Beck: I played a role in tearing the country apart

posted at 12:01 pm on January 22, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Fox News’ Megyn Kelly extracted an interesting and introspective mea culpa of sorts from her former colleague and friend Glenn Beck last night. Looking back on his days at Fox, and some of the antics his show highlighted, Beck muses that he contributed to “helping tear the country apart” and wishes now he’d focused more on the “uniting principles” in American politics:

Beck’s new platform The Blaze also carried the clip:

“I remember it as an awful lot of fun and that I made an awful lot of mistakes, and I wish I could go back and be more uniting in my language,” he said. “I think I played a role, unfortunately, in helping tear the country apart.”

“I didn’t realize how really fragile the people were, I thought we were kind of more in it together,” he added. “Now I look back and I realize if we could have talked about the uniting principles a little more instead of the problems, I think I would look back on it a little more fondly. But that’s only my role.”

It’s interesting to hear Beck offer this admission, especially on the platform on which that arguably took place. If that’s how he feels, I’m not going to argue against it, although “tearing the country apart” is in my opinion an exaggeration. I’d guess that most in this industry have moments that produce similar regret … if they’re being honest with themselves.

This is the choice that all of those who enter the public debate have to make, though — whether to use hyperbole to exacerbate and inflame tensions or offer ways for people to come together and find solutions. That is not a binary choice, though, but a spectrum over which we all move over the long haul. Some days and on some topics, even the best of us get overly passionate, while other days perhaps a little too dry and analytical.

The best anyone can do is to know who they are, know who they want to be, know what they believe to be right and moral and ethical, and hope that our decisions eventually reflect the best of us. When we fall short, recognize it and make the proper adjustments. Beck shows once again that even with the antics, he’s an intriguing and thoughtful player on the political media stage, capable of surprises and insight. Good for him.

Update: Interesting points being made in the comments, by the way, so be sure to check out the skepticism there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Beck fancies himself a messiah.

Kerry, the horsehead has him beat, duhhh.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Beck is as charlatanic as obama.

Wake up. It’s all about him.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM

No Beck. That honor goes to Obama.

conservative pilgrim on January 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Here’s another egotist., in addition to Cuomo.

NYorkers, you got what you wanted.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Beck, no worries, liblikeaslave has you figured out and will not pay for your enterprises.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I don’t think “Loser” was that influential.

rogerb on January 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Beck/obama — 2016

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Beck certainly thinks highly of himself. Overstating his influence and importance methinks.

conservative pilgrim on January 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Yet again, national divorce solves this problem.

nobar on January 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Oh give me a break. Son, your ego is writing checks your body can’t cash. You didn’t tear the country apart, and couldn’t have done a thing to keep it together.

ElectricPhase on January 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I think he must have a thin skin. He wants everyone to like him. When he got run off of CNN and then Fox it must have hurt. Being the target of an Alinsky-style assault is no fun.

I honestly wish he had stuck to his radio show and skewering the culture more than politics. He was much more valuable doing that because it was so subversive.

rockmom on January 22, 2014 at 12:07 PM

When your opponents are raising their voices, damning everyone who does not agree with them as “intolerant”, using the government to stomp any dissension and the tyranny of a majority to take away our individual rights, it is easy to become incensed. At least for some people who are not beguiled by the empty rhetoric.

But it is the calm, articulate, intellectually forceful, factual and understanding voice that wins the day and shows who the leaders are.

I am glad Beck now realizes that.

Marcus Traianus on January 22, 2014 at 12:08 PM

So I’m thinking this along with the anyone whoever “hates” gays is no friend of mine is prep for making Beck the next Charles Johnson?

Rocks on January 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Marcus Traianus on January 22, 2014 at 12:08 PM

President Romney agrees.

ElectricPhase on January 22, 2014 at 12:11 PM

“I didn’t realize how really fragile the people were…”

Oh, sheesh. What a nut. I remember when he was talking like he might get targeted during his Restoring Honor rally. Later, he actually seemed disappointed that he wasn’t martyred. The guy has problems.

Fallon on January 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Glenn Beck is about as emotionally unstable as they come – kind of a libertarian version of MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell. Beck, a convert to Mormonism, wears his religion on his sleeve. My guess is that his support of gay rights may be a reflection of his religion – gay marriage being the next step to polygamy.

Beware of grown men that publicly cry – Beck and Boehner,

bw222 on January 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Oh please.

Pork-Chop on January 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I bet the liberals take this and run with it. Instead of Faux News, it is going back to Fox News with the power tear asunder the nation The Won was trying to build for everyone. I like listening to Glen when he’s funny, when the emotions bubble to the surface, I’m gone.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM

He’s just off his meds.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I always thought he was operating with a few marbles missing. Beck…. Go away…

sandee on January 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Glenn has some good qualities. However, humility does not seem to be one of them.

kingsjester on January 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I am glad Beck now realizes that.

Marcus Traianus on January 22, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Indeed – most people deserve to be treated like children/sheep…because…they are.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM

It wasn’t him, it was the fools who follow him.

He is shallow, not very intelligent, but is a good speaker. Reminds me of the gospel preachers that come into town and whip up the people into a frenzy, laying hands on people, healing them, and then making sure that he passes the offering plate around…oh yes, he never forgets the offering plate.

Beck followers are no different from Obama followers…

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I’d like to know if so-called conservatives who were batting down dissent of Obama in January of 2008 have any remorse- or are they still so naive as to think that the rat-eared one was ever a creature who might have brought this nation together. Beck at least called it as he saw it while these stupid “give Obama a chance” idiots were just plain wrong.

Happy Nomad on January 22, 2014 at 12:19 PM

…I thank you for all the History lessons you gave me Glenn…but after the Shirley Sherrod/Andrew Breitbart editing from the Farm Bureau instance…………………Beck lost me!

KOOLAID2 on January 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Rocks on January 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM

You may well be right. And, like with Johnson, there will be those who blindly follow him.

bw222 on January 22, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Beck followers are no different from Obama followers…

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM

+ 200 million, at least.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Beck: Beck-Palin, I’ll consider. But Palin-Beck…Can you imagine, can you imagine what an administration with the two of us would be like? What? Come on – she’d be yapping or something, and I’d say, ‘I’m sorry, why am I hearing your voice? I’m not in the kitchen.’
Co-host: You’d you have to live up to evil conservative stereotypes, you’d have no choice but to do so.
Beck: I’d have to. Look I talked to the woman about it, I don’t even know what she was saying.

renalin on January 22, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Beck followers are no different from Obama followers…

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM

It’s populism and it’s wrong as well as ultimately uneffective.

thebrokenrattle on January 22, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Fallon on January 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Wasn’t he going blind at one time, or losing his right arm or something?

I am not a follower, but remember posts about him dying and that an important announcement was coming soon…

He is a charlatan, a great motivator of certain types of people, and every so often one emerges and leads those people.

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 12:23 PM

And, like with Johnson, there will be those who blindly follow him.

bw222 on January 22, 2014 at 12:21 PM

And pay for him and his lavish life-style….why right2bright is right.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:23 PM

ineffective, that is

thebrokenrattle on January 22, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I don’t quite understand the antipathy towards Beck. Many of the posters here were all in favor of his marches on Washington and his instrumental role in promoting the TEA Party.

Maybe he is a little bit of a narcissist, but who on television isn’t?

Tater Salad on January 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Tell the truth and let the chips lie where they fall.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM

So give the money back.

cbenoistd on January 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM

rockmom on January 22, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Yes, I remember his show then. That was before his “the end is near” days, when he was much more lighthearted and fun to listen to.

Chris of Rights on January 22, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Speaking of charlatans, they had Mike Huckabee Elmer Gantry on TCM last night.

bw222 on January 22, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Tater Salad on January 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Brains are for multi-threading, really.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM

No, the left count on getting a pass. People need to be confronted with the nefarious agenda of the left. The left constantly try to tear Americans apart. They do not want to unite or simply will not unite with other Americans. Everyone must think as they do or else. Case in point: Cuomo. Yeah, he “apologized” but do you think his attitude “evolved” overnight? I think not.

allstonian on January 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM

If exposing the evil forces trying to take over the country was not tearing it apart. I will admit that when he would put the pieces together it depressed the hell out of me. The far left has worked tirelessly over the last 50 years to take our country down to third world standards int he name of equality and fairness. What we will get is all but a very few equally miserable. See USSR.

jukin3 on January 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Hmmmmmmm, who would this NOT apply to ….

************************************************

MSNBC and its employees are completely clueless and any statements made by the company or its employees is ALWAYS right, you bunch of TEAbaggers.

************************************************

MSNBC and its employees wish to clarify their previous statement because it has beeen brought to our attention that the term TEAbagger could be deemed as hate speech against some of our LBGT friends who engage in this practice. This was never out intent. Our contempt and ridicule are solely directed at anyone who disagrees with us and we fill our idle moments by visualizing our contempt being forced down the throat right wing radicals.

************************************************

MSNBC and its employees wish to clarify their previous statement because it has beeen brought to our attention some of our LBGT friends LIKE having things forced down their throat as a symbol of the love and affection they share with one or more partners. We wholeheartedly support those who find fulfillment in their lives through alternative means of expression. To be PERFECTLY clear, our contempt, ridicule and hatred are reserved for white heterosexuals who are a bunch of pointy headed bigots!

************************************************

MSNBC and its employees wish to clarify their previous statement because it has beeen brought to our attention some of our LBGT friends have children who suffer from Carpenter’s Syndrome which results in a pointed, cone shaped head. HOWEVER, getting back to those white heterosexuals ….

PolAgnostic on January 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Please Beck, open your mouth wide and stick your favorite pastry into it. I would prefer you pick a Twinkie due to its morphological connotation.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on January 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM

So give the money back.

cbenoistd on January 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Ha!! The ultimate test on whether someone is sincere…

Some people are willing to risk their lives to secure our nation…others make millions off people who want to secure our nation.

Beck is the later, he has made millions promoting a “boogey-man”, that will take away our nation.

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Happy Nomad on January 22, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Yes. And I can think of two “so-called conservatives who were batting down dissent of Obama.” mccain and romney.

To paraphrase obama, “Don’t take a gun to a knife fight.”

Beck recognized that we were (ane are) in a battle for the USoA.

Give no quarter.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM

HaterAir.

MontanaMmmm on January 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM

What Id like to know is if he is speaking about tearing apart the broad center-right coalition or really finding common ground with the left.

I hope he is talking abouy the former.

swamp_yankee on January 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Boogey-man? Get a clue, dude. We are well on our way down the road to marxism. We need people like Beck to expose the enemy.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM

It means he didn’t understand what kind of personal pariah he was making of himself outside the confines of FNC.

This isn’t hard science. He wants to move into entertainment-oriented programming, but the people he wants to work with or hire, won’t consider it. It’s not about his network’s reach, it’s about him.

This is really nothing new. Like I’ve said previously, he’s his own worst enemy. Beck’s a good person, but his ambition eventually crushes all his good traits. The man is an addict. The addiction just changes form.

Really step back and look at what he’s trying to do. The Blaze is a block of a media empire, built around what? Himself.

Beck is a great producer, except he wants his name on the marquee. In that context, it makes him no different then Al Gore.

If he truly had changed, The Blaze wouldn’t have started as GBTV.

Just look at the insanity kick he’s on now regarding cable carriers. The Blaze doesn’t run a deficit, but he has to be on all providers, and you must do it for him by banging the cable company phones.

When more programming is moving towards online, and he’s already staked his territory, why does he need all cable carriers?

That was his entire argument for starting GBTV in the first place.

The answer, is he needs the carrier fees that cable companies will pay him so he can apply that to other projects. Like producing movies. He idolizes Orson Welles and Walt Disney for a reason.

All the mea culpa stuff is sincere, but an afterthought. He got what he wanted, so of course he can apologize.

The first time he pulls himself back, reigns it in on his own accord, will be real change. I mean, he perpetually laments the time he’s lost with his family due to work, yet he’s at a point in life where he can change that. But, year after year, he doesn’t. What does that say?

budfox on January 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM

We need people like Beck to expose the enemy.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM

He just cozied up with the enemy.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Rocks on January 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I think you’re on to something. Beck must have come to the conclusion that he’d rather be on the side with the power, money and media influence.

He gave a good run at fighting the slide towards Statism and worse, but now he wants to be one of “the elite”. Better parties, etc…

“Only dead fish go with the flow.” -Sarah Palin

Fallon on January 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Beck: I played a role in tearing country apart

Remember the time Beck had the big motivated crowd in the DC capitol??
And it came to absolutely nothing?
Beck showed himself at that point to be all hat (mouth)and NO CATTLE (no real ideas except feeding his own ego and wallet)!
Beck turned the DC event into a “my crowd was bigger than your crowd” contest.

That was enough BECK for me.

If Beck feels real bad…before he “offs” himself…how about giving everyone a ‘refund’ from the big cash pile you and your radio “giggle boys” took in during your 15 minutes??

BigSven on January 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I hope he is talking about the former.

swamp_yankee on January 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I took away that he was not at all trying make nice with the left, but to invite more people to our side.

Tater Salad on January 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM

He must have a new book coming out: United States, Uniting Principles. His only religion is worshiping the almighty dollar.

HellCat on January 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Was not a fan of that segment. Or Kelly’s show in general. Ugh. The shrillness that is Bill O’Reilly is enough for me.

Jeddite on January 22, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Give no quarter.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM

The marxists must be destroyed.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I had to double check that this comment thread is on HotAir and not HuffPo.

You guys sound like liberals. heh.

drewwerd on January 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM

jukin3 on January 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM

And here you have it folks. Someone who has been shown, unequivocally and by the man himself, that “Glenn Beck” is nothing but your common huckster who used TV to peddle a visual kind of numerology. This is what the left has been saying about Beck *for years* and we were always shouted down by his believers (and by conservatives who just liked how much we hated him). And now that his bank account is at a level where he feels comfortable, he is giving up the goat. Tried to tell y’all.

libfreeordie on January 22, 2014 at 12:44 PM

libfreeordie on January 22, 2014 at 12:44 PM

So when Obama gets the reported $30+M for his memoirs will you have the same opinion?

Tater Salad on January 22, 2014 at 12:46 PM

We need people like Beck to expose the enemy.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM

He just cozied up with the enemy.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I made the above comment in the context of opposing marxists.

I fail to see where he cozied up with marxism and/or marxists.

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I listened to him on the radio a few times and saw his Fox show two or three times.
I thought that he was entertaining and right about a fair amount of stuff.
He’s a little nuts and overly emotional, but so what?

The “tearing the country apart” stuff is obviously overinflated and egotistical, but, I imagine, most “celebrities” are probably afflicted with those traits and were probably motivated by them to do what they did.

So, in summary: meh.

justltl on January 22, 2014 at 12:48 PM

“If that’s how he feels, I’m not going to argue against it, although “tearing the country apart” is in my opinion an exaggeration.”

Yes. Yes it is… I’m not a big Beck fan, but this is strange.

Makes one wonder as we are in an election year, what exactly the NSA dug up on him…

DrDeano on January 22, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Beck followers are no different from Obama followers…

wow! I agree they are different but one seems to cherish our constitution and one calls it a document of negative rights and subverts it everyday. If that is equivalence its just more evidence of the collapse he predicted.

We lost Pat Gray to Glenn Beck’s radio show and he was the reason I listened but I didn’t like having three or four people talking at once and quit. I cancelled satellite awhile back and haven’t seen his show on TV but I never quite generated the disgust with him that I have for Obama. Weren’t his and Romney’s charities at New Jersey shores before the government was?

On the jaded scale I guess I don’t quite rate yet.

DanMan on January 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Yeah, the USA really sinks or swims with Glenn.

This man has delusions of grandeur!

Akzed on January 22, 2014 at 12:56 PM

And here you have it folks. Someone who has been shown, unequivocally and by the man himself, that “Barack Obama” is nothing but your common huckster who used TV to peddle a visual kind of numerology. This is what the right has been saying about Obama *for years* and we were always shouted down by his believers (and by liberals who just liked to call us “racists” for exposing his lies). And now that his bank account is at a level where he feels comfortable (“magic beans” and all)… Tried to tell you.

Your time will come.

Fallon on January 22, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I don’t Beck was any more “part of the problem” than MSNBC is, or Obama himself for that matter. Beck’s problem wasn’t his focus – it’s his penchant for conspiracy and hype – one of the reasons that I’m not shelling out money to get the Blaze. I’m interested in solutions and facts, not World Net Daily articles.

eyesights on January 22, 2014 at 12:56 PM

libfreeordie on January 22, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Beck was indeed horrible. This was probably the worst thing he said:

“He is going to put y’all back in chains.”

Oh wait that was someone else.

Wigglesworth on January 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Beck does not need to tear the country or it’s people apart, reading this thread…it’s obvious we are able to do the tearing just fine ourselves.

MontanaMmmm on January 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM

he is giving up the goat.

libfreeordie on January 22, 2014 at 12:44 PM

And that’s not even math.

rogerb on January 22, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I don’t mind Beck, but he is/was a bit of a drama queen at times. And no, I don’t think he was quite as consequential as he infers here…

dpduq on January 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I had to double check that this comment thread is on HotAir and not HuffPo.

You guys sound like liberals. heh.

drewwerd on January 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM

You fancy yourself very smart, alas.

Tried to tell y’all.

libfreeordie on January 22, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Yet, you pray to obama, who surpasses Beck, million-fold, in charlatanry.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM

You guys sound like liberals. heh.

drewwerd on January 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM

The leftists are never liberal, nor progressive.

We are the true liberals. I bet you won’t figure it out.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 1:03 PM

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM

People like you need someone like Beck to tell them, to expose the obvious to you.

Don’t forget, this is a man who deny’s you the right to worship in his church unless you give the right amount of money.

Deny’s you the opportunity to listen to him unless you pay him money, yeah, a real patriot…

I never trust anyone who charges you to worship his god(s)…because you know who his god is.

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Always the drama queen. I’ve never thought much of him.

dkmonroe on January 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Surprised by the Beck hate. Are people really that easily swayed? If so, you are all very, very loved by the left right now.
But maybe I’m not understanding the positional accusations against Beck.
Can someone provide some specific examples (beyond sometimes his style bugs me)..because that would be way, way too superficial..not more than a stones throw away from all the fan hate exhibited by the people who suddenly spew hate tweets when one of their once loved “stars” or music/movie icons says something that goes against their ideological religion.
Just curious, because I don’t see any of the implied “sins” of Beck.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM

With all that said…Beck is still “better” than the most obnoxious liberal commentator.

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Nah, because I never loved him. Never was swayed that easily :)

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Plus, Mimzey, he’ll never be “loved” by the left, nor will you/I…nothing to worry about on that facet.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I liked Beck when he was at CNN. But quickly grew tired of his rants at FOX

Major point, people like him are entertainers who make boat loads of cash off their followers. I am not a follower.

Redford on January 22, 2014 at 1:09 PM

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM

What are you talking about?
You seem to be saying that he is, in fact, right…but people as smart as you should “need” to have the obvious pointed out.
Hey!..I have an idea…lets burn some books! People should not need those things to inform them…and they cost money to provide!

The other claims, like you can only listen to him if you pay him, are just absurd. Do you have a “Pay-Per-Listen” radio? Buy one that you just plug in…but even then the church of the power company will charge you.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM

BTW, goats killed Muhammad Ali.

rogerb on January 22, 2014 at 1:12 PM

… You fancy yourself very smart, alas. …

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM

You got all that from a joke? Come on. Relax.

drewwerd on January 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM

What the hell happened to this place? Either HotAir has been overrun by HuffPo trolls or I’ve truly stepped over into the libertarian Twilight Zone where Glenn Beck is the bad guy to supposed “conservatives” for daring to examine himself and being willing to call himself out on his stumbles or faults as he sees them.

I don’t see what on earth he had to worry about “tearing the country apart” seeing as his focus on American and Constitutional history on Fox was what brought his many viewers together and united them behind spreading the same message. Obama, for his part, has done a great deal more to tear this country apart and he’ll be living quite comfortably for the rest of his life– Beck’s success or failure hinges entirely on whether or not his business can remain financially successful.

For a guy who is constantly attacked by free market conservatives for having the gall to thrive off the very extents to which the free market allows Americans to be successful, he sure tooted the horns of a great many other authors, historians, and organizations during his time at Fox– which he continues to do on TheBlaze. Glenn has raised awareness of many texts which remained in relative obscurity and that awareness helped those authors or their copyright holders become more financially successful as a result. His support of political organizations such as FreedomWorks has also raised their clout in the rising libertarian-conservative climate. His charity work following certain natural disasters has also been nothing short of exemplary.

Anyone who actually listens to his radio show knows full well that the chemistry he has with his co-hosts, Stu and Pat, is fantastic and the two are a big help in keeping Glenn not only on task but are ready to stick a needle in his drama balloon when necessary to lighten the mood. Pat and Stu bring their own perspectives to the show which Glenn appreciates even –and especially– if they disagree with him or see things differently, which they often do. The three of them make for a very well-balanced and enlightening program.

You “hot air” whiners sound like a bunch of petty, jealous douchebags. Are you miffed at the success Glenn has now attained which you wish might have been granted to you by now in some form? I don’t get it. For a bunch of free market proponents, there are an awful lot of covetous, mealy-mouth gestures amongst these comments and it’s disappointing.

Jockolantern on January 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Too bad. I didn’t know Beck was being dishonest with his Fox reporting. He owes Coward and Piven a big apology.

Buddahpundit on January 22, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Major point, people like him are entertainers

Redford on January 22, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Major point, he clearly states this at the beginning of his show, when it is pointed out that it is a fusion of entertainment and information.
I think people learn easier when they are entertained and challenged as apposed to some strict “ruler across the knuckles” approach that becomes laborious and distracting, bordering on pointless.
Just my opinion…no big whoop.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Come on! This is so obvious. He wants the cable companies to carry his network and is therefore disavowing all he stands for to win their approval. HATERS that love their country and tell the truth about the President need not apply. He’s no better than Mumbles and Bumbles (our exalted leaders) disavowing the base to suck up to their masters in the Media.

AmeriCuda on January 22, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM

HellCat on January 22, 2014 at 12:35 PM

libfreeordie on January 22, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Yep. Follow the money:

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Wasn’t referring to him being loved by the left..I meant the left would love all those tearing him down.
Small misunderstanding..no big whoop. :)

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 1:27 PM

You guys sound like liberals. heh.
drewwerd on January 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Beck sounds like the loony fringe leftist with his “Glenn Beck destroyed America!” and related new rants.

whatcat on January 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I can’t take listening to the guy. Anyone who preaches that gloom, doom, death and starvation is coming and then glibly segues into Gold Line and food insurance ads must have little respect for his audience. Sorry, but he gives me the creeps.

RDH on January 22, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Jockolantern on January 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Here is my response to huckleberryfriend yesterday when he suggested that someone may be making too much money: http://hotair.com/archives/2014/01/21/gallup-54-of-republicans-are-very-or-somewhat-dissatisfied-with-income-and-wealth-distribution-in-u-s/comment-page-1/#comment-7658597

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM

A few years ago, Beck was one of the few talking about the Constitution, history and philosophy in context of what was going on, and he was doing so when it was dangerous to do so. Obama’s approval ratings were in the 80s and he was being worshipped as a god by millions.

However, Beck didn’t go far enough in exposing the stealth Marxists running the show. For example, he, along with all the other establishment conservative media, didn’t honestly cover the Obama eligibility problems or call on Obama to authorize the release of the originals of all his identification and education records to answer the questions of millions of concerned Americans.

I don’t understand his regrets now. History has repeatedly shown us you can’t “unite” with Marxists. They are out to steal all you have, silence you, and enslave you to the state, and they will do whatever it takes to achieve their goals.

Cara C on January 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM

So, is this the kick-off tour for his umpteen millionth book: Reuniting the Country, the Glenn Beck Retrospective?

Hill60 on January 22, 2014 at 1:35 PM

davidk on January 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Very well stated.

Jockolantern on January 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Hey, Mr. Jocksnifferolantern, nobody is jealous of a fourth-rate Lonesome Rhodes.

M240H on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Has Obama had a “private meeting with him”?

Is this like when Nicolae Carpathia meets with his most vocal enemies and they suddenly become his biggest fans?

Nutstuyu on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Does Beck always make everything about himself?

portlandon on January 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM