‘Murica: Butter consumption hits 40-year high

posted at 9:21 pm on January 9, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Take that, margarine! Take that, food police!

Butter’s back—and with a creamy vengeance. Foodies extol its flavor. Purists praise its freedom from trans fats. Annual per capita butter consumption in the U.S. (now 5.6 pounds), has risen 25 percent in the last decade to a 40-year high, according to American Butter Institute.

“Our sales have been growing by double-digits every year,” says Albert Straus, owner of the Straus Family Creamery, whose cows graze the bucolic hills above Tomales Bay, in western Marin County, Calif. Staus’ European-style butter has proved incredibly popular, he says, especially among chefs.

It was created 20 years ago at the suggestion of famed California chef Alice Watters, who wanted a locally-produced European-style butter with high fat content (85 to 87 percent, in Straus’ case).

Straus tells ABC News he sold 500,000 pounds of high-fat, gourmet butter last year, a quarter more than he did five years ago.

Meantime, nationwide, margarine sales have been in free fall since 1995.

Margarine was sold by the media and nutritionists as some kind of healthier low-calorie alternative for years, but the all-natural, fatty goodness of butter has won out. Because this country knows better than the nanny state.

ht_butter_graph_sr_140108_16x9_992

Marie Conroy of a San Francisco declares herself a butter connoisseur. Conroy waxes poetic about her favorite brands, which include Kerrygold Irish butter, French butter from Brittany, and Straus’ European-style, which she cooked with for the first time this Christmas.

Premium butters, like premium wines, she says, take on the flavor of their terroir: the grasses eaten by Irish cows impart to their milk (and to the butter made from it) a flavor different from the grasses eaten by Brittany’s cows or by Marin’s. Somebody with a sensitive palate can tell the difference.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go improve my palate.

Comments

… Michelle Obama bathes in it …

Pork-Chop on January 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Having eaten butter instead of margarine for a good decade now I can’t touch margarine any longer, it tastes stale and spreads like wet paper.

A butter stick wrapped in bacon, covered in chocolate, dipped in crushed croutons, and then deep fried. Jolly good!

Bishop on January 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I don’t buy butter, vegetable oil spread is 1/3 the price, but good on those who do.

22044 on January 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I enjoy real butter, particularly Kerrygold. I also like to make my own during holiday meals. Much better than that margarine crap on which I was raised. Blech!

Anna on January 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM

When you have people (including Hotair personalities) eating “fried butter” at the Iowa State Fair . . . . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Go Tina Korbe!

22044 on January 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Couldnt find the Land O’Lakes cinnamon butter at Safeway last night double-you-tee-eff-question-mark-exclamation-point

Jeddite on January 9, 2014 at 9:37 PM

The Sleeper Curve, everything bad is good for you. Butter is so Paula Dean, I’ve moved on to cooking with lard. Make your biscuits with lard and eat them hot from the oven with butter.

tmitsss on January 9, 2014 at 9:38 PM

So, when it turns out that it was always the hydrogenated oils that were bad for you, not the cholesterol or saturated fats, butter starts looking like the healthy alternative.

Count to 10 on January 9, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Per the thread image, my Dad, rest his soul, would say, “they should’ve called it, ‘I BELIEVE it’s butter!’”

Paul-Cincy on January 9, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I smoke, I drink, I eat butter.

Open casket funeral so you can see I died smiling.

wolly4321 on January 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Real butter, or as I like to call it, Heaven Spread, is the bovine equivalent of bacon. No substitutes can ever match them. As to butter, my Grandmother spent hours churning her own from the cows milked that morning, and I can’t imagine these designer butters could be better than that.

Think I’m going to go make me a B & B sandwich, just butter and bacon.

TXUS on January 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Dan Rather once did butter back in the 50′s, but it gave him a headache.

forest on January 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Honey butter on fresh biscuits? Boy howdy!

Crumbling cold margarine that separates into oily goop if you leave it out at room temp, no thank you sir.

Bishop on January 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM

My granny used to make butter. Nothing like it. Death to margarine.

Philly on January 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I love butter. Grew up eating that crap margarine and vowed never to again when I became an adult…

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 9:44 PM

mantequilla…

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Melted butter on steak with a dash of salt, OH YEAH!

rob verdi on January 9, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Butter and honey sandwiches…

wolly4321 on January 9, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Me. A glass of wine. Warm bath. Me. And a tub of as$ widening butter.
It is hell to wash off the hair.

AllahsNippleHair on January 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Who is the long haired metrosexual idiot in the pic drooling over the fake butter?

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Dan Rather once did butter back in the 50′s, but it gave him a headache.

forest on January 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Butter today is nothing like butter back then…

Dan should try it again…

Move Over Butter…..

Electrongod on January 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM

That’s Allah, man!

AllahsNippleHair on January 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Melted butter on steak with a dash of salt, OH YEAH! rob verdi on January 9, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Absolutely.

wolly4321 on January 9, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Butter is the bacon of the dairy food group.

fogw on January 9, 2014 at 9:54 PM

wolly4321 on January 9, 2014 at 9:49 PM

We used to slather real butter on grandma’s fresh from the oven homemade bread and slice onions on it as a snack. YUM! Thank God grandma bought real butter and not that oleo crap mom did…

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 9:54 PM

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Go Tina Korbe!

22044 on January 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM

WE MISS YOU, TINA !

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 9:54 PM

“Ban it for the serfs!!” Moochelle shrieked, as she wolfed down another taxpayer lobster.

viking01 on January 9, 2014 at 9:54 PM

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 9:54 PM

O T:

How’s your sister doing ?

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM

…We use butter…but unless it’s just plain bread or toast…I can’t tell much difference when I get margarine on sammwiches… from others.

KOOLAID2 on January 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM

How’s your sister doing ?

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM

She is still not doing so well, still blaming herself—if only, if only…
She has always been the ‘fixer’ in our family. Keep praying for her and Tom

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM

i love butter <333 i eat it all the time! ALTHOUGH, i have a good metabolism and so i've always been a skinny person. if i found myself gaining a lot of weight, i would eat less butter. luckily that hasn't happened yet. XD

Sachiko on January 9, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Lobster…
Butter….
Moochelle…

Something is not the same…

Electrongod on January 9, 2014 at 9:58 PM

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM

ditto

Also, how are you and the rest of the family holding up?

_____________________

Evening All

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Butter is the bacon of the dairy food group.

fogw on January 9, 2014 at 9:54 PM

/*mic drop*

wolfsDad on January 9, 2014 at 9:58 PM

HA! I’m happy to read this because I got fed up with being stymied by the assortment of margarines in the store and trying to figure out what was the best type and thought you know what, I,m just going to buy the frigging butter from now on and be done with it. call the butter police!

scalleywag on January 9, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Nothing better than a good crusty loaf of bread slathered in butter :)

OC I never thought to put onions. Raw or cooked?

I love onions and garlic.

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Most of us are holding up OK, as well as can be expected. It’s my beloved sis I am worried about…

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM

raw. thinly sliced, it is beyond delicious…

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 10:02 PM

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM

She is still not doing so well, still blaming herself—if only, if only…
She has always been the ‘fixer’ in our family. Keep praying for her and Tom

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Will do.
I understand the “If only ….. “

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Nothing better than a good crusty loaf of bread slathered in butter :)

OC I never thought to put onions. Raw or cooked?

I love onions and garlic.

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM

In conjunction with butter, that comment constitutes “psychological warfare.” … What are you trying to do to me ?

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Chesapeake bay. Clams and mussels, butter and lemon.

Softshell crabs fried in butter.

wolly4321 on January 9, 2014 at 10:11 PM

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I hear you on that OC. All of you remain in my prayers and esp. your sister That “if” is a hard one to bear. I know that with you and the other brothers and family will help her greatly.

It’s a particularly nasty flu OC. I heard yesterday of 2 deaths of young people (a woman 27 and a man in his early 30s) who died here in FL.

Thanks for the tip. Now I’m curious and will have to try, bread, butter and thinly sliced onions.

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Luckily, my palate is very pedestrian. Normal, cheap butter tastes just as good to me as any “premium”, hoity-toity butter.

And pretty much all margarine is dog doo-doo. I never liked the stuff and never ate it if I didn’t have to – even back in those days when it was known that real butter caused global cooling and that natural butter would kill you in 35 seconds, anyway, with a massive heart attack. I barely made it through.

Then, all the twerps and morons who had switched to margarine were forced to change all over again – even after they had carefully recalibrated their sensitive palates. I blow smoke in all their faces.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 9, 2014 at 10:14 PM

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM

L2G….ok that got me rolling with laughter :)

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 10:14 PM

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 10:13 PM

It has to be fresh baked warm bread from the oven, even if you use the frozen stuff that you thaw and raise on its own. Grandma always had white onions, but I like it with red ones now.

So tragic about all the young ones dying from this flu. Terrible…

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Can’t stand butter. Give me margarine.

Lanceman on January 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Merilee is a strong name. Women with strong names find their way.

I’ll pray nonetheless.

wolly4321 on January 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Butter’s back—and with a creamy vengeance.

Been using butter all my life. Grew up on it. Made it myself as a kid from cows I milked myself. Still use it today just don’t churn it myself anymore. Never have listened to the doom and gloom mongers never will. Never gave up bacon, eggs or salt either. Don’t even get me started on coffee. Eat a diet of twigs and leaves if you want but don’t push it on me.

Oldnuke on January 9, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Merilee is a strong name. Women with strong names find their way.

I’ll pray nonetheless.

wolly4321 on January 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Merrilee had to be strong. She grew up with four older and three younger brothers…

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Softshell crabs fried in butter.

wolly4321 on January 9, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Yessss! Oh, yes! Nothing better. I use butter to sear my steaks in an iron skillet.

Oldnuke on January 9, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Can’t stand butter. Give me margarine. Lanceman on January 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Sorry, you’re still boarding the same cattle car.

Nice try.

wolly4321 on January 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Yeah, well let your cow get into a bunch of wild onions and see how you like that milk or the butter made from it. You won’t need a sensitive palate to detect the difference.

Oldnuke on January 9, 2014 at 10:25 PM

wolly4321 on January 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM

It’s all those years of eating ersatz food. Butter, except in small amounts, makes me retch if I eat too much.

Lanceman on January 9, 2014 at 10:25 PM

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Um, ok I’ll see what I can find at the store. I don’t want to share my one and only attempt at baking home made bread…ugh.

____

Oldnuke on January 9, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I’m with you 100%. Let’s not forget about wine/no wine. They are making me dizzy on what oil we should be using now too.

I simply do moderation. It’s worked all these years pretty well.

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Love butter so much, I stock up when on sale.
One storm season, we lost power for 24 hours (not bad) and I’d feared globs of yellow goop on the bottom of our freezer (it was fine) so now I can it, since I NEVER want to be without it !!
Haven’t touched margarine for decades.

pambi on January 9, 2014 at 10:28 PM

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 10:22 PM

wow, right in the middle of a pack. I’m sure she’s tough then but for now extremely fragile. I’m sure all of you are doing your best to support her right now. Hang in there. Oldie but goodie “time.”

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I simply do moderation. It’s worked all these years pretty well.

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I don’t like wine so I don’t drink it. But for those who like I say go for it. As for oil depends on what I’m cooking. I favor olive oil again for the flavor but if I’m making a stir fry or something Indian or Asian I use canola or peanut. I make a basic french bread using olive oil and honey that is really good. Great bread for just about anything.

Oldnuke on January 9, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Love butter so much, I stock up when on sale.
Haven’t touched margarine for decades.

pambi on January 9, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Butter will actually keep for quite a while without refrigeration. My grandparents (either set) didn’t have refrigeration when I was a kid and there was always fresh butter. It was kept covered in a butter dish on the kitchen table or counter.

Oldnuke on January 9, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Oldnuke on January 9, 2014 at 10:31 PM

“…basic french bread using olive oil and honey”

That sounds wonderful

CoffeeLover on January 9, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Oldnuke on January 9, 2014 at 10:37 PM

And the eggs were kept in a basket on the same table and no one ever died from salmonella, not to mention the fresh eggnog they made from the raw eggs at Christmas…

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Never gave up butter, never gave up eggs. It is what I evolve on, the experts be dammed.

Laurence on January 9, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Love butter so much, I stock up when on sale.
Haven’t touched margarine for decades.

pambi on January 9, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Me TOO !

I’ve bought 15 lbs at a time, when a sale brought it down to $2.00 a pound (occasionally, even lower).

listens2glenn on January 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Laurence on January 9, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Grandma ate eggs and butter every day of her life. We were always warned about her bad heart, yet she lived to 103…

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Some friendly advice: always get unsalted butter, because it’s “unadulterated”. I’ve been told by several supermarket dairy managers here in Cow Hampshire that salted butter is older butter, with the salt added to cover up the aging taste.

Here in New England, highly recommended are Kate’s out of Maine and Cabot out of Vermont. Both are probably available on amazon.

Del Dolemonte on January 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 10:49 PM

See! IF only she’d have given up butter, eggs, bacon, salt, red meat and anything else that had an actual taste she could have lived to at least 104. /s

Oldnuke on January 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Oldnuke on January 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM

LOLZ! She did announce at her 99th B’day party that she was giving up vegetables since she had always hated them. When I asked her why she always fed us two or three different ones at dinner, she said it was for us and she finally tired of setting the example. That must have put her in an early grave as well…

OmahaConservative on January 9, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Three major factors in the comeback of butter.

1. Margarine was designed as a lower fat alternative. It was supposed to be healthier, but over time “trans fats” were discovered not to be beneficial.

2. The rise of low-carb dieting and the growing idea that fat is not universally bad is fueled by research showing little or no health benefits to low-fat diets, all else being equal.

3. The new interest in cooking and gourmet foods across all segments of society. Butter tastes better, and nearly always cooks better.

Adjoran on January 9, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Never in my life has any margarine or erzatz wannabes entered my refrigerator.

katy the mean old lady on January 10, 2014 at 12:07 AM

COLORADO RESIDENTS ONLY

Shy Guy on January 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM

COLORADO RESIDENTS ONLY

Shy Guy on January 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Yup, ….. I guess so . . . . . (shaking head).

listens2glenn on January 10, 2014 at 1:15 AM

You really need to try Olivio. It’s created by Lee Iacocca’s company and it’s olive-oil based. It’s essentially margarine, but with no partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, and therefore no trans fats. Now those of us who think milk products are gross have something to put on our toast.

bmmg39 on January 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM

I only eat margarine as my lady cannot stomach butter in a literal sense.

Sad, I miss the days of oyster crackers and butter.

And I’m coming to dislike the taste of what they have done with margarine and these healthy ‘spreads’. Bleah! Luckily there is cream cheese to substitute for these things. Pancakes with cream cheese and maple syrup… mmmmm… perhaps the hint that I’m using cream cheese and not using margarine will finally sink in without my having to say anything.

That is between you and me, btw.

ajacksonian on January 10, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Your graph tells a different story.

The “butter consumption” line might as well be straight. There has been no significant change in butter consumption in the past 40ish years.

What has happened is the use of margarine has completely bottomed out.

Americans have substituted something in the place of margarine. Looking at that graph, though, it isn’t butter.

makattak on January 10, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I wonder how the use of olive oil (and other oils) has fared since the early 90′s? That might be the something Americans have started using.

makattak on January 10, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I only eat margarine as my lady cannot stomach butter in a literal sense.

Sad, I miss the days of oyster crackers and butter.

ajacksonian on January 10, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Why does your lady’s inability to eat butter preclude you from enjoying it?

Oldnuke on January 10, 2014 at 9:39 AM

… Michelle Obama bathes in it …

Pork-Chop on January 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Eye Bleach! Now!

CaptFlood on January 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Using natural products is always preferable to using concocted ones. If you use any product in your cooking that is supposed to emulate something else, then you aren’t making it the best. (IMHO) Sometimes shortcuts are ok (you’re just whipping up a quick meal, maybe), but I like to make something right if I’m going to make it – so butter, salt and eggs are always around for my cooking.

(OK, yes, I do make the Velveeta Ro-Tel cheese dip… but that’s different! Really, it’s totally … well… ummmm… it just is. :p )

GWB on January 10, 2014 at 9:48 AM

… Michelle Obama bathes in it …

Pork-Chop on January 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM

BRAIN BLEACH! BRAIN BLEACH!

My God man… warn us before you invoke the unholiest image from the lowest pit of Hell!

dominigan on January 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Love butter so much, I stock up when on sale.
Haven’t touched margarine for decades.

pambi on January 9, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Did I miss a memo somewhere? We always left our butter dish out on the counter during the cooler months and I still do. Nothing worse than hard butter that tears the hell out of the bread when you try to spread it.

“Mmmmmm. Butter. Arghhhhhhhhhh!”

CaptFlood on January 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Corn makes great butter

Corn makes great gas for my car

BigSven on January 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

22044 on January 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Vegetable oil is really bad for you. Yes it is cheap–but there is a reason why. Same goes for margarine. More and more is being learned about what is “healthy.” Low fat products–Not good. Your body needs fat. Trans fat and hydrogonated oils–terrible. Your body also needs carbs to function.

Three major factors in the comeback of butter.

Adjoran on January 9, 2014 at 11:30 PM

The second one is partially correct. It is not equal taking fats and carbs out of one’s diet. One might lose weight, but overall health will be worse. Healthy fats and carbs are essential for the body.

Conservative in NOVA on January 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Love butter so much, I stock up when on sale.
Haven’t touched margarine for decades.

pambi on January 9, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I stock up as well, 20 at a time when it is down to $2, and into the freezer it goes, next to the 3/4 beef and whole hog we had butchered this year.

We only eat butter, not margarine, and I’ve started cooking with lard (that I rendered) for frying/sauteing. First time I used the lard I didn’t tell my husband, and he raved about the fried chicken that night, saying it was the best I’ve ever made.

pambi: Are you pressure canning the butter? Or water bath canning?

cptacek on January 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM

tmitsss on January 9, 2014 at 9:38 PM

My mother-in-law spent forty-some years moaning because her pie crusts just didn’t taste right. Of course they didn’t! She had switched from lard to Crisco!

Ever since the very soft release of the information that lard isn’t the boogie man, I’ve been waiting for the local Mexican joints to start frying their soft shell tacos in lard again. I want my lard-fried tacos!

catsandbooks on January 10, 2014 at 12:53 PM

pambi: Are you pressure canning the butter? Or water bath canning?

cptacek on January 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I want to know, too! We buy butter when it’s cheap, but I hate it when the butter’s been in the freezer too long. Yuck! Also, when you can the butter, do you can all of it or do you clarify it first?

catsandbooks on January 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM

cptacek on January 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM

What do you do with the cracklin’s (little pieces of fat that’s left after rendering). They’re good to eat as snacks. Wrap them in a thin cloth while still hot and twist the cloth at both ends to squeeze all the lard out. Then you salt them a little and chow down. You can also make cracklin’ cornbread with them.

Oldnuke on January 10, 2014 at 1:24 PM

catsandbooks on January 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM

You can buy one of those vacuum systems and put the butter inside a bag then suck the air out before freezing. That’ll extend the freezer life by quite a bit.

Oldnuke on January 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Oldnuke on January 10, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I did it for the first time in October and am running out of my stash, so I’ll have to take your advice next time. I tried to squish all of it out the best I could, but when I tried to eat it, it was a little too greasy for me still, so the dog got it. Squeezing it with cloth sounds like I can get a lot more out, so it would be lots better.

My dad just shakes his head at me, getting excited about my garden, chickens, lard and butter. When I talk about something new I did, and I think it is damned ingenious, he’ll say “your great grandma Ptacek did that, but…” and then tell me how her way was better. Which it was.

cptacek on January 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Once I grew up and moved out of my folks’ home, I never ate margarine again. My cholesterol is low because I actually eat very little butter (except during the holidays when it’s Butter and Duck Fat Fest) and the main cooking oil I use is EVOO due to hub being of Italian descent.

I enjoy Kerrygold and Plugra, but for special meals nothing beats Normandy butter.

jix on January 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM