Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on January 23, 2014 by Allahpundit

Texas Gov. Rick Perry signaled Thursday that he’s for the decriminalization of marijuana use — not legalization, but the softening of punishment for pot users in the border state.

“As governor, I have begun to implement policies that start us toward a decriminalization” by introducing alternative “drug courts” that provide treatment and softer penalties for minor offenses, Perry said during an international panel on drug legalization at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland…

“Legalization is no penalty at all, where as decriminalization doesn’t necessarily mean jail time (for minor possession offenses.) It means more of a fine or counseling or some sort of program where you don’t end up in jail but in a rehabilitative program,” said Lucy Nashed, a spokeswoman for Perry.

“The goal is to keep people out of jails and reduce recidivism, that kind of thing,” she said, adding that decriminalization excludes violent offenders and dealers.

***

We tolerate drinking because most adults use alcohol responsibly, and by all means let’s have a debate about cannabis given how much of the country has already legalized it under the false flag of “medical” marijuana. But an honest debate would not whitewash pot’s risks.

A growing body of medical research shows that the psychoactive substance in marijuana may cause permanent cognitive damage when used by adolescents, such as impaired memory and learning. The drug can trigger psychotic episodes, especially among vulnerable late adolescents, and the price decreases and social normalization of recreational use will increase the number of underage potheads…

Very few people are incarcerated for simple possession, which makes up about 88% of arrests. There are currently about 40,000 state and federal prisoners serving time for marijuana-related convictions, and most have violent criminal histories. Most judges must be persuaded that someone is a true danger to society to sentence prison for mere drug use.

Mr. Obama is also kidding himself if he thinks drug legalization will be a boon to the poor. His own history of drug use is well known, but most users aren’t the privileged students of the Punahou School. Like all human vices, the misery of addiction is always worse for those who lack the resources and family support of the affluent.

***

Former Rep. Patrick Kennedy says President Barack Obama is wrong about the dangers of marijuana, saying that the drug today is not like what the president smoked in his youth

“I think the president needs to speak to his NIH director in charge of drug abuse,” Kennedy said on MSNBC’s “Hardball” on Monday night. “[She] would tell the president that, in fact, today’s modern, genetically modified marijuana, so it’s much higher THC levels, far surpass the marijuana that the president acknowledges smoking when he was a young person.”…

“I mean, if the president feels alcohol is worse than tobacco, what’s he prepared to do? And I’ll tell you, the president won’t be able to do a thing,” Kennedy said. “Why? Because alcohol is too powerful an industry to change. And right now, we have a chance to stop another for-profit industry from targeting our public health.”

***

“We will end the failed war on drugs,” [Chris Christie] said, “that believes that incarceration is the cure of every ill caused by drug abuse. We will make drug treatment available to as many of our non-violent offenders as we can, and we will partner with our citizens to create a society that understands that every life has value and no life is disposable.” That is revolutionary stuff — and will be no mean feat to accomplish…

Many on the right, not least of them the editors of this magazine, have been arguing for decades that the war on drugs is a failure — National Review’s 1996 symposium on the issue was headlined “The War on Drugs Is Lost” — but despite the strength of the evidence and the moral weight of the argument, ending drug prohibition is a position that has for decades failed to gain much traction in the mainstream political debate. There has been some incremental liberalization when it comes to marijuana, but Christie’s promise is considerably more broad. Those who labor in think-tank obscurity often despair of their ideas’ ever entering general political circulation; Christie’s promise is a reminder that, though it may take years or decades, ideas matter.

Drug addiction is an unalloyed evil, a destroyer of lives and families, an invitation to unemployment, poverty, disease, and in many cases an early death. But not every evil is a matter for the police and the prisons; in the matter of drug abuse and addiction, it has taken our nation a tragically, even catastrophically, long time to begin to figure that out. Many people will dabble in drugs without ever becoming addicts, and many of those who are arrested on drug charges suffer far more from their criminal histories than they ever do from the drugs. The war on drugs has filled our prisons and contributed to the scandalous conditions therein, which should be a source of deep and abiding shame for any decent and patriotic American. There are some horrible and evil people in our prisons, but no human being deserves the treatment — from casual brutality to constant rape — meted out there.

***

The very same year, for example, that Colorado legalized marijuana, the Colorado Senate passed (without a single Republican vote) a ban on trans fats in schools. Are we to believe eating a glazed donut is more harmful than smoking a joint? California has already banned trans fats in restaurants statewide, but now is on the brink of legalizing marijuana statewide come November. Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg supported New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s effort to decriminalize marijuana in New York State, while at the same time supporting a ban on extra-large sodas. A 32-ounce Mountain Dew is bad for you, but pot isn’t?

The logic is dumbfounding. For many years, health-conscious liberals have waged a deafening, public war against cigarettes. Smoking bans in public places like restaurants and bars have been enacted in states all over the country. Recently, New York City, New Jersey and several other cities and states have extended those bans to include the newest tobacco fad—e-cigarettes. Yet, when it comes to smoking marijuana? Crickets…

Unless you’re smoking something, the logic here is pretty strong. So what explains why liberals target unhealthy foods, yet turn a blind eye to a far more harmful substance? The answer is not clear, and there may not be a good answer at all. Perhaps marijuana advocates will say that they’re merely bowing to the reality that millions of Americans enjoy it despite its deleterious health effects. But the same could be said for trans fats. Rather than speculate, we should hold liberals accountable and demand that they answer publicly: If trans fats, GMOs and other dangerous substances deserve to be banned in the name of public health, then why not marijuana as well?

***

Now that the War on Drugs seems to be winding down — and it’s about time — we’re going to hear more about the benign effects of smoking pot when compared to the hazards of consuming alcohol. This is a longstanding talking point for legalization advocates — and for many people a handy justification to sign on to the cause. For others, it’s a way to create an equivalence between one of man’s greatest innovations and what amounts to a big waste of time…

Fortunately, we don’t drink for our health, only to it – though there are a number of studies that allege moderate intake of alcohol can be beneficial (and I choose to believe every single one of them). The social value of alcohol is immeasurable, whereas the social value of pot is negligible. Alcohol, in its countless variations, flavors, and uses, has widespread prevalence in in our rituals and social lives for a good reason.

Marijuana might have analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-psychotic properties, and it may provide a fulfilling personal experience, generating euphoria or heightened sensations (also anxiety and paranoia), and chances are high nothing averse will happen if you smoke up when you’re young. But it’s doubtful you’ll ever be clinking bongs at a wedding or setting aside the Scotch to drown your sorrows with family members over a joint. That’s not only because of the stigma. Alcohol, which can be consumed, unlike pot, for the taste alone, often makes life more accessible, you more likeable, and others more bearable.

***

***

***

Via RCP.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Not Twerp!
*Tomm may be may last day @ Walmart.*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 10:44 PM

No, ANTWERP!

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Allah, tell me you gave the boot to that ditch digger when he called you a Moron.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Hi…On Obama..

Got a love Utopia….

Electrongod on January 23, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Have any of y’all seen where it is currently snowing? Brrr…..

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I would never hire a pothead.

bluegill on January 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM

No, ANTWERP!

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Might not be my call.
I got booted from working in produce this morning after a co-manager decided that Walmart couldn’t reasonably accommodate my asthma flare-ups(it’s the walk-in that’s triggering them)w/ me in produce…and there might not be another department that’s a good fit.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Who?? What happened? Details, please.

bluegill on January 23, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Have any of y’all seen where it is currently snowing? Brrr…..

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 10:48 PM

not here?

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Who is bmore talking about? Link, please.

bluegill on January 23, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Hell-everyone’s insulted AP at one time/’nother. It’s like a right of passage here. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Evening All

Alt….I can’t tell if you are happy or mad at the situation!

CoffeeLover on January 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Low snow.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Who called Allahpundit names? Where did this happen?

bluegill on January 23, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Have any of y’all seen where it is currently snowing? Brrr…..

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Been snowing in my part of East Texas for hours now–a big deal for us. Brrr is right.

jazzuscounty on January 23, 2014 at 10:58 PM

jazzuscounty on January 23, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Is it sticking?

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM

We tolerate drinking because most adults use alcohol responsibly

BwaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

how nice of you to grant me the right to drink…..silly me… I though my rights came from GOD.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on January 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM

We’ll have legal pot in all 57 states before 0bama is out of office…

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM

CoffeeLover on January 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM

When God closes one door he always opens another.
Produce is the only place I really fit. I was offered a spot today-but the AM in question is a tyrant-and the other AM in question and I have(work) history. He was AM over produce/grocery at one time-and he doesn’t like me.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM

bluegill on January 23, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Lolz! gilled one you swore to me you would never click one of my links. That ain’t gonna change.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM

The comparison of alcohol and pot is a poor way to go. Two entirely different substances.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:02 PM

O’Keefe’s org., which is investigated by Cuomo of NY, penetrated the friends of Wendy Davis’ for governor group and filmed them, during a meeting, making fun of the paraplegic Mr. Abbott. The tape is being reviewed at Fox. Tomorrow s/b more fun for the snotty little scumhag.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I don’t see how it can possibly be a Conservative position to legalize pot.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Yes. I know. We ARE on FB you know.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Feed it breadballs!!

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Bmore must be writing about lostmotherland.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM

I don’t see how it can possibly be a Conservative position to legalize pot.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM

My brother’s a dopehead. He’s a brilliant mope.
I’m VERY much against legalization.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Bmore must be writing about lostmotherland.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM

It went all whoopsie coocoo yesterday, didn’t it.

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM

That girl is pretty hot. :-)

Punchenko on January 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Yes. I have swept off my porch and steps several times. I guess if you are from up North, you may think that is rather dumb, but we are not used to the stuff down here. I didn’t want to bust my behind going out the door to take care of business.

jazzuscounty on January 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Schadenfreude, care to share your view of legalizing pot?

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:07 PM

jazzuscounty on January 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Lolz! No I am quite Southern I assure you. ; )

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Todays weather :

I’m starting to root for global warming.

MichaelGabriel on January 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM

jazzuscounty on January 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Lolz! No I am quite Southern I assure you. ; )

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Let us see your papers! ;-)

Punchenko on January 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Molen added: “When American citizens begin to suspect that people are being arrested for alleged minor violations because of their vocal dissent against their elected representatives or rulers, it breeds disrespect and contempt for the law and suspicion of those officials. … If this unfortunate action against Dinesh is intended to deter the release of his upcoming film, America, that effort will fail.”

Obama has to be stopped..he’s freaking out of control

sadsushi on January 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I didn’t know where you were sending me. I didn’t want someone to capture my IP address or something. I am very cautious about links I click on when people are knowing that I am clicking on them.

When I hear, “you should click here. Just do it. Everything will be fine. Just click. Go ahead and click.” I get cautious.

bluegill on January 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I am not saying you would ever do such a thing, but that was around the time I was being attacked nonstop.

bluegill on January 23, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Millions of Dead Cops – Slow, stupid & hungry

WhatSlushfund on January 23, 2014 at 11:13 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 11:05 PM

So far
, the judges have this scored as:

Twerp: 4
Lanceman: 0

& Bmore: ????

AP ban someone for calling HIM names???

No snow tonight and while i am for public safety – when it’s been below 10 degrees for the last 60 hours do we really need “Wind Chill Advisories” every 6 hours???

BTW, Twerp – any chance for a different STORE?

PolAgnostic on January 23, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Believe it

Or not, actually.

Ben Hur on January 23, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Ha, small world!

jazzuscounty on January 23, 2014 at 11:14 PM

PolAgnostic on January 23, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Shutcher yap or I will have B.More feed you breadballs!

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Um…uh…Whoa

kcewa on January 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Why the f*ck can’t conservatives distinguish between eliminating unhealthy foods from secondary schools and the penalties that come with a class A misdemeanor? They are *fundamentally different.* You all be clown yourself with this crap.

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM

PolAgnostic on January 23, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Nope. I’m already at the best store.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM “When God closes one door he always opens another.”

My Mom used to say that all the time. I hope your door opens quickly and I’m with Pol A…..transfer to another store?

CoffeeLover on January 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM

You all be clown yourself with this crap.

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Yeah, we’re a wacky bunch.

But, nice to see you on QOTD.

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:18 PM

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM

“beclown” is one word

kcewa on January 23, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I think…

kcewa on January 23, 2014 at 11:19 PM

First thought when I saw that the QOTD was on weed: Chris Christie got busted with a dime bag…

PointnClick on January 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM

jazzuscounty on January 23, 2014 at 11:14 PM

And very freaking cold. Man o Man I can’t stand this nonsense. How do our Northern friends put up with it? Which reminds me. I have a stupid question to ask our male friends up North. Many of us have seen those youtube vids of folks up there throwing hot water into the air and having it turn to powder instantly. Okay. now for my stupid adolescent question. If you were to pee in cold like that would it do the same thing? Turn to powder that is. I know its a stupid question as I have previously stated, but I have never been in cold like that. 0 was the coldest for me. So?

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I think…

kcewa on January 23, 2014 at 11:19 PM

It is, and a typo this late is OK.

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Video from Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. Some powerful testimony from people who have fought the war on drugs for decades.

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM

CoffeeLover on January 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM
My store is the area’s best. There is no transfer-because my asthma problem is very real.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Get some Primatene mist and quit smokin’.

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM

FLINK!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Get some Primatene mist and quit smokin’.

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 11:21 PM

So sorry ALT. Any idea what direction you WANT to go in since you will be leaving the world of produce. Dang I wished you lived near me…I so stink at picking good fruits.

CoffeeLover on January 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Retired police captain in one of the most persuasive speeches against the war on drugs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8yYJ_oV6xk

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM

LOL! You’re just desperate on this issue. Smoke another one and stop nagging.

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Let me get this pro-legalization argument right:

1. When pot is legalized violent criminals will stop being violent criminals? The cartels will open McDonald’s franchises perhaps? Gang members will polish their resumes?

2. Our Federal prisons are full of solid, mentally sound African American citizens whose only problem is a partiality for pot over booze? (this one is from our President)

3. Legalizing a drug will in no way increase it’s use among people under 18? It’s laughable to even think that might happen?

Is that about it?

kcewa on January 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM

LOL

(waving)

CoffeeLover on January 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Jesus Christ, libdie, we don’t actually discuss QOTD here!

Kick off your shoes, put your feet up on the desk, spark up a doob and all will be well.

I’m drinking a room temperature Beck’s Dark myself.

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Schadenfreude, care to share your view of legalizing pot?

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:07 PM

I don’t consume any mind-altering substances. NO one, or nothing, will ever control my mind, so long as I’m still healthy. After that, I don’t wish to live.

From a libertarian standpoint, for others, would liblikeaslave not be such a hypocritical azzhole, I’d say “consume all you want, but stay home; hopefully we’ll never have to put up with you again”.

Knowing how it went in Europe, having seen lots of them trashed beyond disgust, there, here and everywhere, in Asia in specific, it’s horrific for the kids and for the land, but I no longer care.

Just don’t lecture from the left or I’ll stuff all the fatty foods into your stupid mouths, then power-spray Coke into you until you split. Then cigarettes down your throat, for dessert, while watching you with guns.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Wait. You don’t drink at all?

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I think it might think this is where all the HA heads hang at night. Just ignore it, maybe it will get its sorry ass down to Morehouse and straighten those fine folks out. If it persists play this for it.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Obama’s White House Drug Experts Contradict His Marijuana Remarks

Marijuana Myths & Facts: The Truth Behind 10 Popular Misconceptions”.

Myth #10 is “The government sends otherwise innocent people to prison for casual marijuana use.”

In fact, less than 1% of all drug incarcerations are for simple possession or use of marijuana. And those few tend to be plea-bargains for people who actually were dealers.

Mr. Obama’s own White House website contradicts his light-hearted claims about marijuana in other ways as well. Multiple pages are devoted to describing clear dangers of marijuana, including these excerpts:

Marijuana use is associated with dependence, respiratory and mental illness, poor motor performance, and impaired cognitive and immune system functioning, among other negative effects.
Marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory.
Studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, and schizophrenia.
Other research has shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. Marijuana smoke, in fact, contains 50‐70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke.

But what about alcohol? Mr. Obama stated he doesn’t think marijuana is more dangerous that alcohol.

One trick used by pro-pot proponents seems to have worked with Obama. They adopt an extremely-narrow definition of marijuana’s dangers by discussing solely on whether it is “toxic,” meaning that high dosages become poisonous.

They choose that measure because alcohol poisoning causes tens of thousands of deaths each year but marijuana is not poisonous even in large doses.

Toxicity, however, has never been the sole measure of whether a substance is dangerous. Things need not be fatal to be harmful. Plus, things that are intoxicating and hallucinogenic can lead to fatal behavior without being poisonous.

Furthermore, the studies cited by the National Institute for Drug Abuse, regarding brain damage among regular adolescent pot smokers, has no parallel from alcohol. And making one dangerous drug legal is, of course, never a good reason to add another, or a third, or more.

And …

Be on the lookout for the White House to remove warnings of marijuana use from its Website, such as this gem: “The Administration steadfastly opposes legalization of marijuana and other drugs because legalization would increase the availability and use of illicit drugs, and pose significant health and safety risks to all Americans, particularly young people.”

So … screw the kids… Obama has to justify his own drug use.

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM

You all be clown yourself with this crap.

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM

And you are a hypocritical clown.

p.s. O’Keefe has the friends of Wendy Davis, on tape, making fun, mocking, mimicking Mr. Abbott, the paraplegic, in a wheelchair. It’s so cool to be a ‘superior’ and ‘erudite’ ‘elitist’ leftist, always. Cheers from us racist rubes, who know how to treat the handicapped with respect.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:29 PM

sadsushi on January 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Crap like this makes me feel like I have to even vote for Rinos, just to get rid of the thugs that are running our Country. Or ruining, either way.

Barred on January 23, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Good evening, Bmore. :)

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.:) LOL!

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Yes my friend I have come to know you well over the years. ; ) Just as I suspected.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:30 PM

CoffeeLover on January 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Dunno-At my age jobs are hard to find-but there should be something.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2014 at 11:30 PM

I’m drinking a room temperature Beck’s Dark myself.

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I knew there was something wrong with you. The Germans don’t drink Becks.

RickB on January 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Wait. You don’t drink at all?

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Half a glass of wine, maybe twice a year, at best. However, I don’t oppose anyone drinking. You can drink all you want around me. You can also eat all/any you want, and have the biggest Coke, ever.

p.s. I’m not as tolerant with smoking cigarettes but I totally oppose Bloomberg and the other thugs on this and all other salt/such topics.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM

CoffeeLover on January 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Good evening, CoffeeLover. :) Very good to see you. :)

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM

I knew there was something wrong with you. The Germans don’t drink Becks.

RickB on January 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Oh yeah? You wanna see my Heil Hitler salute?

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM

I don’t smoke anymore. I vape. I’m vaping some good Chinese menthol right now. It doesn’t bother anyone and my lungs love me again.

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:33 PM

For our resident troll

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM

I just went to the front porch where it is minus 1 degree for a smoke. No one showed up to inhale my second hand smoke…

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Well this car design was a mistake….Williams 2014 FW36

kcewa on January 23, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Wait. You don’t drink at all?

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Honestly, can you imagine cher Schad having any fun ever?

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Honestly, can you imagine cher Schad having any fun ever?

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:35 PM

I thought everybody here at least drank booze.

Next thing I’m gonna find out Bishop is a Mormon.

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Must be okay kids, Obama did it

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:36 PM

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Perfect example as to why we call you slave.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:36 PM

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM

WHO decides what is and what is not
” unhealthy food”?

burrata on January 23, 2014 at 11:37 PM

WHO decides what is and what is not
” unhealthy food”?

burrata on January 23, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Duh. The Mooch. Ain’tchoo know nuthin’?

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Actually, I can imagine Schadenfreude having a wonderful time, often, and remembering every glorious moment.

Unlike stoners, people like Schadenfreude actually get off the couch, get more than twenty paces from the refrigerator, and actually do things in life, rather than just dream about it.

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Perfect example as to why we call you slave.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Isn’t it the start of the graveyard shift at Morehouse? Someone’s gotta empty those bathroom waste baskets. chop chop!

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Unlike stoners

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Speaking of stoners, anybody seen astonerii lately?

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:39 PM

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Perfect example as to why we call you slave.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Allow me a minor correction. It is a perfect example as to why I refer to you as slave.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:39 PM

LANCEMAN! :)

Not I.

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Evening OC and all on HA.

To be sure, I don’t lecture on smoking. Just not around it and don’t take well to it. You are very considerate if you smoke outside.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM

WHO decides what is and what is not
” unhealthy food”?

burrata on January 23, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Oh right. That part of conservatism that doesn’t believe medical professionals or like nutritionists and stuff.

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Again. My point proved. Green with envy you are knowing that my ilk is more excepted at Morehouse than yours. Lolz!

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM

HA! libdie does have a sense of humor! I think I just shat myself at that one!

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM

libfreeordie on January 23, 2014 at 11:39 PM

You sound as though you’re well acquainted with those ‘bathrooms’.

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Not I.

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM

JACKSON!!!

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Explains this

Sorry. Somebody had to…

kcewa on January 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM

I don’t see how it can possibly be a Conservative position to legalize pot.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Approach it from an economic perspective:

We are spending $ 2 billions every year for the DEA which predominantly intercepts marijuana. To get the state and local levels of spending, curiously difficult to do but let’s use double the federal so add another $ 4 billion

We are spending $ 74 billion every year for prisons – now the tricky part, anti-marijuana folks put the number ridiculously low while pro-marijuana folks put the number ridiculously high – let’s put it on the low end and say it’s roughly $ 8 billion/year

So far we are spending $ 14 billion/year and from empirical evidence effectively aqccomplishing NOTHING with regard to reducing its usage or aqvailability.

There is another cost, much harder to quantify, but I know from first hand knowledge (I was not involved but learned of it much later) that the defense attornies, police and judges are, on a fairly widepsread basis, “open to negotiation on mitigating circumstances”.

(People bribe people in the legal system to keep their kids records clean of felonies and out of jail.)

Nationwide, remember this is a SELLER’S market, the total for all of this accomodation probably runs another $ 6 billion/year. This number gets added to the total cost of “keeping marijuana illegal” but, for my money, is EXTREMELY corrosive with regard to “the war on drugs”.

How long can we spend $ 20 billion/year and ONLY get a negative social impact for our money?

Is it a conservative position to keep doing the same thing over and over while hoping this next year things will be different?

PolAgnostic on January 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Lanceman on January 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM

;)

thatsafactjack on January 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Robert Johnson – “Drunken Hearted Man”

Anti-Control on January 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM