Video: Dennis Rodman sings happy birthday to his “best friend”

posted at 2:01 pm on January 8, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Blaze, they’re quite the pair: One’s a strangely dressed lunatic who whitewashes North Korea’s crimes against humanity and the other’s Kim Jong-Un. I go back and forth between cringing outrage at seeing an American behave so affectionately towards this monster and halting self-awareness that that means I’m taking something Dennis Rodman’s involved in seriously. They’re really not mutually exclusive, though. You can dismiss Rodman as a kooky attention whore while also believing there are some lines he wouldn’t cross in the name of being “unconventional.” Doing propaganda for the NorKs was, I thought, one of those lines. Every westerner has abundant access to information about what goes on there, and even if D-Rod’s not reading up, someone surely pulled him aside and filled him in when he first started making noise about Kim. He knows. He just doesn’t care, whether for his own publicity reasons or because … he just doesn’t care. That phenomenon is worth taking seriously, even when it comes in a kooky package. And while he may be the worst offender, he’s not the only one. But who knows? Maybe we’ve got it all wrong and this is, a la “Homeland,” a deep-cover infiltration operation that’s going to end with Rodman strangling Kim in his office. Imagine it: “The Dennis Rodman Center for Intelligence.”

As sinister as this is, it’s also unmistakably campy, a sort of cultural photo negative of Marilyn serenading JFK in 1962. There was no way to avoid a camp factor in having Dennis Rodman performing at a state function in a totalitarian state but I didn’t think he’d lay it on quite this thick. It feels like “Olympia” as directed by John Waters. Exit quotation: “I feel a lot of remorse for the guys because we are doing something positive, but it’s a lot bigger than us. We are not naive, we understand why things are being portrayed the way they are. We can’t do anything about that; if we could, we would.”

Comments

It’s hard to determine which of them is more nucking futs.

Wino on January 8, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Can we expect a Rodman’s Tomb with public viewing in Pyongyang someday?

portlandon on January 8, 2014 at 2:04 PM

What a tool…

Kraken on January 8, 2014 at 2:04 PM

“CLAP or DIE”

-Excerpt from North Korea basketball flyer

portlandon on January 8, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I would say Dennis is a “useful idiot”, but that would be a tad too generous. I would suggest useful retard, but Sarah Palin would get mad at me. So I leave it to Robert Downey Jr’s character on Tropical Thunder who said: You never go full ‘tard.

John the Libertarian on January 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Did he wear a wedding dress?

The NK dicktator should keep him there and feed him to the dogs. Talk about a real circus.

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Hope he didn’t get lil’ Kim a puppy for his birthday.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM

“So, how shall I beclown myself today,” =Dennis Rodman.

Akzed on January 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I hope this is what you call, “deep cover.”

besser tot als rot on January 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Who the f*** is this fool and why is he getting attention when there are most serious issues?

mnjg on January 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Wait a minute…. Dennis Rodman is Jane Fonda. Don’t believe me? Notice how you never see the two together…

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Yes, I keep hoping this is some kind of Argo plot to spring Kenneth Bae from prison and get him out of NK, but I know that’s crazy. Just like Rodman.

mbs on January 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM

How did he get out of the celebrity rehab house long enough for this trip?

Murphy9 on January 8, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Rodman is an uneducated, self centered man who will do anything to draw attention to himself, including sucking up to a brutal 4th world dictator. In other words he is just like Al Aharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Michael Moore.

simkeith on January 8, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Revoke his Passport and put him on the No-Fly List, leave him there permanently. Let him be Lil Kim’s personal pet, forever.

D-fusit on January 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM

If his ‘best friend’ were smart he’d give Rodman the prisoner to take home…big “If”…

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM

It was pointed out just how many of those 10 players had essentially blown through millions and had declared bankruptcy. The financial component of this little visit shouldn’t be discounted.

Happy Nomad on January 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM

D-fusit on January 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Surprisingly enough, it isn’t illegal for an American to travel to North Korea. I guess they figured nobody would be stupid enough to do it.

Happy Nomad on January 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM

What a freaking nutso. Entertaining as heck though.

gophergirl on January 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I read in one article that the players are getting a big payday for this little trip, don’t know how much, though.I suspect they did not anticipate the firestorm of criticism. See article in the headlines about how pot makes you dumb.

mbs on January 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I remember the film “The Last King of Scotland”, the Idi Amin story, where the big dumb dictator was amused and liked the young ultra-liberal Scottish doctor who looked the other way at atrocities, until the big dumb dictator decided he didn’t like him and hung him by hooks through his nipples and other tortures until he whined to the UK authorities in Uganda to get him out who gave him a big “Boo-hoo! Boo-hoo! Where were you when he was dismembering his own people?”

Marcus on January 8, 2014 at 2:25 PM

“Is that ball edible?”

-North Korean Basketball fan

portlandon on January 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM

And after the party, Kim ill Goon will be serving RodMan Dog Food!
(sarc)

canopfor on January 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Hope he didn’t get lil’ Kim a puppy for his birthday.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM

“That’s all for my birfday – you give me little snack?”

I kinda hope he says the wrong thing and finds himself standing in a circle in the middle of a large empty field…..

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Hope he didn’t get lil’ Kim a puppy for his birthday.

DethMetalCookieMonst on January 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Maybe the party was BYOD….

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM

==================

That would be a hoot,…can’t wait for
the Broadway version!!

canopfor on January 8, 2014 at 2:35 PM

He should come home and run for governor of Colorado.

Ward Cleaver on January 8, 2014 at 2:36 PM

They are a perfect match. I heard they met on CrackpotMingle.

faraway on January 8, 2014 at 2:37 PM

American Kenneth Bae detained in North Korea
7h

Statement from family of American detained in North Korea on Dennis Rodman’s visits: ‘He is playing games with my brother’s life. There is no diplomacy, only games, and at my brother’s expense’ – via @NBCNews
=========

canopfor on January 8, 2014 at 2:37 PM

He should come home and run for governor of Colorado.

Ward Cleaver on January 8, 2014 at 2:36 PM

He wouldn’t be much worse than what we already have….

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I wonder who won the game? /

DarkCurrent on January 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Gee, I wonder which team won the game? /

DarkCurrent on January 8, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Another magnificent ambassador for America’s communities of color.

JEM on January 8, 2014 at 2:44 PM

And to think that Hollywood is stuck making sequels for lack of original material.

nico on January 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM

suddenly have an urge to watch team america world police again.

dmacleo on January 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I’m not sure which is worse….pics of this guy on
HotAir these days….or pics of DWS?

ToddPA on January 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM

“Everybody knows you never go full retard.”

Dennis apparently didn’t get the memo…

Roc on January 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM

canopfor on January 8, 2014 at 2:35 PM

nico on January 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM

But the big plot twist will be when Rodman goes to kill Kim, he finds out Kim is actually Bobby Lee under deep deep cover working on toppling NK from the inside.
The real Kim is in the witness protection program, now weighs 400 pounds and runs a chain of 7-11s in Orange County…..

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I’m not sure which is worse….pics of this guy on
HotAir these days….or pics of DWS?

ToddPA on January 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Pics of DWS are much worse.
Rodman has humor value – DWS is just disgusting.

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Gee, I wonder which team won the game? /

DarkCurrent on January 8, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Hey! Do not underestimate the athletic ability of the North Koreans. Lil Kim’s dad made a hole-in-one the very first time he played golf. Name one other place, other than North Korea, where you’d get to see that! Outside, perhaps, any given game with our rat-eared dictator at Andrews AFB.

Happy Nomad on January 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Gee, I wonder which team won the game? /

DarkCurrent on January 8, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Duh, in communism all win. Didn’t you see the audience clap for whomever scored?

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Is there anything more weird than Dennis Rodman in front of that crowd?

LetsBfrank on January 8, 2014 at 3:04 PM

The family is not happy.

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Dennis and his Rodmaneers

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Dennis Rodman travels to North Korea, January 2014
3m
Photo: Dennis Rodman and team play basketball for Kim Jong Un’s birthday – @AP
=================

canopfor on January 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM

What I see is a black man endorsing the forced slavery and mass murder of Koreans.

MichaelGabriel on January 8, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Happy Nomad on January 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM

And it’s just that simple, and nothing more: an utterly reprehensible whore of scumbag taking a paycheck from a mass murderer. For the life of me, I cannot fathom why Rodman would be allowed to return home.

M240H on January 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

They are a perfect match. I heard they met on CrackpotMingle.

faraway on January 8, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Are you sure it wasn’t WhackPeopleMeet.com?

M240H on January 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Mape Dis Word a Bettah Pace, Ip Doo Tan.
Happy Birfday Yo!

Buttercup on January 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Lunatics gotta stick together..useful idiots, the whole lot of them

sadsushi on January 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Mape Dis Word a Bettah Pace, Ip Doo Tan.
Happy Birfday Yo!

Buttercup on January 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Was he wearing a Marilyn Monroe dress when he sang that?

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Was he wearing a Marilyn Monroe dress when he sang that?

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Who Buckwheat? No I think it was overalls.

Buttercup on January 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Would be awesome if Kim through Rodman and the entire team in prison for winning the basketball game and shaming NK.

Vigilante on January 8, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Who Buckwheat? No I think it was overalls.

Buttercup on January 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM

No – Rodman.
I’m pretty sure that’s what he sang to lil Kim – and I wouldn’t have been surprised if he wore the same dress Marilyn Monroe wore when she sang to JFK.

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2014 at 7:04 PM

…California’s next governor…or New York City’s next mayor!

KOOLAID2 on January 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I have spent 2 years of my life in South Korea, when I was much younger. Truth be told, Rodman is younger, stronger, bigger and stupider than I have ever been…that said…I challenge the IDIOT Rodman to a cage match to the death…anytime, anywhere…in the free world. I would love to have that match. I’m 57. I’m overweight, I like to drink, alcohol, and I’m white…Hey Rodman! You are a BITCH cuz you can’t deal with me…IN A CAGE! Bitch!

Rodman is insignificant and is the wart on the ass of society.

OldWeaselKeeper on January 8, 2014 at 11:54 PM