NFL commissioner: Maybe we’ll get rid of extra points after touchdowns

posted at 11:21 am on January 21, 2014 by Allahpundit

A plea for more excitement in the game from the man who ended instant sudden death in overtime. Extra points are almost automatic already, he notes — just five misses this season in 1,267 attempts — so why not make them truly automatic? The new plan:

“You want to add excitement with every play,” Goodell said. “So there have been some proposals. Some are still going through the process of creativity, but there’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about (where) it’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball. But if you fail, you’d go back to six.”

I spent five seconds after reading that trying to game out how the rule change would affect strategy before realizing that what he’s describing is … exactly the way the game is played now. The only difference under the new scheme is that five or so missed PATs per year would be eliminated, pushing the success rate for seven-point TDs from 99.6 to a cool 100. How does that add more excitement? Right now, there’s a very slim chance that someone will blow a crucial game-tying extra point. Goodell would actually reduce the amount of unpredictability in the game (slightly) by taking that away.

If you want to liven up the PAT, there’s an obvious solution: Move it way, way back. TDs would remain six points but afterward coaches would have a choice. Either go for two from the two-yard line or try a 45-yard kick for the extra point. If your goal is more excitement then you should be increasing the incentive for teams to try two-point conversions by decreasing the incentive for them to kick instead — and if they do kick, you want some real suspense in whether they’ll make it. I’d be all for it, but I realize that the first time a team loses by a point because their kicker missed the PAT by six feet, their fans would be screaming bloody murder and demanding the return of the chip-shot PAT. That’s why we can’t have nice things, America. Discard your childish traditions! Click the image to watch.

rg1

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Actually, shortening the distance between the uprights would go a long way toward making the PAT much more difficult and not so automatic.

HiJack on January 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Do you hear that sound?….it’s the death rattle of the NFL.

When they started wearing Pink that’s when you knew it was over. I guess we better start liking Soccer.

Progressives and their meddling in all things (climate, sports, diet, personal and corporate finances, shower heads, toilet flushing capacity, pissy little faucets) just take the fun out of life.

PappyD61 on January 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Omaha…!

Seven Percent Solution on January 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM

PappyD61 on January 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM

You better hurry, then. USMNT vs Ghana is June 16. At least soccer lets the big dogs play, whereas youth football bans big kids from playing QB, RB, TE and WR. If they make an interception or recover a fumble, they have to take a knee, lest the little kids get injured. Whimps.

Christien on January 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

This is what happens when you have business men who are not necessarily fans of the game try to make it “better”

What they really need to do, is re-evaluate their refs, after srewing all the calls they did in the playoffs.

ConservativePartyNow on January 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Omaha…!
Seven Percent Solution on January 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM

No kidding.

Galtian on January 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM

HiJack on January 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM

That was my first thought as well. The one time I agree with ‘moving the goalposts.’

James on January 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I have more coworkers excited about World Cup play and have never shown much enthusiasm when it comes to American football. In a couple of cases, it appears to be good looking fit hunks in shorts running around on the field that is the attraction.

So if there is a lesson learned here, its that in some cases, the NFL could attract more fans if ALL the players were covered up less and looked more like David Beckham among others “hot” looking soccer players.

hawkeye54 on January 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Please Goddell do not change the game..It is already the most viewed show on TV..If it is not broke don’t continue to tinker with it..:)

Dire Straits on January 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Buncha narcissists that always have to have attention focused on them in that “look at me!” moment, and are certainly not discouraged from acting that way.

hawkeye54 on January 21, 2014 at 1:03 PM

A big reason Emmitt Smith earned my respect (even though I’m not a Dallas fan). He once was asked about why he never did any dances or celebrations after getting a TD and he said something like “Because that’s what I’m paid to do, so I did my job by getting into the end zone, and I expect to be back again.”

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I’ve ALWAYS been a Dallas fan, but this is precisely why Emmitt is one of my favorites and one of the all-time greats.

Coach Landry, (RIP) when asked a similar question, responded that he thought scoring touchdowns should be common-place, i.e. why should you act like you’ve never done it before and don’t expect to do it again?

questionmark on January 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM

hawkeye54 on January 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Then they won’t want to miss USMNT vs Portugal June 26th in the heart of the Amazon. This guy just won the Ballon d’Or:

Cristiano Ronaldo (named after Reagan, btw)

Christien on January 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM

We could always play touch football, the rainbow people would be hip with that.

celtic warrior on January 21, 2014 at 1:48 PM

questionmark on January 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Yup.
Now, OTOH, I have nothing against TD celebrations either – considering professional sports are really nothing more than entertainment, so it should be entertaining.

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM

questionmark on January 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Also – I kind of liked the Cowboys for awhile – or at least Chad Henning – who came out of the same college I went to….

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM

We could always play touch football, the rainbow people would be hip with that.

celtic warrior on January 21, 2014 at 1:48 PM

But only if we don’t keep score, so EVERYONE wins.

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I guess we better start liking Soccer.

PappyD61 on January 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Well, there’s nothing more exciting than a 0-0 tie game.

Kafir on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

We could always play touch football, the rainbow people would be hip with that.

celtic warrior on January 21, 2014 at 1:48 PM

“They look like a bunch of Kansas City Fa*gots”

oops, sorry, that’s a Blazing Saddles quote. My bad

ToddPA on January 21, 2014 at 2:03 PM

But if you fail, you’d go back to six.

Take points off the board? Are you out of your mind?

A touchdown is, and always was, 6 pts.

A 2-pt. conversion is, and always was 2 pts.

If you want to eliminate the automatic one point-try, then do it. It’s football, quit trying to over think it.

Browndog on January 21, 2014 at 2:04 PM

How about we move the extra point back to the 30 yard line and make them drop kick it?

kozmocostello on January 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Maybe all PAT’s should be kicked from the kicker’s non-dominant leg. Or, with the ball laying flat on it’s side rather than point down. Or, maybe PAT’s should have to doink off an upright or the crossbar. Or, blindfold the kicker.

Then again, maybe they should stop messing with things. Man, I really dislike this commissioner.

BKeyser on January 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Well, there’s nothing more exciting than a 0-0 tie game.

Kafir on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Or more boring than a 3-0 blowout. I hate it when teams run up the score.

hawkeye54 on January 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Goodell should look into Lifestyle Lift…

dpduq on January 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Narrow the goal posts, move the 2 point pat back to the 40 yard line, or give them a 3 point play from 5 yards.

So the score is either 7, 9, or 10…

Pass another rule, no field goal less than 15 yards…so if they are on the 5 yard line, fourth down, they either move back to the 15 or go for the 7.

right2bright on January 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Kafir on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

hawkeye54 on January 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM

*booked*…*booked*

Christien on January 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM

They could change it to use rugby rules–you can kick it from as close or as far away as you like, but from the left-to-right spot on the field where the TD was scored. Score in the middle of the field and get an easy PAT, but score along the sidelines and it’s much more difficult. (They’d need to widen the hashes considerably–maybe to where they are in college football–for this to be an exciting change).

hicsuget on January 21, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Do you hear that sound?….it’s the death rattle of the NFL.

PappyD61 on January 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM

So true.

Check out hockey: plenty of physicality, speed, skill, excitement. And none of the rants we saw after the Seattle game.

francesca on January 21, 2014 at 2:29 PM

NO. It’s bad enough that he killed off sudden death overtime. Leave the PAT rules like they are.

Ward Cleaver on January 21, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Just wondering, Goodell, can you do something about dreadlocks?

If I were a defense coach, I’d be telling my guys “there ain’t no rule about hair-pulling in the NFL”

I think it would be hilarious to see a bunch of dead dreads’ all over the field at the end of the game, and a bunch of dudes sitting on the sidelines with ice packs on their skulls.

BobMbx on January 21, 2014 at 2:36 PM

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Good on ya!

I was enlisted AF.

Always wondered how Henning fit into a cockpit!

Cowboys did do well with a couple of those Academy Grads.

questionmark on January 21, 2014 at 2:39 PM

francesca on January 21, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Speaking of the NHL, like Sean McIndoe proposed last week, get rid of the loser point:

At a loss

Ward Cleaver on January 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Just wondering, Goodell, can you do something about dreadlocks?

BobMbx on January 21, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I wish I could remember what game I was watching this season, but somebody did lose some.

Ward Cleaver on January 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Always wondered how Henning fit into a cockpit!
Cowboys did do well with a couple of those Academy Grads.

questionmark on January 21, 2014 at 2:39 PM

A-10s have pretty roomy cockpits, as I understand it – but he is a BIG guy.
I’ve met him in person – and while I’m 6’1″ and 200 lbs – I felt small next to him.

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Ward Cleaver on January 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM

All I could think of was “Predator

Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Jason Babin played barber on Sunday, ripping the dreadlocks from Andre Ellington’s head in the third quarter of the Jaguars-Cardinals game.

This isn’t the first time a player has been brought down by his hair. In 2003, the NFL implemented a rule declaring that it’s legal to to grab a player’s hair anywhere on the field as it’s considered to be part of the uniform. In 2011, DeAngelo Williams complained about being tackled by the dreads, while Torrey Smith was famously dragged down by the dreads in a game against the Bengals.

BobMbx on January 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM

It’s called football for a reason!

bmmg39 on January 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Why not eliminate the extra point and make the two point conversion mandatory. Everybody goes for two all the time.

Aplombed on January 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I never liked the two-point conversion.

This is just being suggested to shorten the game even more, just as when they began re-starting the clock even after someone goes out of bounds (over 5:00 left in the half). There’s pressure to make these games shorter and shorter. They just haven’t thought to limit the number of commercials…

bmmg39 on January 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Well, there’s nothing more exciting than a 0-0 tie game.

Kafir on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I apologize for linking the crappiest video in the world, but until companies just post their stupid clips on YouTube and stop getting pissy about DMCA crap, the first 45 seconds is the best I can offer for The Simpsons re: soccer and ties.

The Schaef on January 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM

HOW ABOUT CALLING OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE INSTEAD BEFORE YOU RUIN THE GAME!!!!…

Pest on January 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Apologies if this was already suggested, but what if the NFL stole the NBA’s three-point line (1979-80) concept, and made extra points [and field goals] distance-specific:

10 yard line and closer: 1 point
20 yard line to 10 yard line: 2 points
30 yard line to 20 yard line: 3 points
40 yard line to 30 yard line: 4 points
50 yard line to 40 yard line: 5 points

When you add the 10 yards of end zone, and the seven-yard drop where the holder kneels, those kicks get pretty long.

VastRightWingConspirator on January 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM

The silliest thing I’ve seen at a game happened at the end of the Packers-Seahawks game last year. That was the game where Golden Tate wrestled (ahem) the ball away from the Packer defender for the game winning score as time ran out. After all the confusion going on with the teams and the replacement refs and replay officals trying to sort everything out and declare the TD, most of the players were in the locker room. The refs then made the PAT squads come out and kick the extra point even though it had no bearing on the final score. That was pretty dumb.

Mallard T. Drake on January 21, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Or

Make the field 110 yards long.
Make the field 65 yards wide.
Make the end zone 20 yards deep.
3 minute warning, instead of 2 minute
12 men on each side during game.
Eliminate 4th down, you only get 3 downs to make 10 yards.

That would make the game more exciting, ay?

Wallythedog on January 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM

VastRightWingConspirator on January 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM

And if you set a new NFL distance record with any kick – FG or PAT – you automatically win and the game is over…..
Hey, why not?

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 4:23 PM

10 yard line and closer: 1 point
20 yard line to 10 yard line: 2 points
30 yard line to 20 yard line: 3 points
40 yard line to 30 yard line: 4 points
50 yard line to 40 yard line: 5 points

I think Gary Zimmerman posited that in SI back in the 1980s. A letter to the editor pointed out the flaw:

The Denver Broncos lead the Los Angeles Raiders (as they were known then), 10-7, with under a minute to play. The Raiders are hoping to send the game into overtime with a field goal. A long pass is caught, and the Raider wide receiver goes out of bounds at the Denver six-yard-line with thirteen seconds left. Oops. The Raiders are too close for a three-point field goal, and so on the next play Marcus Allen runs 14 yards backwards so they can set up for the 37-yard field goal.

bmmg39 on January 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Mallard T. Drake on January 21, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Fail Mary Fail. He clearly did NOT “wrestle the ball away” before the whistle was blown and the play was over. He reached in an grabbed onto and held onto the ball a split second after the INT. Also, time had already expired while the pass in the air.

Christien on January 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Roger is to football as Obama is to healthcare or Brian France is to Nascar. When will these national nightmares end?

RickinNH on January 21, 2014 at 4:59 PM

bmmg39 on January 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Or he runs 6 yards forward for a TD and the win – or they lose the game.
So what’s the problem?

He11, if the score is only 10-7 with only a minute to go in the 4th – 1) it hasn’t been much of a game, 2) the Raiders haven’t done a whole heck of a lot up to that point.

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 5:00 PM

bmmg39 on January 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Also – how long was that last pass? If the scaled FG scoring was in effect, maybe they would have just kicked the 3 or 4 point FG instead of making the long pass.

But then I’m a Broncos fan, so I see no problem with the Raiders losing games…..

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 5:04 PM

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 5:00 PM

A 10-7 game can be better than a 37-34 game, and certainly better than a 42-7 game.

bmmg39 on January 21, 2014 at 5:08 PM

bmmg39 on January 21, 2014 at 5:08 PM

If you like defensive games.
I personally prefer higher scoring games.

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Bill Belichick was actually talking about this recently (getting rid of or changing the point after kick).

It is a obsolete function of the game that is only useful for pools where squares get paid off on a lead change. Either make it a play without a 99% success rate or get rid of it altogether.

He also hated the change in the kick-off rules which basically have resulted in it becoming a complete non-factor. Kicks don’t get returned because they’re 10 yards deep every time.

SittingDeadRed on January 21, 2014 at 5:34 PM

bmmg39 on January 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I hear you. But not much different from going in the middle of the hash marks to center the ball for the kicker… spiking the ball for a time-out… or intentionally giving up a safety.

Kind of like a basketball player moving into 3-point land for the winning basket. Adds a whole new element of strategy with the kicking game.

VastRightWingConspirator on January 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM

kozmocostello on January 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I LIKE that idea.

It seems to be a ‘lost art’ anymore.

Just something us “old-timers” talk about, occasionally.

listens2glenn on January 21, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Why do we have a national obsession with “fixing” everything that is just fine?

Tim Zank on January 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM

BobMbx on January 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Dreadlock Tackle?

Speaking of dreads, the 2-man Jamaica Bobsleigh team has qualified for the Scochi Olympics-but they don’t have any money to get there. Anyone with a hundred grand or so should give them a blast!

Del Dolemonte on January 21, 2014 at 8:00 PM

NFL commissioner: Maybe we’ll get rid of extra points after touchdowns

…how about…maybe not!
…oh I’m sorry…they’re being progressive!

KOOLAID2 on January 21, 2014 at 8:03 PM

What he really means is that the NFL needs more time for beer commercials, and that this is the way to get it.

Next it will be kick offs, and both teams will just start on the twenty.

Loser.

NoPain on January 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Agreed…it must be about money someway somehow. But looking at the national ratings (some local ratings have dropped for teams) I can’t see why that’s a concern? Maybe a fraction of a ratings point one way or another translates into millions I suppose.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 21, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Goddell is so lost with how to run the NFL. This is one of his biggest blunders to even suggest this.

Want to make things “exciting” Roger? Make the player who scores the TD, kick the extra point. Otherwise, leave the rules alone.

Freeloader on January 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Wallythedog, your suggestions made me think of how our neighboring country to the north is spelled: Ca-Na-D, Eh?

Mason on January 21, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Wanna make kicking more exciting? Easy. Just let the air out of it and play with a “flat” football.

TarheelBen on January 21, 2014 at 9:30 PM

…and allow a missed or blocked extra point to be returned by the defense, just like a field goal is allowed to be returned in Div I NCAA. Remember that one Alabama?

RMCS_USN on January 21, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I seem to recall that Condi Rice wants to be NFL commissioner…could be the trime is now

halfbaked on January 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM

The only eligible kickers should be players who have played [x] downs in the game. Force the teams to use kickers who can also play a position.

dedalus on January 21, 2014 at 10:59 PM

When did extra points become a problem? Is there really such an outcry to get rid of them…or, more likely, is it just Goodell wanting to leave his mark on the game, a mark other than being remembered for the ‘concussion’ era?

The game of football is and always has been ‘I am going to try to score a TD/extra point or a field goal, & you try to stop me…then it’s your turn.’ It’s not that complicated of a concept but takes talent to do. THAT is the game…just like baseball is hitting a stick and trying to round the bases to score. Take away the cases & you Ave CRICKET. Stop trying to kill the purity of the game to turn it into something it isn’t just to ‘make it more interesting’. If t isn’t interesting enough for you go watch hockey, rugby, MMA…whatever….but stop $crewing with football. …IMO…

easyt65 on January 21, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Stop $crewing with football. Football is 1 team trying to score a TD/extra point or a field goal and the other team trying to stop them. Taking away the extra point takes away from the purity of the same, of what it is. It’s like baseball is hitting a ball with a stick & running around bases to score…take away the bases & you’ve got CRICKET.

If football isn’t exciting enough for you, go watch hockey, rugby, or MMA…or go invent another sport…but leave football alone. My guess is Good ell wants to change the game to leave his mark on it, for something other than the concussion era.

Worry about better refs…not eliminating extra points!

easyt65 on January 22, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Put a foot and a half track on each end of the top of the crossbar. For extra points, use the tracks to move the goalposts three feet closer together. But only for visiting teams in domed stadiums.

Better yet, just allow the defenses to have 14 players on the field for the PATs, one of whom can start on the 20 to attack from the rear.

MrKleenexMuscles on January 22, 2014 at 1:14 AM

If it’s automatic, why not just move it back? Why leap right to eliminating it?

Ronnie on January 22, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Easy solution would be to just move the extra point kick back 20 or 30 yards. Don’t ruin the sport we all love.

Amazingoly on January 22, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Another “problem” that doesn’t need a solution. Can I have Pete Rozelle back please?

Mini-14 on January 22, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Dan Patrick had a good idea. Move the ball to the 1 yard line and either kick the PAT or run a play for 2-points. Moving the ball to the 1 yard line makes it much more enticing to go for 2.

crazywater on January 22, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Always good to clarify Jane Skinner’s standard in men; wealth. Cause it ain’t brains and certainly not looks.

budfox on January 22, 2014 at 10:28 AM

“You want to add excitement with every play,” Goodell said

Then get rid of Goodell and replays.

Wade on January 22, 2014 at 11:39 AM

For this the Commissioner is paid $29.5 million per year? Sign me up.

Mason on January 22, 2014 at 12:38 PM

How about we end the kicking all together?

If you can’t freaking score a touchdown, you shouldn’t be able to win.

HopeHeFails on January 22, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Since the NFL broadcasts only show the cheerleaders very briefly, usually while splashing some ad logos that obscure too much…

Let the team’s cheerleaders take the field against each other for PATs.

Yes, this would require travel for cheerleaders and perhaps paying them real money. As it is now I think the 3rd assistant to the assistant in charge of assisting the back-up, alternate clip board holder makes more than the entire cheerleading squad.

Oh, and figure out a way to train these players to actually hold a water bottle themselves, move the bottle up to their facemask, and squirt the water in their own mouths.

reaganaut on January 22, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I think Allahpundit stole my idea. I suggested that the conversions have to be done from the last line of possession. So if you do a hail Mary from 60 years out, you’d have to try for another hail Mary and the two-point conversion, because you couldn’t score the one-point from that far away.

JS on January 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Maybe we’ll get a new NFL Comissioner.

mojo on January 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Related to this conversation: An Animated Guide To American Football For Liberals, Ladies and Limeys

debbywitt on January 23, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Forget about this stupid change. The NCAA should clamp down on college football players who graduate from college and can’t read…………… and take phantom courses that don’t even exist.

SC.Charlie on January 23, 2014 at 2:35 PM