Quotes of the day

posted at 8:11 pm on January 17, 2014 by Allahpundit

In overhauling the nation’s spy programs, President Obama vowed on Friday that he “will end” the bulk telephone data program that has caused so much consternation — “as it currently exists.”

The caveat is important. Although Mr. Obama imposed some new conditions on the program, the National Security Agency, for the time being at least, will continue to maintain and tap into its vast catalog of telephone data of tens of millions of Americans until someone can think of another way to do the same thing…

[F]or a president who came to office promising to end what he considered the excesses of the new security state, Mr. Obama’s speech on Friday was as much about the larger question of faith. Rather than throw out the programs at issue, he hoped to convince the public that they are being run appropriately.

***

After Friday, keep in mind how the status quo has, or has not, been altered:

1) The phone metadata still exists.

2) It will be kept, at least in the short-term, by the government until Congress figures out what to do with it. (And don’t think the telecom lobby won’t play a role in that.)

3) It will be searched.

4) Searches will be approved by a court with a record of being friendly to the government, one without a new privacy advocate.

5) National security letters can still be issued by the FBI without a court order.

6) Much of this activity will remain secret.

***

As a 2008 candidate, Barack Obama regularly castigated then-President George W. Bush for what he called excessive surveillance programs. Joe Biden, now Obama’s vice president, criticized former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani’s GOP presidential platform at the time as little more than “a noun, a verb and 9/11.”

Yet Sept. 11 played a starring role in Obama’s justification of the signals intelligence program during his Friday speech about National Security Agency reforms. The president invoked Sept. 11 eight times Friday, saying the attacks on New York and the Pentagon justify and demand maintaining a robust surveillance apparatus to keep the nation and its allies safe.

It’s the latest in Obama’s evolution from a critic of those who used Sept. 11 to justify national security procedures to a leader who uses the attacks to defend his administration’s surveillance policies.

***

“We heard a lot of lies in this speech by Obama,” Assange said. “I think it’s embarrassing for a head of state to go on like that for 45 minutes and say almost nothing.”…

Assange said the speech wouldn’t have happened without the leaks by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, who disclosed the details of these programs. Obama was “dragged, kicking and screaming” to the address, Assange said.

“Although those national whistle blowers have forced this debate, this president has been dragged, kicking and screaming to today’s address. He is being very reluctant to make any concrete reforms,” he said. “Unfortunately today we also see very few concrete reforms.”

Obama is just pushing the debate further down the road, Assange said, by delegating some of these decisions to a divided Congress and panels of lawyers.

***

“What I think I heard is that if you like your privacy, you can keep it,” Paul, the Republican senator from Kentucky, said in an interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “But in the meantime, we’re going to keep collecting your phone records, your email, your text messages and, likely, your credit card information.”…

“He mentioned Paul Revere. But Paul Revere was warning us about the British coming,” Paul said. “He wasn’t warning us that the Americans are coming.”

Later in the interview, Paul said he’s opposed to all massive data collection, by both the federal government and the private sector. Beyond civil liberty concerns, Paul said such massive surveillance just isn’t practical.

“Who are we going to hire, [Edward] Snowden’s contractor to hold all the information?” Paul said, laughing at his own joke.

***

If I understand Obama’s new policy on Section 215, he is going to have the Executive Branch ask the judges on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) to begin to limit when the Executive can query the Section 215 database. That is, he will ask the judiciary to take on a new power to limit the Executive, so that the Executive can only query the database when the executive gets a court order signed by the FISC. In his words, “I have directed the Attorney General to work with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court so that during this transition period, the database can be queried only after a judicial finding, or in a true emergency.”

Maybe I’m just old-fashioned, but doesn’t Congress need to be involved in this little enterprise? The FISC is a creation of Congress. It has no power to do anything that Congress doesn’t grant it. The Executive and the Judiciary can’t just meet and agree on a new set of rules to govern surveillance programs; those rules are supposed to be generated by Congress. I suppose it shows how far from Congress’s text the FISC has taken the law that the Executive sees the FISC as the primary negotiating partner in creating new rules. The FISC’s interpretation of Section 215 is based on an implausible reading of Congress’s law, so it’s almost like it’s the FISC’s authority at issue, not Congress’s. But I hope we could recognize that FISA is a statute and statutes are enacted by the legislature. If the President and the FISC are having trouble locating this sometimes-elusive branch of government, they’re in the fancy building with the dome near the Supreme Court. Big building, can’t miss it.

***

Obama cannot have it both ways. Either the government’s mass collection of every American’s telephone records is essential to national security, or it isn’t. Either the surveillance activities that ignited public outrage when they were revealed last June amount to nothing more than a “modest encroachment” that “the American people should feel comfortable about,” as Obama claimed at the time, or they pose substantial threats to privacy that need to be mitigated, as he indicated today. Either the reforms he announced will protect Americans from indiscriminate snooping, or they are mere window dressing aimed at “giv[ing] the American people greater confidence that their rights are being protected” (as he put it today) without actually protecting those rights.

Obama did manage to utter at least one important truth:

“Given the unique power of the state, it is not enough for leaders to say: trust us, we won’t abuse the data we collect. For history has seen too many examples when that trust has been breached. Our system of government is built on the premise that our liberty cannot depend on the good intentions of those in power; it depends upon the law to constrain those in power.”

I believe this, but I do not believe that Obama does.

***

While Snowden initially represented his priorities as being those of American civil liberties and the exposure of spying on American citizens, the leaks quickly turned into tales exposing the legitimate spying activities external to the United States…

Today was a victory for Snowden and his allies, but not the kind of victory civil libertarians should hope for. The restrictions on spying on American citizens announced by the president seem mostly like window dressing, adding a few hoops and a mess of paperwork to slow down the process without achieving fundamental change. But if the restrictions on spying overseas are real, and not just lip service, they represent a marked degradation of the ability of America’s intelligence community to do the job they’ve been tasked with from the beginning.

This should please Snowden and his allies. Their aim, rather than ensuring the protection of civil liberties, has turned into a broader push to restrict the footprint of the intelligence gathering efforts of the United States. It’s now a reality only made possible because of their appeal to a power structure that essentially shares their view of the proper role of America in the world.

***

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Shoebox stuffed with nymphs.

Axe on January 17, 2014 at 11:38 PM

That’s because it’s a single room apartment.

Axe on January 17, 2014 at 11:32 PM

…..well – it is in THIS Universe……however, a simple transform through Hilbert-Space to a Few Universes OVER……..and it Out-Shines the Taj Mahal!

…….that’s the name of my next book: “A Few Universes Over…”

williamg on January 17, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Axe on January 17, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Oh, Axefellow! lol!

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:40 PM

….that’s the name of my next book: “A Few Universes Over…”

williamg on January 17, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Very cool title, indeed. Intriguing. :)

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:41 PM

…….that’s the name of my next book: “A Few Universes Over…”

williamg on January 17, 2014 at 11:39 PM

LOL — That’s excellent. :) Truly.

Axe on January 17, 2014 at 11:41 PM

For Michelle: It’s your party and I’ll cry if I want to

kcewa on January 17, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Axe on January 17, 2014 at 11:41 PM

You realize if we were pirates worth our rum ration we’d make off with that title. ;)

But… I’m too groggy. lol!

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:43 PM

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Ok thanks. I won’t change a thing.

I was going to try to patch up some pot holes but that might increase the degree of neocortical encephalization and I would hate for that to happen.

SparkPlug on January 17, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Roseanna- Toto

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:44 PM

williamg on January 17, 2014 at 11:39 PM

I was thinking that also. My brain is like a head shaped tadge mahal

SparkPlug on January 17, 2014 at 11:48 PM

SparkPlug on January 17, 2014 at 11:43 PM

I’d sincerely hate for that to happen, too. I’ll just do a little minor tune up while I’m in here. Nothing major. Should hold you for about a thousand years or so.:)

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Dave Davies – Let Me Be

(For our “friends and neighbors”)

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM

williamg on January 17, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Marley! :)

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Where is Paladin? Has anyone seen him?

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Red Red Wine – UB40

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Yeah if I had a computer like Stephen Hawkings I would sound pretty smart too. He sits there and Google spews all the answers. Cheater.

SparkPlug on January 17, 2014 at 11:53 PM

SparkPlug on January 17, 2014 at 11:53 PM

And what’s he done lately?

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Where is Paladin? Has anyone seen him?

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Evening :)

Schadenfreude on January 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Schadenfreude on January 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Good evening, my friend. :) Wonderful to see you, as always.

I missed you. :)

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM

AC/DC – Jailbreak

(For Eddie S.)

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Evening :)
Schadenfreude on January 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM

I found him for you.

SparkPlug on January 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM

SparkPlug on January 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Thank you, Spark! That was very kind of you, indeed. :)

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM

The Untouchables – I Spy (For The FBI)

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Baby Loves To Boogie Four Men And A Dog

kcewa on January 17, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Friends and families of obama.

He favors Turkey, go figure.

I believe the missing imam married her to his son and he also killed her. The story is false. Total uproar about this in Europe and in Turkey, for now.

Schadenfreude on January 17, 2014 at 11:58 PM

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Good thing there is Sparky :)

Schadenfreude on January 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM

williamg on January 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM

In this world much better to keep dancing and laughing. :)

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Axes new book.

A brief history of mime. (no verbs)

Scrumpys new book

A brief history of rhyme.

B9s new book

A brief history of thyme.

SOROS new book

A brief history of slime

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Schadenfreude on January 17, 2014 at 11:58 PM

That’s horrendous. And to think people had the nerve to say that Putin lied when he said there are countries trying to legalize pederasty. Seems like he was guilty of a miscalculation at most. These people are already marrying children.

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Good book title

The condensed easy to understand guide to the universe for pikers.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Midnight Blues – Moore

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:04 AM

This is irony pure

There’s more to this story.

The Mayor ordered his troopers to deliver the boy. The fools did so. The Mayor was after gay sex. The kid wasn’t interested and wanted to leave. The supposed anti-guns-obama-gang Mayor then shoots gun. This should go into the Weinstein thread, but who cares? It’s all about the same hypocritical capos of the land.

Anyway, heard this on the radio this morning.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:04 AM

It’s just after midnight. That means M9 is having a cold Zima

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM

From Fast-and-Furious and the IRS, to the NSA and Ben-ghazi
The Emperor is one sociopathic liar, as we all can plainly see
He lies to the men, women and children of America every chance he gets
And there is no lie big enough for him to ever have any regrets

Cheshire Cat on January 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Where is the UN?

Where are the feminists?

Where are our trolls?

Why does anyone still all any leftist a liberal/progressive?

Where are the leaders of the world?

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Their silence is deafening, and sickening.

They yammer on a great deal about ‘humanity’ and ‘human rights’ and ignore the plight of real people.

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Except for the QOTD, it seems like HA has been on life support lately…

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2014 at 12:09 AM

This one is pretty cheery.

arnold ziffel on January 18, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Meanwhile ObamaCare causes mental anguish and human suffering.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:10 AM

The Loner – Moore

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:10 AM

“Whatever Doesn’t Kill You, Makes You Stronger…….

Except Bears…..Bears Will Kill You!…….”

williamg on January 18, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Here’s one for AlGore

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Except for the QOTD, it seems like HA has been on life support lately…

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Going the way of the GOPe and the GOP.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM

PARTY LINE by the Kinks

heh :)

(Hello, who’s that speaking, please?)

I’m on a party line,
Wonderin’ all the time,
Who’s on the other end?
Is she big, is she small?
Is she a she at all?
Who’s on my party line?

Wish I had a more direct connection.
This party line was here when I arrived.
And I’m not voting in the next election,
If they don’t do something about finding out
The person who is on my party line.

I’m on a party line.
I’m on a party line.

I can’t speak without an interception.
This is private, please get off my line.
Please tell me when I can have my privacy.
I’d like to meet the girl who’s always talking
When I’m speaking on my party line.

kcewa on January 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM

It’s just after midnight. That means M9 is having a cold Zima

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM

mmmm alcopop!

Murphy9 on January 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM

G2M is the master of wood and creator of many a wooden thing.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM

✖‿✖

Murphy9 on January 18, 2014 at 12:16 AM

arnold ziffel on January 18, 2014 at 12:09 AM

That’s a pretty cool tune. I like it. :)

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Oh, Darling – PLEASE Believe Me!…..

williamg on January 18, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Krauthammer suggests that the spineless Rs in congress vote to NOT fund obama’care’.

Then, if the senate doesn’t bring it up, combine it with the next debt ceiling fiasco, which comes up before Landrieu and all the creeps who voted for obama’care’ are up for the Nov. ’14 election.

The Ds and the ins. companies would turn against obama, all being exposed, in addition to the entire system being a clusterfark.

Now, bank on Boehner to ignore.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Yes. We’re turning away, worn out with the lying and obfuscation. This is reflected in the drop in volume on HA.

The political class has sold it’s soul to the donors and are ignoring the will of the electorate. They do so at their own peril.

When I say that I won’t vote for any member of the political class who has a hand in any form of amnesty, I mean it.

When I say that if the GOP doesn’t keep it’s promise and repeal ObamaCare I’ll never vote for one of them again, I mean it.

Too many lies. Too many equivocations. Time to stand up for American citizens and the rule of law.

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:22 AM

BOMBINO – Amidine – Niger

kcewa on January 18, 2014 at 12:22 AM

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:23 AM

More Than You’ll Even Know – Moore

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:24 AM

…….Then, during Take 26….

williamg on January 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:23 AM

As you know, I love Walter Trout. :) Very timely selection, too.

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:26 AM

History

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:28 AM

williamg on January 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Excellent. :)

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:29 AM

King of kings

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:31 AM

In short, to make myself eminently clear, it’s time for the GOP to put up or shut up.

Either they represent their constituents, the one’s they actually have now, or they represent the donors.

The political class can spend all the money in the world, it’s not going to sway me. These issues, these principles are too important to compromise.

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:33 AM

…….Then, during Take 26….

williamg on January 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Perfectionists.

kcewa on January 18, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Going the way of the GOPe and the GOP.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM

I am so tired—-ready to give up…

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2014 at 12:37 AM

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:33 AM

I think they’ve chosen the donors. Not all of them. Maybe?

kcewa on January 18, 2014 at 12:37 AM

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2014 at 12:37 AM

You’re not alone.

Hey, at least we’re in good company. :)

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Murphy9 on January 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Wow. I like that song. Good tune. Thanks.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Meanwhile ObamaCare causes mental anguish and human suffering.
G2M is the master of wood and creator of many a wooden thing.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM

I think im worried that I am one thought away from thoughts of
of mental anguish and human suffering..

going2mars on January 18, 2014 at 12:38 AM

…….Then, during Take 26….

williamg on January 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Perfectionists.

kcewa on January 18, 2014 at 12:35 AM

….I know, really……I’m told those kind of people can be soooo Annoying!

williamg on January 18, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Very clear, J. :) They’ll all get theirs. They’ll be functionaries when, after amnesty, they NEVER win anything ever again.

Meanwhile

Thank you all for such great music.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Oh man, Nightline is going to do a lovefest for anti-American FLOTUS’ fiftieth…

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2014 at 12:39 AM

G2M, not to miss.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:40 AM

kcewa on January 18, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I get the impression that they’ve not only chosen the donors, they’ve gotten together and figured, cynically, that if they all stick together on amnesty and Obamacare that we’ll hold our noses and vote for them… just to beat the other guy.

The problem with that reasoning is that if they’re adopting the agenda of the Democrats, materially, what’s the difference between the two parties?

I don’t care if there is an ‘R’ or a ‘D’ after the individuals name if they are voting for the same disastrous policies.

I’m beginning to believe that a stunning defeat at the polls is the only way to get the message across to the GOP that we’re not so stupid that we can be brought to the polls with some advertising dollars, threats, fear tactics and stump work regardless of how they’ve screwed us over in favor of the donors.

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM

It’s too late MG. The GOPe can go pound sand. They are slimier than a bunch of pikers taking a Christie lard bath.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:39 AM

You know you’re more than welcome, my friend. :)

You’re not getting ready to leave HA are you? I mean permanently.

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:43 AM

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Not until they get me, the NSA, not HA :)

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Blues Overtook Me – Musselwhite

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Oh man, Nightline is going to do a lovefest for anti-American FLOTUS’ fiftieth…

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2014 at 12:39 AM

She’s always going to be one of the ugliest scumhags, from the inside to the out.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:46 AM

For the GOP

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Well I hope they hit Moochelle’s wood chipper teeth with a wet stone to sharpen them up so she can plow straight thru 30 crates of lobster without taking the freakin lid off.

Other wise we are going to get stuck with a huge dock worker Union labor bill as they have to pry them open with a crow bar made in China.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM

How could anything be more stunning than 2012? Yes, they were running against Obama and voting for the historic one won’t happen again. But still.

kcewa on January 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:46 AM

She really is, and she is even more bitter than Roslyn Carter…

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM

If Moochelle ever wiped the scowl off her face there would be no face left.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:50 AM

….Well, since “K” done brought this topic up – y’all GOTS ta give the “Props” to Ry Cooder’s study of the Eclectic American Master…..

“Lord, in a bourgeois town
It’s a bourgeois town
I got the bourgeois blues
Gonna spread the news all around

Home of the brave, land of the free
I don’t wanna be mistreated by no bourgeoisie
Lord, in a bourgeois town
Uhm, the bourgeois town
I got the bourgeois blues
Gonna spread the news all around

Well, me and my wife we were standing upstairs
We heard the white man say “I don’t want no n i g g e r s up there”
Lord, in a bourgeois town
Uhm, bourgeois town
I got the bourgeois blues
Gonna spread the news all around”

williamg on January 18, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Hey is that Daves fedora approaching?

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Oh man, Nightline is going to do a lovefest for anti-American FLOTUS’ fiftieth…

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2014 at 12:39 AM

It’s her party…we can cry if we want to.

kcewa on January 18, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:45 AM

I’d miss you if you went. If the NSA gets us, we’ll go together and create a nuisance on the train and at the camp. ;)

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:52 AM

Night, guys. :) I have to go concentrate. Please note it’s Friday, it’s early, and that you have lots of time to start lots of trouble.

{{{{{{{{Sophie Ro}}}}}}}}}}

Axe on January 18, 2014 at 12:52 AM

She really is, and she is even more bitter than Roslyn Carter…

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Right you are, OC. When Jimmy was beaten to pulp by R. Reagan, he was bitter, but her bitter face was worth watching. This one is her X 10 and then some. This one is the biatch from hell who thinks she’s owed all things and then some. She’ll get hers too.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Oh yeah. If the NSA ever pissed me off they would live to regret it right before they die.

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:40 AM

I saw that and wondered if Algore had enough money
from his movie to burn when the cooling really starts..

did you catch the Cali snow pack shortfall??

they may want to learn to drink sand…
but are they building Desalination plants….nope..
they are building a really nifty fast train from two
town that no one ever goes to….

going2mars on January 18, 2014 at 12:54 AM

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:52 AM

Thank you, but we would never arrive, nor would they, I guarantee it. I live to hate tyrants.

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 12:55 AM

kcewa on January 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Romney lost by 2%. They could be looking at 20% this time. Also, that was for a presidential election. They think they’ve got the senate and the house sewed up because of ObamaCare. They think they can use it as the stick to drive us to the polls to recreate 2010. Imagine their shock if they pass amnesty and fund ObamaCare and we stay home.

thatsafactjack on January 18, 2014 at 12:55 AM