The cruelest cut: Springsteen goofs on Christie over Bridgegate

posted at 11:21 am on January 15, 2014 by Allahpundit

He can live with losing the presidency. Given the startling extent of his Springsteen fandom, I’m not sure he can live with this. As a Twitter buddy said, it’s like One Direction serenading a tween by name about how ugly she is. The song’s not that cutting — except for the line about killing the working man — but the fact that Bruce would make time to join in an easy goof like this makes me wonder if he wasn’t looking for a way to inch away from Christie after all the media blather about their new friendship after Sandy. That was destined to happen anyway if he won the nomination; maybe it’s better that the big break-up song be sung now than in summer 2016. That would be like One Direction singing the “you’re ugly” song to a squealing fan on her birthday.

Meanwhile, in actual news, the mystery deepens: Who or what was the real target in those bridge lane closings?

The explanation — that it was a move to punish a Democratic mayor who had refused to endorse Christie’s reelection bid — is being met with skepticism, both in the halls of the state capitol in Trenton and in Fort Lee, where the tie-up occurred for several days in September…

Councilman Joseph L. Cervieri Jr. said the mayor discussed the possibility of endorsing Christie late last spring or in the early summer and quickly dismissed it.

“The whole conversation was maybe a two-minute conversation,” Cervieri said. That such a minor slight could trigger such a major retaliation months later, as the governor was heading for a landslide victory, is “a possibility — but what is the probability?”

Nor would that be in keeping with the kind of immediate, targeted retribution exacted of another Democratic mayor, Steven Fulop of Jersey City, who said his relations with the Christie administration were abruptly cut off after he declined to endorse the governor in July. That same day, Christie’s aides canceled Fulop’s meetings with administration officials regarding recovery efforts from Hurricane Sandy.

Christie had more reason than most pols do to crave endorsements from the other party, but if you’re going to punch Fort Lee’s Democratic mayor for holding out, why wait? Why not order the bridge lane closings ASAP to make sure the message you’re sending is received? On the other hand, if there’s some innocent explanation for the bridge closings unrelated to political retaliation, why didn’t Christie make that case himself instead of canning Bridget Kelly before she had a chance to explain? He seems convinced that “time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee” was, and could only be, sinister. Probably true. But why behave sinisterly when you’re 20 points up in your reelection bid? The risk of blowing a sure win in November is so much greater at that point than the meager reward of punishing Fort Lee’s mayor for refusing to endorse Christie that it seems irrational even for a bunch of score-settling staffers on a power trip.

Oh well. Per Quinnipiac, Christie’s job approval stands at 55/38. That’s bit lower than what Monmouth found over roughly the same period (59/32) but hardly evidence of crumbling public favor. He was destined to dip anyway once the honeymoon period after his reelection faded. It took Obama until late March of last year to fully lose his post-election glow; maybe all Bridgegate will amount to is Christie losing his a bit faster. Exit question: Jimmy Fallon does a better Springsteen than Springsteen, doesn’t he?

Comments

GOOD GAWD,..WTH!

canopfor on January 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Hopefully this will teach him that you cannot trust the left.

thebrokenrattle on January 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I’m not sure he can live with this
==================================

Musical Bridge Mockery!!!

canopfor on January 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM

No. Fallon has actual talent.

BKeyser on January 15, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Well, that was…horrible.

Dongemaharu on January 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I bet Christie cried.

Cindy Munford on January 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I’m well past the ‘could not care less about this’ stage now, but I do wonder what the over/under is on how many months Fallon will have the Tonight Show before they’re begging Leno back. Six months?

changer1701 on January 15, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Christie’s man-love-o-meter just went limp.

Paul-Cincy on January 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

How sad. So, who’s gonna take Christie to the prom now?

Pork-Chop on January 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I was introduced to Springsteen by a New Yorker in the early 70s. I bought several albums and went to every show he did in Houston well into the 80s. Now he’s a putz to me. So’s Christie.

DanMan on January 15, 2014 at 11:36 AM

“Time for some sound problems on Springsteen’s next tour.”
/Christie staff

Bitter Clinger on January 15, 2014 at 11:36 AM

It’s always good to get a multi-millionaire’s take on the plight of the working man.

RSbrewer on January 15, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Springsteen is as big a man as Johnny Fontane was. And his horses still have their heads!

cbenoistd on January 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Because revenge is a dish best served cold … and Chrispy had mistakenly eaten the revenge dish the first 27 times it was about to be served earlier, anyway.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 15, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Kind of remember Springsteen doing continuous “Obama Aid” concerts right before the election, and despite this, after Sandy and just a few days before the election, Christie was all agag with praise for Obama and his “favorite rocker” Springsteen. In additon Springsteen’s music has always been horrible, with an obvious leftist twang to it. Christie and Springsteen are repulsive.

anotherJoe on January 15, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Good object lesson: you have no friends on the Left. Hear that RINOs? They’ll cut you and watch you bleed when it suits them.

rrpjr on January 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM

…the stupid shit couldn’t use the IRS…so what’s the big deal?

KOOLAID2 on January 15, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Well that does it!

I’ll have to burn my “Born in the USA” album!!

ToddPA on January 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Springsteen? Who gives a flying F’k? Has Jenny Garofalo weighed in yet?

Walter L. Newton on January 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM

“Time for some sound problems on Springsteen’s next tour.”
/Christie staff

LIKE!

congma on January 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Born in NJ in ’60. Lived there until ’85. Even in high school Stinksteen’s appeal was always lost on me. I thought he sucked even when I didn’t care about politics. I hope Christie has learned that beating up your friends to impress your enemies will not turn your enemies into friends but it will turn your friends into enemies.

Doug Piranha on January 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM

No fan of Christie, but I gotta say Springsteen sucks ass. Always has, always will.

M240H on January 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM

One step forward, two steps back.

portlandon on January 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Springsteen gets the Award for having the Worst looking
Wife in the History of Rock stars..

ToddPA on January 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Ah, Bruce. The tireless voice of the working man!

Never mind that he’s never held a job in his life other than rock musician.

Multiple mansions across the country, a daughter in high-end equestrian sports.

What a fraud.

tsj017 on January 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I’ve no doubt this is the worst moment for Christie so far. He must be dying inside. The only way it could have been worse would have been if Springsteen had made a fat joke about him, too.

Kensington on January 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Worst looking wife?

Yoko Ono says hello.

tsj017 on January 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Springsteen? Who gives a flying F’k? Has Jenny Garofalo weighed in yet?

Walter L. Newton on January 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM

She said it’s racism.

Kensington on January 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Why attack Springsteen’s wife? That’s not cool.

Kensington on January 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Bruce Springsteen sings? I thought he was an organic farmer?

mudskipper on January 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Indeed. No matter the target, if there were some legitimate reason for those lane closures it would have come to light by now. Emergency repairs, for example.

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM

….Springsteen reportedly consulted the PA Amish
when he wrote the song “I’m Goin Down” on Born in the USA.

Listen to it…”I’m goin Doun, Doun, Doun, Jakey!”

ToddPA on January 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I suppose Jack the Rabbit, Weak Knee Willie, Sloppy Sue and Big Bone Billy will be turning on Christie next…

Kensington on January 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I’m no Christie fan, but this stuff is just dumb. Of all the things there are to worry about, seriously, this? Leftists seriously have nothing.

WhatSlushfund on January 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Worst looking wife?

Yoko Ono says hello.

tsj017 on January 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Good point.

Speaking of the E Street band, wasn’t Sambora
married to Heather Locklear at one point?

ToddPA on January 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Kensington on January 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Yeah, time for the fat man to go yell at somebody to make himself feel better.

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Interesting- Springsteen is kvetching about how Christie is killing the working man.

How in hades does that multi-millionaire “gentleman farmer” know a damn thing about the “working man”?

Oh, that’s right, he doesn’t- That moaning pinhead (hitless in the 2000′s) needs to go back to counting the gov’t cash he steals for not farming his vast landholdings.

Jackass.

GrassMudHorsey on January 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM

This is a high potentital skit, but I think it fell flat…or at least didn’t liveup to the poential.

Deafdog on January 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Yeah, time for the fat man to go yell at somebody to make himself feel better.

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I feel sorry for his lapband. That thing’s not going to know what hit it.

Kensington on January 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM

…also- there didn’t seem to be any coverage of lines Springsteen sang about Hillary/Ohblahblah “killing our boys in faraway lands”, in reference to Benghazi.

Yeah, way to “bring the truth” there, you Asbury park arsewipe.

GrassMudHorsey on January 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Christie is probably going to be more upset about being mocked by Bruce Springsteen than the rest of his world closing in around him.

Admission: I am so old that I am one of the 10% that can still remember the last time Springsteen actually had a hit.

bw222 on January 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I thought that was kind of clever.

See governor, he was just pretending to be your friend to get Obama re elected. You could have stayed here with us and we would have fought for you but you wanted to sit with the cool kids. Now your stuck standing in the middle of the room with your lunch tray and no friends to sit with.

magicbeans on January 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM

The number of those who find him to be a “bully” dropped, go figure…

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Hopefully this will teach him that you cannot trust the left.

Sure. Because, every day, men of the left decide they can’t trust.. the left.

Wait — what were we talking about?

Dirty Creature on January 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Meanwhile

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM

It’s hard to consider anything coming out of Springsteen’s mouth as a “song”. He screeches, doesn’t sing. Has a voice range less than an one octave and gives Neil Young a run for the money as worst singing voice ever. Springsteen has always been about branding. Can’t sing worth a lick.

fogw on January 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM

fogw on January 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM

The guy is a douche, but his songs are still fun to sing, and his limited range makes it easier to do so.

Kensington on January 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM

As a teen I wore the needle out on that ‘Born to Run’ album (Tip for the kids: Go ask Grandpa what the hell a needle is.) After that, ‘The Boss’ quickly adopted the usual, “I’m famous, therefore my opinion matters,” mind-set and has been sprouting gibberish ever since.

CaptFlood on January 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Kensington on January 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Bingo.

My all time favorite Springsteen song: PINK CADILLAC.

ToddPA on January 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM

He’s a douche who’s songs sound like a cat that just got its tail stepped on.

fogw on January 15, 2014 at 12:43 PM

And he won’t sing one sing against Obama… Oooh he’s such a rebel!

Skywise on January 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I always liked the segue from The Incident on 57th Street to Rosalita. Circa 1973 I think. 40 years ago. oh my!

DanMan on January 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM

If I ever wanted to end it all, I would simply put on Born to Run or Born in the USA and GLADLY pull the trigger. I would rather be water boarded while covered in fire ants than listen to Springsteen’s wretched “music”. And for those of you who think his songs are fun or catchy, no offense but something is seriously wrong with you.

Erich66 on January 15, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I LOL’ed when I saw this, and I’ll bet Christie did too. The song is funny and a gentle ribbing. Any day you have The Boss singing about you is a good day!

BTW, Springsteen is a multi-millionaire and has not done jack squat to help the working man in New Jersey. The ONLY charity he does anything for is the exclusive private school where he sent his kids.

rockmom on January 15, 2014 at 12:58 PM

DanMan on January 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Yup. The whole side of that album is pretty beautiful, and Rosalita is a raucous joy.

Obligatory reinforcement that I know he’s a douche. Really, I do. :)

Kensington on January 15, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I wonder if Springsteen is sure his buddy, Barack Obama was “Born in the USA>”

bw222 on January 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM

If you go back and listen to his press conference, he fired her for lying to him. He gave everyone a chance to disclose any involvement and she failed to disclose her involvement. She was fired for not being honest with her boss, not for political retribution. The other guy was distanced because he showed unacceptable insensitivity. Again, not for political retribution, but for telling insensitive jokes. No one was disciplined for the actual traffic study, which I still believe had some legitimacy to it. Once the scandal is permanently etched in the public’s perception, then the truth about the traffic study can be told, until then we have been instructed to assume the most malicious of motives and everyone seems happy to go along.

tommylotto on January 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Christie’s newest idol, Bryan Adams (cuts like a knife).

DDay on January 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Springsteen can sing…but his range isn’t what one would call “wide scope”.

And the whole “working man” meme? Frankly, I think Billy Joel more than Bruce Springsteen in terms of “working class singer”.

BlaxPac on January 15, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Does someone have a link to that song Fallon did when Obama punished the entire country in every way he could conceive during the shut-down, including placing tourists under house arrest in national parks? Can’t find it anywhere.

TexasDan on January 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Outside of New Jersey, does anyone take Springstein seriously anymore or care what he says?

Now if CLARENCE had said something, then MAYBE…but Sprinstein? Forgetaboutit…..

easyt65 on January 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I detest Springsteen. His working class hero schtick is just sad.

claudius on January 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM

DanMan on January 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Now you’re talking Dan. Second side of his second album was his best work. His first four albums were the best work he would ever do. Since the early 80′s Springsteen became the lapdog for the left that Dylan refused to be and profited handsomely by it. But the music went down hill. Repetitive , politically naive, and boring.

Still waiting for your protest songs about Syria, Benghazi, and Gitmo Bruce. When you are not on the horse show circuit or flying in your private jet.

DeweyWins on January 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Man, he’s really let himself go since his prime of General Hospital and Jessie’s Girl. Still can’t play a decent solo, either. Apparently, We Don’t Take Care Of Our Own.

Christien on January 15, 2014 at 5:05 PM

My all time favorite Springsteen song: PINK CADILLAC.

ToddPA on January 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Bah. I wouldn’t touch anything past Darkness.

Axeman on January 15, 2014 at 5:56 PM

DanMan on January 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM

DeweyWins on January 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM

True. Come on, folks — I despise Springsteen’s politics and “poor old working man” posing, but those first 4 albums of his are some of the greatest in the history of rock music, especially (in my opinion) Darkness on the Edge of Town. I would agree he hasn’t done much that’s worth squat since then. However I’ve always liked “My City of Ruins”.

Kensington on January 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Yeah, but then I can’t think of many rock singers that had any sort of tremendous “range”. Maybe Roy Orbison when he hit those soprano notes?

ddrintn on January 15, 2014 at 6:29 PM