Video – AZ homeowner, robbed twice in two days, reduces crime rate

posted at 10:01 am on January 18, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Another story crosses the Hot Air desk this weekend which appears to invoke the Castle Doctrine, this one taking place in Arizona. A septuagenarian homeowner was awakened in the middle of the night by the sounds of someone entering his residence. When the subject turned out to be a stranger, rather than a family member, the homeowner took steps to secure the premises.

PHOENIX – Police say a Phoenix homeowner shot and killed an intruder Friday morning.

Phoenix police Sgt. Tommy Thompson said the shooting happened inside a home near 43rd Avenue and Bethany Home Road.

The suspect has been identified as 30-year-old William Thomas Mackey.

Thompson said officers responded to the home around 3:20 a.m. where the 77-year-old resident told them someone had burglarized his home the day before and that he was awakened on Friday by an intruder.

He said he realized the intruder was not a family member and got a shotgun. He told police he feared for his life and fired one shot at the suspect who was struck and fell to the ground.

The homeowner – who is not named in the story – doesn’t live in a safe neighborhood. Not only had he been robbed the night before, one of his neighbors interviewed for the story said she had been burglarized six times. It’s not hard to understand how someone in their seventies might seek to make sure they had the tools at their disposal to defend themselves and their property.

Following our story on Wednesday – which elicited a lot of comments from readers – I began wondering how many of these stories take place around the country without ever drawing any national media attention. (To be fair, this is a question raised by some of the commenters first.) It seems like every single time some maniac / bad guy pulls a gun and kills somebody, CNN, MSNBC and the rest of the national media are all over the story, dwelling on it for days and embarking on long tirades of “the deeper meaning” of the event. This seems to fit into the media theme that guns are inherently bad, and if there were only less of them there would somehow be less bad guys, or at least the bad guys would be less effective. I suppose there is some hypothetical truth to that if guns had never been invented, but the entire planet is full of them.

But when a citizen uses a weapon to defend themselves, their family or property from a perpetrator you only find the story in the local media and it quickly disappears down the memory hole. One reader mentioned an effort some bloggers were undertaking to compile an archive of these types of stories, but I haven’t located it yet. It seems like useful information to have at hand when elected officials are debating more gun grabbing laws in Washington and around the states.

This story also highlights what appears to be another highly disturbing trend. The reports we’re reading seem to show a definite pattern of criminals intentionally targeting the elderly who either live in remote, rural areas or more dangerous neighborhoods with insufficient police protection and community involvement. With that in mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if gun ownership was increasing among senior citizens even faster than among younger adults. It’s something to dig into this year, so we’ll try to see what statistics are available. (Your input is welcome as always.)

In closing, here’s the video of the news story covering this case. The floor is open for discussion.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

No that’s not Pauline Kael! That’s loveofzimbabwe!

Sheesh!

Lanceman on January 18, 2014 at 7:17 PM

But in Zimbabwe everyone’s a billionaire! Who wouldn’t go for that?!

alchemist19 on January 18, 2014 at 7:20 PM

You must be a socialist if you don’t know what private firm means.

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM

It’s now apparent you’re a troll…and not even a very bright one, at that; so…Off to the ‘Bin of Irrelevance’ with you!

a5minmajor on January 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Damn. I’m out of SteamMaster coupons. Otherwise, I’d send him one.

NoPain on January 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Or, the ones who get free everything, including iPhones. Enjoy that bitter taste you vote for, idiot.
AllahsNippleHair on January 18, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Oh man. I definitely didn’t get my free iPhone. I had to buy mine. I will repeat myself, I will vote for a 3rd term Obama along with his republican ACA plan which I am not a fan of before I even think of pulling the lever for a pro tea party candidate.

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM

You paid for your fellow voter’s iPhone, stupid. Google reading comprehension.
And, there is no need to repeat yourself, I understood you perfectly, chump. You are stuck on stupid.

AllahsNippleHair on January 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Forgot to add, “Way to go, Gramps. You saved the taxpayers a lot of money.”

NoPain on January 18, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Please define the phrase I bolded.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM

You must be a socialist if you don’t know what private firm means.

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM

You must be a Democrat Voter if you leave out 50% of the 4 words I bolded. Thanks for admitting you’re unable to answer my challenge.

A+

Let’s try again. Tell us, in your own words, why your Cult Leader, despite having a national media totally in the tank for him since 2007, is currently at 39% job approval.

And then tell us, in your own words, why his predecessor fell to 39% with the media calling him an illegitimate President starting before he even took office.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM

LOC:

You stated why you don’t like the Tea Party.

Can you cite your specific sources where you learned all those things about the Tea Party?

What is it you don’t like about ACA. Do you prefer single payer?

And finally, do you realize that the purpose of ACA is not to provide healthcare but instead to cap incomes and create a two tiered healthcare system which will deny real healthcare to most Americans? FYI, the subsidy structure is designed to make it virtually impossible for single person to earn more than $45K and a married couple make more that $62k. The medicaid provisions are designed to keep people on welfare. The effective marginal tax on medicaid recipients on the high end of eligibility exceeds 100% It also penalizes marriage. So given ACA do you really think that the Obama wants to help the middle class. All he has done is redefine to be the second quintile of income. Everybody above the median income is rich as far as Obama is concerned.

jerryofva on January 18, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I guess I can relate to loveofsierraleone. Because of me and 536 other patriots, we put George W. Bush in the WH. Were he able to run in ’08, I’d have voted for him a third time as I know the ‘crisis’ was not, a large part, his fault. I’d have voted for him simply because he was a real man. I never considered that traitorous McCain as one.

Lanceman on January 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM

*cough*
Waiting………

avagreen on January 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM

*cough*
Waiting………

avagreen on January 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM

loveofcommunism…is coughing too!…but it is bent over right now!…wait until…it is out!

KOOLAID2 on January 18, 2014 at 7:56 PM

On the bright side for this particular burglar, he doesn’t have to worry about life without his man parts….

dentarthurdent on January 18, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Del, Del, Del – that’s clearly just not in today’s OFA talking points.

dentarthurdent on January 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM

The talking head at the end of the video clips declares that there are “a lot of loose ends.”

WTF?

Sounds like self defense to me. This should have been wrapped up at the scene. And the cops should have said, “Thanks for thinning the herd of a criminal.”

BuckeyeSam on January 18, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I see Del silenced the troll.

his republican ACA plan

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Which Republicans wrote it and voted for it? Do tell!

FO with your lame games. It’s your plan …you own it. Karma. It will rage within your days…and I hope the worst.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Oh man. I definitely didn’t get my free iPhone…
loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM

You keep telling your lies…leech.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 18, 2014 at 8:08 PM

…Obama along with his republican ACA plan…

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Well duh. It’s because of Obama’s Republican Obamacare law that no Republicans voted for.

rogerb on January 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM

rogerb on January 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Love of country is just a follower. He cannot even come up with original snark based in truth.

Not really much there. Top 5 dimwitted troll of all time at HA.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 18, 2014 at 8:16 PM

…Obama along with his republican ACA plan…

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM

rogerb on January 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM

It stings! Lol.

AllahsNippleHair on January 18, 2014 at 8:16 PM

what if the burglar was a down-on-his-luck unemployed schmoe trying to feed his 2 kids?

nonpartisan on January 18, 2014 at 11:09 AM

This troll is an idiot and incapable of analytic thought and basic reasoning, like most useful idiots liberals.

IIRC, this moron claims to have graduated from Harvard Law.

Let’s assume this is might be true, that he was doing this to feed his starving kids, and consider what other options the perp had.

Shoplifting from a big supermarket during the busiest time of the day is a lot easier than breaking and entering someone’s home at 3 AM in the morning to steal something to feed your starving kids. And they most definitely will not shoot you if they catch you.

And if he isn’t stealing food from a private residence at 3 AM he has to pawn whatever it is he is stealing, or sell it on the street, to get some cash to buy food.

And… getting food stamps is even easier and a lot less dangerous.

Harvard Law? Yeah, right. The troll is a liar, too.

farsighted on January 18, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Only 5.1 out of every 10 Americans voted for him in 2012

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I hate to quibble with Del, but that would be 5.1 out of every 10 eligible voters who bothered to vote. Since only about 2/3rds of eligible voters voted, that comes to about a third of Americans.

Billy Jeff was elected in 1992 by about 25% of Americans.

That we have a government elected by the people and for the people is a myth. And considering the massive size of and the ever expanding power of the Executive branch, and that it is dominated by bureaucrats who are liberal Democrats, we are ruled by a government representing at best represent a third of the population.

Iraq’s Saddam probably had almost that much popular support from his Sunni constituency.

Government of the people and by the people my ass.

farsighted on January 18, 2014 at 8:42 PM

His approval could be at minus 10.

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Math is hard for useful idiots.

farsighted on January 18, 2014 at 8:51 PM

loveofcountry = HotAirLib

farsighted on January 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM

loveofcountry = HotAirLib

farsighted on January 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I miss HAL. He used to sing Daisy.

Lanceman on January 18, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Where do you live? I want to come over and take all your $hit. That’s okay with you, right?

Bandit13 on January 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM

no, I would beat your ass and call the cops on you pee my pants as the bullet/K-Bar/ball peen hammer entered my eye socket

nonpartisan on January 18, 2014 at 12:43 PM

A more likely scenario.

S. D. on January 18, 2014 at 9:21 PM

nonpartisan on January 18, 2014 at 11:09 AM

The mathematical chances for his two kid to be fed anytime soon would rise exponentially.

Did you have any “hard” questions?

hawkdriver on January 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM

loveofcountry = HotAirLib

farsighted on January 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Nope. MJBrutus.

hawkdriver on January 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM

farsighted on January 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Nope. MJBrutus.

hawkdriver on January 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Nope. Forget I said that. I’m smoking crack tonight instead of drinking my usual glass of red wine.

LostMotherLand is MJBrutus.

hawkdriver on January 18, 2014 at 9:38 PM

LostMotherLand is MJBrutus.

hawkdriver on January 18, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Bruti never got axed.

Lanceman on January 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Bruti never got axed.

Lanceman on January 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I know.

hawkdriver on January 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM

nonpartisan on January 18, 2014 at 11:09 AM

The mathematical chances for his two kid to be fed anytime soon would decline exponentially.

I’m a soup sandwich tonight. I’m banning myself for a day for posting like a noob.

hawkdriver on January 18, 2014 at 9:56 PM

nonpartisan on January 18, 2014 at 11:09 AM

So what you’re saying is it’s Obama’s fault! RACIST!!!!

Liberty or Death on January 18, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I had a conversation with a “Reader’s Representative” about this once.

“‘Man bites dog’ is news”, he said, “it’s not what is expected. ‘Dog doesn’t bite man’ is not news. That’s how the world is supposed to work. ‘Bad guy shoots good guy’ is news. ‘Good guy justifiably shoots bad guy’ or ‘Good guy pulls gun, bad guy runs away’ is how the world is supposed to work. Not news. I wish it was.”

htom on January 19, 2014 at 12:29 AM

jerryofva on January 18, 2014 at 6:39 PM

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I keep hearing tell that the “Tea Party” is the minority.
Y’all liberals have to make up your minds.

Also, who in the “Tea Party is NOT part of the “hard working,American middle class”?

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I’ll credit you with calling it an “opinion”.

jerryofva on January 18, 2014 at 6:39 PM

And I know you probably won’t believe this because you have been programmed to believe everyone who disagrees with you is some kind of govt worker or welfare queen but I actually work for a ** credible private entity firm ** with zero reliance on the government.

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Please define the phrase I bolded.

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM

You must be a socialist if you don’t know what private firm means.

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM

A+

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Okay love’, let’s see that definition of ALL four words Del’ ‘emboldened’. I even added a ‘double asterisks’ to make it easier to recognize exactly which four words are being addressed.

listens2glenn on January 19, 2014 at 1:41 AM

I’m not saying the old guy should be jailed, but I do think he acted a bit recklessly

why not aim for the guys legs at the very least…not every shot has to be a mortal one

crippling the intruder would’ve served the same purpose

nonpartisan on January 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Uh, because raging fools such as yourself would be lining up the pro bono lawyers to sue the homeowner for taking away his ability to work rob more people to feed his kids.

91Veteran on January 19, 2014 at 1:44 AM

why wouldnt shooting the legs work?

nonpartisan on January 18, 2014 at 11:57 AM

What if?

What if he were shot in the legs, and while rolling around on the floor messing up the carpet he pulls his own gun and shoots the homeowner?

91Veteran on January 19, 2014 at 1:48 AM

his republican ACA plan

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Which Republicans wrote it and voted for it? Do tell!

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Since the Heritage Foundation did a report that essentially said, “If you do that, you will need to have an Individual Mandate to make it work,” Lefties all over the place are calling it a Republican Idea.

Mind you the ACA was a dusted off copy of HillaryCare from a Senate Staffer’s drawer that Max Baucus introduced and because of the Election of Scott Brown became the law we now have.

So even the DNA of this law was opposed by Republicans.

jaydee_007 on January 19, 2014 at 2:36 AM

Already answered your question. If the answer offends you, I don’t know what else to tell you. Your tea party group is anti minority and anti hard working middle class America. I base that opinion on numerous posts and conversations I have engaged in with tea party conservatives.

And I know you probably won’t believe this because you have been programmed to believe everyone who disagrees with you is some kind of govt worker or welfare queen but I actually work for a credible private entity firm with zero reliance on the government.

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Your master must be proud. To roll in the stench of his racism and tell other people they offend. He’s done well with you and your “credible private entity firm with zero reliance on the government”. Bet he lets you think you built it. Bet you think he’ll let you get off the porch anytime you want.

I know you probably won’t believe this but you have been programmed to believe everyone who disagress with you is… programmed.Your only “discussion” with a tea party conservative is the rhetoric you write here. You’ve been too indoctrinated to hate to think of exchanging ideas with someone. Liberalism is the destruction of liberty. Progressivism is tribalism. Orwell prophesied your coming. Alinsky your patron saint.

onomo on January 19, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Video – AZ homeowner, robbed twice in two days, reduces crime rate

I just love feel good stories with happy endings. This is “Love Story” and “Cats” all rolled up into a big ball of warm fuzzy smarmy cuddly feelings. “Love means never having to say you missed the target.”

Mojave Mark on January 19, 2014 at 8:16 AM

why wouldnt shooting the legs work?

nonpartisan on January 18, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Why wouldn’t staying the eff out of a house that isn’t your own or not taking stuff that you don’t own work?

Why is the burden always on the lawful homeowner?

Huckabye-Romney on January 19, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I was comforted to see that he used a White House approved weapon.

rhombus on January 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 7:05 PM

You must be a socialist if you don’t know what private firm means.

loveofcountry on January 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM

A+

Del Dolemonte on January 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Anytime you’re ready, sweetheart. Just let us know when you get out of “conference”.

Del Dolemonte on January 19, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Nonpartisan,

I’m going to ignore the rest of the stuff and just answer your particular question: “Why didn’t he shoot for the legs?” with facts.

I have two concrete suggestions:
1) Google police procedural. here is one example.

2) Look up your closest firearms range and rent a weapon for an hour or two of shooting to get some idea of how difficult it is.

From these things, and from personal observation, I present three facts:

1) Shooting a suspect in the leg from any range is not a trivial shot. To have any prayer of doing it you had best be an olympic-class marksman with plenty of time to set up. People with little or no training (i.e. one qualifying shoot a year) under pressure are not going to be able to pull it off.

2) Shooting at the leg does not guarantee that the target will be stopped. The logic behind both civilian and police use of firearms is that the suspect poses an immediate threat to life and limb who must be stopped. A person shot in the leg may not be stopped, and may have more than enough in them, at close quarters, to beat the pistoleer to death with a baseball bat or similar, especially if the suspect is in physical prime while the gunner is a 77-year-old man.

3) Shooting a person in the leg will not stop them immediately, but there’s no guarantee it won’t kill the suspect in a few hours. I know someone whose brother managed to shoot himself in the foot while holstering a loaded gun. He hung on the edge of life and death , and in fact “died” on the operating table at least twice, due to massive blood loss, and his body produced so many toxins during that period that his kidneys et al are never going to work properly again. If it were not for modern medicines and hospitals, he WOULD be dead.

Several hours after the event.

So “shooting at the legs” is a bad idea. You’re almost certain to miss, if you don’t miss it may not stop the bad guy quick enough to save your life, and your act of misguided “mercy” might very well kill the bad guy enemy, but not fast enough to save your life or prevent him bleeding out slowly.

Thus, for either police or civilians , the logic is the same: If you are in a position where you MUST use a firearm in defense of self or others, the only answer is to aim center mass and keep pulling the trigger until the suspect stops moving.

Nothing else will work.

Disclaimer: While googling I came across rumors that police in the Czech Republic do indeed shoot at the legs. That may or may not be true, but even if it is no one else does.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell2 on January 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Brian:

A shot to a leg that hits the femoral artery guarantees death in few minutes without almost instantaneous treatment. You don’t need to hit someone in the head or heart to quickly kill someone.

jerryofva on January 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM

jerryofva:

Perhaps so, but I don’t even know where the femoral artery is to shoot at it.

Having spent some time on the range with air force types when I was a contractor, I have no illusions of my own marksmanship ability (broad sides of the barn breathe easily in my vicinity) and if I have to I will definitely aim center-mass, as I stand a chance of actually hitting it.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell2 on January 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Have you tried Eugene Volokh?

drwilliams on January 19, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Femoral runs down the inside area of the thigh, nature’s design for most protective. The the arm’s main artery (brachial)likewise down the inside of the upper arm.
And I too am no friend of a barn’s broadside. Though they do not fear me. Biden’s fav do make a nice pattern though.

onomo on January 19, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Have you tried Eugene Volokh?

drwilliams on January 19, 2014 at 2:01 PM

onomo on January 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM

For some reason, a Queen song comes to mind.

msupertas on January 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

“Tie Your Mother Down”? “I’m In Love With My Car”? “Sheer Heart Attack”? :)

BillH on January 19, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Back in the day, when the law was rational, a conviction of a nighttime breaking and entering into an occupied dwelling was a capital offense. (See: English Common Law)

Let me break it down for you bleeding heart types. A capital offense is one that qualifies the perp for the death penalty upon conviction. This homeowner just saved the state a boatload of cash.

BigAlSouth on January 19, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I wasn’t suggesting that you aim for it. I was merely pointing out that a shot to leg can be as lethal as shot to the head. I’ve known of soldiers taking one in the thigh and bleeding out before the medic can do anything about it.

jerryofva on January 19, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Thank you, jerryofva, point noted.

pendell2 on January 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM

BigAlSouth on January 19, 2014 at 3:30 PM

As I mentioned upthread someplace, murder committed in the perpetration of a home invasion is now a capital offense here in New Hampshire.

This was in response to a horrific home invasion in 2009

Mont Vernon Murder

And what a shock, the perps did not use evil guns. Machete.

Del Dolemonte on January 19, 2014 at 5:39 PM

jerryofva on January 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM

But very hard to hit, especially if the perp is moving and wearing baggy pants (so you can’t really see where his legs are).
That’s why the best recommendations I’ve seen/heard are 2 to the chest then 1 to the head if the first 2 don’t stop him.

dentarthurdent on January 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

jerryofva on January 19, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Oooops – spoke too soon.
Gotcha.

dentarthurdent on January 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM

wait, the old man just shot and killed the guy without any warning? I mean, couldn’t he just have held the guy at gunpoint till the police arrived?

don’t think the punishment for burglary should be death…

nonpartisan on January 18, 2014 at 10:54 AM

If more crimes were treated with serious consequences… guess what? There’d be less crime.

Ukiah on January 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM