Stop me if you heard this one. Three guys try to rob an old man who has a .357…

posted at 8:01 am on January 15, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Today’s story comes to us from up near my neck of the woods, over the border in New Milford Township, Pennsylvania. A retired homeowner in the rural district, 69 year old David Braman, was home alone when heard a knock at the door. It turned out to be someone claiming to have run into some car trouble and needing assistance, but living in that neck of the (literal) woods, Mr. Braman took some precautions when answering the door. We join our story in progress.

State police said three suspects arrived at the home of David Braman, 69. The suspects, Francois Muchanic, 31, of Susquehanna, Dylan Brewer 20, of New Milford and Evan Hess, 20, of Forest City were driven to the residence by Muchanic’s girlfriend, Erica Major, 30, of Susquehanna.

Muchanic knocked on Braman’s door wearing a ski mask. The victim opened his door carrying a loaded 357 Smith and Wesson revolver. Muchanic told Braman he was having car problems and needed to use his phone, according to state police.

Trooper Mark Mulvey said Braman tried to close the door when he realized Muchanic was wearing a ski mask. State police said Muchanic then forced his way into the home and began assaulting Braman and knocking him to the ground.

Braman fired three shots at Muchanic and hit him once in the groin.

Sorry to emphasis that last bit, but it’s really one of the good parts of the story. Oh, and providing the proof of an old axiom which is clearly true, there is no honor among thieves.

Troopers say Muchanic fled the home, falling to the ground. The two other men, Brewer and Hess left Muchanic at the scene.

The girlfriend picked up Muchanic to whisk him away from the scene of the very badly failed crime, but quickly had to call for medical help for her man. She tried making up a story about how he had pulled over to help a motorist in distress, but the police weren’t buying it. All three of them, plus the girlfriend, are in custody. We tried getting a statement from the police today without success, but local reports indicate that there are no charges being considered against Mr. Braman. (This is clearly different than what would have happened if this had taken place in New York City, where Braman would likely still be sitting in a jail cell.)

This happened in Pennsylvania, but it’s not Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. This is out in the middle of the state which is commonly known as Pennsyltucky. Mr. Braman lives out near the local campgrounds and was clearly wise to not answer the door for strangers at night without his Smith & Wesson in hand. And since I know you’re terribly worried about the welfare of the attacker…

State police say Muchanic is in critical condition.

Muchanic, Major, Brewer and Hess all face numerous charges.

That’s just a crying shame, isn’t it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I also don’t want McDonalds teaching the healthy eating class.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Disingenuous plus dishonest. Surprise, surprise. Pointed out to you that the NRA cares very much about gun safety, and you decide that doesn’t actually matter anymore because it’s the NRA. And who better to teach gun safety then an organization founded on the idea of proficient use of firearms?

Perhaps you should ponder for a moment just how idiotic you are. Maybe you don’t want McDonalds to teach you about healthy food choices, but perhaps they could teach you how to teach you how to make a good fry, or run a very successful business? Or are they automatically disqualified because, shut up?

NotCoach on January 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Heah verb, when are you are going to answer the questions.

jerryofva on January 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I just got in from a conference.

rogerb on January 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Come on NotBillBelicheck, you gotta start thinking like verbaloon.

“Cars are necessary! Guns are made for one thing – killing!”

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Stupid me.

NotCoach on January 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM

In 2012, O’bama got 82% of Pennsylvania’s high school dropout vote. That’s the highest percentage of any state.

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM

In defense of PA, if I recall there were multiple districts in Philadelphia that locked out the poll watchers and had 100% turnout, with 100% for Obama.

Take out voter fraud, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and the rest of the state didn’t vote for Obama.

talkingpoints on January 15, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Stupid me.

NotCoach on January 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM

No, not at all. You have to fight fire with fire “People will ALWAYS try to kill! Why are YOU trying to deny me my option to stop someone from killing me??? I mean, if one of us is going to die anyway, why not the bad guy?!? What difference at that point, does it make??!!??”

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM

talkingpoints on January 15, 2014 at 5:44 PM

We had several here in Florida too. 106% turnout. Surprise, surprise, always in a black district.

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I just got in from a conference.

rogerb on January 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM

haha!

Murphy9 on January 15, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I just got in from a conference.

rogerb on January 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Well played.

A+

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM

talkingpoints on January 15, 2014 at 5:44 PM

No such thing as voter fraud-the Low-IQ Dems here keep reminding us of that!

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Is a groin shot better than a kill?

Mojave Mark on January 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Is a groin shot better than a kill?

Mojave Mark on January 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Depends on the extent of the damage I’d say.

Spliff Menendez on January 15, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Pablo Honey on January 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Bad guys and idiots also have guns. What’s your point? If anything, I’d argue that it’s more reason for there to be more “good guys with a gun” around.

Jazz Shaw on January 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Stop me if you’ve heard this one, or this one, or this one, or this one, or this one, or this one, or this one….

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 9:46 AM

From your links:

Sergio Rivera, 38, who was not permitted to own a gun…

Wilson-Hurd was arrested last summer in connection with the PT Cole Park shooting…

…because he was intoxicated.

…she intended to “do harm”…

Try harder, verbaluce.

rogerb on January 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Do you oppose responsible use and handling of firearms…

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM

This is where having anything better than bullet-pointed OFA knowledge of a topic would help in realizing what you’d googled. You didn’t even read your links past the “accidental shooting!” headline results, did you verbaluce?

It’s okay. LFOD doesn’t, either. Nature of the breed, apparently.

So, even after realizing what happened and hoping we’ll all just skip over your examples of the two fellows who apparently weren’t legally allowed to have guns or the careless, careless disregard for basic gun safety of the murderous mother you linked, you still manage to bring up an extremely good point

resulted in Kelley leaving the home. When he returned, Lanza refused to allow him back in to the home because he was intoxicated.

Do you oppose responsible use and handling of firearms…

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Your position is that a drunk should be careful while driving (illegally) with a blood alcohol content above the limit, right?

Yes or no, verbaluce?

If you’re consistent in your beliefs, it has to be yes.

rogerb on January 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM

For posters asking why we don’t post “more gun stories” I want to thank you for the feedback. I do try to do them when I see them, but I’m sure there are more. If you see some good ones that I miss from your local news in particular (which the national outlets would miss) please feel free to send them to our tip line and tag them “Jazz, write about this gun story, dummy!” and I’ll do my best to get to them.

Jazz Shaw on January 15, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Hey, how about an update on the NC cop who only has time for executing 90-pound people who are being held down by two other cops?

BobMbx on January 15, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I highly recommend to both contributors and readers the gun blog “The Truth About Guns.” They have a category called DGU of the Day as well as Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day. Many of the latter are police officers. It is also a good source of self defense education, gun and gun related product reviews. It might be worth a link.

jerryofva on January 15, 2014 at 6:29 PM

In the United States, an average of 6 children 0-14 years old were killed and 694 were injured every day in motor vehicle crashes during 2003.

Every.

Day.

It seems like protesting lax enforcement of following-too-closely traffic laws would be much more productive.

Perhaps there is some other motivation involved…

rogerb on January 15, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I’m late for a conference, but I’ll check back in later.

rogerb on January 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Jerryofva,

Here’s another site worth linking.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Poor, poor verbaldouche.

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 7:03 PM

You mean…’if you see a gun don’t pick it up’?
verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Because that’s the entirety of your “safety training”?!? “OMG, it’s dangerous, so run away and get an adult”?
GWB on January 15, 2014 at 4:49 PM

GWB (and Lanceman),
I was referencing and mimicking the Eddie Eagle program, so you’re mocking the NRA here.
You both should take 5 mins and check it out.
You wouldn’t want me clearly having a better sense of NRA programs than you do, right?

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM

It’s like, you’ve convinced yourself that we don’t know how to go back and read your drivel, or that we forget about it quickly.

How old are you?

Akzed on January 15, 2014 at 7:13 PM

“Cars are necessary! Guns are made for one thing – killing!”

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Well, you just convinced me. I now have a very different opinion about guns thanks to that piece of logic.
Obviously guns are a TERRIBLE invention. Think about it – guns are made for killing, and yet they still can’t even kill as many people per year as cars do, and they kill fewer kids than swimming pools and bathtubs.
It’s clear to me now that guns are just not very good tools for the purpose they were actually designed to perform.

dentarthurdent on January 15, 2014 at 7:14 PM

GWB (and Lanceman),
You both should take 5 mins and check it out.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM

No – you were insulting the Eddie the Eagle program and claiming the NRA cannot be trusted for gun safety programs.
Now you’re just lying about what you said – which everyone can see clearly in the thread.

And – we all have a better sense of NRA programs than you do – in fact my kids do as well.

dentarthurdent on January 15, 2014 at 7:17 PM

dentarthurdent on January 15, 2014

Nice spin.
I didn’t misquote or misread GWB.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I didn’t misquote or misread GWB.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Ya you did – because you don’t have a clue what is actually taught in the NRA safety programs. They were being sarcastic that you, as with most libtards, think the “if you see a gun, don’t pick it up” is all there is to the program.
What they were pointing out is your total lack of knowledge about what the gun safety programs really have in them.
You don’t know anything beyond your OFA talking points – and you’ve demonstrated that very well today.

dentarthurdent on January 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM

GWB (and Lanceman),
You both should take 5 mins and check it out.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM

No, we’re making fun of your typical foolishness. Eddie Eagle is a hands on approach. With real guns, no less. Kids actually touch them and learn the safe way to handle them.

One thing I know, when I was a youngster, you told me not to touch a gun and I spot one sometime later, I’ll LOOK around for adults who might catch me and THEN touch it. But even at age 5 I knew what death was and I knew what guns could do. I never put my finger on the trigger. For fear of doing something that would get my ass beat.

I also knew what my dad’s power drill and propane torch could do and he could tell me not to touch them til the cows came home. Lock ‘em up, or I’m touching.

The power saw was a different story. It made far too much noise.

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 7:44 PM

dentarthurdent on January 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Are you being intentionally dishonest?
Maybe you just didn’t read or follow the comment.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 7:44 PM

You think the Program involved bringing guns into a school and passing them around?

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM

It did before your type got control of schools. And it (the program) doesn’t take place in just schools.

Wasn’t that long ago, before you slimy liberals got complete control, that we all carried guns in our vehicles, carried knives on our belts, fought it out with fists while the shop teacher ‘supervised’ (yes, we got suspended afterwards) and had a *GASP!* smoking area, for Christ’s sake.

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 7:58 PM

And not one of us ever thought of using a gun on somebody else. No matter how pissed we were.

And yes, we brought handguns in for certain classes (with school permission) for teaching purposes.

Oh, and we also had the ol’ Board of Education for less severe infractions. The 1980s were not that long ago.

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 7:58

Were you a greaser or a rocker?
All sounds really rugged.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Were you a greaser or a rocker?
All sounds really rugged.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM

In a small town in Arkansas, we actually had ‘education’. Not this self-esteem crap. History and civics class actually taught, can you believe it? History and civics!

I’ll bet there’s not a person here who can name Sick Willie’s first Lieutenant Governor.

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I could…with Wikipedia.
Good to know your local history.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Verbie:

You are like all gun grabbers. You only know the talking points. When someone asks a question outside the domain of the talking points you are silent.

Once again I ask why do the US and the UK have the suicide rates? Do you think that without gun control the UK would have a suicide rate equal to Japan?

Explain to me what you mean by large numbers of accidental shooting. Point me to a CDC reference that places accidental shootings at the top of accidental deaths and injuries.

Again I am not expecting an answer from someone who only speaks in Shannon Watts talking points.

jerryofva on January 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Repost from earlier:

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Why aren’t you clamoring for Americans to get more discipline in their private lives, instead of clamoring to get the guns OUT of their private lives ?

listens2glenn on January 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM

listens2glenn on January 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM

In trying to find out what exactly a verbaluce was, I was suddenly reminded of narutoboy.

‘Member him?

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 9:13 PM

I believe I remember that name from way back when I was just a reader of Hotair, before I enrolled as commenter.
But I don’t remember the characteristics of narutoboy, like you apparently do.

listens2glenn on January 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I wasn’t necessarily asking you, l2g. But he was, entertaining.

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Are you being intentionally dishonest?
Maybe you just didn’t read or follow the comment.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM

LMAO! Asks the douchenozzle that is competing for the dishonest poster of the century at HA.

NotCoach on January 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM

You don’t and you couldn’t.
You and your type are philosophically incapable of dealing with the subjects of guns and gun safety in a logical, sane manner.

And, yes, you’re still an idiot.

And a moron.

And a liar.

Solaratov on January 15, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Are you being intentionally dishonest?
Maybe you just didn’t read or follow the comment.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM

No – YOU are being dishonest. Everything you’ve posted on this thread has been dishonest – and clueless.

dentarthurdent on January 15, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Guns are made for exactly one thing: MURDERIN’
And shooting criminals in the junk. But only when necessary.
And when the opportunity presents.
And Nazis.

Kenosha Kid on January 15, 2014 at 11:44 PM

And for putting meat on the table. With a State issued license.
Also plinkin’ at tin cans, but .22 only.
And bigger.

Kenosha Kid on January 15, 2014 at 11:46 PM

And making noise to scare away crows. Sometimes they just don’t listen.

Kenosha Kid on January 15, 2014 at 11:47 PM

And for getting your daughters out of the NGO compound in Kenya while the streets run with blood from inter-tribal warfare. That was some hero stuff right there.

Kenosha Kid on January 15, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Also good for collecting. Better than stamps. OK that is subjective.

Kenosha Kid on January 15, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Shootin’ rats at the dump. There should be bounty. Ten cents each. No limit.
Must use lead free ammo, costs a dollar a round. Save the planet. Thanks.
Yeah right.

Kenosha Kid on January 15, 2014 at 11:57 PM

And… useful as an improvised bong.

Kenosha Kid on January 16, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Do you oppose responsible use and handling of firearms…

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Yes or no, verbaluce?

If you’re consistent in your beliefs, it has to be yes.

rogerb on January 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I guess there was a conference.

rogerb on January 16, 2014 at 6:33 AM

I also don’t want McDonalds teaching the healthy eating class.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Ok, so who or what do you want teaching gun safety in our schools? No one? Sarah Brady?

Akzed on January 15, 2014 at 4:36 PM

You mean…’if you see a gun don’t pick it up’?
Teachers and parents.
Also, police visited the kids and covered that topic pretty well.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM

And again we’re helpfully shown how a teensy bit of actual knowledge on these topics would help a lot.

Since 1996, the Charlestown Police Department has instructed the NRA’s “Eddie Eagle Gun Safe™” program to all Charlestown preschool, kindergarten, and first grade school children.

Little Elm Police Department uses the simplicity of the format, along with the material provided through the NRA, to teach short classes to interested parties on as “as requested” basis.

The Show Low Police Department now offers the Eddie Eagle GunSafe® Program to children in preschool through third grades.

The Tusculum Police Department is proud to partner with Doak Elementary School and the NRA to provide the Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program to the students.

The New Caney ISD Police Department has participated in the Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program in our elementary schools since 2001.

Hilliard Division of Police officers present this program. The National Rifle Association provides the material and lesson plans for our community.

Eddie Eagle is the department’s newest asset in gun safety and prevention. He’s a more than 6-foot tall, beaked beacon trying to teach kids how to properly react in a situation when a gun is found. …Gathered in a cluster on the ground, Patrolman Tom Webber started his presentation

You are here: Home > Departments > Police Department > Divisions > Special Operations > Crime Prevention > Eddie Eagle Program

The Eddie Eagle GunSafe® Program teaches children in pre-kindergarten through third grade four important steps to take if they find a gun.

Bel Aire Police Department

Community Policing

Eddie Eagle Gun Safety®

The Eddie Eagle GunSafe program teaches children four important steps to take if they find a gun.

The Statham Police Department is proud to now offer The Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program

Way to stay informed, verbaluce.

rogerb on January 16, 2014 at 6:47 AM

Let’s not forget when liberals talk about guns killing people that their favorite doctors have killed 55 million thus far since Roe v Wade. Must we seek to register their “instruments of death” or not?
The vile hypocrisy–as if they give one hoot about hurting people with guns. They only seek to disarm America for their total control, which is why our much smarter forefathers built in that 2cd amendment, knowing the world was full of evil power addicts who would stop at nothing–including pitiful faux pretense of caring -to disarm us.

Don L on January 16, 2014 at 7:32 AM

I guess there was a conference.

rogerb on January 16, 2014 at 6:33 AM

Yeah, the OWS Drum Circle Guild Local #420 called an emergency practice session. Verbie is working hard to get third chair.

HumpBot Salvation on January 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM

One’s gun is much much more likely to end up up shooting a family member or friend than it is to to shoot a ski mask wearing burglar in the groin.
Maybe you (and the NRA) should push the above stories more – so that folks are smarter and safer, and not fantasizing they’ll have some John Wayne moment someday.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Happiness really is a 1911A1. There is absolutely nothing you can say that will change my mind.

BillH on January 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM

What small town in Arkansas? I gradurated out of Eureka Springs in ’77.

BillH on January 16, 2014 at 5:58 PM

HumpBot Salvation on January 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM

What do you mean third? I always thought of Verbie as uh… #2.

Laura in Maryland on January 16, 2014 at 6:09 PM

BillH on January 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Maybe that’s why I’m not completely happy yet – I need a 1911.

That really is the next gun I want to buy – undecided on which manufacturer though – leaning toward either Kimber, Colt, or S&W.

dentarthurdent on January 16, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Consider Ruger too, dentarthurdent. American made, great price (~$640 new), and, more importantly, it works.

rogerb on January 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM

It’s always comical to see almost the exact moment someone realizes his floaties don’t work in the deep water.

Not at a conference:

rogerb on January 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Is your point here that there accidental/unintentional harm doesn’t happen? Or that it’s ok because ‘maybe they were drunk’?…

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Suddenly at a conference:

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Yes or no, verbaluce?

If you’re consistent in your beliefs, it has to be yes.

rogerb on January 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM

And obviously a two-day conference:

I also don’t want McDonalds teaching the healthy eating class.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Also, police visited the kids and covered that topic pretty well.

verbaluce on January 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Since 1996, the Charlestown Police Department…

Little Elm Police Department uses…

The Show Low Police Department now offers the Eddie Eagle…

The New Caney ISD Police Department has participated in the Eddie Eagle…

Hilliard Division of Police officers present this program…

Eddie Eagle is the department’s newest asset… Patrolman Tom Webber started his presentation

You are here: Home > Departments > Police Department…The Eddie Eagle GunSafe® Program teaches children…

Bel Aire Police Department Community Policing Eddie Eagle Gun Safety®

The Statham Police Department is proud to now offer The Eddie Eagle…

Way to stay informed, verbaluce.

rogerb on January 16, 2014 at 6:47 AM

Imagine realizing your own local police officers taught an NRA course to your child IN YOUR LOCAL SCHOOL!!1! Worse, they did it without your permission!

Do you protest?

Do you demand your children be excused from learning about gun safety?

Do you demand gun safety no longer be taught by police?

Those are all things to consider on the drive to the conference, I suppose.

rogerb on January 16, 2014 at 8:02 PM

What small town in Arkansas? I gradurated out of Eureka Springs in ’77.

BillH on January 16, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Mountain Home.

I’ve seen Christ of the Ozarks.

Lanceman on January 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM

A muchanic should never have car trouble.

Boom tish.