The March for Life in Pictures

posted at 10:21 pm on January 22, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

I was on the Hill today, the 41st anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision, and yet another frigid day for the annual March for Life. There are few events that illuminate media bias quite as clearly as how a gathering of right-of-center activists is covered vs. a liberal protest. The March for Life is routinely huge, despite routinely punishing weather conditions. It is routinely populated by fresh-scrubbed teens, families, clergy. And, it is routinely nearly entirely ignored.

Case in point, this tweet today from Jennifer Bendery of the Huffington Post.

Dana Milbank takes a similar tack. I did not attend today’s march, ironically (or fittingly?) because I was home with my own very young baby. But I was in the vicinity during the day and there is absolutely no way you could miss the legions of pro-life protesters on every single corner. Giant church groups wore matching knit caps in various colors. Large groups of teenagers trekked over to Union Station to meet their buses carrying flags and signs. Bundled and booted families filled restaurants usually populated by staffers and lobbyists. You really have to be willfully blind to miss it and blatantly dishonest to report this event as if no one were there. I’d almost respect the approach the media takes to Tea Party protests more, which lean more on ridicule than ignoring. That approach disrespects but doesn’t entirely disappear thousands of Americans.

The intention is clear. It’s inconvenient to admit that thousands of young people— whose generation is more pro-life than its predecessors—took over Washington in single-digit weather to stand up for life. That might suggest that more Americans are pro-life than pro-choice and a majority of women are pro-life, as polling shows. And, we sure wouldn’t want anyone thinking about this:

Luckily, social media offers coverage of an event people like Bendery and Milbank wish to write into nonexistence. Mollie Hemingway has beautiful photos from the event, at The Federalist. Click over and check them out.

I’ll leave you with Brit Hume on tonight’s “Special Report,” on the moral case for the pro-life position. It’s not “outside the mainstream.” It’s not a loopy position for only the most religious among us. It’s not a position for elderly nuns. The idea of protecting what is clearly life in the womb— particularly in the second and third trimesters— is popular, and held by broad swaths of Americans of all ages, races, and kinds. That’s why many in the media consider it
safer to look the other way.

Comments

Thank you for gathering all the tweety photos Mary Katharine. Brrrr…….

Bmore on January 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM

…but if 5 or 10 people from the left show up for something…the MSM reports it for days…(just not the number of people in their crowd).

KOOLAID2 on January 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM

…nicely put together MKH!

KOOLAID2 on January 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM

…Hi Bmore!…come to Michigan…not!
Below zero!

KOOLAID2 on January 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Hume was particularly good in this clip and I don’t always agree with him. Kathryn Lopez (NRO) did a great job of tweeting out the pics today.

And PRAVADA/USA media ignores.

CoffeeLover on January 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Brrr….KOOLAID2

CoffeeLover on January 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Thanks Mary Katharine. I doubt this was on the evening news.

bw222 on January 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Kool, it is freezing cold even down here. Not your kinda cold but it is the kinda cold that hurts. Currently 28 down to 8 overnight. Brrr……

Bmore on January 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM

55 Million:
============

How many is 55 million abortions?

Published on Jan 21, 2013
***************************

Since abortion was legalized in 1973 by the Roe v. Wade decision, over 55 million developing babies have died through abortion. Fifty-five million is a big number and hard to visualize.

To commemorate the lives that were lost, one million deaths are remembered at the tolling of each bell and states begin to disappear to represent the numbers of children who have disappeared.

==========================================

Googley SearchaRoo:

canopfor on January 21, 2014 at 10:55 PM

canopfor on January 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Excellent. Folks with conviction.

wolly4321 on January 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Exactly. And crazy talk about “legitimate” rape and pregnant rape victims as having received “gifts from God” is not popular, as two Senate races is two red states in 2012 confirmed. It’s seen as extreme as terminating because it’s a boy and not a girl.

Marcus on January 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Dear God make it so and grow.

MontanaMmmm on January 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Marcus on January 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Couldn’t you have just saved your spew, just this once….yeeeesh.

MontanaMmmm on January 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 11h

In a written statement, Pres Obama also reaffirms “resolve to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies.”
=============================================

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 11h

Pres Obama marks 41st anniv of SCOTUS ruling in Roe v Wade, Pres Obama reaffirms a woman’s constitutional right reproductive freedom.
====================================================================

canopfor on January 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM

MontanaMmmm on January 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Its all he’s got. ; )

Bmore on January 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Well that and his hatred of Palin.

Bmore on January 22, 2014 at 10:50 PM

MeanWhile,….NO FREE RIDE FOR tour Little Swimmers:

Kansas, US
37m
Kansas judge that sperm donor is responsible for child support – @CJOnline
read more on cjonline.com
===========================

Court: Marotta is a father, not merely a sperm donor
Man responding to Craigslist ad now responsible for child support
Posted: January 22, 2014 – 3:56pm
**********************************

A Shawnee County District Court judge ruled Wednesday that William Marotta was more than just a sperm donor, that he is also the presumptive father of a child born to a lesbian couple and is subject to paying child support as sought by the Kansas Department of Children and Families.

In her written decision, District Court Judge Mary Mattivi said that because Marotta and the same-sex couple failed to secure the services of a physician during the artificial insemination process, he was not entitled to the same protections given other sperm donors under Kansas law.

“Kansas law is clear that a donor of semen provided to a licensed physician for use in artificial insemination of a woman other than the donor’s wife is treated in law as if he were not the birth father of a child thereby conceived, unless agreed to win writing by the donor and the woman,” Mattivi wrote.(More)

The document says they “never had ‘actual sex.’ ”

=================================================

canopfor on January 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Crap,….thats (yours),…..

NO FREE RIDE FOR tour

canopfor on January 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Brit was really awesome. He’s been inside the beltway forever but he was actually passionate about this.

tim c on January 22, 2014 at 11:13 PM

And with the wonders of science more people Will see the light.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 22, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Great post, MKH!

ITguy on January 22, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Several advised me to get an abortion. It would’ve been a slam dunk case for “health of the mother” Life is very challenging for me right now, because of my physical health and other circumstances. Sometimes it’s unbearable. I’m having part 1 of a 2 part procedure tomorrow.

Ask me if I think my son is one of the most amazing human beings in the world, or I wish I had aborted him.

Jackalope on January 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM

It’s bad enough not to cover the march but to lie about it is disgusting.

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Wow. You pro-lifers are so oppressed. It’s such an awesome story. But you know some people may actually look at the photos of your protest this year. I did. It was a group of photos about the youthful enthusiasm of the pro-life movement. And what did I see? A bunch of youth from Catholic Universities! So you wonder why this manufactured protest is ignored? Keep wondering.

thuja on January 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM

I do favor this new meme that pro-lifers don’t hate gay people. It’s not beeen historical true, but I welcome the progress here. I do doubt that a a pro-life movement that doesn’t engage in anti-gay bigotry has any chance of success.

thuja on January 23, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Don’t think Brit is right that this will change overnight, or that people are looking to “science”. We all know that abortion kills humans, without scientific exegesis.

Roe v Wade is the withering fig-leaf of legitimacy for liberals who want to keep doing what they are doing, like the Southern Democrats who wanted to keep doing what they were doing with slavery.

Based on history, it won’t happen overnight, but it might take a Lincoln or an MLK (and I don’t see one, right now).

virgo on January 23, 2014 at 12:45 AM

God bless ‘em

thebrokenrattle on January 23, 2014 at 1:13 AM

virgo on January 23, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Hopefully we’ll get a Lincoln or a Wilberforce instead of a serial adulterer, allegedly wife-beating “preacher.”

itsnotaboutme on January 23, 2014 at 1:22 AM

I see the positive in Jennifer Bendery’s Tweet pic.

Conservatives tidy up and don’t leave a pigsty after their [successful] rallies.

Shy Guy on January 23, 2014 at 1:29 AM

My first wife passed away at 32 almost twenty years ago.

She battled cancer for about four years. She was pregnant when diagnosed and the doctors wanted us to abort baby due to chemotherapy, we said no way.
Our daughter is now a beautiful six footer, she got her mom’s looks.

I’m so thankful we chose life.

litebeam1 on January 23, 2014 at 1:52 AM

I’m having part 1 of a 2 part procedure tomorrow.

Jackalope on January 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Kudos for coming down on the right side of a hard decision.

Best wishes for a successful procedure and recovery.

AesopFan on January 23, 2014 at 2:12 AM

thuja on January 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM

The media doesn’t seem to have any problem publicizing events “manufactured” by Unions bussing in their members (or even paying non-members to wave signs).
Besides, the kids may be Catholics, but they are still people, and they came voluntarily (unless you can prove their teachers threatened to fail them if they didn’t, as some Leftist profs have done).

AesopFan on January 23, 2014 at 2:16 AM

thuja: You are a terrible little man.

celtic warrior on January 23, 2014 at 2:17 AM

I was there at the march yesterday. It was a fantastic experience. I knew that Eric Cantor was going to be speaking, and I was genuinely surprised and heartened when James Dobson showed up. During the march, some people broke out into song, some people chanted (“Hey! Obama! Your momma chose life!”), some people brought custom signs (“Former Fetuses United for Life”).

I’ll definitely be back next year.

Stoic Patriot on January 23, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Regarding the trash bit, one of the folks on the stage also said we needed to clean up after ourselves to avoid the March for Life being fined, and that there was a bright red dumpster directly outside the Capitol Building which he informed us is “right where it belongs!” The crowd broke out into laughter after that one. =)

Stoic Patriot on January 23, 2014 at 6:08 AM

Marcus on January 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Couldn’t you have just saved your spew, just this once….yeeeesh.

MontanaMmmm on January 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM

MontanaMmmm on January 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Its all he’s got. ; )

Bmore on January 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Yeah. Who wants to talk politics here when we lose two easy Senate seats because we run idiots.

Marcus on January 23, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Abortion is the killing of human life. Thanks to the people who did protest.

Marcus you’re part of the problem. Bless your soul- you’ll need it. Your venom should be for those that kill. I realize you have counseled women to kill your babies …so I know what you are.

No signs of a pro-life rally on the National Mall today, except for this sign honoring life — in the garbage.

This woman(?) is so in the tank. So much dishonesty on the pro abort side.
———–

Thuja- you’re anti gay but don’t know it. If you believe people are born that way… you fight for the right to kill them in womb. Sleep well.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 23, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Thuja is a terrible little “man” .Heavy heavy quotes. What a dark putrid person. Not many are uglier.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 23, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Thanks HA for helping to keep alive the truth of the evil we do that is now clothed in the glow of goodness. Nothing could be more diabolical then daring to call the politically legalized slaughter of innocent life a “woman’s right.

Our un-indoctrinated forefathers knew well–our rights only come from Nature’s God and to justify the slaughter of his precious creation is to be heart and soul, bonded to the diabolical.

The truth is that the only war on women is the war on motherhood.

“the days will come when women will seek barren wombs”-predicted thousands of years ago long before modern guilt-free psychology, education, and Godless politics warped the moral minds of mankind.
The justification of raw evil continues–driven by a rejection of God, His truth, His love, and they dare to call it a right, which as our forefather knew well, only comes from the same Nature’s God that gives life to each and every one of us.

Don L on January 23, 2014 at 7:28 AM

My first wife and I aborted our child.

She and I both bitterly regretted it.

Something in my heart always told me that
she would have been a girl. When I see young
women who are the age she would have been, I always
think of her.

I am so sorry that I didn’t do more to give her life.

I’ve spoken to a few women who have gone the abortion
route. Each and every one has a hole in their soul
because of it. That’s not my evaluation. That’s what
they told me.

People need to be responsible in their sexual lives, but
if they are and a pregnancy is the result, then they need to
step up and continue taking that responsibility. When we
kill a baby, it kills us a little too. There’s a dead, dull
ache in my heart that will always be there because of what I did.

NavyMustang on January 23, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Bendery was just showing how, unlike at Liberal rallys, Pro-Lifers clean up after themselves.

ctmom on January 23, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Its all he’s got. ; )

Bmore on January 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I’d say he sounds like a broken record, but a loud-mouthed teenager like him probably wouldn’t know what I was talking about.

CurtZHP on January 23, 2014 at 7:56 AM

There’s a dead, dull ache in my heart that will always be…

NavyMustang on January 23, 2014 at 7:31 AM

I can only imagine how you feel.

JetBoy on January 23, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Interesting…just learned that this is sign language for abortion:

JetBoy on January 23, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Jackalope on January 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM

God bless you for making the right decision, and I pray for your procedure to go well!

ITguy on January 23, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Bendery got alot of crap on Twitter, is now claiming her (?) tweet was *quite* misunderstood.

ctmom on January 23, 2014 at 8:37 AM

jennifer bendery @jbendery
3:49 PM – 22 Jan 2014

Two thoughts:

1) As others have already noted, conservative rallies clean up after themselves, while “progressive” rallies leave their signs and trash everywhere.

2) Even when “progressive” rallies do throw things in the trash, they throw away things they shouldn’t…
Remember when the Democratic National Convention ended, and American flags were thrown in the trash?

ITguy on January 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM

thuja on January 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM

What is your point? That the protesters aren’t legitimate because many of them are Catholic? We should all just ignore Catholics, even though they make up 25% of our population (and are disproportionately represented on the Supreme Court), no matter how many of them show up to protest an issue?

If these were mainly Catholic union members demanding an increase in the minimum wage, or Catholic potheads demanding legalization of marijuana, would the media still ignore a protest of this size? We all know the answer to that. It wasn’t the religious identity of the protesters that caused the MSM to look the other way, it was the fact that the protesters were opposing one of the sacraments of the Loony Left/MSM: abortion on demand, at any stage of pregnancy.

AZCoyote on January 23, 2014 at 9:01 AM

America is being punished and Obama is our punishment. The media and all of the politicians that support abortion with their lies and cover up will meet Jesus face to face. Dare I say millstones are heavy especially when you wear one around your neck (no I haven’t but can imagine). The church in America is also responsible and they will be dealt with for being lukewarm especially in the case of the murder of innocent babies, Gods creation. Shame on us for allowing a political party to ram this down our throats. Shame on those politicians and churches that have not done the heavy lifting and not done enough. It is no different today that it was when the little babies were being sacrificed to molec or baal. Only now they are being sacrificed to the idol of selfishness. The lie at that time was: give me your little one for sacrifice and everything will be good…today it is the same lie.

crosshugger on January 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Marcus on January 23, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Dude, you sound unhinged. As the lovely one from Montana suggested. Give it a rest already.

Bmore on January 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Marcus on January 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

As a woman who was raped and had the possibility of being pregnant, and told that one of her babies was defective– I say a hearty “f” you..

melle1228 on January 23, 2014 at 9:58 AM

thuja on January 23, 2014 at 12:41 AM

You keep wondering about your pro-choice allies if a gay gene is every discovered and can be tested in utero..mmkay…

melle1228 on January 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Thank you for sharing these lovely photos of the mothers, fathers and guardians of life of today, and tomorrow.

You all changed my mind, so keep on speaking up and winning converts.

perries on January 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Hume’s commentary was absolutely brilliant, and courageous too.

MTF on January 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Marcus on January 23, 2014 at 6:32 AM

“We didn’t run” idiots. Akin was a “split’ vote primary, and OMG the horror that a Christian thinks that God is the creator of life…even life that results from rape.

You know what you should be even more horrified by? The fact that abortion Barbie isn’t asked these types of gotcha questions.

melle1228 on January 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM

melle1228 on January 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Great post melle1228. The enemy is the media that has free reign to move the mental furniture at any time in millions of minds. The media orders, the people obey.

perries on January 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Plan B remains available over the counter for any customer and these loons who want to ban termination “from conception” are going to lose every time. Yes, go to any drug store and pick it up for when the condom breaks, but use it within 3 days. Any idiot who wants to take that away is in for a big surprise on Election Day.

Marcus on January 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Marcus on January 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Yes, bravo idiot.. My six year old can pick that up, and she can when she is twelve. I bet you somehow think that is progress.

melle1228 on January 23, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Sorry can’t buy it. We have created a society of young trash: uneducated gutter trash that breed with multiple partners on a routine basis. We want to bring the children of these urban and white trash rats into this world? For what? To become welfare leeches on the productive class?

Why?

rickyricardo on January 23, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Wow, except for half a million people, there’s, liek, no one here!

bmmg39 on January 23, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Marcus on January 23, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Akin and Mourdoch didn’t lose because of their positions; they lost because of the idiotic way they phrased them. A woman with the same positions on abortion that those two had won her Congressional race easily, because she didn’t speak like an idiot. I’m trying to find her name…

bmmg39 on January 23, 2014 at 3:14 PM

The problem is that these are “follow the rules” types.

Therefore, they only vote once.

When the “other” sides church groups organize, they do it on voting day. With buses that take them to multiple locales to vote.

Carnac on January 23, 2014 at 4:36 PM