Beck: I played a role in tearing the country apart

posted at 12:01 pm on January 22, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Fox News’ Megyn Kelly extracted an interesting and introspective mea culpa of sorts from her former colleague and friend Glenn Beck last night. Looking back on his days at Fox, and some of the antics his show highlighted, Beck muses that he contributed to “helping tear the country apart” and wishes now he’d focused more on the “uniting principles” in American politics:

Beck’s new platform The Blaze also carried the clip:

“I remember it as an awful lot of fun and that I made an awful lot of mistakes, and I wish I could go back and be more uniting in my language,” he said. “I think I played a role, unfortunately, in helping tear the country apart.”

“I didn’t realize how really fragile the people were, I thought we were kind of more in it together,” he added. “Now I look back and I realize if we could have talked about the uniting principles a little more instead of the problems, I think I would look back on it a little more fondly. But that’s only my role.”

It’s interesting to hear Beck offer this admission, especially on the platform on which that arguably took place. If that’s how he feels, I’m not going to argue against it, although “tearing the country apart” is in my opinion an exaggeration. I’d guess that most in this industry have moments that produce similar regret … if they’re being honest with themselves.

This is the choice that all of those who enter the public debate have to make, though — whether to use hyperbole to exacerbate and inflame tensions or offer ways for people to come together and find solutions. That is not a binary choice, though, but a spectrum over which we all move over the long haul. Some days and on some topics, even the best of us get overly passionate, while other days perhaps a little too dry and analytical.

The best anyone can do is to know who they are, know who they want to be, know what they believe to be right and moral and ethical, and hope that our decisions eventually reflect the best of us. When we fall short, recognize it and make the proper adjustments. Beck shows once again that even with the antics, he’s an intriguing and thoughtful player on the political media stage, capable of surprises and insight. Good for him.

Update: Interesting points being made in the comments, by the way, so be sure to check out the skepticism there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Over

Bmore on January 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM

“Deny’s” s/b denies.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Cara C on January 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM

What she said.

Does Beck always make everything about himself?

portlandon on January 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Possibly throwing his hat into the ring for 2016?

LOL

Fallon on January 22, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Conservative Inc.

joey24007 on January 22, 2014 at 1:41 PM

…then glibly segues into Gold Line and food insurance ads must have little respect for his audience. Sorry, but he gives me the creeps.

RDH on January 22, 2014 at 1:31 PM

How would you suggest the necessary advertisers be presented?

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:41 PM

So, is this the kick-off tour for his umpteen millionth book: Reuniting the Country, the Glenn Beck Retrospective?
Hill60 on January 22, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I think it’s more trying to restore some of his lost relevance as he’s attempting to peddle his channel to the cable carriers with these leftward lurches.

whatcat on January 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Over

Bmore on January 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Yeah, I’m embarrassed that I’m even commenting on this thread.

;-)

Fallon on January 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Ignore RightToBright. God? Worship? He is acting like a drama queen. Most likely he is an establishment guy that goes along with whatever talking points come out of the RNC.

Wigglesworth on January 22, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Give. Me. A. Break.

Since when has Hot Gas ever offered “ways for people to come together and find solutions”? This is a partisan hack site, nothing more. Let’s run the most distorted, biased BS, stick a smug picture of a smiling Obama atop it, and watch the hits peg the meters.

Such BS.

lostmotherland on January 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Hey, Mr. Jocksnifferolantern, nobody is jealous of a fourth-rate Lonesome Rhodes.

M240H on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

What are you trying to say? Just curious..who is Lonesome Rhodes??

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Sick, twisted freak.

Christien on January 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM

If Glenn Beck was telling the truth during his time at FOX, why is he apologizing? Could it be …. ?
Never apologize or regret doing the right thing!

LarryK on January 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM

You “hot air” whiners sound like a bunch of petty, jealous douchebags. Are you miffed at the success Glenn has now attained which you wish might have been granted to you by now in some form? I don’t get it. For a bunch of free market proponents, there are an awful lot of covetous, mealy-mouth gestures amongst these comments and it’s disappointing.

Jockolantern on January 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Just because you typed this doesn’t make it so. Think harder.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM

lostmotherland on January 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Seek help. Your condition does not seem to be improving.
I’m pullin’ for ya! The first step is the hardest. You can do it!

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Did HA ever claim to do such? obama did, however, you hypocritical fool.

Such BS.

lostmotherland on January 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM

The lies and ironies escape you. Check the picture again, fool.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 1:48 PM

This is a partisan hack site, nothing more.

lostmotherland on January 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM

It seems like that would make debates easier to win.

rogerb on January 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Does Beck always make everything about himself?

portlandon on January 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM

It seems like that would make debates easier to win.

rogerb on January 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM

lostfuc*erland is an easy target, better than a gnat.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I think the best thing Beck did with his program is open people’s eyes, question our Dear Leaders even more and educate ourselves as to what is really happening in the USA and around the world.

However, it was depressing to keep watching Beck’s show on a regular basis; finding out how bad a shape our wonderful country is in.

Now with some self reflection, maybe a kinder, gentler Beck will use his platform to provide some positive change this country needs.

SmallGovtGuy on January 22, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Never apologize or regret doing the right thing!

LarryK on January 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Serious??? One can honestly regret not being able to do better at anything. The importance of the issue can magnify the regret. Apology is a way of owning up to personal shortcomings either real or imagined.

What a Twilight Zone-ish thread. Very odd imo.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I think people learn easier when they are entertained and challenged as apposed to some strict “ruler across the knuckles” approach that becomes laborious and distracting, bordering on pointless.
Just my opinion…no big whoop.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM

With due respect, first you state a false dichotomy, ‘entertaining-learning’ as better than ‘ruler-across-the-knuckles, laborious, pointless’ learning… As if the latter is the only alternative to the former.

Second, some people *think* they are “learning easier” when entertained – that doesn’t mean they are actually learning anything true and of real value.

Learning difficult things, especially those things that challenge our closely held views, requires an open mind and critical thinking – which are disarmed by being entertained.

Political entertainment is not educational. It is closer to propaganda.

DrDeano on January 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Wait, this is the “gerrymandering” guy, isn’t it?

rogerb on January 22, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Such BS.

lostmotherland on January 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Yet you are always here.

You and a couple of others are always complaining about Hot Air’s content or the bloggers. Why do you even come around?

I’ve been at HuffPo maybe half a dozen times and have never commented. It’s their blog and their point of view; as a guest I won’t go over there and make vacuous comments that are meaningless.

There are hundreds of blogs which would probably suit you.

Complaints without specificity and constructive criticism is a waste of your time, the cite’s time, and readers’ time.

Do something constructive-and intelligent-or go away.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Wigglesworth on January 22, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM

M240H on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Haven’t seen that variation of my nickname before. Clever.

Jockolantern on January 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM

This is classic Beck. He’s on an emotional high right now, and next month he’ll post suicidal videos on YouTube. Emotional rollercoaster, he is.

OliverB on January 22, 2014 at 2:00 PM

LarryK on January 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Three words: N. S. A.

:# … That’s a nervous smilie.

DrDeano on January 22, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Political entertainment is not educational. It is closer to propaganda.

DrDeano on January 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM

You’re making that all up. It’s a strawman.
I never posited that entertaining-learning vs ruler across knuckle was the only option..and YOU pointed this out in the choice of your words here..

..as better than ‘ruler-across-the-knuckles, laborious, pointless’ learning…

..better in no way implies “only”.

The rest, summed up (imo) by this:

..is simply opinion not supported by evidence.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:05 PM

So much hate for Beck from the trolls. His main to question the accuracy of his content is asinine, he regularly and frequently cited his sources and encouraged viewers to dig deeper and prove him wrong if possible.

He regrets exposing the many flaws of our nation and of our politicians, but he did not lie or mislead at all. He was and still is a champion for our great nation, he simply regrets that he did not take a more unifying high road approach earlier.

As someone posted earlier, Beck pointed out lots of problems and bad people, it’s not his fault that sausage making is ugly.

TheLoudTalker on January 22, 2014 at 2:06 PM

I don’t think “Loser” was that influential.

rogerb on January 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Heh. I got it. I don’t think many others did.

Dukeboy01 on January 22, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Yeah, but then Beck is prone to exaggeration. And near-hysteria at times. It’s one of the reasons he’s not among my favorite commentators on the Right.

irishspy on January 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM

blink on January 22, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Great explanation.+

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Just my opinion…no big whoop.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Political entertainment is not educational. It is closer to propaganda.

DrDeano on January 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM

T think Mimzey’s metaphor is apt. While she is engaging in hyperbole, not at all a false dichotomy. She is not excluding alternate methods of learning.

And while one may challenge the efficacy of entertainment learning and while it is true that it does not mean that one is learning using that pedagogical method, people do learn while being entertained, especially children, e.g. Sesame Street, and Schoolhouse Rock. these two (and there are many others) teach concepts which are “difficult things” to children.

The same holds for adults.

I don’t see how what Beck et.al. do is propaganda. He is not joining hands with any government organization to spread or reinforce any kind of political ideology.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM

More than half of “the industry” never has any regrets about its presentation. In fact, that same large segment wishes if it could redo it, it could go more “full Sorkin” on peddling Democrat water, being more biased, hating the Tea Party more, and becoming even more extreme partisans than they are now.

BKennedy on January 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Reading Jacko and Lostmothers comnents remind me of an interview with some guy named Sherman on Sunday.

Too bad they don’t have a dog named Peabody to help explain things……

itsspideyman on January 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I am on the side of inflammatory rhetoric.

WhatSlushfund on January 22, 2014 at 2:13 PM

OliverB on January 22, 2014 at 2:00 PM

He will? John Titor..is that you??

jk/ no big whoop. :)

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Holy hell, what is wrong with you people? Beck is one of the good guys. He looks back and admits he makes some mistakes and you crucify him. Is there no love in your heart? No mercy? Not an ounce of restraint in judging a man who has been a friend?

I am truly, truly disgusted by the people who would claim to share my values. You’re not better then the ones you say you oppose. Ours is supposed to be the higher road. The harder road.

This thread is a den of jackals, and most here ought to be ashamed of themselves.

selderane on January 22, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Never did like Beck much. He was always a bit out there. Sure he made some good points but whenever the metal had to met the road Beck wasn’t there. I think Beck was more about giving a voice to what the elites wanted to happen and he was drafted as the spokesperson. Listening to Beck always felt like listening to someone who thought they knew what we wanted to hear but a little bit off.

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Despite whatever his motives might be, Beck is correct. But he is only one of those responsible “for tearing the country apart.” There are many on both sides of the aisle. And it continues and will continue. I see that the issue of abortion is going to sit front and center in upcoming elections. Americans are out of jobs,our infrastructure is falling apart, our education system is in shambles, kids are going without food, Congress is in shambles and the list of problems goes on and on. But still party operatives seek to divide in order to conquer, rather than work for the common good. Bravo Beck. I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt because you said what needs to be said by others: We are a nation torn apart and how to fix it is a discussion that should be front and center in our national dialog.

Halli Casser-Jayne
host of The Halli Casser-Jayne Show, Talk Radio for Fine Minds

The CJ Political Report on January 22, 2014 at 2:15 PM

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I’m a dude. No big whoop. :)

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM

selderane on January 22, 2014 at 2:14 PM

haven’t read most of the comments so don’t know how far some went. I will tell you that many people consider themselves in a state of war and therefore when people like Beck say things like this they take it as a defection, benedict Arnold type of stuff. Me I never liked Beck much to begin with so the comments he made ring true to me. I’m not surprised…

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Well. Beck thinks he could have done more to keep the country unified. The only way the right can unify with the left is the right completely abandoning all principles and agreeing with the left.

While I, as a conservative have no problem splitting the country and allowing the left to do whatever they want in their territory. Leftists would never allow it.

So, is Beck proposing that he should have induced more conservatives into decrying conservatism for the sake of keeping tensions at a minimum? I don’t get it.

Beck alerted people to what was going on behind the scenes. Now he feels bad that he did it. Why?

Am I missing something?

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:15 PM

People wanted to hear their country was being destroyed by marzists??
Who are these people? I don’t know any of them.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Did Beck ever apologize to any of the writers he plagiarized?

OliverB on January 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Since 2006, the “right” refuses to vote for the lessor of two evils and therefore we get the worse of two evils in office. That will happen everytime. It is simple logic, saying you are tired of compromising is giving up completely. Much of the right has made the choice that the country is simply not worth saving.

It’s not Beck’s fault.

The country is lost.

It is amazing that the right wing is fine with Socialism as long as they get pure politicians running, but never winning. And as long as they don’t have to fight Democrats and can just keep blaming Republicans… the right wing is fine with what is happening. After all it is those darn Republicans… the Democrats aren’t even a factor for so many of the right… they fight Republicans, because they fear Democrats too much.

So the land of the free is gone.

petunia on January 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I’m a dude. No big whoop. :)

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM

After all this time, how did I miss that?

My apologies.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM

M240H on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

What are you trying to say? Just curious..who is Lonesome Rhodes??

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Of all the faces in the crowd, yours is the most earnest.

M240H on January 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Am I missing something?

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Possibly. Even back when he was on Fox, after a couple of years of presenting evidence as to the nature and connecting the dots of the framework of marxist/communist tactics..he seemed surprised that more people had not wakened up and the extent that the msm was carrying their water.
This is very different than “feeling bad” that he provided the information.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM

kids are going without food,
The CJ Political Report on January 22, 2014 at 2:15 PM

What a load of BS
See the USDA record percent of food stamps thread.

I see these poor starving kids getting bought candy, ice cream, steaks …..where I work. All paid for by someone else, loaded up on sugar. fat and fancy, while I work my butt off to pay for 98cent whole chicken so that I can feed my kids off the dole. Meanwhile they have plenty of cash for their cigs and beer.
Any one who blinks can get food stamps.

MontanaMmmm on January 22, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I am on the side of inflammatory rhetoric.

WhatSlushfund on January 22, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Heh. My “patron saint” is the prophet Elijah.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Of all the faces in the crowd, yours is the most earnest.

M240H on January 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Well..it was a serious question. Who is Lonesome Rhodes? Never heard of him.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Am I missing something?

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Yes, you are fighting against yourself, while the left wing turns us into serfs.

Beck can see that refusing to compromise is the exact way the Socialists got enough power to ruin things completely.

2012 was the point of no return. And looking back, the right did it to our selves.

petunia on January 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

kids are going without food,
The CJ Political Report on January 22, 2014 at 2:15 PM

What a load of BS
See the USDA record percent of food stamps thread.

Any one who blinks can get food stamps.

Sorry wrong thread. ooops.

MontanaMmmm on January 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

petunia on January 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM

What?

The land of the free is gone precisely because of compromise. Conservatives in this country have slowly ceded ground to the left for a little over a hundred years and look at where we are.

This is ridiculous. If you don’t get it now, you never will.

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I always thought Beck was too caught up in the conspiracy theory, but I just don’t know about the “dividing” thing. I don’t feel better about what is happening in Washington, by telling myself we’re all “in it together”! It seems to me the rich Washington crowd of either party are more “in it together” than I am.

littleguy on January 22, 2014 at 2:28 PM

So the land of the free is gone.

petunia on January 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM

True, but your enemies are not whom you listed.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 2:28 PM

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM

It’s the name..I cobbed it off of an old South Park character. :)

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:29 PM

petunia on January 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

You’re foolish. Compromise is what you have in DC today. Enjoy RINOism. Advocating for more, doing the same thing, expecting different results…well…hopeless.

The land was destroyed by a thuggish left and a very maleable weasely R contingent.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM

The point that is lost on LibFree, Jockolantern and some others is we can distinguish between the two parts of Beck.

A lot of what Beck has talked about and showcase over the past several years has turned out to be right. Especially about Obama.

LibFree will never discuss that unless he can retrograde the argument and act as if the Progs weren’t try to trojan horse an agenda through a moderate tone. Which, they were. And Beck exposed that full on.

Beck exposed the history of the prog movement unlike anyone else. And he gave credit to the historians and writers who did the legwork.

And in those veins, Beck is invaluable. Just as he is when he calls for more individual businesses working together and the ability to self-sustain.

But, that’s not the guy in the clip above, or the guy trying to find some in-road with the LGB advocacy, or the guy looking to blitz cable companies. That’s the Beck with an agenda and as we’ve all learned, it’s an agenda about him.

Again, I point to his original argument as to why he started GBTV, and where he’s at now with the cable push. The case he’s made at both times are in exact contradiction to each other and he cannot square that circle because it would require a level of honesty he’s never been capable of.

For example, he’s argued that the only way to right the country is through education and entertainment. While I agree, I also know the first chance he gets to sign a production deal with a Hollywood studio, he’ll take it. Then, he’ll spend an inordinate amount of time explaining how he’s not sleeping with the enemy, etc…

That’s what the above apologia is about. After he gets where he wants to go, he’ll apologize afterwards. That doesn’t mean the contents not true or he doesn’t believe it. It’s two different tracks and Beck knows the problem is with his personal track.

budfox on January 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Very true. We are at point where the left and the right are in too far different camps to met anywhere.

yeap

2010

2010

Am I missing something?

they lost control

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM

The point to take away from what Beck is saying is that him and Ailes and the rest of the folks out there had no idea what they were unleashing. They thought they could control it channel it and make use it to win seats and power in DC. Then 2010 came and the Tea party/conservatives left the GOPe plantation and its been 3 years now and they still haven’t been able to round us back up. When Beck speaks of tearing the country apart what he is saying is THEY LOST CONTROL.

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM

The only success this congress has had is putting the few breaks they did on obama.

I’m not looking for unity. Know your enemies, from both sides. YOU owe it to your kids. Wake up already.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM

The arguments of 2012 will bring you another Mitt.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM

budfox on January 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Not once have the trolls criticized obama.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 2:33 PM

petunia on January 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Ok. For the sake of argument, let’s say you are right. We need to compromise with leftists. At what point do we stop compromising.

Abortion should be available to any female, at any point in time during the pregnancy regardless of the age of the child or the mother. That is what they want.

The government should be able to dictate everything and anything that occurs within your life from what you eat, to when you eat it. What kind of house you live in. The type of car you drive. How much money you are allowed to earn. How you spend your money. What you can do in your spare time. How many kids you can have. What those kids are allowed to learn in school. How you can treat your kids. The kind of clothes they can wear. The materials the clothes can be made of. How much a company can charge for said clothes. The amount the company that makes the clothes must pay their employees. The benefits available to those employees. Do you get the point, or do I need to continue?

How do you compromise with that?

It never ends.

So I ask again, where do we compromise? Is there a point where our compromise stops?

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM

People wanted to hear their country was being destroyed by marzists??
Who are these people? I don’t know any of them.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Most people want to hear the truth. The truth is the country is being destroyed by Marxists. Most people understand that so they listen to people who also seems to understand that.

I don’t know many people who want to listen to lies which is why the left wing never succeeds in talk radio nor on the AIR. It’s why people turned into VOA in the 1980′s and stopped listening to PRAVDA at the time.

Like I said Beck spoke the truth as he thought we thought it. So it always came out a bit off on his end.

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Well..it was a serious question. Who is Lonesome Rhodes? Never heard of him.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Oh fer Pete’s sake, try a search engine. Here.

M240H on January 22, 2014 at 2:37 PM

SO Glenn, you regret being a conservative then on Fox news? You want to unite with democrats now then huh? I don’t understand this one bit

sadsushi on January 22, 2014 at 2:38 PM

…I thank you for all the History lessons you gave me Glenn…but after the Shirley Sherrod/Andrew Breitbart editing from the Farm Bureau instance…………………Beck lost me!

KOOLAID2 on January 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Dude, Beck had nothing to do with that video on Fox. Obviously, you never actually watched and are simply repeating another left wing lie. Also note: Andrew clearly stated he did NOT edit the video he had received. In fact, it was the editting of various TV stations that created confusion.

Notice what Beck did NOT say to Kelly. Beck did not question the HONESTY of his commentary on Fox.

I am still trying to figure out how people even found one of his highest rated shows. The key one was on Woodrow Wilson which found it’s way onto 4+ million TV’s.

Somehow, the history channel has never approached that subject either before or since that Beck show. Could it be that the program directors at that network just do not like ‘the entire truth’ when it is in opposition to their political cause?

Freddy on January 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I kind of disagree. I suspect the he is using their tactics against them.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Petunia doesn’t care about that ‘compromise’. She only cares that the conservatives/TEA partiers shut up and vote for RINOs.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM

petunia on January 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

you should look up the term useful idiot

In political jargon, useful idiot is a term for people perceived as propagandists for a cause whose goals they are not fully aware of, and who are used cynically by the leaders of the cause.

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:41 PM

The arguments of 2012 will bring you another Mitt.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM

You talk like the GOPe is going to give us a choice in the matter.

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Is he going to refund Fox his paychecks?

Doubt it!

Division sharpens arguments, making good ideas better, poor ideas poorer and resigned to the crap heap of history. The American political scene has always been rough and tumble and should always be Becky!!! Otherwise we’ll be on the crap heap of history.

Let’s all be unified in getting Obozo and the Libratrds on the crap heap of history.

And Beck, shave.
The creep factor is getting into the red zone.

Bubba Redneck on January 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM

sure….

see: sept 11, 2001
dec 7 1941
apr 12, 1861

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM

petunia on January 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I agree with that, in this context. The importance and “last chance” was to do anything…anything to keep Obama from a second term..and the reasons for that have got to be obvious by now. The dread of knowing that he has 3 more years to destroy the foundations of this country is hard to take. In 2012 when push came to shove the ONLY other choice to stop him was a Romney win. Wasn’t good enough for some. Now we have this.
It was the point of no return imo.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:46 PM

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Liberalism is a mental disease.
When it is cured or those with it confined.

Bubba Redneck on January 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Look him up.

Christien on January 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Ahhhh. So by tearing the country apart, he meant losing control/power of conservative voters. Instead of us being entertained/controlled by the bread and circuses of american politics, we are now pulling away from politicians regardless of party, in favor of actually trying to live and govern by the principles we have. Actually demanding results and not being satiated by the rhetoric and theater.

What a sorry s.o.b… and arrogant. Apparently, he thinks this would have never happened without him. Yeah.

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Liberalism is a mental disease.
When it is cured or those with it confined.

Bubba Redneck on January 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM

more like a virus. Whenever I see a zombie movie I think of liberalism.

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:48 PM

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM

It would have been after Romney was elected POTUS.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 2:48 PM

yeap pretty much. what Beck and others unleashed in 2008/09 was beyond anything they thought possible. that was why they fired Beck from foxnews after 2010 because they were trying and have been trying to put the genie back in the bottle.

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:51 PM

It would have been after Romney was elected POTUS.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM

yeah because Mitt would have dismantled THE NSA. ////

Mitt would have cut the spending/////

Mitt would have done 80% of what Obama is doing maybe more. Just like Obama has followed 80%+ of bush policies.

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Glenn Beck probably didn’t get enough vitamin D as a kid growing up in Mt. Vernon. It can really do a number on your development.

Christien on January 22, 2014 at 2:55 PM

The arguments of 2012 will bring you another Mitt.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I agree with that. That said, Romney was the last chance to stop Obama. Now that he didn’t, the path is even more difficult.
The die is already being cast. It’s almost an agreed upon path that both the dems and repubs are going to make abortion a big issue. In doing so they are setting up the return of the “War on Women”. Why would the repubs allow this?? The same reasons they always agree to “debates” being moderated by leftists with plants in the audience. The same reason they never seem to stand on principles and fight…you know…they don’t really care. They are being served very nicely by the system as it is. It’s all just a Medicine Show selling snake oil for fun and profit.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM

You don’t know any of that to be factual. You can’t know it because it didn’t happen.
One thing that would be a indisputable fact is that Obama would have been stopped.
Don’t you agree?

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 3:03 PM

HA’s very own little ditch digger. How cute. Sweat boy, sweat!

Bmore on January 22, 2014 at 3:04 PM

It was the point of no return imo.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Quit this b/s, please. Yesterday there was a thread on how Mitt didn’t fight to win, due to daddy-issues.

I’m sick of all the psycho-analysis, blaming us. Blame Mitt.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Also, blame Mitt’s team. They fought Gingrich and others way tougher than obama, ever. They destroyed the Rs, before and after the election. Live with it.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Awww..he’s getting it all off his chest.
He’ll be a free man in the mornin’.

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 3:10 PM

The bulk blame lies with the people who voted for Obama, of course.

Christien on January 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I’m sick of all the psycho-analysis, blaming us. Blame Mitt.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 3:09 PM

It’s not bs. Stop claiming it is.
Here’s a simple question.
Would Obama be POTUS if Romney won? If people didn’t know what Obama was because they were steeped in the bullshit of “another RINO not voting for him..just another election cycle..no different than any other”.. being completely blind to the very real monster that would forever change the Republic. Like him or not, Romney was the last chance to stop him..THAT ignorant blindness was not Romney’s fault. It was the fault of those easily manipulated into sitting it out or voting 3rd party in order to “send a message” or some such simplistic crap.
How’s that workin’ out for us?

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 3:20 PM

The bulk blame lies with the people who voted for Obama, of course.

Christien on January 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I agree, but would add those that sat the cycle out or voted 3rd party.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Jockolantern on January 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM

What the hell happened to this place? Either HotAir has been overrun by HuffPo trolls or I’ve truly stepped over into the libertarian Twilight Zone where Glenn Beck is the bad guy to supposed “conservatives” for daring to examine himself and being willing to call himself out on his stumbles or faults as he sees them.

It’s off season, Mobys and chest thumpers.

I don’t see what on earth he had to worry about “tearing the country apart”

Because he encouraged the circular firing squad long after we needed to circle the wagons. All thatBS about the frog in boiling water, etc.

You do realize you could replace “Justin Bieber” with “Glenn” (Bet you would call him “Mr. Beck if you got an audience.) and that would be a perfect sentiment for a 13 year old girl on youtube. It may be time take a break from the show for a week or so.

V7_Sport on January 22, 2014 at 3:21 PM

yeah because Mitt would have dismantled THE NSA. ////

Mitt would have cut the spending/////

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Bull.
If you have such a great crystal ball how come you aren’t picking stocks instead of posting from your parents basement?

V7_Sport on January 22, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I’m sick of all the psycho-analysis, blaming us. Blame Mitt.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Trick for your side will be whether they (you) learned anything from it.
Will it be another Clown Car primary from the GOP?
How could Mitt have not been the nominee?
Bachmann, Cain, Newt, Perry…it wouldn’t have been any less ridiculous with Lonesome Rhodes and his harlots.

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Wah,wah,wah.The new whiny,wussy Beck is ten times worse than the crusader he used to be.A complete turnoff.

redware on January 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 3:20 PM

You argue like verbie. You should have a beer together.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 3:37 PM

OMG,Beck’s coming out of the closet?

redware on January 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM