Boehner: You know who’d make a good President? Jeb Bush

posted at 10:01 am on January 24, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

The RINOpocalypse is upon us. Actually, John Boehner’s appearance on one of the last remaining Tonight Show with Jay Leno entries was a relaxed and light-hearted affair, but anyone who is either (a) suspicious of Boehner’s commitment to conservatism and (b) tired of Bushes and Clintons dominating the 2016 contest talk will have good reason to gripe about Boehner’s take:

The 12-term congressman said he has no aspirations to move to another Washington residence: The White House.

“Listen, I like to play golf. I like to cut my own grass. You know, I do drink red wine. I smoke cigarettes, and I’m not giving that up to be president of the United States,” Boehner joked, a reference to President Barack Obama, who has spoken publicly about his work to quit smoking as he aimed for the nation’s highest office.

As for other Republican candidates for president in 2016, Boehner said he wasn’t picking one to support, but did name one would-be candidate whom he liked.

“Well, listen, I’m not endorsing anybody, but [former Florida Gov.] Jeb Bush is my friend, and I frankly think he’d make a great president,” Boehner said.

Actually, it wasn’t all lighthearted. The Daily Beast’s Lloyd Grove thinks that Boehner may have been a little too relaxed, so to speak, until it came to Vladimir Putin:

It’s not implausible that red wine and cigarettes figured in the 64-year-old Boehner’s Tonight Show preparation; he was looking far too relaxed for his somber dark suit and crisp white shirt, though maybe that hot pink-patterned tie was a tipoff. Swinging eagerly at Leno’s curve balls and apparently hoping for the best, he was at once appealingly human and thrillingly dangerous.

“No!” he snapped when Jay asked if he’d ever met Putin, the czar of the Sochi Olympics and the leader of 144 million Russians. “And I don’t want to meet him. I think he’s a thug, and I think he’s treated his neighbors in a disrespectful way and, frankly, I think the president ought to stand up to him.”

That got applause from the Cold Warriors in the audience at NBC’s Burbank studios.

Excuse me, but I don’t need a glass of red wine to offer those rather obvious conclusions in public, and I doubt John Boehner does, either.

As for his quasi-endorsement of Jeb Bush, it’s an odd statement, considering that even his mother doesn’t want him to run — for the same reason I don’t. This country of 330 million should be able to find a couple of acceptable candidates with last names other than Bush or Clinton, or Kennedy too, for that matter. Jeb made a fine governor, but we have plenty of fine governors who can represent the GOP, with names like Walker, Jindal, Perry, Pence, and so on. We don’t do dynasties or hereditary privilege in America. Two Bushes and one Clinton in a single generation is enough.

The quote from Boehner that will get the most notice, though, will be how he sees his leadership options in the House. As someone who has had to herd cats for a living (ie, managing a few dozen people), I get his point — but the Nazi reference was probably ill-considered anyway: “They don’t realize I’ve got a lot of other roles that I play. You know, some members, I have to be the big brother figure. Some I have to be the father figure. Others I have to be the dean of students or the principal. Some of them I have to be the Gestapo.”

Given how he’s seen by the Tea Party and grassroots conservatives, he’d be better off just not going there.

Update: Karl’s point is well taken:

Comments

Wow, great interview by this guy…

let’s see, he blames Republicans for the Shutdown,
and touts Jeb Bush….

You’re oooo for two Johnny!!!

Do we have a Kickazz Party or what!??

ToddPA on January 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM

There are just no words.

Rational Thought on January 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I remember in 2010 following Michelle Malkin’s live feed the night he became Speaker. You could just see her jaw hit the floor through her written words during his speech. You can probably smell the booze through the toothpaste a mile away.

Marcus on January 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Yeeeeaaaahhhh, about that….

Bishop on January 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM

The same way you stood up to the president?

Putz.

Bitter Clinger on January 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Dude’s wasted. This explains a lot.

WhatSlushfund on January 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Boehner: You know who’d make a good President? Jeb Bush

You mean the guy who used to be conservative?

Bitter Clinger on January 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Boehner: You know who’d make a good President? Jeb Bush

Okay, that’s it for me. Somebody would have to talk me off a ledge if I don’t self-impose a blackout on paying attention to the news this weekend. What with VA Democrats run amok, the partisan case against the McDonnells. The pre-SOTU hype. And whatever dumbass thing Christie decides to say/do……….

See you all next week.

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Gestapo was shorthand for “secret state police.” Fitting for the Shamnesty Demlite House leader.

I sure hope we get a conservative bloc in the Congress this time. It’s been a while since I’ve had a real representative.

Wino on January 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Johnny and Jeb sittin’ a tree…

Just go the eff away you two.

SteveInRTP on January 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

You know who makes a terrible Speaker of the House? John Boehner.

Ukiah on January 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM

He’s been assimilated. In his mind it probably seems like a breakthrough and a sense of clarity…”Why did I ever oppose this evolution to “The Way?”..it’s easier for me now and it’ll be easier for you…stop fighting it.”

Mimzey on January 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Going off of what Karl tweeted, I wonder if it’s just a political move on his part. He knows Jeb isn’t going to run, so by invoking his name, the country will breathe a sigh of relief with whoever the Republican nominee is…because, well, at least it’s not another Bush.

As far as my thoughts on the interview itself, he came across as likable and it was good for the most part, but there were a couple of awkward moments where he forced jokes/lines that were clearly prepared (for example, the joke about his name came out of nowhere).

GOPRanknFile on January 24, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Okay, so he’s a RINO, and a Drunk…Awesome! No really! We need more men like him… No wonder the GOP is so F*&ked

JimmyGee on January 24, 2014 at 10:19 AM

His choice for POTUS is the Dauphin.

Surprise, surprise, NOT!

We could have made book on that!

It’s the corruption, STUPID!

Jayrae on January 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM

He’s on our side, right?

Fallon on January 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM

You know who’d make a good President? Jeb Bush

President of what?

Lost in Jersey on January 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM

You know who’d make a good Speaker? Louie Gohmert

petefrt on January 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Boehner: You know who’d make a good President? Jeb Bush

True, but, after Obama, a bowl of chicken salad will seem like a good president.

Deafdog on January 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Boehner could not be more tone deaf. Too many years in the bubble. Jeb Bush…..good grief.

Dongemaharu on January 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

My God, how can someone this obtuse rise so high.

celtic warrior on January 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Are conservatives still allowed to comment here..?

d1carter on January 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I think Karl’s right in that he was naming the GOP’s most GOPiest possibility, thereby not offending anyone actually running.

That doesn’t mean he wouldn’t want Jeb. I’m sure he does. I think he knows, though, after Christicreme, Jeb is a longer-shot.

budfox on January 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Are conservatives still allowed to comment here..?

d1carter on January 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM

You can but you risk a Hellfire missile delivered via drone if you do.

So be careful or you might be instantly vapori

Bishop on January 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Sorry, but Boehner and McConnell have been weak leaders in their positions.

They have very few weapons at their disposal with which to do combat. With the Senate controlled by feckless people like Harry Reid; a White House run by a principled communist bent on destroying this nation; and a lawless Attorney General dictating by executive order or refusing to enforce constitutional laws, the one weapon they do have is the power of the purse. I’d think they would curb the abuses of the IRS, EPA, and other lawless agencies doing the bidding of the liberal left by withholding their funding until they get back in line. They just don’t have the backbone to do what is necessary for this country.

Bottom line, we don’t need more of those go-along to get-along politicians running this country.

iamsaved on January 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Gohmert would make an xcellent speaker.

God Bless Texas!

workingclass artist on January 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM

We don’t do dynasties or hereditary privilege in America.

Take another toke.

Twana on January 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Boehnerrest of us: You know who’d make a good PresidentSpeaker? Jeb BushSomeone other than Boehner, maybe Stockman or Gohmert

ConservativePartyNow on January 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM

If 2016 comes down to Bush v. Clinton, it’s time to write the obituary for The United States of America.

Chris of Rights on January 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I’d prefer John McCain or Bob Dole now that Mitt said no way.

Viator on January 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Un-F**ing-believable. That is an exact copy of Obama’s image of himself.

Mimzey on January 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Proper Order:

1. Retire
2. Have someone ghost your “Memoir”
3. Go on late night TV and spout drunken nonsense

kcewa on January 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Why do we enable these control freaks with our votes? Are we not capable of understanding that slow death by RINOs is the end of life as well as fast death by their co-ruling Marxist friends? These folks are anti-freedom in their very souls.

Don L on January 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Chris of Rights on January 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Honestly, that choice probably wouldn’t even get me to the polls to vote on down ticket races. What would be the point?

Rational Thought on January 24, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Guess the RINOcracy has jettisoned Christie as their first choice and moved on to Jeb.Hope he says or does something stupid too and we can cross another “moderate” off the list.Huckabee’s flap over being misquoted about “womens’libidos” will not endear him to the establishment, who won’t push for somebody they think might be an easy mark on the whole war on women thing,and the Huckster is quickly burning bridges to conservatives so maybe we can count out another RINO there too.So far,so good.

redware on January 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM

The 12-term congressman…

Need we any other reason than this to have term limits?

sadatoni on January 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Aside from the “grass”, the only work, which obama will NOT perform, obama gave up nothing. The joke is flat and wrong.

Schadenfreude on January 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM

ahh do these guy NOT get that anyone with the last name of Bush has ZERO chance of inning anything nationaly for at lest the ten years??

falcaner on January 24, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Two Bushes and one Clinton in a single generation is enough.

No more Kennedys and obamas either.

Otherwise go back to England.

Schadenfreude on January 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Yeah, right. Boehner’s playing three-dimensional chess, but he keeps getting smoked by super-geniuses Reid and Obama.

Socratease on January 24, 2014 at 12:10 PM

And Michelle Obama!

Let’s kill the country on steroids, why don’t we!?

profitsbeard on January 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Boehner is a bleary-eyed alcoholic who has sold his soul to big business donors and now seeks to sell out the nation, the citizens, the rule of law and the value of citizenship, too.

Boehner and Ryan are spearheading a push to legalize illegal aliens to please their donor masters. In so doing, they will also be handing Obama the one thing he’s so desperate to achieve… that second term accomplishment.

Is it any wonder that Boehner seeks to to give Obama what he can’t achieve for himself? They both dance to the tune of the very same industries.

Every reasonable voice in the GOP is asking why Boehner and Ryan would push for Amnesty, which will shatter the base and destroy any chance of the GOP carrying the midterm elections. Not only does such a strategy ensure that the GOP will not win the Senate, it jeopardizes even their hold on the House.

I will not vote for any member of the political class that supports or has a hand in passage of AMNESTY of any form for illegal aliens.

EVER.

In an incredible irony, the Governor of Michigan wants the federal government to FORCE 50,000 LEGAL IMMIGRANTS to live and work in Detroit for five years to ‘revitalize’ the city. He specifically wants those with advanced degrees or exceptional abilities in science, business or the arts.

So now, politicians seek to punish LEGAL IMMIGRANTS with INDENTURED SERVITUDE while rewarding illegal aliens, who have willfully shattered federal immigration law, and every other law they’ve found inconvenient, come to this nation illegally or refused to leave when their visa expired to satisfy themselves at the expense of American citizens and legal immigrants and those 4.5 million who are waiting around the world for the opportunity to come to this nation legally.

Our system is broken, alright, and we can clearly see who has broken it.

thatsafactjack on January 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM

On obama’care’ Leno was an utter moron.

Slavery used to also be the law, moron.

Schadenfreude on January 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM

thatsafactjack on January 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Great comment.

bluegill on January 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Jeb Bush would have made a better President than his brother in 2000, and he was an excellent Governor of Florida. Jeb missed his big opportunity in 2006 by not running for the Senate in Florida against Bill Nelson–he would have been a shoo-in, and by 2016 would be midway through his second term. But he left office in 2006, and by 2016 he will have been out of politics for 10 years.

If Republicans are running against Hillary Clinton, who by 2016 will have been out of office for 4 years, shouldn’t we run a Governor who is either in office or has more recent experience?

Boehner nailed it on Vladimir Putin, who is a “thug” who, to paraphrase Reagan, needs to be verified and NOT trusted, and NOT given “flexibility” by our President. Or, as John McCain said, he looked into his soul and saw a K, a G, and a B.

Steve Z on January 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Schadenfreude on January 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Has Obama given up smoking “grass” since his Choom Gang days?

Steve Z on January 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Seeing Boner on TV, living in the Capital, all tan with the bleached teeth to cover the years of booze and tobacco reminded me of this guy.

TheAdmiral on January 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM

TheAdmiral on January 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM

IF the GOP nominates a pro-amnesty candidate I won’t vote in the general election.

IF the GOP passes any form of amnesty before the midterms or the general election I will not vote for any candidate who had a hand in the passage of that amnesty or supported the passage of any form of amnesty.

Everyone has to draw the line somewhere. For me, ObamaCare funding and Amnesty is where I draw that line.

If the GOP is going to pass the Democrats agenda it makes no difference to me who is in office, Democrats or Republicans.

thatsafactjack on January 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM

By the way, Boehner has poisoned the well. Every member of the House and the Senate has to be wondering if they’re the ‘jackass who walks in the door’ Boehner was badmouthing.

I see him getting very limited cooperation, even from those who formerly supported him.

thatsafactjack on January 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM

So what are Richard Sherman’s thoughts of Boehner using the subliminal N-word on Putin?

Butters on January 24, 2014 at 1:30 PM

The US Chamber of Commerce has become a subversive organization with lots of money…

d1carter on January 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM

NOOOOOOOOOO…….

No more BUSHes…

No more CLINTON’s…

No more MILLIONAIRES….

easyt65 on January 24, 2014 at 1:44 PM

For all the amnesty traitors of the land

Schadenfreude on January 24, 2014 at 1:50 PM

lol

Murphy9 on January 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM

You know who’d make a good ex-Speaker?

David Blue on January 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM

How his speakership survives boggles my mind.

ButterflyDragon on January 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Why is this titty baby still speaker for the GOP?

HondaV65 on January 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM

For all the amnesty traitors of the land

Schadenfreude on January 24, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Excellent presentation. This should be mandatory viewing for both chambers of the congress, for the judiciary, and for every member of the administration. This should be mandatory viewing on college and university campuses, in every church and synagogue, across the nation, and on every single military base. Every American should see this presentation.

It should be mandatory viewing at the UN, also, and by every member of the EU.

It should run, non-stop, at Davos.

thatsafactjack on January 24, 2014 at 2:41 PM

NO MORE CLINTONS or BUSHES.

TX-96 on January 24, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Hell to the No.

Theophile on January 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I guess it hasn’t crossed Boehner’s mind that he has the same leadership abilities as Obama. Having the backbone of a jellyfish and the mouth of an alligater, is not the prerecquisite of a leader, it only fits a fool.

savage24 on January 24, 2014 at 5:00 PM