Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on January 19, 2014 by Allahpundit

When I asked Obama about another area of shifting public opinion—the legalization of marijuana—he seemed even less eager to evolve with any dispatch and get in front of the issue. “As has been well documented, I smoked pot as a kid, and I view it as a bad habit and a vice, not very different from the cigarettes that I smoked as a young person up through a big chunk of my adult life. I don’t think it is more dangerous than alcohol.”…

Less dangerous, he said, “in terms of its impact on the individual consumer. It’s not something I encourage, and I’ve told my daughters I think it’s a bad idea, a waste of time, not very healthy.” What clearly does trouble him is the radically disproportionate arrests and incarcerations for marijuana among minorities. “Middle-class kids don’t get locked up for smoking pot, and poor kids do,” he said. “And African-American kids and Latino kids are more likely to be poor and less likely to have the resources and the support to avoid unduly harsh penalties.” But, he said, “we should not be locking up kids or individual users for long stretches of jail time when some of the folks who are writing those laws have probably done the same thing.” Accordingly, he said of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington that “it’s important for it to go forward because it’s important for society not to have a situation in which a large portion of people have at one time or another broken the law and only a select few get punished.”

As is his habit, he nimbly argued the other side. “Having said all that, those who argue that legalizing marijuana is a panacea and it solves all these social problems I think are probably overstating the case. There is a lot of hair on that policy. And the experiment that’s going to be taking place in Colorado and Washington is going to be, I think, a challenge.” He noted the slippery-slope arguments that might arise. “I also think that, when it comes to harder drugs, the harm done to the user is profound and the social costs are profound. And you do start getting into some difficult line-drawing issues. If marijuana is fully legalized and at some point folks say, Well, we can come up with a negotiated dose of cocaine that we can show is not any more harmful than vodka, are we open to that? If somebody says, We’ve got a finely calibrated dose of meth, it isn’t going to kill you or rot your teeth, are we O.K. with that?”

***

[Harry] Reid said he began changing his mind about medical marijuana laws after witnessing the health struggles of people who would have been helped by the drug. One of those cases, he said, involved the son of an unnamed Las Vegas official.

“He was so skinny and doing so poorly, and someone told him and his mom, you know, you should smoke some marijuana,” he told The Sun in an interview published on its website on Thursday afternoon. “You get the munchies, you get extremely hungry.”

After the son gained weight, Mr. Reid said, “I thought, you know there might be some medical reasons to taking another look at this.”

***

Marijuana prohibition is like every other prohibition: it drives up costs, creates black markets, and criminalizes trivial behavior. This prohibition feeds an increasingly Kafkaesque, asset-forfeiture-driven, militarized police system, and takes up tens of thousands of prison beds that could be occupied by violent offenders. It costs billions in state and federal enforcement programs with an abysmal price-to-punch ratio.

Which is why it’s time for the GOP to seize the political benefits of getting ahead of where society is already going on the topic of weed.

I’m not saying we should blaze up at fundraisers, or that candidates need to start offering elephant bongs to donors, or that the campaign van needs a Phish sticker. But we should at least be talking about reducing the penalties, danger, and illegality for a drug that society decided a long time ago it likes…

We have a chance to show people our rhetoric on personal freedom isn’t just a campaign talking point, and that we’re serious about ending the criminalization of everyday life.

***

Forty-nine percent in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll support legalizing small amounts of the drug for personal use. Almost exactly the same number, 48 percent, are opposed.

Support for legalization is numerically at a new high in ABC/Post polls, albeit only by a single percentage point from its level slightly more than a year ago, and up dramatically from its lows in the mid-1980s and well into the 1990s.

At the same time, strength of sentiment continues to weigh against the weed. Thirty-six percent “strongly” oppose its legalization, more than the 28 percent who strongly support it.

***

As with issues like guns and immigration, the support/oppose polls don’t necessarily tell the whole story. While a majority supports legalizing marijuana, lawmakers might stand to lose more than they stand to gain by supporting it. That’s because issues like this are all about intensity.

While polling on intensity of marijuana support is limited, consider this: Pew’s poll last year showed just 12 percent of Americans had used marijuana in the past year, while 32 percent said it was morally wrong to do so. So those who are morally opposed to the use of the drug are nearly three times as plentiful as those who actually use the drug.

***

In June, Rand [Paul] attempted to split the difference, saying, “I don’t really believe in prison sentences for these minor, nonviolent drug offenses, but I’m not willing to go all the way to say it is a good idea either. I think people who use marijuana all the time lose IQ points; I think they lose their drive to show up for work.”…

The debate sets up a clash between two pillars of the Republican identity: morality and liberty. “They’re going to come in conflict with each other, for sure,” said Megyesy. “It’s going to be growing pains now as the Republican Party looks for its next breath of life. It’s really hard for them to say, ‘Oh, we would uphold federal law when it comes to marijuana, but push back on federal law on gun control or healthcare.’ I think there’s a big inconsistency there.”…

[T]here seems to be consensus that pot use will increase markedly, an outcome few are cheering. The logic is pretty simple: “Legalization reduces prices. Cannabis use responds to price. Therefore legalization will increase use,” Kleiman said. “Moreover, legalization improves access and reduces stigma and risk. That should encourage still more use. A 50-percent increase in use seems like a reasonable lower bound.” Both Sabet and Kleiman also spoke in grim terms about the emergence, somewhere down the road, of a marijuana industry that may well begin to act like the tobacco lobby used to, pouring money into weakening regulation and questioning science.

***

There was way too much giddiness in the media about the first day of legal pot selling in Colorado. Instead of all the happy talk, I think it’s time for some sober discussion and a strong dose of education about the addiction risks of smoking marijuana — particularly among young people. It may start out as a party, but it often ends up as something much, much worse.

With the grace of God, I’ve been clean and sober for over 18 years — a recovery experience that still has me going to a lot of 12-step meetings. And I hear time and again from young people coming into the rooms to get sober how pot smoking led to harder drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Now, this is anecdotal, and I am not an expert. And I will say that many people can control alcohol or pot or other drugs. But I am not one of them. And I am not alone.

Talk to virtually any professional drug counselor, and they will warn that pot is a gateway drug.

***

I spent too many nights dealing with the stupidity and struggles of stoned bandmates in their early teens to want to follow that path. And while I dare not engage on the “gateway drug” argument, I can tell you that too many of my bandmates who smoked pot in their teens moved on to coke, acid, pills, and occasionally heroin later in life. I spent many nights dealing with their struggles, many hours helping with them through rehab, too many early mornings in emergency rooms, and in one tragic case, too many nights mourning the loss of a dear friend. But I am sure all of these life experiences with friends and acquaintances over 30 years pales in comparison of the education of kick-starting a bong in Mom’s basement while cranking up “Do You Feel Like We Do.”

But I remain defiant in my ignorance.

Unlike alcohol, pot rarely makes you an angry stoner. Unlike coke, pot rarely makes you bankrupt. And unlike heroin, pot rarely makes you dead. Nope. In my three decades or so around a multitude of pot smokers, I have found that all too often, pot just makes you dumb.

***

In a recent interview, the world-famous pop star admitted she was heavily addicted to marijuana. “I have been addicted to it and it’s ultimately related to anxiety coping and it’s a form of self-medication and I was smoking up to 15 or 20 marijuana cigarettes a day with no tobacco,” she said. “I was living on a totally other psychedelic plane, numbing myself completely.”

Lady Gaga said she was speaking out to bust the myth that marijuana is just a harmless plant. “I just want young kids to know that you actually can become addicted to it, and there’s this sentiment that you can’t and that’s actually not true.”…

In its own report arguing against marijuana legalization, the American Medical Association said: “Heavy cannabis use in adolescence causes persistent impairments in neurocognitive performance and IQ, and use is associated with increased rates of anxiety, mood and psychotic thought disorders.”

The country can ill-afford a costly experiment with drugs. While we are undergoing a national debate over improving health care costs and education performance, legalizing marijuana will undercut those vital missions.

***

The sexual revolution may have not turned out too terrible for those who came from upper-income families of privilege and means. It may not have turned out terribly for those with access to higher education and connections. But the sexual revolution has helped ruin poor and middle class families.

The rise of single households in minority communities, the rise of teen pregnancy, the incentive for young men to go from one conquest to the next and the relaxing of attitudes and societal judgment have degraded the stability of the nuclear family. Combine that with the federal government’s war on poverty and there is decay, collapse, crime and social breakdown in too many poor neighborhoods and a harder path for the poor to climb to the middle class.

Now add the legalization of drugs to the mix. Gone may be the crime and gangs funded on the drug trade. Maybe. That is not a given. But young men and women in loosened social mores now with more readily available drugs might not turn out so well beneath the upper incomes. Upstairs and downstairs in the American manor house may behave largely the same, but the upstairs lords and ladies will have a harder time ignoring the blight their pursuit of hedonism has caused downstairs.

Making it about personal responsibility is all well and good until those of us who were personally responsible must cover the cleanup costs of those who were not.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

The choom train is steadily rolling along.

RickB on January 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM

He still sparks up, you just know he does…

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2014 at 8:06 PM

obama’s gay. How come nobody told me this?

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM

He has tampons.

Key West Reader on January 19, 2014 at 8:09 PM

obama’s gay. How come nobody told me this?

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I did. Today…

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM

..oh good!…no doughnut…just choom!

KOOLAID2 on January 19, 2014 at 8:12 PM

As I said on the headlines thread:

Obama is full of it.
They [alcohol and pot] are both dangerous for different reasons.

But there’s a lot of “dangerous” things. For example, high cholesterol eggs. Football. Yet the old authoritarian drug warriors like Bill Bennett want to yell out the point that marijuana is “still dangerous.” But so what. It doesn’t follow that we erect a trillion dollar police state in a clearly failed effort to control its use. That is century old thinking. That a brutal police state is the answer. It’s old, outdated thinking, and it follows that now only those over 65 are in favor of not legalizing marijuana. So pot is dangerous, but look to mitigate its use and harm not through a costly clumsy ineffective police state, but through other means. Think about it.

anotherJoe on January 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM

AP Politics ‏@AP_Politics 2h

Obama: Pot is not more dangerous than alcohol http://apne.ws/1eL0YWi

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 8:14 PM

anotherJoe on January 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM

My grandma ate high cholesterol eggs every day of her 103 years. Guess she should have cut back, huh?

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM

As per AP Linky above:

Hopey Chimes in on Choom:

alcohol
5h
President Obama, when asked about marijuana, says ‘I don’t think it is more dangerous than alcohol’ – @NewYorker
read more on newyorker.com

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 8:16 PM

This QOTD…seems to missing something…
Where is the Chris Christie angle?!?

BoxHead1 on January 19, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I don’t care about your personal opinions on marijuana, Mr. President.

I do care that you choose to not enforce firearms laws in Colorado.

rogerb on January 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM

At this point I’d be more than happy to let all those who keep extolling the virtues of marijuana use and arguing for legalization get as stoned as they like… if they’d just shut up.

I’m so sick and tired of being harangued and nagged.

Just get stoned, eat everything in the refrigerator and pass out on the couch, already.

Just stay off the road, stay home, and get on with your Cheech and Chong retrospective.

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Talking out of his ass about important public policy, and he’s the President.

/Obama spoke stupidly

What’s next … I have no executive training that would qualify me to be President, but …

I *did* sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. (?)

Paul-Cincy on January 19, 2014 at 8:26 PM

This QOTD…seems to missing something…
Where is the Chris Christie angle?!?

BoxHead1 on January 19, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Here ya go. Better now?

Christie on Legal Pot: ‘Not Gonna Happen Here’

The Governor insists he didn’t sabotage the state’s slow-moving and restrictive medical marijuana program. “Believe me if I wanted to sabotage the plan I know how to sabotage things,” he stated in March. “When I want to sabotage something I just pull all the funding from it.”

Reiterating his contention that non-patients routinely receive marijuana legally in states like California and Colorado, Christie commented: “I do not want people flying to New Jersey, getting off a plane, going to some fake doctor, saying they have a headache and going and picking up pot which is what goes on in Denver, Colorado every day… You look at what’s going on across the country with these medical marijuana programs – they’ve become essentially the legalization of marijuana. Not gonna happen here.”

kcewa on January 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I did. Today…

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Heh. I wanted to post that!

To draw out libdie, DoucheBear and a coupla others.

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM

This QOTD…seems to missing something…
Where is the Chris Christie angle?!?

BoxHead1 on January 19, 2014 at 8:20 PM

BocHead1: Ugh, you had to ask:)
=================================

Chris Christie Sandy funds investigation
1h
Hoboken, N.J., mayor turns over journal to federal authorities; says Christie threatened to withhold Sandy aid – @NorthJerseybrk
read more on northjersey.com
============================

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 8:34 PM

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Me too. Maybe we could make a glass cage called the bong room and they could all go inside and stone themselves into oblivion and get lazier everyday, slur their speech, act like children, laugh hysterically at each others farts and become unable to defer any gratification whatsoever while claiming pot has no effect.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Oops,…thats BoxHead1,… not BocHead1!

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

These Beautiful Glowing Maps Show Twitter And Flickr Activity In Every Major City In The World

maybe you can find your house…glowing…scrollllll down

going2mars on January 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Lanceman will Merm you.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

maybe you can find your house…glowing…scrollllll down

going2mars on January 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Shhh…don’t tell Snowden about this.

kcewa on January 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Panama Red, he’ll steal your woman then he’ll rob your head.

predator on January 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

In my next life, I wanna come back as crappy_feet.

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Amen!

In my 35 years of teaching, I felt reasonably sure who the stoners in my classroom were. Academic drive and excellence were not their identifying characteristics. Self-absorption and passivity, as well as avoidance of personal responsibility, set them apart from the achievers.

onlineanalyst on January 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM

CCTOTD = Chris Christie Thread of the Day

I want it bad.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 8:40 PM

onlineanalyst on January 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Yep. They all morph into lazier piker slugs than they were before.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 8:41 PM

CCTOTD = Chris Christie Thread of the Day

I want it bad.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Get help. Please. We’re becoming concerned about you.

predator on January 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM

To draw out libdie, DoucheBear and a coupla others.

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM

They would most likely celebrate the news…

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Oops,…thats BoxHead1,… not BocHead1!

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

BotchedHead! I like it.

BoxHead1 on January 19, 2014 at 8:47 PM

And those with more serious mental issues and/or less money get themselves into nasty places and situations trying to afford the drug(s) and eventually onto harder, more “serious” drugs from which they never recover.

Whether legalization is the way to go or not, it’s total BS that it is harmless.

kim roy on January 19, 2014 at 8:48 PM

CCTOTD = Chris Christie Thread of the Day

I want it bad.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 8:40 PM

SparkPlug: Really,..haha::)

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 8:49 PM

As I’ve said previously:

Personal responsibility is not some magical mantra that immediately changes anything into a conservative position.

If Obama pushes something, it’s guaranteed to be bad for you and for the country, and contribute to the disintegration of maturity, morality, relationships, and well-being, not to mention life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. All that’s needed to help lock Americans in chains is to be an advocate for a stoner generation.

Things worked out so well for people during the 1960′s, didn’t they?///////

(I really don’t think the 65+ group has old, outdated thinking about drugs. Summer of Love was 1967. People who are 65 today were about 19 or 20 years old at the time.)

INC on January 19, 2014 at 8:50 PM

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

BotchedHead! I like it.

BoxHead1 on January 19, 2014 at 8:47 PM

BoxHead1:Lol,..that’ll get into SCORTCHED Territory:)

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Oops,…thats BoxHead1,… not BocHead1!

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

BotchedHead! I like it.

BoxHead1 on January 19, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Sorry for the nonsense OT. I got spacey after I took that hit.

BoxHead1 on January 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM

One toke Over the Line.

(ummm, g’nite)

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Sorry for the nonsense OT. I got spacey after I took that hit.

BoxHead1 on January 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Just go scrotched earth on him. Le Crap!

:D

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 8:54 PM

The funniest claim is that getting stoned makes you smarter and more creative.

Stoner idiots will believe anything.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 8:55 PM

They would most likely celebrate the news…

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Oh, they’ve already known as have we. Since the beginning. You can’t whistle your S’s and not be gay.

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 8:55 PM

predator on January 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Good evening, Predator. :)

Did I state my case too strongly? I may have.

I plead extreme duress. I have been assailed by people in their 40′s, 50′s, and 60′s, mostly on the LEFT, for years whining endlessly because they feel inconvenienced because they can’t huff down a number in some public venue….so they go outside… or to their car and do it, just as they have for years.

Most of them will argue that ‘everyone does it anyway so it should be legal’. If they’re doing it anyway what’s the problem? Most of them will brag they’ve been doing it since high school and have never been caught. If they’re discreet they won’t even get a fine.

Gee… I can’t wait to be at a cocktail party with people like David Brooks and watch as he huffs down a joint in front of everyone, coughing and sputtering, holding his breath, red faced and sweating, thinking he’s being incredible hip and cool … at his age…before he goes on a talking and hysterical laughter jag and insists on explaining the meaning of his navel to everyone and how that crease in Obama’s pants is still the coolest thing he’s ever seen.

I’ve never cared if other people, particularly potential competitors, wanted to get drunk or stoned. The best competition is the competition that just stays home … but I deeply object to being endlessly nagged.

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Sorry for the nonsense OT. I got spacey after I took that hit.

BoxHead1 on January 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM

BoxHead1:—:0

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 8:57 PM

The war on drugs has been a failure. Billions spent and really nothing gained.

Does getting stoned hold people back from being their best? Yes, for those who do it daily and put themselves in a stupor day in and day out.

But people who drink themselves into a stupor every day don’t generally achieve much in their lives either.

People who over-indulge in any mind-altering substance must be shown the error of their ways. But it must be done through examples of others and not a bunch of laws that have never worked.

It won’t work for everyone. Some people are predisposed to self-destruction. But laws against this, that, or the other when it comes to substance abuse have failed. They will continue to fail.

You can’t save the entire population from itself.

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Isn’t that true of all crimes? Should we just legalize crime?

kcewa on January 19, 2014 at 9:03 PM

onlineanalyst on January 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Yes, indeed. I’ve seen the same thing on college and university campuses.

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:04 PM

The war on drugs has been a failure. Billions spent and really nothing gained.
predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:00 PM

How can you prove that?

kcewa on January 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM

but I deeply object to being endlessly nagged.

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Don’t blame you a bit for that, jackie. And I think such indulgences are best practiced at home. Once I got past my younger and wilder years, I preferred to get loaded (on whatever) at home. Safer for me from a legal standpoint. Safer for society as well.

Getting blasted is fine, imo. But do it at home where you don’t endanger yourself or others.

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM

How did voters elect this man? Shame on all those young women and know-nothing students and other leeches who fell for this fraud.

The media should have portrayed him as the inexperienced socialist pothead he always has been, not as some loveable, hip and smart “historic” candidate with the preferred skin color, as the media made him out to be.

bluegill on January 19, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Just go scrotched earth on him. Le Crap!

:D

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Lanceman:Tee-Hee:)

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 9:11 PM

But do it at home where you don’t endanger yourself or others.

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I agree, as long as you’re talking about weed and alcohol and we’re talking about adults.

However, there are substances that are so deadly, so addictive, so destructive, that they should remain illegal and the penalty for peddling them should be severe.

Society is going to be handed a huge bill for the care and endless rehab stints for people who’ve abused themselves horribly on these substances, including organ transplants and multiple long term hospital stays. I’d like to see that we keep that cost in check as much as possible and the attendant crime that goes along with the use of these destructive substances as minimized.

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:13 PM

one side of the mouth: “Marijuana bad, Police State good.”
other side of the mouth: “OMFG HOW DARE THEY BAN SALT, HYDROGENATED OILS, AND SUPER-GULP SODAS WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF”

Jeddite on January 19, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Hm. For once The One and I agree on something. Of course, I’m seeing it from the POV of having dealt with drunks, wetbrains, winos, potheads, and other assorted “chemically dependent” types, both professionally and (in the case of one serious boozer) in my own family.

The major difference I’ve seen is that serious potheads get lung cancer and emphysema a bit faster than chain smokers, and can go from “mellow” to “mean” faster than the average dipso. So I class all three as dumb, self-destructive habits, but pot vies with booze in its potential for collateral damage.

For instance, I’ve only been in an auto accident caused by cigarette smoking once. A woman, driving at night, went off the road, onto the berm, and clipped the front corner of my vehicle as I was sitting in my driveway waiting for her to pass. She was simultaneously trying to light a cig and change the station on the radio. I called it a “multitasking failure”, and the State Trooper agreed with me. (I still got cited for a technical Failure to Yield.)

Those who support pot legalization generally want guns banned, period. If they ever succeed, I’ll be watching closely to see how many gangbangers are willing to turn in their straps before lighting up their now-legal doobies.

But of course, that 12 percent are the Enlightened Elite, and that 32 percent are the Redneck Bitter Clingers. So naturally the 12 percent get the final say, as their opinions are obviously worth more.

/In case you couldn’t guess, but that is the “logic” at work.

Sure, just like repealing Prohibition killed off the Mafia. They’ll just find something else to flog. And keep in mind, the trendy, post-modern types will move on to something else once pot is legal; because if it’s legal, it’s no longer “edgy” and “rebellious” to use it. It’s hard to be a rebel if nobody gives a sh!t what you’re doing.

I have confidence that they can make it. They’ve ignored the consequences of every stupid idea they’ve rammed down our throats up to now.

To our elite’, that’s the price we pay for them to grant us the continued privilege of existence in their world.

Expect the bills to continue getting bigger.

clear ether

eon

eon on January 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Thought all the HA craftsmen and artists here, when I got this link from a friend today.
Skill and creativity like this boggles my mind .. enjoy.

pambi on January 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Its amazing. People doubt climate scientists with almost no evidence that scientists are paid off for publishing reports on human-directed climate change. But don’t even think twice to question whether drug counselors might have a financial investment in marijuana prohibition.

libfreeordie on January 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM

How can you prove that?

kcewa on January 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Prove it? You can prove that I’m wrong?

In any event, to “prove it” I would have to do more statistical digging than I’m willing to do tonight. Football, dinner, drinks are more important at this time. I’m stating an opinion based on what I’ve viewed in my 61 years.

Billions have been spent. Do you really need me to prove that?

Marijuana is still a pretty popular way of unwinding from all I have seen.

I have no problem with discouraging drug or alcohol abuse. But the key word there is “abuse.” Some people use alcohol. Some abuse it.

Some people use pot. Some abuse it. There is a difference, and in my opinion, that is what needs to be addressed.

I maintain that “use” will not go away, but “abuse” can be minimized, if not conquered.

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:15 PM

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:13 PM

‘Zackly. Crack, smack, and coke are deadly. One overdose can kill.

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM

libfreeordie on January 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Power-hungry liberal airhead bigots ignore scientists who don’t support “man-made global warming” lies. There has been no warming in the last 16 years, and the “man-caused global warming” lie perpetrators are looking even more foolish with each year that passes.

bluegill on January 19, 2014 at 9:19 PM

This is very true. Mainstreaming people’s favorite ‘taboo’ takes all the mystique out of it. These types will move on to something else. I note the rise in the use of synthetics now that weed use is becoming banal.

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Of course, Obama is right. Pot and booze are roughly the same, with alcohol being more harmful physically to chronic abusers than marijuana is. That’s not even taking into account that I’d much rather drive in a car driven by someone who’s really high over someone who is really drunk.

The majority of teenage kids who smoke pot end up just fine. The majority of teenage kids who drink alcohol end up just fine. (though I’m pretty certain there are many more alcohol-related teen deaths than pot-related teen deaths). Yes, there are those who abuse both that have problems. Same with adults. That’s why there’s a drinking and pot-smoking age.

But anyone who wants to make the case that pot should be illegal also needs to explain why they believe alcohol should remain legal.

Tom_Shipley on January 19, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm … debating recreational drugs vs posting something might make you all go,

Wait? What?

****************************************

Remember Opportunity?

It and Spirit have been on Mars for 10 years. Yeah, 10 years … hard to believe.

Click on the link below and scroll down to the Before & After picture.

It’s real. Same piece of land – 12 days apart – *POOF!* a “jelly donut” appears out of nowhere. No idea where it came from. Or how it got there. They’ve analyzed it – and only agree they have never seen anything like it.

I know what’s going on… there ARE Martians … with twisted senses of humor … I like them already!

****************************************

In other news, Chris Christie is reported to have submitted his name for consideration for the one way trip to Mars.

;->

PolAgnostic on January 19, 2014 at 9:25 PM

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Good evening, Spark. :) Great to walk the ramparts with you.

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Tom_Shipley

Now we’re talking! A bored troll showed up!

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 9:26 PM

In that situation I’ll just drive myself or take a cab. Thanks just the same.

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Now we’re talking! A bored troll showed up!

Not that bored. This is a hell of a game.

Tom_Shipley on January 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Scrotched is the correct spelling.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Come on, San Fran Sicko! You need a TD NOW!

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM

libfreeordie on January 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM

What a total moron you are.

No seriously. What a total, complete moron you are.

I work in a hospital that services a “skid row” community. It is very clear the hazards of marijuana/drug use on the mentally ill or vulnerable.

When you have seen literally hundreds of people get cleaned up, detoxed and then see them fall in the abyss again through marijuana (and eventually other drug) use. This is not exclusive to my location.

Geez. I really wish there was a killfile or “ignore” button on this site.

kim roy on January 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM

“I have a leafy brain, according to the theory of the leafy brain. I associate things that many people never put together.” ~Keith Olbermann, Esquire Magazine

This certainly explains a great deal.

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:31 PM

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Zactly! :) Well said, my friend. :)

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM

So how is that padded cell, Keef?

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:34 PM

In that situation I’ll just drive myself or take a cab. Thanks just the same.

Correct. But there’s a reason why there’s a MADD and not MASD.

Tom_Shipley on January 19, 2014 at 9:34 PM

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:34 PM

lol! I was wondering what happens to his brain in the winter. ;)

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Zactly! :) Well said, my friend. :)

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Ah! Praise from m’lady! *kneels*

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:15 PM

right on. I usually agree with my Pred.

bazil9 on January 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM

libfreeordie on January 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Geez. I really wish there was a killfile or “ignore” button on this site.

kim roy on January 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Good God, you have to be a real brain-dead idiot to even come close to giving this credence. Liberalism is a dangerous mental disorder. I used to think that was hyperbole.

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Same here. I like the turrets and the ramparts especially when they are graced with your presence which waifs like a beautiful and lustrous mist drenching the walls with a shimmering… [I'm stuck here]

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 9:37 PM

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Ahh…my gallant, sir. Smooth talker, you. ;)

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM

bazil9 on January 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Ouuuugaaa Ouuuugaa

Beep Beep

Chirp Chirp

Yippie B9 is here.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Geez. I really wish there was a killfile or “ignore” button on this site.

kim roy on January 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Here’s an interesting statistic. There is not a single prison in this country that is drug free. Not one. Think about the implications of that. That means among a population with the least amount of freedom, the most amount of surveillance and whose lives are utterly micro managed *Drugs still get in* So how on earth do you think that drug prohibition is going to keep drugs out of the population.

As for your experience Hundreds of people? Great, There are hundreds of thousands of people who have smoked marijuana and never touched harder stuff. Or, (and this is almost never discussed in polite company) they’ve touched other stuff and not gotten addicted. Not everyone who uses drugs has the disease of addiction. There’s absolutely no reason why the *minority* of drug users who become addicts should demand a coercive police state *which has done nothing to reduce the amount of drug addiction*.

Here’s the thing. Legalization advocates are fools if they say that legalization will not lead to more use. Of course it will. And that mean that more of the people born with the disease of addiction may try drugs. But those people tend to self destruct regardless, because you don’t need drugs for an addictive personality to be destructive or even violent. So all the anecdotes in the world isn’t going to deal with the reality that the drug war is an unmitigated failure and that its perpetuation is just to keep a range of government employees and the leeches in probation counseling in upper middle class jobs. Deal.

libfreeordie on January 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 9:37 PM

You’re doing just fine. I’m entranced. :)

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

This certainly explains a great deal.

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Heh. Reminds me of that dumb broad Garafolo and her ‘limbic’ brain crap. She saw the word once, and tried to use it to sound intelligent.

Swing and a miss…

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

pambi on January 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM

just wow.. that guy is fantastic…page after page
thank you for sharing..

going2mars on January 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I just thought of something. I cannot recall ever seeing you or Dire actually attack a troll. Am I incorrect?

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

right on. I usually agree with my Pred.

bazil9 on January 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM

The lovely and charming b9! It has been too long! *smooch*

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Let’s not forget the brilliant Smiley Face

Reaganomics scene:

WhatSlushfund on January 19, 2014 at 9:40 PM

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Yes it has..missed you. XO. Hope your well, my man.

bazil9 on January 19, 2014 at 9:40 PM

It is fifty degrees out on my porch right now, got up to 63 today…

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2014 at 9:40 PM

The Choomwagon rides again.

Philly on January 19, 2014 at 9:40 PM

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Hi J, thanks..u too. =]

bazil9 on January 19, 2014 at 9:41 PM

bazil9 on January 19, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Good evening,B9! Wonderful to see you. :)

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:41 PM

shimmering residue that drips slowly down to drench the plants and animals who lick it for nourishment.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Come on San Fran Sicko!

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I attacked HAL once and peed on MJBrutus

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 9:42 PM

WhatSlushfund on January 19, 2014 at 9:40 PM

LOL! :)

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

No. Spark has ridden to my aid on several occasions. He’s quite the troll hunter when he chooses.

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I attacked HAL once and peed on MJBrutus

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 9:42 PM

That was mean! HAL usta sing Daisy!

Bruti’s just a dilrod.

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 9:43 PM

It’s just a weed, man.

Knott Buyinit on January 19, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Yes it has..missed you. XO. Hope your well, my man.

bazil9 on January 19, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I am well. The doc and the pharmacist are keeping me humming like a fine-tuned machine.

predator on January 19, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I gave one troll a rug burn who was mean to MG.

Another got a Miley Cyrus Wedgie from me when they were not nice to MG.

I will use the fuming tent on the next troll that is not nice to MG or Cindy.

SparkPlug on January 19, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Lanceman on January 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

LANCEMAN!

Much like her hair, makeup, and wardrobe. :)

thatsafactjack on January 19, 2014 at 9:45 PM