Video: Yes, it’s pretty darned cold all over

posted at 9:21 am on January 6, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

I’ve been tweeting about this since last night, but it’s not just Minnesota that’s getting record cold temperatures today.  A “polar vortex” has settled over the upper Midwest, but the wind chill warnings extend all the way down to Florida. Don’t let the chatty intro to this video fool you — this is a dangerous cold front that could kill people who don’t take it seriously enough:

A whirlpool of frigid, dense air known as a “polar vortex” descended Monday into much of the U.S., pummeling parts of the country with a dangerous cold that could break decades-old records with wind chill warnings stretching from Montana to Alabama.

For a big chunk of the Midwest, the subzero temperatures were moving in behind another winter wallop: more than a foot of snow and high winds that made traveling treacherous. Officials closed schools in cities including Chicago, St. Louis and Milwaukee and warned residents to stay indoors and avoid the frigid cold altogether.

The forecast is extreme: 32 below zero in Fargo, N.D.; minus 21 in Madison, Wis.; and 15 below zero in Minneapolis, Indianapolis and Chicago. Wind chills — what it feels like outside when high winds are factored into the temperature — could drop into the minus 50s and 60s.

“It’s just a dangerous cold,” said National Weather Service meteorologist Butch Dye in Missouri.

It hasn’t been this cold for almost two decades in many parts of the country. Frostbite and hypothermia can set in quickly at 15 to 30 below zero.

As I write this, the temperature outside my door is -24, and the wind chill would make it seem like -45 … if I was dumb enough to go outside. It never got above zero yesterday, but I still went to church and did some shopping, knowing I wouldn’t get an opportunity to do either for the next couple of days. The weather service has a wind-chill warning up here in effect until late Tuesday, and we’re not expected to see above-zero temps until Wednesday.

Fox News has a little more:

The forecast is extreme: 25 below zero in Fargo, N.D., minus 31 in International Falls, Minn., and minus 15 in Indianapolis and Chicago. Wind chills — what it feels like outside when high winds are factored into the temperature — could drop into the minus 50s and 60s. Northeastern Montana was warned of wind chills up to 59 below zero.

Several Midwestern states received up to a foot of new snow Sunday. Five to 9 inches fell in the Chicago area by Sunday afternoon, St. Louis area had about a foot of snow and northern Indiana had at least 8 inches. Central Illinois braced for 8 to 10 inches, and southern Michigan could see up to 15 inches.

Officials closed several Illinois roadways because of drifting snow and warned residents to stay inside. Roads in the Midwest were particularly dangerous, and officials in Missouri said it was too cold for rock salt to be very effective.

NBC did a segment on the bitter weather this morning as well:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Threatening not just records but lives, a blast of arctic air packing the lowest temperatures in two decades descended on the Midwest on Monday and began a brutal plunge across most of the United States.

People in Minnesota and the Dakotas woke up to temperatures of 20 degrees below zero or worse, and the National Weather Service said that it recorded a wind chill of minus 61 in Montana.

“These temperatures that will be out there will be lower than what’s in your freezer,” warned Greg Ballard, the mayor of Indianapolis.

Actually, it’s far below what you’ll find in your freezer here. I have been using the garage as a “stunt freezer,” since our kitchen freezer is a little overloaded at the moment, and the stunt freezer is working perfectly.

What are your stories of the cold? Share them in the comments below.

Update: Schools are closing tomorrow, too, at least in the Twin Cities:

In a letter to districts, the education commissioner says superintendents should be mindful about health hazards from exposures to the below-zero temperatures as they make decisions.

Monday was the first blanket closure of all public schools in 17 years as the state is gripped with an arctic blast of cold air.

So far, Minneapolis, St. Paul and Roseville announced schools will remain closed on Tuesday.

Today’s closure was ordered by Gov. Mark Dayton, but I suspect we’ll see a statewide closure again tomorrow, just district by district this time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Cool.

Pork-Chop on January 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM

If you run into warmists, tell them that they’re like Pat Robertson.

Although Pat Robertson might be insulted.

22044 on January 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM

“All over?”

I could have easily got 18 in yesterday, sipping an iced tea while doing so. Wearing a T-shirt.

And yes, I am in the lower 48.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 6, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Just another reason to hate Canada! Why can’t they keep their polar air in check?

We’re about to be hit here in DC. Not quite as severe as the upper Midwest but cold enough the politicians may keep their hands in their own pockets.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 9:29 AM

It’s cold down here in Texas too. I even had to put on a sweatshirt this morning.

Flange on January 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM

What are your stories of the cold? Share them in the comments below.

Somebody should reach out to Mooch and find how she’s coping with all this cold weather. /

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM

YIKES! That’s just bone chilling cold.

scalleywag on January 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM

and then I see pictures on Facebook where dogs are left on the porch frozen…..I hope that was a Photoshop job……

Shout out to the st cloud family

cmsinaz on January 6, 2014 at 9:35 AM

High today in Philly 50 degrees. We must be living right.

Unless that’s proof of global warming or something, then we’re screwed.

Akzed on January 6, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Housing prices in Arizona are still quite reasonable, folks.

Just saying. ;)

(It’s going to be 72 here today).

AZCoyote on January 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I guess the global warming cult won’t be making any trips up North to cherry pick some trees for their “hide the decline” charts…

Electrongod on January 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM

We are going from 65 to 21 today here in Jacksonville. And tomorrow’s range is 37 to 27. That’s FLORIDA! Y’all be safe up there, this is some crazy weather and while I wish that only the Climate Change freaks were going to suffer, it is really scary for our friends in the North.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM

It isn’t that bad in PA yet, but I managed to slip on black ice yesterday and bruise or crack a couple of ribs yesterday. I didn’t get it checked because there is nothing a doctor can do about it, anyway.

As Akzed said, it’s a relatively warm 50 or so right now, but the temp is supposed to nosedive by tomorrow.

DRayRaven on January 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM

It’s going to be in the mid 40s today in NoVa, but dropping into single digits tonight and remaining below freezing through Wednesday night.

22044 on January 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Woke up to -7 with -34 wind chill, which is the warmest it will be here today.

County-wide travel advisory in effect here – official and emergency vehicles only on the roads today.

I had some big snow drifts to plow down this morning to be sure my car could get out if I absolutely had to. My office was not officially closed for the day – just no one is going to show up.

Stay warm ands safe out there!

fortcoins on January 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Oklahoma City here. It’s not “stunt freezer for a garage” cold, but it was -5 when I took the dog out this morning. She stuck her nose out the door and stopped, looked at me, and went back inside.

Meric1837 on January 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I saw Pajama Boy Chrith Haythes so upset with Drudge for reporting the epic chill and calling him a “snow troll” for linking it sarcastically with global warming stories. Pajama Boy was slapping the table he was so angry. Almost spilled his hot chocolate.

Marcus on January 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Being in the State of Denial Washington, when we did have a little cold spell (+18), I emptied the freezer into the garage and defrosted the freezer. Worked great.

SouthernRoots on January 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Presently 14F in DFW.
Wind was worse yesterday.
Advisories out to spare the power grid, mostly.
Expecting 60s in a couple of days.

pambi on January 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM

6 deg wind chill in hill country of Tx–time to get some fur for the Speedo….

hillsoftx on January 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Video: Yes, it’s pretty darned cold all over

That dreaded global warming that Al Gore warned us about has finally arrived.

What are your stories of the cold? Share them in the comments below.

It was 14 degrees in some of the outlying areas of the DFW metroplex.

No precipitation though. It’s a dry heat cold.

rukiddingme on January 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Wait! We have scientific MODELS that prove global warming is true. Pay no attention to your thermometers. Reality is lying to you.

Mojave Mark on January 6, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Northern two thirds of Indiana under a red travel warning. No one is to go anywhere, unless you are emergency personnel.

esr1951 on January 6, 2014 at 9:47 AM

3/4 of the people on my floor are working from home today.

It’s pretty dang cold.

gophergirl on January 6, 2014 at 9:48 AM

22044 on January 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Yeah, I’m a little South of you here on the banks of the Rappahannock so I hear you. I’m actually considering going out and purchasing a winter coat.

Oldnuke on January 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Some Real Estate Agent was predicting a boom in California real estate due to the cool. I said the cold is not as bad as California Socialism and Obamaism.

Oil Can on January 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Presently 14F in DFW.

Yes, and the only thing saving us is no precipitation. I know my staff did a rain dance this weekend. Out policy is if the schools are closed, out office is too. But I get no relief of course.

Marcus on January 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM

out=our. Autocorrect.

Marcus on January 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM

It’s currently ELEVEN here-but(in typical Lubbock fashion) it should ‘warm-up’ to the mid-30′s by afternoon. By Saturday-it’ll be in the 60′s.
My gym is about a 2 hour walk a way. My being a former Chicago girl is going to put me at a huge advantage over the natives. I’ve walked longer distances,in colder temps than what’s here right now…and I know how to dress for the weather.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM

When I was growing up in Vermont, in the late 60′s – our school superintendent would never consider cancelling school for heavy snowfall or dangerously cold temperatures. There were days when my friends and I would trudge to and from school in temperatures as low as -50 with the wind chill. The air was so dry, it burned your sinuses. I’m in Arizona now. It’s a bit chilly this morning – with temps in the low 40′s – but we’re going to warm up into the 70′s later today. Damn global warming.

Hill60 on January 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM

We have all kinds of closings here today as the WCI is -33. We still have to bury my nephew in the morning so I suppose it will be the coldest funeral ever for me…

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Housing prices in Arizona are still quite reasonable, folks.

Just saying. ;)

(It’s going to be 72 here today).

AZCoyote on January 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Thanks but I’ll take the cold over having McCain as my Senator any day!

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Mojave Mark on January 6, 2014 at 9:47 AM

And consensus! Don’t forget consensus. I heard Laura Schwartz on a talk show years ago say that was important. Laura Schwartz, you remember her. She helped John Kerry get elected president.

Oldnuke on January 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Oil Can on January 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Housing is cheaper in AZ (where daytime temps will be in the low 70′s all this week), and most of the state government is Republican.

AZCoyote on January 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM

It has warmed up to 7 degrees in Memphis, Tennessee. There is a large water main broken under a nearby street and water pressure here isn’t great at the time.

I really need some global warming right now.

simkeith on January 6, 2014 at 9:59 AM

It’s in the 50s where I am in MA right now but they are saying it may be in the 20s by commute time making travel risky. Tuesday they are talking below 0 and in the teens. The rest of the week it will be only in the teens or lower twenties. On this last Saturday it was -12 at my house and didn’t break out of the teens all day. I think it’s colder than normal this winter or I’m just getting older.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Amazing how many people think that we should make economic sacrifices so that it gets even colder.

xuyee on January 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Here in Columbus Ohio, it’s 4F (wind chill -16F) dropping throughout the day. Tonight will be -7F (wind chill -33F). Luckily my wife rearranged her horse boarding feeding schedule and doesn’t have to work today! (We lease a barn for our boarding operation, and she is barn manager at a 2nd barn.) Normally she’s working out in the weather all day long at the two barns!

dominigan on January 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM

It’s so cold…
New Yorkers are giving each other the mitten instead of the finger.

IrishEi on January 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM

…Move to Michigan!

KOOLAID2 on January 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM

About 13 inches of snow over the last 36 hours, on top of the 7 I already had. Temp this morning is -15 with -40 wind chills. All major roads, including I-65, I-80, I-90, and I-94 are closed across 4 counties in my area.

Yeah, this is bad.

Oh, and Chris Hayes, I’ll stop saying winter disproves global warming when you stop saying that every last tornado, hurricane, flood, and severe thunderstorm is proof of global warming.

JimLennon on January 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Thanks but I’ll take the cold over having McCain as my Senator any day!

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Yes, McCain sucks, but if we can convince more conservatives to move to AZ, we can get rid of him — and enjoy the warm weather too!

AZCoyote on January 6, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM

ORLY? hah!

Your hubby was sort of teasing me about you guys not having to deal with the cold weather. I’m guessing you can just blame him. :-p

hawkdriver on January 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Our high today in Largo, FL is to be 67 and our low tonight 41. Right now it is 74 and sunny. I rode my motorcycle to work.

meci on January 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

LOL, yeah, at least the cold goes away.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Mojave Mark on January 6, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Reality is anti science.

magicbeans on January 6, 2014 at 10:06 AM

hawkdriver on January 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I blame Al Gore. Always. Great to see you.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Just more proof of Global Warming. You non-scientists wouldn’t understand. See, global warming causes… well, everything. You bible thumpers might comprehend it better if you think of it as the Jumping Jesus Jehovah of the science world.

MechanicalBill on January 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM

JimLennon on January 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM

This!

Hill60 on January 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM

AZCoyote on January 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM

The area I grew up in CA has been taken over by Chinese buyers and population. I’m taking about the whole San Gabriel valley of 2 million people. The same thing is happening in Orange County, Silicon Valley, and few other areas. The future of California is Asian not Hispanic, at least economically. The buying power of this group has sent home prices in these areas past the last housing peak. So, I agree with you 100%.

That’s probably were I’ll end up in a few years, the great state of AZ. Add two more conservative voters to AZ.

Oil Can on January 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Sorry to hear. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

fortcoins on January 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

We’ll be knocking on the all time recorded low temp in Baton Rouge tonight which is 15 deg. We’ve already had 6 nights with temps dipping into the 20′s this winter. Highly unusual for this far south.

Kermit on January 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM

hawkdriver on January 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM
I blame Al Gore. Always. Great to see you.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM

That’s right. Great to see you also.

hawkdriver on January 6, 2014 at 10:11 AM

dominigan on January 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM

I’m down here in Lancaster, and it’s 3 above with breezes. Check out what the National Weather Service says;

WIND CHILL WARNING
Now – Tuesday, Jan 7, 5:00pm

…WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EST TUESDAY… …WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS CANCELLED…

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS CANCELLED THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY.

* HAZARD TYPES…BLACK ICE WILL OCCUR THIS MORNING AND EXTREMELY COLD WIND CHILL READINGS WILL OCCUR INTO TUESDAY.

* TIMING…THE RAPID DROP IN TEMPERATURES EARLY THIS MORNING IS RESULTING IN ICY CONDITIONS WHERE ROADS ARE NOT TREATED. ARCTIC AIR WILL SETTLE OVER THE REGION THROUGH TUESDAY.

* WINDS…WEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

* WIND CHILL READINGS…AS LOW AS 33 BELOW.

* IMPACTS…HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO REDUCED VISIBILITIES AND BLACK ICE ON ROADS. THE FRIGID CONDITIONS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE VENTURING OUTSIDE. PROLONGED EXPOSURE MAY CAUSE FROSTBITE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…

REMEMBER…A WIND CHILL WARNING MEANS HAZARDOUS WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE IMMINENT OR HIGHLY LIKELY.

Local weather is predicting 21 degrees above this afternoon, -12 tonight.

I’m staying in, reading, and working on my F-101B VooDoo model. (RCAF, 409 Squadron, Comox 1971.)

cheers

eon

eon on January 6, 2014 at 10:16 AM

-17 when I left for work, -45 windchill in suburban Chicago. Expected to creep up to -11. The cold stopped what seemed like 48+ straight hours of snow, I think it was a least 12″ maybe more. Schools are closed. Both cars started even though the wife’s sat out last night. Roads are snow packed and pretty slick, but most everyone made it to work today. Dogs didn’t waste any time outside. We are supposed to get up to 10 Tuesday and above freezing on Friday. Should be a mess with all of the snow.

long dogs on January 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I remember December, 1990. I was in my new house on Lotus Lake in Chanhassen, a sw suburb of Minneapolis. Had the extended family fly in for Christmas. My aunt arrived last on Christmas eve day and the high at the airport was -21F. We did go to Christmas eve service. The high over the next 8 days was -8, so my son & I went sledding on a terrific hill, but it really was too cold for that, I spent most of the time in a warming hut by the fire.

daveinthevillage on January 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM

In metro Atlanta, was 27 degrees at 7am, now down to 24. Not sure what wind chill is right now.

Supposed to be 3 to 7 degrees tonight; we will have 60 hours straight of below freezing temps and lots of wind. It is sunny and fairly dry, only spotty reports of black ice. High today and tomorrow mid 20′s.

Brat on January 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Guess we need to start cutting down those carbon offset trees.

MT on January 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM

LOL, yeah, at least the cold goes away.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2014 at 10:06 AM

McCain will too, eventually. Sooner or later, either AZ voters, or Mother Nature, will take him out.

Oil Can on January 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Welcome!

AZCoyote on January 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM

We haven’t been this cold since 1983…

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Kermit on January 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM

When I was living in New Orleans they referred this kind of weather with the 3Ps to be concerned about. Pipes, Pets, and Plants. But what I remember most was just how damp the cold was. Made even temps in the 20s feel much colder.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I don’t like cold weather.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

*hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 6, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Snowing in the ATL.

Bmore on January 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I don’t like cold weather.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Tell me about it. Times like this when I really miss San Diego where it is 49º F…

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM

49 degrees in San Diego? Good lord! They’re running around in parkas.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Everyone is scared sh!tless here in Houston. Got down to 28 last night LOL

I’m a Canuck originally, this is October weather growing up.

txdoc on January 6, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Oil Can on January 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

This one…wins the thread!

22044 on January 6, 2014 at 10:32 AM

So you are saying my plan of walking around tomorrow wearing shorts and a t-shirt is a bad idea?

thuja on January 6, 2014 at 10:34 AM

It’s 62 in Hauterive,France today.There are some benefits to living here.

celtic warrior on January 6, 2014 at 10:34 AM

49 degrees in San Diego? Good lord! They’re running around in parkas.

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 10:31 AM

LOLZ, and have the furnaces blasting on high…

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 10:35 AM

It’s 72 outside. Suckers.

discojoe on January 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Hill60 on January 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Weather has become another form of entertainment. And when something becomes entertainment, then we follow the weather fads. When weatherman, the cable channels and blogs like Hot Air have to start competing in weather entertainment, then each one of them have to make the weather more exciting than the other outlet.

They way to make it more exciting is to overstate the danger. Ergo… a lot of the public turns into weenies, cowering under the “danger.”

It was -3 last night, Rocky Mountains, I’m at 8200 feet. Just another normal winter int he Rockies night.

Meh.

Walter L. Newton on January 6, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Down here in Texas it ain’t’ too bad but they’re talking rolling blackouts on our grid?

Sheesh!

Ya’ll stay warm up north…

workingclass artist on January 6, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Global warming, anyone?

It was -8 when I checked this morning. But then I live in the mountains, 2 miles above sea level and it’s always cold.

Be safe and warm.

COgirl on January 6, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Ugh! -10 here with -40 wind chill, and my sister’s house is without power! My mom lives there as well and is on oxygen with limited mobility. I was hoping to stay snug and warm today. Travel ban or not, I’m packing the generator and heading out. Stay warm, folks – later.

fortcoins on January 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Like practically everywhere else, it’s cold here too (Western VA). Supposed to be 0 or slightly below tonight, with the high tomorrow only in the mid-teens. I’m not a fan.

I do find it funny, though, to see CA residents bragging about their current temps. Does nice weather negate the great socialist experiment you live under? Wouldn’t for me…

changer1701 on January 6, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Snowing in the ATL.

Bmore on January 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Sunny but frigid in east metro ATL!

Brat on January 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM

changer1701 on January 6, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I lived in San Diego for 30 yrs and when it got down to 49 like it is today, people were always bitching about how bitter cold it was…

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 11:03 AM

changer1701 on January 6, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I lived in San Diego for 30 yrs and when it got down to 49 like it is today, people were always b!tching about how bitter cold it was…

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 11:03 AM

17 degrees last night here in the Piney Woods of East Texas. They say the high will be about 30 today. It’s cold enough for me and Good Luck to all of you where it’s colder. I’ve got the fireplace going.

trigon on January 6, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM

It’s in the 50′s here in NYC right now…My car thermometer read -1 the other day. And at home the roads were a sheet of ice last night. My biggest worry at home is the possibility of losing power if it gets real windy and as cold as they say it will be tonight and tomorrow.

At least I stocked up on kerosene for the heater and propane canisters for the lanterns just in case…I do not ever want to go through what I did after Sandy blew through, and you’d have better luck winning the Lotto than finding a gallon of kerosene. Or even bottled water.

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM

“I sold my soul for Global Warming, but all I got was this lousy Polar Vortex!” – The Democrat Party

Tom Servo on January 6, 2014 at 11:10 AM

It’s 72 outside. Suckers.

discojoe on January 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Winter came for North Carolina and I did nothing.

It came for Florida. Again, I did nothing.

You need to help stop this winter thing before it gets you too.

hawkdriver on January 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Most people who are prepared for an emergency are prepared because they weren’t prepared the first time.

Walter L. Newton on January 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I had to wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt while playing a round of golf here in Central Florida this weekend, now that’s cold to complain about.

unkleBo6 on January 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Out here in Nor Cal Got all the way down to 33 last night and they’re not expecting it to get above 65 today.

beerman on January 6, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Housing prices in Arizona are still quite reasonable, folks.

Just saying. ;)

(It’s going to be 72 here today).

AZCoyote on January 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Yep, I almost had to wear a jacket today going into work…but left it at home since I wouldn’t need it by lunch.

nextgen_repub on January 6, 2014 at 12:00 PM

In big block letters over on Drudge.

AVG TEMP IN USA 14.8°F

Finally actual proof of global warming. It should be 14.75 deg F! So see there global warming!….and shut up!

Oldnuke on January 6, 2014 at 12:08 PM

The “Polar Vortex”. I blame Ming the Merciless.

Oldnuke on January 6, 2014 at 12:11 PM

OH GOD!!! IT’S A FLASH FREEZE

SOMEBODY BURN THE TAX CODE!!!!!

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2014 at 12:11 PM

It’s 79 here going up to 82. The really ‘cold’ weather sets in on Thursday with a high of 79 and a low of 75. I am not in the lower forty eight, I’m much ‘lower’ then that. :)

jimfreedom on January 6, 2014 at 12:13 PM

OH GOD!!! IT’S A FLASH FREEZE

SOMEBODY BURN THE TAX CODE!!!!!

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Heh, I’d still burn Nietzsche and probably James Joyce too :-)

Oldnuke on January 6, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Like Transgender and Kwanza, Polar Vortex is just made up without meaning.

lilium479 on January 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Be safe.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2014 at 12:23 PM

So looking at the monthly averages, why does weather.com suck so much with thermometers.

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Folks, you can’t make this stuff up. Right on cue, here’s a Daily Beast article blaming the current cold snap on – wait for it – Global Warming!

Supposedly, you and me have done something to mess up this Polar Vortex.

TarheelBen on January 6, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Housing prices in Arizona are still quite reasonable, folks.

Just saying. ;)

(It’s going to be 72 here today).

AZCoyote on January 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Thanks but I’ll take the cold over having McCain as my Senator any day!

Happy Nomad on January 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I loved to visit Arizona when my father was retired there. I would take some time during the winter and visit for a break from the cold. I’d move there in a heartbeat if selling my home in Ohio was even a possibility now that I’m retired. Just think, we have the cold, a bad economy, and Sherrod Brown as Senator. Talk about a perfect storm.
As far as the weather, it’s cold and getting colder, but it’s not unheard of. We get these periods about every twenty years or so. Unless you have to be outside you just need to hunker down for a few days until it passes.
It’s unusual for me, but I’m somewhat impressed by the local municipalities responses around here, opening impromptu warming areas and other such precautions. Especially impressed by their refusal to go into panic mode. The weather media? Uh, not so much.

yesiamapirate on January 6, 2014 at 12:44 PM

It’s cold. It’s dam cold! It’s so cold I just saw a little guy in orange freeze solid out in the middle of the street.

Oh well, it just doesn’t work the same as for hot…..

dentarthurdent on January 6, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Housing prices in Arizona are still quite reasonable, folks.
Just saying. ;)
(It’s going to be 72 here today).

AZCoyote on January 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM

nextgen_repub on January 6, 2014 at 12:00 PM

My truck thermometer said 2 on the way to work this morning (Colorado).
However – let’s talk about this again next summer when it’s 110+ down there.

dentarthurdent on January 6, 2014 at 12:49 PM