Wendy Davis: My paraplegic opponent Greg Abbott “hasn’t walked a day in my shoes”

posted at 6:41 pm on January 21, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via Andrew Stiles, I’m reluctant to give any virtual ink to this sure-loser’s candidacy/MSNBC tryout, but conservative Twitter’s burning up over this comment and I feel obliged:

Wendy Davis is under fire following a Dallas Morning News report that found a number of factual discrepancies in the personal narrative she has made a centerpiece of her long-shot campaign for Texas governor…

Davis said that for Abbott, who has been a paraplegic for nearly three decades, to question her story proves that he “hasn’t walked a day in my shoes.”

Intentional shot at Abbott’s disability? Nah, almost certainly not. Would intent matter, though, if it were a Republican who’d made a tin-eared but innocent remark like that? Nah, almost certainly not. Specifically, if someone had taken a cheap shot of that order at Davis herself, you’d never hear the end of it. John Sexton’s right:

Policy has next to nothing to do with her campaign, almost necessarily. You’re not going to win a straight-up “conservatives versus liberals” fight in Texas, especially when your claim to fame is filibustering an abortion law that most of the state supports while having bouquets thrown at you by lefties in the coastal media. The only way she wins is by turning the election into some sort of referendum on women in politics, and to do that she needs to seize every opportunity at victimhood. Men don’t understand her “story,” men don’t understand women’s ambitions, men don’t understand how important it is to be able to kill a baby in the womb in the third trimester. (Most women in Texas don’t understand that either.) Point is, the last thing she’d want to do when she’s setting up a “men versus women” ultimate victim narrative is give people a reason to see Greg Abbott as himself a victim of her campaign’s nasty cracks over his handicap. No way would they do it intentionally.

But again, who cares? Team Davis would never let a valuable slight like that slide, intended or not, so why give her a break? In fact, I’d say this is just as callous as the “walk in my shoes” remark and far more revealing of the basic defect in her campaign:

I’m reasonably sure a guy who’s spent nearly 30 years in a wheelchair can relate to struggle, but it’s telling that Team Victim still thinks they can win a “my life sucked even harder than yours” debate with someone like him. Sure, he was crippled and needed spinal surgery and extensive rehabilitation and overcame it all to become attorney general of Texas, but what hardship is that compared to a woman overcoming young motherhood to attend Harvard Law? That’s Davis-ism, though: When you vote for her, you’re not voting for Democratic policies so much as you’re voting to send a message about social progress and challenging old assumptions and empowering a type of candidate who would have stood no chance of winning in earlier days. (Ann Richards notwithstanding!) At least when Obama ran on that idea in 2008, he was sunny/hopey/changey about it. Davis just seems aggrieved. Anyway, I’ll try in the future to focus only on elections whose outcome is in doubt.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

stump speech

“My opponent cannot possibly relate to my struggles as I forced myself to marry and sleep with a man for his money. Only a woman coud understand the oppression I faced under those terrible circumstances. Of course I was willing to abandon my children to be free of him, even though I had asked my father to introduce us and basically ripped my ex off for hundreds of thousands of dollars to put me through college and law school. I basically turned myself into a whore to accomplish my dreams. Nobody knows the troubles I’ve seen…”

talkingpoints on January 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Nice group of donors she has there.

For some reason, I didn’t see any info for 2013.

bluefox on January 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM

she is soooo stupid, Aggie Polish blondes make fun of her.

cozmo on January 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM

OK I LOL’d. This is the bunch that sprays moroon graffiti on a chainlink fence.

RushBaby on January 21, 2014 at 8:23 PM

No, no, no. It doesn’t matter that she’s a sure loser. It matters that she’s a Democrat and leftist darling. Anything stupid she says should be hung around the necks of the entire party. Make Democrats in Boise, Milwaukee, Birmingham and every small or large town in the nation have to answer for what she says.

It’s what they do to conservatives all the time.

CJ on January 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Is she running for governor or auditioning for a spot on MSNBC?

PackerBronco on January 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Wait ’till she goes into the Eagle Ford Shale areas of South Texas — the Hispanic-majority Eagle Ford Shale areas of South Texas — and has to start talking about hydraulic oilfield fracking without alienating either all those in the area who are far better off financially now than 6-7 years ago, while at the same time not angering Wendy’s militant out-of-state supporters (and the corroboration between the bi-coastal big donor militant pro-abortionists and the bi-coastal big donor militant anti-fracking crowd may not quite be 100 percent, but it’s pretty close).

jon1979 on January 21, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I related and explained the headline to my non-political wife.

First words out of her mouth: “Did you SAY she was blonde?!”

questionmark on January 21, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Is she running for governor or auditioning for a spot on MSNBC?

PackerBronco on January 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Whoever appears stupid enough to want her, which I’m hoping will be MSDNC. Texans appear to be smart people.

This shriveled opportunist makes Hillary Clinton look like a nun. Is this the new feminist democrat model 2.0? Ugh.

kim roy on January 21, 2014 at 8:43 PM

jon1979 on January 21, 2014 at 8:41 PM

She ain’t goin’ any where that ain’t totally safe. She will spend more time out of state than on the campaign trail in Texas.

cozmo on January 21, 2014 at 8:47 PM

From the ‘Wendy Davis autobiography revision’ thread, earlier:

Getting a sugar daddy who’ll also be a real daddy for your inconvenient children while you lobby for murdering babies… now that’s livin the feminist dream.

evergreen on January 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM

listens2glenn on January 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM

This evil beyotch will NEVER EVER be my governor. Texas is NOT turning blue anytime soon. ABORTION BARBIE IS TOAST!

neyney on January 21, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Well played AP, well played…lol

rightConcept on January 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM

davidk on January 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM

“Dog bites man.”
“Predictable” is an understatement.

listens2glenn on January 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Just to complete the record, he was elected to and served on the Texas Supreme Court before running for and getting elected AG. A stellar resume, for sure, and he did it all without a sugar momma paying for his legal education.

TXUS on January 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM

(Ann Richards notwithstanding!)

Remember, Ann Richards was a fluke who should not have won. She only won because her opponent was an idiot who said the worst possible thing while running against her.

Theophile on January 21, 2014 at 10:32 PM

A commercial I’d love to see.

Abbott looking into a camera, very serious and factual.
“Some have said that I don’t understand the plight of single mothers. So some don’t know my record on child support enforcement as Texas AG. Or….Or…”
As the camera fades out, revealing his wheelchair
“How I have fought for the disabled in Texas…..”
Further fade, revealing he is wearing pink tennis shoes.
“I may have never walked a day in pink shoes, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know how to overcome heartache and suffering.”

gonnjos on January 21, 2014 at 10:47 PM

She and Obama have the same fatal flaw. They actually believe their own press. I haven’t heard one Texan gush over her. As a matter of fact, I have never heard one Texan claim to even know her (not including her constituents who belittle her quite often in their published comments.)

jazzuscounty on January 21, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Would those be the rhetorically abortion blood stained pink shoes?

RJL on January 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Stop being so hard on poor Wendy. Sure, Greg Abbot can’t use his legs, but Wendy’s a woman! Don’t you know how hard that is?

Kevin M on January 22, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Reprise because it’s just so perfect:

stump speech

talkingpoints on January 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM

mountainaires on January 22, 2014 at 6:35 AM

You know what a real struggle is?

Trying to stay alive while someone pumps saline into your cranium.

DavidM on January 22, 2014 at 9:11 AM

“Stand up Greg, take a bow…wait…”

Thank you Joe Biden for one of the best sound bites evah by a liberal…

right2bright on January 22, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Waiting for her to accuse Mr Abbott of ‘tap-dancing around the issues‘ in 3…2…1…

orangemtl on January 22, 2014 at 10:18 AM

The bleach has seeped into her brain.

Tater Salad on January 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM

rogerb on January 21, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Very interesting.

GWB on January 22, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Sooo … a prositute that abandoned her child and whose fame is derived from advocacy for abortion. Some of the women in Harris and Dallas Counties will vote for her, but that’s about it. And I can envision some of the north Tarrant County ladies driving with the maid in the King Ranch F250 to go vote against her.

M240H on January 22, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Those spikey heels? They take a lot of work.

Fleuries on January 22, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Dash nab I forgot the funny link.

Woman hit boyfriend with shoe.

Fleuries on January 22, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Harvard Law?

rjoco1 on January 22, 2014 at 11:33 AM

“Stand up, Chuck”

cptacek on January 22, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Those spikey heels? They take a lot of work.

Fleuries on January 22, 2014 at 11:12 AM

But not so much if they’re always up in the air….

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Harvard Law?

rjoco1 on January 22, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Perhaps Wendy baby IS partisanhack…..

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Got it!    She’s going for Debbie WazzerName’s job for the DNC.

TerryW on January 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Did she really dump her sugar daddy as soon as the last check to Harvard cleared? I’ve only heard that on FOX.

Rancher on January 21, 2014 at 6:56 PM

That was straight from the Sugar Daddy’s mouth.

Wendya on January 21, 2014 at 6:59 PM

M240H on January 22, 2014 at 11:11 AM

For all who haven’t seen it yet (I’ve been re-posting it in every Davis thread, since), check out the re-post of a comment by “evergreen” from an earlier Davis thread.

listens2glenn on January 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM

It says it all, with the barest minimum of words.

listens2glenn on January 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Aw geez Allah. You’re just no fun anymore.

NOMOBO on January 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Is she running for governor or auditioning for a spot on MSNBC?

PackerBronco on January 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM

I believe there are types of dumb; dumb and dirt dumb. Wendy is level two. MSNBC would qualify as her stepping stone to a presidential run. She has all the qualities and aptitude of the one we have now.

onomo on January 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Looks likes Verbie isn’ t going to try a half-hearted defense this time.

itsspideyman on January 22, 2014 at 1:58 PM

My paraplegic opponent Greg Abbott “hasn’t walked a day in my shoes”

OTOH – Has she rolled through a day in his wheelchair?

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Oh for C’s sake, Allah.
This is silly.
Oh sure…you really think she was mocking Abbot with that.

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM

No – she’s just that clueless.

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Oh for C’s sake, Allah.
This is silly.
Oh sure…you really think she was mocking Abbot with that.

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM

You are so stupid you don’t even read the posts before you type your stupid comments. Congrats on being stupid. At least your stupidity waited until the thread was basically shut down so everybody didn’t get to see how stupid you really are. But then again your legendary stupidity is legendary.

Spliff Menendez on January 22, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Wendy Davis is 2014′s Christie O’Donnell.

Period… End of story….

zdpl0a on January 22, 2014 at 5:18 PM

verbaluce on January 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM

F’ing moron. Of course she was.

hawkdriver on January 22, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Wendy Davis is 2014′s Christie O’Donnell.

Period… End of story….

zdpl0a on January 22, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I don’t mind you disagreeing with Christine O’Donnell, but the comparison between her and Wendy Davis doesn’t “wash”, with those of us who pay attention to politics.
Ever since her successful filibuster, Wendy has been supported by the ‘Democrat machine’, which includes the so-called “professional journalists”.

Christine O’Donnell was forsaken by the ‘Republican establishment’ from day one. In fact, I don’t think it’s unfair or exaggerating to say that the ‘Republican establishment’ treated her worse than they would have any Democrat. Also, she certainly never got any good coverage from or by the local, friendly neighborhood journalists.

listens2glenn on January 22, 2014 at 9:15 PM

“they don’t understand these Texas stories of struggle”…

I don’t understand either. Was the Battle of the Alamo between pro-life and pro-choice? Who got to wear the cool sneaks?

Tell Sam Houston, William B. Travis, Jim Bowie, and Davey Crockett about “struggle.”

Idiot.

NoPain on January 23, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Nor has she walked in his shoes. Nor has he worn her bra, nor she his jock and hygienically that is all well and good, so what is the point? That he didn’t use his wife to attain an education and turn his back on his family then campaign on the inconvenience of infants?

bour3 on January 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM