Report: No federal criminal charges expected in IRS targeting of tea-party groups

posted at 7:21 pm on January 13, 2014 by Allahpundit

The DOJ lawyer who’s heading the investigation is an Obama donor and the FBI, after seven months of supposedly investigating this, only recently contacted tea-party groups targeted by the IRS. But other than that, everything here seems legit.

I was totally betting on Holder resuscitating a basically dormant scandal in an election year, when his boss already has his plate full with NSA angst and the endless ObamaCare car crash.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation doesn’t plan to file criminal charges over the Internal Revenue Service’s heightened scrutiny of conservative groups, according to law-enforcement officials, a move that likely will only intensify debate over the politically charged scandal.

The officials said investigators didn’t find the kind of political bias or “enemy hunting” that would amount to a violation of criminal law. Instead, what emerged during the probe was evidence of a mismanaged bureaucracy enforcing rules about tax-exemption applications it didn’t understand, according to the law-enforcement officials…

By its very nature, the investigation has been freighted with political suspicions. Cleta Mitchell, a lawyer who has represented about a dozen groups that faced such questions by the IRS, said the FBI has yet to contact any of her clients about the issue.

“As far as I can tell, nobody has actually done an investigation. This has been a big, bureaucratic, former-Soviet-Union-type investigation, which means that there was no investigation,” she said. “This is a deplorable abuse of the public trust, but I am not surprised.”

The Journal seems to think this will be a whip for the GOP in boosting turnout for the midterms. I … guess that’s true, but probably only as part of a laundry list: E.g., “we need to show the White House that America can do better than ObamaCare and chronic unemployment and Benghazi and punishing people because you disagree with their politics.” So awful was Obama’s 2013, in fact, that between the NSA fiasco, the gun-control push, dithering on Syria, spying on reporters, shutdown theater with the national parks, and of course the Chernobyl you and I know as Healthcare.gov, the IRS targeting at this point arguably doesn’t even place in his top five lowlights of the past 12 months. There’s too much failure to keep track of. He’s faster than the speed of scandal.

Go watch Alex Wagner, who hosts a show for Bridgegate TV, wondering if Benghazi and the IRS scandal are partisan chew toys that will never be dropped because there’s too much political benefit to the other side in keeping them going. Chris Hayes should have her on during tonight’s “special” to flesh out that idea.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This idiot again?

Murphy9 on January 13, 2014 at 9:26 PM

OL, thanks for the non sequitur. Where did I confirm the existence of this establishment?

Around when you put up Jeb Bush after bashing someone about not getting involved, saying you would vote for him.

Yea,, about then.

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM

The fact that this can happen is because the IRS has been very successful at withholding critical information from the House committee investigating this. If the House committee had some serious incriminating evidence on the IRS, Justice would be forced to prosecute. Justice knows what’s out there and they feel comfortable making this announcement.

I’m not in favor of a Special Prosecutor, primarily because Justice will appoint one. I don’t trust Justice and I certainly don’t trust anyone they’d be willing to appoint. This is all about cover-up. Let the House look very carefully at the rules being proposed, by the Administration, to try and make what they did legal.

The Democrats and administration, plan to keep this hanging out there until after the election. They want to be able to do this again and, without convictions, they can probably get away with it. The House has the power to deal with this, but the leaders are happy with the result. Boehner and company are happy the tea party was out of the last election and would be delighted if they were out of the next one too. I hope the tea party has figured this out and plans to work around what’s been done to them. If they have, I look for a really exciting primary period.

bflat879 on January 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM

this idiot again? Murphy9 on January 13, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Which one? Be specific.

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM

FloatingRock on January 13, 2014 at 9:16 PM

lol, good one. Looked at the pic, thought, “what’s the problem?” He just wants to help.

arnold ziffel on January 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM

The GOP is opening attacking these same groups with the Chamber of Commerce now.

tetriskid on January 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Bull.

V7_Sport on January 13, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Try unwinding your cranial-rectal inversion for awhile and observe what’s going on around you. It might require actual reading comprehension on your part, so I suspect it would be a tremendous challenge, but if you actually spent 30 seconds observing what your beloved party is *saying* and *doing*, you might have a hint of a ghost of a clue, and wind up not saying quite as much abjectly and laughably stupid crap. I doubt it, but they do say that hope springs eternal.

Midas on January 13, 2014 at 9:37 PM

This is OT – but interesting……

Let’s all help make Barry Greenfield famous.

Solaratov on January 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Which one? Be specific.

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Your boy v7

Murphy9 on January 13, 2014 at 10:41 PM

“As far as I can tell, nobody has actually done an investigation.

Holder didn’t need one. He already knew what his conclusion would be.

GarandFan on January 13, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Re. FloatingRock
So the chamber of commerce is supporting: “business-friendly candidates in primaries and the general election, with an aim of trying to win a Republican Senate majority.”
“Our No. 1 focus is to make sure, when it comes to the Senate, that we have no loser candidates,” said U.S. Chamber of Commerce top political strategist Scott Reed. “That will be our mantra: No fools on our ticket.”

And that’s an attack against the Tea Party? If it is, it’s only because there have been genuine fools like “Christine O’Donnell” who were simply unelectable that have been offered up in the RINO purge.

Re.Skywise

The chamber of commerce is actively funding campaigns AGAINST Tea Party Members along and with the blessing of the GOP i

Which tea party members?

in order to turn it more moderate and cede immigration which will effectively destroy the GOP.

I oppose Amnesty, I’m a member of Numbers USA which lobbies to reduce immigration. I’m unaware of the chamber of commerce undercutting ant specific anti-amnisty candidates however they may have which I would oppose.
Now what? Let the country burn or try to work the problem?

V7_Sport on January 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Did you read what I wrote? Did I bring up Jeb Bush? Go read it and try again. Better yet, set aside your butthurt, I’m trying to play nice because annoyinglittletwerp rules the playground.

V7_Sport on January 13, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Midas on January 13, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Said the Moby who has advocated voting for democrats here to bring about the worst for the country which you have implied is a pile of crap. And once again, not that you are up to it, but what you wrote in no way advanced the conversation. This time it shows that you can’t distinguish between causation and correlation. Back to the kiddy table with you. Or Daily Kos.

V7_Sport on January 13, 2014 at 11:04 PM

And that’s an attack against the Tea Party?

V7_Sport on January 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Yes, the Chamber of Crony Commerce is attacking the tea party because they want amnesty for illegal aliens and most Americans, including the tea party, the most organized threat against amnesty and crony-capitalism, absolutely does not want that. The Chamber is on the war path against the American labor force are are trying to wipe out the tea party in the primaries so they can have their way with the American people.

If they spend enough money on propaganda they may be able to defeat us in the primaries, (although not if tea partiers show up), but if so we may still be able to defeat them in the general, as discussed in the Rove thread.

FloatingRock on January 13, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Now, criminal charges against members of the IRS for their actions vis-a-vis TEA Party groups, that’s another question.

Another Drew on January 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Mark Levin just broke this from Fox-Rosen report:

DECLASSIFIED TRANSCRIPTS from the U.S. military’s top commanders present a picture of a woefully ill-postured military force whose assets were not in a position to quickly respond to the Benghazi terror attack.

Transcripts: Obama briefed on ‘attack’ — not video or protest | Senator: Survivors blame terrorism for attack
VIDEO: What led to slow military response? | VIDEO: Declassified docs pull back Benghazi curtain

bluefox on January 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM

And this hearing took place how many months ago? And not a peep from the GOPe leadership about getting to the bottom of it. Yeah, the GOPe is really looking out for us. NOT.

Nothing will be done because the GOPe admires the benevolent dictator concept and want the precedents to stay in place for when it’s their turn to rule, if ever. And the GOPe voted to reduce the pensions of vets while leaving the civilians’ untouched. LIB

AH_C on January 13, 2014 at 11:41 PM

FloatingRock on

So quit the chamber of commerce. Join a anti-illeagal immigration advocacy group and follow their action steps.

V7_Sport on January 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM

FloatingRock on January 13, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Sorry for the repeat post, but some of your previous posts don’t really show you to be an ally of the tea party. Or reason.

V7_Sport on January 14, 2014 at 12:07 AM

V7_Sport on January 14, 2014 at 12:07 AM

You’re entitled to you opinion, but unless tea partiers take your advise and give up trying to reform DC then what I wrote in the other thread will be the only recourse left to us if the Chamber of Crony Commerce throws enough money at the primaries to defeat the tea party. If that happens I’ll be talking about the strategy in the other thread a lot after the primaries are over.

FloatingRock on January 14, 2014 at 12:24 AM

FloatingRock on January 14, 2014 at 12:24 AM

but unless tea partiers take your advise and give up trying to reform DC

Point out where I gave that advice. Do so or be known as a liar.

Sure, to no one in particular while wearing tin foil on your head and pushing a shopping cart full of cans.

V7_Sport on January 14, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Point out where I gave that advice. Do so or be known as a liar.

V7_Sport on January 14, 2014 at 12:55 AM

I don’t have to, the people who read these comments, if any are still here, are intelligent folks, they can judge for themselves. In my case, pretty much all I’ve done in these two threads is advocated reforming the GOP from within so that we can reform DC and restore our freedom, liberty and prosperity, and if that fails then we’ll have to try to reform DC from outside of the GOP. For that you have been attacking me and others who seem to have made similar points, (although I entered the conversation late). It seems to me like you don’t want to reform DC and just want people to vote for the same old captured DC insiders no matter what. I asked in the Rove thread if you have a vested interest in protecting DC and so far you haven’t given a straight answer. I’ll go back there now and check for an update.

FloatingRock on January 14, 2014 at 1:09 AM

What, Me Worry Despot?

profitsbeard on January 14, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Who in their right mind would have expected Obama’s goons in the Justice Department to charge anyone?

rplat on January 14, 2014 at 9:43 AM

V7_Sport

LOL, trolls are one thing, but *this* one is without a doubt the biggest, rawest, dumbest, flaming hemorrhoid-riddled crusty a$$hole yet to stumble in here.

Congrats, sport – you win the prize!

Midas on January 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM

With Eric “the Red” Holder at “Just Us” what other conclusion can one come too.

Dasher on January 14, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Midas on January 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I hope that felt good. You just made him look reasonable, and you made yourself look like a jackass.

fadetogray on January 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Congress should say fine.

Then cut $1 billion dollars from the IRS budget; and $2 Billion from the Treasury budget; and freeze pay for the IRS for five years.

Do it again next year.

Cut $1 billion dollars from the FBI budget; then $2 billion from the Justice Department. Again a five year freeze.

Congress has the power of the purse; use it.

patch on January 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM

fadetogray on January 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM

He (V7) looks like he needs to switch to decaf. Who made you hall monitor?

magicbeans on January 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Eric Holder is a corrupt a hole. I’m waiting for this man to get his karma.

magicbeans on January 14, 2014 at 11:15 AM

He (V7) looks like he needs to switch to decaf. Who made you hall monitor?

magicbeans on January 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Hall monitor? Did I order him stop? Did I rat on him? I was pointing to a fact about what he had said.

As to their argument, I think this dead horse has been beaten into a rug.

fadetogray on January 14, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Why are we wasting time with this thread, Chris Christy might have have blocked traffic or got a e- mail or something like that.

newportmike on January 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Except the IRS actions had a real effect on the last election.

But now that it is known what they are doing find ways to get around it.

TerryW on January 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM

YEAH, WE’RE CORRUPT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT?

RdLake on January 14, 2014 at 12:13 PM

What are the statutes of limitations on these sorts of Federal transgressions? You cannot tell me that the Run-Rules that IRS agents must abide by do not address this sort of misbehavior.
If so, then the leadership of the Stupid Party that runs the House of Representatives had better get on this and FIX IT NOW.
And no more tears Mr. Speaker. OK?

Missilengr on January 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM

A traffic jam on the GW Bridge?
That lasted hours?
Holy Shiite … HAVE ANY OF YOU BEEN ON THE I-405 in Los Angeles after some jackass mover drops a sofa in the right lane?

Traffic jam my azz. You Jersey clowns have no friggin’ clue what a REAL traffic jam is for gawdsake.

Missilengr on January 14, 2014 at 12:26 PM

sockpuppets…HA is full of them. It’s fking pathetic.

Murphy9 on January 14, 2014 at 1:12 PM

fadetogray on January 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I was being kind, nothing could be said that makes that crapweasel look reasonable, and your opinion is noted and filed appropriately.

Midas on January 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Point out where I gave that advice. Do so or be known as a liar.

V7_Sport on January 14, 2014 at 12:55 AM

FloatingRock on January 14, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Well then, these intelligent folks just saw you make a statement about my position that was not what my position is and when called on it you couldn’t back it up at all. These intelligent folks can judge you by your statements like: …” unless there is a popular 3rd party effort in response that I can support, I’ll probably be voting Democrat down the line in ’14 and ’16 hoping to eliminate the GOP.” and Edward Snowden being a “hero who exposed fascists” legalizing pot and on and on..

fadetogray

Thanks, the whole thing with Midas is because he thinks it’s a good idea to vote for democrats (out of supposed conservative principles) to hasten the collapse of the country, that ought to teach us a lesson or something.
He objects to being reminded that patriotism is a conservative principle.

V7_Sport on January 14, 2014 at 3:06 PM

and your opinion is noted and filed appropriately.

Midas on January 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM

He just made the list, huh? Lighten up, Francis.

V7_Sport on January 14, 2014 at 3:10 PM

He objects to being reminded that patriotism is a conservative principle.

V7_Sport on January 14, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I don’t completely disagree with Midas. If I have to choose between an amnesty supporting R and a D slime ball I disagree with about everything except I genuinely believe he will try to defend the American worker by stopping the invasion, I’ll vote for the D slime ball.

Does that make me a “one issue voter?” Not really. Every other issue that matters to me is dependent on stopping the ongoing massive invasion of America by impoverished socialists intent on spreading their insanity here.

fadetogray on January 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM

fadetogray

While I disagree, that is reasoned. It goes from A to B to C and stays on Earth. (I would say vote for whom you agree most with then work agains what you disagree with about their position, but whatever, I can rest assured that you won’t find this scenario with a democrat who is tougher on immigration)
What I’ve objected to is people deliberately voting for what they think is the worst to bring about the worst for the country as either a lesson or in the pipe dream that they will somehow be consulted when it’s time to rebuild the rubble. There are a lot of boy-children here who have visions of playing Red Dawn against some mythical RINO-Socialist government and advocate for the worst from their rec-room.

These folks are a good organization, I’ve been giving them money since FAIR went wobbly on the immigration issue.

V7_Sport on January 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Corrupt & Evil.

RdLake on January 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Get real people, they are asking the FBI, (Federal Bureau of Investigation) a Federal agency to investigate a Federal agency. What in your fondest dreams do you think the outcome will be? I just love it when the FBI is tasked to answer a question and their answer is, Yes, “We have had them under surveillance for years”. Now what does that mean? Have they done anything about the charge? Huh! And they get away with it!

mixplix on January 16, 2014 at 4:55 PM

No investgigation? Is ANYONE surprised?

The FBI sniper (multi-times women, babies & child killer), Lon Horiuchi remains free and collecting his fat government pension at his lesiure.

Why should anyone be surprised?

Meanwhile, G_d is supervising the punishments of Janet Inferno Reno.

Missilengr on January 17, 2014 at 11:21 AM