NFL conference championships Sunday open thread

posted at 12:31 pm on January 19, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Jazz: The last day of football before the Big Game is upon us. Last week I missed a perfect record once again, going three for four. But since Ed rang up the same record, I’ll take the week on a push. (That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.) The conference championships will give us one last chance to shine, though the number of picks has dwindled. I have a feeling that I’ll be opening the door for Ed to overtake me today, but a guy’s gotta do what a guy’s gotta do.

Ed: Do I mind that you bogarted the thread even though we tied up last week? Er … I’m just surprised to be in position to complain about it.  My 3-1 last still leaves me at 3-5 for the postseason, and I’ve only got three more games to call. If I’m lucky, I’ll top .500 for the 2013 playoffs. So no, you go right ahead. Age before beauty, after all.

Jazz: The first game of the day is the AFC Championship, kicking off at 3:00 p.m. ET on CBS. It’s the Denver Broncos hosting the New England Patriots, and all the hot buzz I’m hearing seems to revolve around Peyton Manning “choking” in the big game and getting sent home in disgrace. But the Broncos have virtually all of their best weapons ready to start and the game last year where they lost to the Ravens was, in my opinion, a fluke. It’s no secret that I want anybody but New England to win, so take this pick for what it’s worth. It would be hilarious to see the Patriots make it all the way to the Big Game and lose again like they did against the Giants, but I have a hunch that this is Peyton’s year to go out on a high note and New England’s road to the Lombardi Trophy ends here. Denver over New England, 38-24 in a high scoring shootout.

Ed: So far we’re on the same page. Denver is tough to beat at home; only San Diego managed it, and they’re out of the playoffs now. (As I predicted.) However, New England only barely beat Denver in Foxboro in week 12, and it had to go to overtime. Denver’s gotten healthier and the Pats have gotten a little more beaten up. When Peyton has lost in the playoffs, it’s usually been in the first game, too. Now that he’s gotten warmed up, expect fireworks, but it’ll be Denver 45-34 over New England.

Jazz: The evening game is the NFC Championships at 6:30 p.m. ET on FOX. The 49ers are playing the Seahawks (again) in what is turning into a serious grudge match at this point. I’m guessing that a lot of the media prognosticators are going to claim that San Francisco simply can’t win in the thunderdome conditions at Seattle, but as with the last couple of weeks, I’m not buying the hype. Kaepernick is ready to go and he’ll shake off the distractions and the noise to take his team to the dance. San Fran over Seattle in a close one (maybe down to a final field goal) 27-24.

Ed: The Seahawks will be missing Percy Harvin, and the 49ers look red-hot. However, once again the home-field advantage may be the difference here. These two teams know each other very well, and both won their home games against each other — but the Seahawks blew the 49ers out in week 2, while San Francisco only barely edged Seattle at home, 19-17. Seattle won’t get the jitters we saw from Carolina last week. I’m going with the Seahawks, 27-23.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

There’s football today. MEH. I’m going to see Evita in downtown Denver.

Walter L. Newton on January 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM

…go Lions!

KOOLAID2 on January 19, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Niners..

sandee on January 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Walter L. Newton on January 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Good for you. BTW, how much is she charging these days?

TXUS on January 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Broncos-Niners!

KCB on January 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Steelers 49 – Enemy 3

Bishop on January 19, 2014 at 12:51 PM

My heart says Denver and Peyton but my head says Brady.

The Seahawks likely will squeak by in the other game.

Should be two awesome games.

There’s football today. MEH. I’m going to see Evita in downtown Denver.

Walter L. Newton on January 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Meh. Libfree’s buying I take it? Or going dutch?

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 19, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Heh. A fool and his money….

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I like the Niners with Montana over Zorn.

celtic warrior on January 19, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I’m still dumbfounded over Rex Ryan’s new contract. Even if he’s axed after next season, he gets paid an extra year (plus!) if I understand it right…

Anyway, still sayin’ it’ll be Denver/Seattle coming out with the wins.

JetBoy on January 19, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Going with the visiting team in the late game.

As for the early game, some points to ponder:

1. Jack del Rio’s defensive record against the Patriots? 0-7

2. The weather shouldn’t be a factor.

3. Peyton Manning’s post-season record? 9-11. Tom Brady? 17-7.

Too close to call this game. Of course I’ll be happy if New England wins, but considering all of their injuries over the course of the season, Coach did perhaps his best-ever job in getting them to the AFC Final 2. If he gets them to the Dance he might even get Coach of the Year.

BTW here in New England we’ve been putting up with sports talk radio callers from all over the country this past week, and I can assure you after listening to these folks that BDS is alive and well. Many are still convinced that the Patriots are “cheating” to this very day, even though there are only a few players left on the team from when the original incident took place.

But you Steelers fans might be interested to hear what Bill Cowher had to say this past week, about his team’s losses to New England in the 2001 and 2004 AFC Championship games:

“We didn’t lose the (2001) game because of any Spygate, because of them having any additional things,” Cowher said in a radio interview Wednesday, per CBS Pittsburgh. “I think if they’re guilty of anything, they’re guilty of arrogance, because they were told not to do something. But it was something that everybody does. The only thing they got caught [was] doing it with a camera. We had people that always tried to steal signals. Stealing someone’s signals was a part of the game, and everybody attempted to do that.”

-snip-

“what happened when we lost [the 2004 AFC title game] is they outplayed us, and it has nothing to do with stealing signals, or cheating, or anything else. They were a better football team on that day.”

(Ducks for cover)

Del Dolemonte on January 19, 2014 at 1:04 PM

OK Boys and Girls…

… Today’s mandatory drinking game is:

“Every time anyone says the word ‘Omaha‘, take a sip of your drinky poo!”

The second game should be a hoot…!

Enjoy!

*Cliny!*

Seven Percent Solution on January 19, 2014 at 1:06 PM

The Hawks destroyed them at home, not just this year, but last year, and barely lost on the road. They are playing with essentially the same lineup this time. On what basis is there, other than hope, to pick a Niner win?

JamesB on January 19, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Niners and Broncos are who I want to win.

That means it will probably be the Seahawks and Patriots in the Super Bowl.

gophergirl on January 19, 2014 at 1:08 PM

As Michael Vick would say, I don’t have a dog in these fights. But I’m going with Denver over the hated Patriots in a close game. I tossed a coin and pick Seattle over SF maybe in overtime.

simkeith on January 19, 2014 at 1:08 PM

-snip-

There’s enough manure in that comment to grow a football field’s worth of vegetables.

JetBoy on January 19, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Go Broncos & Seahawks.

rbj on January 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Well, I can’t disagree with the early game analysis by Jazz and Ed more. Denver is missing Miller and Harris so they’re far from healthy on defense. And their defense is at least as bad as the Pats D. Then there’s the Manning-Belichick matchup: rarely ends well for Peyton. Shootout with the first team that fails to hold serve late, losing. Since I figure that to be Denver, I’ve got the Pats, 37-34.

I agree with Ed on the late game, though I don’t think it’ll cover the over-under of 38.5. Seattle 17-10, but it won’t feel that close. By halftime, Frisco will be panicking. They can’t win in the shadow of the space needle.

BKeyser on January 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM

gophergirl on January 19, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Oh, come on Mitt. ;)

BKeyser on January 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM

(Ducks for cover)

Del Dolemonte on January 19, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Something’s living in your head.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I’m rooting for Manning, but I know better than to bet against Bellichick & Brady in the playoffs. The referees are hesitant to throw too many flags in the playoffs, and Belichick will exploit that to limit Peyton’s options. The Pats’ secondary will be blatantly mugging Decker, Welker, and the Thomases all evening, bet on it.

Patriots and Shawks, but I’ll be rooting for the Broncos and the 49ers.

Lawdawg86 on January 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I’m going with the Seahawks, 27-23.

WTG Ed!!! (wipes brow)

I had prepared two responses/comments for my friend, Mr. Morrissey, 1) thanking him for taking the Seahawks, (which he should have using the same reasoning/criteria as the Carolina choice), so there would be no jinx, and 2) admonishing him for picking the Niners.

Did any one notice the Sports Illustrated did three regional cover stories this week, leaving only the Forty Niners off the menu. Awesome! No dreaded SI Cover Kiss of Death!

Go Niners!

Rovin on January 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

May the team closest to me win.

DarkCurrent on January 19, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Think of how scary good Seattle would be if they had Percy and Sidney on the field…

Lawdawg86 on January 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Denver’s going to have to be up by more than two scores going into the final period in order to win, based not only on their recent playoff history but also Payton’s past post-season history (though to be fair, that 3rd-and-17 chunk last week when San Diego was threatening to pull a Ravens on the Broncos did look like he was channeling the post-season Eli).

Both QBs in the NFC title game have been more game managers this season than wildly explosive offensive weapons, in the way both Manning and Brady in the AFC title game have been. But Kapernick has been less so over the second half of the season than Wilson, as both Seattle and San Francisco really have only asked their signal callers to game-manage, and let their defenses set up scoring opportunities. Seattle will have the crowd as an asset today, but I’d bet more on the 49ers being able to rally late if they have to than the Seahawks. San Francisco by four, though it’s probably going to come down to which offense makes fewer critical mistakes in their own end of the field.

jon1979 on January 19, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Cowboys win both games by 17. Call your bookies, quick.

Limerick on January 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Meh. Libfree’s buying I take it? Or going dutch?

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 19, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Who’s Libfree? No… going with the family, the 4 of us. Show’s at 7:30. game is at 1:05. I’ll be able to listen to the game at home, and enough time to get downtown.

Can’t watch the game, no reception in the mountains (I live in the Rockies) and no broadband for a cable access. And I’ll be dammed if I’ll pay the rates for Dish or Direct TV.

Best I have is high speed DSL. Works fine for Netflix and internet access. But events like football games, only the AM radio.

Who’s Libfree?

Walter L. Newton on January 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM

OMG!!

As a twenty year Bronco season ticket holder, yesterday I received notification that I was chosen in the lottery for Super Bowl Tix if the Broncos win.

My son and I have been attending for those twenty years, and never had this opportunity before.

God, I can barely breathe!

phineas on January 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

6:30pm ET? That’s the middle of the night here. Out west.

When the earth starts spinning backward, you east coasters will see how it feels to constantly lose sleep and go to work still 1/2 buzzed.

wolly4321 on January 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Related: Obama says he’d never let his son play professional football.

AS IF any son he’d had could ever qualify for professional football.

“See that mountain over there? My son could move that with the flexing of his wrist, but I won’t let him.”

Obama, the implausible braggart. 57 states! He’s smart!

Lourdes on January 19, 2014 at 1:39 PM

If it is Hawks-Bronx, would that be the Marijuana Bowl?

phineas on January 19, 2014 at 1:39 PM

phineas on January 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

All I can say is I hope you will be going to the Superbowl.

Barred on January 19, 2014 at 1:44 PM

God, I can barely breathe!

phineas on January 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I hope you get to attend. I went to SB X as a very young kid and have never forgotten it. Was smart enough to take a few pictures and kept the ticket stub. Wanna guess the “face value” on the stub?

VegasRick on January 19, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Uh, games don’t start at 1PM this week. So maybe just a little premature on this one.

deadrody on January 19, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Obama Compares Pro Football to Smoking, Says He Wouldn’t Let Son Play

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 2:05 PM

JamesB on January 19, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Crabtree.

He makes the difference and wasn’t there in the first game and made a difference in the second game. He made a huge difference against Carolina and spreads the field out and relieves Davis and Bouldin from double coverage. The Niners offense has exploded upward since he’s been back

journeymike on January 19, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Steelers in a landslide and then on to the Super…..wait..what….seriously..ah…never mind. Wake me when that weird big-eared golfing vacationing punk’s out of DC.

msupertas on January 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM

6:30pm ET? That’s the middle of the night here. Out west.

wolly4321 on January 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Are you sure about that? Or did you mean 6:30am ET?

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Obama Compares Pro Football to Smoking, Says He Wouldn’t Let Son Play

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Wow! Maybe if Obama’s hoodie-wearing street thug of a son was allowed to play football he wouldn’t be such a wuss.

Happy Nomad on January 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Jazz distinguished herself as a true Jets nutcase by suggesting that being a mediocre also ran team is more of an accomplishment than getting to the Super Bowl, even if in a losing effort. It must be tuff when you just don’t have any ammo.

tractah on January 19, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Phil Simms is calling The Patriots Broncos game? He sucks!

birdwatcher on January 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM

tractah on January 19, 2014 at 2:13 PM

What are you talking about?

VegasRick on January 19, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 19, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I’m with you on that Del. Haters need to get over it.

After my 3/1 last week, This week I’m picking Brady over Manning. Patriots beat Denver this season they know how to do it and the Pats have changed their play style in such a way that Denver has no clue what they are going to get, run game, pass game or balanced mix.

Patriots coaching and players are over all better than Denver.

Likewise, I think the 49ers will beat the Seahawks.

dogsoldier on January 19, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Comparing professional football to boxing and smoking, President Barack Obama said that if he had a son he would not let him play pro football because of the risk of concussions. Last year, Obama said that he would have to think “long and hard” before he would let his son play football.

What about Pop Warner, High School, College? You pansy, if was built like you he might make water boy. Course, if built like the lobster queen, He. Might. Go. All. The. Way.

I’m thinking a son who would be qualified to play pro ball would not worry about a father’s telling him he couldn’t play.

We’ve seen you (try to) throw a ball, Mr. Mom Pants.

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 2:24 PM

What red-blooded American father would tell his son he couldn’t play professional football?

And I’m talking about real football, not that nancy-boy kickball they play in Europe.

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Happy Nomad on January 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM

A dead wuss, killed by a “h0m0sexual white Hispanic.”

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 2:32 PM

6:30pm ET? That’s the middle of the night here. Out west.

wolly4321 on January 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

You must be even further out west than I am

DarkCurrent on January 19, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Go Niners!!!!!

JAGonzo on January 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Who’s Libfree?

Walter L. Newton on January 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Heh…in this case, consider ignorance to be bliss. :)

JetBoy on January 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Oh, and the pres is a pu$$y, so it’s no wonder.

JAGonzo on January 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM

New England Wins
Brady Rules!
Go SeaHags!

philw1776 on January 19, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Pats/49ers.

John the Libertarian on January 19, 2014 at 2:47 PM

OMG!!

God, I can barely breathe!

phineas on January 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Oh fun I hope the Broncos win just so you can go.

I remember when my Dad showed me the letter saying we had playoff/world series tickets. Some of the most fun I’ve ever had.

gophergirl on January 19, 2014 at 2:53 PM

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about picking pro football, never go with your heart over your head. Thus, it should be quite revealing as to my feeling about the Pats given that I’m going with my heart and picking Manning and the Broncs. I’ll take the Niners in the late game. Harbaugh’s a former Colt and he signed his autograph on my boy’s shirt during his Indy years and I guess that’s as good a reason as any to base my pick on in a game I really can’t get excited about. OMAHA

tommyboy on January 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Let’s go Niners! Crush the Seachickens.

njrob on January 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM

OMAHA!

esr1951 on January 19, 2014 at 3:10 PM

tommyboy on January 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Where’s the fun in that? If Redskins fans were ever to go with their heart over their head, then what the team should be called would be some other city’s problem.

Happy Nomad on January 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Omaha, everyone take a drink!

rbj on January 19, 2014 at 3:15 PM

…can Nancy Pelosi give us some of her football insight again…I need that…in order to pick!

KOOLAID2 on January 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM

More Omaha!

rbj on January 19, 2014 at 3:52 PM

This Omaha crap is getting old. The only thing the national media knows about this state is that Old Man Buffet lives here. We like it better when we’re ignored.

NebCon on January 19, 2014 at 4:09 PM

GO HAWKS!

dont taze me bro on January 19, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Palate cleanser at halftime:

My guess is Rick Harrison is a conservative. I don’t many, if any, liberals who would do this.

BobMbx on January 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM

OMG!!

God, I can barely breathe!

phineas on January 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Just spoke to the Pres about that….he says that if you like your Super Bowl tickets, you can keep your Super Bowl tickets.

Sleep well…..

BobMbx on January 19, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Omaha touchdown!

rbj on January 19, 2014 at 4:55 PM

17 points is not enough to feel comfortable against the Pats.

flataffect on January 19, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Looking pretty comfortable after that sack.

tommyboy on January 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Pot Roast!

esr1951 on January 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM

what’s that I hear…….could it be a fat lady singing?

tommyboy on January 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Reviewing my Pats – Broncos prediction. Never mind.

BKeyser on January 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM

So, when will the New England Patriots show up for this game?
– signed,
Redskins fan.

ExpressoBold on January 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Comparing professional football to boxing and smoking…

Oh! I’d love to get in the ring with Obama.

Vince on January 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Damn, NE TD.

rbj on January 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM

THOMAS!

esr1951 on January 19, 2014 at 5:40 PM

2h
Photo: Balloons launch at the start of the Denver-New England AFC title game – Instagram’s joanniesen
==============================

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 5:48 PM

CBSSports.com ‏@CBSSports 1h

This is undoubtedly the fan of the day. (via @USATSportsImage) pic.twitter.com/9HjKZS8N4W
Retweeted by NFLonCBS
=====================

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Crap, another one.

rbj on January 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Stopped!

rbj on January 19, 2014 at 5:53 PM

NFLonCBS ‏@NFLonCBS 4m

.@Patriots Tom Brady keeps the ball for the TD, 4th career postseason rushing TD, but they don’t get the 2 point conversion, 26-16 #NEvsDEN
========

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 5:58 PM

NFLonCBS ‏@NFLonCBS 1h

#ICYMI: @Patriots Tom Brady talked with @DanMarino about squaring off against Peyton Manning and more http://ow.ly/sJBSF #NEvsDEN
View summary
==============

Brady on facing off with Peyton
Tom Brady sat down with The NFL Today’s Dan Marino to discuss New England’s rushing attack, squaring off against Peyton Manning as well as possibly heading to the Super Bowl for the sixth time.

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM

That is the game.

esr1951 on January 19, 2014 at 6:03 PM

OK Boys and Girls…

… Today’s mandatory drinking game is:

“Every time anyone says the word ‘Omaha‘, take a sip of your drinky poo!”

Seven Percent Solution on January 19, 2014 at 1:06 PM

…we are all drunk!…OC is sitting in front of the TV…going “WHAT?…WHAT DO YOU WANT!

KOOLAID2 on January 19, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Yay, Denver!

rbj on January 19, 2014 at 6:03 PM

phineas on January 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Pack your bags!

gophergirl on January 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Apologies to NebCon, but one last OMAHA!

esr1951 on January 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM

And the Golden Boy turns to lead.

rbj on January 19, 2014 at 6:05 PM

YAY,YAY, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barred on January 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM

NFL playoffs
5m

Denver Broncos and Peyton Manning advance to the Super Bowl, with 26-16 win over Patriots – @NFLonCBS
read more on cbssports.com
==========================

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Denver covers the spread – and in the second game I’m taking San Francisco and the 3.5 points.

TarheelBen on January 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Defense, Baby! Who would have thought they’d beat the Pats with only 26 points? There’s more to the Broncos than Peyton Manning.

I do not envy the 49ers in the second game. It may not rain, but it’s going to pour.

flataffect on January 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Reviewing my Pats – Broncos prediction. Never mind.

BKeyser on January 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I expected the Patriots. What was that?

They stunk up the field. Every aspect of the Patriots game was shockingly poor. Wow.

dogsoldier on January 19, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Pack your bags!

gophergirl on January 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM

They are packed!

Number one son just called, “Is this real life?” I am just goosebumpy.

phineas on January 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Brady was very subdued in the post game interview.

esr1951 on January 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

There’s more to the Broncos than Peyton Manning.

Yep.

Their running game and defense is awesome.

terryannonline on January 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Brady was very subdued in the post game interview.

I haven’t seen a Brady that defeated since Cindy only had one ticket to give to one parent for her school play.

Moesart on January 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Seattle for the win…

JetBoy on January 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM

The Associated Press ‏@AP 12m

Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos head to the Super Bowl after a 26-16 victory over Tom Brady and the Patriots: http://apne.ws/19FQdXM
View summary
============

By EDDIE PELLS
— Jan. 19, 2014 6:22 PM EST
****************************

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Ann Wilson still has pipes.

climbnjump on January 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM

The 12th man schtick is so lame. I hope the Niners gag em

Lawdawg86 on January 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Props to the Broncos for shutting down New England’s running game and controlling time of possession. A quick perusal of the stats shows that those were the two deciding factors-in nearly every other stat the two teams were too close together to call.

27 days until pitchers and catchers report!

Del Dolemonte on January 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM