Democrats backing away from gun control after a banner year for gun sales

posted at 4:01 pm on January 7, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

Certain progressives’ best and deeply misguided efforts to enact what we are constantly told are nothing more than “common sense” attempts to mitigate gun violence but are in fact ultimately senseless, merely feel-good gun-control measures from the federal level downward notwithstanding, Second Amendment supporters rather handily won a few significant victories throughout 2013. Illinois became the last state to finally enact at least some type of concealed-carry legislation (as weaksauce as it may be) and a Chicago judge just struck down the city’s ban on handgun sales; Coloradans successfully recalled two gun-control advocating state senators from office and pressured a third into resigning; and once again, gun sales across America went through the roof. Via the Washington Times:

Gun records checks, fueled by a post-Newtown boom of gun sales, hit a new high in 2013, and industry analysts expect ammunition to be the big seller this year as consumers catch up to all of those firearms purchases.

More than 21 million applications were run through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System last year, marking nearly an 8 percent increase and the 11th straight year that the number has risen.

Background checks serve as a proxy for the number of gun sales, which soared in the months immediately after the December 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings. But NICS checks plummeted in November and December compared with a year earlier, suggesting that the boom may be over.

“2013 was the best year for firearm sales (commercial, domestic) in history — period! That’s true for NH to Hawaii,” said Richard Feldman, president of the Independent Firearm Owners Association in Rindge, N.H. “Ruger alone sold well over one million guns this year.”

While Democrats may want to raise as many alternative issues as possible to distract from the awkward disaster that is ObamaCare, I have the gravest doubts that gun control is going to be one of them as they fight to maintain their hold on the Senate. The now-former mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg just donated $2.5 million to the Senate Majority PAC, a super PAC that has already cut ads supporting the vulnerable Democratic Sens. Pryor, Hagan, and Begich (all of whom voted nay on the Senate’s gun-control push last April). Noah Rothman at Mediaite interprets Bloomberg’s newfound willingness to be a team player with some of the same vulnerable Democrats he and his Mayors Against Illegal Guns group were attacking earlier in 2013 as a sign that the once gung-ho gun control push has definitely fizzled in the run-up to the midterms — and it doesn’t exactly appear to be a winning issue, does it?

Comments

No shiite, in an election year?

Bishop on January 7, 2014 at 4:09 PM

…Bishop beat me to it!

KOOLAID2 on January 7, 2014 at 4:10 PM

U.S. District Court Judge Edmond E. Chang wrote in a 35-page opinion that “Chicago’s ordinance goes too far in outright banning legal buyers and legal dealers from engaging in lawful acquisitions and lawful sales of firearms . .

Federal judge, not a Chicago judge…and one appointed by obama himself.

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Does this mean Joe Manchin will be shooting ANOTHER copy of Obamacare????

PolAgnostic on January 7, 2014 at 4:17 PM

And yet, recalling/resigning politicians still have yet to bring back the gun manufacturers.

That is okay, other states will welcome them with open arms.

upinak on January 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM

They may have backed off for now, but they will never stop.

antipc on January 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Carrion feeders, like obama – 0
2nd Amendment – 1

no one outside of police officers and soldiers should have access to ANY guns PERIOD

nonpartisan on December 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Hey, upinak, good to spot you. Happy New Year!

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2014 at 4:21 PM

They will not back away, they will only change the language they use to continue the fight against the people and their right to bear arms. Count on it!

Pardonme on January 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Smoked.

BuckeyeSam on January 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Hey, upinak, good to spot you. Happy New Year!

Schadenfreude on January 7, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Stay warm down there.

upinak on January 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Yeah, go ahead dems and go after guns and see what happens later this year.

major dad on January 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Having lived in Connecticut for 15+ years at the time of the Newton School shooting, I can tell you that if that shooting had happened in New Haven, Hartford or some other non-wealthy city, CT would not have passed all of those new guns laws.

Money talks, and the Politicians in Hartford listened to the people who keep them in Office with their extremely generous campaign contributions.

Johnnyreb on January 7, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Yeah, go ahead dems and go after guns and see what happens later this year.

major dad on January 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Ya – I hope they do keep it up. I’d like to see the Dems double-down on gun control and 0scare, and let’s see what happens in November.
We gave them a small taste of the consequences here in Colorado.

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Last year – I bought my first AR-17, and a Glock 19. I became a member of the NRA – and I am taking classes. Feel better also.

jake-the-goose on January 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM

so Bloomberg is donating to dems that didn’t even back his signature issue of suppressing the 2nd amendment and the media still reports him as a republican, this is another reason we laugh at them

DanMan on January 7, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I’d like to know how many different people that equates to.
I had 10 run myself in 2013.

On that part – I got most of my guns earlier in the year when the Dems were trying to outlaw them – specifically whatever the Dems were trying to outlaw. By the end of the year I was just buying ammo and accessories and trying to pay down the credit card bill I had built up. I’m sure I’ll be buying at least a couple more guns this year though.

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM

jake-the-goose on January 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Holy crap! An AR-17?? That’s two degrees more scary than an AR-15!! How do you sleep at night knowing that kill machine is in your house?!?

NotCoach on January 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM

jake-the-goose on January 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM

AR-17? Not familiar with that one. Typo?
I bought my first AR-15 late in 2012, then my wife got hers in early 2013. We probably would not have bought them if the Dems weren’t trying to ban them.
I do like the Glocks – I have a 22 and a 26, both Gen 4.
I also first joined the NRA in late 2012, then just renewed for another 2 years – again, because of the Dems.

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM

jake-the-goose on January 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I live in NY. Took me nine months, but finally got my pistol permit and took “Bunny,” my new Glock-17, home in September.

Part of that was in response to the Journal News outing law-abiding permit holders, but part of it was fear that these gun-grabbing nuts would gain traction.

Enjoy your new additions!

Maddie on January 7, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I picked up Mossberg’s new MMR this weekend, bringing my collection to completion…for now. (AK, AR, .22LR, 2 X 12ga, service and carry handguns) I may have to replace my Walther G22 with something that has a better reputation for reliability, but for now I can deal with the occasional FTF/FTE when plinking.

And now for that boat ride they’re always bugging me to take them on….

James on January 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM

AR-17? Not familiar with that one. Typo?

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Typo – yes – also exposes my ignorance – bought just to have it. Really !!

jake-the-goose on January 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM

NotCoach on January 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Funny – right I get the typo award for the day. LMAO

jake-the-goose on January 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Johnnyreb on January 7, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Not just money. Race too. If Sandy Hook Elementary had been mostly black and Hispanic, the needle would not have moved all that much. All would agree about what a shame it was but the public debate would not have been the same. Black and Hispanic children are killed all the time. Obama and his people were literally high-fiving one another that a class of little white kids were killed. They thought they could parlay that into gun-grabbing legislation. Especially after drafting a bunch of despicable parents willing to politicize the death of their children for the Democrat agenda.

Happy Nomad on January 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM

They read somewhere that:

…SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

Possibly? ( Fing’ jackasses )

TX-96 on January 7, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Funny – right I get the typo award for the day. LMAO

jake-the-goose on January 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM

AR-15, AR-17…. Whatever it takes. (Mr. Mom reference)

Happy Nomad on January 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I’d like to know how many different people that equates to.
I had 10 run myself in 2013.

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Heh. These background checks are such BS. They do absolutely nothing but burden most of us, needlessly. I have a license to carry but still have to go through a background check to buy a gun – each and every time. LOL.

Anyway, I’m finished buying guns. I’m making my own from now on. I’ve had enough of the ridiculous intrusion by the Feds and the state for no reason other than to annoy and burden me in my exercise of my rights. From now on, it’s nothing but 80% builds for me.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Typo – yes – also exposes my ignorance – bought just to have it. Really !!

jake-the-goose on January 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM

DON’T FORGET THE “BOAT RIDE”!!!

Maddie on January 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Typo – yes – also exposes my ignorance – bought just to have it. Really !!

jake-the-goose on January 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I didn’t assume any ignorance at all. I hate it when when fingers and/or keyboard do that to me – which is way too often.

Don’t just buy it to have it. I highly recommend taking it out to the range and give it a try. My wife has only fired a couple shots from hers (a Colt model) shortly after buying it. Since then she’s been practicing with her Ruger 10/22 and pistols to the point that she’s now comfortable with giving her AR another try.
Depending on your comfort and skill levels with guns, you might start with a .22 rifle first, then move up to the AR.
Mine is a Windham Weaponry model, and I’ve put at least 500 rounds through it in the last year.

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2014 at 5:08 PM

DON’T FORGET THE “BOAT RIDE”!!!

Maddie on January 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Ya – but take it out and shoot with it a bit before you take it on a boat….

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM

And yet, the lead mine remains closed.

Fenris on January 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM

And yet, the lead mine remains closed.

Fenris on January 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Bullets almost exclusively are manufactured from reclaimed lead from battery recycling.

Murphy9 on January 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

MAY THEY GO DOWN IN FLAMES!!!!!!

Utterly and completely extinguished from political life!

avagreen on January 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM

If the Democrats are backing away, it’s not because they’ve changed their minds it’s because it’s not polling well, which means they didn’t get their message out. RIght now, they’re all about milk and honey, give away some of that Democrat/Obama money. Don’t create jobs, but give out more unemployment. The fact that they only want it for 3 months doesn’t mean there’s a jobs bill on the way, it means they need an issue for the election and 3 months gives them time to hammer on the Republicans and then spring this again.

The stupid party will let them get away with it because they don’t really care if they win. The chances are they’ll retain the House and if they don’t get the Senate, they’re fine because they don’t have to actually pass any legislation if they don’t have the Senate. If they have the House and the Senate, they’re going to have some responsibility, with this bunch, that could be a disaster.

I’m not sure why the Republicans don’t start passing jobs bills, jobs bills that will rot in the Senate and just tell people that they would rather get people working again than give them a bribe to not hold the Democrats responsible because they don’t have a job.

bflat879 on January 7, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Bloomberg does know that his adds will only help these Senators, no?

DDay on January 7, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Murphy9 on January 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

So what you’re saying is: our car batteries will get more expensive too.

Fenris on January 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM

So what you’re saying is: our car batteries will get more expensive too.

Fenris on January 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM

No … but you’ll need a background check to buy one.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 7, 2014 at 5:51 PM

So what you’re saying is: our car batteries will get more expensive too.

Fenris on January 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM

The price of just about everything is going to be going up up up I’m afraid. I don’t even want to think about putting new tires on my “sports” car.

Murphy9 on January 7, 2014 at 5:52 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 7, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Murphy9 on January 7, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Both problems easily solved by the printing press.

Fenris on January 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM

And yet, the lead mine remains closed.

Fenris on January 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Murphy9 on January 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

It’s the lead smelting plant I’m concerned about.
I haven’t heard anything directly about mines recently.

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM

So what you’re saying is: our car batteries will get more expensive too.

Fenris on January 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM

I can’t wait for Kalifornia to mandate all car batteries must use copper instead of lead…..

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Democrats backing away from gun control after a banner year for gun sales
POSTED AT 4:01 PM ON JANUARY 7, 2014 BY ERIKA JOHNSEN

Until re-elected.

S. D. on January 7, 2014 at 6:04 PM

dentarthurdent on January 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM

And biodegradable.

Fenris on January 7, 2014 at 6:12 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I’ve considered that route – have you found a good set of jigs and tooling?

Hill60 on January 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I’ve considered that route – have you found a good set of jigs and tooling?

Hill60 on January 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I’m still working on my first one (a para 1911 double stack) but I’m pretty intent on learning this and never looking back. There’s a guy, hoagiem, on calguns.net who has jigs for the p12/p13 paperweights that sarco is selling but I haven’t gone that route. I’m trying to do it on the cheap with a dremel and drill press. I’ve got 10 frames to work on but I’m still busy destroying the first one for experience :) Sarco just got a big inventory of para slides, BTW, and they are running about $120 apiece for most of the stripped ones.

For AK/AR builds, I’m not working on any of those but … if you have nothing against polymer AR lowers, there’s a company that sells an interesting mold and polymer so that you can just make as many as you want. Again, I saw this at calguns. The poster who got the mold did one and reported it did well for at least 100 rounds of 223 at the range. The lower looks very nice. The price for that mold (from gunmolds.com, I believe) is about $300 but if you enter “calguns.net” you can get a discount price of something like $225. Check out the calguns website to see more (look under the gunsmithing and tooling section). Here’s a link for the AR gunmold thread. Interesting stuff.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Interesting – thanks for the info! I wasn’t aware that you could get 1911 frames that way – I’ve just seen the 80% AR lowers. Nothing like a hand-built 1911! I’d watch Sarco though. I’ve purchased some stuff from them – and it’s been hit or miss. (More misses than hits, unfortunately.)

Hill60 on January 7, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I would love to have a double stack 1911.

Murphy9 on January 7, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Hill60 on January 7, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Yeah. I like Sarco but, as you say, it’s hit or miss with them. Some parts are nice, others are … not. A fun place to shop, though, like a gun parts flea market.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 7, 2014 at 6:59 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Check this out:

Building Your Own No-FFL AR From an 80% Complete Receiver, by Nomad
We live in very uncertain times. For some people, myself included, those times of uncertainty include anything from some financial hardship, to total economic ruin. In knowing this simple truth, I am inspired to share my knowledge and expertise concerning firearms preparedness: in particular, the AR-15 platform and a truly inexpensive option to owning one that is on-par with buying a much less versatile bolt-action rifle.

NMRN123 on January 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I used to have a “I’m the NRA, and I Vote” bumper sticker.

I peeled that off and replaced it with: “I’m Pissed – and I VOTE!”

I get a lot of ‘thumbs up’.

Another Drew on January 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM

NMRN123 on January 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM

All you really need is a shovel :) Fun read:

Shovel AK

There are also kits for putting together glocks (though they require a little welding, unlike the typical 80% pistol build). For glocks, basically, it’s just the rail assembly that needs to be built.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM

nonpartisan on December 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

This is what leaders will tell you…Right before they feed you to the dogs.

Bandit13 on January 7, 2014 at 9:08 PM