Video: Yes, it’s pretty darned cold all over

posted at 9:21 am on January 6, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

I’ve been tweeting about this since last night, but it’s not just Minnesota that’s getting record cold temperatures today.  A “polar vortex” has settled over the upper Midwest, but the wind chill warnings extend all the way down to Florida. Don’t let the chatty intro to this video fool you — this is a dangerous cold front that could kill people who don’t take it seriously enough:

A whirlpool of frigid, dense air known as a “polar vortex” descended Monday into much of the U.S., pummeling parts of the country with a dangerous cold that could break decades-old records with wind chill warnings stretching from Montana to Alabama.

For a big chunk of the Midwest, the subzero temperatures were moving in behind another winter wallop: more than a foot of snow and high winds that made traveling treacherous. Officials closed schools in cities including Chicago, St. Louis and Milwaukee and warned residents to stay indoors and avoid the frigid cold altogether.

The forecast is extreme: 32 below zero in Fargo, N.D.; minus 21 in Madison, Wis.; and 15 below zero in Minneapolis, Indianapolis and Chicago. Wind chills — what it feels like outside when high winds are factored into the temperature — could drop into the minus 50s and 60s.

“It’s just a dangerous cold,” said National Weather Service meteorologist Butch Dye in Missouri.

It hasn’t been this cold for almost two decades in many parts of the country. Frostbite and hypothermia can set in quickly at 15 to 30 below zero.

As I write this, the temperature outside my door is -24, and the wind chill would make it seem like -45 … if I was dumb enough to go outside. It never got above zero yesterday, but I still went to church and did some shopping, knowing I wouldn’t get an opportunity to do either for the next couple of days. The weather service has a wind-chill warning up here in effect until late Tuesday, and we’re not expected to see above-zero temps until Wednesday.

Fox News has a little more:

The forecast is extreme: 25 below zero in Fargo, N.D., minus 31 in International Falls, Minn., and minus 15 in Indianapolis and Chicago. Wind chills — what it feels like outside when high winds are factored into the temperature — could drop into the minus 50s and 60s. Northeastern Montana was warned of wind chills up to 59 below zero.

Several Midwestern states received up to a foot of new snow Sunday. Five to 9 inches fell in the Chicago area by Sunday afternoon, St. Louis area had about a foot of snow and northern Indiana had at least 8 inches. Central Illinois braced for 8 to 10 inches, and southern Michigan could see up to 15 inches.

Officials closed several Illinois roadways because of drifting snow and warned residents to stay inside. Roads in the Midwest were particularly dangerous, and officials in Missouri said it was too cold for rock salt to be very effective.

NBC did a segment on the bitter weather this morning as well:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Threatening not just records but lives, a blast of arctic air packing the lowest temperatures in two decades descended on the Midwest on Monday and began a brutal plunge across most of the United States.

People in Minnesota and the Dakotas woke up to temperatures of 20 degrees below zero or worse, and the National Weather Service said that it recorded a wind chill of minus 61 in Montana.

“These temperatures that will be out there will be lower than what’s in your freezer,” warned Greg Ballard, the mayor of Indianapolis.

Actually, it’s far below what you’ll find in your freezer here. I have been using the garage as a “stunt freezer,” since our kitchen freezer is a little overloaded at the moment, and the stunt freezer is working perfectly.

What are your stories of the cold? Share them in the comments below.

Update: Schools are closing tomorrow, too, at least in the Twin Cities:

In a letter to districts, the education commissioner says superintendents should be mindful about health hazards from exposures to the below-zero temperatures as they make decisions.

Monday was the first blanket closure of all public schools in 17 years as the state is gripped with an arctic blast of cold air.

So far, Minneapolis, St. Paul and Roseville announced schools will remain closed on Tuesday.

Today’s closure was ordered by Gov. Mark Dayton, but I suspect we’ll see a statewide closure again tomorrow, just district by district this time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh yeah, and don’t forget to change out those incandescents!!! Deniers!

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Just another day here in Dallas where I woke to 16 degree weather this morning. NBFD. Heater in the truck works fine. Glad I don’t work outside for a living though.

44Magnum on January 6, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Oh yeah, and don’t forget to change out those incandescents!!! Deniers!

WryTrvllr on January 6, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Ya – no kiddin’ – the kind that are nice to have in the house this time of year BECAUSE they put off some heat.

dentarthurdent on January 6, 2014 at 12:55 PM

It was -8 on Saturday. I normally walk my 2 dogs for an hour. I was out long enough for them to 1 and 2, then we left the park and I got coffee.

Rich on January 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM

THANKS CANADA – CAN’T YOU KEEP YOUR COLD TO YOURSELF?
WE EXPECT IMMEDIATE AND PROFUSE APOLOGIES.

Marcola on January 6, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I just finished digging out the car from at least a foot of snow and the temp has warmed up to -4 from -10. We are supposed to get 3 more inches of snow on Wednesday or Thursday.

Vince on January 6, 2014 at 1:11 PM

All cars should carry portable DVD players with “Obama’s Campaign Speeches 2007-2014.” Viewing/listening is scientifically documented to raise human core temps 20-30 degrees F via ‘Warm Fuzzy’ technology. Of course, it will also cause diabetes and/or cancer, but not until 2017 at the earliest.

Marcola on January 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM

It’s raining here in the Tidewater VA area right now – 51 and falling from 69 this morning. Should be fun at 0430 (and 14 degrees) when I have to go to work at Naval Station Norfolk tomorrow. Can you say “black ice”?

Jeff Weimer on January 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I am catching holy hell from my cousin for smoking in the basement but it is just too cold outside

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Ed’s definition of “all over” is a little strange. Watch the BCS championship tonight, and tell me again you think it’s cold “all over” today.

Nessuno on January 6, 2014 at 1:33 PM

We need to ask Al Gore to crank up the heat in his house and fly his jets back and forth over the Great Plains. We could all use some global warming.

Steve Z on January 6, 2014 at 1:42 PM

it didn’t seem to affect Colin Kaepernick yesterday…

..sumbich had short sleeves on in Green Bay.

ToddPA on January 6, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Feels like some of those ski trips in the Rockies I took back in the 70′s and 80′s. I hated those days. Spent more time in the lodges warming up than skiing.

sadatoni on January 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM

It’s a bi-polar vortex.

faraway on January 6, 2014 at 2:01 PM

it didn’t seem to affect Colin Kaepernick yesterday…
..sumbich had short sleeves on in Green Bay.

ToddPA on January 6, 2014 at 1:53 PM

The post game interview was funny – Colin in short sleeves, the media babe all bundled up and he says “it’s not that cold”, but the defense player standing next to him was obviously freezing his @ss off and had a very different opinion….

dentarthurdent on January 6, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Q.What do you call a dozen Global Warming hoaxers trapped by ice in Antarctica?

A. A good start.

(Just doing my best to save the planet by recycling lawyer jokes.)

whatcat on January 6, 2014 at 2:14 PM

It’s global warming!!!..it’s global warming!!!
Currently 75F in Ventura County…but we have no surf.

OccamsRazor on January 6, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Q.What do you call a dozen Global Warming hoaxers trapped by ice in Antarctica?

democrat brain trust

DanMan on January 6, 2014 at 2:25 PM

It doesn’t matter what the weather phenomenon is, Global Warming predicts it.

Murphy9 on January 6, 2014 at 2:28 PM

whatcat on January 6, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Too bad algore wasn’t with them.
He should have been airlifted IN to the boat – and leave them all there.

dentarthurdent on January 6, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Woo hoo, finally got dug out enough to get the truck out. And my street actually got plowed. Now I just have to hope the pipes don’t freeze tonight.

rbj on January 6, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Somebody tell me again why global warming would be a bad thing.

Bitter Clinger on January 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Stay warm to my HotAir friends in the below freezing temperatures. Stay safe!

terryannonline on January 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM

-12 here this a.m. Can you say heat wave. -31 back in early dec. We are out of the polar vortex here in western WY. This is normal for us. I’ve had the water on every nite since early nov.

buy more nat gas so i can go back to work please!

Fred

jrsrigmvr on January 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Ten-twelve inches here in Detroit suburb of Southgate. Temp 1.7 at 3 PM expected to drop fast, -5 by 9PM, -11 or colder by morning. Salt isnt melting the ice. Streets half plowed. They now wait until the snow ends, to save money. Bad wind chill

As a kid I recall -20 on our backyard thermometer, and skating to school after an ice storm. This is more normal for the region, but the news reporting is semi hysterical

Heard supermarket employee yesterday say it was the biggest rush he ever saw, exceeding black Friday. People usually buy all the bread and milk. This time they cleaned out bananas, bagged apples. Carts piled high with beer, chips, junk food. Apples for the apocalypse? Never saw that before. Who bought the apples? Millenials? Boomers? I left the store thinking maybe I should have got apples. Bought extra bottled water because the tap water here is unreal. Smells like mold. That would be hell, having to drink the water

Checkout lines halfway across the store. Bought an electric blanket for tonight. OK unless we lose power.

So now I pray we keep power. The cats will not understand if I have to box them up and haul them somewhere at 2 in the morning. They never forget. That is what I fear. Cat retribution

entagor on January 6, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Posting on this thread made me realize I might just have to bail at 2 in the morning if I lose power. Guess I better get my longjohns and Baffin boots and dig out my car now and start it up, in case I need it tonight.

Dang reality

entagor on January 6, 2014 at 3:54 PM

entagor on January 6, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Tacks, staples, and broken glass hidden in your shoes? I had a kitty like that.

Murphy9 on January 6, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Just dug out my car. Snow buried the wheels. It is now -5 and blowing. Car doors all frozen shut with all the scrapers and brushes locked inside. Got a mop stick to beat the door and when the plastic mop flange shattered in the cold, used it to pry the door gaskets free. Moved the car around to make an escape path

It is cooling faster than predicted

Glad I stopped by Hotair. This thread gave me the incentive to dig out the car before the sun went down. No way was I going to get the car doors open at -16 in the dark

Cats are suspicious. I broke the routine. Usually when I skulk around the car, they end up at the vet

Everyone stay warm

entagor on January 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM

We woke up to 18 degrees and a cold,cold wind. I know that is not as bad as many of you up North deal with on many days. But most of us down here just don’t have the kind of clothing for this type weather. I went to work in a long sleeve shirt, a jacket and a heavy coat, and the cold still was a shocker.

Everyone stay warm, and Omaha Conservative, I am thinking of your family.

jazzuscounty on January 6, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Car doors all frozen shut with all the scrapers and brushes locked inside…

entagor on January 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM

…which is exactly why I always remind myself to bring the scraper in from the car when I get home at night.

JimLennon on January 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

It is cooling faster than predicted

Everyone stay warm

entagor on January 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM

My cats disappear like Houdini when I bring the travel crates up from the basement.

Current forecast for here in NY:

Wind Chill readings, between 25 and 35 below zero.

Winds: west 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph possible.

Timing: late tonight through Tuesday. The coldest wind chill values will occur Tuesday morning. The strongest winds will begin this evening and continue through Tuesday before subsiding Tuesday evening.
Temperatures: between 0 and 10 below zero Tuesday morning. Rising into the single digits for highs Tuesday afternoon.

Impacts: dangerously cold wind chills will pose a risk for frost bite and hypothermia for anyone outside, even for a short period of time. This is Life-threatening cold for those not in shelter. In addition, strong winds could down tree limbs, causing isolated power outages and also make travel difficult for high profile vehicles.

JetBoy on January 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

JimLennon on January 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

We keep one in the car and one in the house.
Beautiful weather in Denver today; took down my Christmas lights.
Warm wishes to all in the cold regions. Stay safe.

AesopFan on January 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM

We had 14 inches of snow here in the far northern Detroit suburbs. Temps are down to -5 expected to go as low as -15 tonight, and that’s not including wind chill.

I know I sound like an old timer but these are the winters I remember growing up in far northern (northwestern) Ohio. We had at least one 14-18 inch snowfall each winter it seemed like. Now, even in Michigan, we get six inches of snow and everyone goes nuts. Although maybe people will recalibrate their snowpocalypse meter after the whopper we just got. We’ll see.

Grace_is_sufficient on January 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Al Gore can go lick a flag pole.

V7_Sport on January 6, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I really like classic.wunderground.com

I have been following a weatherstation in my neighborhood
the temps are dropping in a straight line,

6:35 pm -7.1
6:50 -7.8
7:10 -8.6
7:40 -8.4
8:26 -10.6

This is quite a cold front. Usually the coldest temps hit after midnight

entagor on January 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM

And to think that by Friday, the temps are going to be in the 40s here in western PA. I’ll be able to go outside in my shorts. ;)

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Bah, we’re spared for the most part here in northeast Ohio. -12, and -40 windchill, but no snow or ice so life is on for tomorrow.

PatriotGal2257 on January 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Heh, it was 29 here and sunny so I did actually go out in shorts and a t-shirt. Felt nice.

jarodea on January 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM

We had a high of 79 today in SE Florida.

#globullwarmongering

Mark Boabaca on January 6, 2014 at 10:34 PM

How many hundreds of billions of dollars have been wasted on the man-made Global Warming scam? How much longer will the taxpayers of the world be forced to give their hard earned money to these scammers? They have already been taking in train loads of money from taxpayer for more than 30 years.

When is enough… enough?

Axion on January 7, 2014 at 2:15 AM

The following is an excerpt from: http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/time-magazine-goes-both-ways-on-the-polar-vortex/

In 1974, Time Magazine blamed the cold polar vortex on global cooling:

Scientists have found other indications of global cooling. For one thing there has been a noticeable expansion of the great belt of dry, high-altitude polar winds —the so-called circumpolar vortex—that sweep from west to east around the top and bottom of the world.

Forty years later, Time Magazine blames the cold polar vortex on global warming:

But not only does the cold spell not disprove climate change, it may well be that global warming could be making the occasional bout of extreme cold weather in the U.S. even more likely. Right now much of the U.S. is in the grip of a polar vortex, which is pretty much what it sounds like: a whirlwind of extremely cold, extremely dense air that forms near the poles.

At least the 1974 version made sense. Bryan Walsh’s 2014 version makes a complete farce out of science.

anotherJoe on January 7, 2014 at 3:12 AM

I’m seeing reports of single digit temperatures across the upstate of South Carolina this morning. That’s the coldest I remember seeing since about 1983, or somewhere along there.

backwoods conservative on January 7, 2014 at 6:15 AM

ATL 6

Bmore on January 7, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Around 35 years ago, my mom, stepdad and I drove about 5 hours to go skiing. The evening we got there it was 15 below zero, with wind chill around 50-60 below. The resort said two things:

1) No charge for lift tickets
2) If you don’t come back in, we won’t look for you until morning

I was bound and determined to ski, so off I went. Nearly froze to the ski lift chair and then, occasionally, the wind gusting up the slope would actually stop me while going downhill. I’d hit the bottom and go inside for about 10 minutes to warm up and then head back out again.

I’m glad to be able to say that I skied when it was that darned cold, but I would never willingly repeat that experience. Even bundled up like the Michelin Man, it was unpleasant.

Physics Geek on January 7, 2014 at 8:44 AM

1) No charge for lift tickets
2) If you don’t come back in, we won’t look for you until morning

Physics Geek on January 7, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I can honestly say I’ve never gotten a free lift ticket because of the weather. When I was still living in Wash, DC me and two buddies took a day trip to somewhere in PA, I forget which place, and it was single-digit cold and windy…and snowing. The places around there have a short season as it is, and they ned to make all the $$ they can. Let’s just say it ain’t Vermont, and it certainly isn’t Colorado.

That far South, you ski wherever you can. First half of the day was rough…then lunch, a couple pitchers of beer, and out to the car for some quick doobage, and back to the slopes. We basically laughed our frozen butts off the rest of the day skiing. We all looked like the little kin in “A Christmas Story” all bundled up and could barely move our arms.

JetBoy on January 7, 2014 at 10:29 AM