Beck: I played a role in tearing the country apart

posted at 12:01 pm on January 22, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Fox News’ Megyn Kelly extracted an interesting and introspective mea culpa of sorts from her former colleague and friend Glenn Beck last night. Looking back on his days at Fox, and some of the antics his show highlighted, Beck muses that he contributed to “helping tear the country apart” and wishes now he’d focused more on the “uniting principles” in American politics:

Beck’s new platform The Blaze also carried the clip:

“I remember it as an awful lot of fun and that I made an awful lot of mistakes, and I wish I could go back and be more uniting in my language,” he said. “I think I played a role, unfortunately, in helping tear the country apart.”

“I didn’t realize how really fragile the people were, I thought we were kind of more in it together,” he added. “Now I look back and I realize if we could have talked about the uniting principles a little more instead of the problems, I think I would look back on it a little more fondly. But that’s only my role.”

It’s interesting to hear Beck offer this admission, especially on the platform on which that arguably took place. If that’s how he feels, I’m not going to argue against it, although “tearing the country apart” is in my opinion an exaggeration. I’d guess that most in this industry have moments that produce similar regret … if they’re being honest with themselves.

This is the choice that all of those who enter the public debate have to make, though — whether to use hyperbole to exacerbate and inflame tensions or offer ways for people to come together and find solutions. That is not a binary choice, though, but a spectrum over which we all move over the long haul. Some days and on some topics, even the best of us get overly passionate, while other days perhaps a little too dry and analytical.

The best anyone can do is to know who they are, know who they want to be, know what they believe to be right and moral and ethical, and hope that our decisions eventually reflect the best of us. When we fall short, recognize it and make the proper adjustments. Beck shows once again that even with the antics, he’s an intriguing and thoughtful player on the political media stage, capable of surprises and insight. Good for him.

Update: Interesting points being made in the comments, by the way, so be sure to check out the skepticism there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Bmore

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Ed: If that’s how he feels, I’m not going to argue against it, although “tearing the country apart” is in my opinion an exaggeration.

Beck: I think I played a role, unfortunately, in helping tear the country apart.

My emphasis, you decide.

Knott Buyinit on January 22, 2014 at 3:43 PM

His show was informative and entertaining from a historical perpective. However his economic chickenlittlism never panned out.

Red Creek on January 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I suspect the uniting he is talking about is that he ran down the republican party as well, probably influenced more by the Ron Paul wing of the tea party, perhaps he sees some of the uniting he could have done in terms of the internal factions made up of conservatives, like Mormon conservatives and evangelical conservatives and Santorum conservatives and red state conservatives and blue state conservatives. He regularly said things that concluded that voting for your ideals is everything and if there is no candidate? Beck didn’t say what he wanted you to do, but in pointing out what has been going badly he did not know the solutions or give a solution that would unite conservatives, especially in the places where Ron Paul supporters were wrecking/sabotaging republican party efforts to get the country back on track. (Oh dear, it wouldn’t have been perfect.)

Fleuries on January 22, 2014 at 3:57 PM

This guy is an Ego-Center Jerk-Wad who is INCAPABLE of composing a contiguous, rational thought with a trajectory in which the conclusions are even remotely related to its premises.

His only satisfation in life is to Beat His Inaqequate Chest Publicly and Proclaim: “I HAD AN EFFECT – LOOK!!“…..he NEVER did.

A quote (unrelated) from “Chronicles” by Bob Dylan:

“I wanted to see these people SET ON FIRE!”

williamg on January 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM

*Ego-Centric Jerk-Wad

williamg on January 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM

You argue like verbie. You should have a beer together.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 3:37 PM

My..what a compelling argument you present.
No big whoop.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Man, tough crowd today.

I will wait with great anticipation for Obama’s apology for helping to tear this country apart.

jazzuscounty on January 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM

williamg on January 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Which guy?? Beck?

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 4:10 PM

williamg on January 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Which guy?? Beck?

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Yes. Grin Bleck. I have captured and succinct characterization of teh brownian motion of neural cell firings which randomly and dissociatively occur within this brain…….when there is any neuron firing at all above the reptilian brain functions…..

williamg on January 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM

*Yes. Grin Bleck. I have captured a succinct characterization of the brownian motion of neural cell firings which randomly and dissociatively occur within this brain…….when there is any neuron firing at all above the reptilian brain functions…..

williamg on January 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Didn’t realize Beck was so important.

lonestar1 on January 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I guess he’s just an entertainer after all. I know he made fun of people who pursued the birth certificate issue which could have prevented the devastation of the country. Thanks a lot, Glenn.

theaddora on January 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Well, if he accomplished nothing else he did help keep that communist Van Jones from becoming part of the Government.

Barred on January 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM

to me it seems like beck is the next arriana huffington i think he’ll become a liberal soon. anyone else get the same feeling recently?

TheIkrim on January 22, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Barred on January 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM

The only difference between Van Jones and the people there now, is he is open about what he believes.

JAGonzo on January 22, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Look him up.

Christien on January 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Did…what a childish comparison. Seriously people…grow up.
You egomaniacs who seem to think you’re the only ones who think “clearly” are the very reason we will lose again. This thread has exposed some of the most surprisingly idiotic comments from some posters that I would have never guessed to be so very impressed with themselves and their super special insight and “truth”.
Want to know why conservatives lose?…look in the mirror. The immaturity of reason and logic is embarrassing imo.
Get over yourselves.
No big whoop.

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 4:38 PM

His Fox News show became unwatchable. Remember how he would hype certain upcoming announcements, as if they would be earth-shattering revelations, and nearly each time they would turn out to be nothing?

Rambling Beck: http://youtu.be/bX1rLv_hNeI

Remember his supposedly explosive revelation about the Boston bombing?

Beck always seemed rather shallow. He read a few books, then acted like he alone was bringing “the truth” to the masses. Remember how he would say in previews that we “must” watch his next show, get everyone we know to watch his show, and to take notes?

Beck has much too high opinion of himself.

Beck’s FNC started out with so much drama and hype, building show after show, but it couldn’t be sustained and the show fizzled out and eventually went nowhere. It became a self-indulgent bore. And now he’s saying, “forget all that. Buy my new book/support my new venture.”?

Conservatives can do better than the unstable, goofy, shallow charlatan Glenn Beck.

bluegill on January 22, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Glenn Beck is a drama queen.

bluegill on January 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM

He is Elmer Gantry. But just because he is a phony doesn’t mean that the fundamental point of the message was false. Whether he believed it or not.

It was kind of obvious he was messed up con artist the day he got on the desk in his lederhosen. The fact he was sayin that Obama was a Marxist destroying our country was true though.

Now that he is confessing just like Gantry too. Now if Beck would just walk away.

KMav on January 22, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 3:41 PM

; )

Bmore on January 22, 2014 at 5:11 PM

KMav on January 22, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Exactly right.

bluegill on January 22, 2014 at 5:16 PM

People like you need someone like Beck to tell them, to expose the obvious to you.
Don’t forget, this is a man who deny’s you the right to worship in his church unless you give the right amount of money.
I never trust anyone who charges you to worship his god(s)…because you know who his god is.
right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM

What delusions are you taking about? !

“…this is a man who deny’s you the right to worship in his church unless you give the right amount of money…”.

What nonsense is this? Are you referring to the historical practice of Tithing, which is common to the entire Mormon Church and not a “Beck edict” (which is just a member, btw)? And, if you don’t know what this, maybe you shouldn’t go around complaining about it. Besides, exactly in what way does it affect you if the Church of Latter Days Saints considers part of their doctrine to practice this? If you were truly interested in converting to this religion you would then do it because you believe, among other things, in this practice as well. If you don’t their practice doesn’t affect you in any friggin’ way.

“…Deny’s you the opportunity to listen to him unless you pay him money, yeah, a real patriot…”.

Wow- you sound just like an Obama supporter wanting the labor of a private citizen for free without paying for their work and investment. Not only that but your feign outrage over this just exposed you as a fake listener since you have no clue where the radio show is: every day on a myriad of radio stations across the country and “for free”. On top of that his company posts a ton of radio and TV segments, also for free since you love handouts, on his website, plus the last 30 days of free content you can also find in the free The Blaze app. The only thing you pay subscription for is if you want to watch the entirety of the shows on his network online, unless you have one of the cable/dish services that carry it in which case you already have it ‘for free’.

Want to discuss someone’s opinions then discuss the merit of his ideas. But don’t try a fake leftist character assassination made of b#$%&*t.

ptcamn on January 22, 2014 at 5:28 PM

All this Beck bashing makes one think this is D.U. site.

He may be full of himself but I’ll take him and sort out his over the top self-centered blab over any who just blow smoke.

Texyank on January 22, 2014 at 5:58 PM

The point to take away from what Beck is saying is that him and Ailes and the rest of the folks out there had no idea what they were unleashing. They thought they could control it channel it and make use it to win seats and power in DC. Then 2010 came and the Tea party/conservatives left the GOPe plantation and its been 3 years now and they still haven’t been able to round us back up. When Beck speaks of tearing the country apart what he is saying is THEY LOST CONTROL.

unseen on January 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM

+++10000000

It was obvious in the way Beck held back at certain critical junctures, like supporting nullification. He always said he had some “grand announcement”, but never any follow through. The genius in what he, Levin and Rush do is they make their listeners think they are against the establishment, true conservatives and populists, but they always end up trying to convince us to support the lesser of two evils (McCain/Romney) or decline to decry unconstitutional acts or power grabs (e.g., bombing Libya), etc.

Firefly_76 on January 22, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Don’t forget that Glenn Beck stabbed Andrew Breitbart in the back when Beck apparently lied and said the Shirley Sherrod video had been deceptively edited.

bluegill on January 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I am surprised at the lack of appreciation for Glenn Beck’s good work on FOX. He, along with others, helped me become more aware of what was going on with our monetary system, how “we” were and are still being sold down the river by most politicians and helped me appreciate the history of our country…good and bad. He talked about national and world politics in a way no one else in popular media dared and millions of us are better for listening to him.

vermonter on January 22, 2014 at 7:11 PM

bluegill on January 22, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Where would conservatism be without rock=ribbed stalwart supporters like you sesqui?

I can’t wait till you rip the mask off on these people next election cycle.

Murphy9 on January 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM

You mean like the Catholics and the Jews?

jaimo on January 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I can’t believe how many people here hate Glen Beck. I feel like I’ve entered Invasion of the Body Snatchers. He’s a talking head. Every full-time talking head wants to make money at it. Yeah, he’s a little arrogant. As Malcolm Reynolds said in Firefly, “It’s my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of sommbitch or another.”

Some of you may be uncomfortable with all the doom and gloom talk, but the economy as it is – with municipalities everywhere beginning to go bust, escalating government spending, massive increases in the population relying on government entitlements, an entire generation of young people with loads of college debt and no future prospects – is in serious trouble. More and more federal manipulation used to maintain the thin veneer of a working economy will only make the inevitable collapse (or for you more sensitive souls, “correction”) much worse. Glen Beck did not create this situation. He merely gave you a peek behind the wizard’s curtain. You can shake your fist at him all you want, you’re shaking your fist at reality.

Wake up people, and think about what side you’re on.

MichelleO on January 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Glenn Beck is a drama queen.

bluegill on January 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Well that claim is just too easy.

Even Pat and Stu (openly) agree with that.

listens2glenn on January 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM

He gives himself to much credit and the only thing I liked about his show was when he had David Barton on as a guest. Now that is a man I could watch daily

Bullhead on January 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I actually haven’t watched or listened to him since he left Fox.

I liked his FNC show at first, but then he just got so zany and convoluted. After awhile he seemed too self-important.

I liked that he exposed the audience to many conservative authors and exposed the far left backgrounds of many in the Obama administration.

But his presentations with chalkboard lessons and props often ended up having a paranoid feel. If he saw his job as teacher, he wasn’t a good one. He could entertain, but I don’t think he was smart enough to always convey his thoughts and make his arguments in a serious, thorough and clear way.

People like Levin are much smarter and have more background knowledge. Beck’s Fox show sometimes seemed like a strange late-night infomercial.

bluegill on January 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Beck in lederhosen: http://youtu.be/UltAEJ4i7nE

Look, pointing out that many “community service” tax payer-funded organizations have a political agenda is great, but he just comes off looking ridiculous with certain stunts, and the important message is obscured.

Many people will come away from that segment thinking, “what did I just watch?”

bluegill on January 22, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Want to know why conservatives lose?

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 4:38 PM

There are more reasons than this one, but yeah, we are notorious for our circular firing.

jazzuscounty on January 22, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Not Sure exActly what’s going on with Beck /sarc I think.

BoxHead1 on January 22, 2014 at 10:06 PM

probably sarc but who knows. If he keeps supporting Rand Paul then I still like him.

BoxHead1 on January 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Okie-doke, Marjoe.

S. D. on January 22, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Late to this party and haven’t read the comments, but if educating the population and giving people things to think about is “tearing the country apart”, then perhaps there’s nothing worth not tearing apart.

That’s a wonderful sentiment, Ed, but we’re at war. It’s okay to take the high road when a loss isn’t going to mean going further down the road of socialism and this degenerate society. For instance, we’re having to argue about not aborting 8 month old fetuses, for f-sakes.

I’ll worry about my soul and how I look when we’ve turned the tide from the degeneracy that we have before us.

I like Beck, but he can take his garment rending elsewhere. If he honestly believes this, then perhaps he should retire somewhere and get out of the way of the people who have to do the hard and dirty work now.

kim roy on January 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM

A few years ago, Beck was one of the few talking about the Constitution, history and philosophy in context of what was going on, and he was doing so when it was dangerous to do so. Obama’s approval ratings were in the 80s and he was being worshipped as a god by millions.

However, Beck didn’t go far enough in exposing the stealth Marxists running the show. For example, he, along with all the other establishment conservative media, didn’t honestly cover the Obama eligibility problems or call on Obama to authorize the release of the originals of all his identification and education records to answer the questions of millions of concerned Americans.

I don’t understand his regrets now. History has repeatedly shown us you can’t “unite” with Marxists. They are out to steal all you have, silence you, and enslave you to the state, and they will do whatever it takes to achieve their goals.

Cara C on January 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Nice comment. I appreciate what he has done – he was talking about things that no one else was and while sometimes the messenger was a little “odd”, the message should not be ignored.

I’m a little baffled as well by the tone of the comments. We should appreciate anyone who is willing to battle, since there are so few that seem to have the stomach for it.

I’m also, like you, a little confused about his regrets. I hope it’s nothing more sinister than just a bit of attention seeking.

And yes, there is no “unite” with Marxists.

Thanks for posting your comment. Please post more often.

kim roy on January 22, 2014 at 11:01 PM

He has nothing to apologize for. He definitely dramatized his point of view, but in the TV media, why is that a fault? He gained many followers to his causes in that time.

Nobody on the other side was trying to “unite” with him, so he need not worry about any lost opportunity to reconcile: there was none. He created a platform and then used it.

So this is routine false-modesty.

virgo on January 23, 2014 at 12:32 AM

TheIkrim on January 22, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Glenn Beck started out as a conservative and then became a libertarian. As Allan Bloom points out in his book, “The Closing of the American Mind“, liberals and libertarians have a lot in common.

Many libertarians eventually go liberals. My brother is a good example of this. He is libertarian but he’s now spouting liberal ideas. Soon, he will be a liberal.

Conservative Samizdat on January 23, 2014 at 1:52 AM

He, more than anyone, triggered a broad awakening as to the nature and extent of progressivism. If that is divisive, so be it.

petefrt on January 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Beck is one of the MOST entertaining radio guys ever. Moron Trivia is a great example. Plus those fake Honey-I-Forgot-Valentine’s-Day segments. The exception being the segments where he used his Funeral Home Voice.
And the crowd he gathered in DC was pretty impressive.
But on TV…pretty creepy.
My conclusion is that Glenn Beck is pretty much all about doing one thing: selling Glenn Beck.

Galtian on January 23, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Major point, people like him are entertainers who make boat loads of cash off their followers. I am not a follower.

Redford on January 22, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Well, except for following that cash-guzzling group of charlatans known as the RNC, right?

Interesting story, but I pretty much lost interest in Beck when he was dreaming up that “Restoring Honor” rally/ego trip. I think he realized that he just doesn’t have Limbaugh’s talents and strengths to go it alone and weather the arrows. He might be on MSNBC next, who knows.

ddrintn on January 23, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Wake up people, and think about what side you’re on.

MichelleO on January 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Which is actually what Beck should do. I can think of a couple of prominent conservatives that Beck was happy to glom onto for a while, and then turned around and stabbed them in the back. More power to him, I guess, but the guy just isn’t trustworthy.

ddrintn on January 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 4:38 PM Not HotAir’s best day.
*sigh*
Although I don’t buy everything Beck has said, I don’t buy everything most people say, either. Even on this site.

If I want to see remarks like this, I can go to HufPo or Democrat Underground.

avagreen on January 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!
AuH2O

Terp Mole on January 23, 2014 at 10:56 AM

“Tearing the country apart” is egoistic. “Helping tear the country apart” is not as much.

And face it, whether or not the country is tearing and whether or not people are “fragile” is just an opinion. Beck has his, I have mine. I have long listened to Beck’s program, only agreeing with a few of his views and predictions.

I still think it’s one of the funniest shows in conservative talk and I still think he’s one of the brightest guys in that circle. And let’s face it some of the “tearing” was done to the “fragile” people by making jokes about people who think it’s the criterion of character be able to take a joke, even when the “joke” was vicious, crass, or spittle-flecked.

Axeman on January 23, 2014 at 11:09 AM

eh, I wouldn’t say that Glenn. I really liked your show on Fox. Didn’t see what the problem was.

jake49 on January 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM

You don’t know any of that to be factual. You can’t know it because it didn’t happen.
One thing that would be a indisputable fact is that Obama would have been stopped.
Don’t you agree?

Mimzey on January 22, 2014 at 3:03 PM

yes I do know that because of Mitt’s past actions and words. The outcome was a book anyone could read if they wanted. And yes Obama would have ben stopped. So what? the cancer in this country is bigger than Obama. It is the entire governing elite. You think any of them would dismantle NSA? or stop the run away spending? or give back our freedoms. It’s the age old problem. Those at the top are very hesitant to give up their power and influence. It is why the founders had to fight in 1776 and it is because of that fight and the deaths required to wrest the power from the elites that we have the COTUS. To think someone like Mitt who has been raised and bred with that power and influence and wealth for all of his life would willing give up that power is delusional. Obama has Marxist/socialist tendencies which is different than Mitt but they both love power and wealth, they both along with the Bushies and Clintons crave that power and would not weaken the POTUS nor the power of DC and return the power to the people.

So yes I do know that Mitt winning the election would have meant squat when it comes to changing policies that matter. Mitt would have pushed amnesty, gun control, open borders, WTO, free trade, weak dollar, empire building, run away spending, and he would have embraced obamacare. His words and actions told me what would be factual upon his election. Sadly it seems you missed his record and his words during the election and embraced hope and change mitt style.

unseen on January 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM

And now that his bank account is at a level where he feels comfortable, he is giving up the goat. Tried to tell y’all.

libfreeordie on January 22, 2014 at 12:44 PM

He’s a farmer, too?

DrMagnolias on January 23, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Bull.
If you have such a great crystal ball how come you aren’t picking stocks instead of posting from your parents basement?

V7_Sport on January 22, 2014 at 3:23 PM

It doesn’t take a crystal ball to know how a candidate will act once in office only their records. Just as in picking stocks a companies past actions and profit are all you need to know to make a reasonable estimate on their future earning power and actions. Of course there is always the game changer coming out of nowhere. the new product everyone must have ect that upsets the apple cart but for 99% of stocks as well as candidates what you see (their record, not the poll tested crap their consultants tell them to say during the campaign) is what you get

unseen on January 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Glen you concede yourself too much power. Democrats are no longer for the working man. They are the Elite controlling the peasants. It is the issues dividing the nation. Never in all my years have I felt the Federal Governments presence in my life as now! Your problem was getting us fired up and offering no solutions. If you’re going to lead then go all the way, don’t just point out the problems and then wring your hands and say “oh woe is me”.

Herb on January 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Well, the Left is loving this. Why? Because they take Beck’s statement to mean that instead of reacting to the Obama administration’s attempt(s) to destroy the country (which are ongoing), he was standing in the way and thereby “helping” to tear the country apart.
So, now if one stands in opposition to what they see as destruction, they are helping to tear apart the country? I assume that George Washington should have simply waited out the British and once they left the battlefield he could have said much the same thing.
So will we now see a more “McCainesque” version of Beck? Will he be reaching across the aisle to hug his former arch enemies? Will he bring cookies?
The Left may be right, Glenn Beck may have in actuality said he was wrong about everything he has done up to this point. So why would we listen now?

darkmetal on January 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM

darkmetal on January 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM

George Washington and the other founders tore apart the British empire and in its place founded the USA. Sometimes it isn’t bad to tear something apart and start new.

unseen on January 23, 2014 at 2:33 PM

unseen on January 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM

OK the parents basement thing was a cheap shot, my apologies, but are you quite sure you aren’t defending inaction by saying that everything is hopeless?
The first rule of a patriot IMHO is to at least minimize harm, At the VERY LEAST Romney wouldn’t have hurt this country like Obama has.

V7_Sport on January 23, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Yeah, but then Beck is prone to exaggeration. And near-hysteria at times. It’s one of the reasons he’s not among my favorite commentators on the Right.

irishspy on January 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM

That’s a more compelling argument when you’re using the man’s actual words and not a paraphrase. And this is the opposite of exaggeration:

I think I played a role, unfortunately, in helping tear the country apart

How dare he suggest he played some sort of role!!! I mean what kind of egomaniac admits to playing a role?!?! And helping??!!??!

Denying this is stupid. Glenn Beck’s 5 PM show drew in viewers. Is it too much to say that a show in the 5 PM time slot that becomes a ratings bulwark “plays a role” in something? We might disagree what role this is, but I think we can at least establish that it is “a role”. We can also disagree whether it helped anything or what it helped, but saying that it helped some effect shouldn’t be that ridiculous either.

The real problem is that he seems, in some part, to insult his audience who tuned in. We participated in helping him “tear the country apart” and if we loved his show, it seems to reflect at least a little bit on our character.

I DVR-ed every show–whether I watched it or not, and the most annoying thing was when Beck would hype up an episode that I “wouldn’t want to miss”. I’d watch it and think that it was more repetitive than he might have thought or not as compelling as he thought. But I think that was a problem with built expectation as well. He imparted a lot of knowledge and had some stellar shows that anything off the mark just gave us room for dissatisfaction.

You have to understand Beck, to some degree. He tries to use words to indicate something they normally don’t. He called Obama a “racist” and then immediately said “I don’t mean that he hates all white people”. So, I’m more interested in hearing him expand what part was “tearing the country apart”, before denouncing him, just as much as I was not scandalized when “Manufacturing Czar” Ron Bloom said “We kind of agree with Mao that political power comes largely from the barrel of a gun.” (And yes, Beck was one of the chief alarmists about this quote. What’s odd, to me–and telling in a more subtle way–is that he quoted Mao, and not one of the parade of founders who understood the implicit and inextricable role of deathly force in government–as if Mao were the first one to notice. But they can’t be right and Mao wrong (in this case)–of course, the founders wanted to control that gun, and Mao wanted to justify its use, in the same progressive nihilistic way that they tend to engage in all politics of compulsion. There is a marked difference between looking warily at the barrel of the gun of state and saying that it’s an inevitable condition, so let’s start shooting. One is judicious, the other immoral.)

Axeman on January 23, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Conservatives eat their own.
No wonder we can’t get a President elected.

avagreen on January 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM

V7_Sport on January 23, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I would tend to agree however recent history shows that isn’t the case. Clinton kept most of Bush the first’s polices, Bush the second kept most of Clinton’s polices and Obama kept most of bush’s polices. Since Mitt’s time as Governor brought MA among other things Romneycare, same sex marriage and increased spending. Also he grew up watching his father govern MI. his father was gov of MI from 1963-69 bringing MI its first state income tax, greatly expanding MI’s state government and pushing for the civil rights bill. His father ran against and fought against Barry Goldwater just like Mitt did against Newt. To the Romney’s conservatives are more of the problem then liberals. Their family history and records in office say so.

Would he have hurt this country as bad as Obama is? Who knows but he would have followed almost all of Obama’s policies. Mitt would have probably been a better manager of the country than Obama but the end result would be the same. Unless we get someone who the elites don’t like into office this country is going down the drain for the last time.

unseen on January 23, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Conservatives eat their own.
No wonder we can’t get a President elected.

avagreen on January 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I don’t think so. those that pretend to be conservative eat real conservatives more so than conservatives attacking each other. in fact watching who in the GOP attacks who tends to show you which side they are on and outs the pretend conservatives pretty quick.

unseen on January 23, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Red Creek on January 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM

There is a tsunami/crap storm building out there, and all it’s going to take is one little breeze to upset this house of cards. However, even I, the eternal prophet of doom, have to admit that the witch doctors economists have done a much better job juggling chainsaws than I ever thought they would. However I am still waiting on the inevitable black swan that happens from time to time. We’ll see if they can deal with that and juggle.

DFCtomm on January 23, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Gee, my first reaction was “What’s Beck up to?” as in he’s not serious or perhaps he’s mimicking what a repentant Obama might sound like were he even 1/1000th of the president or person he claims to be. Otherwise, I dunno.

stukinIL4now on January 23, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I’ve always liked Beck, despite his imperfections. I’ve learned a lot from his shows on Fox and The Blaze. But the rising star and intellect there now is Buck Sexton (a name Beck lampoons…)

elfman on January 23, 2014 at 8:08 PM

The corporatists and Republican Kool-Aid drinkers swarm every Beck thread. “Just stop the infighting and then in 2016 a Republican President and Senate can end Obamacare…” I’ve been there over and over, not going back.

That’s the real reason they hate Beck; He lampoons what they sense but refuse to face in their own political ideology and in themselves.

elfman on January 23, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I haven’t in the past listened to the Beck radio show much because it happened to be at times I wasn’t listening to the radio and on the occasions I did listen I didn’t enjoy the style of show. It comes off like typical drive time radio, wise guy buddy DJs goofing around,with occasional serious monologues interjected by Beck with little information that I had already heard discussed seriously elsewhere. The time of the show was changed here as the radio station has been juggling the schedule over the last month. I listened for a couple of days recently and it became very apparent that Beck has received his manila envelope full of photographs from the DNC. That or one of his kids has come out of the closet. He was pushing the homosexual agenda and spewing the leftist narrative that conservatives somehow persecute homosexuals and even intimated conservative positions are not Christ-like. On several occasions over a couple of days he stated his solidarity with GLAAD. I predict a further steady drift into post modern, moral relativism by Beck and eventually he will become a thorn in the side of the conservative movement. If not, whatever is in the envelope will be great entertainment on cable TV until he disappears.

peacenprosperity on January 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM

peacenprosperity on January 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I haven’t heard more than a stray half hour of his show in quite a while. The only thing I heard that was anything indicative is that he’s being “challenged” by his daughter from his first marriage.

I’m not staunchly anti-collectivist, but just for classification, anti-defamation groups are collectivist. Also, where they act to change the state, their goal is to get the government to act to “chill” speech. Again, I’m not a first-amendment purist, but the standard of “chilling” speech is the court’s own standard on the first amendment.

They aren’t “anti-slander” groups, permissible because slander is against many laws, they don’t want you to defame the people of their group, which often amounts to anything they don’t like, as when the JAL declaimed Beck when he simply quoted Soros (a Jew) on how Soros assisted the Nazis or when he tried to alarm people of Jewess Piven’s writing.

Axeman on January 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM