MSNBC to air one-hour special tonight at 11 p.m. on … Christie’s Bridgegate scandal

posted at 6:41 pm on January 13, 2014 by Allahpundit

Has MSNBC done something like this before? I’m asking earnestly. The only “special” I remember is Chris Matthews’s attack on the tea party, but of course I’d remember that one. Could be they’re doing special programming like this on, say, the NSA every other week and I’ve missed it because I haven’t watched in, oh, six or seven years. Even so, I’d be curious to see a list of other news topics that have been deemed so monumental that they warrant disrupting the schedule on a weeknight to cover. I know Fox News sets aside an hour for a particular topic from time to time too, but that usually involves a scandal implicating the White House where there’s a body count (Benghazi, Fast & Furious, etc). I don’t remember an hour devoted to taking down a national up-and-comer from the other party before he’s announced his presidential candidacy over a local scandal that he hasn’t been directly implicated in and that few people from either party seem concerned about.

But like I say, I don’t keep track day to day.

There are many questions swirling around about the ever-deepening Bridgegate scandal, and for the media, one such question is “how much is too much?”

The answer to that depends partially on who you ask, and partially on how this story evolves, but MSNBC’s All In with Chris Hayes has provided its answer by lining up a special hour, Monday night, devoted to Christie and the reporting surrounding the scandal.

All In host Chris Hayes‘ colleague Rachel Maddow was an early adopter of the Bridgegate story, but Hayes’ show has also followed the developments since before the rest of the world caught up last week, and has also tracked the Hurricane Sandy relief effort in New Jersey, now a source of speculation as other New Jersey mayors let the latest revelations marinate.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of this morning in the Rove post about Christie re-positioning himself as a victim of lefty media in order to win conservatives back. We’re nowhere near that point yet — the Bridgegate thing is still too new to conclude that he’s the hapless innocent exploited by jerky staffers and liberals bored with a slow news cycle — but at some point the sheer volume of concern-trolling from the left to try to destroy the guy on the launchpad before he runs for president will draw a backlash. In MSNBC’s defense, though, this is a rational business decision for them: While Democrats nationally don’t care much about Christie’s troubles, engaged liberals of the sort who watch this network handed Rachel Maddow a rare victory in the demo last week over Megyn Kelly at 9 p.m. They may not care about a Democratic president letting national parks be closed off needlessly to punish the GOP during the shutdown but they care a lot about a Republican governor who might very well threaten Hillary in 2016 letting bridge lanes be closed off needlessly to punish an opponent of his own. Why wouldn’t MSNBC want to seize the opportunity in viewer interest to get Hayes, one of their own up and comers, some extra airtime?

I’m tempted to say that devoting special programming to hitting a prospective election opponent is a symptom of MSNBC’s unique negativity, but I don’t know. Maybe this is just where partisan cable news is headed and soon Fox will be preempting the re-airing of O’Reilly to run three-hour explorations of Brian Schweitzer’s “dark money” trail — just in case you-know-who doesn’t run. Speaking of which, whether you watch Hayes or not, you should probably watch this:

Comments

We should have an Open Thread on it.

listens2glenn on January 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Who is that woman and why is she wearing a jacket and tie?

22044 on January 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM

And nobody will see it.

Bitter Clinger on January 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Who is that woman and why is she wearing a jacket and tie?

22044 on January 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Duh! That’s Rachel Maddow.

CurtZHP on January 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM

cmsinaz should burn the candle at both ends tonite and watch this.

22044 on January 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Uh oh. This must be a huge scandal because Chris Hayes has his big boy glasses on.

portlandon on January 13, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Good grief.

No one watches that network during prime time. Why the hell would they think an 11PM show would increase viewership? Who they going for? The 3rd shift walmart crowd?

BacaDog on January 13, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Another but lesser factor here is the tendency of New York City-based media outlets to inflate vastly anything that happens in the NYC metro area.

Robert_Paulson on January 13, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Key phrase: “in the demo”

Megyn Kelly easily beats combined MSNBC and CNN total viewers, but that stat is nowhere to be found at Mediabistro or Mediaite. Maddow only beat Kelly by about 20,000 in the demo, but Megyn got over 1 million more total viewers than Maddow.

myiq2xu on January 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Why do all the MSNBC anchors look alike?

kcewa on January 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM

You know if you stopped linking to MSNBC I bet that they would lose at least 10% of their revenue – HA is like a life line to MSNBC, a synergy for inanity.

ajacksonian on January 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

BacaDog on January 13, 2014 at 6:48 PM

That would be 8PM on the west coast – their prime viewers.

kcewa on January 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Why do all the MSNBC anchors look alike?

kcewa on January 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Dress-code … probably issued by Rachel.

listens2glenn on January 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

… and if it hadn’t been for that video on Youtube Christie never would have stormed the embassy.

Oh, wait!

viking01 on January 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Will anyone watching this show not be stoned?

22044 on January 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Death to the liberal, hypocritical, media. Surely they realize how stupid they look. Even if Christie was responsible for closing the bridge, that pales in comparison to what Obama, Reid, and Pelosi have done to this country illegally.

F_This on January 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM

As I write this the comments number sixteen. Two more than will watch that lady in a suit.

jukin3 on January 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Why do all the MSNBC anchors look alike?

kcewa on January 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Dress-code … probably issued by Rachel.

listens2glenn on January 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I figured it was cousins marrying…..

viking01 on January 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I want a Hollywood movie! Traffic Jam coming Fall 2016

Mormontheman on January 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Geeze. I wish Maddow would stop cross dressing as Chris Hayes and that her SO would quit dressing as Ed Schultz.

I need a nexium.

NoPain on January 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM

jukin3 on January 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I’m seriously thinking of watching it, for giggles.

I can handle it … my head won’t explode, or anything else.

listens2glenn on January 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM

From Wiki: Tempest in a teapot (American English), or storm in a teacup (British English), is an idiom meaning a small event that has been exaggerated out of proportion. There are also lesser known or earlier variants, such as tempest in a teacup…

Really. AYFKM?

Harbingeing on January 13, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Isn’t MSNBC kind of like the broadcast version of a ‘vanity press’ publisher?

M240H on January 13, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Why do all the MSNBC anchors look alike?

kcewa on January 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM

“Diversity,” he said with a wink and a grin.

predator on January 13, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Why do all the MSNBC anchors look alike?

kcewa on January 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Dress-code … probably issued by Rachel.

listens2glenn on January 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I figured it was cousins marrying…..

viking01 on January 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Rush is always calling them “incestuous”.

Maybe he’s onto something.

listens2glenn on January 13, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Hoping to see Hammer roll her eyes again :)

That was classic.

And hey, PMSNBC needs to bring down the GOP hopefuls early and often. Of course, they’re getting help from some of the Christie-deranged on the Right. Jeebus, we’re in for another 4 years of “progressive” leadership.

JetBoy on January 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Oh God,, another christy mugshot for qotd?

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM

How is this different from Fox News’ constant Benghazi and Fast & Furious one hour specials? Outside of the partisans, no one cares.

loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM

like I say, I don’t keep track day to day

Where christy is concerned?

Pfffft.

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM

ow is this different from Fox News’ constant Benghazi and Fast & Furious one hour specials? Outside of the partisans, no one cares. loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM

The dead bodies?

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Well, thanks Allahpundit. You put up a thread about this and now more people have read and/or posted on this thread than will watch it on PMSNBC.

Mirimichi on January 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Mirimichi on January 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Yup. I actually think more die hard cons watch msnbc than Libs. Allah is a prime example. Then again he is a liberal masquerading as a conservative.

loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:21 PM

This is a great example of exactly why obama and democrats created Christie – they had always intended to use him as a tool, and destroy him – things are working out exactly as planned, but perhaps, a bit ahead of schedule.

Pork-Chop on January 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Probably will never happen, but Maddow and her spawn are doing everything in their power to make conservatives like Christie.

Nothing can make someone look better than being attack by two impossibly annoying people, who frankly look like twins. Christie might start making up with conservatives by eating one them. That would be a good start…

William Eaton on January 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

The dead bodies?
wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Valid point. Unfortunately I doubt conservatives give a d@&m about the dead bodies in Benghazi or F&F. And even if they did which I highly doubt, they have immensely politicized the tragedies.

loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Conservatives care. And, I’m sure the families of the four dead in Benghazi and two dead, including a Border Patrol agent, from Fast and Furious care.
Liberals like yourself don’t give a fvck about anything but yourselves.

AllahsNippleHair on January 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Allah is a prime example. Then again he is a liberal masquerading as a conservative. loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I think you are AP. And nonP too. Drumming up the hit count.

Don’t blame you, it works.

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I think you are AP. And nonP too. Drumming up the hit count.

Don’t blame you, it works.

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Can’t believe someone is that ignorant? I’ll buy that.

AllahsNippleHair on January 13, 2014 at 7:31 PM

…if all the conservatives quit watching…because they like to see the train wrecks on that station….they would have no audience!

KOOLAID2 on January 13, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Why am I not disturbed?

1 The only people who watch MSNBC (aside from ‘Hot Air’ pundits) are a few scattered coke sniffers and global warming theorists and their pet iguanas.
2 Since Fatty sold us out to Obama during Sandy (and may have even facilitated “The One’s” reelection) he is dead to me.
3 The Liberals’ savage attack on Jersey Boy is an object lesson to other RINOS (including Boehner, McConnell, Rubio and Ryan) as to why it doesn’t pay to try to fit your proboscis into a liberal’s pucker hole. They will always turn on you like a snake when the opportunity presents itself..

MaiDee on January 13, 2014 at 7:35 PM

valid point. Unfortunately I doubt conservatives give a d@&m about the dead bodies in Benghazi or F&F. And even if they did which I highly doubt, they have immensely politicized the tragedies. loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:27 Pm

Brian Terry died 25 miles south of my front door. F&F. In an effort to take my guns they got folks killed.

Benghazi? I’m a Navy man. SEALS died. to run guns into Syria, they got wasted. Painting a target for a gunshup that was a no show.

Yea,,, I care.

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM

loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Whoa…

Your incredibly bad taste aside, conservatives weren’t running the show during the attack on Benghazi.

JetBoy on January 13, 2014 at 7:44 PM

loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM

What’s up, Zeke?

22044 on January 13, 2014 at 7:48 PM

22044……gonna skip it my friend…..vomit inducing

cmsinaz on January 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Funny that special report actually reported on more declassified transcripts on Benghazi….. CNN and msdnc. meh

cmsinaz on January 13, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Don’t expect record viewing for Pajamaboy Chris Hayes

RdLake on January 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM

22044……gonna skip it my friend…..vomit inducing

cmsinaz on January 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Good…!

22044 on January 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM

cmsinaz on January 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM

loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Yeah, that’s why I wear the uniform and have a left side rack of ribbons that goes seven rows deep you worthless piece shit.

M240H on January 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM

loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Don’t project your liberal sentimentalities on Conservatives.

loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

The liberal media kept a nightly body count of the dead in OIF and OEF until obama took office. War dead milestones they called them. Where are they now? Oh right, liberals only have big hearts for peace while the GOP is at war. But by God let obama set the entire Middle East on fire and what do you have. MSNBC doing a hour investigative report on TafficGate.

Your souls are black.

hawkdriver on January 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Liberals are not bored with a slow news cycle. They are determined to deal an early crippling blow to the person they perceive as the obvious front runner. And Christie is anything but hapless. That word aptly describes conservative pundits and the purists who don’t get what’s happening. If they can destroy a popular and successful governor over this petty, beneath him, nonsense where he is obviously not guilty of any wrongdoing, they can easily destroy Cruz or Paul or whomever else the GOP puts up.

Basilsbest on January 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Well, in Bridgegate, people were late for work! Oh, the humanity.

talkingpoints on January 13, 2014 at 8:19 PM

yeah, that’s why I wear the uniform and have a left side rack of ribbons that goes seven rows deep you worthless piece shit. M240H on January 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I’ll buy you and Hawkdriver a cold beer, anyday.

Don’t let the bullshite get to you.

Many of us aren’t “new skool”

We old school.

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM

All two viewers will be watching, I’m sure.

Good Lt on January 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM

loveofcountry on January 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM

The dead bodies?

wolly4321 on January 13, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Until we actually view the broadcast, we can’t know for sure what the similarities or differences are.
But knowing PMSDNC (as we do here), the accuracy will probably suffer somewhat.

listens2glenn on January 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM

@mkhammer vs. O’Reilly on weed

Reading that, I get the mental image of O’Reilly doing bong hits during the Talking Points Memo and then debating Mary Katherine. I’m assuming that’s not what happened, but I missed the 8 p.m. broadcast, so I’ll have to catch the 11 p.m. re-run.

jon1979 on January 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Basilsbest on January 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM

So what you’re telling me is that your precious party establishment doesn’t have anyone who stands a chance either. But I’m supposed to get behind them 110% anyway.

CurtZHP on January 13, 2014 at 9:20 PM

CurtZHP on January 13, 2014 at 9:20 PM

No. I’m telling you that if we don’t stop attacking each other whenever we feel like it we will never get back into power.

Basilsbest on January 13, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Good grief.

BacaDog on January 13, 2014 at 6:48 PM

That’s an insult to the 3rd shift Walmart crowd.

All PMSNBC does for me is make me dream of a world where I can choose the cable channels I want to pay for.

Myron Falwell on January 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I think their ratings would be better if they ran one of those prison shows. And can we drop the …gate description. Watergate was the name of the actual hotel. Bridgegate sounds ridiculous.

Ellis on January 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Basilsbest on January 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Isn’t it obvious that the Democrat Party pulled all their resources out of the NJ Gov race and funneled them into Terry McAwful’s campaign? They knew this existed for more than a year, and were more than willing to sit on it UNTIL his reelection, then throw the grenade after his inauguration. The Dems played the game well… not only do they have a key governorship in VA, they also mortally wounded the career of a seemingly invincible RINO and will get the seat back in four years. Maybe earlier.

This is not an endorsement of Kristie Kreme. If he had not bear-hugged Obama like he did at the worst possible time to do so, there would be an avalanche of counter-protests. Instead… nothing.

Myron Falwell on January 13, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Ellis on January 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM

The MSM can never look forward. Yes, they lean forward, but that’s a different story.

Myron Falwell on January 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I officially don’t care anymore what Christie did. msnbc cares enough for both of us.

Ronnie on January 13, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Stooooooopid.

2Tru2Tru on January 13, 2014 at 9:52 PM

…the Democrat Party pulled all their resources out of the NJ Gov race and funneled them into Terry McAwful’s campaign? They knew this existed for more than a year, and were more than willing to sit on it UNTIL his reelection, then throw the grenade after his inauguration.

Myron Falwell on January 13, 2014 at 9:44 PM

That sounds a bit much…even for Democrats. Is this a hunch, or maybe you know something I don’t?

All two viewers will be watching, I’m sure.

Good Lt on January 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM

This just in…Murray nodded off, so it’s currently at one viewer.

JetBoy on January 13, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I’d be a little more worried if anyone was going to actually watch it.

Chicost84 on January 13, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Basilsbest on January 13, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Tell it to the Chamber of Commerce.

CurtZHP on January 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM

That shows what fanatics these leftists are, to make such a fuss over the governor of one state, who isn’t even the Republican presidential nominee, as yet, and who has shown himself to be conciliatory to these Democrats, particularly Obama. Christie is getting what he deserves, however, from these people.

rickv404 on January 13, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Definition of twag.

Murphy9 on January 13, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Two cameramen, the producer, director, script supervisor, floor manager and microphone man….

That brings the audience up to a total of seven.

viking01 on January 13, 2014 at 11:03 PM

When MSNBC digs this deep into Fast and Furious or Benghazi, I will give the network credit for courage. As is, just a bunch of liberal trolls.

bartbeast on January 13, 2014 at 11:13 PM

That brings the audience up to a total of seven.

viking01 on January 13, 2014 at 11:03 PM

AP watched, that’s eight.
Don’t know about the cats./

Your souls are black.

hawkdriver on January 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Let’s call it “bridgeghazi”.

S. D. on January 14, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Ted Kennedygate sounds about right, Dems.

Iowahawk: It Is Finally Time To Exit The Oldsmobile

Christien on January 14, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Chris Hayes is Pajama Boy.

bigjack on January 14, 2014 at 8:18 AM

With only 5 viewers, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

tmgrant on January 14, 2014 at 9:12 AM

So the inmates on lockdown won’t be able to watch Lockdown?

blammm on January 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Still no MSNBC special on Benghazi?

dogsoldier on January 14, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Pretty certain its a ratings thing, With the second episode of this season’s “Justified” coming on tonight, I do not think I can force myself to watch them. Actually…I would rather watch a test pattern

Guest1.1 on January 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Oops, I guess I am a day behind. So much for that.

Guest1.1 on January 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM