Wendy Davis writes open letter about her biography, doesn’t address the lying parts

posted at 9:21 pm on January 21, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Wendy Davis’ “open letter” on the discrepancies with her biography, reported by the Dallas Morning News, doesn’t actually address any of the discrepancies. Allahpundit touched on this, but the missive illustrates just how much a vote for Wendy Davis (the relatively few there will be) isn’t a vote for a candidate who’s going to do any particular thing as governor, but a vote for a sort of larger truth. Sure, her story might be a little fake, but doesn’t it accurately reflect a bunch of other people’s stories, which are the driving force behind this campaign? To paraphrase another doomed campaigner, “I’m not a liar. I’m you.”

Dear Friend,

As our campaign has gained momentum, our opponents have gotten more and more desperate. But now they’ve stooped to a new low by attacking my family, my education, and my personal story – playing politics with the journey that has been my life.

Mine is a story about a teenage single mother who struggled to keep her young family afloat. It’s a story about a young woman who was given a precious opportunity to work her way up in the world. It’s a story about resiliency, and sacrifice, and perseverance.

And you’re damn right it’s a true story.

See, that’s the thing. It’s not, and she’s admitted it to the Morning News: “In an extensive interview last week, Davis acknowledged some chronological errors and incomplete details in what she and her aides have said about her life.”

Throughout this campaign, I’ve shared that story – not because it’s unique, but because it isn’t.

The story of my life is also the story of millions of single mothers who feel alone in the world, millions of young dreamers searching for their chance to become something more than what they were born into, millions of families all across Texas who would sacrifice everything to give their children a better future.

It’s those stories – your stories – that drive my campaign. But Greg Abbott and his allies don’t want to hear them. They don’t have anything to offer Texans who find themselves in the same difficult situation I was in when I was young. They would slam the doors I walked through and pull up the ladders I was lucky to be able to climb.

And now, instead of offering real ideas to improve your life, they’re attacking mine.

It’s a good thing she’s got extra stories to drive the campaign that she can slot in as soon as hers gets fact-checked. My story’s yours, your story’s mine, and we’re all living one struggle that I understand because I’ve been there, man, despite having lied about being there.

It won’t work. The only thing Greg Abbott and his allies have proved with these desperate attacks is that they don’t understand what it means to live a life like mine – a life like that of so many people all across our state.

They don’t know me – and, what’s more important, they don’t know you.

I’m not surprised that the Abbott campaign would resort to attacking the story of a single mother who worked hard to get ahead.

And I’m not afraid of their false attacks – I developed thick skin long before anyone knew my name.

You don’t know my life! It’s not Greg Abbott who unearthed and reported this information. And, the attacks aren’t false. Her facts were false.

What I am is deeply proud of the life I’ve built and the daughters I’ve raised – and deeply grateful to the many, many people who have shared their stories and offered their support as I’ve traveled our state.

No false attack can take away my story. And no sleazy political trick will stop me from giving voice to yours.

Your stories are why I’m running for Governor. And together, I know we’ll make sure that the Texas we leave to our children is a place where every young mother can build a better life for her child. . . where every family can work their way up the economic ladder. . . where every Texan can achieve their dreams and live out their own success story.

If you’re with me, click here and add your name to my letter as a sign of support. Together, we’ll break through these attacks, win this election, and make Texas even greater.

Wendy

“No false attack can take away [her] story,” but a decent fact-checking took away a few of the juicy parts. Throw her some cash, so she can have all of your stories once she’s an MSNBC contributor, Texas.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Over

Bmore on January 21, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Oh, hey, speaking of abortion, check this out. It looks like various members of Planned Parenthood like to hide their real occupation when making political donations. For example:

Cecilia Boone of Austin, TX, chairman of Planned Parenthood Foundation of America, lists her occupation as homemaker on her donation of $2600 to Sen Hagan.

Aimee Boone, VP of Development for Planned Parenthood of North Texas, lists her occupation as “retired” for her donation of $2500 and there are several more listed here:

This is important because one is required to list their employer in their donations so that one can see how much a candidate has received from companies and employees as certain industries. While the linked article is concerning Kay Hagan’s campaign, it might be worthwhile to see if these people have also done the same thing to try to hide the influence of Planned Parenthood on other candidates.

crosspatch on January 21, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Yo Honey…. if ya would of kept your legs closed it would of been the end of the story… huh

roflmmfao

donabernathy on January 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM

the daughters I’ve raised

You only partially raised your second daughter. Ambition was a greater allure for you. But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good lie.

Patriot Vet on January 21, 2014 at 11:57 PM

So, she whored out to an older guy who financed her legal education at Harvard, while he kept her children and she spread the legs for all manner of other guys, and then left her financier/husband on the day he paid off her student loans. Somebody should ask her, “If you had it do all over again, wouldn’t it have been better if you went ahead and aborted your kids?”

TXUS on January 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM

You’ll know it’s really hotting up when she hires Gloria Allred…

bofh on January 22, 2014 at 12:14 AM

What I am is deeply proud of the life I’ve built my second husband paid for and the daughters I’ve raised that I shunted off onto my second husband to raise – and deeply grateful to the many, many people who have shared their stories and offered their support as I’ve traveled our state.

No false attack Only basic fact checks and reporting can take away my story. And no sleazy political trick will stop me from giving voice to yours.

Your stories are why I’m running for Governor. And together, I know we’ll make sure that the Texas we leave to our the children we bother to carry to term and don’t kill in the womb is a place where every young mother with a sugar daddy who puts her through Harvard Law School just before she divorces him on the day after he finishes paying off her student loans can build a better life for her child self. . . where every family can work their way up the economic ladder. . . where every Texan can achieve their dreams and live out their own success story.

Wendy

I fixed it for you.

Theophile on January 22, 2014 at 12:36 AM

The pro-life movement is the major reason for the destruction of the family today.

thuja on January 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Oh come on, really? You really believe that? Thats like blaming it on the gay marriage movement. The correct answer is “no fault” divorce aka frivorce and feminism.

oryguncon on January 22, 2014 at 12:39 AM

The story of my life is also the story of millions of single mothers who feel alone in the world…millions of families all across Texas who would sacrifice everything to give their children a better future…

I’m not surprised that the Abbott campaign would resort to attacking the story of a single mother who worked hard to get ahead…

What I am is deeply proud of the life I’ve built and the daughters I’ve raised…

Here’s the problem: you didn’t do any of that. You got rid of your kids as quickly as you could because it “wasn’t a good time” for you to take care of them. You didn’t sacrifice for them, you didn’t raise them. You worked and prostituted yourself as hard as you could to get away from them.

You’re disgusting, and I am sure they are better off away from you.

Sockpuppet Politic on January 22, 2014 at 12:49 AM

She just is another bag of bullsh*t spouting her dragons breath of hot air to further her dastardly ambition.

losarkos on January 22, 2014 at 2:02 AM

Skank.

Kenosha Kid on January 22, 2014 at 2:19 AM

And you’re damn right it’s a true story.

It depends on what the meaning of it’s is.

Maybe the “it’s” refers to some other story (a true one).

Sherman1864 on January 22, 2014 at 2:40 AM

Someone suggested yesterday – and I am sorry I’ve forgotten who and where, because it’s great – that Abbott should from now on only refer to her as “my opponent, Wendy Davis – if that is her real name …”

This gal is positively empowered by her victimhood, and that is so inspiring to the radical feminists that they don’t even mind the story is faked. She’s doubling down, now, even attempting to turn the issue around on Abbott, who is more of the victim than she is since she was running against him with a false narrative and it wasn’t him who exposed it.

“How dare you say my made-up bio isn’t real? It’s real to ME, and no stooge of the patriarchy is going to tell me it didn’t happen just the way I imagined it!”

“In Wendy Davis’ Texas, you don’t need cojones to dream!”

I think I’m gonna barf.

Adjoran on January 22, 2014 at 2:55 AM

Just another scumbag. Dime a dozen.

John the Libertarian on January 22, 2014 at 3:42 AM

That she gave her first daughter to her second husband is the most disturbing thing I learned. She is self absorbed and couldn’t be bothered with parenting. That is unforgiveable.

bopbottle on January 22, 2014 at 3:50 AM

Waltz across Texas—-http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=waltz+accross+texas+with+ernest+tubb&FORM=VIRE8#view=detail&mid=A6E74B0CDC24D982C20FA6E74B0CDC24D982C20F

tmgrant on January 22, 2014 at 5:52 AM

bopbottle on January 22, 2014 at 3:50 AM

Wendy Davis is trash.

bluegill on January 22, 2014 at 6:14 AM

What’s the big deal? Sir Edmund Hillary Clinton lied.

What difference, at this point, does it make?

BigAlSouth on January 22, 2014 at 6:46 AM

What a cunning stunt!

At least that is how the Brits would put it…

ajacksonian on January 22, 2014 at 6:50 AM

TXUS on January 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Is this the same second ex-husband who paid to turn her from a young Anthony Weiner with rib balloons into a soulless baby-killing advocate who looked reasonably good on the outside?

Maddie on January 22, 2014 at 7:09 AM

the daughters I’ve raised

With the help of her wealthy lawyer second husband, and their nanny.

But isn’t that true of all struggling single mothers?

And you have to hand it to Wendy, it takes some real chutzpah to accuse your paraplegic opponent of not understanding what it is to struggle in life!

AZCoyote on January 22, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Media scrutiny: Wendy Davis. Sarah Palin. Compare / Contrast.

Talk amongst yourselves.

SAMinVA on January 22, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Wait… if I’m supposed to vote for her because she’s not herself, she’s ME, wouldn’t it make a lot more sense to just write in myself?

Let’s face it, if being me is my reason to vote for a particular someone, how wouldn’t the best someone actually BE me?

Dirty Creature on January 22, 2014 at 8:42 AM

bluegill on January 22, 2014 at 6:14 AM

In her honor, today I’m goin to Wendy’s for lunch and get something hot and juicy . . .

BigAlSouth on January 22, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Her life story could be written as a spin off to the long running and revived night time soap Dallas. She and Fauxcahontas could have been sisters making up life stories as they grew up together, dreaming of bigger and better things. Is anything ever real with Dems?

Kissmygrits on January 22, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Media scrutiny: Wendy Davis. Sarah Palin. Compare / Contrast.

Talk amongst yourselves.

SAMinVA on January 22, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Davis shown to be a liar, Palin shown to be pretty much squeaky clean.

ddrintn on January 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Writing about Wendy Davis, whom we all knew had no chance of becoming governor of Texas even before this revelation about her lying, is not a subject that is going to win a single voter–a single voter!–to the conservative cause. It just riles up the pro-lifers and makes them more obnoxious to the majority of voters. We need to stop talking about this Wendy Davis loser before it makes us into losers.

thuja on January 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM

“Leave my pro-abort buddy alone!!!”

ddrintn on January 22, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Back in 1996, Wendy Davis publicly admitted that she was ‘mentally damaged’ … This was perhaps the only truth that she has ever told in her life.

Pork-Chop on January 22, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Sugar Daddy. Opportunity availability largely based on appearance.

It’s a story about resiliency, and sacrifice, and perseverance.

Right, just not yours.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2014 at 10:19 AM

She is the ultimate nightmare for Democrats, she is clearly imploding, yet they can’t force her out given she is a militant feminist with whom they are courting.

Tater Salad on January 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Amazing how in a few short years they can make a leap to a somewhat reasonable (D) gov candidate in Bill White to this tramp—indication of how deeply and quickly this country has fallen.

hillsoftx on January 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I am … deeply proud of … the daughters I’ve raised

Um, no. You didn’t raise them, your ex-husband did.

GWB on January 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Wendy Davis, like Barach Obama and Elizabeth Warren, all have to keep the story they told to admissions at Harvard Law, straight and private. Need to EXPUNGE those records quickly if they are hanging around in the archives.

Fleuries on January 22, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Tater Salad on January 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Ehh, I’ve always thought she’d be the internet message board train wreck everyone slows down for but in November she won’t even be on the ticket. Unless the Texas Democrat Party just doesn’t care. It would be a hoot if the leaks were coming from the Dems. “The phone calls are coming from within the house!”

Marcus on January 22, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Davis/Fluke –2016…because Hillary is soooo yesterday…

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 11:01 AM

LOL. It was probably those two months she spent living in the trailer park (in between divorce from husband no. 1 and being financially supported by husband no. 2) that did it to her!

That’s a level of hardship no one could be expected to endure without significant mental damage.

AZCoyote on January 22, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Sorry, Wendy… all over but the crying now.

morganfrost on January 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I wonder who doee her caths

texasgoat on January 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Is it fair to say that Wendy Davis’ campaign is an abortion?

bw222 on January 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Tater Salad on January 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Kind of like Todd Adkins was for the GOP when the Huckster talked him into staying in the race.

bw222 on January 22, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Biographies killed Muhammed Ali.

rogerb on January 22, 2014 at 11:44 AM

It’s a story about resiliency, and sacrifice, and perseverance.

Meaning of course:
resiliency – When my first husband divorced me, I found a new sugar-daddy to pay the bills.
sacrifice – I sacrificed my own kids so I could get ahead.
perseverence – I spread my legs for years for anyone offering money or grades in exchange for services rendered.

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM

oryguncon on January 22, 2014 at 12:39 AM

thuja is not far off…it’s the mentality of the people who support and defend those ideas at all costs.

The gay movement, it’s not the “gay’s”, it’s the mentality of the people who think things like the Folsom Street Parade is acceptable and mainstream.

I know it takes a little effort to look past the “label”, but the label is just shorthand for their thoughts, beliefs, ideals of what a family should be.

People like Wendy Davis are a threat to the American family, just ask the children who she supports to be killed in the womb…oh wait, you can’t ask them…

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 11:58 AM

What do the reporters who broke these stories think of Davis’ incessant assertion that somehow Greg Abbott’s campaign is behind each and every one?

It’s not like any of this information was particularly difficult to discover.

It seems to me that it’s not wise of her to continue to insult the integrity of the people who are discovering it. Ink by the barrel, etc.

Missy on January 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM

hillsoftx on January 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I think it’s more of an indication of the impossibility of a Dem winning the governor’s race in TX. She’s the only candidate they have because no other Dem wanted to waste his time.

Missy on January 22, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Pork-Chop on January 22, 2014 at 10:19 AM

It appears to me that someone might have a temperament unsuited to public “service”. But I will enjoy watching how nicely those pink tennypumps (sic?) fit in her mouth.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM

bopbottle on January 22, 2014 at 3:50 AM

Whoooaaa … hold the phone there a second.

I think we should use this against her, in a reciprocal way, by praising her for it.

A fake/parody campaign ad for Wendy Davis could be like this:

“Wendy Davis sacrificed her motherhood for the greater good of society.
She did it, so she could save Texas, and ultimately the country, from suffering further restrictions on abortions. Most women could never bring themselves to make such a sacrifice. Could YOU make that sacrifice?

Wendy Davis, a genuine American hero.”

It doesn’t have to be worded verbatim, but you get the idea.

listens2glenn on January 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM

MKH –
Spend a moment with the rank misogyny driving much of this.
Just read through comments in the (now) 3 posts at HA on all of this.
‘Whore’,'Slut’.
Do you truly find absolutely nothing at all to admire in Wendy Davis?
She wasn’t a young enough mom for you? Her getting to Harvard was expected and easy?
I’m sure you’d find plenty enough to object to in the policies she’d pursue and advocate for.
And you could do that fine without jumping on this bandwagon.

(And if she did end up on MSNBC, you find something objectionable about chasing after the cable news punditry bucks?)

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

What’s to admire in Wendy Davis, verbaluce? Her rampant infidelity? Her total selfishness? The fact she used other people? Her utter callousness in dumping her children on someone else? That she used, solely for his money?

I’m failing to see what is so admirable about Wendy Davis. Her policies are abhorrent, her life is a paradigm example of what is disgusting about the liberal lifestyle.

She has an allergy to the truth. What is there to admire? Name one redeeming quality of Wendy Davis.
She IS, quite literally, a whore and a slut. She sold her body to men, one of whom she married just so she could milk money from him. She committed rampant infidelity. How, exactly, is she not a whore or a slut? If those terms cannot be applied to Wendy Davis, who can they be applied to? Demeaning? I would say accurate.

If those names hurt her, maybe she shouldn’t be a whore or a slut.

Vanceone on January 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM

If those names hurt her, maybe she shouldn’t be a whore or a slut.

Vanceone on January 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Welllll, in all fairness now Vance, which one is she – a whore or a slut? She can’t really be both. One gets paid for her services, the other gives them for free.
Well, then, I guess we know which one she is afterall – since she traded her services for college tuition…..

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2014 at 2:01 PM

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Don’t hang on to a few comments to cover the basic view of this woman. She is a narcissist who has used others to get a head without acknowledgement. Maybe she wouldn’t be receiving so much heat if she had not included struggling young mother working her way through college and law school in her log cabin (single wide) story. She has twice abandoned her role of mother for her benefit. I’ve noticed that people in Texas seem to be very proud of everything Texas has to offer……I am sure that holds true for their law schools. But you may be right, let’s see how those folks in Texas warm up to this narrative.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Sugar Daddy, just like Hillary

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM

And I posted elsewhere that broads are always so upset they cannot find a man to commit. I spoke of their sisters giving it away for free, and at the drop of a hat. Why would a man commit.

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM

But remember that those men are “giving it away for free,” as well.

bmmg39 on January 22, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Pregnant teenage girls should get abortions instead of doing a crappy job of raising children.

thuja on January 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I submit that killing your child is the definition of a crappy job raising it.

The Schaef on January 22, 2014 at 4:29 PM

But remember that those men are “giving it away for free,” as well.

bmmg39 on January 22, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Yes, but they also have no plans on commitment, so the girl trying to get her hooks into that kind of man via her vagina isn’t going to work out too well.

Spliff Menendez on January 22, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Do you truly find absolutely nothing at all to admire in Wendy Davis?
. . .

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I admire her horizontal talents.

Oh, and Verbie, nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. Does not make one a “misogynist.”

BigAlSouth on January 22, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Spend a moment with the rank misogyny driving much of this.

That more closely describes your typical Palin thread at HuffPo.

Just read through comments in the (now) 3 posts at HA on all of this.
‘Whore’,’Slut’.

Again, ever read proggie replies to a Palin tweet? The range seems to stop at “f*ck you, you ignorant c*nt”.

Do you truly find absolutely nothing at all to admire in Wendy Davis?

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Maybe her shrewdness in dumping her husband the day after he pays off her debt? And dumping her kids? Yeah, really admirable there.

ddrintn on January 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I’m failing to see what is so admirable about Wendy Davis.

Vanceone on January 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM

She’s a pro-abort Ivy League Democrat who played the media like a fiddle for a while. That’s it.

ddrintn on January 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Today, Davis announced a new part of her platform to help single mothers make a better life for themselves.

“If elected, I will immediately start a program to match financially secure gentlemen with single mothers-the working title of the progam is SugarDaddy.com. For single mothers who are physically challenged in the appearance department we hope to develop a new program with Texas Medical Schools and Plastic Surgery traning programs to provide low cost or free appearance enhancement surgery. Until the surgery is complete, the state will assist mothers with electronically enhancing their images for the website. I hope this will enable many Texas women to follow in my footsteps.”

talkingpoints on January 22, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Do you truly find absolutely nothing at all to admire in Wendy Davis?

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Wait, aren’t y’all still playing Trent Lott rules?

rogerb on January 22, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Following in the footsteps of Clinton & Obama, she’s going to make a ‘great’ president…because people are stupid enough to vote for her…

If Americans will vote for a man who admitted to being tutored by a Communist, mentored by a racist hate-spewing ‘pastor’, & voted for him a 2nd time after he helped Al Qaeda – perpetrators of 9/11/01 – take over Lib a the Muslim Brotherhood take over Egypt THEY WILL VOTE FOR ANYONE!

easyt65 on January 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Do you truly find absolutely nothing at all to admire in Wendy Davis?

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Ohhhhhhwallright . . . . . . . . . . . ( heavy S i g h ) . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

She successfully filibustered against an abortion bill, that she opposed. Yes, I understand that she used a catheter ‘n’ bag for urinary function, but that’s still quite a feat.
Good ’nuff ?

listens2glenn on January 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Do you truly find absolutely nothing at all to admire in Wendy Davis?

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Here . . . . . evergreen‘s comment from yesterday, … again :

Getting a sugar daddy who’ll also be a real daddy for your inconvenient children while you lobby for murdering babies… now that’s livin’ the feminist dream.

evergreen on January 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM

That comment is “dead-nuts-right-on the mark”, and the person it describes has earned all of the disgust, contempt, and disrespect we’ve been giving her.

listens2glenn on January 22, 2014 at 9:53 PM

talkingpoints on January 22, 2014 at 8:20 PM

ROFL!!!
Beeeeaaautiful!

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Harvard Whore Gimmedat running for govenor in Texas … somehow political events and the politicans in them just keep amazing us all.
I can see the Gimmedats losing ground this fall … big time.
Place your bets: Will King Putt give a visit to help the Harvard Whore?

Missilengr on January 23, 2014 at 1:12 AM

I haven’t been to enthused about this upcoming election cycle, given my senator is Cornyn (who is likely to survive his primary challenge) and my rep is a go-along to get-along GOP squish, but I am *very* enthused to turn out to vote against Abortion Barbie. She is going to get crushed, and I am going to love being a part of it.

thirteen28 on January 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM

‘CLINTON – DAVIS 2014!
!!!WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!

If America can vote into the oval office a son of an Anti-Colonialist America-hating Muslim, an admitted Communist-tutored, racist hate-spewing anti-American ‘pastor’, narcissistic, Islamic Extremist/Terrorist-sympathizing, Socialistic, pathelogical liar

…then they can surely elect these 2!

easyt65 on January 23, 2014 at 3:47 PM

(racist hate-spewing anti-American ‘pastor’-MENTORED)

easyt65 on January 23, 2014 at 3:49 PM