Open thread: Presser called to explain in detail how governor knew nothing

posted at 10:41 am on January 9, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Obviously, yesterday’s Sgt. Schultz-like apology of “I knew nothing” didn’t tamp down the outrage over internal communications from Governor Chris Christie’s administration that strongly suggest that a bridge closure was political retribution. Now Christie will get plenty of opportunity to expand on what he, er, didn’t know, and when he didn’t know it:

Gov. Chris Christie has scheduled a news conference after emails and text messages revealed his administration may have closed lanes to the George Washington Bridge to exact political retribution.

The governor will answer questions at the Statehouse in Trenton at 11 a.m. Thursday.

Emails and text messages released Wednesday suggest Christie’s deputy chief of staff and a top Christie appointee on the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey engineered traffic jams in Fort Lee last September to punish the town’s mayor.

Two of three lanes connecting Fort Lee to the heavily traveled GWB were closed, causing crippling traffic jams in the town.

Last month, Christie stated unequivocally that his office had nothing to do with the closure, and that it wasn’t punitive.  The communications exposed over the last 24 hours makes it plain that his administration did initiate the closures, and then celebrated them, for political purposes. Yesterday’s apology (of sorts) didn’t include a list of people Christie had fired, even though his only two explanations for the December statement are either (a) he lied, or (b) his staff lied to him. If he wants to sell (b), then he’d better be prepared to announce a rolling head or two in today’s presser.

The local media aren’t likely to let this go, either. NJ.com has timelines, scorecards, and a separate section set up already for breathless updates on “Bridge-gate.” It may end up derailing Christie’s most important appointment, too:

Kevin O’Dowd, who served as Gov. Chris Christie’s chief of staff as so called ‘bridgegate’ unfolded last fall was nominated last month as the state’s new attorney general.  He is due to go before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday.

The problem for O’Dowd is that Deputy Chief of Staff Bridget Kelly, who was implicated today as part of the investigation into the flap, worked for him. To date none of the emails that have surfaced implicate O’Dowd, even as several other administration members have found themselves caught up in the controversy.

But Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Nicholas Scutari said late last night he doesn’t know what effect Kelly’s role in the growing scandal will have on O’Dowd, adding that he’ll wait to see what comes out of today’s Assembly Transportation Committee hearing before deciding what’s next.

“(O’Dowd’s hearing) is still scheduled but we need to see what if anything more comes out (today) because all nominees have to swear in and testify,” he said. “If it goes forward it certainly will be a lot longer and different than originally anticipated.”

No doubt. If Christie really did get blindsided by this, then the best option for him would be to clean house from top to bottom. Anything less, and people will start to wonder what his staff knows that’s keeping their jobs safe. We’ll see what happens at the presser. John Dickerson predicts heads will roll:

CBS News political director John Dickerson told the co-hosts of “CBS This Morning,” to expect some heads to roll within Christie’s administration. “I think you are likely to see probably firings. I think you’re likely going to see a buck stops here moment from him (Christie) — taking responsibility for this.”

A “buck stops here” moment? That should have come yesterday, really, but better late than never.

Update: I’m pretty sure this would be the wrong strategy to take, but it would be legendary:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Schadenfreude

Bmore on January 9, 2014 at 5:24 PM

The closest I’ve found. Must agree that it isn’t what I thought I’d remembered.

Al in St. Lou on January 9, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Thank you for your honesty.

I’m certainly far from perfect when it comes to picking winners in politics myself…cripes, I actually thought Charlie Crist had integrity shortly before he bailed out of the GOP. I ate hat for it. Needless to say, I don’t do political bets anymore.

I’d say Christie should have just shaken hands and kept a straight face. All the big smiles made it look like an endorsement.

Al in St. Lou on January 9, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Now, I fail to see how smiles = endorsement. Christie publicly endorsed Romney long before Sandy hit. Let’s please not do what the Left does…creating “facts” where they don’t exist.

JetBoy on January 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Hard to close down anything really when you can’t get elected. :)

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM

He makes a great point still. Moderates and progressives throw Conservative Republicans under the bus for much less than what occurred in Christy’s administration. You dismiss the point with your running gags about these people, but it doesn’t change the truth.

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Look, I don’t have any use for idiots in the establishment or the Tea Party. Just like I can’t stand any of the embarrassments that the Tea Partiers have endorsed, I can’t stand people like Crist, Murkowski, Lugar, McCain, and Graham of the establishment, either, who are embarrassments of a different type. My problem with someone of the people to whom I’m sure you’re referring was they way they handled it. Christie, whether you like it or not, helped himself by the way he handled everything today. Whether there’s something out there that might directly implicate him remains to be seen. There very well might, but until that happens, I give him props for the way he handled it.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 5:39 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I’m fine with the way he handled it. I was commenting on another thread to quit dog piling him and doing the Donks job for them. It’s a fact of life though that moderates and progressives in the GOP have thrown Conservatives they don’t like under the bus for far, far less. For a single interview. For a single public statement. You can’t escape the resentment some Conservatives are going to feel because of the way their candidates are treated. You yourself have been particularly hard on Conservatives.

Maybe time for everyone to look at the way they aid the other side in bringing down your own party members.

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I don’t disagree with you about doing the Donks’ job for them. I do slightly disagree with you that they only do it to conservatives. They’ll do it anyone with an R next to their name. If a Republican stands in the way, they’ll do whatever it takes to destroy them. Like you alluded to, they did it with Palin and her interviews. They’re doing it with Rand Paul and the plagiarism allegations. They also did it with someone more moderate like Romney with his record at Bain…going so far as to accuse him of a woman’s death. They’re doing it with Christie now.

Did I have problems with certain TPers getting the nomination? Yes, not because of differences in philosophy, but because I thought they would embarrass our side, and every single one of them I thought would, did. I want more conservatives in office, but let’s nominate ones that don’t have the propensity to make idiotic statements. I’m all for getting more conservative than Cornyn in there, but someone like Stockman isn’t the guy to do it. I would love for McConnell to lose in a primary, but Bevin isn’t the guy to do it.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Mike Castle is and was more of an “embarrassment” than any TPer could ever be.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM

“I want more conservatives in office, in theory, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty I’m going with the establishment hacks”. We know.

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I wasn’t implying Donks only attack Conservatives. I was stating the moderates and progressives in the GHOP pitch in and help them. Just like you and some others are complaining about Conservatives bashing Christie.

Did you call for some party unity when they got nominated? Or did you bandwagon like you’re complaining about here?

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Let’s be frank. You oppose Conservatives who are socially conservative on issues. It’s in hundreds of your comments. It’s not only how they espouse their beliefs, it’s what they believe too. At the very least, if you have a right to bash a candidate or office holder because they sound preachy and religious, Christy is fair game for people’s perception of his heavy handed tactics and rhetoric. I’ll support him over any Donk but it’s a fact he went out of his way to boost obama’s image over Romney during the election. He’s weak on guns and he’s weak on immigration and social issues. But this traffic jam BS is a nothingburger to me. We do the DOnks and the media’s job helping them make a big deal out of it.

Again, let’s stick with all of our candidates and leaders. Or forgo your indignation when you guys get the same treatment other more progressive GOPers dish out.

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Christie and Obama – Brothers From Another Mother.

VorDaj on January 9, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Mike Castle is and was more of an “embarrassment” than any TPer could ever be.

I highly doubt Castle would have said or done anything more embarrassing than “I am not a witch” and losing by 17 points in a very winnable election. Let’s not even begin to talk about all of her financial issues and other baggage.

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I had no idea Cruz, Haley, Rubio, Rand, etc. were all establishment hacks when they ran. Thanks for enlightening me.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Bingo.

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

^ Christie’s an embarrassment, right?

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I bash both conservatives and moderates when I think they deserve it. I’ve been very critical of McCain, Graham, McConnell. In fact, as recently as today, I was critical of Christie (before his press conference anyway).

Party unity. I just mentioned earlier how I actually urged my friends and family in DE to support O’Donnell on election day, even though I was very critical of her. You don’t even have to go that far back. I was very open about my opinion of Cuccinelli as a candidate. However, I still said that we have to do whatever we can to help him win. Am I surprised that he lost? No, he was an awful candidate for VA, but it doesn’t mean I wasn’t rooting for him.

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Nothing could be further from the truth. I’ve always been socially conservative, although I will admit that I’ve become more libertarian on social issues in the past few years. I love candidates that can articulate their socially conservative positions in an eloquent manner. I could never support someone like Huckabee because he’s way too moderate for me on issues like immigration and taxes, but the way he defends his stances on social issues is impressive. I wish every social conservative could it that well. Two of my favorite Republicans are Pence and Jindal…both very strong social conservatives.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

And I’m sure you were on their bandwagon good and early, weren’t you? Or did you become fans once it was pretty sure they would win? Rubio early on was an “embarrassment” too; we were told we should go with Crist who was more likely to win. Ditto pretty much with Paul against McConnell’s handpicked guy. Others were putting down Cruz for being “too” conservative and not as electable as Rick Perry’s anointed pick.

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

^ Christie’s an embarrassment, right?

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

If there’s any truth to any of these allegations, absolutely.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

If there’s any truth to any of these allegations, absolutely.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

It doesn’t have to be true to be an embarrassment. After all, COD wssn’t really a witch, either. A two-hour “I’m not a bully” press conference is pretty much on a par with a “I’m not a witch” psa. Embarrassing. Dead meat. Done.

Right?

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:33 PM

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Not surprisingly, you’re wrong once again. You’re more than welcome to research if you would like, but I was with Rubio when he was polling in the single digits. This was even before George Will predicted Rubio would win, and everyone thought he was crazy. But I was impressed with Rubio and knew we could get someone much more conservative than Crist in Florida. I was also with Rand Paul from the very beginning. And you can read the threads, I was one of Cruz’s earliest supporters.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM

You’re more than welcome to research if you would like…

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Yeah, I’ll do that sometime.

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Right?

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:33 PM

“I dabbled into withcraft” is quite different than denying having any knowledge of something someone in his staff did. A press conference concerning the actions of your staff is quite different than having to issue and utter denial on…witchcraft.

And is he done? He very well may be. We’ll just have to see. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is, but with the way he handled it today, I also wouldn’t be surprised if this actually helps his prospects.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Yeah, I’ll do that sometime.

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Excellent.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:39 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

You can dismiss O’Donnell with your inane reference to her tongue in cheek witch commercial. You cannot dismiss the fact that Castle was a left leaning moderate who voted to refer Dennis Kucinich’s articles of impeachment for then president George W. Bush to the judiciary. During a time of war. During a time when I personally was deployed in said war. Conservative certainly had as much call to question his creds as O’Donnell.

I have yet to have anyone explain to me the parliamentary necessity of his vote.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

You lost me here. Have you always been socially conservative or have you become more libertarian in your social views?

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:39 PM

And Christie’s dabbled into bullydom. Embarrassing.

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM

And didn’t Christie say he’d probably agree with Andrew Cuomo 98% of the time? Yeah, there’s a real conservative winnah for ya.

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:43 PM

That commercial was definitely not tongue-in-cheek.

I was no Castle guy, either. Between the two, I would have chosen Castle, not because I agreed with him more, because I certainly didn’t, but because it was Delaware and Christine O’Donnell isn’t the type of conservative that could win there. If someone like a Nikki Haley, Marco Rubio, or Rand Paul ran against Castle there, I would have supported him/her because they present conservatism in an intelligent manner. O’Donnell doesn’t. I just had a feeling that O’Donnell would say conservatism back there, whereas if someone like Haley, Rubio, or Rand ran, they very well might have lost in the general, but at least they wouldn’t have embarrassed the party or the conservative movement.

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM

What I’m saying is that over the course of my life, I’ve always considered myself a social conservative, but I have become more libertarian in recent years.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM

And Christie’s dabbled into bullydom. Embarrassing.

ddrintn on January 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM

You’re more than entitled to that opinion.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Thank you for your service btw. I forgot to say that in my previous post. You’re a hero and a better man than I will ever be.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:49 PM

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Then, you used to be a social conservative and now you’re more libertarian.

You would actually think a left-leaning moderate who voted to send article of impeachment to the judiciary for your parties president a better pick solely because he was more electable?

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I’m not better than any man or woman here because of my service. The mention was only to point out my particular distain for Castle. My unit was in theater when he voted for Kucinich’s articles of impeachment to be referred to the judiciary. That cannot be explained away or forgiven.

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Then, you used to be a social conservative and now you’re more libertarian.

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM

It’s really not what you think it is. Let’s not forget that Peter King voted for that as well. It was a tactical move. Hinderaker explains it in detail here:

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 6:56 PM

I appreciate your sentiment and humility, but I stand by what I said. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I certainly think you’re a better man than I.

I know you didn’t mention it to receive praise.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Hinderaker was referred to me before. Hindraker doesn’t explain how actually getting to the judiciary is better than the referral itself dying in a chamber vote. What did the GOP gain? Why didn’t they all vote for the referral if it was such a parliamentary stroke of genius? One rep that has nominal conservative creds in a deep blue state, Pete King is the only other name of 24 GOPers that vote for it.

Still makes no sense other than the fact Castle is on record as being critical of Bush.

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 7:12 PM

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I’m punching out for the night. I enjoyed the exchange. I do believe both sides of the GOP are harming the party brand. Read the QOTD from last night a little. I honestly believe there is an ability for the GOP to allow folks to meet in the middle without compromising their issues. Boiled down to it’s simplest terms, the GOP really is awful for eating their own. Said it before. They suck at circling the wagons for a party member.

Nite and take care.

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I could be wrong, but by forcing the motion to be considered by the committee, it prevented the House from having to debate about impeachment. Why didn’t everyone vote for it? I think there were two lines of thinking here. One side (where the majority of Republicans aligned), they voted against it, hoping that it would die on the floor, which would have handed Kucinish an immediate defeat, and it would have forced the Democrats to have to explain this whole thing publicly, which I’m sure most Democrats didn’t want to do. The other side (where the minority of Republicans voted) voted for it so it could be sent to the Judiciary Committee for consideration, where it would die a “slow death” as mentioned in the link, and would avoid having to debate about any of it on the House floor. That’s what I think, but, of course, I could be wrong.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Nite and take care.

hawkdriver on January 9, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Agreed on all counts. Have a good night.

GOPRanknFile on January 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Unfortunately, there was no hug…much less a “big bear hug”. Does a picture exist anywhere of this supposed hug? Because I can’t find anything remotely close to one.

JetBoy on January 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I found one, son.
Here.

justltl on January 9, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I know what your thinking, JB.

“That pic only shows that Christie appreciated what Obama did for the people of New Jersey…blah, blah, blah… you’re just like the libs, etc., etc.”

OK, I concede.

justltl on January 9, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I’m still not voting for him in the primary, however.
Maybe the election, if Hillary is his opponent.
But not the primary.

justltl on January 9, 2014 at 8:41 PM

JetBoy on January 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I found one, son.
Here.

justltl on January 9, 2014 at 8:28 PM

LOL!!

You got me there…totally unexpected :P

JetBoy on January 9, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Ha!!!

justltl on January 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM

“Christie is now hostage to the truth,” Krauthammer said. “If he told the truth, and he had no knowledge of this, it will hurt him. If he didn’t tell the truth, and we will know it for sure one way or the other, if he did know about this thing, he’s toast.”

This is a reasoned analysis of Christie’s situation. He’s damaged by this either way, the only real question is degree.

thatsafactjack on January 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Schadenfreude

Bmore on January 9, 2014 at 5:24 PM

…nice to see you back

KOOLAID2 on January 9, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I really just can’t imagine a New Jersey politician acting pettily.

Axe on January 9, 2014 at 10:26 PM

…nice to see you back

KOOLAID2 on January 9, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Wish I was. Man they have me covered up to start off the year. A wee bit overwhelming.

Axe on January 9, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Lolz! Must be a coonass sorta thingy. ; )

Bmore on January 9, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Lolz! Must be a coonass sorta thingy. ; )

Bmore on January 9, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Well, now I’m deeply offended. :)

Or should be. I think. I dunno. I’ll check the government poster that tells me what to think . . .

I think we should ration beef, for our boys on the front.

–Wait; that’s the wrong poster.

–Look, I’ll get back to you. :)

Axe on January 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Didn’t see this posted by anyone else – good one from Leno:

“Pundits are saying this could hurt [Christie’s] 2016 presidential campaign. The ironic thing is now that Christie is denying everything he sounds even more presidential.”

dentarthurdent on January 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM