away from anything!” Heck says.

***

“It’s a tough issue. We talk about the comparison to alcohol, and obviously alcohol is legal and I’m hardly a prohibitionist, but it does a lot of damage,” [Chuck] Schumer said. “The view I have, and I’m a little cautious on this, is let’s see how the state experiments work.”…

“I’d be a little cautious here at the federal level, and see the laboratories of the states, see their outcomes before we make a decision,” he said.

Todd then asked the senator if he believes states should be allowed to legalize marijuana without federal intervention.

“Yes,” Schumer said. “I think having the states experiment is a good idea.”

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I emailed her a few weeks ago.
Nothin’.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 28, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Plop

SparkPlug on January 28, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Calling it a night gang! Take care!

KCB on January 28, 2014 at 1:40 AM

novaculus on January 28, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Sorry for your loss..thoughts and prayers..

Dire Straits on January 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM

This is beautiful… :)

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM

KCB on January 28, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Good Night Ken and God Bless!!

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Dear phone apps people. Will you please quit sucking up all my power with your updates every 10 minutes.

SparkPlug on January 28, 2014 at 1:43 AM

novaculus on January 28, 2014 at 1:31 AM

*hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 28, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:35 AM

I have not posted the sad news before. I did post that she was gravely ill back in December.

I checked Flora Duh’s Twitter feed and see she is back there. Not posting a lot, like she used to do, which is probably why I didn’t see any of her tweets.

novaculus on January 28, 2014 at 1:44 AM

Where the H is B9?

SparkPlug on January 28, 2014 at 1:45 AM

listens2glenn on January 28, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Lol, she didn’t?

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Well, that’s what Del Gue (with an “E”) told Jeremiah Johnson.

They wouldn’t include dialog in a movie, if it wasn’t true, … would they ?

listens2glenn on January 28, 2014 at 1:46 AM

SparkPlug on January 28, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Does that make the phone smart or what? :)

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:47 AM

SparkPlug on January 28, 2014 at 1:45 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmm, exactly, Hi Sparky :)

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:48 AM

listens2glenn on January 28, 2014 at 1:46 AM

I have no earthly Idea!

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:48 AM

Someone who puts her faith before her personal success …

Amy Grant – That’s What Love Is For (Official Music Video)

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 1:48 AM

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I’ll try, but I’m not expecting a response. I hope she has just gone Galt.

novaculus on January 28, 2014 at 1:49 AM

novaculus on January 28, 2014 at 1:44 AM

I did miss that ):

Not here as much as I used to be…

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:50 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 28, 2014 at 1:40 AM

I know you did, ALT. It would just ease a lot of people’s minds if she was heard from somehow.

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Oh doesn’t time go fast sometimes…

I bid thee all a sweet goodnight!

Gods’ Blessings on all :)

* swoosh *

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:52 AM

the editors at The Times Picayune are obviously fantasizing, too.

Thanx for the link, Murph’.

listens2glenn on January 28, 2014 at 1:38 AM

…..known locally as: “The Times To Pick Your Nose“……

williamg on January 28, 2014 at 1:53 AM

novaculus on January 28, 2014 at 1:44 AM

There is something wonky going on there. I KNOW I checked her full profile in November … adn the most recent tweet was from January 2013.

I went tonight … and I am seeing tons of tweets going back into October 2013 …

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 1:55 AM

* swoosh *

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Good night, Scrumpy!

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 1:56 AM

This is beautiful… :)

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM

WOW ! . . . . . . . . . . . . . you were right.

I’d never heard of “Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir” before.

That’s something else. Thanx for sharing that !

listens2glenn on January 28, 2014 at 1:59 AM

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 1:55 AM

I was surprised to see those posts going back months. Very surprised I didn’t see any of them in my feed. I know I’ve checked her profile several times, but it’s quite possible that I haven’t since before October. My sense of time passing is pretty sketchy in the first place, and I’ve been preoccupied lately.

novaculus on January 28, 2014 at 2:00 AM

And I follow this young lady on Twitter because she has a very quirky sense of humor – especially with regard to herself.

The movie this came from is pretty weak EXCEPT for when they are singing.

Trivia note: The song she is singing became a THING with young women age 13 – 22 after the movie came out with one woman principal wondering if it was a “discipline problem” until she heard the singing part.

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 1:23 AM

…..sometimes women are just such Angels from God……..they make your heart feel like its floating on aether…..

williamg on January 28, 2014 at 2:01 AM

Scrumpy on January 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM

A m a z i n g

I have to share that with my daughter!

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 2:06 AM

williamg on January 28, 2014 at 2:01 AM

I think someone on here once posted they “didn’t believe in love”.

So very sad.

There have been three in my life who lifted my soul up and set me back on the path when I was lost.

Anytime I am tempted by the darkness, I remember them and what I owe them – to pass on what they taught me and stay true to the light.

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 2:14 AM

r keller on January 28, 2014 at 2:10 AM

Didn’t agree with a lot of his politics but he was one of the first concerts I ever went to.

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 2:15 AM

Blue Yodel No. 6

novaculus on January 28, 2014 at 2:15 AM

r keller on January 28, 2014 at 2:10 AM

Really?
I didn’t realize that the commie b*st*rd was still alive.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 28, 2014 at 2:16 AM

I didn’t realize that the commie b*st*rd was still alive.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 28, 2014 at 2:16 AM

We can always count on you for a very direct sentiment. ;)

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 2:19 AM

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 2:19 AM

ALT is right. I’m old enough to regret the news, but not too old to forget the guy was a leftist tool, no matter how fine a musician.

novaculus on January 28, 2014 at 2:26 AM

williamg on January 28, 2014 at 2:01 AM

I think someone on here once posted they “didn’t believe in love”.

So very sad.

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 2:14 AM

….yeah – I saw Pete and Arlo, too……little sad to hear of his passing…..kinda funny to read ALT’s classic retort……Pete made some great music, though……and, as far as Women (or “Wimmin”) – I don’t consider Tom Petty to be one of the “Poets of Our Age”…. but he kind of gets it right with simplicity, here……

williamg on January 28, 2014 at 2:28 AM

Got to go!

Goodnight ALT, novaculus, wg, r keller and anyone else still lurking!

PolAgnostic on January 28, 2014 at 2:47 AM

It’s Nine Below Zero here in Flyover Country.

Really. It’s nine below.

novaculus on January 28, 2014 at 3:05 AM

You mean like the flags that flew over the Capitol when great men founded this nation?

Yeah. I can understand why you might be upset…

JohnGalt23 on January 28, 2014 at 3:08 AM

If the Dems don’t get the youth high, how will they convince them to buy into ObamaCare?

PackerBronco on January 28, 2014 at 3:12 AM

PackerBronco on January 28, 2014 at 3:12 AM

The ruling class in America!

‘You’ve got to be joking’: Michelle Obama asks for $10 donations to ‘help protect’ Obamacare; Guffaws ensue

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 3:40 AM

Brian Blade – Mercy Angel

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 3:47 AM

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 3:40 AM

Sorry Dude – spent it on pot…

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 3:51 AM

The Louvin Brothers – “Wreck on the Highway”

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 3:58 AM

I am well, but grieving. My mom passed on the 29th.

I want to thank all of you who kept us in your thoughts and prayers.

I’ve spent the last few years focused on caring for her. Now I am at loose ends. The only family is my nephew and his wife and kids. My nephew is like a son to me, but they live in Washington State, thousands of miles away.

Does anyone know what happened to Flora Duh?

Also concerned about Sophie. She didn’t unfollow me on Twitter, and still follows 800+, but hasn’t posted since she disappeared.

novaculus on January 28, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Sorry about your loss, novaculus, but I’m glad to hear you’re doing well despite it.

John McLaughlin – “Friendship” (live 1978)

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 4:05 AM

BONG!

KOOLAID2 on January 27, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Murphy[9]‘s Law – “Bong”

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 4:16 AM

Sorry Dude – spent it on pot…

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 3:51 AM

Weed – “Weed”

Between the release of Uriah Heep’s albums “Salisbury” and “Look At Yourself”, in 1971, Ken Hensley went to Germany to record an album for a project simply called “Weed”. This “concept” album related to an infamous rock’n’roll habit!

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 4:23 AM

Morning HA…..if you have Netflix I recommend watching Mitt…
It was very good

Pot? I’m just not into you….

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 5:23 AM

Lsm talking points when the president has a D next to their name they are not held responsiblebfor the economy…. if they have an R next to their name they own the economy lock stock and barrel

They cannot admit the failures of dear leaders policies..
And they are happy he’s going unilateral…..
Its all the gop fault

Arrrgghh

Will not be listening to him tonight…..just wait to read y’all comments..

I know we have wolfie and tingles with their standard post sotu comments..

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 5:28 AM

Got a charge for $9.84 on your credit card? Beware

The bottom line for credit card customers is a simple one: If you spot a charge for $9.84 on your credit card statement, call the card issuer. It’s likely that your card or card number is in the hands of a crook. You need a new card and to place a fraud alert on your credit file.

The Better Business Bureau issued a fraud alert last week about a raft of consumer complaints all reporting the same niggling charge. The business levying this fee may purport to provide “customer support,” or it may simply identify itself as any one of a number of different websites.

The fraud, uncovered by a former Washington Post reporter who writes an investigative blog called KrebsOnSecurity, apparently relies on consumer carelessness. Where an unfamiliar charge for a large amount would be spotted by most consumers, little charges can go unnoticed.

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 5:37 AM

Brace for the UnGreatful Impact,…Karzi has jumped
the Shark, er, Camel:
=====================

War in Afghanistan

Afghanistan
3h
==
Afghan officials: President Karzai suspects US is behind insurgent-style attacks – @washingtonpost
read more on washingtonpost.com
================================

Karzai suspects U.S. is behind insurgent-style attacks,
Afghan officials say
********************

By Kevin Sieff, Published: January 27
**************************************

KABUL — President Hamid Karzai has frequently lashed out at the U.S. military for causing civilian casualties in its raids.

But behind the scenes,

he has been building a far broader case against the Americans,

suggesting that they may have aided or conducted shadowy insurgent-style attacks

to undermine his government, according to senior Afghan officials.

Karzai has formalized his suspicions with a list of dozens of attacks that he believes the U.S. government may have been involved in,

according to one palace official. The list even includes the recent bomb and gun assault on a Lebanese restaurant in Kabul, one of the bloodiest acts targeting the international community in Afghanistan, the official said. The attack, which left 21 people dead, including three Americans, was almost universally attributed to the Taliban.

But Karzai believes it was one of many incidents that may have been planned by Americans to weaken him and foment instability in Afghanistan, according to the senior palace official, who is sympathetic to the president’s view and spoke on the condition of anonymity. He acknowledged that his government had no concrete evidence of U.S. involvement and that the American role had not been formally confirmed.
U.S. officials, who have been informed of some of the claims, have reacted with incredulity and anger to the idea that they are trying to debilitate Afghanistan’s government, which they have supported with hundreds of billions of dollars.
(More……)
=============

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 5:42 AM

The SOTUA “Anxiety” Polling Sumpins:

US State of the Union address 2014

23m
===
New WSJ/NBC News poll finds Americans anxious over future, President Obama’s performance – @NBCNews
read more on nbcnews.com
==========================

hours
ago
===

NBC News poll: Pessimism defines the state of the union
*******************************************************

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 5:45 AM

Morning HA…..if you have Netflix I recommend watching Mitt…
It was very good

Pot? I’m just not into you….

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 5:23 AM

cmsinaz: Good SOTUA Morning:)

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 5:47 AM

“Reefer Madness” trailer

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 5:53 AM

MSLSD Online Streaming:

===================================================

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 5:54 AM

Ugh,….Rob Ford, of Toronto, should resign, and begone:)

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 5:55 AM

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 5:47 AM

morning Canopfor

mj crew celebrating the life of a folk singer who was a communist with a small c….ummm ok

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:04 AM

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 5:42 AM

cuckoo

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:06 AM

President to Hike Minimum Wage for Federal Contractors
The move asserts President Obama’s executive powers before his State of the Union speech

President Barack Obama plans to act unilaterally to raise the minimum wage for employees of federal contractors, a move that asserts his executive powers before his State of the Union address in which he will press Congress to approve a broader increase this year.

The executive order would raise the minimum wage for workers on new federal contracts to $10.10 an hour, according to a fact sheet from a White House official. It said Mr. Obama would announce the new policy in his speech Tuesday, which is scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. Eastern Time.

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:08 AM

The King Strikes.(sarc)
======================

US State of the Union address 2014
1m
====
President Obama to issue executive order raising minimum wage to $10.10 an hour for federal contract workers with new contracts – @Reuters
end of bulletin

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:08 AM

don’t blame the bad poll numbers just on the president…this transcends across party lines and years
-joe

defending obama to the bitter end

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:10 AM

KIEV Image:

Vitalii Sediuk ‏@VitaliiSediuk 4m

Now on #Gryshevskogo #Euromaidan #Євромайдан pic.twitter.com/IhLp5wslqB
Retweeted by Christopher Miller
================================

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:11 AM

folks are tuning him out…
-mj crew

yeah, we are

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:12 AM

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:08 AM

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:08 AM

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:12 AM

folks are tuning him out…
-mj crew

yeah, we are

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:12 AM

That’s what he’s counting on?

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:14 AM

It’ll take you as high as the heavens
It’ll take you to the depths of Hell
It’ll make you friends, it’ll take your friends
Who will never live to tell

Drug Train, drug train
Drug train, Drug train

Well the train’s first stop is pleasure
The second stop is fun
But in a jail cell, baby or a hospital bed
You’ll need hope ’cause you ain’t got none

Well the train passes through the graveyard
May your loved ones rest in peace
For the last stop, baby is a violent crash
And the hard times, they never cease

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:14 AM

lol
i meant obama…they are worried that folks are tuning the president out…

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM

breaking news from mika-Obama just signed an EO to raise the minimum wage from $7.25 to $10/hr for federal contractors…

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters 5m

Obama to lay out go-it-alone approach in big speech http://reut.rs/MoRxnR
==========

Obama to lay out go-it-alone approach in big speech

By Steve Holland
WASHINGTON Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:05am EST
***************************************

(Reuters) – President Barack Obama will lay out a strategy for getting around a divided Congress and boosting middle-class prosperity on Tuesday in a State of the Union speech that reflects some scaled-back legislative ambitions after a difficult year.

Obama will make clear in his 9 p.m. address that he is willing to bypass U.S. lawmakers and go it alone in some areas by announcing a series of executive actions that do not require congressional approval.

The White House said Obama would announce he is issuing an executive order to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour for federal contract workers with new contracts.

In his address,

Obama will also call on Congress to pass a bill

that would increase the federal minimum wage

for all workers

to $10.10 an hour from $7.25 and index that to inflation going forward.

(More…)
=========

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:22 AM

oh goody, mika’s bff valerie is going to be on to promote sotu…

think i’ll pass on that…

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:27 AM

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:22 AM

the magical pen begins…

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:30 AM

i meant obama…they are worried that folks are tuning the president out…

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM

I think Obama may want us to tune him out…so he cab get on with signing his EO’s in secret.

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:35 AM

George Jones – “He Stopped Loving HerReggie Today”

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 6:31 AM

That’s why he’s taking Jason Collins to the party tonite…

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:39 AM

MJoe:

Tweets All / No replies

Monica B. Anderson ‏@RandallstownMom 1m

@Morning_Joe this is awesome! #FoundingMothers
Retweeted by Morning Joe
View conversation
Retweet
Favorite
WSJ Washington Wire ‏@WSJwashington 18m

President Obama plans to act unilaterally to hike minimum wage for federal contractors http://on.wsj.com/1coXPNK via @carol_e_lee @EricMorath
Retweeted by Morning Joe
View summary
Retweet
Favorite
Morning Joe ‏@Morning_Joe 14m

You can read an excerpt from Cokie Roberts’ new children’s book “Founding Mothers”: http://on.msnbc.com/MoTQqX #morningjoe
View summary
Retweet
Favorite
Morning Joe ‏@Morning_Joe 19m

NBC/WSJ: 22% of Americans hold a positive view of Gov. Christie. How can Christie win supporters back? #morningjoe
Retweet
Favorite
Morning Joe ‏@Morning_Joe 20m

“The Republican Party is never going to nominate Chris Christie,” Cokie Roberts. #morningjoe
Retweet
Favorite
Morning Joe ‏@Morning_Joe 25m

NBC/WSJ: Nation holds unsettled view on the State of the Union #morningjoe pic.twitter.com/K8W6e1nVuS

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:43 AM

State of the Union 2014: How far will Obama go?

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/state-of-the-union-2014-issues-preview-obama-102692_Page2.html#ixzz2rh0q8YoI

-The West Wing insists Obama is ready to use his unilateral authority to an extent that hasn’t been seen in the past, perhaps on infrastructure, the minimum wage, climate change and education.

-Immigration reform advocates say White House officials have told them Obama won’t threaten to take unilateral action to cut back detentions and deportation — at least not yet.

- Ask progressives what they want to hear from the president, and one initiative, in particular, gets mentioned more than others: an executive order raising the minimum wage for government contractors.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/state-of-the-union-2014-issues-preview-obama-102692.html#ixzz2rh0KGH8B

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:45 AM

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:35 AM

yepper

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:45 AM

he’s heading out on another 4 stop campaign to promote his pen and phone….

blech

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:47 AM

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:22 AM

the magical pen begins…

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:30 AM

cmsinaz: Yeppers,…King Pen,….I hope someone hacks into Hopeys TOTUS,
and make it go silent:)
(sarc)

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:47 AM

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:47 AM

lol

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:48 AM

That’s why he’s taking Jason Collins to the party tonite…

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:39 AM

lol

This is even better:

Rep. Jim Bridenstine to host father of slain Benghazi SEAL at State of the Union address

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Good Mornin, Patriots! And, Trolls.

After 5 years of Obama, I would say that we all have “skin in the game”. In fact, we’ve been economically and culturally filleted.

– kingsjester

My take: A State of the Union Address You Will Not Hear Tonight [A KJ Political Parody]

kingsjester on January 28, 2014 at 6:49 AM

This is even better:

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Odds on any of the networks showing him?

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:50 AM

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 5:42 AM

cuckoo

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:06 AM

cmsinaz: He’s “Certifiable”,

hey, I notice the MJ Crew aren’t as giddy picking on the GOP,
from the other day,and are subdued, awaiting to see if Hopey Boinks Up!!

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:51 AM

-joe

defending obama to the bitter end

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 6:10 AM

cmsinaz: I’ll try this descriptor thingy!

Devoid of Reality

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Odds on any of the networks showing him?

kcewa on January 28, 2014 at 6:50 AM

About the same as them admitting that the Preezy doesn’t know WTF he is doing?

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 6:56 AM

I guess canopfor must be rooting for the Seahawks in the ChoomBowl…

‘Sorry, Denver’: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has a Super Bowl favorite

“Sorry, Denver Broncos: Rob Ford held a press conference wearing your jersey. pic.twitter.com/RZTebZdIxp (That’s usually the kiss of death.)”

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Anti-Control:Thank gawd, that Toronto is about 500 miles away,
they can keep that Integrity Challenged Baffoon:)

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Well,..look who’s p*ssed off:

Trial of Egypt’s President Morsi
4m
===

Video: While in glass-encased metal cage, Egypt’s toppled President Mohammed Morsi yells at court: ‘Tell me who you are! Do you know who I am?’ – @CBCExtra on YouTube
============================

#غرفة_الأخبار | شاهد.. #مرسي يصرخ في وجه القاضي “انت مين ياعم ”
Published on Jan 28, 2014
*****************************

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Anti-Control:Thank gawd, that Toronto is about 500 miles away,
they can keep that Integrity Challenged Baffoon:)

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:59 AM

lol

I still prefer him to our Preezy, though! :)

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Good point Canopfor

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Persia URainians Poll:

Tweets All / No replies

AP Politics ‏@AP_Politics 5m

AP-GfK poll: Americans support Iran nuclear deal but remain skeptical, @larajakesAP and @jennagiesta report. http://apne.ws/1i6A8uT
==============================================================

AP-GfK poll: Skeptics eye nuclear deal with Iran
By LARA JAKES and JENNIFER AGIESTA
— Jan. 28, 2014 3:28 AM EST
****************************

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Good point Canopfor

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 7:07 AM

cmsinaz:

I think the MJ Crew is worried!!!

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 7:17 AM

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 6:59 AM

lol

I still prefer him to our Preezy, though! :)

Anti-Control on January 28, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Anti-Control: Well, at least he gets the job done,
and ahem,..in a tuned fashion no less!:)

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 7:19 AM

What is interesting with weed is that there is no ‘middle ground’.

A State could still outlaw the outright sale of it, but decriminalize position, use and growth, and exempt barter. No exportation of finished weed, save for medical research via documented channels, but not seeds.

This ends the no-knock raids on orchid growers and other individuals practicing home horticulture and encourages home hobbyist growing. If you really want your weed, you can grow it on your lonesome or trade goods for it that you already own for it.

Put in penalties for driving while under the influence. Add ‘clean and sober’ provisions to every State government contract and encourage businesses to do the same for their workplaces.

If what is truly desired is ‘recreational use’ then that is a HOBBY not an INDUSTRY. Treat it like one. By encouraging home growing people get definite skills on cultivation and the profit motive is removed from the entire affair… add harsh confiscatory penalties to anyone caught SELLING the stuff, but trading it for non-cash items is acceptable. Hobbyists get to try new varieties and share it in growing clubs.

Would that be on a ‘slippery slope’ to full legalization? Perhaps, yes. It might also afford a real plateau with a minor slope to it in which the effects can be demonstrated over a period of years and those who want to practice a narrow form of horticulture are given an outlet for it. If those seeking ‘recreational use’ are HONEST then this satisfies all their requirements and still punishes outright sale on the black market.

The cons are the use of the material, itself, which can be addressed as to its effects by law. Any unknown long-term use effects will show up: that is the problem with this stuff, and the lack of longitudinal studies is hampered by the current system but enabled by this system. It requires some form of testing for those operating a public conveyance: the public can put that overhead in place to assure traffic safety and penalties should be stiff and immediate, not a system of ‘points’ but a removal of privilege to drive on the public roads or fly in public airspace or use public waterways as a navigator or pilot or captain. Unlike alcohol, this newly decriminalized drug deserves scrutiny, testing, and long-term studies to see what its effects are as prior ones with casual users do not represent a scientific basis for understanding its effects. Safety labels can be mandated for bartered goods with those that are not home hobbyists, and home hobbyists are expected to keep track of their barter products and check to make sure they are not stolen. There is a high overhead when the ‘recreational use’ goes beyond YOU and YOU are accountable to those effects of such barter with non-growers just like bartenders are, save that what you barter can be used privately so you might want to keep it to small amounts. Such are the problems of advocating ‘recreational use’.

The pros are opening up a hobby for those interested in it, putting a relatively high overhead to personal use to it, and shifting those wishing to get the stuff out of money transfers and into goods and services. And, yes, those receiving goods would have to verify that they are not stolen, just as pawn shops must do, which means a 30 day waiting period before any items can be liquidated. Police enforcement can be targeted on sales, not individual users, and police can then target those illegally selling the good which concentrates precious and scarce resources to actual criminal activity..

Put the onus on the users to demonstrate that they really and for true want recreational use ONLY and give a viable means to get recreational amounts via cottage industry. Land use provisions at the State or County level to limit dedicated crop land per person growing to something within the realm of personal use, and I’m thinking square feet, not acres here.

This sort of thing requires honest commitment from the ‘recreational use’ crowd and those not trusting the use of it to put a high overhead on its use along with penalties for its abuse, and to remove the direct sale profit motive from it. Organized crime would remain a target as it would concentrate on black market sales for high revenue. The small time grower and local clubs would get the ability to quell fears about wanting everyone high by showing responsible maintenance of self and records of trade transactions. And if this is all that the ‘recreational use’ agenda IS then it would satisfy it totally while putting a necessary burden on those growing and using the stuff to demonstrate that they are adults in its use.

It will never fly, of course, because it decriminalizes use and doesn’t put in a high profit niche: that will PO both sides of the argument. And as both sides are so staunch, they will not seek to see if there is any middle ground where adults can play but are thoroughly accountable for that play. That would be a trust building mechanism, and you can’t have that in today’s America.

ajacksonian on January 28, 2014 at 7:21 AM

Earnings:

chemicals
1m
US chemical company DuPont reports earnings of $185 million for the 3 months ending Dec. 31 – @AP
read more on abcnews.go.com
===========================

auto industry
9m
Ford’s profit rose about 26% in 2013 to $7.2 billion – @detroitnews
read more on detroitnews.com

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 7:21 AM

Morsi MBHIslamicJihadyGoon UpDate:

Egyptian civil unrest
1m
====
Report: Security officials diffuse bomb in front of high court in Egypt, arrest 17, state TV reports – @NBCNews
end of bulletin
=================

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Morning Joe ‏@Morning_Joe 1h

============================

canopfor on January 28, 2014 at 7:27 AM

And they should be Canopfor

But the rest of the msdnc hacks will continue wearing their rose colored glasses

cmsinaz on January 28, 2014 at 7:31 AM