Davis campaign accuses reporter of taking orders from Abbott

posted at 8:41 am on January 21, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

The response from the Wendy Davis campaign to the exposure of her factually-challenged campaign biography and narrative as a single mom who put herself through law school turned out to be as inconsistent as the biography itself. At first, it appeared that the Texas Democrat would take the mea culpa route and apologize for her lack of clarity:

Texas state Sen. Wendy Davis, who is running for governor of Texas, has admitted that some of the public details about her personal history are incomplete or inaccurate, according to a report in the Dallas Morning News.

By the end of the day, though, Davis had changed her mind. Her gubernatorial campaign went on full attack, accusing Dallas Morning News reporter Wayne Slater of taking orders from the Greg Abbott campaign:

“We’re not surprised by Greg Abbott’s campaign attacks on the personal story of my life as a single mother who worked hard to get ahead,” Davis said in her statement. “But they won’t work, because my story is the story of millions of Texas women who know the strength it takes when you’re young, alone and a mother.”

Asked by POLITICO to point to specific attacks from Abbott, the current Texas attorney general, a Davis spokeswoman responded, “We’ve had reporters independently verify these attacks are coming from Greg Abbott’s campaign.”

Have they? Have they indeed? The reporter who exposed the false narrative says that he’s not talked to anyone within the Abbott campaign — at all:

And as for Slater being a Republican shill, that hardly holds up to scrutiny, either (via Twitchy):

Slater used to appear with more regularity on MSNBC; the last time Newsbusters noted one of his segments was in mid-2011. Before that, though, Slater made a number of appearances on the network on Hardball and Keith Olbermann’s Countdown, as well as on Fox’s O’Reilly Factor, NPR, NBC’s Meet the Press, and so on. Slater also co-wrote two books about Karl Rove, neither of them terribly complimentary — Bush’s Brain and The Architect: Karl Rove and the Dream of Absolute Power. Those aren’t the kind of books one writes to curry favor with the Republican Party, especially not in Texas.

In other words, the Davis campaign obviously did not do their homework before grasping at that blame-a-Republican-shill strategy. The response, more than the story itself, demonstrates just how unready the Davis campaign and Davis herself are ready for a high-profile gubernatorial fight in Texas … or anywhere else, for that matter.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

verbie s/b paid for the entertainment at HA.

liblikeaslave s/b mocked for its utter stupidity, while pretending to be an “intellectual”.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I love seeing verbie’s past words hit him in the head like a snow shovel. And then watch him attempt obfuscation.

libdie is used by both the queen and the duke, depending on the time of day. But I prefer the older one.

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM

The sting still burns strong, I guess. I understand she had a successful legislative moment and thus became public enemy number one for a few.

You got the right moment but you analyses is is overly political(cynical).
People here dislike WD because she made herself the face of unrestricted late late abortions(aka baby killing). It’s REALLY SIMPLE. The success of failure of her stunt is irrelevant.

BTW if she wasn’t so dizzy with leftist propaganda she would of avoiding late term abortion. Obama voted against a ban -Born Alive Infant Protection Act – in IL but he didn’t make it a defining issue – he didn’t stand up on the house floor to promote infanticide. He walked back his vote by saying he was against the practice and supported fed law instead of state(?). It wasn’t the issue that defined him. In fact 9/10 people don’t even know Obama voted for infanticide. WD didn’t give herself any wiggle room.

Wendy Davis is an even cheaper amateur then Obama. She needed an Axelrod but didn’t have one.

BoxHead1 on January 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM

quote form Verbulace

BoxHead1 on January 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM

you analyses your analysis – what happened to my spellchecker?

BoxHead1 on January 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:04 PM

And again, the point is that you thought Romney’s life story “inconsistencies” were a major issue. Here, not so much. You’re a hypocrite of epic order. Badge of honor for liberals though it seems.

hawkdriver on January 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

you analyses your analysis – what happened to my spellchecker?

BoxHead1 on January 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM

It’s between your eyes!

But both struck words are spelled correctly.

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM

It’s between your eyes!

But both struck words are spelled correctly.

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Not my eyes. spellchecker grammar checker.
I can’t spell and I’m learning grammar late in life. I’m a numbers guy.

BoxHead1 on January 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM

No major issue.
Ann Romney quickly corrected that they were in fact quite privileged when newly married. It’s all spin.
Vote for/against the policies…not the person.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Vote for/against the policies…not the person.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Given all, Wendy was/is still a slut and Ann isn’t.

Why you even bring Ann into the discussion is poor judgment and a squirrel…she never ran for anything.

If we’d say something about Michelle you’d argue the very point, you obfuscators from the left. YOU are Never objective, never. It’s all squirrels with you when you’re caught.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

No major issue.
Vote for/against the policies…not the person.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

You’re previous comments don’t support your current sentiment. You’re still not quite factually correct. The Romney’s weren’t rich going through college newly wedded and the anecdotes weren’t ever proved to be exaggerated.

hawkdriver on January 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Anything in her bio regarding what store’s mannequin she stole that awful wig from?

Buttercup on January 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Vote for/against the policies…not the person.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Get this clown, Schad! Romney was privileged and obama was not!

How much more can a verbal-something get!

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM

* disingenuous

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Heh. You crack me up, verbie. If I didn’t believe you were a real person, I’d ignore you.

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Vote for/against the policies…not the person.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Get this clown, Schad! Romney was privileged and obama was not!

How much more can a verbal-something get!

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Where did I any comment on Obama there?
Slow down there, pal.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Where did I any comment on Obama there?
Slow down there, pal.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Well, you didn’t. I was just heading you off at the pass :D

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Ha. Ok, I’ll look forward to not seeing Michele Obama hate comments.
Also, I didn’t bring Ann into it.
You’re smart enough…read my first and following comments.
Talking about about spinning biographies in an election.
Ann wasn’t spinning hers…

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Dang, verby and libfree are exceptionally stupid today.

cozmo on January 21, 2014 at 2:01 PM

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog 15h

“Take my children – please.” #WendyDavisOneLiners

davidk on January 21, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Vote for/against the policies…not the person.
verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Which do you vote for – someone’s ACTUAL policies, or the lies they tell about what they claim their policies will be if they get elected?
Your messiah 0bumble lied every step of the way as to what his policies would be or do. Is that what you voted for?

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 2:02 PM

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Sometimes it’s better to just watch.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Was Ann Romney running for something? Was she being pushed as a Republican saviour sure to turn Mass red? Why even compare the 2?

BoxHead1 on January 21, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Also, I didn’t bring Ann into it.
verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Lying libtards just gotta lie.

Remember this we were so poor story from (yes)Ann Romney?“We got married and moved into a basement apartment. We walked to class together, shared the housekeeping, and ate a lot of pasta and tuna fish. Our desk was a door propped up on sawhorses. Our dining room table was a fold-down ironing board in the kitchen.”

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 10:14 AM

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Here’s a lead in clip option for wendy davis news stories.

hurricain on January 21, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Ha. Ok, I’ll look forward to not seeing Michele Obama hate comments.
verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Since she was not elected to office, there wouldn’t be comments aimed at her – IF she stopped trying to force federal policies on all of us.

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Ha. Ok, I’ll look forward to not seeing Michele Obama hate comments.
verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

If she’d keep her ugly mouth shut, she wouldn’t be subject to attack.

Besides, she’s just a beard for obama.

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Besides, she’s just a beard for obama.

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Out comes the crazy.
Ha.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 10:14 AM

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Is that you, Mr. President?/

S.O.P.

S. D. on January 21, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Out comes the crazy.
Ha.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Heh. Jue like dat? :D

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 2:47 PM

But seriously, verbie, my gaydar went off the first time I heard this punk speak.

Lanceman on January 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Well I’d differ that this is folks caring about character.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Well, the issue at hand is her giving a false account of her actions, so you’re wrong on the basic facts.

I understand she had a successful legislative moment and thus became public enemy number one for a few. And now it’s denigrated into her being called ‘a pig’ and ‘the whore’.

I call that chickens coming home to roost.

I’m not a fan of describing people in that language, partly because it lacks class, and partly because it detracts from the main point. But conservative women have been called much worse things than this. Regularly. ON NATIONAL TELEVISION.

It makes your objection to the language, and the political analysis you attempt to tie to it, ring hollow. And it still doesn’t make it okay for her to lie.

The Schaef on January 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Also, I didn’t bring Ann into it.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Lie.

The Schaef on January 21, 2014 at 3:05 PM

This may be an attempt by the smarter dems to get themselves a martyr, and a different candidate. Her at the top of the ticket will drag dems down across the state. Everybody in Texas, except the idiot far left, knows it.

cozmo on January 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Well then I hope it doesn’t succeed. I want her to stay on the ticket.

A different candidate won’t win, though, and they know it. That’s why they didn’t have anyone else ready to go before Wendy stepped up.

Missy on January 21, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Michiganders learned first hand that a liberal bleached blonde woman with an ugly mole can destroy a state. Jennifer Granholm.

bw222 on January 21, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Well we here in Texas prior used the word “Windy” correct.

Ya, old LBJ just told another big windy on the Billy Sol Estes scam.

She is the prefect Democrat, nothing is real, all lies and fraud.

Just like “verbsoutofbalance” is the perfect troll for hotair.

Just more hotair wind.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM

We can only hope the commie loon lefty Democrats stay with her to the bitter last long lie.

Birds of a feather and big winds do not match up all that well.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM

From the other ‘Wendy Davis’ thread:

Getting a sugar daddy who’ll also be a real daddy for your inconvenient children while you lobby for murdering babies… now that’s livin the feminist dream.

evergreen on January 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I believe this is the best description of this girl, with the least amount of words possible.

listens2glenn on January 21, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Also, I didn’t bring Ann into it.
verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Lying libtards just gotta lie.

verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 10:14 AM

dentarthurdent on January 21, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Verb lies so much it cannot keep track.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 21, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Update from NRO and WaPo:

Statement from Davis:

We’re not surprised by Greg Abbott’s campaign attacks on the personal story of my life as a single mother who worked hard to get ahead. But they won’t work, because my story is the story of millions of Texas women who know the strength it takes when you’re young, alone and a mother. I’ve always been open about my life not because my story is unique, but because it isn’t.

The truth is that at age 19, I was a teenage mother living alone with my daughter in a trailer and struggling to keep us afloat on my way to a divorce. And I knew then that I was going to have to work my way up and out of that life if I was going to give my daughter a better life and a better future and that’s what I’ve done. I am proud of where I came from and I am proud of what I’ve been able to achieve through hard work and perseverance. And I guarantee you that anyone who tries to say otherwise hasn’t walked a day in my shoes.”

Not only did the DMN article not have anything to do with Abbott, as most know, Abbott is a paraplegic.

Wow, just wow. Enjoy the implosion.

Erich66 on January 21, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Watch her try to cry her way to victory…in front of the cameras, of course.

Christien on January 21, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Ha. Ok, I’ll look forward to not seeing Michele Obama hate comments.
verbaluce on January 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

…eat your peas!

KOOLAID2 on January 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM

I can see it now! After her ex- spoke out, with a name like his, he will be painted as a racist! Jefferson Davis

RandallinHerndon on January 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Yes, Wendy, it’s irritating as hell when some reporter forgets which party he works for!

drunyan8315 on January 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Buttercup on January 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Do you think she actually shaves her head? Hawt.

Jaibones on January 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM