Tom Coburn: “Everyone wants Washington to change, and that means changing everyone in Washington”

posted at 2:41 pm on January 17, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Examiner, a grim postscript to the news this morning. Here’s the thing about Coburn: He means it. No matter the subject, from government waste to his personal affection for Obama, he seemed congenitally incapable of BSing people the way the average politician routinely does. Twice he pledged to serve a fixed number of terms in Congress, once as a House member and again as a senator, and he kept both promises. The other day he said he supports a constitutional convention to remake government in key structural ways. With any other pol, I would have wondered if he was on the level; with Coburn, given his track record and his palpable contempt for D.C., you don’t need to wonder. I always got the sense from him that he was still a private citizen at heart and was doing this job not for the power but because he genuinely felt duty-bound to help the country if he could. He could take it or leave it, so now he’s leaving it. For that reason, I think, there’s always been something anachronistic about him, even though we all understand that there probably weren’t many private-citizens-at-heart back in “the golden days” of American democracy either. It’s just our luck, with so much deadwood in the Senate, we lose the one guy whom people really could trust. Terrible.

All of this is to say that, when he claims his retirement isn’t being driven by the recurrence of cancer, I believe him. I don’t think it’s the cancer that’s forced him out. I think he really has lost all hope that Congress in its current and foreseeably future incarnations can solve America’s problems. When he says we should “change” everyone in Washington, I don’t think he means changing their attitudes; I think he means throwing every last one of the bums out and starting over. That’s what makes the clip, short as it is, so relentlessly grim. When the most honest man in Washington tells you that he’s given up, it’s hard to see why the rest of us shouldn’t give up too.

Comments

Yep. I gave up long ago…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Apparently term limits for Presidents was a stellar idea in the 1930s. Four score later,… nah, wouldnt work in Congress or the SCOTUS.

Jeddite on January 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM

He really needs to write a tell-all book exposing both parties’ worst operators. No holds barred.

frode on January 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Already there Allah, already there.

Gatsu on January 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Hopefully he gets well soon. He could have a great influence outside of Washington advocating for smaller government.

22044 on January 17, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Look on the bright side, we’ve got Ed Gillespie running for Senate in VA, so…

Ugh. We’re so screwed.

changer1701 on January 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Everyone wants Washington to change, but few want to lead by example and change themselves first.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I remember a story about Coburn someone from Muskogee told me:

Coburn is a doctor and delivers babies when he’s not being a senator. Apparently you can’t earn money as a doctor AND be a senator (some ethics rule I’m not familiar with) so Coburn started to deliver the kidos for free. That’s some character right there.

Meric1837 on January 17, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Already given up.
Atleast the victims of Idi Amin knew that he was a genocidal manic wanted to get rid of him .
Our people are totally ignorant , and proud of it .

burrata on January 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Wow, truer words are rarely spoken.

Akzed on January 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM

The Eeyore of all Eeyore posts…but I agree that it sadly seems like we’re fighting the inevitable.

nextgen_repub on January 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM

And this pretty much sums up where I’m at, too. I’m worn through.

DC isn’t listening to the American people anymore. The only concern of the political class, Left and Right, is remaining part of the political class and servicing their donors (read: masters). They think they reign over us, rather than serve us.

We should throw the bums out and elect some true public servants, like Tom Coburn, if we can find them.

Honest, decent, civic minded, intelligent individuals who are willing to set aside their own private lives, their families, and their personal careers, to serve the interests of their fellow citizens just because it’s the right thing to do, are a rarity.

I’ve had a running conversation with Senator Coburn over the last several years. Despite the fact that he was incredibly busy he has always answered any question I might have had and addressed my concerns to the best of his ability, and he did so promptly and personally. I never received a form letter from his office. I can relate to you that he was always forthright and sincere.I never bothered him with trivial issues, out of respect for his time. If your congress members aren’t responding to you personally and directly, if they ignore you or make excuses for not addressing your concerns, throw the bums out. There is no excuse for the individuals we elect to fail to treat us with the respect and regard that we deserve as the electorate.

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I’ve always been a big fan of Coburn’s. I’m sad to see him go.

vegconservative on January 17, 2014 at 3:05 PM

For his sake, I wish that was true.

But, it’s not.

He’s leaving because the grind only weakens his immune system on top of the treatment.

The job is literally killing him.

So he had a choice to make: Give up and live, or stay and shorten his life.

Good for him.

I hope he gets healthy quickly, because the guy could have a huge media impact. The image Beck, Huckabee and Palin sell is the kind of person Coburn truly is.

budfox on January 17, 2014 at 3:06 PM

In the spirit of the tea party I voted for every Republican on my ballot in ’10. After the GOP broke all their promises to the tea party and gave us the shaft I only voted for liberty candidates in ’12. In’14 and ’16 and perhaps forever more I’ll be voting anti-incumbent. The “two” parties are one, it doesn’t matter who is in control, they all serve their K-Street cronies. I am going to vote against every incumbent unless the incumbent is a proven liberty candidate, like Justin Amash, for example. So if there is a D incumbent I’ll vote for their R challenger, but if there is an R incumbent that hasn’t proven themselves, I’ll be voting for their D challenger.

And if the GOP crony elite spend millions or billions of dollars to smash the tea party in the primaries then I am going to vote D or 3rd party down the line in ’14, the opposite of what I did in ’10.

FloatingRock on January 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Ronald Reagan observed that diapers and politicians both need to be changed often, and for the same reason.

Joe Mama on January 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM

But the problem is the Tea Party or something…

Pqlyur1 on January 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM

supports a constitutional convention to remake government

Hows ’bout, as a start, the azzclowns honor their oath to uphold the Constitution….. to recognize the fact that OUR RIGHTS as citizens are not granted by the gubRmint but by the natural law of humanity. I don’t need some jack hole force’n me to purchase insurance or mandating what size cola I can buy. Or stealing money from honest hardworking folks thru taxation and inflation, to skim some of the money and then pretend to fix a problem that they themselves created. To have posers that don’t know what the meaning of is is to make any frigg’n decisions for themselves much less others.

Hows bout we end the dishonesty. So when our children look back at the tyrannies of the past, the monstrous government, the devastating wars and the unimaginable crimes. They don’t ask “how it could have been possible, how their fathers and mothers let such atrocities come to pass? Why didn’t they do something? Why didn’t they protest? Why didn’t they fight back?”

roflmmfao

donabernathy on January 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM

The problem with Washington isn’t the politicians, it’s the stupid voters that put them there. Politicians will generally do whatever it takes to be liked by their constituents. Uneducated voters vote for the most “free” things. Ergo, we get this current crop of “socialism now!!!” and “socialism later!!!” incumbents.

jdpaz on January 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Coburn is a good guy, and I wish him the best, but this is a “Well, duh, Captain Obvious!” statement if ever there was one. It ain’t like we all thought the GOP powerbrokers were castigating the Tea Party and other Conservatives out of a sense of idealistic duty.

M240H on January 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I don’t know what to think?
I hope he gets and stay’s healthy.

I went to re read this post and the comments.
I’m confused.

MontanaMmmm on January 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Thanks, appreciate it, goodbye, good luck, and long life. Next.

No point getting misty over an employee leaving, IMO.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Coburn is right, he was the last good one. It’s not going to be fixed for a generation at least.

There’s a total void in leadership in conservatism. There’s not a single conservative intellectual leader either in politics or commentary right now even approaching 10% of the impact of Buckley or Reagan.

sauldalinsky on January 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Reminds me of Rudman’s exit interview. There are few. Very few.

Tsar of Earth on January 17, 2014 at 3:22 PM

M240H on January 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM

The Tea Party is a sham. Isn’t that obvious?

sauldalinsky on January 17, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I don’t know what to think?
I hope he gets and stay’s healthy.

I went to re read this post and the comments.
I’m confused.

MontanaMmmm on January 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I guess not everyone picks up the awareness of the evil of Obama at the same pace.

I love your comments, by the way!

22044 on January 17, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Rarely do politicians speak the truth so simply and eloquently. Bravo!

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Interesting to note that Mary Fallon’s term as Governor of Oklahoma began in 2011. A governor’s term is four years. Senator Coburn just said he was leaving the Senate, but he made a point of saying that he was not leaving public life.

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Repeal of the 17th amendment, Term limits – maximum 12 years in all Congressional offices, lifetime bans on lobbying for any entity in exchange for public service, limits on family members that are permitted to serve consecutively, fewer lawyers and representatives from more diverse professional backgrounds.

Changing this system and making it better is not that hard. However you are asking the elite to give up their power. It’s up the people to force the issue.

rickyricardo on January 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM

People are people – changing the individuals won’t change human nature.

The problem is the framework under which they’re allowed to operate. Until that’s locked down a whole lot tighter, human nature will do what it always does: The bad stuff will ooze into every nook and cranny until it spills over the rim.

greggriffith on January 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Twice he pledged to serve a fixed number of terms

One and done is the best approach, IMO.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM

The problem with Washington isn’t the politicians, it’s the stupid voters that put them there. jdpaz on January 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM

“The problem with you, Rocky Racoon, is not the bullet in yer laig, but the varmint who put it there.”

Akzed on January 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Hubby and I are not giving up completely. Yet.

But we know the fix is pretty much in. Knowing that keeps our vision clear.

Grace_is_sufficient on January 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM

donabernathy on January 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Eh, sonny, what’s that you say? Natural law? Wonder what teh gheys think of dat dere phrase??

Nutstuyu on January 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Governors looking at constitutional convention to reign in federal spending

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM

You mean the governors of which Crooked Christie is their leader? No thank you, I don’t trust them.

FloatingRock on January 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Atheist ponders whether it’s time to give up hope.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Is it supposed to? See: Committee and Horse.

or the Obamacare website (use a library pc though, k?)

dogsoldier on January 17, 2014 at 3:55 PM

FloatingRock on January 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM

If you’d read the brief article, you’d see that Mary Fallon of Oklahoma is the Chairwoman of the National Governors Association and there are five other governors who, with Fallon, comprise the executive board of the NGA.

You’re thinking of the Republican Governor’s Association, a smaller, party specific group. Christie will assume the leadership of that group and his main duties will be fundraising. ( I’m thinking they likely regret his ascendency to that position about now.)

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Yup. Perhaps Coburn is just doing what I have done in my own, small, much less significant way; that is, make “a separate peace” with the political process, and follow Candide’s advice to “tend our own garden.” It wouldn’t be fair to say that I’ve “given up,” but I have pretty much decided, as far as political things go, not to throw good money, time or effort after bad. For reasons too involved to go into here, I too doubt that “Congress in its current and foreseeably future incarnations can solve America’s problems.” They run too deep.

SacredFire on January 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Let it Burn.

Tom Servo on January 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I do not believe that the solution to our problem is simply to elect the right people. The important thing is to establish a political climate of opinion which will make it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing. Unless it is politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing, the right people will not do the right thing either, or it they try, they will shortly be out of office.

― Milton Friedman

Socratease on January 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I think the turning point was when he was attacked for attacking the attempt to repeal or delay Obamacare. He was clearly shocked when people called him a RINO for attacking Ted Cruz. I can only imagine what his constituents called him.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 4:34 PM

No point getting misty over an employee leaving, IMO.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Because it’s completely as simple as thinking of these folks as merely ‘employees’. You know – 535 employees in Congress who can and are destroying us and we can’t really do anything about it as their employers.

Yeah – ‘employees’.

If they *were* simply ‘employees’, most would be immediately fired, and many of them would undoubtedly be charged with multiple crimes, arrested, judged, fined and imprisoned.

So… let’s do that, shall we? A fine end to the week, and we can start over with new ‘employees’ on Monday, k?

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM

― Milton Friedman

That works if you have a media willing to hold fast on what that political climate looks like, consistently, without regard to political party.

They don’t, and won’t, so there’s no downside to Democrats and liberal-leaning Republicans from being utter crapweasels.

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Socratease on January 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Good luck with that. How much money do you have to outbid Gates, Zuckerberg, et al?
208 CEO’s Send letter of instruction demanding AMNESTY and visas for ‘lower skilled laborers’.

Boehner sets immigration debate but polls show growing public opposition

Boehner and the White House understand that the public is opposed to amnesty, but they’re determined to service their business donors interest despite that public opinion. Public opinion is the will of the electorate. Boehner and company believe that the electorate are so insipid that the money they get from those big money, big business interest donors will allow them to sway opinion enough to reelect them despite ignoring the will of the electorate on major issues.

ObamaCare was passed without a singe Republican vote, in the dead of night on Christmas Eve, using every arcane and nefarious means the Democrats had at their disposal… despite the majority of Americans vociferously opposing the passage of the legislation.

So much for that political climate of opinion being an effective tool to ‘make it profitable for the wrong people do to the right thing’.

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I don’t think it’s the cancer that’s forced him out.

With all respect, it looks like it is the cancer that drove hoim out – not the prostate cancer, but the cancer that our government has become.

bgoldman on January 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Jeddite on January 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Sorry but term limits isn’t what Coburn is talking about either. All that would do is hasten the time a Congresscritter goes from the Hill to K Street. The underlying problem is that once one of these animals get to DC they never leave. Gone are the days when Harry Truman packed up the family car at the White House and drove back to Missouri.

I attend a church where a very prominent member of the GOP also worships. He and his wife met here. His kids were raised here. He’s got a house “back home” but it is likely that he won’t be retiring there.

Simply put, Congress has lost touch with the American people. And Coburn isn’t immune from criticism on this point. He attacked any effort to defund or delay Obamacare by the GOP.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 4:41 PM

The “progressive” movement started over 100 years ago. They ate away at the Constitution and the citizens’ conception of American government one small bite at a time, incrementally. Well, they got that huge bite of giving women the vote, but that can’t be undone now.

Anyone who thinks we can “fix” the federal government in one Presidency or a few Congresses is just not being realistic at all. If it is to be reversed at all, it will be incrementally the same way it was screwed up. And there are some signs of progress – even Democrats have less faith in government than ever now. That’s a step.

Even with a reform-minded Republican President and a Republican Congress, there will be very few Great Leaps Backward. The bureaucracy is infested with Democratic parasites and won’t go easily. It’s going to be small steps, no matter what.

For those who cannot deal with that, immediate suicide seems the obvious choice. You’ll go straight to hell of course, but at least the rest of us won’t have to listen to your incessant whining day and night.

Adjoran on January 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Knock yourself out, k, champ.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM

The image Beck, Huckabee and Palin sell is the kind of person Coburn truly is.

budfox on January 17, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I agree with most of your comment, but I have to take issue with this. When it comes to Sarah Palin, what you see IS what you get. She is, as they say, “the real deal.” She isn’t “selling” any kind of image. The media found that out when they went through her 3,000+ emails and found nothing to excoriate her for. And not for lack of trying; they were salivating at the chance. So, no, Palin is not “selling an image.” She is as she presents herself–a Reaganite who believes in smaller, smarter government and common-sense conservatism.

Governors looking at constitutional convention to reign in federal spending

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM

“The concept has gained attention over the last year after the release of bestselling “Liberty Amendments” by Mark Levin, talk radio host and president of the Landmark Legal Foundation. Levin’s proposed amendments included a balanced budget amendment and congressional term limits.”

If it’s based on Levin’s ideas, it’s a keeper, and more power to them. This may be our best hope of reversing the damage that’s been done.

theotherone on January 17, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Adjoran on January 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Bite me.

MontanaMmmm on January 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM

repeal or delay Obamacare

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 4:34 PM

You’ll note it was neither repealed nor delayed. Our Senator, Tom Coburn, rightly observed that the effort to ‘repeal or delay’ through means of a government shut down would not only fail, it would cost the party, and it has. Reid promptly nuked the filibuster rules in the Senate to pass appointees, requiring only a majority vote rather than the 60 required for cloture, and he’s threatened to do the same with legislation…and hinted that he might consider it for Supreme Court Justices as well. This would effectively mean that the Democrats would pass any piece of legislation they wished until at least after the 2014 elections. Reid struck down a 200 year old rule to give his majority complete control and, in doing so, undermined the functionality and the legitmacy of the Senate.

People here in Oklahoma, those who are informed, didn’t respond by calling Coburn anything… other than insightful.

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Don’t forget, that means everyone who lives in Georgetown, too.

Wallythedog on January 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Adjoran on January 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Bite me.

MontanaMmmm on January 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Indeed, MontanaMmmm. He can bite me, too.

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Governors looking at constitutional convention to reign in federal spending

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Won’t matter. For it to matter, you have to believe that the federal government would recognize it and abide by it.

As for me, I hold out no hope for that at this point. The feds already ignore the Constitution we have in place; adding a bit of new federally-binding Constitutional bits seems… somewhat meaningless.

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Knock yourself out, k, champ.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Nice reading comprehension you’ve got there. /

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Don’t forget, that means everyone who lives in Georgetown, too.

Wallythedog on January 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Very good point. Beltway media-industrial complex is a major problem.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Your concern is duly noted, but I read you loud and clear.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Why Congress is held in contempt

We need to use extraordinary measures to claw back the power relegated to the executive branch and to the federal reserve and we need to insist that the congress members we send as our proxies to DC understand their job and are not only willing, but eager, to do their job beyond legislation as intended by the framers. Namely, serve as the check and balance to the executive branch and judicial branches.

I’ll agree that this administration is lawless. I’ll agree that congress is supine. I’ll agree that the Supreme Court has taken the stance of the activist and sought to legislate from the bench. However, I will not agree that it is not within our means to remedy these ills using the power inherent to the states.

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Great man, great Senator.

IR-MN on January 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Thanks, appreciate it, goodbye, good luck, and long life. Next.No point getting misty over an employee leaving,
IMO.Christien on January 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Yup. I admired him greatly but his “downfall” for me when he endorsed McVain during the OK primaries as electable. He should have been talking about changing Wahington at the height of his career not the twillight.

AH_C on January 17, 2014 at 5:19 PM

DeMint and now Coburn have read the writing on the wall… This is seriously bad stuff we’re up against and if anything it’s likely to get worse before it gets better. We can retake the Senate, but Obama has made clear that any branch of government that can’t be cowed into submission will be neutered with his pen.

People continue to think our traditions mean it can’t happen here. Indeed the barriers in place have held us for a long time, but they are being broken down. It can come quickly. Look how fast it’s going in Ukraine – a whole heap of dictatorship rammed through at once that, if stands will transform what was one of FSU’s freer countries into one of it’s most repressed. And that’s with hundreds of thousands showing up in protest in the capital every week, behind growing barricades.

I’ve seen none of that willingness to fight over here, and if the easy way of legal reform is no longer possible, and nobody is ready to start a gutter fight, then where does this go?

Gingotts on January 17, 2014 at 5:20 PM

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Wow, what a arrogant and snarky way of defending the way Coburn took out after the TPM for standing up against Obamacare. He wasn’t being labeled a RINO for nothing you ignorant putz. Deal with reality.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 5:44 PM

AH_C on January 17, 2014 at 5:19 PM

He is still an admirable man, and I do not mean to kick him on his way out. I wish him Happy Trails and long life.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Great man, great Senator.

IR-MN on January 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Sorry this is a “pick one” situation. You can’t be both.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I remember a story about Coburn someone from Muskogee told me:I remember a story about Coburn someone from Muskogee told me:

True story. However, another predates it. Dewey Bartlett was an Oklahoma congressman. He was a petroleum geologist. The communist dhimocratps in congress refused to let him serve on the energy subcommittee. Nor would they allow him any input into their legislation. The excuse was that he was a geologist he would provide facts and experience that was not available to the political rulers. Not only that, they didn’t want to hear it. He was obviously a tool of the big international oil companies.
Of course, it was OK for Robert S. Kerr to have energy input – he owned Kerr Oil, and he was (wait for it….) a dhimocrapt). I heard this from Dewey Bartlet’s own lips. This is a function of the Kennedys, rockefellers, clintons, bushes, etc wanting no political input from these dumb idiots in fly-over country.

Let me point out something to you east and west coast bound communist dhimocraptic crooks, maybe if you had paid one whit of attention to a DOCTOR (a real one, not a JD), you wouldn’t have obamabortion in the shape it is in.

Can anybody say secession? That is now our only hope without Coburn.

Old Country Boy on January 17, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Good to see your not making it personal or lashing out in a gutter fashion at those who disagree with you.

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Perhaps I don’t see Cruz in quite the glowing light that you obviously do, Happy.

Perhaps you’re pro- Amnesty.

Cruz on immigration reform at Texas Tribune Fest 2013

Or… if you don’t want to see Cruz saying it himself….

here it is in print… Cruz takes middle ground on immigration

That is, if you’ve got the will to learn the truth.

The interview with the Texas Tribune was 12 days before the government shut down/filibuster.

Cruz wants green cards all around for the 11 million illegal aliens currently at large in this nation. He also wants to triple legal immigration. We have 22 million Americans who are unemployed or acutely underemployed in this nation today. 92 million Americans are out of the workforce and we have a record low workforce participation rate.

Cruz insists that the doesn’t want to give the 11 million illegal aliens citizenship. As has been discussed in articles posted many times here at HA, how long do you suppose it would take the Democrats and the newly legal formerly illegal aliens to say that the GOP was trapping them in second class status and demand citizenship? How long do you suppose before they got it?

Cruz says he wants ‘new border security legislation’. He doesn’t insist that this new legislation be front loaded with enforcement before anyone is granted legal status. Tougher border security legislation was already passed in 2009. The Obama administration simply didn’t enforce it. What makes you think the Obama administration would enforce it this time?

Sorry, Happy. Time for you to ‘deal with reality’.

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Please enlighten me. Are you from Oklahoma? If not F.Off. Tend to your own garden. Let us know where you are from so we can judge your choice in politicians. Don’t lecture me on your “official” version of the tea party. I was sending in teabags at the start. You sound like all the other pharaceacle “conservatives”. Your version is the ONLY version. YOU are the reason conservatives have getting traction in this country. YOU turn off everybody that might join the fight.

Old Country Boy on January 17, 2014 at 6:54 PM

have (NOT BEEN) getting traction

Old Country Boy on January 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Senator Coburn is a great Senator and a fine person also..Going to be hard to replace..:)

Dire Straits on January 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM

…starting when?

KOOLAID2 on January 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM

pharaceacle

Pharisaical??

One of the more interesting spell-checker goofs.

AesopFan on January 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM

AesopFan on January 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Sorry about that. All the automatic spell checker does is tell you the word is wrong or is not in the vocabulary of Bill Gates and his minions. Also, because none, and I mean none of the computerized dictionaries are that reliable, I rely on a 1950 Websters Intercollegiate. For historical and encyclopedic data, I rely on a 1939 Encyclopedia. You would be surprised how history and usage has changed between these years and the revised history and grammar of today.

However, being in my 74th year with severe obamaitis in my hands, i was hurting too much to correct the spelling, but the thought was correct: Too many “conservatives” fit the biblical descriptions of pharisees. However, congrats and thank you on your find and comment.

Old Country Boy on January 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM

It’s going to be small steps, no matter what.

Adjoran on January 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Your small steps will take longer than we have. The USA will look like Escape from New York before incremental change will get us where we need to be to survive. I don’t think we pessimists are ‘whining.’ I just think you are a few years behind us on the political maturity learning curve.

PD Quig on January 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Don’t forget Coburn’s warm feelings for the “nice” Nancy Pelosi.

There is no doubt that he meant it every time Coburn sided with, or protected the Democrats and that is the problem.

RJL on January 18, 2014 at 5:48 PM

They won’t do it by themselves, so it’s up to the voters. I’m not holding my breath. I’ve said for years that D.C. should be made a nuclear test site.

flataffect on January 19, 2014 at 6:40 PM