Cuomo: Pro-life people have “no place in the state of New York”

posted at 7:31 pm on January 17, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Forty-eight percent of Americans and all priests and nuns are no longer welcome in the Empire State, according to its governor. Delivering a monologue on Republicans with all the hyperbole of an MSNBC anchor and none of the charm, Cuomo offered this:

You have a schism within the Republican Party. … They’re searching to define their soul, that’s what’s going on. Is the Republican party in this state a moderate party or is it an extreme conservative party? That’s what they’re trying to figure out. It’s a mirror of what’s going on in Washington. The gridlock in Washington is less about Democrats and Republicans. It’s more about extreme Republicans versus moderate Republicans.

… You’re seeing that play out in New York. … The Republican Party candidates are running against the SAFE Act — it was voted for by moderate Republicans who run the Senate! Their problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are.

If they’re moderate Republicans like in the Senate right now, who control the Senate — moderate Republicans have a place in their state. George Pataki was governor of this state as a moderate Republican; but not what you’re hearing from them on the far right.”

He at least uses the liberal pejoratives for those who are pro-2nd Amendment and oppose gay marriage. “Right to life” he uses as if it’s offensive on its face. As Life News notes, he leans heavily on the President Barack tactic to simply declare everyone who disagrees with your positions in the slightest “extreme,” even if many of those people are your constituents. But how extreme is the pro-life position, even in a blue state like New York? Unlike, say, gay marriage, the polling on abortion restrictions, particularly second and third trimesters, regularly and overwhelmingly favors the more conservative position.

Cuomo spent much of 2013 trying to pass a Reproductive Health Act that moved the opposite direction of abortion legislation in states like Texas and North Carolina. He took from the Dr. Gosnell’s House of Horrors story that, hey, who shouldn’t be able to perform abortions, huh? The legislation, which was stuck into a broader Women’s Equality Act, stalled in the Senate because of its abortion provisions and under strong fire from the state’s bishops, who apparently are also no longer welcome in New York.

One 2013 poll, commissioned by the Chiaroscuro Foundation found, just as in the rest of the country, though many consider themselves pro-choice, they are very open to restrictions to abortion in the second and third trimesters and think abortions are already accessible enough in their state. A few of the questions lean on the prejudicial, but the bent of the electorate is clear:

The findings conclude that an overwhelming majority of New Yorkers support sensible restrictions on abortions, with eighty percent (80%) opposing unlimited abortion through the ninth month of pregnancy and seventy-five percent (75%) opposing changes in current law so that someone other than a doctor can perform an abortion.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

It seems like since Obama came to office, nearly all of our politicians have become arrogant b******s.

sadatoni on January 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM

They always were. It’s just now they feel like it’s OK to show it.

bofh on January 17, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Democrats, on demand abortion is more important to them than defending our borders. Pitiful.

Zorro on January 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM

News flash, slick – I don’t need yer friggin permission. Suck on it, baby!

mojo on January 17, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Despite being a Democrat I liked Cuomo. I know we’d disagree on policies, but I found him forthright and someone you can have a reasonable conversation with. His true liberal hatefulness, but I repeat myself, has at last shone through. He’s a donkey cavity like the rest of them.

hadsil on January 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM

A more accurate way of putting that: is the Republican party a moderate-Tyranny party or is it an extreme pro-Liberty Party? Of course, we know the answer already. In both CA and NY, it’s a moderate-Tyranny party. In TX, an extreme pro-Liberty party. Which model is most conducive to justice and prosperity? We know the answer to that one, too.

TXJenny on January 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM

TXJenny on January 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I know I love TX and the name Jenny. Although my mom always wanted my sister to be called Jennifer. I sometimes called her shit head. I’m very bad.

arnold ziffel on January 17, 2014 at 10:53 PM

The liberal democrat party is for people with glass feet.

Kjeil on January 17, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Come on Guv…. walk upright…. stop drag’n your knuckles…step into the new century…. EVERY discipline of science recognizes that life begins at conception…… to Quote AlGore The SCIENCE IS SETTLED….. do you really take that much pleasure in slice’n & dice’n the helpless defenseless.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on January 17, 2014 at 11:25 PM

The main reason I have little patience with the hierarchy of the Catholic Church is because it refuses to call out politicians like Cuomo, Pelosi, Biden, the Kennedys–those who call themselves Catholic but proudly and openly advocate for abortion.

There was a picture of Cardinal Dolan yukking it up with the new mayor of NYC, Comrade DiBlasio, in the WSJ a couple of days ago. And supposedly Obama is going to meet with Pope Francis.

Dolan should be keeping far-left DiBlasio at arm’s length, although I’m sure he’s completely on board with the mayor’s big plans to redistribute wealth in NYC. “Social justice” trumps abortion, I guess.

And the Pope should flat-out refuse to meet with President Anti-Born Alive Infant Protection Act.

Meredith on January 17, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Scumbag.

rrpjr on January 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM

This one’s so easy.

Just NEVER go there.

WryTrvllr on January 18, 2014 at 12:57 AM

We’re lucky they let us live. They’d much rather not.

Alana on January 18, 2014 at 1:00 AM

I hope he acts on it. He knows he wants to.

nobar on January 18, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Why in the world does anybody with any sense still live in that cesspool?

We have lots of room in Texas and you are all welcome. :)

Theophile on January 18, 2014 at 1:13 AM

This seems like a quote that ought to come back to haunt him should he ever aspire to a higher chair.

Of course “ought to” and “will” are pretty different what with the media these days, no doubt they’d bury it as deep as they could, but I do still hold out hope that the last 2 cycles have taught more than a few a lesson about this stuff.

Paradox Drive on January 18, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Funny how if you support decentralized decision making and spending restraint, you’re an extremist. The reality is we’re the party of moderation, certainly standing next to them anyway.

I wish our people would put it right back on them. The only one recently I’ve seen do that is newt. Demagoguing works, if you haven’t noticed. And why aren’t our guys and girls trying to drive a wedge between them and the few moderates left in their party?

crrr6 on January 18, 2014 at 1:53 AM

I don’t like his stance on guns, but this Cuomo seems pretty cool for a Democrat to me. Actually, I am sure I don’t agree with Cuomo on almost anything about economics or foreign policy so the last sentence is just to annoy pro-lifers.

thuja on January 18, 2014 at 1:59 AM

NY must produce copious amounts of politicians with teeny weenies.
Cuomo, Bloomberg, Di Blassio, Schumer, Nadler, King.

RovesChins on January 17, 2014 at 8:00 PM

How did you write that sentence without mentioning Weiner’s weiner?

blammm on January 18, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Pro-life people have “no place in the state of New York”

Don L on January 18, 2014 at 5:22 AM

So THIS is the only issue in the top 50 issues that Christie and Cuomo disagree on. Good to know.

KMav on January 18, 2014 at 5:24 AM

-Mary Katharine Ham

Mary Katharine, do you find the vile MSNBC anchors charming? Which one is your favorite? Chris Matthews? Maybe Alex Wagner?

bluegill on January 18, 2014 at 5:44 AM

What good is this section if the comment you post gets deleted?

TX-96 on January 18, 2014 at 6:23 AM

No worries, Mr.Cuomo, I’ll happily stay away from the cesspool known as New York.

zoyclem on January 18, 2014 at 6:29 AM

NY must produce copious amounts of politicians with teeny weenies.
Cuomo, Bloomberg, Di Blassio, Schumer, Nadler, King.

RovesChins on January 17, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I think you have just solved the mystery of why Anthony Wiener likes to tweet photos of his to all and sundry. In the land of midgets, ordinary is king, or something like that.

CJ on January 18, 2014 at 6:39 AM

We’ve seen his kin before—Germany 1930′s, only then they were just against one kind of life–but Satan has indeed come completely out of the closet these day and apparently, no one seems to mind that all life–even motherhood is now an enemy in this Godless nation.

Don L on January 18, 2014 at 6:39 AM

Well there goes the state song out the window. You can’t make it in New York.

steveracer on January 18, 2014 at 7:13 AM

Don’t worry Cuomo, I wouldn’t go within 500 miles of that morally challenged, socialistic sludge pot.

rplat on January 18, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Well, that’s about all of upstate. Time for breaking away from “the city called hell”.

stenwin77 on January 18, 2014 at 7:29 AM

There are reasons I left the People’s Republic of New York, and its entire attitude towards individual liberty, freedom and the right to keep and bear arms was already enough for me back in the ’80s.

Plus the idea that you can be taxed to death, your death taxed, your internet connection taxed, and then counties seeking ‘special, temporary’ taxes which are neither… and the only way to get anything done was under the table dealings with someone you knew…

When the State tells you that you must worship at ITS altar of POWER it brooks no other deities.

Soon they will rename the months.

Thermidor is coming.

ajacksonian on January 18, 2014 at 7:38 AM

More LSM approved hate speech from the Left…

Khun Joe on January 18, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Don’t worry, Mario. You’ll never see me there.

However, if you want to visit some actual Americans, come on down to Mississippi for some pulled pork barbeque and some Deer Hunting.

kingsjester on January 18, 2014 at 8:23 AM

thuja on January 18, 2014 at 1:59 AM

I’d like to retract this drunken posting. For Cuomo to claim the authority to say what is acceptable and unacceptable in the Republican Party is arrogant and despicable. Cuomo is neither the monitor of all truth nor the monitor of all truth relative to New York.

thuja on January 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM

So he says if you believe in the 2nd amendment or are pro-life you aren’t welcome. Well then that probably covers around 85% of the country. What an idiot? I just saw an ad on TV promoting NY as a great place to do business. You can forget about that now. I hope every surrounding state uses this fool’s words agiainst the state.

Ta111 on January 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM

If I didn’t know better I might think the little shit was trying to taunt pro life dollars his way. One thing you little shit, so long as I remain a relatively free man I will come and go across any part of this Nation I wish. Suck what!?!?

Bmore on January 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I’m up for a boycott of new york.
All people of conscience should stay away from this cell pool.

maryo on January 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Cuomo:

Unlike the Democrat Party, which abandoned any pretext of having a soul decades ago.

BigAlSouth on January 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Don L on January 18, 2014 at 6:39 AM

Yep. To complete their “progress”, they’ll need to segregate the contrarians for easy identification. A star on their shirt required at all times perhaps. They’re already working on the slums.
Democrats looove slaves.

onomo on January 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM

He’ll be a bunch of fun at the Al Smith dinner…

joepub on January 18, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Cuomo’s go to fourth level crazy when cornered….

joe btfsplk on January 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Count to 10 on January 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Sorta like Illinois – you have Chicago and the rest of the state. I’ll bet the downstaters would break free in a heartbeat iffin they were given the opportunity – they’re way tired of a few Chicago crooks (but I repeat myself) making decisions for the entire state.

I lament the fact I live about 20 miles from Scott Walker’s Wisconsin – they just forecast a nearly 1 BILLION dollar surplus and are already talking MORE tax cuts (TruCons: “So what? Walker’s a RINO!)

Meanwhile, our own Governor, Pat Quinn who my wife charitably compares to Homer Simpson (but Homer is WAY more articulate and good-looking) sneers at whay Walker is doing and claiming that tax HIKES are the only way to close Illinois’ bazillion dollar budget deficit.

As soon as property values (hopefully) rebound, we’re outta Illinois for wisconsin or Tennessee.

brushman on January 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM

To the cattle cars!

Akzed on January 18, 2014 at 10:26 AM

whay=what. d’Oh!

brushman on January 18, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Would New York be happier if it was split up into New York state and New York City state? Count to 10 on January 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM

The 124 States of America

Akzed on January 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM

And…in a related story…there’s thunder snow in Brooklyn.

kingsjester on January 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM

There sure is a bunch of elite, arrogant snobs running the city and state of NY. I get tired of listening to their divisiveness, their “I know better than you so you shut up” attitude, but I don’t have to live there so up yours, Cuomo.

scalleywag on January 18, 2014 at 10:36 AM

sure is are a bunch of elite

scalleywag on January 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Governor Cuomo offers us an illustration of what liberals mean when they laud terms like “diversity” and “tolerance.”

Socratease on January 18, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Something is screwy with Rasmussen’s polls. I don’t know who Scott sold the firm to but just checkout Obama’s JA #. It’s not that Rasmussens number is off the graph line, it’s not even on the same page as the other JA numbers. Somebody told me they only poll in CA

rik on January 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Actually while both entities seem to think they would be better off separated, there is a form of symbiosis here. Upstate currently lives off wealth redistributed from NYC where most of the income tax is generated. On the other hand, if NYC was on its own, it would have governor Deblasio who would trash the businesses and people that produces the wealth in NYC. Upstate keeps the State Senate GOP with enough power to prevent complete social and economic destruction from occurring.

KW64 on January 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Count to 10 on January 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM

KW64 on January 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM

KW64 on January 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM

“So … join me Jim Jones Cuomo in the party of death!”

kregg on January 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Governor Cuomo should be roundly condemned by everyone for such a statement. In addition women hold all the cards in a marriage and even in a consensual sexual relationship when it comes to having children. We should be discussing the War on Men, not the War on Women.

SC.Charlie on January 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM

The all caring liberal who runs this liberal state wants new business to locate in his state. However if your a conservative he doesn’t want you in the first place so don’t move your business there. This guy has a brain supposedly. Just another example of a socialist with dreams.

regmgr on January 18, 2014 at 11:52 AM

My family, who has lived in New York since the 17th century, would disagree.

besser tot als rot on January 18, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Leftists, revealing (their own) tyranny once again.

rlwo2008 on January 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I’m a native (upstate) New Yorker. I love my state. I grew up here. There’s no place on earth I’d rather be.

But this state has been swirling the bowl for years, and it has only accelerated under this doofus Cuomo, whose every move is oriented more toward him being President someday (which he’s ever going to be) rather than helping the state recover.

Taxes crushing businesses? Well, let’s just create a program that allows businesses willing to be subject to various controls near state universities the option of being tax-free for 10 years. They could move to Florida and be tax free permanently, but let’s see if this gimmick works!

Taxes crushing homeowners? We’ll just put a cap on increases to the already out of control property taxes in the state – we won’t do anything about the root cause of high property taxes (unfunded mandates), of course, we’ll just put all the burden of fiscal stress on municipalities while they toil under the myriad list of insane mandates from Albany.

My wife and I do love our state to death. We were both born, raised, and educated upstate. We met each other here. But when we recently bought a home, it wasn’t one that we felt would be the place we’d always live. We figured we’d give the place we love 10 years to unfark itself.

We’re only about 4 months in, and the trend isn’t exactly moving in the right direction. Being explicitly told that we’re not welcome in the place we love by the man who fancies himself some kind of absolute ruler rather than an elected leader isn’t helping.

Red Cloud on January 18, 2014 at 12:35 PM

OT – superb read from kingsjester

Schadenfreude on January 18, 2014 at 1:23 PM

First comes homosexual marriage. Next up: polygamy. Finally, the ultimate goal: normalization of same-sex relationships between adults and children. Libertarians and conservatives who went along with this: You were nothing but tools. Useful idiots.

pdigaudio on January 18, 2014 at 1:33 PM

You have to love it when liberals are honest. WE’ve hit a gold mine this week with Cuomo and Weinstein declaring their true feelings. The reason this is happening is because Obama has been allowed to get away with this language for 5 years. If they press did it’s job and pointed out how this position is extreme, at it’s core, we could have a sensible conversation about the issues. Instead, Obama says what he wants and, if you don’t agree with him, you’re an extreme right wing bigot.

Now Cuomo, using the same tactic, thinks he can get the same result. I think that tactic doesn’t work as well at the state level. People know people so, when you call them extreme, the majority knows that’s not true. If CUomo is looking to have a dysfunctional legislature, like Obama has, he can play that game, but it will cost him. Even his father wasn’t that stupid.

bflat879 on January 18, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Just keep that putrid liberal fungus in New York.

rplat on January 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM

The. President’s attitude and disregard for the will of the people and the Constitution has emboldened every nutty Democrat.

mobydutch on January 18, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Florida officially surpasses NY in population

Cuomo is loved by left…Hillary better look over her shoulder…He is a hero with these statements

Booker is still lurking too

Redford on January 18, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Why in the world does anybody with any sense still live in that cesspool?

We have lots of room in Texas and you are all welcome. :)

Theophile on January 18, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Because this is my home and this is where my family is. My husband has lived in this house his whole life.

Cuomo is the one who needs to leave. He’s filthy scum and we should all remember how he contributed to the great recession as the HUD secretary under Clinton. He should be marched through the streets so we can hit him with sticks.

The Safe Act has united a lot of people against this idiot. The other day I was startled by a huge boom. Apparently, everybody who disagreed with the Safe Act was supposed to shoot their guns off at the same time. It was loud. Did the heart good.

magicbeans on January 18, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Very liberal NY Governor Democrat Andrew Cuomo: Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York

Favorite GOPe Presidential candidate Chris Christie Feb 2013: “I’m not much different from Andrew Cuomo. I probably agree with him on 98% of the issues.”

RJL on January 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Cuomo,

Why would anyone WANT to live in your state? When all the productive people have moved out you’ll be the new Detroit.

dogsoldier on January 18, 2014 at 5:58 PM

RJL on January 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Yep.

Bmore on January 18, 2014 at 5:58 PM

What would happen to this poor deluded village idiot if ALL those people left New York?

Isn’t that the overwhelming majority of employed taxpayers??

You’ve named your poison, sir. I hope you’re willing to live with it.
(^o^)

avagreen on January 18, 2014 at 6:08 PM

DAMN IT!!

Oh well. Guess I’ll just have to take the Family to Florida for vacation, instead of Good-Ol’ NY, NY.

….LOL!! Suck it, Cuomo.

a5minmajor on January 18, 2014 at 6:39 PM

He just kissed his Presidential aspirations goodbye. It’s amazing how these deranged progs have felt so empowered by the current lawless administration to crawl out from under their rocks.

rjh on January 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Roger that, dogsoldier. You’re right on.

NoPain on January 18, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Detroit on the hudson

SparkPlug on January 18, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Cuomo, never, ever come to Texas. Your kind are never welcome here.

john1schn on January 18, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Imagine if a GOPer said the the same about Pro Choicers. The outrage would have been deafening.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Cuomo never seemed very intelligent to me. Now he just seems like a typical fascist thug.

claudius on January 18, 2014 at 8:38 PM

You dimwitted Catholics who vote “D” …eat it.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 18, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Andrew Cuomo: religious bigot.

RebeccaH on January 18, 2014 at 8:51 PM

KW64 on January 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Where is this redistributed wealth from NYC? I think upstate would happily cut free of NYC. In a heartbeat. Then we would be free to develop our natural gas resources. One city free to good home.

magicbeans on January 18, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Why doesn’t some reporter ask when the governor plans to start relocating these recalcitrants?

claudius on January 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM

For the Left, utopia is always just one purge away.

xuyee on January 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM

It’s come to my attention that not everyone is thrilled with Andrew.

diogenes on January 18, 2014 at 9:08 PM

bluegill on January 18, 2014 at 5:44 AM

Come on, bluegill. You really need a lesson in sarcasm?

Jaibones on January 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM

It’s amazing, when you control the media, how you can lie with abandon. Democrats have been saying for years that republicans are so beholden to the religious right, they’ll be in your bedroom telling you what to do. Meanwhile the media never report the fascist thugs, on the left, who want to ban free speech, take aim at religious people with a conscience, and take away the 2nd Amendment, without doing so through the constitutional process.

We have much more to fear from people like Cuomo, than we ever did from people named Bush. Bush lied, people died, except Bush never lied, he told the truth about British Intelligence. Now, Obama lied and people lost their health insurance, found replacement plans that doubled in price and raised deductibles, and there’s still a huge danger that someone will go to a hospital and not be insured because the Obama lies about his plan being ready for prime-time, were just that, lies.

If our illustrious free press ever starts to cover Democrats like they do Republicans, the Democrats may not win another election.

bflat879 on January 18, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Facist hate speech from the ruling class…where are the trains and the work camps?

d1carter on January 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Can we just admit martyrdom is not far off yet?

Gatekeeper on January 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM

He does have a good, though clumsy, observation.
The Democrats are almost all lockstep leftists and their
party has been completely purged of spineless-moderates.
Whatever “conservative-Democrats” used to be there left
years ago.

Now it is time for the Republicans to do the same thing.
Lose the RINOs and the Croney Capitalists.

Then the REAL game will begin.

shorebird on January 19, 2014 at 12:32 AM