GOP establishment panics over Christie’s troubles: “I think we need Mitt back”

posted at 12:01 pm on January 17, 2014 by Allahpundit

Dude, it could happen. Three easy steps to Romney 3.0: He comes out strong for amnesty to mend fences with Latino voters; he finally decides to ix-nay the “makers and takers” etoric-rhay, and of course he chooses Mike Huckabee to be his VP. Can’t. Miss.

Seriously, though, this is just one Republican operative talking and he’s obviously joking. I think?

In interviews with more than a dozen party officials, fundraisers, and strategists in New York and Washington over the past 10 days, Republicans described a palpable sense of anxiety gripping the GOP establishment in the wake of Christie’s meltdown, and an emerging consensus that the once promising cast of candidates they were counting on to save the GOP from the Tea Party — and the nation from Hillary Clinton — is looking less formidable by the week…

“There are definitely people jumping ship,” the operative said, noting that confidence in Christie’s electability has dropped off sharply among the donors he’s heard from…

In fact, it’s gotten so bad, the operative said, that some donors have started looking back fondly on the good old days of 2012: “You know what a lot of them say to me? I think we need Mitt back.”

Not even the GOP establishment could be so badly out of tune with America that they’d consider bringing back Romneymania — I think. But the larger point, that Christie’s souring image and the fact that his lingering mutual contempt with conservatives makes him a tougher sell than thought, is apt to make country-clubbers look around for centrist alternatives now. Don’t underestimate either the lingering grudges held by prominent Romney fans towards Christie for his betrayal in 2012. Those are exactly the types of people he needs in his corner, but if you believe Politico, he’s got fences to mend himself:

Several former Romney donors and staff told POLITICO that their alumni network has been buzzing over revelations that Christie’s staff was involved in lane closures on the George Washington Bridge that caused massive traffic jams, and were allegedly politically motivated. Some view it as a vindication of Romney’s decision not to tap Christie as his running mate, while others have merely watched in amusement…

A former Romney staffer called Christie’s handling of the scandal part of a pattern of behavior by the governor. “There’s a level of arrogance that people I talk to find really just unacceptable,” the ex-staffer said, pointing to Christie’s chronic tardiness for high-dollar fundraisers he did with Romney. “Those are little things, but when you have these very important people waiting, it sends a signal.”…

In June, Christie spoke at a retreat of major Romney donors in Park City, Utah, hosted by Romney himself and sponsored by a private equity firm run by one of Romney’s sons and the finance director for his campaign, Spencer Zwick. While Christie had a private sit-down with Romney and got a standing ovation from his supporters, not everyone was ready to forgive and forget. One Romney bundler told The New York Times “there’s a large group of people in that room who are N.O.P.E. on Chris Christie — not one penny ever.”

Serious question: At what point do Republicans, including/especially establishment Republicans, start trying to dig up dirt on Christie? Right now it’s a feeding frenzy for Democrats and lefty media who want to knock him down before he builds up momentum for 2016. GOPers have held off (as far as we know), partly because they don’t want to weaken the new head of the RGA before he hits the fundraising trail and partly because Christie really might be their best shot to win in 2016. Besides, given his reputation for retaliation, Republicans who dislike him might hesitate to attack for fear that he’s still strong enough to absorb a blow and will remember their treachery if/when he’s the nominee. Maybe all of that changes, though, if he’s hit by another scandal. The donor class isn’t going to invest heavily in a guy who might blow up against Ted Cruz or Rand Paul; they have alternatives, starting with Jeb Bush. Even the ones who don’t dislike Christie have an incentive in knowing soon just how dirty his hands are.

Speaking of which, have I mentioned lately that if we end up with another Bush-versus-Clinton election I’m done voting in American elections? If we’re going to make the seat of power inheritable, let’s do it without the window dressing of democracy. Tell ‘em what’s up, Barbara.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Nixon lost in ’60.

Then came back to win in ’68 & ’72.

I personally don’t want Mitt back, but I guess you can’t rule it out.

portlandon on January 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Ted Cruz

PatriotRider on January 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

AMEN to that. No leftovers, not this time. Too many things have been fouled up over the last 5 years, imagine how bad it’s going to be by the time the clown in office leaves. We need an IMPECCABLE candidate.

scalleywag on January 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Well at least the establishment is halfway there towards figuring this all out. Yes, CRISTie is a tough sell due to his issues with conservatives, but the lesson to take from that is not to go out and find another “moderate” candidate. For God’s sake, that’s WHY he’s having issues with conservatives. Because of his damn centrist or left-of-center positions. Subbing another Republican with the exact same political leanings in place of CRISTie would give you same problems heading into 2016.

Doughboy on January 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Oh, great. Another fat-boy thread…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM

It’s a Buzzfeed article, people.

chimney sweep on January 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Feel your pain. I’m a Libertarian voter, so it’s kind of the same thing.

Panther on January 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Taking stuck on stupid to levels we cannot imagine.

NO, you idiots. STOP.

dogsoldier on January 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM

As someone pointed out in Headlines, there’s more than a little bit of Tea Party vs. Establishment in this anonymously sourced article.

Now, who benefits from getting a Tea Party vs. Establishment article out about the next Presidential campaign cycle?

It ain’t Romney.
It sure as heck ain’t Christie.
It ain’t Rand Paul.
It ain’t Ted Cruz.

In fact, it ain’t anybody with an R after their name.

Now who could it be?

Think about this any time you see “concerns” and “worries” like this in an anonymously sourced article over the next 2 1/2 years.

Chris of Rights on January 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM

AP said:

Laura Ingraham tweeted a week ago that a top Romney advisor was sounding out donors for another Romney run. I tweeted you the link AP but I guess you didn’t read it.

Jon0815 on January 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM

They panic so easily don’t they?

Daemonocracy on January 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Cruz/West 2016!

Rush is making a good point right now. The symbols around the rat-eared bastard keep getting bigger and bigger because the rat-eared one is getting smaller and more petty.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Lulz

Good Lt on January 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Oh, great. Another fat-boy thread…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Well. They’ve already done a ghey marriage post last night or today. Now this. So I suppose we’re do for an “we need to at least look at some form of mild amnesty” post next.

oldroy on January 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I love that the establishment is freaking out over Christie’s crash and burn. Now lets really give them a coronary and get Ted Cruz in there in 2016.

Jack_Burton on January 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Good gravy do not tell the gilled one.
I will not vote in the election if Jeb or Christie is the nominee.
Jeb needs to listen to his mom … and Crispy Cream was a non
starter for me.

conservative tarheel on January 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM

They panic so easily don’t they?

Daemonocracy on January 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM

If the fat man loses his establishment support, the bully loses his base. He either has to appeal to conservatives or go out after liberals who don’t like Killary.

I still think that Christie is ultimately going to end up as the VP nominee for the Dems as they try to sell whatever female gets the nomination as the head of a “bipartisan” ticket.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Jeebus…… before I start thinking of a third party candidate. It sure would be nice to have a second party.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on January 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM

You know, I really do have to ask…

Exactly what IS the GOP establishment’s problem with Hillary Clinton?

Given who they support, why would they have a problem with her when the people that surround her play just as much of the patronage and payoff game as they do? Is it because they think conservatives reject all thought when the establishment mouths the “stop Hillary!” line?

BKennedy on January 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Doughboy on January 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM

+ mole

DanMan on January 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Mitt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Christie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Obama

rubberneck on January 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Laura Ingraham tweeted this on 1/7/14:

A major GOP bundler told me recently he was stunned when one of @MittRomney’s top advsrs asked him if donors wd rally for ANOTHER run!

Jon0815 on January 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM

McDonnell was a great governor for VA, he truly was, I think, and he would have been a great contender for 2016, but then all this corruption came out and he basically left office in shame. I don’t know about Christie, I still have a problem believed he knew nothing about the traffic scandal. Are we going to have to listen to him say he didn’t know about things he should have known about just like the president does? I’m sick of hearing an elected official play ignorant (or actually BE ignorant).

scalleywag on January 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM

conservative tarheel on January 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I have never sat out an election, but those choices would make it hard to motivate me to vote…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Jack_Burton on January 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Maybe the GOP establishment can get Billy to switch sides and we can have a Clinton vs Clinton showdown.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on January 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM

It’s BUZZFEED people.

Come on, Allah. Cut it with the concern trolling.

rockmom on January 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I think AP needs God back.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM

And a wife and children.

Christien on January 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM

scalleywag on January 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM

It has yet to be proven that Bob did anything illegal.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Laura Ingraham tweeted this on 1/7/14:

Jon0815 on January 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM

There you go, this is probably coming FROM the Romney camp. They are still butthurt over Mitt’s implosion in 2012.

rockmom on January 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I am not a Romney fan but another run by him is far from the worst choice. He is fully vetted, will likely learn from his past mistakes and honestly has a decent chance at winning. The idea that he lost and cannot therefore ever win has no support and is easily disproven with histroical runs from the past.

As long as he selects conservative judges and governs less liberally than the current precident I would be fine with Romney and I am definitly not a Romney supporter.

Skwor on January 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I love Mitt-but he’s done.Let him stay away.

gerrym51 on January 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I love Mitt-but he’s done.Let him stay away.

gerrym51 on January 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Nothing Mitt has said or done even remotely suggests that he is interested in being considered.

Cruz/West 2016!

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Good God, what depressing choices we have for 2016…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Ted Cruz

PatriotRider on January 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Yep

Ted is working in the background. He is smart enough not to tip his hat as to what he is doing or the strategy he will have going forward.

CC is just a big bag of RINO wind and the MSM can go chasing the gas bag to the ends of the earth.

The GOP establishment is not relevant to 21st century America.

redguy on January 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

You think you’re being funny but lets not forget that John McCain and his people were the ones that were leading the attacks on Sarah Palin even as she was the big draw at McCain for President rallies.Look for Karl Rove or some other surrender weasel re-start the talk about Cruz being Canadian.Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Yeah there’s no doubt in my mind the establishment would do everything possible to sabotage a Ted Cruz candidacy if he was the nominee. Sickening.

Jack_Burton on January 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Good God, what depressing choices we have for 2016…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

You think the GOP’s choices are depressing. Look at the Dems- Killary, Biden, or Kerry are considered the contenders with fauxcahontis as an outside shot.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Good God, what depressing choices we have for 2016…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

The MSM wants you to think Republicans only have bad choices….

But the democratic front runners are Killary Klinton and Gramps Biden?

Oh boy – yeah I can see America roaring back under the leadership of either one of these communists. /S

redguy on January 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Draft Bishop.

celtic warrior on January 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM

OMGZ AP, DON’T YOU KNOW THERE’S NO ESTABLISHMENT!

AND THE GOP WON’T VOTE FOR AMNESTY – IT’S NOT PART OF THEIR PLATFORM!

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Pretty sure they will go with Killary…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Jack_Burton on January 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Not a doubt in my mind either.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:25 PM

It seems there are several major centers of corruption in government; Chicago, Detroit, New Jersey and, California come to mind. Do we really want a potential president from any of those places. Looked what happened with a Chicago thug as President.

Dasher on January 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha…oh man, establishment turds always make me laugh.

MoreLiberty on January 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Jack_Burton on January 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Yeah the GOP establishment went for Gerald Ford instead of Reagan in 1976 and we got Carter…..

Yeah the GOP establishment went for John McCain instead of a better candidate in 2008 and we got Obama……

Yeah the GOP establishment went for Mitt Romney instead of Rick Perry in 2012 and we got Obama….again…..

Of course the GOP establishment will want to de-rail Ted Cruz…..

The GOP is more afraid of conservative candidates then they are the left-wing Progressives….

Because many in the GOP are progressive and love big government…..

redguy on January 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM

If Romney would come out and clearly tell these guys to stuff it on amnesty, and he sticks to the enforcement and illegals self-deporting strategy, I could see myself supporting him. Unlike last time, I might even support him in the primaries.

OTOH, if the GOPe gets their way and the GOP nominates a pro-amnesty candidate, I’m done with them.

I utterly despise Hillary, but I’d vote for her before I’d vote for Christie or Jeb. (No, I won’t vote for her, but if I had to choose…. )

fadetogray on January 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM

C’mon, Republicans, this is our chance!!

Lindsey Graham for President! It’s his turn! He’s moderate! He’s electable!

And maybe we could get Boehner or McConnell on the ticket as veep!

Man, get amnesty passed and we’d be talking 50-state landslide here!!

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Pretty sure they will go with Killary…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Maybe but I’m not convinced she’s really going to run. She doesn’t have to decide any time soon and, in the meantime, can suck up campaign cash like a Hoover that need not ever make it to an actual campaign.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM

…Let me explain it yet again for the GOP elitists and their donors. You wanna win the White House? First, nominate a conservative. A real one. Then lock down your base. Then and only then do you go out and target moderates and disaffected Dems, but you do it without abandoning your principles. Do that and you’ll stand a great chance of winning, even against the supposedly formidable Hillary Clinton.

Doughboy on January 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM

The problem (for the establishment) with that approach is that they would end up with someone in the Whitehouse who they have nothing in common with. At least President Hillary Clinton is somebody they can work with.

Fenris on January 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Pretty sure they will go with Killary…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I hope they do – then the first TV ads the conservatives should produce is:

“Hillary Clinton in 2016, what difference, at this point would she make?”

redguy on January 17, 2014 at 12:30 PM

What the thugs in the GOP establishment do for you.

Pitchfork them all, politically, of course.

Schadenfreude on January 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Good God, what depressing choices we have for 2016…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

We have great choices….well TWO actually.

But they HAVE TO RUN.

ToddPA on January 17, 2014 at 12:33 PM

GOP establishment panics over Christie’s troubles: “I think we need Mitt back”

Something about the definition of insanity springs to mind….

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM

She will run. There are no certainties in politics, but two things make it an extremely high probability. 1) Her ego. 2) Bill’s ego.

fadetogray on January 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Tell me again why Mitt is a RINO? He’s an honorable man who makes rational decisions and was pretty much right about Syria, Obamacare, Russia, and everything. He’s not my favorite for 2016. I like Scott Walker or Rand Paul, but I was proud to support him in 2012 and would do so again.

Killary is a vengeful, dishonorable liar. Staying home isn’t really option.

xuyee on January 17, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Lindsey Graham for President! It’s his turn! He’s moderate! He’s electable!

And maybe we could get Boehner or McConnell on the ticket as veep!

Man, get amnesty passed and we’d be talking 50-state landslide here!!

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Well Graham would secure the gay vote along with the white southern bracket. Amnesty would turn the Latinos into Republicans. But all of that does nothing for the blacks or women. I’m thinking the VP slot needs to go to a black woman. Mia Love maybe? Black, female, and a Mormon to boot!

In the post-Obama world, ticking all the racial and gender boxes is all that is going to matter.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:35 PM

It has yet to be proven that Bob did anything illegal.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM

The scandal tripped up what Republicans and even some Democrats regard as an otherwise excellent state executive. His list of accomplishments — striking a once-in-a-generation transportation-funding deal, reforming the state’s underfunded pension system, holding down college tuition, preserving the state’s stellar business and bond ratings —…..
“If you strip away all of the issues with regard to the gifts, then what you see is probably one of the most effective governors Virginia has had in quite a long time,” said state Sen. William M. Stanley Jr. (R-Franklin).

scalleywag on January 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Mitt is smart, but he is not aggressive enough when he was running. He has a very gentile way. And he’s too politically correct, the next candidate is going to more candid on identifying the problems.

However, I do remember his first debate with Obama. I love that debate. The next debate and future ones the Dems came off like A**holes. But they still won.

Oil Can on January 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Actually, I don’t recall, off hand, having read this declaration made so forcefully from Allahpundit before, but it’s very good to see it in print now.

I concur, and I, too, will be finished voting in American elections if we end up with another Bush vs Clinton election.

Dynasties are antithetical to the very founding principles of this nation. It is the reason that George Washington turned down a crown and chose, instead, to become our first President.

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM

There have been so many revelations recently proving Romney right in what he had said during the campaign, bringing him back for one more time may not be such a bad idea. The country could sure do a whole lot worse. Christie was never a Romney ally, from his keynote at the RNC convention forward it was all about Christie. He’s a loudmouth lard “bottom” and will never get my vote!

Boats48 on January 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I’ll swap you two Christies and one McCain and a Graham RINO to be named later.

Well at least the GOP has come full out of the closet now as the co-rulers they are.

In the words of Hillary: what difference does it make now?

Don L on January 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Oh where to begin?
Romney:
1. With Obamacare melting down will Romney finally admit that his healthcare program is just as bad as O’care?
2. It came out AFTER the election that he “Didn’t have the fire in the belly.” If he didn’t have it then, what to say he will have it in 2016? How will we know?
3. Is he going to be run/led by GOP idiots otherwise known as consultants? That worked out well last time.
4. Is he going to use “ORKA”? His super-neato, super-swell computer program that was nothing but multi-million dollar vaporware?
5. He ruined Ryan…sa’n.
Christy:
1. Arm around Obama days before the election….Deal breaker, non-starter for me. DMWJeb Bush:
1. Supposedly he is the “Smartest Bush”…….
2. Still a Bush…. Deal breaker

JimmyGee on January 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM

It has yet to be proven that Bob did anything illegal.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM

That’s true, that’s why it’s such a shame.

scalleywag on January 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM

fadetogray on January 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM

We’ll see. You’re right about their egos but Benghazi, her health, and negative perceptions of the current Dem administration are going to factor in too. A run would be more likely the more certain she is that there will be no primary contenders. Biden doesn’t seem to be a guy who is this close to the Presidency without making another run.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:38 PM

And on Christie’s qualifications to become President, have I mentioned that New Jersey is the least economically solvent state in the union?

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM

thatsafactjack on January 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM

But he yells at people!

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Wait a minute. Was Kris Krispykreme supposed to be the GOP’s only hope for 2016!?!

Good grief, we’re boned.

Kensington on January 17, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Whatever happened to actually having a Republican candidate that wasn’t a NE RINO?

kingsjester on January 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Ted Cruz simply doesn’t know X’s and O’s. He’s not politically savvy in the least bit. Hillary will tear him to shreds.

rubberneck on January 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I don’t think Romney wants to dive into this mess again, he’d kind of have to be insane to try it all over again. I don’t think he’s insane, I think he’s a very smart and capable businessman who would have done the country a world of goo. It’s a shame we had to settle for the current clown in office, a damn shame.

scalleywag on January 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

The morons who constitute the Christian Right in the Republican Party will sit on their hands and not got again if Romney is the nominee. Did we not see those “missing” R voters in 2012?

philw1776 on January 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Vote again

philw1776 on January 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I’ll swap you two Christies and one McCain and a Graham RINO to be named later.

In the words of Hillary: what difference does it make now?

Don L on January 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM

I’ll swap you the entire Republican party for
one Sarah Palin and one Ted Cruz….

THIS is my ticket…..of course, the chances of it
happening are extremely remote, but WTH, after
the last two election debacles, I figure I got as
much chance with this as with any other scenario….

ToddPA on January 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Good grief, we’re boned.

Kensington on January 17, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Christie was the liberal “Republican” the establishment GOP was searching for in the same way that Ahab was searching for the Great White Whale.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM

ToddPA on January 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Don’t see it happening, buddy…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM

rubberneck on January 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Bull.

kingsjester on January 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Ann doesn’t want him to run, and so he won’t. That’s it.

Tacitus on January 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM

The GOP establishment is unable to determine the real problem — the GOP establishment themselves.

sadatoni on January 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM

philw1776 on January 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

And they’d turn out in droves for Christie? Oh Please!

Here’s a tip for the surrender weasels. Stop pushing candidates on the Christian right who clearly hate Christian conservatives. McCain was bad enough but Romney gave up a golden opportunity when he didn’t go out after the HHS mandate on religious freedom grounds. I can only imagine how much hatred the fat man would heap upon people who are to the right of his left-of-center positions. Let’s not forget that Christie supports amnesty for the illegal parasites of New Jersey.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:50 PM

philw1776 on January 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Excuse me, Skippy. As a member of the “Christian Right”, I voted for the Squish.

kingsjester on January 17, 2014 at 12:50 PM

rubberneck on January 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Ahhhhhh, I just KNEW you were waiting in the wings!

BRAVO!!! You sure set us Rubes straight!!

Now we’re just waiting for Verb, and
Lost my Mother in a Dumpster fire,
and the table will be set!

ToddPA on January 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Not here to defend Mitt, but from a organizational stand point he would be the best to “keep the trains running on time”. He clearly has strengths, unfortunately they are just not well suited for the cut-throat political arena.

Tater Salad on January 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM

kingsjester on January 17, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Yep. I voted for Mitt as well…

OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Oh, great. Another fat-boy thread…
OmahaConservative on January 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM

“Maybe if I can scour the bowels of the internet, I can find a Fatboy story I can pass off as a Romney story. Yeah, that’s the ticket!”

Cubby-withdrawal is a beaatch….

whatcat on January 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM

philw1776 on January 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Morons?

The Christian Right is far more intelligent than the RINO establishment and any Liberal dipcrap group.

sentinelrules on January 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Ann doesn’t want him to run, and so he won’t. That’s it.

Tacitus on January 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM

One of the things I truly admire about the Romneys are that they clearly are the same people in private as they are in public. When Mitt says he’s not interested it is clear that he means it. Not some sort of coy little game that is being played.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Amazing. The jerks around here who were calling us Reagan Conservatives everything but a Child of god, are already attempting to sabotage Ted Cruz this far oout from 2016. They must really have their knickers in a twist over him.

Fear is a strong motivator.

kingsjester on January 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM

God.

kingsjester on January 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM

A Hillary v. Biden nomination battle would provide a ton of comedy material! I laugh just thinking about it.

whatcat on January 17, 2014 at 12:56 PM

philw1776 on January 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Ah, that old bigoted chestnut never gets old, does it?

*psssst* Guess what – people didn’t vote for Santorum or Huckabee, either, so… so much for a monolithic ‘Christian Right’ that vote in lock step because of their religion.

People didn’t sit out because of Mitt’s religion, they sat out because he was a crappy candidate. Like McCain, like Christie, like anyone else the GOP establishment is likely to foist on the rest of us.

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Exactly Right.

kingsjester on January 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM

He’ tanned rested and ready.

Believe in America!

Etch-a-Sketch 2016

Ted Torgerson on January 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM

rubberneck on January 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Ted Cruz was a world class debater at Princeton (literally). In October his filibuster was pretty much a marathon discussion about Obamacare, with a couple of tangents like when he read a bedtime story for his kids. I think Ted has a pretty good shot of tearing Killary to shreds.

Cruz/West 2016!

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Yep.

kingsjester on January 17, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Nixon lost in ’60.

That douche also gave us the EPA and affirmative action.

MoreLiberty on January 17, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Fear is a strong motivator.

kingsjester on January 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM

SPOT ON

After having to endure 8 years of this Mother Effer, I
want PALIN/CRUZ.

I want one giant explosion in this country! Let’s
cram the left’s worst case scenario down their throats!

And any GOPers who want to “stay home” fine, go Eff yourselves.

I voted for Mitt, gladly, I might add. But I sure as hell don’t
appreciate being called out for not pulling the guy over
the finish line. Seems to me he failed to make the sale.

ToddPA on January 17, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Why do I get the feeling that the GOP establishment would rather elect a Democrat than a conservative?

myiq2xu on January 17, 2014 at 1:00 PM

myiq2xu on January 17, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Because their every action effectively communicates exactly that.

Midas on January 17, 2014 at 1:02 PM

whatcat on January 17, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Yeah, which is why I don’t think it will happen. Dems have an establishment caucus too. Somebody, maybe even the rat-eared wonder, is going to take Biden aside and have a little chat with him about his future. And also find out what it will cost to have him drop his Presidential aspirations.

Happy Nomad on January 17, 2014 at 1:02 PM