John McCain: I’m pulling for the Broncos because I don’t like that “loudmouth” from Seattle

posted at 8:01 pm on January 22, 2014 by Allahpundit

A must-post, for three reasons. One: We badly need a palate cleanser and Shermanmania remains in full swing among the media. His pre-Super Bowl press appearance this afternoon was actually carried live on some cable news nets. Two: The irony of Maverick, of all people, dumping on a guy for belligerently shooting his mouth off is too sweet to go unmentioned. Didn’t he once drop the F-bomb on a fellow Republican for not being as pro-amnesty as he would have liked? C’mon. Three: This is an opportunity to see how deep McCain-hatred among conservative blog readers runs. Is J-Mac’s irritation at Richard Sherman enough by itself to convert some HA readers into Seahawks fans for the big game?

I’ve gotta admit, I’m starting to lean that way.

Arizona’s senior senator made sure to call out the Seattle Seahawks’ trash-talking cornerback Richard Sherman as a “loudmouth” and underscored his grudge against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

McCain said he was picking Peyton Manning’s Denver Broncos over Sherman’s Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

“I think Denver. You know, everybody is such a Manning fan,” McCain told KFYI radio. ”That loudmouth from Seattle sort of epitomizes the Seattle team to me. … I’m sure I’m going to get in trouble for that one, too.”

McCain for the prosecution, Mary Katharine Ham for the defense:

Exactly. The post-game interview was poor sportsmanship but it was, as far as I’ve seen, an aberration. Sherman’s low-key and charming in most of his media hits, the occasional “I’m better than you” taunt at Skip Bayless notwithstanding — and frankly, I don’t want to live in a world where a man can’t taunt Skip Bayless. His point at today’s pre-game presser about “thugs” and hockey players was both funny and true. As it turns out, his jersey’s now the 10th-biggest seller among NFL players, and among defensive players specifically, he’s number one. Normally I’d assume that’s a function of people having watched the interview with Erin Andrews and wanting to emulate him as a tough-talking bad-ass, but I think the effect MKH describes of finding Sherman a tremendous player and an engaging person is playing into it too. I get a bit of a Charles Barkley vibe from him. Unpredictable, occasionally irritating, but hard not to like.

Here he is telling CNN that it was immature to attack Crabtree the way he did in the interview.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Mallard T. Drake on January 23, 2014 at 11:48 AM

BTW, in the clip, the game announcers agree that Sherman should have had more help on the White TD catch. Browner was out of position and wasn’t their to give help on the coverage.

Mallard T. Drake on January 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM

This entire thing exemplifies the rampant media malpractice that continually asserts itself against any and all “achievers” in this country.

There is no doubt in my mind that the TV producer saw the Crabtree face-grab, and excitedly sent the sideline news girl over to Sherman (as quickly as she could prance over to him in her high heels) to elicit a juicy sound-bite … and mayhaps get a “I ruined his career” media trophy.

And naturally the easy-chair QBs all fall right into the “narrative”. So it worked.

PoliTech on January 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM

How about we put that one play in the context of the whole game. This video is a compilation of all the throws to White in the game. Sherman and the Seahawks defense owned Roddy. When White did catch the ball, his yards after the catch were zero.

Sherman v. White: the whole story.

Mallard T. Drake on January 23, 2014 at 11:48 AM

And I love that he took the blame for that TD.

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM

PoliTech on January 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM

We know how much people like John Madden, Brian Billick, Tom Brady, and Rush Limbaugh are manipulated by the media.

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM

You must have missed Sherman slapping Crabtree’s backside and then getting in his face.

I think Sherman himself disagrees with you. He just apologized for his “immature” actions.

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Since when is trying to shake someone’s hand saying “Hell of a game” getting in someone’s face?

Guess you missed the mic-ed up video.

jaydee_007 on January 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM

For those that say Sherman was “playing the race card” when talking about tweets he received check out this link.

At the end of the day, the Seahawks are a great team. Sherman doesnt represent the team by himself. If you think he’s loud and classes then check out Russell Wilson.

Only people complaining about Sherman IMO are pansies that have never played any type of organized sport at varsity level or above..actually I’ve heard worse trash talk at pick up games.

Pull your panties up.

Politricks on January 23, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Sherman blames broken cup for making him take drugs.

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM

You should be writing headlines for HuffPo.

Mallard T. Drake on January 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM

They are the media. Mr. Drug Warrior Rush, Mr. I Never Played A Down Of Pro Football Billick (who also apparently doesn’t like the terms “Playoffs” or “Superbowl” to be mentioned by NFL players), Mr. I Could ‘Care Less’ About the Super Bowl Tom Brady, and Mr. I Need to Drum Up Interest in My Next Video Game John Madden.

Doesn’t exactly disprove the point about media types cashing in on the controversy.

PoliTech on January 23, 2014 at 12:11 PM

This is still going on???

I’m cheering for the Broncos, because I like the Broncos. And still PO’s at Pete Carroll for what he did to USC while he was there. He’s a poor sportman anyway.

TerryW on January 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM

T. Drake on January 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM

PoliTech on January 23, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Whether it’s politics or sports, I love when the media is blamed for someone else’s behavior. The reality is if Sherman didn’t act like a jerk, none of this would even be an issue. Sherman knows this, which is why he apologized for his immature behavior.

With your comment about Brady, you would think that he didn’t care about Super Bowls in general. Of course, all he said was that he didn’t care about this particular Super Bowl, which makes sense. He wants to win the Super Bowl ever year…he’s not in it this year. Why care about something you’re not going to win?

Not sure why it matters if Billick never played a down of pro football. He played football when he was younger, and was drafted into the NFL. He knows more about football than most. He has a Super Bowl to back it up.

Not sure how your Rush comment is relevant.

So you think Madden needed to comment about Sherman’s behavior to drum up sales for his video game? “Oh, Madden said what basically all of America is saying! Let me go out and buy his video game now.” Madden video games sell just fine on their own. People who are going to buy the game are the ones who were predisposed to buy it anyway.

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Ed Werder should ask Pete Carroll about 9/11 on Media Day

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I forgot he’s a 9/11 Truther.

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Slate: Richard Sherman was a bad sport. Why is everyone celebrating his behavior?

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 12:12 PM

The author begins with a faulty premise. I haven’t read, seen, or heard any Sherman fans celebrating his rant. We have been celebrating Sherman, the best CB in the league and all around good guy, and supporting the man against the haters. Especially those that would judge him based on his outburst.

Mallard T. Drake on January 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Peter Carroll, a fire-fighter who died in 9/11 attack

Peter Carroll, disgraced football coach and 9/11 Truther

What are the odds? There are no coincidences.

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Comedy Gold: Richard Sherman’s rant set to The Flintstones

WAAAAAAH!

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 12:48 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I don’t want to argue with you over it, I simply don’t think what Sherman said on the sideline was all that bad, especially considering Crabtree’s actions seconds before the news girl swooped in and shoved a camera and mic in Sherman’s face.

I’m not blaming the media for Sherman’s behavior at all because his “behavior” was and is completely acceptable (to me at least) under the circumstances.

I am blaming the media for making it an issue and for yet another scalp-taking .

The Rush-Billick-Bradey-Maddon thing goes to credibility. Those guys will say anything or gin up any controversy in order to keep their listeners, viewers and commentator contracts.

Newsflash – Sometimes the media even say things in public that they obviously don’t actually believe in private.

Maybe I’m going too easy on Sherman, but until someone calls out Crabtree for the hand in the grill when a hand shake was proffered, I’ll continue to give Sherman a pass.

PoliTech on January 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Comedy Gold: Richard Sherman’s rant set to The Flintstones

WAAAAAAH!

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I’ll give it a 6.0 out of 10. Points deducted for the author of the summary paragraph not knowing the difference between Fred and Barney.

Mallard T. Drake on January 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I’ll continue to give Sherman a pass.

PoliTech on January 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Sherman will knock it down! Hahahahahhaha. I kill me.

Mallard T. Drake on January 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Mallard T. Drake on January 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM

*shrugs* You got a better Sherman send-up?

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM

This guy is a thug and there are many in the NFL. I can’t believe the things Hot Air cares about these days.

Amjean on January 23, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Mallard T. Drake on January 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Here’s an interesting page. You know Erin Andrews wants another interview with Richard Sherman. Maybe she’s even rooting for the Seahawks…

22044 on January 23, 2014 at 1:01 PM

CRABTREE!…and Evelyn

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Mike Epps spoofs Sherman rant FTW!

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM

PoliTech on January 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM

That’s fine. If you don’t think what he did/said was so bad, then there really isn’t anything to argue about, since you’re not going to change what you believe, and I’m not going to change what I believe.

As far as your comment on people ginning up controversies for their benefit, I don’t disagree with you there. A lot of people do that. But I also think there’s probably a pretty good chance that these guys probably just said what they actually think. That actually does happen from time to time. On the flip side, people who are defending Sherman could be accused of the same thing because they know that their pages or shows will draw more hits, since they know most Americans disagree with them and will want to let them know about it.

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM

And Rush compared Sherman to Obama.

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Nope…Rush likes Sherman and he admires Sherman’s talent.
Whereas, Rush does not admire Obama unless you count Obama’s skill at lying?

Not to mention, we have access to Sherman’s grades!

Delsa on January 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Baby watches Sherman’s postgame interview

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Nope…Rush likes Sherman and he admires Sherman’s talent.
Whereas, Rush does not admire Obama unless you count Obama’s skill at lying?

Not to mention, we have access to Sherman’s grades!

Delsa on January 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I’m sure Rush admires some of Obama’s talents as well. Even still, I wasn’t trying to say that Rush was saying that Sherman and Obama were exactly the same person. I was saying that Rush compared Sherman to Obama, which he did:

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Seattle DOPEhawks

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Yep, we can agree to disagree about Sherman’s sideline outburst and that’s ok.

It’s true that the media lives on controversy, and where there is none they manufacture it, and then play both sides against the middle.

In actuality, Sherman should have showed more decorum during the interview if for no other reason than the furtherance of his own budding career in the aforesaid media.

But kids will be kids.

We know he regrets it because he said so, lets see if he can be better going forward. If he doesn’t learn from this then he will have to settle for owning apartment buildings and shopping centers rather than spending his “after football years” on the tube.

PoliTech on January 23, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Oh, I have no problem at all with you liking Sherman. You can like

anyone you want. I just had a problem with you calling Crabtree “classless” because Crabtree shoved Sherman. He did shove him, but you conveniently omitted what led up to the shove. Crabtree was walking away after a devastating loss, Sherman slapped him on the backside, and got in his face.

You said you like Sherman because he’s not out drinking and doing drugs off the field and he does good work in the community. All of that applies to Crabtree too. Yet you still call him classless. In fact, it’s said that the animosity between the two is the result of what happened at a charity event. Sherman’s brother said that Crabtree started it, but a neutral third party says that Sherman started it.

Just thought I would put what you said in context.

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Took the word “classless” from another post and reused it. Only used it as a tit for tat.

Somewhere online I saw a map of the United States prior to this playoff game purporting to show all the dislike of the Seahawks. It was overwhelming against the Seahawks. As an National Conference fan I was really amazed to see the dislike for the Seahawks.
My dad used to say he was for the underdog and I am too.

Underdog = NFC = Seahawks = GO SEAHAWKS

Delsa on January 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM

He explained himself and it then made sense. He just needs to display that education he has a bit more. But he is young and he did what young people do.

pat on January 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I heard that comparison and it worked for the point made.

Sherman is a football player. We can choose to watch him or pass.

Obama is the President of the United States. We can’t ignore him. At least not most of us.

22044 on January 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I despise McCain. I think my feeling is justifiable. I’ve believed for years that he is a deeply flawed individual. But I’m not going to let his views on Sherman sway me one way or the other.

35tww on January 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM

More Death rattles in the private sector……if you recognize the sound of course.

The NFL is making the noise.

Retailers are making the same sounds.

And now, private health care insures.

Maybe all these industries are being “Shermanized”.

PappyD61 on January 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Unless you are a twelve-year-old boy, who has yet to discover girls (or, in your case, quite possibly other boys -and that’s okay), and your whole identity is wrapped up in the Denver Broncos franchise as manifested by the Broncos-themed right-down-to-the-bedsheets-and-Underoos bedroom at your parents’ house, you are a total asshat that needs to get a life.

M240H on January 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Delsa on January 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Who is your favorite team?

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Looks like Baltimore is about to be “Shermanized”.

They will look like two giant white blimps floating high above I-95 in Maryland, perhaps en route to a football game somewhere along the bustling Eastern Seaboard. But their mission will have nothing to do with sports and everything to do with war.

The aerostats — that is the term for lighter-than-air craft that are tethered to the ground — are to be set aloft on Army-owned land about 45 miles northeast of Washington, near Aberdeen Proving Ground, for a three-year test slated to start in October. From a vantage of 10,000 feet, they will cast a vast radar net from Raleigh, N.C., to Boston and out to Lake Erie, with the goal of detecting cruise missiles or enemy aircraft so they could be intercepted before reaching the capital.

Interesting, I didn’t realize we were at war. When was the last time cruise missiles were shot into the United States?

Aerostats deployed by the military at U.S. bases in Iraq and Afghanistan typically carried powerful surveillance cameras as well, to track the movements of suspected insurgents and even U.S. soldiers.

Defense contractor Raytheon last year touted an exercise in which it outfitted the aerostats planned for deployment in suburban Baltimore with one of the company’s most powerful high-altitude surveillance systems, capable of spotting individual people and vehicles from a distance of many miles.

The Army said it has “no current plans” to mount such cameras or infrared sensors on the aerostats or to share information with federal, state or local law enforcement, but it declined to rule out either possibility.

Maybe soon we won’t have to worry about speech of any kind, free or not.

Maybe soon Mr. Sherman won’t have to worry about much of anything. The all powerful state will make all the decisions for him, and will monitor his every move.

PappyD61 on January 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM

35tww on January 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM

And I hope people don’t go against the Broncos just because of McLame.
I’m a Broncos fan, and I hope the Broncos WRs run circles around Sherman in the SB – BUT, I actually kind of like Sherman.
From what I’ve seen he generally seems to be a fairly intelligent trash-talker (as compared to many other NFL players), and this whole controversial interview caught him at a very adrenaline pumped moment, so I don’t hold it against him. And besides, Sherman backs up his trash-talk with performance on the field.
But I still want the Broncos to win…..

dentarthurdent on January 23, 2014 at 1:34 PM

M240H on January 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM

BAM!

Hill60 on January 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Who is your favorite team?

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Weaned on Redskin and Navy football! REDSKINS, win or loose, all the way! (I think that is where the underdog thing comes from)
NAVY all the way!

Delsa on January 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM

PappyD61 on January 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM

This isn’t actually anything new.
NORAD and DEA/INS used to have a whole line of aerostats along the Mexican border and over the Florida Keys to catch and track incoming aircraft. Their main use was for the “low and slow” planes – i.e. drug smugglers.

dentarthurdent on January 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Delsa on January 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I like the Skins, too, and +1 that “support the underdog” attitude. Sherman dissing your Redskins.

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM

This all stems from being “shunned” at a dinner party from LAST summer!

Please, that in itself is like Obummer holding a grudge. On another note, he comes off as an idiot, 2 fold:

1) Being in that situation on the field after you stick someone, you’re not not gonna be “pals”. He should know that, if has spent any time in this arena.

2) It was about him and not the “TEAM” at that moment. Coming from “Stanford” (whaaoooooo), he should be more classy.

Go Broncos!
-west

mr_west on January 23, 2014 at 1:47 PM

mr_west on January 23, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Right. And the thing is only Sherman and his brother seem to be the only ones who believe that version of the charity event story. Neutral third parties have said that Sherman started the whole thing and challenged Crabtree to a fight, and Crabtree just tried to laugh it off.

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 2:08 PM

M240H on January 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM

You’re better at life than me.

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM

-Sherman is young and was just all psyched up after a big game.
-He obviously felt “dissed” by Crabtree.
-McCain is an azzhat.

justltl on January 23, 2014 at 2:58 PM

And I don’t like the wishy washy, obsolete RINO from Arizona – nor his annoying, rude, untalented, big mouthed, attention-whore daughter.

ragnardanneskjold on January 23, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Just who cares what Senator McCrankypants thinks about the Super Bowl?

Another Drew on January 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM

careful

loudmothe is now just another way of saying ni**er

ploome on January 23, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I’ll continue to give Sherman a pass.

PoliTech on January 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Sherman will knock it down! Hahahahahhaha. I kill me.

Mallard T. Drake on January 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I LOL’d

PoliTech on January 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM

M240H on January 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM

You’re better at life than me.

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Maybe or maybe not, but you do seem really obsessed about this.

kim roy on January 23, 2014 at 9:47 PM

kim roy on January 23, 2014 at 9:47 PM

So? What’s it to you, kim roy?

Christien on January 23, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Why would I want to root for any group of thugs that would probably be in prison if not for pro sports?

zoyclem on January 24, 2014 at 7:36 AM

…come primary election time, however, I will be rooting for McCain’s opponents.

zoyclem on January 24, 2014 at 7:38 AM

GOPRanknFile on January 23, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Well said!

tomshup on January 24, 2014 at 9:45 AM

PappyD61 on January 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM

This is getting out of hand. We should all be contacting our Congress creeps and demand an investigation! On top of all the recent firings of Generals and Admirals, this does not bode well for the intentions of our CINC!

tomshup on January 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Who f-ing cares who John McCain is pulling for in the Super Bowl.
He’s a dumb a$$.

From a voter in the great state of Arizona!

Just shut up John.

mmcnamer1 on January 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Small-minded man. Unless there are other variables such as living in Denver at some time, I was taught growing up you support your division and then conference winner. Same thing in baseball. Hey, McCain, guess what division and conference the Cardinals and Seahawks belong to?

rlwo2008 on January 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I feel a Sherman coming on…….oh, yeah that was good.

Thanks Mr. Seahawk.

Hey does he go by Richard for his first name?

PappyD61 on January 24, 2014 at 10:45 PM

rlwo2008 on January 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM

You really think Yankee fans were rooting for the Red Sox last October?

Tom_Shipley on January 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Hey guess what McLame? I think you are a loud mouth too and I don’t like you one bit either. Sherman has more class and has done more good than you have your entire entitled little life. Loser!

jistincase on January 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM