Lone Survivor Marcus Luttrell: “There’s nothing glorious about war”

posted at 8:01 pm on January 15, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

I went and saw the newly-released Lone Survivor last weekend, and using Ed’s rating scale, I’d give the film an unequivocal 5 (totally worth the full-price theater ticket) — it was intense, it was sincere, and most of all, it was a profound and touching tribute to a group of brothers-at-arms who made the ultimate sacrifice after a mission went terribly wrong in the mountains of Afghanistan. The reviews have been mostly positive, but all too predictably (sadly), the appallingly banal criticisms of the film as little more than a “jingoistic,” racist, dehumanizing piece of “war propaganda” have also reared their very ugly heads — not that former Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell is paying them any mind. “I don’t really have any thoughts on it at all, to tell you the truth. Someone told me something about ‘pro-war,’ and I sat and thought about it for awhile, and I didn’t even know if that’s — is that a real term? Because, there’s nothing glorious about war. There’s nothing glorious about holding your friends in your arms and watching them die. … The bottom line is, there’s bad people everywhere.”

Comments

I love ya’ hon’, but:

brothers-at-arms

Can ya’ fix that?

cozmo on January 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM

God bless you, sir

rbj on January 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

It’s why I don’t put a whole lot of stock in reviews. The reviewer’s bias always comes through. The WaPo absolutely panned The Book Thief. It wasn’t nearly as bad as the review.

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Instead of all the “pundits,” they should be putting our brave men and women on air and let them tell their stories.

I read the book. Kudos to Marcus for making sure his friends are remembered.

CoffeeLover on January 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Amazing movie..Did Ed Review it before? Don’t remember seeing it here

The ending wasn’t accurate but for the most part it was right on the money with the book..Mainly I’d say because of Marcus being an adviser on the movie..

Those lefties who reviewed the movie clearly hate the military and show it with their vicious words against the movie

sadsushi on January 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Two reprobates killed this man’s recuperation dog out of spite?

Good grief, this country is full of sick people.

Murphy9 on January 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Murphy9 on January 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM

when I heard that about his dog, my heart broke as I know his did. Deplorable just like the libs trying to say this movie is about promoting war. good grief.

CoffeeLover on January 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I read the book. Kudos to Marcus for making sure his friends are remembered.

CoffeeLover on January 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I’m not sure America is ready for that kind of honesty. The television series Bomb Patrol: Afghanistan really irritated me. Mainly because of what the troops were expected to do even as their CINC is a worthless coward who had decided to cut and run even before the fake greek columns and “office of the President Elect” sign was erected.

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM

God bless you Warrior……lefties don’t get it….Ask a leftie if they ever considered that they wage war on the most innocent in the womb…..the left has killed more via abortion than all of our wars combined……….hypocrites

crosshugger on January 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM

But…but…

What about The Duck Dynasty guy…????

He might be fired….

I saw it here on HA on a splash screen…

Over…
And..
Over..
And…..

Electrongod on January 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM

It has it moments.

But Mrs Hawkdriver (NHRN) and I saw you movie and we both needed hankies. Salutes to you and the men who were lost.

hawkdriver on January 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I’m sure you are right HN. The ROE and this president….makes me shudder in anger over their handling our military in particular.

CoffeeLover on January 15, 2014 at 8:26 PM

The man is down to earth and about as genuine as they come.

hawkdriver on January 15, 2014 at 8:29 PM

two reprobates killed this man’s recuperation dog out of spite? Good grief, this country is full of sick people. Murphy9 on January 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Yea,, but he caught their azzes.

wolly4321 on January 15, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Yes, it’s a real term and McCain, Graham, Brooks, etc (the list is very long)are all examples.

Because, there’s nothing glorious about war.

Yes indeed, it’s glory is all moonshine, but McCain, Graham, Brooks, etc (the list is very long) ain’t William Tecumseh Sherman.

VorDaj on January 15, 2014 at 8:34 PM

wolly4321 on January 15, 2014 at 8:30 PM

that he did.

“Luttrell has received some measure of closure, as two of the perpetrators who shot and killed his beloved companion have been sentenced to prison time…The charges carry a maximum sentence of up to two years in a state facility and a $10,000 fine.” Story was on The Blaze in 2011

CoffeeLover on January 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM

VorDaj on January 15, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Dude. He’s a great guy. Just this once. How about a “salute” for him and his team. Once this once.

hawkdriver on January 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I seem to remember a documentary I watched a while back where a Taliban fighter with an AK47 walked up behind a woman in a burka and shot her in the back of the head because of some slight transgression of Islam. Portray the bastages like they really are. Not some leftist crap “Islam is the religion of peace” bull garbage.

lfwest on January 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM

“government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”

Honest Abe…

“Now lets go kill us some southerners that want to govern themselves”

roflmmfao

donabernathy on January 15, 2014 at 8:39 PM

The bottom line is, there’s bad people everywhere.”

…and some of them…live here!

KOOLAID2 on January 15, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Hell, I still remember seeing “Blackhawk Down”, and a little group of leftist geeks standing in front of the theater passing out pamphlets reminding everyone that the U.S. Army killed a thousand Somalis during the battle.

I wonder if that punk ever got his ribs fixed.

Bishop on January 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

What outrages the Left about this movie is that debunks every trope about soldiers it has been peddling since Vietnam (even as it sickeningly and patronizingly pretends to care about “the troops”). Perhaps most appalling — the movie existentially respects soldiers. We can’t have that. The soldiers in this film are not brutes, indoctrinated drones, emotionally damaged victims or loose canons. They are morally whole and thoughtful individuals acting with resolve and courage in a desperate conflict against a violent and vicious enemy. This is too much for the Left to take. It threatens their entire bundle of Narratives.

rrpjr on January 15, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I wonder if that punk ever got his ribs fixed.

Bishop on January 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Golly I sure hope so!

I “accidentally” tripped and somehow my 12E steel toe boots landed on his ribs and nads…

I know i missed the latter, so they lucked out…

:o)

BlaxPac on January 15, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Great blog post Erika..It is an excellent movie..:)

Dire Straits on January 15, 2014 at 8:57 PM

donabernathy on January 15, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Enslave human beings.

ThePrez on January 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM

The man is down to earth and about as genuine as they come.

hawkdriver on January 15, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I agree..He is a great American Patriot..As are all folks that serve our country..:)

Dire Straits on January 15, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Am I to understand that Luttrell has been portrayed by the sniveling little punk-ass gangster wannabe sissy actor Mark Wahlberg? Is that what I am to understand?

Jaibones on January 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM

actor Mark Wahlberg? Is that what I am to understand?

Jaibones on January 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM

In Markey Mark’s defense he does a very nice job (as do all the actors) of acting in this movie..imho..:)

Dire Straits on January 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM

There are stories that can be told of heroism under fire, some giving their lives for the others. When you see some of them with your own eyes, you know just how heroic they were. Battle hardened troops remember with tears, but mostly keep the turmoil in their souls to them selves. Battle gives one no time to think mostly just react, but some put them selves out there with out a blink of an eye. To these men we give our thanks and undying gratitude. This is just one of them. Thank you Marcus with all my heart.

jainphx on January 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Murphy9 on January 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Yea,, but he caught their azzes.

wolly4321 on January 15, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Yeah he did … with a little help from the Texas State Police.
If I’m remembering correctly, the suspects had gone on a spree, that night.
Marcus’ dog wasn’t the first one they had killed.

listens2glenn on January 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Jaibones on January 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Indeed. I think some days Marcus eats meals bigger than Wahlberg. Its hysterical. As typical with Hollywood, they mostly do a good job of not showing him in a way that makes you realize he is a tiny pipsqueak. Once in a while, though, you get a full shot of him and you have to think, “He’s like a soldier, only smaller”

deadrody on January 15, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Marcus Luttrell is an American hero.
Jake Trapper should be ashamed of himself.

Scroll down for the interview….

tencole on January 15, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Jaibones on January 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Why don’t you ask Marcus? He and some of his buddies spent a lot of time with the cast, and directors, both on and off the various movie sets.

listens2glenn on January 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Jaibones on January 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I don’t think it was good casting. The other actors had more presence and sold it. The actor who played Lt. Murphy, Taylor Kitcsh, was especially good. I don’t hate Wahlberg but this didn’t fit.

rrpjr on January 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Jaibones on January 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I used to feel that way about the Wahlberg brothers, but over time they’ve matured and I think they’re both good actors – at least they do films that I enjoy that are generally pro-America. Haven’t seen anything that puts them in the flaming libtard zone.

AH_C on January 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM

jainphx on January 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Duty. Honor. Country.

tngmv on January 15, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Yeah he did … with a little help from the Texas State Police.
If I’m remembering correctly, the suspects had gone on a spree, that night.
Marcus’ dog wasn’t the first one they had killed.

listens2glenn on January 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM

It was the last one they killed. Marcus made sure of that

Conservative4Ever on January 15, 2014 at 11:06 PM

“War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach.”

~Pindar

Christien on January 16, 2014 at 12:12 AM

The man is down to earth and about as genuine as they come.

hawkdriver on January 15, 2014 at 8:29 PM
I agree..He is a great American Patriot..As are all folks that serve or served our country..:)

Dire Straits on January 15, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Clarification..:)

Dire Straits on January 16, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Dire Straits on January 16, 2014 at 12:16 AM

First way was just as good. :-)

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 3:58 AM

P.C. ROE’s kill.

If the prisoners had been sent to Allah the mission might have succeeded.

But worry about the media reaction proved fatal.

Nearly totally.

profitsbeard on January 16, 2014 at 4:05 AM

The man is down to earth and about as genuine as they come.

hawkdriver on January 15, 2014 at 8:29 PM

And you know all about “genuine,” don’t you Hawky?

/pbbbbbbt!

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 4:32 AM

There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all Hell.

– William Tecumseh Sherman

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 4:35 AM

I read the book when it first came out and was ticked that no studio picked it up at that time. Then I was fearful that Hollywood would take it and not tell the story correctly or really mess it up in a way only Hollywood can. I am very, very pleased to be reading a number of reviews that tell me that they didn’t screw up the story.

Marcus is a true hero in the classic sense of the word.

I can’t wait to go see it.

Grantman on January 16, 2014 at 6:47 AM

The man is down to earth and about as genuine as they come.

hawkdriver on January 15, 2014 at 8:29 PM
And you know all about “genuine,” don’t you Hawky?

/pbbbbbbt!

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 4:32 AM

– William Tecumseh Sherman
gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 4:35 AM

I know more about genuine than you know about war, you liberal moby sockpuppet.

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I can’t wait to go see it.

Grantman on January 16, 2014 at 6:47 AM

Take hankies and sit in the back.

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 8:54 AM

I know more about genuine than you know about war, you liberal moby sockpuppet.

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 8:23 AM

That’s rich. Calline me a liberal moby sockpuppet even as you brag about knowing what and who is genuine. LOLOL

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 8:23 AM

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Whatever you are, you have issues. And you know it.

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Whatever you are, you have issues. And you know it.

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Damn skippy. It’s called “the people that depend on my votes stab me in the back.” As issues go right now, your low opinion of me hardly rates a speck on my radar.

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:18 AM

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM

No, it’s called creepy jumping on every one of my comments now because we had an exchange you couldn’t live down.

If I’m so low on your radar, WhyTH are you attacking an off-topic comment of mine on an entirely different thread?

You couldn’t just give a bit of praise to this great American?

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM

You couldn’t just give a bit of praise to this great American?

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM

You’re not fit to shine Marcus Lattrell’s shoes, chump.

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM
You’re not fit to shine Marcus Lattrell’s shoes, chump.

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Probably not. You are?

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:38 AM

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM
You’re not fit to shine Marcus Lattrell’s shoes, chump.

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM

And to be clear, the reason you did the creepy off-topic comment here is because you hold me in such low regard compared to him? I shouldn’t have made any comments here?

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Perfect illustration of ankle-biting.

Murphy9 on January 16, 2014 at 9:48 AM

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Let’s just say your accusations of me being a troll turned out to be somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 9:48 AM

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Oh, I’m responsible for your inability to maintain your composure? Got it.

Let’s at least be adult and move this ridiculous exchange off a thread like this.

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Oh, I’m responsible for your inability to maintain your composure? Got it.

hawkdriver on January 16, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Sure thing. Check out that link I posted in my post above this one.

gryphon202 on January 16, 2014 at 9:55 AM