Video: Who’s up for an ObamaCare enrollment dance-off featuring Richard Simmons?

posted at 3:21 pm on January 17, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, via Red Alert Politics and Ace, skip to 19:30 for five minutes of corporeal poetry that’ll change the way you see soaring premiums and taxpayer bailouts. Evidently, the people at California’s O-Care exchange thought the way to nudge twentysomethings to sign up was to hold a six-hour online telethon that kicked off with Richard Simmons and a guy in mom jeans and a shirt from 1972 trying to out-dance each other. Which raises a key question: How is Richard Simmons not the worst-dressed person in this clip?

Ace makes a fair point that, in the age of viral media, there’s little difference between bad publicity and good publicity. If the point is to catch people’s attention so that they start thinking about insurance, it doesn’t really matter if your clip is brilliant or the health-industry equivalent of “The Star Wars Holiday Special.” Right, but … six hours? Did they think the three people who watched any significant chunk of this would be on the fence for the first four hours, only to capitulate in hour five? They would have done better virally at a fraction of the cost with some dumb “Doge” Twitter riff on ObamaCare than with this car crash. “So adverse selection. Much death spiral. Very single-payer. Wow.

Comments

“Doge” Twitter riff on ObamaCare than with this car crash. “So adverse selection. Much death spiral. Very single-payer. Wow.”

You speak Doge very well, AP.

Marcola on January 17, 2014 at 3:23 PM

This has to be a prank, right?

Please tell me this is meant to be a joke.

rbj on January 17, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Not watching. I don’t want to barf today.

22044 on January 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM

O.K., I don’t even want to process this…

..so instead, i’ll serve up a Friday Palate Cleanser,

Lord knows it is needed after this…

ToddPA on January 17, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I’m all outraged out.

Are we supposed to have our panties in a wad about this too?

How about Gates and his sucking up now to his former boss?

How about the gop loving them some Amnesty 2014?

Should I be screeching about Christ Christie and his bridge problems?

Common Core and Bill Gates and other Crony Capitalists trying to use the Education system to have nice little controllable / programmable employee robots for the decades to come?

What about Climate Change and the U.N. and the Administration loving all over each other on that issue?

What about Hot Air’s favorite topic same sex mare-ajj? Should I spit nails over that one?

What about Hillary and Benghazi?

Don’t forget the deficit, and all the regulatory poison from this Administration.

But, I’ve gotta milk the cows this afternoon so yall get out there and blast the DOTUS and his Richard Simmons types doing his work for him.

Outrage on!!!

PappyD61 on January 17, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Is this what “rock bottom” looks like?

dpduq on January 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM

A whole lotta scary lesbian stuff goin’ on in that video.

Pork-Chop on January 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Is this what “rock bottom” looks like?

dpduq on January 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM

No this is what hell looks like…….

Obama is Satan….

redguy on January 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Richard Simmons will sign up the young people. /s

mwbri on January 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM

This is gay.

Akzed on January 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM

OMG – I had to scroll though that – Ah what the hell was that?

More tax payer money in the shitter……

People will actually be repulsed and will not want to go near ObamaCare….

redguy on January 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Anybody that likes this crap probably really needs healthcare . . . and a bath.

rplat on January 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM

A sixty-five-year-old flamer queen in tights flailing his arm-flaps …

Oh yeah, that’s an irresistable sales pitch. Did he hop in his Miata and troll the playgrounds later looking for ‘enrollees’?

M240H on January 17, 2014 at 3:41 PM

This is gay.

Akzed on January 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Yup….welcome to the New HotAir, where

Gaydom, Stonedom, and Blimpdom are it baby!!!

ToddPA on January 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM

6 hrs makes sense–from start to shopping cart in the CA. state exchange…..

hillsoftx on January 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM

How about an Obamacare “walk-off” with Derek Zoolander?

Ditkaca on January 17, 2014 at 3:44 PM

“Who’s winning the match?”

Akzed on January 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Thanks to O’care, the folks that watch this vid will be covered, whether their mental health problem was affected by the vid or it was pre-existing.

antipc on January 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM

How did we lose to these idiots…?

JohnGalt23 on January 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM

This is the chick from “My Drunk Kitchen.” How ironic she is rapping about healthy lifestyles.

Can’t get link to work….copy and paste.

LITHIUM on January 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM

How did we lose to these idiots…?

JohnGalt23 on January 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM

There are more than 65 million idiots in the country.

sentinelrules on January 17, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Allahpundit I can not stress this enough – you have GOT to put warning labels on stuff like this. Do you know how painful it is to wash my eyes out with Clorox?

Caro1ina on January 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM

They grafted Hairspray and Heaven’s Gate. Roller Boogie Part Troix?

cbenoistd on January 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Really? I mean Seriously? This isn’t someone making a spoof? Tell me this is not real.

I weep for my country and I am beginning to feel sorry that the Wife and I gave a combined 42+ years of Service to it.

Johnnyreb on January 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM

My God Richard Simmons is soooooo hot!

Bradky on January 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Just like ObamaCare, Garbage in – garbage out.

GarandFan on January 17, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Holy crap. That was worse than I expected. A Gumby dork in mom jeans and a way over the hill gay cartoon character writhing on the floor does not scream “youthful targeting” to me.

tru2tx on January 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM

“So adverse selection. Much death spiral. Very single-payer. Wow.”

Thank you for saving me the time I’d have wasted reviewing the ‘Infomercial from Hell’, featuring everyone’s least favorite fitness instructor on Earth.
Believe I’ll print this on a giant DayGlo banner for our medical office and buy a pointer, for when patients inquire about ObamaCare and its impact.
Saves me even more time.

orangemtl on January 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM

So GayAir running out of articles and now combining gay threads and obamacare disaster threads?

HumpBot Salvation on January 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM

“Tell a Friend, Get Covered”…
This is gay slang, right?
Surprised we did not see Richard Simmons and Barry Obamama twerking with the Village People…

albill on January 17, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Who’s up for an ObamaCare enrollment dance-off featuring Richard Simmons?

uh…no thanks! THIS qualifies as torture!

Kingfisher on January 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM

HumpBot Salvation on January 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Yup, it was one of the Fallouts of the Sequester….

ToddPA on January 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM

“Tell a Friend, Get Covered”…
This is gay slang, right?

albill on January 17, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Oh, just you wait!

The Y M C A ObamaCare ad is due out next week!

This is just the Warm up ad…o.k., I can’t do this anymore…

ToddPA on January 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Simmons “dancing” seems to consist of positions designed to maximize access to his hole.

aquaviva on January 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Is this what “rock bottom” looks like?

dpduq on January 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I’m guessing the “rock bottom” of a septic tank, maybe.

JetBoy on January 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM

The lesbian at the start claims to be in 2014 but is dressed like Corey Feldman in 1983. Complete with the bad man’s haircut. Retro but not in a good way.

And BTW, if I were a young person I’d be insulted that this is how these idiots see them.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 4:52 PM

He’s not even second worst-dressed and he’s in a be-dazzled tank dress and tights!

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 4:57 PM

They blamed Benghazi on a bad youtube video, and then fund this 6 hour canker sore drain?
We’re in hell. Skipped Detroit, North Korea, and went straight to hell.

onomo on January 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Just me, but I’ll take Rachel Skarsten and Ksenia Solo over Richard Simmons and a guy in mom jeans any day….

Tamsin\Kenzi vs Dark Dark Fae “Dance off deathmatch

“I think I clenched my cheeks too hard”

MichaelGabriel on January 17, 2014 at 5:21 PM

LOL

Eviva on January 17, 2014 at 5:27 PM

More fun from the LOL’Crats!

dissent555 on January 17, 2014 at 5:29 PM

onomo on January 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Outstanding point! Though, in a way it is a shame. Had anybody actually watched this crap for more than a few minutes, there would have been “spontaneous attacks” at HHS offices all over America.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Oh Lord. That was absolutely terrible. I accidentally only skipped ahead to 16:30 and heard ….”You look like Peter Pan, and I look like Annie” ain’t that the truth.

tommer74 on January 17, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Oh Lord. That was absolutely terrible.

tommer74 on January 17, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Our tax dollars at waste.

onomo on January 17, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Uh.

Nope. That’s all I’ve got.

BKeyser on January 17, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Am I missing something? My video only goes to 6:18:47.

Barred on January 17, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Say what you will about the films made by ‘Hollywood lefty types’ – but as it relates to quality film making and great acting vs what cons/righties come up with, you might wanna say ‘thank you’.

verbaluce on January 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

rogerb on January 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

…we need our money back!

KOOLAID2 on January 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Richard is a likeable stoner. He lives in Obamacloud.

AshleyTKing on January 17, 2014 at 9:13 PM

How much did this cost?

Will the amount make me sick? I don’t know if I really want to know.

PattyJ on January 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I saw this on Greta. Wow, those Progressives sure are hip, ain’t they? This campaign is costing California $80 million. That sure doesn’t buy what it used to.

I don’t claim to understand what reaches the Millennials, but I’m pretty sure Richard Simmons doesn’t have Obama’s appeal. I’m not sure Obama has Obama’s appeal anymore. It made me wonder if this was Nancy Pelosi’s idea.

flataffect on January 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM

You guys SURE that’s not an old Band Camp video?

mojo on January 17, 2014 at 10:28 PM

flataffect on January 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM

That’s why I posted the link @ 5:21 above.

Most Millenials I know are aware of Tamsin and Kenzi, but they have no clue who Richard Simmons is.

Covered California is sooooo not cool.

MichaelGabriel on January 17, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Somebody told me a few years ago that Richard Simmons had officially come out of the closet at some point, though a quick search of Wikipedia seems to indicate that wasn’t accurate.

But in either case, I’ve always thought that you had to be in the closet before you could come out of it.

Cylor on January 18, 2014 at 6:33 AM

Richard Simmons? Do the millennials they need even know who he is?
If they wanted to at least make it humorous instead of just sad, they should’ve gotten the rights from SNL to replay Eddie Murphy’s parody of Richard Simmons aka “Little Richard Simmons” . . .

tpitman on January 18, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Oh, Hannah. Go back to the kitchen and get drunk…

Ygritte on January 19, 2014 at 11:40 AM