Rumblings: More Republicans looking forward to midterms now than at this point in 2010

posted at 4:01 pm on January 8, 2014 by Allahpundit

Surprising, although it probably shouldn’t be. Any indicator that the GOP in 2014 might somehow outperform the big red wave of 2010 is noteworthy, but timing is everything here. I think.

p

In January 2010, ObamaCare hadn’t passed yet. Scott Brown was headed for victory in the Senate, imperiling the Democrats’ chances of getting it done. Republicans hadn’t reached peak outrage. In January 2014, we’ve just wrapped up three months of technological disaster, mass policy cancellations, and arbitrary weekly top-down tweaks by HHS to America’s new health-care regime. We may be at peak outrage now. I don’t think so — wait until small businesses start cutting insurance to their employees later this year — but it’s not unimaginable. It’ll be hard even for President Bumblefark to outdo the incompetence and imperiousness of late 2013. Notice too that Democrats are themselves more enthusiastic about the midterms right now than they were four years ago. I wouldn’t have expected that after the past three months, but maybe there’s some critical mass that thinks O-Care’s worst days are behind it and/or that the national game has moved on to issues like income inequality. All of these numbers help explain, I think, why you’re seeing seemingly contradictory headlines about congressional Republicans aiming for a light agenda this year and also pushing splashy anti-poverty ideas. The latter is a defense to the left’s inevitable “Republicans don’t care about the little guy” midterm messaging but the former reveals the truth that they’d rather not try anything ambitious when their base is already revved up to vote. Which means comprehensive immigration reform is, in the words of “The Princess Bride,” mostly dead for now.

One key question that’s unanswered, though: What about independents? There are a lot more of them than there are Republicans or Democrats. The fate of the Senate depends on which way they’re leaning and how enthusiastically. The most arresting graph in the Gallup poll that Ed posted earlier is the one showing a nine-point rise among indies in just the past year alone. I assume that’s being driven by contempt for the governing Democratic agenda on the one hand and contempt for the Republican-led House on the other, but which way that breaks electorally, I don’t know. It’s probably mostly a case of tea partiers and libertarians casting off the GOP label (as has been true for the past few years) while intending to vote Republican anyway, but some segment of these people may be so disaffected by gridlock and various government shenanigans — O-Care screw-ups, the shutdown, a slow economic grind that neither party can solve — that they’re just going to stay home. I’d rather know that than partisan enthusiasms right now.

I know, I know: This means I owe you a palate-cleanser later. Hmph.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

steebo77 on January 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Who’s that guy?

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

steebo77 on January 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

According to our resident moderates, it’s the only thing.

nobar on January 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

steebo77 on January 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Would much rather have Senate Majority Leader Matt Bevin ;)

dforston on January 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Hope ‘n Dope

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Can we please please please not just send incumbants back to continue their looting? D.C. needs to be purged of the swine that have taken up permanent residency there.

Murphy9 on January 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

steebo77 on January 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

besser tot als rot on January 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Which of course means this is a good time to purge the Republican party of all the dirty republicans in it because that’s the way to victory or something.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM

What? On the downhill slope of his tenure, no election upcoming for him, his ego-inflating poll numbers cratering, and a grudge against America larger than Jupiter? Pshaw! Let’s not forget a supine Congress willing to ignore his stone-cold illegal actions.

Dog Eater was an incompetent boob throwing out edicts on his way up, the man is going to go out with a bang.

Bishop on January 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Well, maybe. But even granting your reasoning that they won’t do amnesty because they don’t want to de-motivate the base, they could easily squeeze it through during the post-election lame duck period during November and December.

Boehner and McConnell *want* to pass an immigration bill before the 2016 cycle starts. Ergo, the cat is going get skinned one way or another.

Robert_Paulson on January 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

steebo77 on January 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

besser tot als rot on January 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Perfect. A non sequitur answer to a silly question. Better to have Harry Reid, a genuine traitor to the country. Because, purge or something..

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I don’t see how this poll represents any real advancement for the Republicans. In 2010, 60% of R’s were looking forward to the midterms compared to 48% of D’s. The Republicans are up by 3 points this year, but the Democrats are up by 5 points this year. Relatively speaking, that would imply a slightly worse performance by the Republicans this year.

That’s not even getting into the question of how many Republicans there are compared to how many Democrats. I mean, 100% of the Libertarians may be looking forward to the midterm elections, but that’s not going to be enough to get them elected. If there are more Democrats than Republicans, then a higher percentage of Republicans would have to vote compared to Democrats just to finish even with the Democrats, much less defeat them.

J.S.K. on January 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Wanted: DOOM posts on RedState.

22044 on January 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM

GOP nominee Blimp McButterpants will arrive just in time with a pair of AED paddles gripped tight in his sausagy fingers. No way he gets outdone by the Pantsuited Killer.

Bishop on January 8, 2014 at 4:12 PM

You know what would kill my enthusiasm? Amnesty. Keep that in mind, House Republicans. All the money in the world from the Chamber of Commerce don’t mean d-ck if we don’t show up at the polls on Election Day.

Doughboy on January 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

steebo77 on January 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

How about if we get a majority in the 2014 elections, and then have the Senate Republican caucus choose a different senator as the majority leader?

I am sure that if McConnell were the majority leader, he would do a lot of things we wouldn’t like. But if Reid is the majority leader, he won’t do anything we would like.

J.S.K. on January 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Time to crawl back into water hole you came from.

dforston on January 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM

J.S.K. on January 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM

The only way we’re going to get a republican senate majority leader different than McConnell is to defeat McConnell in the primary and take back the senate. McConnell has the votes already lined up otherwise.

dforston on January 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Gee, I’d love to get all excited and stuff, but, it kinda depends on how you define “Republicans”.

M240H on January 8, 2014 at 4:18 PM

So you mean to tell me that the caucus would choose someone like Cruz or Paul? Pass that choom.

J.S.K. on January 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Because sharing 10% of your principles is better than sharing 51% if they can win.

nobar on January 8, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

steebo77 on January 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

It’s better than Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, but that isn’t saying much. My problem with McConell is that he isn’t strong in defending the Republican Party, he tries to play too nice. Say what you will about him, but when Harry Reid goes on Sunday shows he comes out swinging every interview when going after Republicans. When can you say the same about McConnell?

I’m in the minority on here in not supporting a primary of McConnell, but I do think he needs to be replaced as the Republican leader in the senate.

midgeorgian on January 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Doughboy on January 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Indeed, amnesty would be a disaster for the Republican Party. It would:

1. alienate many of the party’s current voters;
2. fail to attract any significant number of current Democratic voters to the Republican Party; and
3. bring into the future voting population a large number of people who are likely to vote heavily Democratic and support future immigration laws to bring in more future Democratic voters.

It’s hard to think of a policy change that would be worse for the Republicans. For example, if the Republicans switched to an “Obamacare Forever!” policy on health care, that would also have problems number 1 and 2, but it wouldn’t also affect the future voting population.

J.S.K. on January 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM

J.S.K. on January 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Sure, we could ask them real nice like in a letter, maybe wrap it up with a cute bow and cover it with smiley-face stickers.

The job goes to whomever THEY decide gets the job, and ol’ saggy face has the pull to make the job his. Bonehead has been a clunk over in the House and despite the base screaming for someone different, the GOP did what, made a change or told us to pound sand?

Bishop on January 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Time to crawl back into[sic] water hole you came from.

dforston on January 8, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Nice… Is that Tanto, Tarzan or Frankenstein? Me not from waterhole, me number one son, me no crawl, me fly aluminum bird in sky. You savvy?

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I know this will seem at best flippant, but I am actually looking for a serious answer to this question:

When two candidates are running for office to represent me and neither of them represents my views, values, or aims for my district but one shares -but not in a manner that implements my desires- some of my views, why should I vote for either of them?

More succinctly, why should I assent to simply a slower rate of destruction?

M240H on January 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM

My unaffiliated votes hinge on whether the state GOP run status-quo, establishment type candidates or Constitutional Conservative, limited government type candidates.

If it’s the former, there is no way they’re getting my vote. I may even be inclined to vote (D) for the first time in my life. If it’s the latter, they can count on my vote 100%.

Meople on January 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM

You’re right, much better to have a guy who sells out for a dam. Because rah rah go team “R” or something.

nobar on January 8, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Neither McConnell nor Reid have any conservative principles.

Doomberg on January 8, 2014 at 4:27 PM

My wife has election day circled on her kitchen calendar. Not kidding. She has never been political in her life, and shes a registered Democrat, but she is sooooo ready for election day. The Democrats should be very wary.

MTF on January 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Neither McConnell nor Reid have any conservative principles.

Doomberg on January 8, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Heh, guess I over-qualified McConnell’s 10% (the 51% refers to Bevin or equivalent challenger).

nobar on January 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I know, I know: This means I owe you a palate-cleanser later. Hmph.
==================================================================

It better be magical and Orgasmical,..or not!!

canopfor on January 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I just said that we need to get a majority in the 2014 elections this year. If we can accomplish that without McConnell being a member of that majority, fine.

But defeating McConnell in the primary is only an accomplishment to be proud of if his Republican replacement wins the general election. Defeating McConnell in the primary but having a Democrat win the general would be a big loss.

J.S.K. on January 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

So,…No Witch’s this time eh,..(sarc)1

canopfor on January 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM

The deafening cacophony of concern trolling, disinformation, infighting, etc. approaching next Nov. is going to be epic.

Murphy9 on January 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM

J.S.K. on January 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I miiight call that a small loss or maybe a wash in your scenario.

But given McConnell’s pension for stabbing Conservatives in the back every chance he gets, I definitely would NOT call that a big loss.

Meople on January 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM

MTF on January 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM

A none political person circling election day on her kitchen calender?? Okkkkk.

loveofcountry on January 8, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Robert_Paulson on January 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Sources? Quotes? Evidence?

Johnnyreb on January 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Based on the prevailing winds coming out of the GOP, it appears they are trying to take a move right out of the Democratic playbook. Just like clockwork right around election time Democrats all of a sudden become more republican than the republican candidate and the true republican candidate usually says something very stupid that the Liberal Press will run with and brand every republican candidate. But, back to my original assertion. The GOP for some reason have given up on fiscal policies and are now joining with the Democrats in: unemployment benefits, immigration and appear to be warming up to Obamacare. Based on their sudden mood changes, who is a conservative to vote for? It appears we have Democrat and Democrat Lite for choices.

DDay on January 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM

loveofcountry on January 8, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Still no brains in Zeke here.

22044 on January 8, 2014 at 4:38 PM

It’s going to vary from state to state, but most polling I have seen shows Obamacare underwater by a large margin among independents, so if that is the focus of GOP campaigns they should win plenty of indies.

I really don’t get this inequality push by Democrats, do they really think this is going to save Mary Landrieu?

rockmom on January 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM

DDay on January 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM

In your scenario, I’ll vote (D) for the first time in my life.

Call it a protest vote, call it whatever you want. But in your scenario the (R) sure has hell wouldn’t get my vote.

I would rather the ship sinks like a rock, straight to the bottom, than to have the ship flounder for several weeks before finally, slowly, painfully sinking.

Meople on January 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM

the question is “Why are you looking forward to the elections”. If Democrats aren’t totally intellectually dishonest, it would be to vote out the Marxists they elected last time.

kirkill on January 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Dedicated to Team Lib/Dem/Tards:

Remember November
*****************

canopfor on January 8, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Bishop

Letters are good, as are phone calls, lots of them, as are personal visits and disrupting town halls and all of the other things that can be done and ARE done by the opposition. We stopped amnesty that way before, remember?

M240H on January 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Fair enough, I shall do my best.

If neither are genuinely going to do anything to represent your values then I suppose that you are screwed. You might think about running yourself or re-examining your values because if no one is genuinely addressing them they might be pretty far out of the mainstream. If one is closer than the other you vote for the one who you agree with most and then work to keep them accountable. Vote for the best electable and then work to keep them in line. You are never going to get perfection because people aren’t perfect. The last perfect person we saw we nailed to a cross.
There are compromises we face in life: She’s beautiful ; She’s crazy, It’s fast : It guzzles gas. Tastes good : makes you fat. You take the best that you can get and work to make it better. To do otherwise, IMHO, is to turn your back on a lot of effort and sacrifice that it took to build what has been given to us.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM

J.S.K. on January 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

How about allowing Kentucky voters to choose? If they reelect McConnell to be their Senator that is their prerogative. If you don’t want him to be Majority leader, do something about THAT, work on your GOP Senator to support someone else for Majority Leader.

rockmom on January 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Didn’t we lead in enthusiasm trending into the 2012 national elections?

casuist on January 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM

No, it’s the perfect time for amnesty and bipartisan compromise because that’s the way to victory or something.

BoxHead1 on January 8, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Ashley Judd 2014!

WhatSlushfund on January 8, 2014 at 4:48 PM

It’s telling Republican leadership refuses to try anything ‘ambitious’ because they’re afraid of upsetting the base–which tells you where their ambitions lie, if nothing else.

I don’t think the Democrats have that problem. Get this: Democratic Party leadership actually strives to fulfill the expectations of the hard-Left neo-Marxists comprising its base. Dem leaders actually agree with their base on the glories of the socialist superstate, and would declare the United States a People’s Republic tomorrow if they could get away with it. The only thing holding them back is pure pragmatism. As it is, Democratic leaders harness the energy of their base and use that energy to push policies, move legislation, and win elections.

Straight-ticket-voting conservative Republican voters, on the other hand, can’t take their eyes off national-level Republican politicians even for an instant for fear of betrayal.

It shouldn’t be this way. If the GOP wants my money and my vote, then its leadership needs to make a decision about what the Republican Party stands for, what it means to be a Republican. For example, the Tories in the UK decided to sell themselves as the better, more efficient managers of the welfare state. Is that what GOP leadership wants? If so, then they need to say so. Otherwise, they need to start listening to the their own base and start acting like a genuine opposition party.

troyriser_gopftw on January 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM

While you’re making fun of other people’s posts… you might check the spelling of ‘Tonto’.

thatsafactjack on January 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM

President Bumblefark

Doesn’t have the same ring as president dog-eater.

Lanceman on January 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Doomberg on January 8, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Harry Reid declared Iraq” lost” at the beginning of the surge, while we had men in the field getting shot at. I have no doubt this got Soldiers and Marines killed. He did that and many, many other things because he wanted the Iraq war lost to score petty, partisan political points. He wanted the defeat as a millstone to hang around Bush’s neck. Getting our troops killed to budge the poll numbers is treason. So yeah, even assuming that McConnell is a scumbag, he’s still better than a traitor. A literal traitor.
Importantly, in terms of this discussion, McConnel can be badgered into doing the right thing, Reid doesn’t care what most people on this site think and doesn’t care if they know it.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM

rockmom on January 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM

We will. It appears there has been some shenanigans going on with Alison Grimes campaign. The Independent candidate has accused Ms. Grimes of attempting to bribe him to leave the race.

The plot thickens.

Johnnyreb on January 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM

The gullible and ignorant will see those nauseating commercials featuring Senator X or Representative Y talking to some hard hats, teachers and/or school kids, and, most importantly, a group of seniors, presumably at a retirement home. Shirtsleeves for the men, a cozy sweater for the women.

And the saps will vote for these kleptocrats again.

jangle12 on January 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM

So we’ll be told.

casuist on January 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Didn’t we lead in enthusiasm trending into the 2012 national elections?

casuist on January 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I’m basically ignoring any polls that show us as being ahead until the amnesty issue is decided one way or another. I think the GOP is going to pass it, and I think it will change everything. It’s still possible we might win some seats in 2014, but certainly once 30 million Democrats come online, we will get creamed in 2016.

J.S.K. on January 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Not necessarily. McConnell has been tremendously harmful to our party and had led us to crushing defeat after defeat, along with Boehner. It would be unfortunate to lose his seat, but I think it’s even more harmful for us to have a “George McClellan” – or worse, a “Benedict Arnold” – in charge of the Senate Republicans.

Doomberg on January 8, 2014 at 4:57 PM

troyriser_gopftw on January 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM

This is the thing that kills me the most. Right now we effectively have no opposition party in this country. Except for Cruz and Paul. We have a two-man opposition party, but that doesn’t really mean anything.

It’s fundamentally unhealthy for any democracy to lack an opposition party. And I’d say this even if today I was a flaming liberal.

WhatSlushfund on January 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I like a 36 oz bat, thanks.

mojo on January 8, 2014 at 4:59 PM

BoxHead1 on January 8, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Gee, if it’s something you are opposed to, you might have to roll up your sleeves. I wonder who you can influence more?

thatsafactjack on January 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Spelling, eh.. Perhaps I was referring to this… Oh well, at least you didn’t label it racist.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM

There comes a time when everyone has to draw the line. That line for me sits squarely on ObamaCare and Immigration Reform.

I’m an Independent.

I will not support any member of the political class who has a hand in sustaining ObamaCare or passing any from of amnesty. It’s really that simple.

Want my vote? Stand up for American citizens and the rule of law.

thatsafactjack on January 8, 2014 at 5:01 PM

…If one is closer than the other you vote for the one who you agree with most and then work to keep them accountable.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM

There IS no accountability in Washington. None. See examples: McCain, McConnell, Grahamnesty, Collins, King, insert any of the other multitude of career, establishment, Dimocrat-Lite Republicans here.

…Vote for the best electable and then work to keep them in line. You are never going to get perfection because people aren’t perfect. The last perfect person we saw we nailed to a cross.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM

No one’s looking for perfect. We’re just looking for people that will keep their word (for once) to fight for what we believe in:

Decrease spending, waste, fraud and abuse
Secure the border
Fight for smaller, less intrusive government
Lower taxes and not cave to Dimocrats to RAISE THEM

And lastly, to not stab us in the back every chance they get.

Hardly perfection.

Tell me, how have the establishment Republicans in Congress, done on ANY of the items I list above?

Piss poor, that’s how.

Meople on January 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Legislation maybe, MAYBE, getting the entrenched lifers to choose someone as majority leader who isn’t “the next guy in line”, no chance. I’ve already had an earful from the GOP telling me and the other people who gave them their 2010 victory to sit down and vote for them and shut up, my faith in their actually listening is now hovering at ground level.

Bishop on January 8, 2014 at 5:03 PM

IMHO, most of those independents are former republicans.

jukin3 on January 8, 2014 at 5:03 PM

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Sure you were. That wasn’t even a decent effort.

thatsafactjack on January 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM

IMHO, most of those independents are former republicans.

jukin3 on January 8, 2014 at 5:03 PM

*raises hand.

I would have chosen the Conservative party, but that wasn’t an option in my state, so unaffiliated it is.

Meople on January 8, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

steebo77 on January 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

a bad thing …. Senate Majority Leader Cruz ….

conservative tarheel on January 8, 2014 at 5:06 PM

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Why would you put [sic] like some kinda stupidhead (spelling is correct as in same as original) after ‘into’? Into the water is correct English.

Unless you were attempting to attack his, uh, spelling.

Lanceman on January 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM

It’s gonna BURN!

AllahsNippleHair on January 8, 2014 at 5:09 PM

AllahsNippleHair on January 8

Change your dam[sic] name! I’m sicka seein’ you when I’m eating!

Lanceman on January 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM

midgeorgian on January 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM

McConnell is a brilliant legislative and parlimentarian tactician, and it would be stupid as Hell to replace him.

All of the McConnell haters — name me one GOP US Senator, then in office, who could have held together all 40 GOP votes against Obamacare, all the while the MSM + Obama/Reid/Schumer were begging them, bribing them, threatening them to break with the GOP leadership to give the Obamacare monstrosity the patina of bipartisanship.

McConnell did a BRILLIANT job of keeping a fracturered and ideologically diverse caucus together.

Being a senate leader is not an easy job. There are essentially 100 free agents.

matthew8787 on January 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM

The rise in independents over the last three years had to come from the ranks of Republicans since the Democrats have been flat-lining since then while we’ve declined.

Whether they will vote with us or not depends on who they are. I suspect they are mostly people who would be called nominal Republicans at best, like those who identified following 9/11. They are closer to “swing voters” than Republicans. They will vote with us if the wind blows our way, because that’s how they vote.

~~

The other big group of new independents are affiliated with Tea Party or Libertarian voters who are mad with the GOP leadership. Of those, the disaffected Republicans who call everyone who does not leave the Party a RINO have declared their intentions to vote only for “their” people, meaning conservatives who pay them lip service. How they will actually vote remains to be seen.

The Libertarian component has repeatedly demonstrated they don’t give a rip about the GOP or winning elections, they are largely the sort of Paulbots that believe strictly in all or nothing, and in fact prefer nothing to something because it leaves them more to complain over.

Adjoran on January 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Meople on January 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I just tend to automatically disregard the people who claim that we are looking for some unreachable standard of perfectionism and that the Republicans are “99.99% on your side.” It’s just a dishonest rhetorical tactic designed to delegitimize otherwise valid criticisms of the party.

Doomberg on January 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM

There are essentially 100 free agents.

matthew8787 on January 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Not Mark Kirk and Gillibrand.

Lanceman on January 8, 2014 at 5:18 PM

matthew8787 on January 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Really? And please enlighten me as to exactly what, that wizbang job of keeping 40 Republican Senators in line and miraculously getting them to actually follow the will of their CONSTITUENTS that put them there, FOR ONCE, has gotten us today.

I’ll wait.

Meople on January 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM

AllahsNippleHair on January 8

Change your dam[sic] name! I’m sicka seein’ you when I’m eating!

Lanceman on January 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM

You’re just jealous.

AllahsNippleHair on January 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Meople

Did we stop amnesty before?

Decrease spending, waste, fraud and abuse
Secure the border
Fight for smaller, less intrusive government
Lower taxes and not cave to Dimocrats to RAISE THEM

All laudable.

And lastly, to not stab us in the back every chance they get.

Overstating it just a bit, right?

Where is this “establishment” that you speak of? I’m not sure it exists.

Re.Lanceman

Why would you put [sic] like some kinda stupidhead[sic] (spelling is correct as in same as original) after ‘into’? Into the water is correct English.

Because [sic] doesn’t automatically signify it’s a spelling mistaken, it means reproduced as written complete with any [...] other nonstandard presentation.
Time to crawl back into (THE) water hole you came from. And Waterhole? Huh?

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Sure you were. That wasn’t even a decent effort.

thatsafactjack on January 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Racist.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:28 PM

matthew8787 on January 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Oh please! I’ll be charitable and deem you naive and not a flaming idiot. Obamacare was not a tough vote to keep the party together on. And the bribes were going to Mary “Louisiana Purchase” Landrieu and Ben “cornhusker kickback” Nelson. You can’t be tempted by bribes you don’t get!

Remember, the Dems did not want GOP support for Obamacare. They wanted full credit because they thought they would get a majority for life once it kicked in with all that free stuff. Well, they are now getting full credit.

In short, stop revising history to prop up the establishment GOP.

Happy Nomad on January 8, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Sure you were. That wasn’t even a decent effort.

thatsafactjack on January 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Racist.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:28 PM

You’ve amply demonstrated that you’re possessed of an ego that doesn’t allow you to admit an error, thus rendering anything further you might wish to express without value. Why add rank stupidity to your list of personal character flaws? Keep walking.

thatsafactjack on January 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Quite a bit rests on Amnesty. If the Republicans are stupid enough to push it, whether or not is succeeds, all bets are off on how well they’ll perform this year. I have a feeling if they go for Amnesty they’re going to fall short of capturing the Senate and possibly lose some seats in the House.

Resist your stupidity Republicans! Resist it!!!

Ukiah on January 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM

V7_Sport

Nahh, better to have a republican like McConnell who told Rubio to exploit his conservative cred and lie to republicans to try and get them to accept Obama and Schumer’s amnesty plan. But he’s not a traitor or anything, lol.

rockmom

Right…because a senator from Kentucky makes decisions/choices that only affect Kentucky. It’s not like the amnesty he supports will affect other states or anything. BTW, should Karl Rove stay out of the race too since he’s not from Kentucky?

matthew8787

Drawing a name out of a hat should get you the answer to your question. But nice job illustrating the problem with the republican party these days: They’re so willing to vote for democrat legislation no matter how bad it is that it takes a master of a leader to keep them from doing so. But yeah, let’s keep sending these folks back to Washington.

xblade on January 8, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Wholeheartedly agree.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Is this the same McConnell who accepts pork in order to vote along with Democrats, and has openly declared war on conservatives?

Midas on January 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Resist your stupidity Republicans! Resist it!!!

Ukiah on January 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Of late it sounds like they’re going to go a sneaky ‘piece meal’ approach, that Boehner and Obama have seemingly already discussed as ending up with the whole thing in place.

Midas on January 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Tell me how anything will be different with Mitch McConnell as majority leader? The battle line will simply extend from the Senate to the President. If we couldn’t get a showdown at one battle line what makes you think we can get one at the other?

blink on January 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Because Republican! Or something.

Midas on January 8, 2014 at 5:45 PM

blink on January 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Tell me how anything will be different with Mitch McConnell as majority leader?

You won’t have Obama stacking the courts with political judges, you won’t have the democrats in charge of the senate comities that set the rules, you will have actual oversight of the EPA fore instance, where Obama has passed laws by executive fiat that regulate huge swaths of the economy.

The battle line will simply extend from the Senate to the President.

Progress.

thatsafactjack on January 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Yes dear, I paid the cable bill and took out the garbage. Sure you mother can come for a visit.

thus rendering anything further you might wish to express without value.

Sorry I didn’t take your spelling correction more seriously, oh wait, no, not that sorry.

Why add rank stupidity to your list of personal character flaws? Keep walking.

OK, because I blew off your spelling correction any opinion is without value. That perfect logical progression right there folks. Send me your paypal account number and I’ll send you enough to buy a sense of humor.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Did we stop amnesty before?

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM

We did, but only because the Republican party didn’t sell us out and go along with the DimocRats in support of it. Now a good portion of them are doing just that.

All laudable.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Laudable? Those USED to be major, unquestioned, rock-solid planks that Conservatives could count on the GOP to hold true to. This is no longer the case.

Overstating it just a bit, right?

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Not lately. When’s the last time a portion of the GOP openly declared war on the Conservative base in the party?

Where is this “establishment” that you speak of? I’m not sure it exists.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Establishment, Progressives, whatever you want to call them. They exist and are the main reason I’m no longer a registered Republican. Claiming they don’t exist is just asinine.

Meople on January 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Who’s looking forward to the return of gumbyandpokey!

Chuck Schick on January 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Meople

Did we stop amnesty before?

We will have to organize and make our voices heard, It would be more effective if we had people in office who actually listened rather than those who think we are racist scum for wanting our borders enforced. It would be more effective if we would take a break from sniping at each other and focus on the real enemies.

They still are planks of the GOP party, it may fall on us to remind our representatives of that.

What good is a shut down going to do when the Senate is controlled by the democrats and the president will veto a repeal of the bill you are shutting down government to repeal?

Establishment seems to mean “anyone who I disagree with at any given moment”.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Time to crawl back into (THE) water hole you came from. And Waterhole? Huh?

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM

My bad. I’ll give you that one.

Tanto.

Lanceman on January 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Those people make up the Idiot Party.

Vince on January 8, 2014 at 6:01 PM

My bad. I’ll give you that one.

Tanto.

Lanceman on January 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Ok Lanceman we smoke-em peace pipe.

On that, I’m headed home for even more bickering.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM

On that, I’m headed home for even more bickering.

V7_Sport on January 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM

The ol’ lady? Or the kids.

Lanceman on January 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM

V7_Sport

Did we stop amnesty before?

Who are the real enemies? The Democrats that are now and always have pushed for Amnesty as long as they think they can gain Dem voters out of it? Or the Republicans that are helping them and also support it? I say both.

That is exactly what I am doing, by supporting their primary challengers, and then if they survive that, by possibly voting against them in the general election.

Ah yes, it goes back to this. The gains from Cruz, Lee etc, doing what they did, FAR outweighed the losses. It got the country talking about ObamaGlitch. And for once in the last decade it put Obama and Dims on defense for a change.

Establishment seems to mean “anyone who I disagree with at any given moment”.

That’s not how I characterized the Establishment at all. I cited very clear examples in my first reply to you, which I will list again. McCain, McConnell, Grahamnesty, King, Collins, etc. Basically all the progressive Republicans that have declared war on the Conservative base. Which I used to be a life-long, proud member of until last year.

Meople on January 8, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I think we (GOP) hold onto the House but I don’t know if we can win a majority in the Senate..It is going to be close..:)

Dire Straits on January 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Dire Straits on January 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM

About right. America’s gotten just too phuckin’ stupid.

Lanceman on January 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM

About right. America’s gotten just too phuckin’ stupid.

Lanceman on January 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Good point..I will add that folks are not voting anymore..:(

Dire Straits on January 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I don’t think so. See, this perpetuates a common piece of idiocy out there. The contempt for the Republican-led House thing is pretty much an non-sequitur. The reason this gets traction is apparently people seem to believe that the House has some way of making Harry Reid in the Senate bend to its will. It doesn’t. The House has passed dozens of bills that sit on Reid’s desk. The only bills people DO hear about are the ones that get past Reid.

This is the sort of reporting that panders to the “low information voters” of the right. BOTH sides have their own sets of low information voters that simply parrot talking points and propaganda memes and that is one of those propaganda memes.

The REAL reason people are ditching both parties is that they are pretty much sick of the far left and the far right attempting to define their respective parties. The Democrats have their uber-progressive idiots who alienate more center Democrats. The Republicans have their uber-conservative idiots doing the same thing to more center Republicans. The result is the both parties are going to end up walking themselves out into irrelevance.

Extreme progressive stuff plays really well in very deep blue states and extreme conservative stuff does well in really deep red states but most states are neither. The people leaving both parties just want the idiocy to stop.

crosspatch on January 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Johnnyreb on January 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Ok, here you go:

– Evidence that McConnell wants an immigration reform bill –

McConnell urges House GOP to move immigration legislation

Even though McConnell voted against the Senate immigration reform bill, he hopes the House will pass something that can be melded with the Senate proposal in conference negotiations.
(7/14/2013)

– Evidence that Boehner wants an immigration reform bill —

John Boehner works on immigration ‘principles’

Speaker John Boehner told colleagues Wednesday morning Republicans are working on a list of “principles” for immigration reform.
(1/8/2014)

John Boehner resurrects immigration reform

If personnel is policy then House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is serious about immigration reform.
(12/3/2013)

Boehner gives immigration backers hope

On immigration, Holler [communications director of Heritage Action for America] warned that any deal including a pathway to citizenship would have grave consequences for the GOP’s capacity to energize its grassroots supporters.

“There have been signals from high-ranking Republicans for some time that they were going to ‘address immigration’ in 2014. When they say that, it is typically code for some sort to amnesty,” Holler said. “That is a major concern, not just for policy reasons, but because you can’t afford that, heading into a midterm election when you need your base to turn out.”
(12/13/2013)