McCain: I’m thinking Chris Christie in 2016

posted at 4:41 pm on January 7, 2014 by Allahpundit

Can I resist a clip of the Hot Air faithful’s least favorite Republican kinda sorta endorsing their second-least favorite Republican? No, my friends, I cannot. An opportunity like this to troll one’s own audience comes, at most, once a year. It’s a rare alignment of the RINO stars, like, say, Mike Huckabee endorsing Lindsey Graham. Which, come to think of it, also almost just happened — until Huck declared it a false alarm. Go figure that a guy who’s thinking of running in 2016 doesn’t want to get ahead of the curve in backing Grahamnesty.

In fairness to Maverick, he also mentions Jindal as someone he likes. The point here isn’t to quasi-endorse Christie — although, given Christie’s softness on immigration and antagonism towards Paul on national security, it’s a cinch that McCain will end up backing him. The point is to emphasize that he wants the next nominee to be a governor, not a senator. There are good reasons to agree with him on that, but what’s driving ol’ Mav isn’t some philosophical judgment about the comparative merits of executives versus legislators. (How could it be when he won the nomination himself as a senator?) The point is that he disdains his “wacko bird” colleagues in the Senate who are likely to run — Paul first and foremost and, of course, Cruz. Interestingly, that would also rule out Rubio, who’s as hawkish as the new generation of Republicans gets and who famously sided with McCain in championing amnesty last year. You would think he’d be a natural target for Maverick’s support. Is McCain sore at him for inching away from immigration reform over the last few months or is this more a product of Rubio having stolen his thunder as the great Republican hope on immigration earlier?

Note how he frames the 2016 contest too, as a battle of isolationists and internationalists. Paul’s the only one in the field who even arguably qualifies as an isolationist, and Jindal’s foreign-policy views are sufficiently low key that I couldn’t give you even a one-sentence summary of where he stands. He is, I assume, reliably hawkish, but he’s a guy who made his bones on domestic policy. Weird that McCain would go out of his way to name him as an attractive candidate when he’s imagining the election as some sort of referendum on hawks versus doves.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bishop! ain’t reading about McCain

DanMan on January 7, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Yet you do it multiple times a day.

Murphy9 on January 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM

HEY!!!

If Chrissie and Johnny want to openly declare their love for each other????

More power to them!!!

I’m sure they could get Bill Clinton to get an internet license and officiate at their wedding.

;->

PolAgnostic on January 7, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I’m thinking of throwing up.

kingsjester on January 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Ain’t gonna happen…

sandee on January 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM

McCain: I’m thinking Chris Christie …

Wishin’ and hopin’ and thinkin’ and prayin’ …
Plannin’ and dreamin’ each night of his charms …
That won’t get you into his arms …

Pork-Chop on January 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Looking forward to those Christie/Graham 2016! tweets, Allah.

cdog0613 on January 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Then I’m thinking not.

BuckeyeSam on January 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM

This should draw about 600 comments. :-P

rockmom on January 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Well that was a short Christie Campaign.

portlandon on January 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I’m thinking you’re the LAST person ANYONE should be listening to about ANYTHING even remotely related to a run for Preezy of the United Steezy.

Meople on January 7, 2014 at 4:48 PM

This should kill Krispy Kreme’s chances right here.

Sadly, it won’t.

trigon on January 7, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I’m thinking Juan’s opinion won’t matter in 2016.

Rational Thought on January 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Interesting. After choosing Palin as his running mate in the 2008 election, I’m surprised (not!) that he didn’t endorse her.

Christy is enough of a firebrand he could win… as long as he doesn’t devolve into useless RINOescence as McCain did as well as Romney.

Turtle317 on January 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Wishin’ and hopin’ and thinkin’ and prayin’ …
Plannin’ and dreamin’ each night of his charms …
That won’t get you into his arms …

All we are is Dusty in the wind.

cbenoistd on January 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Even if every Tea Partier voted for Christie twice, by the time the media are done with him, he’ll get 2-3% less of the vote than Romney did.

Kataklysmic on January 7, 2014 at 4:51 PM

As Bill the Cat says, AACK! PPHPTT!

tru2tx on January 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Can I resist a clip of the Hot Air faithful’s least favorite Republican

McCain HA’s least favorite “Republican?”

He’s definitely on the list but is he really least favorite?
Christie, Rubio, Graham; to name just three, are also on the list. Ryan, Boehner, and McConnell are also contenders.

In short, I’m not sure if we could settle on a single least favorite. It would differ by issue and personal priorities. Personally it is Ryan right now for the way he gutted military retirements to strike a deal with Patty Murray. He has been defiant that military retirees are getting what they deserve despite the fact he never has ever put his ass on the line for this nation.

Happy Nomad on January 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM

What did Christie ever do to McCain to deserve this? Must have been something real bad.

rbj on January 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM

ain’t reading that Sally Kohn article on Pope Francis and the repubs either

DanMan on January 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Turtle317 on January 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Fat boy is going to be the Dems VP nominee.

Happy Nomad on January 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Fat boy is going to be the Dems VP nominee.

Happy Nomad on January 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM

You could very well be right.

Turtle317 on January 7, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Isn’t it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air.
Send in the clowns.

Isn’t it bliss?
Don’t you approve?
One who keeps tearing around,
One who can’t move.
Where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns.

Just when I’d stopped opening doors,
Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours,
Making my entrance again with my usual flair,
Sure of my lines,
No one is there.

Don’t you love farce?
My fault I fear.
I thought that you’d want what I want.
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don’t bother, they’re here.

Isn’t it rich?
Isn’t it queer,
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
And where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Well, maybe next year.

thatsafactjack on January 7, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Bleh no Christie.

He would just yell everyone.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Let me guess. Because CRISTie was elected governor in a deep blue state and we need someone “electable” who appeals to moderates and disaffected Democrats? Why not? That strategery worked out great with Romney in 2012.

I’ll say it for the 1000th time. If the GOP wants to win the White House in 2016, nominate a conservative. It’s amazing what appealing to your base does for you in national elections.

Doughboy on January 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Hey McRino!!! Who gives a s***t what you think.

RdLake on January 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM

…SHUT UP YOU SENILE SHIT SENATOR!

KOOLAID2 on January 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM

In short, I’m not sure if we could settle on a single least favorite.

Happy Nomad on January 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Peter King? Certainly the most agressively obnoxious.

Kataklysmic on January 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Turtle317 on January 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I’ll never vote for the guy….

Dreamers,’ Chris Christie? Gov. draws fire for pandering to illegal immigrants [pic, video]

idesign on January 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Doughboy on January 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM

You mean, rather than declaring war on their base, like the GOP has? Hmm, yeah, this isn’t going to end well for the GOP.

Meople on January 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM

You sure you want to do that McCain, Christie is one of those ‘Conservatives’ you apparently aren’t fond of?

reddevil on January 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Eat a hot bowl of d***s, McCain. That is, if the Jersey Jumbo doesn’t bum-rush ya for’em.

M240H on January 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM

ain’t reading that Sally Kohn article on Pope Francis and the repubs either

DanMan on January 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Why are you on this site then? Everybody understands that a true conservative forum, such as Hot Air, is devoted to Sally Kohn, the opinions of John McCain, articles by Matt Lewis, and clips from MSNBC.

I mean… is there anything else out there that would really advance conservatism other than these things?

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Hey, I’m part of the HA faithful and I don’t dislike McCain…and I like Christie as a possible POTUS hopeful.

But then again, well…OK. Never mind. :/

JetBoy on January 7, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I’m Thinking Arby’s

… and so is Chris.

… and so is John.

Marcola on January 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Just pick a republican that will win a general election.I don’t care who.

gerrym51 on January 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM

You realize that you are free to go comment on a True Conservative website.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Phil Robertson FIRED! Do you agree?

22044 on January 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Yeah, good one Senator….

..and I’m thinking we already had one Blimp explosion
(sorry, Dirigible) in New Jersey, some 80 years ago…what
are you, a Sadist??

ToddPA on January 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM

But then again, well…OK. Never mind. :/

JetBoy on January 7, 2014 at 5:08 PM

It’s ok Jetboy.

I’m a Rubio supporter and I’m hated in the HotAir comment section lol

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM

You realize that you are free to go comment on a True Conservative website.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Ok.

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:12 PM

ain’t reading that Sally Kohn article on Pope Francis and the repubs either

DanMan on January 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM

JetBoy on January 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Phil Robertson FIRED! Do you agree?

22044 on January 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM

ROFL!

Murphy9 on January 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Doughboy on January 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I’m a Rubio supporter and I’m hated in the HotAir comment section lol

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I got that beat…I supported Charlie Crist over Rubio at the time. ;)

But I can’t help but feel just a little schadenfreude over the “real conservatives” dumping Rubio almost overnight over “amnesty”.

JetBoy on January 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

You’re such a h8r.

Once mid-terms are complete, you may have a windfall of alignments.

conservative pilgrim on January 7, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Imagine CC as the great GOPe hero and J Mcain, as his old wise adviser, beating back the brutish Reaganites and saving America!

America might be fool enough. Imagine all this Obama backlash channeled by the Mcain crew – the Reid Republicans.

They would say
” We – Christie, Grahm and Mcain lead the fight against Obama and his policies. We were the first to warn America about Obama’s failed policies.” (Lo infos – AAAHHHHH!)

“The Wacko Tbaggers hurt our chances to stop Obama!”(Lo infos- yeah I remember that!)

“But now that we have won we can get us to a better place with reasonable good government changes to the ACA”(lo infos – OOOOHHH!)

“And we will lead the fight for a sensible immigration policy!”(Lo infos – cheer!)

BoxHead1 on January 7, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I think McCain could connect with more Independents, Republican moderates and Democrat moderates than anyone else the GOP can find. It seems the GOP is fractured between extreme rightys and off the wall pie in the sky dreamer egotists. To get the most votes, you need someone who can appeal to the majority of the people. McCain did that with his in-state tuition to illegals and the NRA with his vetoes of gun control and union busting pension plans. A little bit for everyone.

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I think Romney could connect with more Independents, Republican moderates and Democrat moderates than anyone else the GOP can find. It seems the GOP is fractured between extreme rightys and off the wall pie in the sky dreamer egotists. To get the most votes, you need someone who can appeal to the majority of the people. Romney did that with his in-state tuition to illegals and the NRA with his vetoes of gun control and union busting pension plans. A little bit for everyone.

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I got that beat…I supported Charlie Crist over Rubio at the time. ;)

JetBoy on January 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

So you are just the person to suggest winning candidates, I suppose.

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

JetBoy on January 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Yeah….I don’t think anyone is good enough for the True Conservatives. They will always be disappointed.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

You realize that you are free to go comment on a True Conservative website.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM

You can also hop on one foot, blow bubbles, hula hoop, & throw your scat like libfreeordie.

portlandon on January 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM

If John be thinking “Christie”, I be thinkin’ agin’ ‘im.

bigbeachbird on January 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM

So you are just the person to suggest winning candidates, I suppose.

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

What candidates do the True Conservatives have? You guys hate everyone.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM

You realize that you are free to go comment on a True Conservative website.

terryannoncrack on January 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM

…or you can be on crack…and comment here!

KOOLAID2 on January 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM

JetBoy on January 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I think conservatives just have some set views on governmental policy, society, and culture… this is what makes one a conservative. If one would compromise these important conditions of being a conservative then one would cease being a conservative.

Funny, huh?

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Doughboy on January 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Appealing to their base hasn’t done much for the GOP, has it? This is exactly why the Republicans will never see the inside of the White House until they stop pandering to the wing-nuts.

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Doughboy on January 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM

McCain and Romney didn’t appeal to the base (I would suggest the IRS had something to do with the shutting down of the anti-Obama conservative base in 2012).

However, 2010 was fueled by the conservative base and it seems that, I don’t know, the GOP made large gains in Congress.

Its like factual evidence means nothing to some.

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Funny, huh?

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Right but by Hot Air commenter standards even Ronald Reagan is a big ol’ RINO.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:26 PM

So you are just the person to suggest winning candidates, I suppose.

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

What candidates do the True Conservatives have? You guys hate everyone.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I have no real choice in the matter as a resident of New Jersey. Also, I’ve learned that its best to follow Buckley’s rule of supporting the most viable, rightward candidate.

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Right but by Hot Air commenter standards even Ronald Reagan is a big ol’ RINO.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:26 PM

no, that seems to be your view of what a Hot Air commenter would be. Generalize much?

I feel that conservatism is best put in operation at the state and local government level and that the limits placed on government by the Constitution should be the guiding force for national Republicans.

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:28 PM

If McCain likes Jindal, that might make me rethink my support of Jindal.

Bitter Clinger on January 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Hey stupid, if you’re going to change my post, at least make an attempt to show what you changed. Since I have to hold your hand, this is my original message and I would appreciate if you would have enough computer dexterity to show what you changed. I really don’t care why you changed it.

Original message:
“I think Christie could connect with more Independents, Republican moderates and Democrat moderates than anyone else the GOP can find. It seems the GOP is fractured between extreme rightys and off the wall pie in the sky dreamer egotists. To get the most votes, you need someone who can appeal to the majority of the people. Christie did that with his in-state tuition to illegals and the NRA with his vetoes of gun control and union busting pension plans. A little bit for everyone.”

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM

So you are just the person to suggest winning candidates, I suppose.

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

What candidates do the True Conservatives have? You guys hate everyone.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM

joey is spot-on there…my track record of picking candidates over the years is less than stellar. Same with my favorite sports teams. I’m cursed.

As far as I can tell, the “real conservatives” still love Palin, but she’s not going to run. Ted Cruz, maybe? That won’t work either. To be honest, there isn’t really anyone on the GOP side that strikes up any real excitement.

JetBoy on January 7, 2014 at 5:30 PM

JetBoy on January 7, 2014 at 5:30 PM

True. I’m hoping that changes once campaigns start revving up.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I agree with McCain. Christie will get the nod. No other potential GOP candidate can boast of being able to land a blue state if need be.

loveofcountry on January 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Original message:

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I don’t think it is I who needs their hand held. I was simply substituting “Christie” for the last two GOP nominees who, ironically, were pushed on the same reasoning.

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

loveofcountry on January 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I don’t believe Christie would win NJ in a general election.

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:33 PM

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I’m a conservatarian-not a ‘true con’-but Rubio is a ‘Hispanderer’ and Christie is to the left on some BIG issues.
If he gets the nod I’m skipping the top and voting the down ticket.
Perry, Jindal, and Mike Pence are my top choices.
*leave my jr. senator ALONE!*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM

loveofcountry on January 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

No Republican is going to get New Jersey in a presidential election. We need Florida, Virginia, Ohio and Colorado.

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM

No CC, no Jeb, and no more bloviating McLame senile old coots determining party direction.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 7, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I’ve got to say: Meghan’s looking pretty yummy in that clip.

And I’m impressed by how well she was able to repress what I’m sure was an overwhelming impulse to stand up and yell “HILLARY1!!!!1!!!” when Leno asked her who she liked in 2016.

As for Louis CK advocating that McCain run as “himself — no parties!”, I’ll bet you $1,000 he’s already planning to cast his vote for the most partisan Democrat ideologue who runs.

Kensington on January 7, 2014 at 5:38 PM

My New Years resolutions are to control my temper better, temper my cursing and only speak kindly of people. Therefore, I have no official comment on this thread.

Have a great day all and try to stay warm.

DDay on January 7, 2014 at 5:38 PM

loveofcountry on January 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

At the expense of how many red states?

Bitter Clinger on January 7, 2014 at 5:38 PM

JetBoy on January 7, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Me too.
Any day now Stinger or lovingmyusa is going to inform me that I really need to admit that I’m a ‘Christie Supporter’ because then he’s guarantee not to get the nod.LoL
I’m also a Cubs fan.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM

*leave my jr. senator ALONE!*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Do you think he might be your senior senator this time next year?

Bitter Clinger on January 7, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Does anyone seriously think he can beat Hillary in the primaries?

rogerb on January 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Perry, Jindal, and Mike Pence are my top choices.
*leave my jr. senator ALONE!*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I don’t see Perry or Mike Pence making much head way in 2016. I like Jindal

terryannonline on January 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Bitter Clinger on January 7, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Cornyn doesn’t have any viable challengers.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Does anyone seriously think he can beat Hillary in the primaries?

rogerb on January 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM

McCain or Christie?

Bitter Clinger on January 7, 2014 at 5:42 PM

But will 180 McVain jump ship too or will they remain “friends across the aisle” ?

viking01 on January 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Christie. I think Hillary will win the nomination easily.

rogerb on January 7, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Cornyn doesn’t have any viable challengers.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 7, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Bummer.

Bitter Clinger on January 7, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Appealing to their base hasn’t done much for the GOP, has it?

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Appealing to their base?! Since when have they tried appealing to the base?!

topdawg on January 7, 2014 at 5:54 PM

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM

You forgot the Canadian nitwits – David Brooks and David Frum The only thing that’s conservative at HA is the posters. The women authors are the most conservative and they aren’t that conservative.

bw222 on January 7, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Of course he is.

Alberta_Patriot on January 7, 2014 at 6:26 PM

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Well, you could have fooled me. Sometimes keeping your ideas inside your head isn’t exactly the best way to communicate your opinions. Just sayin.

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Appealing to their base?! Since when have they tried appealing to the base?!

topdawg on January 7, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Yeah, you’re right there.

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Does anyone seriously think he can beat Hillary in the primaries?

rogerb on January 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Christie won’t be running against Hillary in the primaries. Primaries are inter-party, not intra-party.

timberline on January 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I’m thinking McCain should shut up and go away while there is any republican party left because of him. I wonder how much the DNC has been paying McCain to destroy the republican party over the years.

Old Country Boy on January 7, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Kiss-o-DEATH!

SMACKRUNNER on January 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I wouldnt call that thinking, John.

Valkyriepundit on January 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM

The San Andreas fault shifted a bit last night.

AllahsNippleHair on January 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the only ones who care what J. McCain says is the press?

Pardonme on January 7, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Like we care what he’s thinking.

lonestar1 on January 7, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Go retire Mccain.

Nobody is voting for you, and nobody will vote for Christie either. Including me.

TX-96 on January 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM

That blunderbutt McCain must think that his opinion or endorsement of a presidential candidate has influence in the Republican Party. It doesn’t, and really, who in the world would give a s..t what he says or thinks? After all, he nearly endorsed his opponent, Mr. Barack, in the last election. What a twisted little man!

mobydutch on January 7, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I’m surprised he didn’t utter what a spectacular senator and sec of state Hillary has been and how much he respects her.

jaywemm on January 7, 2014 at 10:02 PM

bw222 on January 7, 2014 at 5:58 PM

hey, look, I was on Fox News!!!11!!!

joey24007 on January 7, 2014 at 10:28 PM