Hoboken Mayor Zimmer has a lot of (differing) stories to tell

posted at 3:31 pm on January 19, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

The accusations being hurled against Chris Christie have been flying fast and furious lately, (as Allahpundit has reminded us of at length) and a lot of them have been coming from MSNBC. The latest is really a doozy, too.

Two senior members of Gov. Chris Christie’s administration warned a New Jersey mayor earlier this year that her town would be starved of hurricane relief money unless she approved a lucrative redevelopment plan favored by the governor, according to the mayor and emails and personal notes she shared with msnbc. The mayor, Dawn Zimmer, hasn’t approved the project, but she did request $127 million in hurricane relief for her city of Hoboken – 80% of which was underwater after Sandy hit in October 2012. What she got was $142,000 to defray the cost of a single back-up generator plus an additional $200,000 in recovery grants.

Wow! That’s a pretty serious charge. If true, it’s clearly a combination of conspiracy and extortion which should, at a minimum, be a gross violation of ethics if not flatly illegal. In either case, it’s clearly corruption. But as our own Guy Benson reports at Townhall, this is a slightly different story than Mayor Zimmer was previously peddling.

Hmmm. A New Jersey reporter notes that Zimmer peddled a similar story, but with different details, to him eight days ago:

So last week, Christie was withholding Sandy funding in retaliation for her lack of endorsement. Now she says it was all about a development deal. That’s a suspicious evolution.

Suspicious barely covers it. If the conversation in question took place that long ago, how was it that the incident wasn’t immediately reported to the state Attorney General? Or possibly even the FBI. Either way, she must have really been angry with the Christie administration and ready to do battle with them. But wait… the story thickens. Here are a few things she had to say back in August of last year.

These really don’t sound like the comments of a person who was in the middle of a shakedown at the hands of the Governor’s office. Even if we’re to believe that Zimmer was simply engaging in, “New Jersey politics as usual” or feared additional retribution if she went public with her allegations, that’s no reason to go out and heap praise on the guy. She could have simply kept her mouth shut, biding her time until after the issues at hand were resolved. And even that doesn’t make much sense, because by failing to report the alleged extortion she was tacitly engaging in it herself. (Or at least giving the appearance of it.)

There are clearly more questions to be asked – particularly of Hoboken’s Mayor – before we get to the bottom of this mess.

Comments

She got conflicting memos from OFA about the line of attack on Christie.

rbj on January 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Mayor Zimmer is acting like a small child playing with hammer box. Ohh, this square peg doesn’t fit in the round hole. Let’s try the star shaped hole instead!

blammm on January 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM

She may be dishonest, but what’s interesting to me is that pro-amnesty Jazz Shaw and Guy Benson have seemed eager to defend their fellow pro-illegal alien amnesty RINO Chris Christie whenever possible.

bluegill on January 19, 2014 at 3:45 PM

…who cares?

KOOLAID2 on January 19, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Another liar.

forest on January 19, 2014 at 3:46 PM

…who cares?

KOOLAID2 on January 19, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I personally don’t care about Christie. I just find it funny when all of these Democrats in New Jersey are missing badly on the hatchet swings that they hope will fell the tree.

blammm on January 19, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Lol. Dream on.

/MSM

Gator Country on January 19, 2014 at 3:52 PM

The politicians everywhere in the country are so corrupt, so amoral (and so stupid–Guam tipping over) that the system is imploding. Now that the process has begun, there’s no rescuing it until it hits bottom.

vityas on January 19, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Oh, great! Another fat-boy thread, just what we needed…

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Please. MSNBC has footage by now of fat boy giving George Zimmerman a gun. Christie better come out as the progressive thug he really is by sundown.
Demonazi’s spank. And they pass the walk/talk test so shove it Godwin. Respectfully.

onomo on January 19, 2014 at 4:11 PM

What a tangled web we weave
When we practice to deceive.

EB

EdmundBurke247 on January 19, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Hoboken Mayor Zimmer has a lot of (differing) stories to tell

Postmodernism. As the story changes you, the story changes which changes you.

Kinda like Hegelian dialectic but not really. It was, but I changed.

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Hoboken Mayor Zimmer has a lot of (differing) stories to tell = LiAr.

avagreen on January 19, 2014 at 4:33 PM

What a tangled web we weave
When we practice to deceive.

EB

EdmundBurke247 on January 19, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Hey! I said that first. He…you ripped me off. Sorry. No, come to think of it, what I said was, “Hey Governor Christie! Where you goin’ w/ the orphanage funds!?”
Again, I apologize. Never liked the Rino. Surprised really. Fully expected the state run media to pull him thru the primary before they pinata-ed him like a McCain or Romney.
First drop of blood in the water and they just couldn’t hold back I guess. But look at me, piling on. Did I mentioned Christie kicked my dog?

onomo on January 19, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Something fishy’s going on. Christie’s lawyers need to start subpoenaing some emails.

Buddahpundit on January 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Harry Reid, according to a reliable source, is a pedophile.

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 4:46 PM

EdmundBurke247 on January 19, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Please accept my apology for stepping on you comment. You carry the weight of you namesake here, and I was just being silly and crude.

onomo on January 19, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Forget it, Jake. It’s New Jersey.

flataffect on January 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM

As long as the Media Lying Machine is working smoothly, nothing a Dem says or does matters.

CYA is the true motto of the Media.

They support their own, whether a myth-moocher like Elizabeth Warren or the Tyro Buffoon In Chief Barack

profitsbeard on January 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM

The Alinsky/DNC hit squad.
Don’t jump onto their dung heap, they’re stinking up America.

kregg on January 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Nobody cares nationally about the Mayor of Hoboken. The person who needs to worry about keeping his story straight is Christie.

Fenris on January 19, 2014 at 5:16 PM

bluegill on January 19, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I normally don’t get involved in these kind of spats, but in this case I will. I would ask you to show me one… JUST ONE.. case where I supported amnesty or was in some way on the wrong side of this question.

I would point you to my two most recent posts on the issue.

Now you can show me where I wrote something different than that or you are free to say you may have been mistaken on this one.

Jazz Shaw on January 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM

yeah, it’s kinda odd her changing her story but this:

if true means that there is something wrong going on whatever the reason

chasdal on January 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I’ve never been a really fan of Christie. But….You know the longer this slander/lying fest goes on, I’m thinking he’s some HUGE threat to the progs. Which is great news!

Most likely, and possibly because he’s leftist enough to get enough moderate votes to push out the lying Benghazi murdering heifer from winning the Presidency. ….Which would upset the applecart for the complete takeover of this country by the anti-American prog crowd.

Don’t know what the conservative cause would gain from his winning (other than thwarting the progs, which is always a good thing), but at least it’s got the Alinskyites shyting in their drawers and puking out their guts over this.

As I’ve said before…….some days the only choices in life are between chitty and more chitty. Your/our job is to choose the less chitty.

Which, at this point, would seem to be ….Christie. *_*

avagreen on January 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Did MSNBC tell us the name of the person on the other side of the email who was extorting the woman? If you take that paragraph as it’s written, you have the proof right there. It wouldn’t be an anonymous email.

Buddahpundit on January 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Jazz Shaw on January 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM

You’ll be waiting a long time before you get bluegill admitting a mistake but good on you for calling bluegill out on it.

Vince on January 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM

if true means that there is something wrong going on whatever the reason

chasdal on January 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM

We don’t know that. What is the mayor gonna do with the money? They probably got lots of money apart from this specific fund.

It’s ridiculous to suggest that a governor is openly extorting a mayor like this. In emails, yet. It’s a bad Hollywood script.

Buddahpundit on January 19, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Jazz Shaw on January 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM

“Love means never having to say your sorry.” signed, bluegill

arnold ziffel on January 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM

if true means that there is something wrong going on whatever the reason

chasdal on January 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM

To be fair, we don’t know what her city got from FEMA grants or anything else that wasn’t funneled through the Gov’s office.

Spliff Menendez on January 19, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Christie, abortion: http://familypolicy.net/us/?p=9975/

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM

“Love means never having to say your sorry.” signed, bluegill

arnold ziffel on January 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM

..LOL!

KOOLAID2 on January 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM

For the record, Christie pretty much lost me when he bailed on gun owner rights. I wasn’t one of his cheerleaders to start with, but as a Northeasterner I liked his style. But yeah… that was pretty much a bridge too far.

Jazz Shaw on January 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Jazz Shaw on January 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Pretty much my experience.

I initially saw in him a republican who would take the dhimmicRATs head-on. But he is no conservative, so, so long.

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM

The issue is the seriousness of the charge not whether the evidence is faked./Dan Rather

Since the governor was running for reelection, I would think he would want to get as much aid out with his name on it as fast as possible rather than hold it up over a development project. Of course, the mere fact the charge is made is enough for the useful idiots it does not have to make any sense.

KW64 on January 19, 2014 at 7:10 PM

****** ALERT ****!!

Chris Christie Sandy funds investigation
2m
Hoboken, N.J., mayor turns over journal to federal authorities; says Christie threatened to withhold Sandy aid – @NorthJerseybrk
read more on northjersey.com
============================

canopfor on January 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM

80% of Hoboken underwater???

Geez, why didn’t my inlaws tell me.

Well, my area is about 95% under 4-6 inches of water for the past 2 months.

WryTrvllr on January 19, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Another DNC lie and a stupid liberal mayor. When will the morons in the NE ever learn?

ultracon on January 19, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Hey, ultracon, what super-smart area of the country are YOU from?

There are plenty of voters in the NE who abhor Obama and progressives in general. Painting with such a broad brush just shows who the real moron is.

I’m basically agnostic about Christie. But I really would hate to see the Dems/MSNBC/MSM get the satisfaction of running Christie out of politics. Actually, it would be delicious to see him come out of this stronger than ever, just to annoy them and prove that they can’t always destroy those they dislike or fear.

Meredith on January 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Maybe she’s been told she has nothing to worry about from the DOJ if she toes the line in keeping this Christiegate story going.

Kissmygrits on January 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Avagreen,

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Sorry to be so late in responding. I’ve been out in the hinterlands fighting the good fight.

That link sure sounds like one I’ve posted before. ;-)

I’ll bookmark it just the same.

avagreen on January 20, 2014 at 7:58 PM

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Jazz Shaw on January 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Pretty much my experience.

davidk on January 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I’m all in for Cruz and am totally aware that the MSM will tear him up limb from limb which the low-info voters will eat up and refuse to vote for him.

What is the answer at this point,considering this Democrat/prog propaganda machine?

Even with the loon Christie, they are doing a pretty good job of disabling any chances for him.

What is the answer?