Dems hoping Obama gets more humble in 2014

posted at 2:01 pm on January 15, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Democrats on Capitol Hill not only want more communication from Barack Obama, but they want him to stop resting on his laurel as well. That message comes through clearly in this report from The Hill about a recent meeting between Senate Democrats and some fresh faces at the White House. Some of them had begun to wonder whether Obama planned to do anything at all after his 2012 re-election, or just hold the record for the longest status as lame duck ever:

Frustrated Senate Democrats hope a meeting set to take place on Wednesday with President Obama will help them turn a corner with a White House they see as too distant and insular.

Aides say the new faces joining the president’s inner circle suggest a possible new humility following a year that saw Obama hammered over the botched rollout of his healthcare law, a series of administrative controversies and an aborted attempt to launch a military strike against Syria.

Obama brought in John Podesta and Katie Beirne Fallon to improve matters, but The Hill’s Amie Parne and Justin Sink notes that some Democrats think the problem starts at the top:

“He hasn’t really ever wanted to have long conversations with my boss,” the third senior Democratic Senate aide said. “It always seems like he’s watching the clock.”

And it’s not necessarily improving all that much now, either:

But some Democratic aides are skeptical and worry Obama might already be a lame duck president.

“Have they improved?” one senior Democratic aide asked. “Maybe a little. But has there been a full-court press? I don’t think so. I think they can and should do a lot better.” …

“He’s a nonentity almost,” said another aide, who argued Obama missed an opportunity to move forward with innovative proposals after his reelection victory in 2012. “For some reason, his lame-duckness started very quickly, but maybe that will change,” the aide said.

If they’re looking for “a new humility” from the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue, the messaging this week means that Democrats will be destined for disappointment.  Obama threatened to disregard Congress, even though his own party controls the upper chamber, by writing executive orders because, er … “I have a pen!”

Obama, speaking to reporters during a cabinet meeting at the White House, foreshadowed his upcoming State of the Union address and what appeared to be a new messaging strategy by emphasizing his ability to take executive actions without approval from lawmakers.

“We are not just going to be waiting for legislation in order to make sure that we’re providing Americans the kind of help that they need,” he said.

“I’ve got a pen, and I’ve got a phone. And I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions … and I’ve got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life,” he said.

Except EOs only go so far:

Obama listed immigration reform as a priority for the year. He will need Congress to turn his goals on that issue into law.

He also needs to stop campaigning and start governing — which means dealing with Congress with a little more humility than in the past. Otherwise, Obama will set a record for the longest time in lame-duck status, and he’ll lose his entire second term.

Comments

He has a pen and a phone!!!

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Good luck with that.

Meople on January 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM

And I hope I win the lottery I don’t play in 2014.

NotCoach on January 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM

He has a pen and a phone!!!

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I just pray he doesn’t have two turntables, and a microphone.

NotCoach on January 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Ha! Good luck with that!

thebrokenrattle on January 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM

BWAHAHAH uh Donks “he has his pen” baby

harlekwin15 on January 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM

This is a satire piece, right?

Ward Cleaver on January 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM

This will work…and all that.

22044 on January 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Still rooting for that Scanners moment.

Murphy9 on January 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Still rooting for that Scanners moment.

Murphy9 on January 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Michael Ironside FTW!

Ward Cleaver on January 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM

More humble?

From a narcissistic, thin-skinned, petulant, feckless, and incompetent ideologue who is overflowing with hubris?

Sorry, he won his re-election and believes he doesn’t need the sign-offs from either of the other two branches of government.

As far as BHO is concerned, neither Reid or DWS or the members of their caucus, have earned BHO’s love and support. They were insufficient in their worship of ‘The One’ – and all ‘He’ needs is his pen and his phone.

Athos on January 15, 2014 at 2:08 PM

CurtZHP on January 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Dems hoping Obama gets more humble in 2014

Heh, heh!!!!

Good luck with that dems……

Obama has his pen and phone and wants to render all politicians obsolete.

It will be King Barack you peasants…….

redguy on January 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM

He has a pen and a phone!!!

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM

And a teleprompter.

Bitter Clinger on January 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I just pray he doesn’t have two turntables, and a microphone.

NotCoach on January 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM

He would eff that job up as well. :)

arnold ziffel on January 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I’d be happy if Dear Liar spent all his time on the golf course.

But how could he be more humble? Why, his humility is among his hundreds of great qualities, he’ll tell you that himself.

rbj on January 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Five years of doing nothing on improving or providing more jobs in the nation, and he thinks it’ll all be solved with a stroke of a pen?

face palm!

Rovin on January 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM

A lying narcissist is at its most dangerous when people don’t fawn all over him. AF1 is going to be burning up the skies for at least the next 11 months.

jukin3 on January 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM

He has a pen and a phone!!!

Lanceman on January 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM

And a teleprompter.

Bitter Clinger on January 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM

But, most importantly, he has his golf clubs.

Bitter Clinger on January 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM

He can’t afford to be humble. It clashes with his deification.

Flange on January 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Headline: “Obama Pivots to Humility.” Oh sure, I can see that happening.

Deano1952 on January 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM

He has a pen and a phone. If he only had a clue.

Something tells me that he may have more luck with the pen… link

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM

John Podesta is a venomous snake. He didn’t come on board to smooth the waters. He’s there to attack the opposition that has been mounting against Obama. This turd went after Billy Jeff’s bimbos back in the day.

Podesta’s presence signifies sanctimony not humility.

fogw on January 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Humility???

Are we talking about the same guy???

KMC1 on January 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

OH LORD, IT’S HARD TO BE HUMBLE

More like INconvene.

Convene me, Mr President. I dare ya.

Marcola on January 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Please, humble is for the common folk.

DDay on January 15, 2014 at 2:20 PM

That is also partly the MSM’s fault. They anointed Hillary as their pick for 2016 even before Obama got sworn in for his second term.

Johnnyreb on January 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM

jukin3 on January 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM

The rat-eared wonder is, perhaps, in the absolute worst job you can have if you also have narcissistic personality disorder. It’s like spending years higher than a kite. The return to reality when he no longer matters is going to be very ugly.

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM

The dems will have to tell Obama to stick his pen where it doesn’t shine…..

And help repeal ObamaCare if the democratic party is to survive……

Obama is the beginning of the end of liberalism in America.

redguy on January 15, 2014 at 2:22 PM

GOP should retort that he may have a pen and a phone, he sure as hell doesn’t have a website.

matthew8787 on January 15, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Obama:

All I need is a pen and a phone….and that’s the only thing I need is *this*. I don’t need this or this. Just this pen… And this telephone – The pen and the telephone and that’s all I need… And this remote control. – The pen, the telephone, and the remote control, and that’s all I need… And these White House matches. – The pen, and these White House matches, and the remote control, and the phone… And this lamp. – The pen, this telephone, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that’s all *I* need. And that’s *all* I need too. I don’t need one other thing, not one… I need this. – The phone and the Commander in Chief chair, and the remote control, and the White House matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I’m some kind of a jerk or something! – And this. That’s all I need.

Ahemm….

The Jerk

WisRich on January 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I’m rooting for the “lost second term”.

jdpaz on January 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

It is getting pretty bad when you start to think “Ya know, I *could* live with ‘President Biden’ for the next couple years.”

ProfShadow on January 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Podesta’s presence signifies sanctimony not humility.

fogw on January 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Exactly

SteveInRTP on January 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Podesta’s presence signifies sanctimony not humility.

fogw on January 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

No question about it.

Kataklysmic on January 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

He has a pen and a phone. If he only had a clue.

Something tells me that he may have more luck with the pen… link

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Certainly more luck than he ha operating umbrellas.

Bitter Clinger on January 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I promise you that John Podesta is behind the ignore-the-legislature ploy. He has forthrightly said that that is what preezy should do is the “progressive” agenda is to go “forward.”

onlineanalyst on January 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

That photo says very clearly that the only “laurel” he cares about is the one he thinks should be adorning his godlike brow.

Expecting humility- or even an awareness of reality- from this narcissist is like expecting understandable speech from Donald Duck.

clear ether

eon

eon on January 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

ProfShadow on January 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Sign me up. As I’ve said before I’ll take stupid over evil any day. Biden is just a garden variety Dem buffoon. He hasn’t spent his entire life surrounded by America hating Marxists like Teh One.

Kataklysmic on January 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Guy on Faux called him “the Fredo presidency” today.

Heh, for the people and modest about it, thugs.

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

*crossing fingers behind my back*

Bitter Clinger on January 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Pajama-obama plans to ‘save’ the senate.

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Biggest do nothing, play golf, vacation and insult and divide blowhard that ever hit Pennsylvania Avenue, EVER. And that’s saying something. Go away Barry Blowhard.

NJ Red on January 15, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Headline: “Obama Pivots to Humility.” Oh sure, I can see that happening.

Deano1952 on January 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Just because the rat-eared wonder has his own flag, his own logo, his own salute, the need for his own “President Elect” seal, and fake greek columns does not mean that he is devoid of humility. He made microwave popcorn all by himself once- just like the common folk. Of course, it was on his private 757 enroute to a Hawaian vacation. Nevertheless, the stewards were all busy and he was hungry so he just popped it himself!

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM

ProfShadow on January 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Kataklysmic on January 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Could you imagine the daily “foot in mouth” this guy would produce? It would be Allah’s dream come true for blog-worthy material.

Bitter Clinger on January 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM

NJ Red on January 15, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Oh and I forgot…take your f@uckin’ pen with you and shove it.

NJ Red on January 15, 2014 at 2:31 PM

by writing executive orders because, er … “I have a pen!”

What good is a pen if you’re the pajama-obama?

All he ever wanted was to be:

1. Elected

2. Re-elected.

Thank God he’s a lazy narcissistic bastard.

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Pajama-obama plans to ‘save’ the senate.

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM

My guess is that candidates running in 2014 are not banging down his door demanding he campaign for them.

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 2:32 PM

To stand behind him while he reads a speech? WTH is he talking about?

kcewa on January 15, 2014 at 2:32 PM

A child is president.

He doesn’t know that respect can only be earned, the thug.

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Podesta’s presence signifies sanctimony not humility.

fogw on January 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

A+

NewsBusters, on Podesta’s Center for American Progress (CAP)

CAP is a policy writing and advocating organization, complete with its own media outlet. Not only has CAP received more than $5.7 million from George Soros, it also has a membership program for corporations to be part of the discussion.

-snip-

Think Progress, the “journalism” outlet for CAP Action, promotes a slew of liberal agenda talking points. These articles are often picked up by Alternet, and other members of the Media Consortium. The Media Consortium was created to be a progressive “echo chamber,” where left-wing media outlets can network and share ideas, as well as cross-promote stories.

Think Progress was also part of a group of 23 liberal media outlets that pressured the IRS to target conservative groups. After the story broke in May 2013, the IRS admitted to giving extra scrutiny to applications for nonprofit status from groups with words like “tea party” or “patriot” in their descriptions.

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Sounds like they haven’t finished writing his script for this year…or perhaps they’re looking for a “hand” for 0bama, the puppet.

freedomfirst on January 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Looking forward to every Dem running for US Sen or Rep being asked the same questions, over and over:
“Hey, is O going to appear on the campaign trail with you?
Is O going to cut a campaign commercial for you?
Is O going to hold fundraisers for you?
Is O gonna… etc… etc…”

Marcola on January 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 2:32 PM

She’s NOT appearing with him in NC :)

All who voted for obama’care’, to Hell with him! That includes all the ins. and med. device companies and all the doctors who stood with him. I hope they all go under.

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Obysmal thinks that the pen*is mightier than the telephone.

Has he abandonded red lines?

onlineanalyst on January 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Yeah that horse is out of the barn already with Bammie declaring his decree that EOs will commence until morale improves.

neyney on January 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I just pray he doesn’t have two turntables, and a microphone.

NotCoach on January 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM

An unexpected Beck reference! Fantastic!

“Where it’s at!
I got two turntables and a microphone
Where it’s at!
I got two turntables and a microphone”

I wore out that disc in college and law school.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on January 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM

You assume he cares.

He has enabled his muzzie brothers. The ‘Arab Spring’ is a mockery, which he and Hillary enabled.

He has altered the US, to her demise.

He and his beard will live like billionaires, based on nothing.

Why would he worry?

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM

You all know how we can tell that Obama is being humble.

He puts on his folksy voice. The one that drops of the final “g” in words ending in “ing” For example, Michelle and I are lookin’ forward to our next vacation. I’m hopin’ to get in some fishin’, golfin’ and playin’ basketball.

He does it because, after all, we relate better to a President who sounds like an uneducated street thug.

Happy Nomad on January 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Yea, and I am hoping Katherine Webb shows up at my doorstep tonight with cold beer and pizza in a negligee.

rjoco1 on January 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM

He also needs to stop campaigning and start governing

Don’t encourage him, Ed.

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

He looks like Lenin and Mussolini had sex and produced him.

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Mock the heck out of him and all who voted for him.

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM

You assume he cares.

He has altered the US, to her demise.

He and his beard will live like billionaires, based on nothing.

Why would he worry?

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Reminds me of the Frank Luntz interview that was posted here the other day where he said he’s getting out of focus group business because Obama has basically turned the electorate into a bunch of self entitled parasites. Mission accomplished.

Kataklysmic on January 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

If you like your lying narcissistic man child, you will keep your lying narcissistic man child.
Like herpes.

AllahsNippleHair on January 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

A pen, a phone and a putter. He’s set.

djl130 on January 15, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Mission accomplished.

Kataklysmic on January 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Well, that buffonish RINO azzhole helped him to accomplish it.

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Dan Greenfield (Sultan Knish)knows what he is talking about. Watch out for John Podesta. He is ruthless.

onlineanalyst on January 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Forget it, dems. He’s just not that into you.

It’s all about the 0.

HumpBot Salvation on January 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Yeah….that ain’t gonna happen…… and to think folks would want another 4 years with Hillary at the helm….yikes

cmsinaz on January 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM

He has that auto pen..so all is well

cmsinaz on January 15, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I bet he keeps his golf score w/ a pencil that has an eraser…..that is all……..

nchammer on January 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM

And he will tell them “I won” and no you can’t have any of my Obama campaign stash.

Cindy Munford on January 15, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Democrats are hoping Obama gets more ‘humble’?

Well while that is what Dems are hoping for, the rest of us are hoping Obama…
- becomes less of a Fascist dictator-wannabe…
- stops violating the Constitution and breaking the laws….
- stops aiding terrorists around the world take over their own nations, the way he did in Libya, Egypt, and tried to in Suria…
- is held accountable for any of his on-going scandals…
- is IMPEACHED!

easyt65 on January 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM

It’s very simple: Obama just doesn’t know stuff.
And his administration doesn’t either.

It’s safest just to not say or do anything.

Tsar of Earth on January 15, 2014 at 3:12 PM

“I Have a Pen! …We are not just going to be waiting for legislation in order to make sure that we’re providing Americans the kind of help that they need,” he said.

Oh crap. Wonder what the definition of help is.

Tsar of Earth on January 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Our president is Chauncey Gardiner in “Being There.”

FishingwFredo on January 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Egobama: Oh Lord, it’s hard to be humble, when you’re perfect in every way!

Steve Z on January 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM

…and this wish for “humility” is from the folks what think they will win in 2014 by running on Obamacare.
Another 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 million cancellation letters coming before the November 2014 elections arrive – oh, yeah, baby! That’s what the voters really want – Go, Dhimms, go!

DublOh7 on January 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Oh crap. Wonder what the definition of help is.

Something like pushing Granny’s wheelchair to the edge of the cliff!

Steve Z on January 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM

He and his beard…

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM

If not empathy, got sympathy?

Think about the first thing he sees in the morning.
(That is, of course, assuming he doesn’t sleep in front of a mirror.)

Leg-over?
(Certainly I have you all crying now.)

Tsar of Earth on January 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM

“He also needs to stop campaigning and start governing …”

O_o

Seven Percent Solution on January 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Maybe, this?

Or racism? Yep, definitely racism?

[P.S., Don't mess with the 2nd Amendment.]

blammm on January 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on January 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I occasionally pull stuff out of my arse. :P

NotCoach on January 15, 2014 at 3:58 PM

He also needs to stop campaigning and start governing

Hahahaha!!!!!

That’s the only thing King Barack the Magnificent is good at!

GarandFan on January 15, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Nothing getting done is a whole lot better than doing what he wants.

Tater Salad on January 15, 2014 at 4:23 PM

AllahsNippleHair on January 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Like it. The quote. Not the lying narcissistic man child himself.

Paul-Cincy on January 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I see what you did there.

That cracked me up, but not nearly as much as realizing that his laurel (singular) is the massive screw-up of Obamacare.

Even his laurel is something he should be ashamed of. And yet, he’s arrogant.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Obama humble? That’s like asking a lion to become vegetarian.

sadatoni on January 15, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Obama humble? That’s like asking a lion to become vegetarian.

sadatoni on January 15, 2014 at 5:41 PM

A vegetarian lion is at least possible. Of course, there’s only one documented case I know of.

A humble Obama? Now that’s a stretch!

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 15, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Wish in one hand and spit in the other…

Dhuka on January 15, 2014 at 6:37 PM