Video: Hey, who’s up for a new season of “House of Cards”?

posted at 8:01 pm on January 7, 2014 by Allahpundit

My New Year’s resolution was to give you guys more palate-cleansers to atone for my navel-gazing about polls, so here you go. Box checked. The next time you catch me babbling about which demographic subsamples support legalizing weed, just know that that means an overanalysis of a new “Old Spice” commercial is on the way.

Season two’s due out on Valentine’s Day and, I’m a bit ashamed to say, I’m looking forward to it. Something about HOC makes me feel bad for enjoying it. It’s not just that most of the characters are diabolical, it’s that the show doesn’t seem to know how seriously it wants you to take it. Are we supposed to laugh when Spacey breaks the fourth wall and uncorks one of his ain’t-I-a-stinker aphorisms about government or are we supposed to feel bad when he has the sympathetic Weiner-esque Peter Russo liquidated? It’s a strange mix of intense, intricately-plotted drama and hamminess, although I can’t tell if that’s by design or because Spacey insisted on making Frank as arch and hammy as possible. He seems at times to be acting in a different show from everyone else. Maybe the production was intended as a serious drama and then, when he took an interest in it, the producers couldn’t say no to a big name and decided to let him play the character any way he wants. As it is, the show sometimes feels like “All the King’s Men” as imagined by Neil LaBute. Weird — but watchable.

And no, your eyes aren’t deceiving you. That’s the real Chris Matthews making a cameo here. My sense from Twitter is that establishment media types love, love, love this show because of the glamorous Machiavellian intrigue it lends to their otherwise mostly dreary beat. If the writers are smart, they’ll cook up a plot next season involving Frank trying to kill someone at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner. Every media bigshot in America will volunteer for a cameo.

Comments

I am, especially since I just finished Lillyhammer.

Mr. Joe on January 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM

It appears to have the same “tone” as the original.

Blake on January 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I want to check out this show but I don’t have Netflicks

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I love it simply because they buck the predictable Hollywood trend and made a Democratic main character an absolute unabashed sociopath.

Archades on January 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

One thing that made me chuckle regarding the UK production is that there were always rats scurrying around. Guess they needed a lot of rat wranglers.

Blake on January 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Never heard of it.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Archades on January 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

The main character is a Democrat?

Wow. That’s a surprise.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Do they refer to him as F.U. in this production? I can’t remember.

Blake on January 7, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I want a re-do of the pilot show.
Except, the pols get the ‘dog’ treatment. One every episode.
Call it Town Square.

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Never heard of it. But Justified starts tonight.

cozmo on January 7, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I’m still nostalgic for the BBC original with Ian Richards as Francis Urquhart…saw it a long time ago and it’s hard to get into the Spacey version.

AUINSC on January 7, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Never heard of it.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Count your blessings.

Thomas More on January 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Dump Spacey and watch 45 seasons of Top Gear UK.
More entertaining.

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Can’t wait.

Kataklysmic on January 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Dump Spacey and watch 45 seasons of Top Gear UK.
More entertaining.

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Best.Show.Ever!

Murphy9 on January 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I think the actress in this show is Pajama Boy’s girlfriend.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM

In those few dark minutes when I think I have too much time on my hands, I think of people who watch television entertainment like this and like the one involving zombies, and I wonder … why?

Then again, in my boring world the only acceptable form of entertainment involves intelligent, attractive women and actual, live sex, with maybe a cocktail or two thrown in for good measure. Call me old school, but never have been into 2D for funzies.

TXUS on January 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM

The main character is a Democrat?

Wow. That’s a surprise.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Yes, but really, all the characters are Democrats. I honestly can’t remember seeing a single Republican, at any point, during season one. If there were any Republicans, they played such minor roles that they were basically extras. This show is entirely about Democrats screwing themselves over while trying to get power any way they can.

I liked a lot about the first season, but could have done without *****SPOILER ALERT***** the “Frank is gay, or at least bi” episode and Frank literally killing Russo—the instant you make the Machiavellian power broker into a literal murderer, he stops being an effective antihero and just becomes a villain, and if it’s not possible to like Frank anymore, there’s not much of a reason to watch the show. *****SPOILER ALERT OVER*****

WesternActor on January 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Dump Spacey and watch 45 seasons of Top Gear UK.
More entertaining.

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Best.Show.Ever!

Murphy9 on January 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Ever!

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 8:26 PM

WesternActor on January 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Yeah that plot seems a bit much. I think every politician is incredibly power hungry……but willing to murder for power….uh, no.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Dump Spacey and watch 45 seasons of Top Gear UK.
More entertaining.

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Agreed. Top Gear is highly entertaining. And, of course, Jeremy Clarkson once punched Piers Morgan in the face, so he should be a folk hero just for that.

HTL on January 7, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Obama forced them to rush production because he was bored.

mattshu on January 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM

The thing that bothered me about it is that there was no reason for Frank to do it. He had set things up so that Peter’s career was completely over anyway, and that he could never wield any sort of power again, and isn’t the whole point of the show that, in D.C., power is everything? So Russo was already dead in every way that would have mattered to him—he may still have had a heartbeat and been able to walk around, but that was incidental. He could either have left the city in disgrace or actually killed himself, and Frank would never have had to get his hands dirty. I honestly didn’t believe that Frank, as written, would want to risk actually being the cause of Peter’s death; and, as I said, actually showing him onscreen committing the final acts that caused Peter to die make him an actual monster, not just someone who gets off on power. And that kind of person is far less interesting to watch and, really, impossible to root for even a little.

I imagine I’ll watch season two, but doing that to Frank really turned me off. It’s not smart dramaturgy at all.

WesternActor on January 7, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Dump Spacey and watch 45 seasons of Top Gear UK.
More entertaining.

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM

HTL on January 7, 2014 at 8:32 PM

They should make a series about THAT! Lol.

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 8:36 PM

They are democrats but… one episode is about writing an education bill with school choice.

It’s a really good show. Watch it!

dforston on January 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM

It’s a really good show. Watch it!

dforston on January 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Don’t have Netflix

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 8:43 PM

It’s a really good show. Watch it!

dforston on January 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Don’t have Netflix

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Yea, gotta have Netflix to watch it. It’s $7.99 a month and there’s lots of other stuff on there to stream. Worth if you got the extra cash.

dforston on January 7, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Raylan Givens 2016

faraway on January 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Yeah, I started to watch it but then Kevin Spacey had sex with the young reporter and I thought, ha, ha, ha, ha… and couldn’t watch anymore. There is only so much disbelief I can willingly suspend.

Fallon on January 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM

got all but 2 seasons of red green show on dvd here, watching that instead

dmacleo on January 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM

never heard of it but its got to be better than a yoko ono seance.

SparkPlug on January 7, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Fallon on January 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM

That’s how far I got. Only so much Pepto in the world.
Besides the fact that Robin Wright looks like a female James Carville.

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 9:02 PM

never heard of it but its got to be better than a yoko ono seance.

didn’t Cozmo attend a yoko ono seance to cleanse his chakra?

yes he did.

SparkPlug on January 7, 2014 at 9:02 PM

yeah baby

mr cmsinaz and I binged on HOC in a 4 day period last season…

cmsinaz on January 7, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I’m almost done with season 5 of X-Files.

Murphy9 on January 7, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Woman of the Year: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-boland/girl-scouts-tweet-story-touts-wendy-davis-woman-year

davidk on January 7, 2014 at 8:40 PM

No cookies this year. I will give a donation to the local troop but not once cent will go to the organization. Starve the beast Cookie Monster.

Fallon on January 7, 2014 at 9:08 PM

davidk on January 7, 2014 at 8:40 PM

The Girl Scouts of America went down the “Godless, secular hole”, a long time ago . . . : (

listens2glenn on January 7, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Good show. Liked Season 1. But the British version is better.

PackerBronco on January 7, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Fallon on January 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM

That’s how far I got. Only so much Pepto in the world.
Besides the fact that Robin Wright looks like a female James Carville.

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 9:02 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH . . . . . . . . . . .

I will NOT thank you for the mental image.

There’s gotta be something in the Geneva Convention, against saying things like that

listens2glenn on January 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Never heard of it.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Count your blessings.

Thomas More on January 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM

That bad, huh?

In the interest of being open-minded, I’ve tried watching some of these TV shows that have come out over the last 20 years that are supposed to be so cutting edge and trendy (24, The X Files, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, etc.) and personally I was bored by what I saw and thought they sucked.

They’ll just have to count on others for Nielsen ratings and ad revenue.

Personally, I am much more entertained watching many (not all, but many) of the TV shows and movies that came out mostly from the early ’70s on back.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Never heard of it.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Count your blessings.

Thomas More on January 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM

That bad, huh?

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Dittos to all three of you.

listens2glenn on January 7, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I watch very little non-news, or non-sports TV.

But occasionally I’ll come across one of these 1970s sitcoms, and watch it.
They are sooo much better than anything produced today.

listens2glenn on January 7, 2014 at 9:29 PM

The main character is a Democrat?

Wow. That’s a surprise.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Yes, and the bad guy. But he’s a Southern Democrat, so it balances itself out in the eyes of Hollywood.

Punchenko on January 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Fallon on January 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM
That’s how far I got. Only so much Pepto in the world.
Besides the fact that Robin Wright looks like a female James Carville.

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 9:02 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH . . . . . . . . . . .

I will NOT thank you for the mental image.

listens2glenn on January 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Robin Wright Shemale doing the piggly wiggly with THE James Carville.
I heart water boarding!

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 9:43 PM

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM

WesternActor on January 7, 2014 at 8:35 PM

I suspect that the difficulty you are having with this is in the translation from the original British program, and the desire of the American writers/producers to mimic as many scenes/story arcs as possible.

In the original story, the only character I can remember F.U. (Francis Urquhart) murdering (until the very end, of course) was the P.R. guy. Who was unstable and in the middle of a nervous breakdown that would surely have Revealed Everything. So it made perfect sense, in a cold-blooded sort of way. Which, especially if you have seen Ian Richardson in the role of F.U., makes perfect sense. I think the book was originally as much as an amusing tale about what a psychopath would do in a position of power, as it was about what politicians do in their struggles for supremacy.

In the book, F.U. commits suicide at the end. In the British teleplay he throws the reporter off the roof and goes on to two sequels.

HTL on January 7, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Meh, I’m holding out for this television event.

whatcat on January 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I enjoyed season 1 when it was a well kept secret (some scenes were unnecessary and gratuitous imo), and I’m anticipating second season. My concern is where they’ll push the envelope and if they’ll derail in this season. Sudden popularity does that.

conservative pilgrim on January 7, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Punchenko on January 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Ha. That’s so true.

conservative pilgrim on January 7, 2014 at 9:50 PM

WesternActor on January 7, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Russo threatened Frank about coming clean on everything. Simply torpedoing his campaign was only the first step. Frank likely would have had to come up with another plan to shut him up permanently had this murder not presented itself on a silver platter. The opportunity and convenience was perfect.

Anyway, I really like the show. It’s shockingly apolitical regarding parties. It’s not about any ideology in particular but the inner workings of D.C. and power. Frank despises intellectual lightweights who make it to the top by being at the right place at the right time while he has to claw his way there. Very interesting.

Dongemaharu on January 7, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Agree, which is why when it first came out I didn’t watch Breaking Bad. However, AMC ran a Holiday marathon of the series. I was hooked and I highly recommend it. A lot going on about the seeds we sow in life rearing their ugly heads. How our actions have consequences we wouldn’t expect. Themes much different from other TV fare. You can catch most of it on Netflix if you have it, except for the last eight episodes.

Thomas More on January 7, 2014 at 10:01 PM

My lib daughter told me I would like this show, so it must hit Dems hard. I’ll have to check it out.

HellCat on January 7, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Yes, but really, all the characters are Democrats. If there were any Republicans, they played such minor roles that they were basically extras.

WesternActor on January 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM

So it’s a documentary then, eh?

Bruno Strozek on January 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM

HTL on January 7, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I agree. I watched the British version after watching the American one and the American one does follow the British one closely. I am hoping F.U. (Underwood) tosses Zoe off a roof. She’s annoying. Thank God the American version did not play up the “daddy” thing like the British one though. That was creepy.

HawaiiLwyr on January 7, 2014 at 11:31 PM

It’s a really good show. Watch it!

dforston on January 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Don’t have Netflix

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 8:43 PM

dforston on January 7, 2014 at 8:45 PM

It is out on DVD as well now.

ptcamn on January 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM

It’s entertaining but hard to take seriously — Democrats standing up to the teachers’ unions? DC journalists pushing hard to uncover a Democrat politician’s scandal? Pure fantasy…

blue13326 on January 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM

WesternActor – I endorse your points. The murder got me to thinking the series would wrap up in the one season and I was a little surprized and let down when it didn’t. You have to build up to that kind of desperation, leading to the ultimate destruction of the protagonist – it’s Elizabethan tragedy!

In retrospect, I think it would have been far better if they had Frank’s henchman take out Russo on the basis of misunderstanding an order from Frank. It implicates Frank, but leaves enough wiggle room to identify with the character for a few more seasons and extend his path to self immolation.

Oh, hell – I’m gonna watch anyway!

Cricket624 on January 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM

The great thing about House of Cards is the admission of how truly manipulative and evil politics truly is… that, and you don’t have to like any one character for very long. Everyone is evil.

The only technical problem I have is the attempt to portray the media as heroic rather than the lapdogs they are and the minimizing of the huge role the blogosphere has in today’s politics.

2nd Ammendment Mother on January 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM