Mike Huckabee: Isn’t it time we retire the term “RINO”?

posted at 4:41 pm on January 14, 2014 by Allahpundit

Apparently someone applied this term to Huck himself and it brought him up short. You’d think he’d be used to it after the millionth time.

I’m fine with swapping it out for another term, but how do I describe myself then? “Candy-ass … centrist”? That’s too vague. “Candy-ass … establishmentarian”? Better, but still a mouthful. Few substitutes have the pithy poetic zing of “candy-ass RINO.”

“Many of you used a term that I’d like to see outlawed from the vernacular of the party: RINO,” he said, calling it a “pejorative term” that questioned one’s purity…

“With all due respect, I’ve fought in the trenches of Republican politics for over two decades, but I wouldn’t pretend that I’m lord over determining who the real Republicans are versus the so-called RINOs,” he said…

Huckabee reminded his readers that Jesus once said that “a house divided against itself cannot stand,” referring to the Gospel of Matthew…

“I’d rather have a loyal dog who licks me than one with a pedigree who bites me,” he added. “I’d rather go to battle with someone who isn’t perfect than with someone who thinks he is.”

How Jesus ended up in a scolding about RINOs versus true cons, I don’t know. I don’t understand the dog analogy either. The point about conservatives and RINOs isn’t that the former has a “pedigree” and the latter doesn’t, it’s that the latter frequently advertise themselves as one thing and then vote as another. They’re the opposite of loyal. Although maybe that’s an insight into where Huck stands on all this. From the perspective of, say, John Boehner, it’s true — the RINOs are the loyal dog and tea partiers are the pedigreed ones who bite. How does that analogy work from the standpoint of conservative voters, though? Who would Huck’s erstwhile constituents in Arkansas regard as having more of a “pedigree,” tea-party freshmen or Beltway Republicans who’ve been in Washington gladhanding rich lobbyists for 25 years?

That’s a key irony about Huck, though: He’s really not a “RINO” in the sense that the term’s usually used these days. He’s no more a creature of the Beltway than those tea-party freshmen are; on the contrary, one of the core grievances of his 2008 campaign was that the GOP establishment disdains the sort of rural, religious, blue-collar voters that it purports to represent and that he connects with. He gets slapped with the “RINO” label because of his big-government heresies but there’s got to be another term to distinguish a social-conservative warrior from the sort of status-quo D.C. slicksters we all think of when the R-bomb is dropped. How about “Pope Francis Republican”? There’s a market for that out there. Not enough to get him close to the nomination in 2016 but enough to keep politics interesting.

Exit question: Isn’t there some support among tea partiers too for jettisoning increasingly outdated labels like “RINO”? Read this Erick Erickson post from October before you answer.

Update: A friend suggests “Eeyorepublican.” I could live with that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

RINOs are the biggest whiners, bigger than the commies.

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Sure Huck, we can replace with “F-ing RINO”, and you can be the first to wear the label.

Ward Cleaver on January 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I doubt he’ll find “Candy-ass … centrist” any better, but it works for me, whatever upsets him more.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM

How about we just call them Republicans and those of us with a conscience, Conservative?

BKeyser on January 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Pro-amnesty and anti-tea party RINO Huckabee is no conservative.

bluegill on January 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Mike Huckabee: Isn’t it time we retire the term “RINO”s?

Better

emz35 on January 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

You first, RINO!

blammm on January 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Conservatives are the RINOs now. Our values aren’t wanted by the rEEpublican Party.

I call the kind of folks we used to call RINOs, DIABLOs now.
Democrats In All But Label Only.

and for those of you who haven’t studied the soon to be required language, diablo means devil en Espanol.

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Huckabee has been railing against Tea Party “purists” and has been promoting Establishment RINO’s.

Huckabee promotes pro-amnesty Jeb Bush and also Akin types.

bluegill on January 14, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Pope Francis Republicans – I’ve just found my new favorite term. It combines just the right about of socon and socialist into one title.

Panther on January 14, 2014 at 4:48 PM

kingsjester on January 14, 2014 at 4:48 PM

he said, calling it a “pejorative term” that questioned one’s purity…

Well, I object to people insinuating that I have a ‘purity’ test.

My only purity test: does the candidate support liberty and small government principals? We may not agree on everything, but this is what I look for.

LilyBart on January 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Squish?
Diablo?
S/He/It who speaks with forked tongue?
Backstabbers?

Gohawgs on January 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM

— AllahP

Sorry, this should have been in quotes – by AP

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM

He is not different from obama – live the life of millionaires while preaching socialism to all other.

Meh, go to the same place, together, with all the RINOs.

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Ward Cleaver on January 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Bang-on!

And Huck, don’t throw your hat in the ring – you’re making a few bucks now at Fox – new house too I understand – couple of $$s in the bank – playing guitar one night a week – nice guests on your show – you’ve never had it so good, since your last foray.

karra on January 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Go AWAY Schmuckabee!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Great point. “Rino” is typically applied to those who embrace only the national security leg of the stool and sneer at social and economic conservatives. How then to classify social and national security conservatives who enjoy raising taxes like Huck? “Compassionate conservative” may conjure up enough disdain.

Kataklysmic on January 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM

RINOs on display. They destroy you better than the pajama-preezie. They enable him.

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM

How about “Plutocratic Political Class?” Has sort of a nice ring to it. And it speaks to truth.

Walter L. Newton on January 14, 2014 at 4:52 PM

VIDEO: RINO Huckabee Scolds Tea Party Groups for Attacking Establishment Republicans

bluegill on January 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM

How about calling you the “We fruck you as good, or better, as the leftists do” party?

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Mike Huckabee: Isn’t it time we retire the term “RINO”?

Agreed.

Old: RINO

New: DUMBO

Well, he is an elephant…

Bruno Strozek on January 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Mark Levin’s term of “French Republicans” is the best.

cdog0613 on January 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Conservative

Only

In

Name

COIN.

And a bad penny, at that…

Ragspierre on January 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Christie/Huckabee

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM

When Cruz asks for me to stop using the term, I might not dismiss it out of hand.

applebutter on January 14, 2014 at 4:54 PM

How about “Pope Francis Republican”?

Heh, this should make lostfuckerland’s day.

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I agree. I prefer CINO (pronounced chee no).

NotCoach on January 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Huckabee sticks up for Boehner against Tea Party:

bluegill on January 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM

How about “Pope Francis Republican”?

This should make lostfu*kerland’s day.

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM

This should make lostfu*kerland’s day.

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM

You know the Pope is only the Pope because of gerrymandering, right?

NotCoach on January 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Hillary/Huckabee

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM

OK! Frum!

cbenoistd on January 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Mike Huckabee: Isn’t it time we retire the term “RINO”?

As long as you stay retired you can call yourself whatever you want.

Rocks on January 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM

He’s kind of right. Let’s just call them democrats.

jukin3 on January 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM

WINO: Winner In Name Only
NINO: Something Starting With N In Name Only

Christien on January 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Of course, if you stop beating the dog and actually feed him, he’ll stop biting you. It’s not a disloyal dog, so much as it is a neglectful owner.

LilyBart on January 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM

And, I would add, somewhat redundantly, “constitutional governance (as understood by our Founding Fathers)”.

GWB on January 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM

NINO=Nonpartisan In Name Only

Christien on January 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I thought we sorted this out a few weeks ago when the GOP senators joined the dems to scuttle the Cruz/Lee effort. At that point I wanted nothing to do with weak repubs and considered myself a RINO!

DanMan on January 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM

How then to classify social and national security conservatives who enjoy raising taxes and growing government like Huck?

Kataklysmic on January 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM

FIFY

GWB on January 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Christie/Huckabee
Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Not bad. Pretty much got the social and fiscal cons all represented. Tea Partiers on the other hand, I don’t know.

loveofcountry on January 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Frankly the Republican Party is Democrat lite – a party with no back bone, no will to fight or stand on principle. The term RINO has come to exemplify the party – it is mainstream. It once referred to a minority of northern establishment types but now references the majority of the party. “Republican in Name Only” would be better suited to referring to those of a true Conservative bent. Conservatives who stick to the theory that the liberal wing of the Republican party is the minority wing are fooling themselves. Those who were pejoratively referred to as RINOs in the past are the norm not the exception. A Conservative party is needed to win elections while the mainstream liberals and the liberal Republicans split the liberal to moderate vote.

12th Legion on January 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Huck must hope that time will erase the memories of his time as governor.

Bookmark this John Fund column from 2007:

…I have known and liked him for years; on the stump he often tells the story of how we first met outside his boarded-up office in the state Capitol, which had been sealed by Arkansas Democrats who refused to accept he had won an upset election for lieutenant governor in 1993. But I also know he is not the “consistent conservative” he now claims to be.

Nor am I alone. Betsy Hagan, Arkansas director of the conservative Eagle Forum and a key backer of his early runs for office, was once “his No. 1 fan.” She was bitterly disappointed with his record. “He was pro-life and pro-gun, but otherwise a liberal,” she says. “Just like Bill Clinton he will charm you, but don’t be surprised if he takes a completely different turn in office.”

Phyllis Schlafly, president of the national Eagle Forum, is even more blunt. “He destroyed the conservative movement in Arkansas, and left the Republican Party a shambles,” she says. “Yet some of the same evangelicals who sold us on George W. Bush as a ‘compassionate conservative’ are now trying to sell us on Mike Huckabee.”

…When conservatives took over the Southern Baptist Convention after a bitter fight in the 1980s, Mr. Huckabee sided with the ruling moderates. Paul Pressler, a former Texas judge who led the conservative Southern Baptist revolt, told me, “I know of no conservative he appointed while he headed the Arkansas Baptist Convention.”

INC on January 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Better yet, retire the RINOs.

ThePrez on January 14, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Huckabee isn’t a RINO I think he might be a Compassionate Conservative…which means that other republicans are not compassionate enough. I guess I cannot expect a former Pastor to ever not be compassionate.

I think you should reserve the RINO name for when it fits.

Fleuries on January 14, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I suppose I could let Huckabee lick me. It’d have to be the right spot, though, and I wouldn’t be facing him.

Tom Servo on January 14, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Vichy Republicans.

kingsjester on January 14, 2014 at 5:05 PM

How do you feel about going to battle with someone who’s stabbing you in the back constantly?

Yeah, that’s how conservatives feel about the GOP lately.

Midas on January 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Bad move Huck. I bet your Twitter feed exploded after that.

I used to like you. *sigh*

22044 on January 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Sure, I’ll stop calling Huckabee a RINO, just as soon as he apologizes for his repeated “Shi’ite Republicans” slur against conservatives.

Laura on January 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Ol’ Huck never quite figured out which side his bread was buttered on. That’s why his radio show failed miserably…like Geraldo’s.

kingsjester on January 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Nanny state theocrat?

Fenris on January 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Nanny state theocrat?

Fenris on January 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Panther on January 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Huckabee did make a good point during his monologue–that there’s no point in conservatives refusing to vote for an incumbent Republican in the general election if he wins the primary if he votes your views 90% of the time, if that means allowing a Democrat to win if he always votes against your views.

Republican primaries are all about trying to find the Republican candidate that best expresses the views of Republican voters, with the best chance to win the general election. A Tea-Party conservative can probably win a general election in states like Texas or South Carolina, could have a fighting chance in states like Missouri or Indiana, but would be a sure loser in Pennsylvania or Florida or Michigan. In some bluish-purple states, a so-called RINO might be a better choice, if he votes with conservatives 50% of the time or more, since he would be a better Senator than a Democrat.

Whether or not our preferred candidate wins the primary, conservatives owe it to themselves (and their states) to vote for the Republican candidate in the general election, since such a candidate (if elected) would vote with conservatives far more often than a Democrat.

Steve Z on January 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM

If he thought it would help the great huckster would grow a DD beard. He is a power hungry fraud who will say or do anything to get elected.

meci on January 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Very well.

We’ll call them “Huckabees.”

Hawkins1701 on January 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Ward Cleaver on January 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM

BRILLIANT POST. +INFINITY!

ToddPA on January 14, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Quisling Republicans

diogenes on January 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM

The Huckster isn’t a social conservative either. He’s as liberal as any Democrat when it comes to the social issues other than, perhaps, abortion. He allowed killers out of prison to kill again- in the name of compassion. He’d be manning the trenches with any “centrist” when it comes to stuff like amnesty. Personally I object to him calling himself an evangelical Christian. He’s a RINO who drags Christ into his agenda with WWJD quips. He claims he will not judge the credentials of who is and isn’t a Republican at the same time he judges just how Christ-like folks are based on his secular agenda.

But if the Huckster doesn’t like RINO, what about Surrender Weasels. Or perhaps Triceratops- the Rhino-like dinosaur equally as relevant to the Republican Party’s future as John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, Chris Christie or the Huckster. Dinosaurs died out and so will Republicans if idiots like these continue to hold sway.

Happy Nomad on January 14, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Democrat? Socialist?

kcewa on January 14, 2014 at 5:16 PM

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM

RINOs are fighting for control of the Republican Party, so RINO really is an obsolete term.

I call them “Always Side With Progressive Establishment” Republicans, or ASWIPE for short.

peski on January 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Quisling Republicans

diogenes on January 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM

You’ve got to factor in the LIVs. You really think they’d get the Vichy or Quisling references? I seriously doubt Honey Boo Boo or the Kardashians have provided the background for these idiots to understand the terms. And I don’t really feel up to seeing a bunch of references to “quizling” Republicans.

Happy Nomad on January 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM

RINOs need to stop calling other Republicans “wacko-birds”.

Hera on January 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM

RINOs need to stop calling other Republicans “wacko-birds”.

Hera on January 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Well, at least if they then turn around and quote Christ as to why the right-wing Republicans should obey their masters. Lest you forget, the Huckster was only slightly less nasty than McCain in attacking Ted Cruz.

Happy Nomad on January 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM

peski on January 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Silky-gloved losers to pajama-obama sums it all up.

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM

OF COURSE – HOW SIMPLE!
IF WE STOP SAYING IT, THEY WILL CEASE TO EXIST!

Marcola on January 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Does he really have to use dog analogies? If he was the nominee it would be a field day all over again for the media, like Rover Romney or whatever that poor fellas name was.

IIRC, Huckabee’s obese son was in trouble for some funnin’ with stray dog target practice to a public outrage, that the Guv’s office quickly had to away.

Marcus on January 14, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Bad move Huck. I bet your Twitter feed exploded after that.

I used to like you. *sigh*

22044 on January 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I lost all respect for the Huckster in 2008 when he fomented up hatred for Mormons (Mitt Romney) as he was running as an “evangelical Christian.” And by fomented, I mean he all but said that we shouldn’t pay attention to candidates who belong to cults.

Happy Nomad on January 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I vote for “Huckabees.”

Right Wingnut on January 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM

With all due respect, you’re delusional, and your posturing is an insult to people who actually fight in trenches.

Ronnie on January 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Huckster has gone over the edge.
Guess he’s ginning up to run for office and doesn’t want the label applied to him. *sorry if this has already been mentioned*

He’s really turned into a jerk….always reminded me of a vinegarone when he talked with that sideways working of his jaw. (I used to as a child entertain myself by laying on my stomach on the ground and watching the insects close up. Really opens up one’s perspective of their world. Do kids even do that anymore?)

Now,I commence to read the other posts.

avagreen on January 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Marcus on January 14, 2014 at 5:24 PM

That’s it!! I’m gonna spit on him if he comes here. Go there just to do that.

avagreen on January 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I vote for “Huckabees.”

Right Wingnut on January 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Could we call them “the Bees” for short?

Happy Nomad on January 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Richard Nixon: “I am not a crook.”

Barack Obama: “I am not a liar.”

Mike Huckabee: “I am not a RINO.”

See a pattern here?

Right Wingnut on January 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Meanwhile a D with good sense

Schadenfreude on January 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Could we call them “the Bees” for short?

Happy Nomad on January 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM

or Huck Feds.

Ronnie on January 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Happy Nomad on January 14, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I don’t know Huck’s exact beliefs, but see my comment above linking to a John Fund column quoting Judge Pressler who is theologically conservative and well-known among long-time Southern Baptists.

This is Baptist inside baseball, but during the 80′s theologically conservative Baptists were able to regain control of the denomination from liberals (who call themselves moderates as political libs do). In the late 80′s, early 90′s, before Huck was in politics, he was president of the Arkansas Baptist Convention (the Southern Baptist churches within AR). Judge Pressler’s remarks are in regard to various committee appointments, etc., Huck would have made. It’s quite telling that Pressler publicly said Huck didn’t appoint theological conservatives.

See also this column by Bob Novak from December 2007:
Baptists Not on Board with a few more details. Huck was furious that Pressler did not endorse him.

INC on January 14, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Conservative

Only

In

Name

COIN.

And a bad penny, at that…

Ragspierre on January 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM

i like this better than “RINO.” being conservative is more important than being republican.

Sachiko on January 14, 2014 at 5:43 PM

How about just Republican. That’s already synonymous with candy ass bipartisan bendovers.

gwelf on January 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM

If you promise to retire from public service for life, I think it would be a fair trade.

portlandon on January 14, 2014 at 5:46 PM

We can outlaw the term ‘RINO’ when Republicans start winning elections on a platform of increased spending, amnesty for illegal aliens and fully funding Obamacare.

Wigglesworth on January 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM

INC on January 14, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I’m not sure the Huckster knows his exact beliefs. He claims he’s a conservative yet: He’s pro-amnesty in the name of compassion. He’s a gun-grabber (usually he references Jonesboro). He never met a government program he didn’t like. But, again, I don’t really care about this hypocrisy.

What I most object to is his use of WWJD quips to suggest that if you don’t agree with him then you must not be a real Christian. He never even completed seminary! Who the hell is he to tell me I’m not following Christ if I object to giving amnesty to illegal aliens?

Happy Nomad on January 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Pardon Me, Huckabee. Why are you still showing your face in public?

portlandon on January 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM

LilyBart on January 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Yes, we need more small-government principals who teach their students that this is a Constitutional republic rather than a democracy

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Richard Nixon: “I am not a crook.”

Barack Obama: “I am not a liar.”

Mike Huckabee: “I am not a RINO.”

See a pattern here?

Right Wingnut on January 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Don’t forget – Chris Christie “I am not a bully.”

Wigglesworth on January 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM

So says the pseudo-conservative, pseudo-christian statist pretending to be a populist. Huckabee is the Sybilof the political world.

LegendHasIt on January 14, 2014 at 5:50 PM

or Huck Feds.

Ronnie on January 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Perhaps the “Huck You”s would be more appropriate.

Happy Nomad on January 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM

He’s making nice with the GOPe just as he did with his enthusiastic endorsement of Romney in 2012. And I think there’s no such thing as “RINO” anyway. Conservatives in name only, sure. But Romney, Christie, McCain, McConnell, Graham et al are good Republicans.

ddrintn on January 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I will retire the term RINO when all of the Rinos are retired by elections.

mobydutch on January 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Republican politicians should think about that quote as they regularly vote against us and stand with the Democrats.

RJL on January 14, 2014 at 6:11 PM

I’m a LGC.

Limited government Conservative.

NOT a republican……they have sucked for over 100 years (with brief respites with Coolidge and Reagan).

PappyD61 on January 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Which is why conservatives don’t want RINOs who continue to bite them while licking liberal democrats (see: “Mclame”)

RoadRunner on January 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Huck is a lying smarmy joke.

But apparently thar sum on the right that see him as the Duck Dynasty version of Rev. Jackson or Sharpton.

God help us.

PappyD61 on January 14, 2014 at 6:20 PM

You’d think he’d be used to it after the millionth time.

Yes. Yes you would.

And yet…

…we get this stream of non sequitur bullshit. Please tell me which RINO a55wipe is the proverbial “dog who licks” conservatives? Go back to your Howdy Doody Fox talk show and lay off the biscuits, Biff.

Jaibones on January 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Isn’t it time we just retire the RINO’s ? Throw the bums out and elect some conservative public servants.

thatsafactjack on January 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM

God help us.

PappyD61 on January 14, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Amen to that.

Jaibones on January 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Not sure what you are referring to by “against us” – are you referring to against your brand of Republican policies or against Christians. A lot of posters on this thread are showing their prejudice against Christians. Christians and other social conservatives have made up the winning margin of successful Republican presidential candidacies. They have been an integral part of the conservative coalition and it is a shame that there are those that would dismiss Christians and social conservatives. With the U.S. at a 48% dependency cross road the conservative movement needs to hold together.

12th Legion on January 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Isn’t it time we retire Hucklebee?

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2014 at 6:28 PM