Weinstein: I’m making a movie that the NRA will hate

posted at 10:01 am on January 16, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

I know this will shock Hot Air readers, but a major Hollywood producer plans to make a movie for political purposes. (Gasp!) And it will oppose conservative/libertarian values. (Gasp!) And it will star Meryl Streep. Okay, that doesn’t really surprise anyone, but the hypocrisy here is amusing nonetheless. The man who fills screens with flying bullets on a regular basis told Howard Stern yesterday that he’s going to make the NRA “wish they weren’t alive after I’m done with them.”

Er … good luck with that, Harvey Weinstein:

Big-time movie producer Harvey Weinstein revealed Wednesday that he is making an anti-gun movie with actress Meryl Streep that is going to make the National Rifle Association “wish they weren’t alive.”

During an interview with Howard Stern on his radio show, Weinstein said the new full feature drama will take the NRA “head on.” He also said he’s never owned a gun and never will.

“I don’t think we need guns in this country. And I hate it. I think the NRA is a disaster area,” Weinstein said. …

“I’m going to make a movie with Meryl Streep, and we’re going to take this issue head on. And they’re going to wish they weren’t alive after I’m done with them,” he added, referring to the NRA.

Congratulations, genius. You’re setting out to make a movie that will annoy more than 60 million Americans who responsibly own firearms.  What a great marketing strategy that will be! Why, this new project will take … the same oh-so-courageous-and-tediously-didactic path as the anti-war films Lions for Lambs and Rendition, two films which bombed at the box office in 2007, both of which also starred … Meryl Streep.

Let’s muse on the irony, though, of Harvey Weinstein making this declaration. How much gunfire went into Pulp Fiction, which he exec-produced? The 2008 Rambo sequel? Jackie Brown? Let’s talk about the blood-drenched Quentin Tarantino dreckfest Planet Terror, where the protagonists arm up to protect themselves (against zombies). Even when guns aren’t necessarily the issue, Weinstein has no problem with massively violent films like the Kill Bill series, the third installment of which is apparently in pre-production despite the fact that Bill died at the end of “Vol. 2″.

Anyway, Harvey, best of luck with that marketing strategy. If you’re that interested in quelling violence, maybe you should rethink your partnership with Quentin for a start.

Update: Maybe Harvey should take a meeting with Mark Tapscott:

Yet, as Daniel Payne Points out today in an important analysis posted on the Federalist blog, a Gallup poll recently found that 47 percent of Americans reporting having at least one firearm in their home.

And gun ownership is spiraling, a fact that is reflected in the FBI’s conducting more than 21 million background checks for firearms purchasers in 2013, the most in a single year since 1998 when such checks started.

Where’s the crime wave?

The quick answer is, there isn’t one.

Harvey, have yours call Mark’s and do lunch sometime. Soon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Lefties seem incapable of learning. Every time our second amendment rights are attacked, NRA membership increases.

I believe today it’s at an all-time high.

Go ‘head Weinerstien, knock yerself out. You are unwittingly driving second amendment supporters to the NRA. More members = more funds = more pro-2nd lobbying and advertising.

Fool.

Archer on January 16, 2014 at 3:47 PM

He doesn’t like guns,
But he likes to have Freedom.
A contradiction.

How many tyrannies would have enslaved the World in the last couple hundred years, if not for the robust and free United States to stand in the way? I count three, maybe four…

Without the decentralized power of a gun-wielding population, the United States would be just another mediocre social welfare state, for as long as that lasted. We would have been easy pickins, long ago.

Haiku Guy on January 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I think it’s a great idea, and it just can’t lose. Weinstein should sink every penny he has into it, and not only that, but he needs to borrow every last cent he can scrape together, and sink it all into this movie to rid us of the NRA.

DFCtomm on January 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Really? A remake of an already successful movie, based on a tremendously succesful broadway show makes him a genius?

Talk about the bar being low.

Mitoch55 on January 16, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I didn’t know he had anything to do with the remake. I assumed that he was pulling the same stunt to make money that was shown in the original movie. You know a flop makes more money than a success. If that was not the intent of the comment than it was my mistake.

The remake of the move stunk. The original was great and I have it in my DVD collection. Along with a few others of that era like “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” and “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World”.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 16, 2014 at 3:59 PM

And so will the majority of Americans

jake49 on January 16, 2014 at 4:46 PM

This is one of the funnest things that I have read in a long time.

How much do you want to bet, Harvey Weinstien is one of the most heavily guarded liberals in the World. His bodyguards carry firearms to protect him and his family from bad guys with …FIREARMS!!!

In his world, only people wealthy enough to purchase professional bodyguards should be entitled to protection. The rest of us need to pay to watch his movies and enjoy the popcorn.

Did somebody say: Keep them satisfied with bread and circuses?

SayNo2-O on January 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Well at least he’s not making a two part film of Atlas Shrugged.

verbaluce on January 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Actually, it’s a three-parter. Third parts in production.

You don’t seem to know much about anything, do you?

Not guns, not the NRA, not the movies……

What use are you?

Solaratov on January 16, 2014 at 5:12 PM

What use are you?

Solaratov on January 16, 2014 at 5:12 PM

To showcase the intellect and debating skills of your average Leftie/Prog?

BigAlSouth on January 16, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Say what you will about the films made by ‘Hollywood lefty types’ – but as it relates to quality film making and great acting vs what cons/righties come up with, you might wanna say ‘thank you’.

verbaluce on January 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

What color is the sky on your planet?

Solaratov on January 16, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I wonder how many million new NRA dues paying members Weinstein’s new movie will sign up.

Also, as pointed out, Weinstein has made a vast fortune depicting and glorifying irresponsible and illegal use of guns in his movies.

RJL on January 16, 2014 at 5:25 PM

verbaluce on January 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

For garbage? Well, maybe except for things like The Dark Knight, which seemed to get lefty panties in a wad.

ddrintn on January 16, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Another annoying libtard

SparkPlug on January 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM

verbaluce on January 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

By the way, my vote for the best movie of the past 30 years would be for Raise the Red Lantern, not from Hollywood but from China. And the message of that one was one of suffocating collectivism as opposed to individualism. Those red lanterns enclosing, almost squashing poor, gone-mad Gong Li’s character as the final credits roll are your lefty political philosophy.

ddrintn on January 16, 2014 at 5:58 PM

That picture of Harvey on the front page really needs a pig ‘whee-wheeee’ sound attached to it.

MTF on January 16, 2014 at 6:06 PM

verbaloon on January 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Longtime friend of mine wrote screenplays for some of the classics. 2 of his screenplays got Oscar nominations for Best Screenplay.

He was a lifelong card-carrying Republican.

F-

Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2014 at 6:23 PM

From NewsBusters

Pro-Second Amendment author Emily Miller appeared on CNN and dismantled a gun control guest. CNN Newsroom anchor Brooke Baldwin talked to Arkadi Gerney of the liberal Center for American Progress and Miller about the announcement that powerful studio mogul Harvey Weinstein plans an attack film on the NRA.

-snip-

EMILY MILLER: There has never been a gun law in this country that has reduced violence. Ever. Not once. And gun violence is down 50 percent now than it was 30 years ago. So, gun violence is decreasing and gun ownership is the highest rate it’s ever been. But almost half the country has a gun in the home now.

ARKADI GERNEY (Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress): There are 300 million Americans are not members of the NRA. And the reason to make this movie is not because NRA members have been doing things that lead to violence. It’s because the NRA has blocked policies to cut down on gun violence. And Emily is wrong when she said there isn’t evidence that gun laws lead to reducing gun violence.

MILLER: Name one then.

GERNEY: There’s a mountain of evidence that shows –

MILLER: Name one.

GERNEY: The ten states with the strongest gun laws in the country, if you compare that to the ten states with the weakest gun laws in the country, you see gun deaths that are half, half the gun deaths in those states.

MILLER: Where – Cite where you’re getting that information.

GERNEY: That’s a report that I wrote and published last year on the website for the Center for American Progress.

MILLER: Oh, it’s yourself. Oh, okay, so you’re a leftist organization and your own information. Well, the CDC –

GERNEY: Well, it’s a report that was published in the New York Times as well.

MILLER: Okay, well, for the viewers to know, the CDC is the government research– is the government arm. The Centers for Disease Control did a study of all firearms laws.

GERNEY: Which is the data we used.

MILLER: Okay, so you’re saying the government is wrong and you’re correct. That’s fine.

Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I’ll go along with Harvey’s war and, when I see his name or the name of his company I just won’t go see the movie. When I see a movie with Meryl Streep, I’ll refuse to go. I don’t need them to live and, apparently they don’t need me. That’s fine with me.

bflat879 on January 16, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Dear Mr. Weinstein,
You’re too late. There’s already a movie where nobody is allowed to have guns except the government.

It’s called: Schindler’s List

Better luck next time.

Socratease on January 16, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Weinstein: I’m making a movie that the NRA will hate

Me: Go forth and Spend, Harv!

I pray to God Almighty, that you spend a billion dollars making, promoting, and distributing a film, that about 400,000 liberal douche-nozzles pay $18.00 a piece to see.

Fat, elitist, leftist pig.

a5minmajor on January 16, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Weinstein: “I’m making a movie that the NRA will hate.”

I hate re-runs…

right2bright on January 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM

THREAD WINNER.

ToddPA on January 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I’m nominating this one:

Dear Mr. Weinstein,

It’s called: Schindler’s List

Better luck next time.

Socratease on January 16, 2014 at 6:28 PM

listens2glenn on January 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM

verbaluce on January 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM

What use are you?

Solaratov on January 16, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Target practice. He certainly makes me bring my A-game.

arnold ziffel on January 16, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I don’t think we need Weinstein in this country and I hate it. I think he is a disaster for this country.

deimos on January 16, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I’m sure all of ten people will see it.

rickv404 on January 16, 2014 at 10:17 PM

He also said he’s never owned a gun and never will.

Self hating Jew that he is….I’ll bet he wishes his ancestors that were jammed into boxcars sure wish they had guns. And the Chutzpah to use them.

Stupid clueless insane prog who misses the whole point of self defense. I wonder how many relatives it cost this…PUTZ?

Twana on January 16, 2014 at 10:44 PM

verbaluce on January 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Verbaluce, you have a call on line 1. A Mr. Eastwood would like to speak to you…

Moose Drool on January 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM

the ministry of propaganda is alive an well, led by Mr weinstein

RonK on January 17, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Funny thing hypocrisy. Ole Harvey will make such a movie, if he can find a bunch of dupes who will pay him to make it. I doubt he will have one red cent invested, relying solely on his “investors.”

BigAlSouth on January 17, 2014 at 6:09 AM

The only movie I plan to pay to see is Lone Survivor.

ctmom on January 17, 2014 at 8:26 AM

There are many films produced that have not received the income they were expecting because the actors in the films. Some are good actors, but their outspoken political diatribes insult / attack half of the country and as a result, half the country does not pay to see them. I believe Harvey is about to prove this point again. Maybe he can get Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon to be in it too. What a Joke.

Guest1.1 on January 17, 2014 at 9:13 AM

“Weinstein: I’m making a movie that the NRA will hate”

No, sport, you’re making a movie that the NRA (and the rest of the world) will ignore.

Anyone read the rest of the interview? When asked what he would do if his wife were attacked, spouted some insane nonsense about magically finding a gun laying around just where and when he needed it, but otherwise, had no use for them.

Final note: If you and that ugly has-been want to disarm Americans, why don’t you start with your bodyguards?

Russ in OR on January 17, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Yeah, like Ishtar and Gigli…….

itsspideyman on January 16, 2014 at 3:19 PM

With a certain sense of humor, Ishtar is actually a quite funny movie.

Axeman on January 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Dear Mr. Weinstein,

It’s called: Schindler’s List

Socratease on January 16, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Bah-ooom!!

Axeman on January 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I spend those slow Sunday afternoons shooting, not going to movies, so I’ll never see Winestain’s stupid movie.

claudius on January 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I think he should go all in and stake his fortune on this movie, make it a $500 Million blockbuster production to make sure he “buries” the NRA!

EasyEight on January 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM

verbaluce on January 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

ddrintn on January 16, 2014 at 5:58 PM

GREAT movie.
Gong Li is stellar.

verbaluce on January 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Fat middle aged producers or whatever he is gotta do this at least once a year, whether they mean it or not, to keep the casting couches warm.

That’s all there is -or ever will be- to this.

Akzed on January 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Long live the NRA. I need to enroll as a member.

SC.Charlie on January 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I will guess everyone will hate it and it will take Water World’s spot.

trs on January 18, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Who’s the freaky koala in the photo?

Sherman1864 on January 19, 2014 at 9:21 AM