The first big-name Republican to attack Christie over Bridgegate is … Lindsey Graham? Update: Graham “clarifies”

posted at 6:41 pm on January 9, 2014 by Allahpundit

Perfectly rational in one sense, deeply surprising in another. And not just for the obvious “RINO versus RINO” reasons.

How the heck did Rand Paul lose the “bash Christie” sweepstakes to Lindsey Graham?

“It seems to me that this whole bridge thing reinforces a narrative that’s troublesome about the guy, he’s kind of a bully,” Graham told NBC News on Thursday on Capitol Hill, referring to the scandal over land closures on the George Washington Bridge that’s engulfed Christie over the past two days…

“If anybody in my office had done such a thing, they knew what their fate would be cause I’m not that kind a guy,” Graham said. “I just don’t see how people that close to him could have felt comfortable enough to do this if they thought their boss wasn’t of this mindset. Isn’t that just common sense?”…

“I think he’s going to have a hard time in the South, I really do. The edge is part of it. You know, he’s a little too slick by half,” Graham said.

He added: “I think the problem he’s going to have in the South is against the view of his actual positions because it’s hard for me to understand what he’s for and what he’s against on the social side.”

Exactly what I would have expected from Paul, not John McCain’s sidekick — especially after McCain named Christie first a few days ago on “The Tonight Show” when asked which Republicans he likes for 2016. When reporters finally cornered Paul on Bridgegate today, in fact, he muttered something about how much he hates being stuck in traffic and left it there. Was there some sort of Paul/Christie detente over the holidays that I missed? Or some low-grade Graham/Christie feud that no one’s been paying attention to?

The rational explanation is that Graham’s worried about a primary challenge this spring and can’t resist an opportunity to put the boots to the base’s second-least favorite RINO. But even so, that’s … not so rational. The conservative indictment against Graham is so long, and his partnership with the base’s least favorite RINO so well known, that it’s hard to believe he thought he could buy any cred by taking a few easy shots at Christie. On the contrary, according to the New York Times back in November, Christie reportedly told South Carolina Republicans after he was elected chairman of the Republican Governors Association that he wanted to go to South Carolina and campaign for Graham even though he’s running for Senate. That made perfect sense — Christie wants to ingratiate himself with the establishment down there before 2016 and Graham wants a vote of confidence from a big-name up-and-coming Republican to counter the daily attacks by tea partiers. Combining to quash a challenge from the right would be a feather in both of their establishment caps. And they’re natural allies on immigration and foreign policy, with Christie set to carry the pro-NSA, pro-interventionist McCain/Graham banner into battle against their mutual nemesis Paul in 2016.

If Graham’s willing to throw all that away for a little quick-and-easy piling on, it must be because he’s utterly convinced that Christie’s more of a liability in South Carolina than he is an asset. And he came to that conclusion, I assume, before Bridgegate, not after: No one thinks a scandal about New York traffic in which Christie hasn’t been directly implicated is so poisonous that it would completely transform his chances down south overnight. Say what you want about Grahamnesty, but he must have a decent read on the pulse of his home state to get elected repeatedly despite his reputation for RINOism. Maybe Christie’s 2016 odds are longer than we thought.

Update: Annnnnd, just like that:

Update: He must have gotten quite the scolding from Maverick:

“I finally got to see portions of the news conference. I’m very impressed with the contrite nature in taking responsibility. In today’s political environment it was a breath of fresh air and I think he handled it as well as he could,” Graham told CNN.

“It was very impressive,” he continued. “I don’t know the guy that well. The allegations, they’re not well, but I just watched it for 15-20 minutes and I’m very impressed. He took every question, didn’t dodge, I think he went a long way to helping himself today.”

Comments

Update: Annnnnd, just like that:

Want some syrup to go with that waffle?

ThePrez on January 9, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Krispy wasn’t receptive back during the campaign when Linseed offered his support in exchange for a candlelight dinner and a private nightcap after; it’s payback time.

Bishop on January 9, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Well, he does have a point there.

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Hmm. Second look at Christie?

rrpjr on January 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Update: Annnnnd, just like that:

McCain must have scolded Graham pretty good.

portlandon on January 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Ok, briefly this time, 2 minutes of Christie on global warming climate change enthusiastically going to bat for the leftists, sounds like John Kerry, yes, even Lindsey Graham doesn’t go there:

anotherJoe on January 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I think he’s going to have a hard time in the South

So will you, Dipstick.

forest on January 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Go to Drudge for poll concerning the establishment candidate, Christie.

mobydutch on January 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Bwaahahah!

chimney sweep on January 9, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Congrats AP. Mark Levin called you a good writer!

Brat on January 9, 2014 at 6:50 PM

As far as this goes, this is the few “Right” things Christie has done while in office.

As such, i repeat: he can *try* to run as a R or a I, but that doesn’t mean he’ll get the nod.

BlaxPac on January 9, 2014 at 6:51 PM

bwahahahaha!!! He’s done for sure. Nothing good comes from getting Miss Lindsey’s scorn or endorsement. Oh wait. That’s good in itself.

DanMan on January 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Exactly… He is a mean, selfish, rude, back stabber, bully… This crappy character may be attractive in New Jersey but it is a huge turn off in most of the country…

mnjg on January 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Look anywhere except at what they are getting ready to jamb down our throats.
Better learn Spanish.

Mimzey on January 9, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I hope Nancy loses in the primary.

MTF on January 9, 2014 at 6:53 PM

If Christie knew and it can be proved he just buried himself. I suspect he did not just bury himself.

CWchangedhisNicagain on January 9, 2014 at 6:53 PM

UGH, left out the important bits…fixed.

As far as this goes, this is the few “Right” things Christie has done while in office…ie firing the dumb-asses that did the traffic runaround.

BlaxPac on January 9, 2014 at 6:53 PM

” TroubleSome”
==============

Chris Christie
1h

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-SC, says bridge controversy reinforces ‘troublesome’ rap on New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie – @NBCNews
read more on nbcnews.com

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Update: He must have gotten quite the scolding from Maverick:

I am sure he did.

“Bad, BAD Graham! You go back out there and tell them the real truth about how I… errr.. You feel!”

upinak on January 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Christie is delusional if he thinks that he can win the Republican primaries in 2016… In addition that he is the most liberal candidate ever much more so than McCain or Romney, he is just a very rude ugly bully…

mnjg on January 9, 2014 at 6:55 PM

GrahamCracker has a wee bit of UnMittigated Gall Thingy!!

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Bishop on January 9, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Hee!

rottenrobbie on January 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM

MeanWhile,..another RINO chimes in:

Burgess Everett ‏@burgessev 4h

.@SenJohnMcCain says @GovChristie is still viable in 2016. “He’s been an excellent governor in a Democrat state”

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Seems like RINO’s bump heads before they hump.

KMav on January 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Graham looks even more foolish than usual for blasting away so precipitously.

INC on January 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM

The motto of the political class: You and me against the world.

thatsafactjack on January 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM

upinak on January 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Hey stranger! How you been?

portlandon on January 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM

MSM in Full GOP News Frontal Assault:

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 28m

It’s the Christie apology and damage control across-the-board as the lead story on the network evening newscasts.

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Rand Paul attacks Christie over substantive policy differences (like pork), not petty politics. If it turns out that Christie’s staff actually did this on purpose for the purpose of retribution, fair enough. But, in the absence of that, attacking Christie only plays into Christie-style petty politics that Rand Paul tried to avoid by calling for a beer (and that Christie rejected).

besser tot als rot on January 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM

The fact this is a scandal at all is ludicrous.

changer1701 on January 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I started out today not a fan of CC. Watching his presser, I kinda started liking the guy. Now with Mrs. Graham, I like CC more. I got a feeling it’s 1998 all over again. I think the dims,as were the gop in 1998, will rue the day they open this can of worms. Shrillary must have watch CC performance today and threw a lamp at the tube.

rik on January 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Seems like RINO’s bump heads before they hump.

KMav on January 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM

KMav: Heres the Abomination of that Hook-Up,..(sarc)
====================================================

An Ugly Baby
posted at 11:34 am on April 25, 2006 by Allahpundit
***************************************************

canopfor on December 31, 2013 at 4:26 PM

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Lindsey who?

Galtian on January 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM

The WH must be high fiving all around today that this mess with Christie took him, Ocare, Afghanistan, Iraq, et.al. off the front pages.

Makes me want to spit.

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Heads Up,..Please don’t comment,

Paul Ryan Poverty Speech at 7:30PM:
==================================

Frank Thorp V ‏@frankthorpNBC 1h

RT @NBCNewsPR: Tonight at 7:30p, @bwilliams will interview @RepPaulRyan about poverty in America, livestreaming here:

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:15 PM

They are going to have problems concocting a motive for Kelly and her 2(at least) co conspirators. These were all professional operatives some with a long close relationship with Christie. If they didn’t think they were working with CC’s OK then what was the point of the skulduggery. What did they get out of it? What was their motive? Either 1/2 of CC’s staff are psychos or CC knew and approved(whether they told him or not).

It’s petty compared to Benghazi but still – - – I don’t vote for a pol who plays these games. I’m not voting for a man who acts like he’s better then those he serves. If I don’t see Kelly(or someone) face criminal charges then I don’t believe a word CC says.

BoxHead1 on January 9, 2014 at 7:15 PM

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM

LOL!

Good evening, canopfor.:)

You’ve got an astonishing memory. Excellent post.

thatsafactjack on January 9, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Christie must of called Graham and gave him an offer he could not refuse…

William Eaton on January 9, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Great. Someone’s 16-layer, 5-year plan was put in jeopardy by the optics of this swiftly hosed down “rino fight”. I watched the video, and spotted the taxpayers’ interests in the tender, underprotected part of the loser’s throat.

RushBaby on January 9, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Watching his presser, I kinda started liking the guy.
rik on January 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Look at this issues. “RINO” is generous for this “Republican:”

Obamacare: Not overwhelming in criticism. Like Romneycare. Allowed medicaid expansion into NJ to the chagrin of all Tea Party and establishment Repubs.

Gun Control: Proposed banning 50 caliber rifles, and a slew of other gun control measures. Backtracked somewhat when under pressure from R groups, but you know where his heart is.

AMNESTY: Embraced the Rubio bill. End of story.

Abortion: Was pro-choice like Romney. Switched like Romney a few years ago. Ok, I personally think it’s good that his current position allows for the exception for rape.

Gay marriage: Like we are starting to question whether he will do a complete flip after he didn’t appeal a pro-gay-marriage ruling. There was no rationale for not appealing, other than “we probably wouldn’t win the appeal.” He’ll flip on gay marriage like he just flipped on amnesty.

Islam: Apparently has nominated judges that are sympathetic to the radical Islamists, and Palestine. I don’t know the details.

Global Warming: Calls it “climate change.” Despite Climategate having exposed the “experts” as politically motivated leftists that are manipulating the data to dupe the public, Christie says that “Climate change is happening… it’s time we defer to the experts.” And he says this and more with such effusive enthusiasm, no sense that he has any misgivings. Yes, he sounds John Kerry. There are still a few Republicans that may supports the leftists on this, but they do it reservedly. Watch a video, 2 minutes of Christie bloviating with the leftists on climate change: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPxDnb2-aVI&info=ChristieOnClimateChange

I probably missed some issues.

anotherJoe on January 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Makes me want to spit.

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 7:14 PM

CoffeeLover: Le Serendipity Distraction:)

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM

This Christie Crap is so inane.

Seriously.

Key West Reader on January 9, 2014 at 7:27 PM

CoffeeLover: Le Serendipity Distraction:)

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM

lol canopfor….big hugs…for making me chuckle today.

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Hopefully John McCain’s sock puppet will have a hard time in the south in 2014.

bw222 on January 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Mapquest took me across the GWB from NE TN to Boston (VERY bad move!) via NYC. It took us 3 1/2 hours to CROSS the FREAKING BRIDGE.

ladyingray on January 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM

And I’m no Christie lover, just know the reality…

ladyingray on January 9, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Lindsey whoWhat?

Galtian on January 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM

There, FIFY

Key West Reader on January 9, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I always thought I had more in common with the hotair folks than Drudge. But obviously, after viewing the results of both polls, looks like Drudge people win with me.

mobydutch on January 9, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Christie must of have called Graham and gave him an offer he could not refuse…

William Eaton on January 9, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Sorry, pet peeve.

“of” =/= “have”

ladyingray on January 9, 2014 at 7:33 PM

anotherJoe on January 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM

He appointed Sohail Mohammed to the Superior Court. The same Mohammed who represented the Fort Dix Six and fought for foot baths at Giant Stadium. The guy’s also associated with some shady Muslim organizations from north Jersey.

Andy McCarthy did a great article about all of Christie’s “issues” at National Review. It’s worth a read.

IrishEi on January 9, 2014 at 7:34 PM

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM

LOL!

Good evening, canopfor.:)

You’ve got an astonishing memory. Excellent post.

thatsafactjack on January 9, 2014 at 7:17 PM

thatsafactjack:Hehe,..I love that one,..Kudos to AllahP:)

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Nice effin’ distraction, Leftist media.

I have two words:

Obama Care.

I’ll bet anyone here, the White House just found out the system still doesn’t work, the numbers are worse than they thought, and they sent some media weasel to look for another Watergate, to keep the trailer-park folks occupied for a while.

This is such a non-story, it’s unreal.

a5minmajor on January 9, 2014 at 7:37 PM

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM

lol canopfor….big hugs…for making me chuckle today.

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 7:27 PM

CoffeeLover:Right back at cha—:)

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM

IrishEi on January 9, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Thank you for the link. It is an excellent summary, and I’ll bookmark it.

INC on January 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Well, he does have a point there.

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM

In real life some people develop crazy ideas without any outside help. You are a case in point.

There is no evidence Christie was in any way responsible for this petty nonsense. People like you, and Mark levin, who have condemned Christie based on nothing more than wishful thinking have revealed and shamed yourselves.

Basilsbest on January 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Oof, Graham & Christie have to go….

redguy on January 9, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Sorry, pet peeve.

“of” =/= “have”

ladyingray on January 9, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Obama’s waiving at you from the White House LOL!

Key West Reader on January 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM

a5minmajor on January 9, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Are you posting from an Obama Promise Zone?

Key West Reader on January 9, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Rand Paul,……………..No Comment:

George Washington Bridge ramp closings scandal
3h
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., declines to answer any questions on New Jersey Gov. Christ Christie; at White House stakeout he laughed at questions – @stevebruskCNN

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Are you posting from an Obama Promise Zone?

Key West Reader on January 9, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Key West Reader:)
=================

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 11h

At the WH today, Pres Obama formally announces first five “Promise Zones,” a program to boost to economically depressed communities.

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM

…they would have to bend over to touch their toes …and heavily lubricate the opening by their crack?

KOOLAID2 on January 9, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I dunno, the South elected you, ya weasel.

Akzed on January 9, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I hope this results in a “Conservative” blowing past the RINO establishment and getting the nomination. I’ll take either one of the Texans, Ted or Rick.

Having said that, if Obama had done exactly the same thing, it wouldn’t even make the top 10 list of the bad sh!t he has done.

Alabama Infidel on January 9, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Lindsey Graham continues to give meaning to the word “Ignoranus”.

savage24 on January 9, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Are you posting from an Obama Promise Zone?

Key West Reader on January 9, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Key West Reader:)
=================

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 11h

canopfor on January 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I missed the Promise Zone thread from earlier today. I have to say that is one of the weirdest names I’ve yet to hear for a government program. IMHO it’s another aspect of his push for regionalization.

If only Orwell had lived to see such a day.

INC on January 9, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Basilsbest on January 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Oh, you are so mistaken. I don’t care if he ordered this bridge stuff or not. I don’t have to have that to disapprove of Christie the politician. And as I said, weren’t you raking Christie over the coals at the end of 2012 for helping to wreck Mittmentum?

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Graham saying this is like Barack acting “surprised” that his policies destroy America.

SouthernGent on January 9, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Graham has not a shred of honor nor conscience.He will lie,cheat and steal to get re-elected now that he realizes his RINO ways have got him in deep doo-doo here in South Carolina.No, Christie will not play well down here.But neither will you,Lefty Lindsey Grahamnesty!

redware on January 9, 2014 at 9:53 PM

And by the way.Any of you idiots who think Christie knew nothing should think twice about defending him.Obama is either a liar or an aloof incompetent.So is Christie.Either way,it is way too hypocritical to be defending him.

redware on January 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM

“Christie has to go”?!

For the 1st time in at least 5 years, possibly in decades, a politician has stepped forward, admitted he had nothing to do with a scandal but accepted responsibility for it, did not run from the press and say nothing but held a 2-hour press conference to answer every question, and actually held someone accountable by FIRING someone…none of which has ever been the case under Obama! I hope someone video taped the entire ‘tutorial’ Christie Press Conference & sends it to Obama because it contains everything Obama lacks and needs to learn about ‘leadership’, ‘accountability’, ‘responsibility’, & ‘transparency’!

As far as RINO Lindsey Graham, he needs to STFU! He is a Senator for SC, and nt very often a good one. What does any of what is going on in NJ his affair? And he demonstrates he is another Republican who proves he has not learned that – like the Democrats have mastered – you don’t attack one of your own in the media. If he has an opinion and advice for Christy then he should call Christie, not hold a press conference to get his face in the news/promote himself. GROWN UPs go to the person they have issues with to talk to them about it – GROWN UPS don’t hold press conferences to get their message to the individual. Doing so was just a self-promoting, ‘holier-than-though’, ‘political gaming’ shameful display! I for one will be voting to bring his arse back home to SC as an EX-Senator just as soon as I can!

easyt65 on January 10, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Poor RINO’s all confused and stuff.

magicbeans on January 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM