Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on January 12, 2014 by Allahpundit

If what Gates tell us isn’t particularly new, it still packs a punch coming from such a highly placed, credible source. For Obama, Afghanistan is the insincere war. More than 1,500 troops have died there during his time in office—almost three times as many as under Bush —yet by early 2011 the president had lost whatever faith he had in the war, according to Gates.

In the telling of his former secretary of defense, Obama violated what should be the psychological Powell Doctrine: If you don’t believe in it, don’t fight it…

As reported in the press, Gates describes a dawning realization at a March 2011 meeting in the situation room. “As I sat there,” he writes, “I thought: The president doesn’t trust his commander, can’t stand Karzai, doesn’t believe in his own strategy and doesn’t consider the war to be his. For him, it’s all about getting out.”

This is the war that the president and other Democrats had long hailed as “the good war.”

***

“You say about President Obama that as much as you admired him on so many levels, he never really had a passion for pursuing the war in Afghanistan, and that kind of bothered you,” said Braver.

“It’s one thing to tell the troops that you support them. It’s another to work at making them believe that you believe as president that their sacrifice is worth it, that the cause is just, that what they are doing was important for the country, and that they must succeed,” said Gates. “President Bush did that with the troops when I was Secretary. I did not see President Obama do that. As I write in the book, it was this absence of passion, this absence of a conviction of the importance of success that disturbed me.”…

“You are not very flattering to Vice President Biden in this book,” said Braver.

“Actually I think I am in some areas complimentary of him,” Gates responded, “but where I had a particular problem with the vice president was in his encouragement of suspicion of the military and the senior military with the president: ‘You can’t trust these guys. They’re gonna try and jam you. They’re gonna try and box you in,’ and so on. And that did disturb me a lot.”

***

On Nov. 27, the day after Thanksgiving, the president called me at my home in the Pacific Northwest for a long talk. He was fine with the 30,000 troops, with flexibility “in the range of 10%” for additional enablers, but he wouldn’t agree to the requests for 4,500 enablers unrelated to the new deployments that had been stacking up on my desk for more than two months. He said that pushed the total number to 37,000. The president asked me to return to Washington early for a meeting with him, Mullen and Petraeus to make sure they were on board. “I’m tired of negotiating with the military,” he said.

That Sunday meeting was unlike any I ever attended in the Oval Office. Obama said he had gathered the group principally to go through his decisions one more time to determine whether Mullen and Petraeus were fully on board. The commanders said what he wanted to hear, and I was pleased to hear my proposal being adopted.

Then came an exchange that is seared into my memory. Biden said he was ready to move forward, but the military “should consider the president’s decision as an order.”

“I am giving an order,” Obama quickly said.

I was shocked. I had never heard a president explicitly frame a decision as a direct order. With the U.S. military, it is completely unnecessary. As secretary of defense, I had never issued an “order” to get something done; nor had I heard any commander do so. Obama’s “order,” at Biden’s urging, demonstrated the complete unfamiliarity of both men with the American military culture.

***

Obama did something else Gates had never seen in his long service, he writes — micromanage national security generally, and the Pentagon specifically, to a maddening degree. Inside, Gates was furious. Outside, no one knew.

“I never confronted Obama directly over what I (as well as [Hillary] Clinton, [CIA director Leon] Panetta and others) saw as the president’s determination that the White House tightly control every aspect of national security policy and even operations,” Gates writes. “His White House was by far the most centralized and controlling in national security of any I had seen since Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger ruled the roost.”

Of course, the White House should call the big plays, Gates writes, but he was infuriated by the degree of what he saw as meddling — and so, he says, was Clinton.

For a National Security Council member to call a four-star combatant commander or field commander “would have been unthinkable when I worked at the White House and probably cause for dismissal,” Gates writes. “It became routine under Obama. I directed commanders to refer such calls to my office. The controlling nature of the Obama White House, and its determination to take credit for every good thing that happened while giving none to the people in the cabinet departments — in the trenches — who had actually done the work, offended Hillary Clinton as much as it did me.”

***

“I don’t think we can ignore what’s in that book, and I think, for many of us, it confirms our worst fears,” [Marco Rubio] said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” “You saw that reflected in the decision that [Obama] made. At the same time that he announced the surge, he also announced an exit date and strategy, thereby emboldening the Taliban to believe they could wait us out.”

“This is an administration full of people that either have the wrong convictions, or, in the case of former Secretary [Hillary] Clinton, lacked the courage of her convictions,” Rubio added, referring to comments by Gates…

“And the result is now evident across the globe. Our allies see us as unreliable and our enemies feel emboldened,” Rubio added. “And I think that this confirms our worst fears, that this is an administration that lacks a strategic foreign policy and, in fact, is largely driven by politics and tactics.”

***

So: It’s the fall of 2010, and Gates is meeting with the president and top brass. “Biden, Mullen, Jones, Donilon, Brennan, and Tony Blinken, the vice president’s national security adviser, were there.” The subject: how to be ready if a conflict between Iran and Israel ignites. Gates worries that the particulars have not thought the scenario through, and advises the president to deploy a second aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf soon, just in case. The meeting ends.

“I was put off by the way the president closed the meeting. To his very closest advisers, he said, ‘For the record, and for those of you writing your memoirs, I am not making any decisions about Israel or Iran. Joe, you be my witness.’ I was offended by his suspicion that any of us would ever write about such sensitive matters.”

Yes, what would give the president that idea?

***

“He’s obviously very frustrated—which surprised all of us who know him—and he’s decided to really let loose,” McCain said of Gates, whose forthcoming memoir Duty provoked cable news controversy this week.

“But was it appropriate?” host Candy Crowley asked of the timing of the book.

“I think, frankly, if I would have been giving him advice, I would have waited,” McCain replied. “As far as waiting until it is over in Afghanistan, I wouldn’t have done that. But maybe, a retrospect of a little longer than now. But I also respect his ability to voice his views any time he wants to.”

***

“There’s a sense of betrayal. I just don’t like the fact that anybody who is privy to a private conversation in the Oval Office … goes and repeats in public a private conversation that he heard,” [Ari] Fleischer told “The Steve Malzberg Show” on Newsmax TV…

“He could’ve, if he wanted to, said ‘I always suspected Hillary’s opposition was political’ … He could’ve done all of that without giving the verbatim quote,” Fleischer said…

***

“I do find that it’s somewhat distasteful and I always thought Bob Gates was really among our political elites. He served eight presidents so if anyone’s a political elite, he is,” Lowry told “The Steve Malzberg Show.”

“I always thought he was the most old-school and the most stand-up of any of them, but here he is saying that he’s on the verge of resigning multiple times because he’s so appalled by various things but he doesn’t quit.”…

“He just keeps notes for his memoir which he pushes out the door as quick as possible to maximize sales,” Lowry said.

***

“Some Gates insiders have told me this book was essentially ready before the 2012 election. Gates made a deliberate decision to delay his publication until well after the election so as not to have the incendiary charges intrude into the election,” Rove said on “Fox News Sunday.” “I think that is a statement about his character,” he added.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Broncos!

Gingotts on January 12, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Lanceman!

Lanceman on January 12, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Bogus.

Lanceman on January 12, 2014 at 8:04 PM

This is gonna be a bad week for Obama. Good.

By the way, is anyone watching the A-Roid documentary on 60 Minutes?

22044 on January 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Unfortunately if the old stuff in this book had any interest to me, Gates lost it when he refused to state outright this morning that Hillary would be an absolute disaster as President. Forget trying to dodge criticism; it’s coming anyway. He has to know from his time there that she’s an embarrassment beyond politicizing her Iraq war votes.

Gingotts on January 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM

22044 on January 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM

0bama is president and living the good life with plenty of sycophants to lick his nether regions to sooth his “not great’ times. The press will defend him forever and democrats will sacrifice themselves for their messiah.

This will not be a bad week for 0bama, unless the holes on every golf course in the world disappear.

A-Roid who?

cozmo on January 12, 2014 at 8:09 PM

This surprises no one, does it? It’s the same thing as democrats saying they want to win: the war on poverty, the war on women, the war on blacks…blah, blah, blah

SouthernGent on January 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM

22044 on January 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM

What are they saying about A-Rod?

kcewa on January 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Any republican, or Republican appointee who even considered staying or serving under this ‘child’ is a complete fool, and thus has little credence in my book. It would be tantamount to taking orders from the likes of Cynthia McKinney or Corrine Brown.

Lanceman on January 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM

If Gates was so appalled at what Obama was doing, then he should have told the truth and shamed the devil. (That old saying is appropriate in more ways than one).

His first duty was to his country. If Obama was so out of bounds, then Gates should have had the guts and honor to publicly call him out—long before election 2012.

Fleischer is wrong. The only betrayal to be concerned about is betrayal of country. And the main distaste is that Gates waited this long to publish the book.

And that statement about his character isn’t very flattering.

INC on January 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM

What are they saying about A-Rod?

kcewa on January 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Apparently they’re going to reveal some juicy details of the investigation, including an interview with the owner of Biogenesis who personally injected him with drugs.

22044 on January 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM

By the way, is anyone watching the A-Roid documentary on 60 Minutes?

22044 on January 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM

With the pre-game programming for Downton Abbey? Not bloody likely!

Happy Nomad on January 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM

A-Roid who?

cozmo on January 12, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I agree with your first point 100%.

But a narcissist psychopath like Obama – that adoration and lifestyle isn’t good enough – when the big story will be the revelations of Gates’ book – piling on the continued disaster of O-No-Care.

22044 on January 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM

A very tired twerp.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Lanceman!

Lanceman on January 12, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Settle down tall dude

DarkCurrent on January 12, 2014 at 8:16 PM

I wonder if the racial demographics of the soldier deaths in Afghanistan has changed since Obama took office. He might prefer to protect some favored demographic groups ( the ones who vote for him ) while sending other groups to their deaths, since he doesn’t believe in the mission. He’d try to get whatever benefit he could out of it, I suspect.

Buddahpundit on January 12, 2014 at 8:16 PM

A very tired twerp.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Get some sleep.

listens2glenn on January 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Got I wish getalife were here to tell us the adults were in charge.

Lanceman on January 12, 2014 at 8:19 PM

*God

Lanceman on January 12, 2014 at 8:19 PM

“But was it appropriate?” host Candy Crowley asked of the timing of the book.

“I just don’t think it’s good for the office of the presidency if presidents have to wonder if every single conversation they have, even with just two people in the Oval Office, is going to turn into fodder for someone’s future book. Not helpful for the country.” Ari Fleisher

But it’s appropriate and helpful for the country to print every story the the administration leaks as if it was true and unbiased?

kcewa on January 12, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Well, off to take care of a few tasks and get ready for Monday. Maybe I’ll check back in. Have a good night everybody!

22044 on January 12, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Get some sleep.

listens2glenn on January 12, 2014 at 8:18 PM

This is my Friday-so i can actually stay up.
I’ve been working 1st shift, and it’s been kicking my butt. I get up @ 0330 on work days.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM

And that statement about his character isn’t very flattering.

INC on January 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM

was going to say the same thing

dmacleo on January 12, 2014 at 8:23 PM

LOL. This was already long after Barky had rejected the Pentagon’s strategic review of Afghanistan – which Barky had ordered – based on the silly notion that it took 6 months for the review to be completed and, therefore, was rendered obsolete as conditions on the ground had changed (which Barky knew, evidently, but the Pentagon was blissfully ignorant of, as Barky’s story went, even though Barky hadn’t even spoken to MacChrystal ONCE in that whole time and finally ended up meeting him in a bathroom in Germany for 10 minutes because even the MSM couldn’t spin that part of the story away) … so Barky rejected all proposals out of hand and re-ordered the same exact review be done again … which took over 4 months and killed a fighting season, after which Barky just rejected all recommendations and made up his own numbers … because the 84 IQ dog-eating retard just knows that much about everything.

And Gates was at the helm of Defense through all of this obvious BS done to intentionally stall our war effort and harm American strategy and interests … but it wasn’t until March of 2011 that Gates was confronted with his “dawning realization”? Okey doke. I knew Gates was a POS from the beginning – as I wrote many times back then.

Washington is just infested with morons, criminals, retards, America-haters and over-all douchebags of the highest order. They all deserve to be jailed with HARD LABOR just digging holes and filling them back up. Year after year after year (for those who aren’t found guilty of treason, at least).

This book of Gates is a total joke. He backed the America-hating Indonesian retard up the whole time and carried out Barky’s anti-American policies without a peep. They should all go to hell (after their decades of hard labor).

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM

This is my Friday-so i can actually stay up.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Well, … then by all means, take your shoes off, sit back, prop your feet up, … and converse !

listens2glenn on January 12, 2014 at 8:26 PM

And that statement about his character isn’t very flattering.

INC on January 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Bingo. It’s an indictment of Gates’ character.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2014 at 8:27 PM

“But was it appropriate?” host Candy Crowley asked of the timing of the book.

kcewa on January 12, 2014 at 8:19 PM

During the 2012 Presidential debates, Candy Crowley put down her bucket of fried chicken long enough to wave a transcript and claim it said something it did not.

Who the hell is this media whore to question the appropriateness about anything? Once you jump the shark you can’t ask that question.

Happy Nomad on January 12, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Obama laughs at such wet noodle attacks by a “Bush appointee“.

Bush is the absolution of all Barry’s sins.

Barry, our Three Card Monte-In-Chief, chuckles all the way to the 18th hole.

The word Bush is his Get Out of Everything card.

profitsbeard on January 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Bush is the absolution of all Barry’s sins.

profitsbeard on January 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Well said.

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Nothing is his. Not the war in Afghanistan and not anything about US policy. He identifies only with the civil rights movement and the “People’s History” of Howard Zinn.

kcewa on January 12, 2014 at 8:46 PM

To anyone not closing the eyes of his mind and keeping them shut by force, this is the ‘bottom line’ ‘take away’ – Bush actually believed in the stupid “mission” there, so his quilt is tantamount to involuntary manslaughter. Obama never did believe in it so his guilt is tantamount to premeditated cold blooded first degree murder of American troops.

VorDaj on January 12, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Twerp must not log out. It will crash the server.

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I’m making a wooden bucket for Axie baby.

Maybe merm can use her router to smooth off certain parts of his head to make it fit the bucket.

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Twerp must not log out. It will crash the server.

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Good thing that I’m still here then-ain’t it.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

And that statement about his character isn’t very flattering.

INC on January 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM

It’s quite similar to an eye witness stepping forward to report what he saw after an innocent man has been executed or a guilty man has been set free and left the country. A ‘little’ late now.

VorDaj on January 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Yep. We need to make sure cozmo does get to ballzy for his britches.

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Too ballsy

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM

INC on January 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Bush43 could really pick losers, couldn’t he?

bw222 on January 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Gates, on the other hand, demonstrates a complete unfamiliarity with U.S. military history. Example:

Lincoln’s Executive Order – General War Order No. 1 (January 27, 1862).

Tired of waiting for his generals to move against the Confederacy, Lincoln ordered McClellan, Halleck, and Buell to advance “against the insurgent forces” with their respective Armies of the Potomac, the soon-to-be-Army of Tennessee (Grant, under Halleck), and the Cumberland, on George Washington’s birthday, February 22, 1862.

Lincoln further added: “That the Heads of Departments, and especially the Secretaries of War and of the Navy, with all their subordinates; and the General-in Chief, with all other commanders and subordinates, of Land and Naval forces, will severally be held to their strict and full responsibilities, for the prompt execution of this order.”

Plenty to be shocked about with Obama, but not sure his issuing a direct order to a general makes the grade. Historically speaking, anyway.

de rigueur on January 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Too late.

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Ditto

cozmo on January 12, 2014 at 9:08 PM

A-Rod should have hired notorious Judge Jean Boyd.

Then he could be batting, signing autographs and even dealing with 4 Scot free cards left on credit should he decide he needs to whack a few people.

viking01 on January 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM

1. Obama is a Democrat.

2. It is what Democrats do.

3. Gates did not have to write this book for any one with a brain to know what Obama/Democrats would do to American Fighting Men.

4. LBJ

5. Carter

6. Clinton

7. Example: LBJ in the war room, drinking beer, taking B-52′s from the field commanders targets and sending them while in flight to targets LBJ selected “late”.
Example: The raid on the combinded “VC/NVA headqts. just over in Cambodia, LBJ takes some of the needed B-52′s off to one of his ideas,, the bombing just stirs up the ant bed,, the bomb damage assessment team (which was already in flight) ends up landing a team after the raid only to be cut off over run and many of the team killed and Sgt. Jerry Michael Shriver of (SOG) gets taken and where he is still unknown. (Thanks to then Senator (Democrat) John F. Kerry and the MIA/POW committee.

8. To think the commie/progressive/Democrat Party will ever do the right thing is to join in the evil.

10.
The last two are things known to them and the msm which is hidden from U.S..

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 12, 2014 at 9:12 PM

“I am giving an order,” Obama quickly said.

Oh come on Gates, haven’t you ever seen a war movie? Obviously, Barry has.

Akzed on January 12, 2014 at 9:14 PM

ObamaCare. Because IRS agents can make more money playing doctor.

Humans will suffer.

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Bush43 could really pick losers, couldn’t he?

bw222 on January 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM

You stole my thought. W. sure had a hard time picking friends that didn’t stab him in the back later.

When did anyone hear of Clinton or Carter being stabbed in the back by one of their appointees?

Lanceman on January 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Oh come on Gates, haven’t you ever seen a war movie? Obviously, Barry has.

Akzed on January 12, 2014 at 9:14 PM

O’Barky bases his CINC persona upon Crittendon of Hogan’s Heroes and Captain Queeg of The Caine Mutiny.

viking01 on January 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of Gilligan to Jarret’s skippy skipper.

cozmo on January 12, 2014 at 9:22 PM

cozmo on January 12, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I don’t know how sparky jumped in on a viking quote.

Sparky! quit spankin’ up the works.

cozmo on January 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM

“I am giving an order,” Obama quickly said.

Gates’ book is appropriately named. I often wondered how he could just sit there taking “orders” from the likes of Al Sharpton in Armani.

Key West Reader on January 12, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Too all you physics pikers.

If I follow around a bunch of smokin Hotties in a relativistic sense is it equivalent to them following me around?

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Too all you physics pikers.

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Only if space-time has positive curvature, as we can assume the hotties do.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM

As a professional piker, I’m qualified to answer your question.

If you are infinite mass — yes.

Accepting that hotties move at the speed of light and can never be caught. Which is, I think, an observable fact.

Except for my Sophie.

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM

“I am giving an order,” Obama quickly said.

Obama is a Eunich. Everyone knows. Including Putin, and apparently Bob Gates.

I don’t know…. Why didn’t he resign in protest vs. taking honors from Obama?

I don’t know what to think of this book to be honest.

Key West Reader on January 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Only if space-time has positive curvature, as we can assume the hotties do.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Aw damn, I missed a “curve” deal. :) That’s perfect.

OK, you’re head piker.

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM

If you are infinite mass — yes.

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Haven’t we had enough of Christie threads?? :)

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2014 at 9:40 PM

OK, you’re head piker.

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Heh. I’ve been called worse :)

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2014 at 9:41 PM

He thinks Zero’s narcissistic and political — shocka! — and Killery is brilliant and wonderful. Screw him. He’s part of the problem. As far as I’m concerned, anyone who served in this regime will never be someone who served with honor. Quite the opposite, in fact. Perhaps he has a sense of history, has a sense of how history will see this time, and he wants his mea culpa out there. Whatever. He carried the sword for an evil man. He’ll have to live with it.

Rational Thought on January 12, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 9:37

the Sophie postulate is an ad hoc attempt to discombobulate and fubar my calculus.

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I’ll MERM you!

Lanceman on January 12, 2014 at 9:57 PM

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Sophie is the “wtf!” moment on the mobius strip, the eye staring through the last pink pixel of the image of the image of the image taken by the infinitely recursing camera — she’s the smiling corner of the dozing dragon’s mouth, the clear drop that isn’t water falling from the storm cloud. Sophie is the order of chaos.

Her skin is corn silk and her breath is strawberries.

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM

By waiting until after the 2012 election to publish this book, or at least go public with the damning facts about Obama before the election, Gates has enabled or caused the very sacrifices of our heroes in battle to go for naught. Obama’s re-election has and is leading to AQ’s and the Taliban’s resurgence in Iraq and Afghanistan, given his retreat orders, something Gates full well knew would happen if Obama got re-elected.

A patriot in the office in which Gates was honored to serve would’ve resigned, particularly after learning what he did, and gone public with the reasons why … BEFORE the re-election of what he knew full well was a traitor and enemy of the country and its troops.

Shame on you, Gates. Shame on you. I hope you sleep well knowing that your decision to delay outing Obama, when it would’ve mattered, has caused further death among our troops and, just as bad, turned the Mid-East into a powder keg from which there may be no return.

You had the power, you had the chance, you had the most unique opportunity to stop the carnage of troops and country, yet you waited. You waited …

TXUS on January 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Got I wish getalife were here to tell us the adults were in charge.

Lanceman on January 12, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Only if you change her diaper…

OmahaConservative on January 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM

TXUS on January 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Anybody who could have been swayed by gates was not going to vote for 0bama any way.

Romney was wrong about the 47%. The percentage of leeches in this country is closer to 50%. If illegals were counted, that percentage would be higher.

The only recourse we have now is to reduce that number. Or Franklin will have been proven right.

cozmo on January 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Broncos!

Gingotts on January 12, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Enjoy this coming week, as it’s the final week of the Broncos’ season. Manning had a below-average QB rating today (93.5). Rivers had a 115+.

On the other hand, last night Tom Brady had a 78. something QB rating. But he and his team scored almost twice as many points as Manning and his team did today, in far worse weather.

(Ducks for cover behind LeGarrette Blount)

Del Dolemonte on January 12, 2014 at 10:12 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Spot on. A total pleasure to read. Thank you.

kim roy on January 12, 2014 at 10:16 PM

VorDaj on January 12, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Really, really stupid statement.

Probably one of your most stupid.

But not at all unexpected…considering…

(Why do you find it necessary to copy and paste that stupid post over and over?)

Solaratov on January 12, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Its a scandal a week with Obama.

Keep the Scandal-Naming-Machine warmed up and running.

faraway on January 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM

We need to get out of Afghanistan.

Now someone will yell…..9-11!!!!!

Well it is time someone lay down the truth of 9-11. It happened because:

(1) The CIA and FBI do not talk to each other, and they still don’t talk to each other.

(2) Because we let Muslims into the country without properly vetting them, which also still happens.

(3) Because we stupidly thought Saudi Arabia and Pakistan were the good guys, they definitely are not and still today are not.

Now how is staying in Afghanistan going clear up nos. 1 to 3? What is the strategy?…We fight them over there so they can immigrate to America?

Shoot I get it now…No wonder McCain likes staying there for 100 years, it all makes sense now.

William Eaton on January 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM

cozmo on January 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM

What I’m saying is that if Gates had outed Obama before the 2012 election, I think a couple of million voters who stayed home, which is the only reason Obama won, would’ve gotten off their asses to vote the bastard out. No, they and we wouldn’t have been that happy with Romney, for a lot of reasons, but at least we would not have had Obama for four more freaking years.

TXUS on January 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM

de rigueur on January 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM

It’s somewhat doubtful that Gates was there to hear Lincoln issue his “order”.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Solaratov on January 12, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Bleh

donkichi on January 12, 2014 at 10:24 PM

So what happens tomorrow?

Does scotus squash barky?

I’m not up to speed. Wish Sophie was here to explain it all.

wolly4321 on January 12, 2014 at 10:25 PM

The other night TXUS said that Gates doesn’t need the higher pension. Why did he wait until now then?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Not to forget Hillary and just about every general and brass who was there or still is.

Now, to Hell with all of them.

Schadenfreude on January 12, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Did someone want to merm me?

Anyhow Axe stole the pink pixel idea from me after I revised the version I stole from him. He should only be able to steal back the original version because that is what I stole.

He is profjting from my theft. Not fair.

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 9:37

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 9:47 PM

No … I better not ask. I probably wouldn’t understand, anyway.

listens2glenn on January 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Often the head piker is a hoser as well.

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Del, the saga continues.

Schadenfreude on January 12, 2014 at 10:30 PM

listens2glenn on January 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Get the fuming tent. We have our prisoner perp at 9:37

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 10:31 PM

That Gates hung on was all I needed to know. Although it didn’t pan out like I thought. I expected him to be more of a scapegoat. At the time it seemed his likely purpose.

Still might come t pass. Once barkys history writers revise.

wolly4321 on January 12, 2014 at 10:36 PM

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 10:31 PM

not now Kato..!!

going2mars on January 12, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Bleh

donkichi on January 12, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Yup

Key West Reader on January 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Wow. Multiple wide-awake A-games. On a Sunday night?

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM

TXUS on January 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I know many of those non-voters. Spent yesterday shooting with some.

They are hard headed idiots who think the only way out of our current situation is for things to go completely to heII.

They are stocking up in bunkers waiting for the day things fall apart.

Gates could have personally briefed them and it wouldn’t have changed their minds.

cozmo on January 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM

(Ducks for cover behind LeGarrette Blount)

Del Dolemonte on January 12, 2014 at 10:12 PM

LeGarrette was already a Duck, so ducking behind a Duck is some sort of recursive move?

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 12, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM

id like to not have to go to court when SP get carried away
with his shiny new fuming tent….
I can here him now when he’s downtown…”oh g2m gave me the idea”..

going2mars on January 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Schadenfreude on January 12, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Yes, Gates is already richer than God and was, long before becoming 43′s SecDef. Which again begs the question as to why did he wait until after the 2012 election.

Yes, I think a good part of it was his concern about who Obama would appoint in his place should he go public and resign at that time, also thinking that somehow he could play the bureaucratic mechanism enough to overcome the Obama problem. A fools errand, as he finally learned.

That said, if he had balled up and gone public before the election, he could have brought Obama down and given the country a new Commander in Chief, come 2013. His dilatoriness, alas, has caused far more problems than probably Gates even imagined.

Hence, the book, Gates’s transparent attempt to separate his legacy from failure. I don’t think it’s going to work, and I know our troops and the families of the dead as the result of his inaction aren’t going to buy it at all.

TXUS on January 12, 2014 at 10:46 PM

In other news …

“Has Been” establishment Republican cashes in and writes a book throwing stones at Democratic President which will never hit their mark and his party will never do anything about.

HondaV65 on January 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Snowden Documents Proving “US-Alien-Hitler” Link Stun Russia

This from the Iranian News Agency FARS.

In Snowden’s own words, this report continues, he outlined to Greenwald the reason for his highly secretive group obtaining and releasing these documents by warning that that there “were actually two governments in the US, the one that was elected, and the other, secret regime, governing in the dark.”

As to who is running this “secret regime” Snowden and his cohorts were warning about, FSB experts in this report say, was confirmed this past weekend by former Canadian defense minister Paul Hellyer who was given access to all of Snowden’s documents by Russian intelligence services and stated they were, indeed, “accurate.”

Even though Defense Minister Hellyer’s exact statements to the FSB in regards to Snowden’s documents remain classified, shortly after his “extensive electronic interview” by the FSB he was allowed to appear on Russia Today’s program SophieCo this past fortnight where he shockingly admitted that aliens have “been visiting our planet for thousands of years” and described several types of these extraterrestrials, including “Tall Whites” who are working with the US Air Force in Nevada.

kcewa on January 12, 2014 at 10:49 PM

For the lazy idiotic welfare queens agitator from Chicago the Presidency is about agitating the parasites against the producers, attacking his Republican enemies, giving empty speeches, getting adored by moronic supporters and liberal media, hanging out with the Hollywood crowd and other limousine liberals, playing golf , and taking very expensive vacation… He does not give a damn about governing because he does not know how to do it and he does not want to do it because it… He never understood what does it mean to be President and commander in chief… He is by far the most incompetent President in the history of the Republic… The man is not fit to be a dog catcher in the smallest town in America but unfortunately he was elected twice by bringing the largest number of parasites to vote for him…

mnjg on January 12, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Pro forma should be re-defined. Jet age, technology.

That being said,, it hasn’t been.

It’s but a sliver of the lawlessness of dogeater. I’ll take it should it swing our way. Maybe we get lucky and scotus decides to assert some authority.

wolly4321 on January 12, 2014 at 10:50 PM

H/t:

To going2mars for the fuming tent idea.

BTW,

G2M
M9
L2G
B9
KA2
and R2D2 are witnesses.

SparkPlug on January 12, 2014 at 10:52 PM

cozmo on January 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Yeah, there are a lot of those folks would’ve stayed home, given Romney as a choice, but I’m talking also about a lot of indies who decided to sit on the couch, who this kind of stuff would’ve made a difference to, had Gates not waited to go public. The soft Rs and the indies did stay home, and to me that’s what Gates gave us through his decision to wait.

TXUS on January 12, 2014 at 10:54 PM

This is gonna be a bad week for Obama. Good.

22044 on January 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Who? I’m sorry, I was looking for more of this earth-shattering traffic cone scandal, what else could there possibly be to talk about? /

Midas on January 12, 2014 at 10:56 PM

No … I better not ask. I probably wouldn’t understand, anyway.

listens2glenn on January 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Understanding is an illusion created by a pause in the question stream. You mustn’t pause. You must run, arms flailing and eyes wide open, into the unknown Weird.

Stand on the cliff’s edge and see the black sea — and be unable to scream.

For example:

. . . where he shockingly admitted that aliens have “been visiting our planet for thousands of years” and described several types of these extraterrestrials, including “Tall Whites” who are working with the US Air Force in Nevada.

kcewa on January 12, 2014 at 10:49 PM

^ That just happened.

And since it’s Iranian news, it must be true.

Or is it?

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 10:57 PM

… mnjg on January 12, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Depends on your perspective. To you and I,, what you say is accurate.

But we aren’t steeped in Cloward and Piven, Prairie fire, liberation theology,

We don’t think like Ayers. He does.

It’s working. He’s suceeding.

wolly4321 on January 12, 2014 at 11:00 PM

To Jackie,

Hope you’re okay. Need a sit-rep, if it pleases you. ;-)

TXUS

TXUS on January 12, 2014 at 11:01 PM

And since it’s Iranian news, it must be true.

Or is it?

Axe on January 12, 2014 at 10:57 PM

What is true is that it was reported on their semi-official news agency. That *maybe* says something about the type of people we’re signing treaties with?

kcewa on January 12, 2014 at 11:04 PM