Richard Sherman: Hey, Michael Crabtree started it

posted at 3:01 pm on January 20, 2014 by Allahpundit

Everyone knows who those two are and what “it” is, right? If not (really?), Ed will get you caught up in the Greenroom. Simple question this morning: Was that interview just Sherman being Sherman or is there bad blood between him and Crabtree? Simple answer: Yes.

Personally, while I enjoy watching large men spend hours hitting each other with the impact force of minor car crashes, I expect some decorum afterward, damn it.

I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said, “Good game, good game.” That’s when he shoved my face, and that’s when I went off…

But that’s not why I don’t like the man. It goes back to something he said to me this offseason in Arizona, but you’d have to ask him about that. A lot of what I said to Andrews was adrenaline talking, and some of that was Crabtree. I just don’t like him.

It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am. I don’t want to be a villain, because I’m not a villainous person. When I say I’m the best cornerback in football, it’s with a caveat: There isn’t a great defensive backfield in the NFL that doesn’t have a great front seven. Everything begins with pressure up front, and that’s what we get from our pass rushers every Sunday. To those who would call me a thug or worse because I show passion on a football field—don’t judge a person’s character by what they do between the lines. Judge a man by what he does off the field, what he does for his community, what he does for his family.

He’s an egomaniac — for good reason — but no, of course he’s not always in game mode and no, he’s not above giving credit where it’s due. Follow the link above to his SI piece and you’ll find him with nothing but praise for the Broncos. I think his issue here really is with Crabtree specifically. I didn’t see Crabtree shove him in the face after the play, but yep, he did; no doubt there’s more to that than Sherman’s letting on (if you really think all he said was “good game,” watch the clip below of RS discussing on-field trash talk from early last year) but the bad sportsmanship runs two ways. Sherman’s just the one who ended up with a mic in front of him five minutes later. If anything, his big sin here was singling out a player for derision whom not enough fans hate. If instead he had called Tom Brady a punk who throws like a girl (which he’s kinda sorta done before), 90 percent of the country would have been high-fiving on their couches.

Easy prediction: Before the month of February is out, Sherman will end up in a commercial ranting about how, say, Burger King is a sorry excuse for a fast-food restaurant and then digging into a Big Mac with a giant smile.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I can’t believe that this is a thing. Oh and it will be McDonald’s that he bad mouths and will praise The Whopper.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Spliff Menendez on January 20, 2014 at 6:13 PM

! Your the ignant one, Spleefs. Sherm stick much, bro? Li’l Ricky swears Crabs started it. That makes Rick the vic. When the victim retaliates, he gets flagged, like it or not.

Welcome to the Wide World of Sports Optics.

Christien on January 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM

…even after his death…

libfreeordie on January 20, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Imagine that for a bit. Imagine being consumed by your academic fetish but being constantly shown as wrong on almost every topic you introduce here outside of a laughably self-limited sort of “the influence of women professors in gay black history and how it influences future gay history of blacks and women” sphere of knowledge.

Now imagine knowing that the non-bubble folks you choose to congregate with care very little about your womens-/LBGT-/black-studies knowledge. And, worse, often laugh openly about its perceived value after you prove you haven’t bothered to learn much else.

Sadder still is knowing that he comes here and gets knocked around academically by people who probably only graduated high school but who have genuine intellectual curiousity and have educated themselves on different topics, and this forces him to return to the comfort of that little womens-/LBGT-/black-studies bubble where he knows what he’s expected to say to be told he’s smart again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

rogerb on February 5, 2013 at 7:03 AM

rogerb on January 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM

libfreeordie cannot even discuss sports without bringing all the lefty causes du jour into the it with a large dose of class warfare and throwing out the race card.
Everything is political to libtards.

gwelf on January 20, 2014 at 4:12 PM

libby aka Michael Eric is a sad, unaware manchild stuck inside a bubble.

22044 on January 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Maybe Chick Fil A should hire Sherman.

22044 on January 20, 2014 at 6:28 PM

CW,

You made a very good point last night about the Bowman play, when they ripped the ball out after he was already in possession, down, and injured.

Classless.

Christien on January 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Christien on January 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Thanks. I wish somebody on the networks would make that point. We have gotten to the point that there is almost no character in sports.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 20, 2014 at 6:35 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 20, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Agreed. And let me apologize again for being a Sherman to Steelers fans way back when. I wanted to slam Ed for being a traitor Rams fan by backing y’all, but I have ALWAYS feared the Steel Curtain and respected its accomplishments. I just felt sometimes you big dogs didn’t reciprocate, but that’s my problem, not y’all’s. I appreciate you guys calling me on it.

(I think it was after effects of seeing that life-sized Harris statue in the Pittsburgh airport.)

Christien on January 20, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I miss Artie Donovan.

katy the mean old lady on January 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM

“Cassius Clay?” OK, so we know what this is about for some of you….

And Ali’s trash talk was, like his boxing, poetry in motion. Don’t be mad. But then again, you probably would’ve been at the head of the witch hunt prosecuting Jack Johnson for violations of the Mann Act.

libfreeordie on January 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I’m so sorry I wasn’t here earlier to see your racist rants on this thread.

Care to tell me what wasn’t exactly on point in my comment?

A. He started all the trash talking
B. His name was Clay when he started

I was one of his biggest boxing fans and to this day haven’t seen anyone better than Ali in the ring. He was an artist, exhibiting both quickness and power, an unbeatable combination. I paid to see many of his fights on closed circuit, including the Thrilla in Manila. Get it jerk? I appreciated his skills. I cheered him on. Not because of his name or his skin color, but because the man could box like no one else. But I hated the trash talking, it wasn’t necessary, it was immature, clownish and demeaning.

But because I point out the fact that he started all of this trash talking, when he was Cassius Clay, you take the giant leap to accuse me of racism. You’re a fool of the highest order and a bigot to boot.

But we all already knew that. You just can’t help pointing it out over and over again every time you show up on a thread.

fogw on January 20, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Christien on January 19&20, 2014

Either you lost a lot of money on this game, or you went somewhere tropical for the holidays and came back with sand in your vaj.

Which is it?

Shepherd Lover on January 20, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Only girls are shocked by all this sh!t.

Nomennovum on January 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Christien on January 19&20, 2014

Which is it?

Shepherd Lover on January 20, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Hey Christien – You Mad Bro?

dont taze me bro on January 20, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Sherman apologizes.

In isolation, meh.

But libby aka Michael Eric loses again!

22044 on January 20, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Hey Christien – You Mad Bro?

dont taze me bro on January 20, 2014 at 8:05 PM

You wish! Totally enjoying Sherman and his enablers getting crushed.

Christien on January 20, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Shepherd Lover on January 20, 2014 at 7:35 PM

*choke* I suppose that’s considered badass smack for the 1/12 Man.

Christien on January 20, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I had seen this live last night, and thought, WTF!!

canopfor on January 20, 2014 at 8:32 PM

The Associated Press ‏@AP 28m

New York and New Jersey prep for Super Bowl mayhem: http://apne.ws/19J9mIv
**************************************************************************

canopfor on January 20, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Easier prediction: In 2 weeks, Manning throws minimum three touchdown passes to Sherman’s corner. All of the new Bronco fans delight in the schadenfruediliciousness of it all.

Manning gets MVP while the stands are full of happy, jeering fans pointing at Sherman and laughing. The camera slow pans to tears rolling down his thuggish face.

And I smile.

Professor Blather on January 20, 2014 at 8:44 PM

America has spoken.

Christien on January 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM

America has spoken.

Christien on January 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM

It’s the same map that showed who was cheering for Seattle last week. Quite a coinkydink,

Ronnie on January 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM

You know Mr. Sherman–there is reason that stereotypes become stereotypes….

HatfieldMcCoy on January 20, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I consider Sherman to be a very well thought-out person who is an exceptional writer. But he is fooling himself. He was taunting Crabtree, putting it right in his face.

John the Libertarian on January 21, 2014 at 12:17 AM

You know Mr. Sherman–there is reason that stereotypes become stereotypes….

HatfieldMcCoy on January 20, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Which stereotypes would those be? Would they have anything to do with Sherman’s master’s degree?

baldilocks on January 21, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Who cares? No, seriously who cares? I know a lot of people who don’t like each other.

jephthah on January 21, 2014 at 7:39 AM

I understand why Sherman’s interview is crack cocaine to TV talking heads and sportswriters – they have lots of time and space to fill and nothing very original to fill it with.

I don’t understand why it should matter at all to the rest of us.

Remember these are the same sportswriters and talking heads who criticized Tim Tebow for quietly giving thanks to his lord and savior after games.

pilsener on January 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Football must come to grips with on field African American exuberence.

StevC on January 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM

BS. Sherman started it with a little pat on Crabtree’s rear-end and probably a snide remark about his not catching the possibly wining pass.

Then as Sherman passed Crabtree he tried to get into his face at which time Crabtree pushed him aside with a palm to the face mask (due to size differences).

Then Sherman went off in front of the referee and got flagged.

Surly, Crabtree was not in the mood for any jocularity or snide remarks from anyone at that moment.

Watch the replay.